"Are we just having a pity party? You're cute; I'm cute. Let's not talk ourselves down, hm? I'll fix the wall, you know. I'll... buy a cool painting and stick it over it, nobody will ever know. Besides, we don't get many guests. We hang out at other people's places, it ain't a big deal, Max," the other man responded as he finally made his way upstairs, making sure to show some affection by grabbing his boyfriend's hand tightly in his own. As he did, though, the question still lingered in his head about possibly returning home on day. He didn't even know where his home planet was, how far away it was, whether it even still existed. For all he knew, he could have been sent off to avoid being the victim of his planet's implosion. It was just as likely as his parents sending him away because they didn't care for him, which was what he had always thought to be the case.

"...I don't want to do that. Go 'home', I mean. This is my home. I... god knows where I'm from, Max. I like it here, yeah? I'd rather be here," he answered easily, taking his spot by the crib again with a beer in hand. He barely got drunk, so one beer wasn't going to be too big of an issue. "I don't remember anything anyway. My 'home' could be a shit hole."

'"Maybe it's sort of a Superman situation," he offered with a raised brow at the idea before moving to take the can for a small sip himself. He was the opposite in the sense that, depending on the drink, he could get tipsy in just two cans. Watching the other quietly, he nervously rubbed his neck before fiddling with the sleeves of his oversized jumper. "Yeah, maybe you're, like, the prince of your planet or something and your planet was going to explode so they were like, 'go my son, continue the legacy' or something like that. I could be dating royalty, wouldn't that be weird?" He suggested with a creeping smile.

"It would be a Cinderella story, wouldn't it? To be swept away from a monotonous life to being a royal member. I could wear cute suits and just... look nice all day. I don't really know what my role would be but that sounds fun, just relaxing all day," he babbled on honestly before yawning. "I wouldn't have to stay up for days working on finals, though."

"Listen, even if that was the case, I wouldn't leave this behind. This is home, right? Your parents raised me, it wouldn't feel right just leaving this place. Nah, my parents abandoned me and I'm not going to rush back home if I had the option. I like it here," he emphasised, turning his attention to his daughter with a few gushing coos to settle her whines, knowing that all she needed was a little attention to comfort her.

"...Would you seriously come with me?" He asked with a sudden grin. He wasn't entertaining the idea of leaving given how impossible it seemed, and nor did he want to even if the option was available, but the fact Max seemed up for it if it was was charming. "You'd know how it'd feel to be me, then. Being an alien on another planet and all."

“Well, assuming I could survive there. I know that planets have different atmospheres and obviously you don’t have the same body functions as me. For all I know, you could have some organ that helps you adapt to all environments. Your planet could have, like, no oxygen and that would suck,” he noted as he eased back in the chair to close his eye.

“I’m sure everyone would be freaked out. Like, I’m just some squishy human. Your real form is huge and tough, Milo. Who knows how big they could be? I could be squished without even being noticed. That would suck,” he admitted with a smile.

"If they're anything like I am, you'd be tiny-- that'd be adorable, though. If it ever happened, I'd totally take care of you, obviously. But hey, it won't happen so relax. They sent me away, right? They can't care that much about me so all I need is you and Soleil. It's nice having our friends, but they're not as important to me as you guys," the alien remarked with a playful wink, if only to try and counter against how soppy he knew his words were. He had no problem showing his emotions, but the last thing he needed was to have an emotion outpouring. He was much more eager to chill out with the Chinese food and some beers; just have a nice, normal night in without tears and sobbing.

"Who don't you like me hanging out with? You said there were people you didn't like me being around, right? Tell me who, I won't be mad," he grinned, leaning back with a growing smile. "I'm curious. Nobody likes me, Max. They're just friends. Ricky, on the other hand, has this whole weird plan to get you. I have a reason to hate him."

“I really hate Jenny,” he admitted with a shrug. “I don’t know why you want to spend time with her, seriously. Her voice is so grating, she looks horrible and all she does is talk shit behind everyone’s back. I also don’t like John M. Like, he’s way too touchy-feely with everyone. I don’t like random hugs or being pat on the shoulder, it’s weird.” He insisted with pursed lips as he absently moved for another sip of beer.

