3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
  4. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, magical, modern, medieval, horror, dark fantasy, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, adventure, action, anime
Destiny-The-Traveller-fan-art.png

"You are a dead thing, made by a dead power, in the shape of the dead. All you will ever do is kill. You do not belong here." ~ Legends: The Black Garden, Destiny's Grimoire

Have you head of the Traveler theory? Before Destiny lost it's head writer and designer, it was revealed by a number of sources that a character (removed in the released version) would reveal that the Traveler and its Speaker could not be trusted. That the Traveler was the reason for the Darkness coming, the Collpase occuring, and was not some benevolent, terra-forming being that raised humanity to its Golden Age.

This is the story I would like to write: take Destiny as it was released (but still giving its developers all due credit and respect) on its head and have the Traveler be the source of trouble, and take a darker look into the game itself (has anyone ever considered how messed up Guardians can become? Dying and resurrecting over and over, knowing nothing else but the fight?)

This may be unorthodox, but I encourage anyone interested to watch this: Destiny's Lost Plot. It's a detailed video about the Traveler theory and incredibly useful! Below I'm including relevant world information, mostly from the Grimoire cards (Destiny's lore)- which, I might add, gave me a whole new respect for the game- and links to lore that I found fascinating/intriguing. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ THEM. I'm including a bunch of information and those are there only if you're interested (which I hope you will be but trust me, I'm not aiming to overload you all ;) )

So! Please post below if you're interested and if enough people jump in, I'll create an OOC that we can begin plotting in (feel free to post ideas here too!).

Reference links:
Destiny's Lost Plot
Destiny Wiki: Grimoire Cards
Destiny's Tracker: Grimoire

WORLD INFORMATION

(Not taken from the Grimoire) On the first human expedition to Mars, we discovered the Traveler. The Traveler is a spherical being, moon-like in size, a celestial being. For one reason or another, the Traveler became a great aid to humanity. It gifted them its Light, terra-forming planets so we could expand across the solar system. Mercury became a garden world. Venus's endless storms ceased and the air became breathable. With Light, humanity's technology was uplifted, their lifespan tripled, and for centuries after humans basked in the Golden Age. Then the Darkness came. A ancient enemy of the Traveler, the Darkness entered the solar system like a galactic hurricane, destroying everything in its path and paving way for creatures like the Hive, Fallen, and Cabal to invade. This is known as the Collapse. The Traveler fought off the Darkness, pushing it out of the solar system, but injuring itself in the process. With its Light, the Traveler settled over the last City on Earth, protecting it to this day, and created Ghosts. These Ghosts were sent to seek out Guardians- last hope for survival as enemies still - and then the Traveler went dormant. But the Darkness is coming back.This is where Destiny begins.
Guardians- "Legends are carved across history by the brave." Guardians are warriors forged in the Traveler's Light, a final hope in a universe falling into Darkness. Chosen from the dead by the Traveler's Ghosts, Guardians are those rare few able to wield the Light as a weapon. For centuries they have defended the City. But that defense cannot hold forever. Now, with the Darkness rising again, the time has come to retake our lost worlds. The Guardians who lead the way will save humanity - and become legend.

Ghosts- "In its dying breath, the Traveler created the Ghosts...To seek out those who can wield its Light as a weapon. Guardians, to protect us, and do what the Traveler itself no longer can." - The Speaker Built from machinery and the Traveler's Light, Ghosts guide their Guardian companions in the quest to reclaim our solar system. Every Ghost seeks out its Guardian among the ancient dead. The Ghost serves as scout, librarian, and mechanic, waking ancient machinery and cracking alien codes. In the right situations, a Ghost can even save a Guardian from death. But Ghosts are not immortal. As far as Guardians know, every loss is irreplaceable.
Lore: Ghost Fragment: Ghosts

