The Past

S

Seiji

Original poster
"The past isn't dead. It isn't even past."

Let's face it: we all have regrets. Even those of us who say we live our lives to the fullest, and try to do things we don't regret... Well, we still have them. And I like to think I'm one of those people.

If you could go back and change one thing, ONE THING, about your past, what would it be, and why? How do you think it would change your life now?

And if you are against the idea of changing something about your history, why is that? Are you happy with the decisions you've made until now?

I'm not changing a damn thing because the assumption is that that one thing you want to change will fix whatever went wrong then but it will let you remain who you are now, pre-change, and we all know that's utter wishful bullshit. And don't front motherfuckers, we all know that "one thing" is usually a major point in whoeverthefuck's life but they're so full of guilt and bruised mental image of themself that they just want to say that it never happened.

Pain, embarassment and regret BUILDS CHARACTER YOU PUSSIES. And fuck, I -like- myself now. I'm fucking awesome and full of smug self-satisfaction.

I'm not changing a damn thing because the assumption is that that one thing you want to change will fix whatever went wrong then but it will let you remain who you are now, pre-change, and we all know that's utter wishful bullshit. And don't front motherfuckers, we all know that "one thing" is usually a major point in whoeverthefuck's life but they're so full of guilt and bruised mental image of themself that they just want to say that it never happened.

Pain, embarassment and regret BUILDS CHARACTER YOU PUSSIES. And fuck, I -like- myself now. I'm fucking awesome and full of smug self-satisfaction.

AMEN brother! Praise the Lord!

EDIT:

Short version: I'm not so resolute as the people above me. I imagine how some things could have gone from time to time, but every time I choose something that I'd theoretically remove, the domino effect of lost growth and benefits, both for me and those I interacted with, are too great--even the stuff that made me want to die ended up making me tons more resilient.

The best I can come up with are a few hastey purchases and maybe a few small conversations, but even those had lessons to teach me.

Maybe a few McDonald's visits where the fries came out so nasty I couldn't eat them, and I'd bought the large.

I sort of agree with Koo, but with less swearing.
Everything that has ever happened to me, be it large or small, has gotten me to this point, right here, answering this (more or less). I'm happy with my life right now, and I have things I wouldn't change for the world. If by some chance, one little decision (though my real regret is not small), I would be in a different place and probably without the happiness I have only just recently discovered possible.

Because honesty is more important than coolness or consistency, something just occurred to me: Sometimes I wish I'd fought harder to see the last living relative who knew my family's history. No one else cared.

Well, on the bright side I admit it does reinfoce my belief in focusing on the worth of what I, as an individual, do as opposed to feeling bound by or reliant on my lineage. Sometimes I think, if I did know, it might distract me from living in the now, and sometimes I doubt I need any help with that.

Like this without the smug self-satisfaction. Each event is just a step. Each memory acts on the consciousness and defines you. We are a sum of our memories through the filters of our perspectives, just like we define how we remember what happens to us.

I too don't want to change anything in my past. D: Sometimes I think about how I could have done something different, or smack myself in the forehead cause I feel bad about something. But in the end it's made me who I am now and without some of those really shitty moments, I wouldn't be able to help other people or understand situations as well as I do.

Doesn't stop me from thinking "What if..." though. c__c

I like how everyone in this thread agrees with eachother....