“All in all, they’re all very loud. You like loud people a lot, yeah? I don’t know why but it’s fine. I mean, they’re my friends if they’re yours, so I gotta like them a little bit, don’t i?”

• Thank You
Reactions: potassiumboron
"That's kinda rude. Jenny's always been super nice to me, she was teaching me all about Biology and stuff. And sure, John gets a little touchy-feely, but he's got a heart of gold and I don't mind the hugs. It's all platonic, you know? I like them. They're loud but so am I-- I'm pretty loud around our friends," reminded Milo with a faint smile at the sudden insults. He didn't condone insults against his friends, especially when he didn't think they were warranted, but he gave Max a free pass, simply because it was nice to hear him speak his mind and not be sat on the fence.

"Tomorrow I'll go online and start searching for a babysitter on those sites so I know they're good. I know Soleil's still young but it's worth searching around now in case she has a growth spurt soon, you know? I want to go on a date or two with you without having to drag all the baby stuff out with us," he admitted, having set the beer aside to tend to the baby when the instinct to cuddle her and keep her close kicked in-- not that it really ever went away. "I'm sure she'll figure out how to change forms and stuff-- how long did it take me when we were kids? A month?"

“Yeah but you were already grown up a bit,” he reminded with pursed lips. “I mean, we don’t have to go out for awhile. I mean, I’ve got to work on school anyway so going out isn’t ideal yet,” he reminded before finishing the beer with a soft groan.

“God, everything hurts, Milo. Like, I know I'm stupid and I know I don't take care of myself. I've been mostly sleeping in the campus center when I can and just studying. The worst part is that I probably won't even get a good grade. I'll probably be average while I'm getting sick over a paper. That isn't fair," he grumbled with a pout. "... as for your friends, you should tell them to stop touching me so much. It's weird, you know?"

"You could just tell them yourself, they're not jerks. They won't continue to overstep your boundaries if you tell them where those boundaries are-- and if they don't respect that, then I'll get involved and make them respect it," the alien grinned, trying his best to stay somewhat upbeat so the night didn't derail into another evening of regret and upset. After the week he had had, chilling out with his boyfriend was all he wanted to do, in a happy, relaxed environment. Given their issues, it was probably too much to ask for, but he was at least trying to keep things positive and relaxed.

"I know it'll be a while, but it'd be cool to do the proper date thing with you, we haven't done that. I could whisk you off to a nice restaurant-- I'm charming, you know? I'm sure I could charm waiters into giving us a free meal," he continued with the same wide smile on his face, propping his feet up to lay out a little, finding the most comfortable position to support the baby in his arms. "Or we could take a day trip, go swimming at the beach or take a hike up a hill-- I'd rather focus on the positives, Max. You'll get good grades, that's a guarantee. You stress out too much-- and even if you don't, it's not the end of the world."

“I guess. I’m sorry, I’m just super tired,” he explained before rubbing his face. Slowly getting to his feet, he offered a smile as his knees popped all the while. “I probably smell stinky, I’m going to take a shower, okay? I mean, I’d prefer a bath but I’d probably fall asleep and slip in which probably wouldn’t be a good idea,” he admitted before raising his brows.

“... would you mind joining me or do you want to stay with the baby? I mean, you can do that but it’s been a whole week since I was able to be really close to you,” he admitted with rosy cheeks and a nervous smile. “I mean, it’s up to you. I just know I smell gross and don’t want to anymore.”

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: potassiumboron
Understandably, Milo wasn't too fond of leaving the baby alone; he was a new father and while he knew that she would be fine in the crib, he couldn't help but worry that something might happen if he wasn't sat beside her, watching every breath she made. It was impossible to spend every minute of his day beside her, he knew that, but the mild panic still set in that he was somehow abandoning her and that, in his absence, she would just get sick or struggle to breathe without his watchful eye on her.

Eventually, after a long moment of contemplation, during which he fussed over Soleil to ensure she was alright, he gave a nod of confirmation and made his way into the bathroom. Maintaining the bond in his relationship was also important, and, after a week apart, the intimacy was something they both clearly needed.