Humans- "This was our world, our solar system. We were here first. And no matter what the darkness brings, we will be here at the dawn." Humans are survivors, tough and resilient, descended from those who built a Golden Age only to see it ripped away. Now, after an age of retreat and desperate struggle, they fight to take back their solar system and claim a new future. There are those who believe The Traveler chose Earth for a reason. Now it is humanity's obligation to prove itself worthy of the Traveler's faith.
Lore: Ghost Fragment: Human 5

Exo- "Ask yourself: what threatened your Golden Age ancestors so much that they constructed the Exos to defend themselves?" Built for a long-forgotten struggle, Exos are self-aware war machines so advanced that nothing short of a Ghost can understand their inner functions. They remain ciphers, even to themselves: their origins and purpose lost to time. Whoever built the Exos fashioned them in humanity's image, gifting them with diversity of mind and body. Many of The City's Exo citizens live and work alongside their organic brethren. But others fight again, re-forged in the Light of the Traveler to serve as Guardians.
Lore: Ghost Fragment: Exo
Ghost Fragment: Exo 2
Ghost Fragment: Exo 3

Awoken- "The others sing this song of Light and Dark. We, together, have transcended such unimaginative limitations." It is said that the Awoken were born in the Collapse, descended from those who tried to flee its wrath. Something happened to them out on the edge of the deep black, and they were forever changed. Today many Awoken live in the distant Reef, aloof and mysterious. But others returned to Earth, where their descendants now fight for The City. Earthborn Awoken who venture out to the Reef, hoping to learn its secrets, find no special welcome from the reclusive Queen.
Lore:Ghost Fragment: Awoken 2
Ghost Fragment: Awoken 3

Destiny-s-Three-Races-and-Classes-Revealed.jpg

Fallen- "We have butchers at our gates - four-armed and eager for slaughter." The Fallen are ruthless scavengers. Brutal and uncaring, they arrived on their massive Ketches in the wake of the Collapse to loot and pillage our devastated worlds. There are hints of ancient nobility to the Fallen - the scars of lost grandeur. The Kells of their scattered Houses still claim to be royalty. But they leave only grief and wreckage in their wake. Races: Dregs, Shanks, Vandals, Captains, Servitors, Kells
Lore: Ghost Fragment: Fallen

Hive- "There are nightmares rising from the shadows, and they hunger for our dying hope." The Hive are an ancient, festering evil. Their antipathy to the Light transcends hatred. To the Hive, the eternal struggle between Light and Dark is not only a war, it is a crusade - all Light must be devoured so Darkness can reclaim the universe. Races: Thrall, Acolytes, Knights, Ogres, Wizards
Lore: Ghost Fragment: Hive 2

Vex- "Living metal. Incomprehensible intelligence." The Vex are architects of ancient and complex structures thought to be buried within every celestial body. Linked by a network unlike any on Earth, they operate in unison, directed by a single unfathomable purpose. Races: Goblins, Hobgoblins, Harpies, Minotaurs, Hydras
Lore: Ghost Fragment: Vex

Cabal- "I think you could follow a trail of shattered worlds all the way to their home." Tactically efficient, disciplined, and unrelenting, the Cabal are the greatest known military force in the system. Their origins and ultimate objectives are a mystery, but it seems clear they have conquered more worlds than humanity has ever known. Cabal soldiers wear pressurized armor that replicates the environment of their high-gravity home world. Their field tactics depend on ranks of Legionaries supported by air power, elite infantry, and ultra-heavy armor. Races: Legionaries, Centurions, Colossuses, Psions, Phalanxes
Lore: Ghost Fragment: Cabal 2
Ghost Fragment: Cabal 3
Ghost Fragment: Cabal 4

Destiny-enemy-races.jpg

Classes:
Titan- "Strive for honor. Stand for hope." Titans are warriors - heroic defenders of the Light, channeling the gifts of The Traveler to wage war on The Darkness. Steadfast and sure, Titans face any challenge head-on, blunt force instruments of the Traveler's will.
Lore: Ghost Fragment: Titan

Warlock- "We have found new ways to weaponize curiosity. Pathways into the darkness." Warrior-scholars of the Light, Warlocks devote themselves to understanding the Traveler and its power. A Warlock's mind is an arsenal of deadly secrets, balanced between godhood and madness. On the battlefield, those secrets can shatter reality itself.
Lore: Ghost Fragment: Warlock
Ghost Fragment: Warlock 2
Hunter- "Our old worlds have grown feral - rabid beasts with teeth of rust and ruin. But such beasts are meant to be tamed. Or broken." Hunters stalk the wilderness beyond the City, harnessing the Light to reclaim the secrets of our lost worlds. They are daring scouts and stealthy killers, expert with knives and precision weapons. Hunters blaze their own trails and write their own laws.
Lore: Ghost Fragment: Hunter

Sub-Classes:
Guardian Abilities- "There is a Light in you from which no Darkness can hide." Only Guardians have the gift of the Traveler's Light - the ability to channel its energies to project vast power into the world. Even without a firearm, a Guardian is a radiant engine of destruction. While these abilities rise from within, Guardians master their power in different ways. Titans understand the Light as a force to hone through practice and strict discipline. Hunters roam and explore in order to learn, using dangerous methods to survive the wilds. And Warlocks study the Light and its inner mechanisms, confronting unfathomable mysteries in the search for transcendent might.
Lore: Ghost Fragment: Abilities

Light can be manifested in three different energies: Arc (lightning), Solar (fire), and Void (a form of pure energy, purple in color). Titans, Warlocks, and Hunters can use each type of Light as a subclass, are manifested in different ways. Subclasses are listed below:

Titan Subclasses- Strikers are Titans using Arc Light. They channel lightning through their fists and can create devastating shockwaves or electrical pulses through the ground. They are the tanks in battle, eager to be first to charge into battle.
Sunbreakers wield the infamous Hammer of Sol, a weapon made of pure Solar Light that can be thrown at enemies.Titans who train in this class are consumed by flames when wielding the Hammer, and can channel fire through their melee attacks. Sunbreakers are known for their unshakable honor- even those who still wander the wilds as mercenaries.
Defenders take to the Void to erect impregnable barriers. They protect allies, repel all incoming attacks, and hinder any enemies ignorant enough to enter their ward. They are the shields on the battlefield, rallying allies and providing an escape when retreat is the only option.

Warlock Subclasses- Stormcallers are fearsome conduits of lightning, channeling it through their bodies so they glide across the battlefield and release chains of lightning through their palms. They easily rip through enemy ranks and even other Guardians are wary when facing them in the Crucible.
Sunsingers are phoenixes personified, as fire cloaks them in the visage of phoenix wings. Using Solar Light, they replenish their attacks swiftly and can even heal themselves. If they fall, they resurrect themselves at a faster rate and without the need of their Ghosts.
Voidwalkers, masters of the arcane, use the Void light to create Nova bombs-- massive bolts of energy that hurdle through the air and disintegrate any enemies caught in its blast radius.

Hunter Sublasses- Bladedancers channel Arc Light through body and blade. Their speed and agility increase, movements untraceable to the eye, and can even gain invisibility for short periods. They can kill groups of enemies without receiving a scratch, and can be full of surprises.
Gunslingers own the Golden Gun, a legendary hand cannon infused with Solar Light. Limited in rounds, they are nevertheless brutal with one shot, instant kills, and their enemies turning to ash.
Nightstalkers are the equivalent of the Defender Titan-- with a few extra perks. They are the best at laying traps, using smoke bombs to cloak allies and disable enemies, and their Gravity Bow channels the Void into a concentrated vortex that ensnares any nearby enemies and siphons their energy.