"I don't want to spend too long in the shower, though. I don't like being away from her," he admitted as he tugged his plaid shirt off, shrugging to himself. "I just worry she'll get sick or something without me, so..."

“She’s fine, Milo,” he insisted with a halfhearted smile while hiding his annoyance. After all, he goes a week with zero affection and just constant stress and now he’s denied a simple shower because a baby he didn’t want? It’s naturally a bit stressful, but he chose to keep quiet and simply undressed while keeping his eye away.

“I just... want to spend time with you, Milo. I mean, you’re my boyfriend and it just feels strange to not have you around. I love you, you know? How am I supposed to show you I love you if you’re busy with the baby?” He asked before starting up the shower and undressing.

"Do you just expect me to not tend to my daughter if she needs me? I get it, you never asked for this, but you'll have to accept that I need to sacrifice time with you sometimes. That's just how it is," he shrugged, refusing to get annoyed at the remark. It could annoy him if he chose to let it, but the last thing they needed was an argument about it. Besides, he had been told by Max that he was there to help; he couldn't really complain now he'd promised to lend a hand when it was needed. If he had expressed doubts, Milo wouldn't have minded too much, and while he could tell him that, he wisely chose to mvoe on to try and keep the atmosphere light.

"I'm with you now, right? We're having a shower. I haven't told you to piss off-- I want to keep our relationship going. It's just a balancing act," he smiled, leaning against the wall a little to he didn't knock into the shower head; something that had become increasingly likely after his last growth spurt. "...She's my kid, I have to look after her. That doesn't mean we can't do stuff. It's not as big a deal as you're making it out to be, Max."

--------

[ I'm not sure if you're getting my messages. I don't know if it's a problem you're having after the update, which is totally fine if it is. If you can't access them, I'm sure there's someone on here who could help? ]

“It’s important to me,” he whispered in response. “I just want affection. I’m not saying that, that should be put in front of the baby but I do still want to cuddle and get close and kiss...” he insisted before moving for a quick kiss on the lips.

“I’m sorry, I’m acting spoiled. I just missed you,” he insisted with a small smile. “Like... a lot, aha. Everything should get back to normal in a few days with all of this, right? I’ll get used to the baby and I’ll finish school.”

Oh shit, really? I didn’t get a notification for messages. I’ll check it now

"You are acting spoiled," he confirmed with an unsubtle roll of his eyes, snorting under his breath once the other seemed to understand how he was acting. It was annoying and he much preferred Max admitting to it, rather than having to call him out on it. That said, he did try to joke about it and seem like it wasn't a big deal. Honesty was important, but so was keeping a good atmosphere and getting back on track after a tumultuous week of changes and absence. If he had to lie and pretend that Max's behaviour wasn't that irksome, so be it.

Besides, he was sure that his own behaviour was irritating, too, and Max didn't call him out about it too often. Least he could do was return the favour.

"But I love you, even if you're a little shit sometimes. It'll be fine, I keep telling you. You didn't ask for Soleil, I get that, but you'll grow to love her, I'm pretty sure. You love me, and she's going to be just like me, I already know. Better than her turning out like her mother, right?" He grinned smugly, pressing in a little closer to try and make the romantic effort Max seemed to desire. "...I'm not saying we can't get affectionate because she's here, that's just dumb. Our relationship isn't gonna change that much, Max."

His small smile dropped at the critique, though he chose to say nothing. Instead, he simply closed his eyes wearily. His emotions sure as hell weren’t helped by his lack of sleep, after all. If it weren’t for the fact that he had things to do, the best treatment for him would probably a good 24 hours of sleep to just... recharge. Unfortunately he wasn’t given that opportunity, especially not with a crying baby. Washing his hair quickly with shampoo, he focused on that instead as he tried to formulate the right words.

“I’m not good at balancing things, isn’t that obvious?” He reminded with a shiver. “I mean, fuck - it’s hard just doing school. I know you’ve got Soleil and thatsca stressor but... but I have school and managing our finances. Just - I don’t want you to be mad at me when I get pissed about this. I’ve already had an emotional breakdown while you were gone and I don’t want another.”