468px-Trio.jpg

Name:
Race:
Appearance:
Power:
Skills: (what are they good at? List 2-6)
Flaws: (what are they bad at? List 2-6)
Personality traits: (Minimum of 3 positive traits, 2 negative)
Brief History:
Other: (anything else should we know? What their desires are? Goals? Likes/Dislikes? Anything can be added here but please limit to only what would be relevant in the RP)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Spectre of the Fade
I'd be interested, definitely interested. I'll catch up on the lore tomorrow, if you're still looking for people?

• Love
Reactions: SilentxChaos
Absolutely!

Officially caught up. Pretty mindblown, damn. That Game Theories video brought up some crazy good questions, so my question is how you want to work that into the role-play? Do you have an idea for the plot line and where we'd start, or are you looking for input?

Officially caught up. Pretty mindblown, damn. That Game Theories video brought up some crazy good questions, so my question is how you want to work that into the role-play? Do you have an idea for the plot line and where we'd start, or are you looking for input?
More input than anything. I admit being ok with plotting but not great, which is why I hope to get a group together and we can all contribute. I guess in vague terms, I figured we can start with one of two things: either the theory and plot go hand-in-hand, as in the Traveler and Speaker are the antagonists and our characters' ultimate goal is to destroy it/reveal the truth, or it's more of side thing. Like, our characters come to question the Speaker and may even fight against him, but there's another enemy or goal that takes precedence.

More input than anything. I admit being ok with plotting but not great, which is why I hope to get a group together and we can all contribute. I guess in vague terms, I figured we can start with one of two things: either the theory and plot go hand-in-hand, as in the Traveler and Speaker are the antagonists and our characters' ultimate goal is to destroy it/reveal the truth, or it's more of side thing. Like, our characters come to question the Speaker and may even fight against him, but there's another enemy or goal that takes precedence.
So, it could be out and out rebellion, like "putting our characters' Guardian abilities (if applicable) and their Ghosts at risk to fight/destroy the thing that is the source of them because it's trying to use humanity and the other races as a sacrifice to/an army against the Darkness" level rebellion. Or, it could be kind of a thing, like a "shit the Traveler is not the benevolent thing we've been convinced it is but there isn't much to do about it because this enemy is trying to kill us all and that is sort of more important" thing.

Ooh, either way, I have ideas and I'm excited. :D

@Spectre of the Fade that's exactly what I mean, but better said so thank you XD and yay I can't wait to hear! Should I should I create an OOC thread or would you mind sharing them here?

@The Philosoraptor awesome, welcome!

that's exactly what I mean, but better said so thank you XD and yay I can't wait to hear! Should I should I create an OOC thread or would you mind sharing them here?
I'm happy to share them here. c: So, I'm kind of thinking that the first "mission" in the roleplay could be a seemingly regular strike to begin with. Our Guardians all teaming up as a big ass strike team to kick some Fallen ass. The group ends up taking a Fallen or several of them hostage, or one just survives the initial battle long enough to drop some cryptic shit about the true nature of the Traveler and a location/hint or something.

If we're going for out and out rebellion, that group, or whichever band together and choose to go, investigate the location/hint and end up uncovering that the Traveler uses worlds like Earth to protect it from being consumed by the Darkness. It gives the races on the planet a great age of advancement, gives of its own Light to accelerate their culture, then "dies" to "protect them" from the darkness. The races, feeling they owe it some great debt, end up finding a way to restore it. Then it takes that new reserve of power and uses it to move on, abandoning the planet to its ruins and the dregs that follow in the Darkness' wake. The Fallen seem like likely candidates to have been a race the Traveler used like this before. The Cabal, too, but not quite as likely? Dunno how our Guardians might speak to the Fallen, though.

If it's only kind of a thing, our Guardians might dismiss the hint/location given and just go on killing whatever threat is threatening far more than usual, or might casually investigate when the threat isn't trying to attack the City. I'm kind of thinking the Taken for the antagonist if we go this route; they'd be a good fit to "scary ass antagonist that scares our characters more than the giant ass lying traitor humans and the other races rely on way too damn much".