"It'll be stressful, I'm not pretending it won't be. But we'll manage. I promise you I'll support you and I'll get a job-- somehow. I'll fake documents or something, I'll find a job when Soleil is old enough to be left with someone and... we'll figure this out, babe," the alien smiled, especially when Soleil's slight cries died down in a few seconds. When he was eager for his boyfriend to accept her, her cries wouldn't have exactly helped convince him when he was this emotionally wrought. He wanted things to go as smoothly as possible, with little to no problems. Just one issue would heap tons of unwanted pressure on them but, predictably, problems seemed to gravitate towards them at the moment.

The issue in particular came to Milo's attention the next morning. As he got showered again and got dressed, he became aware of the fact Soleil didn't seem to be responding to his voice as he assumed she would. Throughout the week, she hadn't done it at ll and he figured she would eventually, so when he didn't seem to get any reaction, it did concern him, especially when he knew a visit to the doctors wasn't an option.

Soleil wasn't completely human. Any doctor might notice that, if she was anything like her father, she had more than one heart or her blood was discoloured. Obviously, Milo couldn't take the risk, which meant he had to cautiously scour the net for details, and only one thing stood out. It was the most obvious piece of information, but he had naively chosen to ignore it, until the truth became unavoidable.

"Maybe I... I can get a hearing aid for her or something? Maybe she's not deaf, just... hard of hearing, yeah?" He began quietly, his voice hoarse as he struggled to hold back his emotion, his eyes locked on his daughter in her crib. "This is my fault, I... I'm not fucking human, I shouldn't have been with a human like that-- what if she's going to be sick her whole life, Max? What if she's gonna be plagued with illnesses because I knocked up a human? It's my fucking fault, I'm an idiot."

Naturally, Maxwell kept by, helping the other occasionally, though stayed more in the background of Soleil’s life. He cared for Milo and, as an extension, Soleil, and while he would help whenever needed, he knew he wasn’t the main focus for their relationship. He didn’t want to be, as a matter of fact. In situations like these, though, he wasn’t going to just sit back and let his boyfriend stress out.

If anyone knew how to relate to the situation, it was probably Maxwell. After all, he saw Milo as physically perfect while he was the antithesis of that. Peering down at the sleeping Soleil, he set a comforting hand on the other’s shoulder.

“Just because she’s deaf doesn’t mean she’s sick, don’t be insensitive,” he began before daring the girl into his arms, curious for a reaction. “Maybe she’ll need a hearing aid, sure. Maybe we’ll just need to learn sign language. I mean, it’s something I’ve been meaning to do anyway, yeah? This isn’t the end of the world, relax,” he reassured with a smile.

"You can't just tell me to relax, Maxwell. This might just be the start of a whole life of issues for her-- how do I know it won't be? Maybe I'm not supposed to... have kids, at least not outside my species. Maybe it'l just end with Soleil getting sicker and sicker until-- I don't want to go down that road, it'll fucking stress me out," he admitted weakly, his eyes cautiously locked on his daughter just in case she did react and he had been worrying over nothing. When she didn't seem to stir at the noise, only to the feeling of being picked up, he grimaced deeper.

"I know she's not sick; I get that. But she might end up getting sick, or be prone to infection, or... or a ton of stuff," he explained, biting on his nails as he moved to the window, just to give himself something else to look at. "I... I'm sure it'll be okay, yeah? We can learn sign language, I... I can pick that up easily, I think-- and she's growing quickly, so I'll have to learn it quick, and... and being deaf isn't the end of the world, you're right. I just... I panicked. She's alright, yeah?"

“We’ll just have to monitor her, is all, and you’re doing a brilliant job of that,” he reassured with a small smile all the while rocking the baby carefully. He had spent a class on his computer in the very back room watching videos on the very action to perfect it, despite risking getting in trouble or missing vital information. He would never admit it but it was proof that he at least cared enough to try.

“Listen, she’ll be fine. I’ll... buy a book on sign language, we can learn together after next week. We can spend the whole summer, yeah?” He reassured the other before setting the baby back and taking his time to join up with the other. “Only one of us is allowed to be stressed right now, so relax.”