So yeah, my ideas. Um. Happy to hear criticism and whatnot, also don't mind if you scrap them entirely. c: Like I said, I'm just excited to be working on a plot in this universe.

@The Philosoraptor Oh, didn't see your post. Greetings! Happy to have you. c: One step closer to getting this thing off the ground.

• Thank You
Reactions: The Philosoraptor
I'm happy to share them here. c: So, I'm kind of thinking that the first "mission" in the roleplay could be a seemingly regular strike to begin with. Our Guardians all teaming up as a big ass strike team to kick some Fallen ass. The group ends up taking a Fallen or several of them hostage, or one just survives the initial battle long enough to drop some cryptic shit about the true nature of the Traveler and a location/hint or something.

If we're going for out and out rebellion, that group, or whichever band together and choose to go, investigate the location/hint and end up uncovering that the Traveler uses worlds like Earth to protect it from being consumed by the Darkness. It gives the races on the planet a great age of advancement, gives of its own Light to accelerate their culture, then "dies" to "protect them" from the darkness. The races, feeling they owe it some great debt, end up finding a way to restore it. Then it takes that new reserve of power and uses it to move on, abandoning the planet to its ruins and the dregs that follow in the Darkness' wake. The Fallen seem like likely candidates to have been a race the Traveler used like this before. The Cabal, too, but not quite as likely? Dunno how our Guardians might speak to the Fallen, though.

If it's only kind of a thing, our Guardians might dismiss the hint/location given and just go on killing whatever threat is threatening far more than usual, or might casually investigate when the threat isn't trying to attack the City. I'm kind of thinking the Taken for the antagonist if we go this route; they'd be a good fit to "scary ass antagonist that scares our characters more than the giant ass lying traitor humans and the other races rely on way too damn much".

So yeah, my ideas. Um. Happy to hear criticism and whatnot, also don't mind if you scrap them entirely. c: Like I said, I'm just excited to be working on a plot in this universe.

The Cabal are unlikely to have been used by the Traveler before, since they themselves are the least to do with the Traveler in the whole list of enemies the Guardians have. The Vex and Hive worship the Darkness, and seek to destroy the Traveler as a matter of worship. The Fallen have met the Traveler before, and the reason they are in their present state was that the Traveler abandoned them when the Darkness arrived for it. They now pursue the Traveler in the hopes of returning to their Golden Age, when ether flowed freely and infinitely. Really, they're the most pitiable race in the game, and the one you can feel the most sympathy for (until you fight Skolas, at which point you realize you don't GIVE A FUCK). The Cabal, on the other hand, are simply an imperial race that arrived in the Solar System largely by coincidence, and simply pushed forward at their leisure before hitting the inner planets. They'd be unlikely to have any knowledge of the Traveler.

Really, we could just start the RP with the Riksis boss, except make it a bit more epic than it was in-game. Like, instead of a weak story mission, turn it into a Strike with more depth and lore to it. Maybe Riksis is preparing for a Devil attempt at a breach in the City's defenses, and, as a religious leader, is preparing to commune with the Traveler. When we kill him, he could have some significant last words that attempt to wear down our faith in the system. As Variks shows, the Fallen can speak English, or at least some human language, so it wouldn't be a stretch to assume a high-ranking, highly-developed Fallen could manage it.

Personally, though, I'd like to see this go beyond just the Fallen, meaning interaction with races like the Hive and the Vex. These are races who understand the Traveler from the perspective of enemies, who can tell Guardians what their view shows. The Hive see the Traveler as an antithesis to the Darkness, which represents strength and change, meaning the Traveler is stagnation and weakness. They would be merciless in criticizing the Traveler in their records and literature. The Vex, meanwhile, recognize the Traveler as being paracausal and impossible to fully understand, like the Darkness, and would likely want to study it further. They only worship the Black Heart because of their encounter with the Hive in the High War, where the power of the Darkness gave the Hive incredible power. Worship of the Heart and sacrifices of fallen Hive soldiers gave the Vex more power in that realm. This behavior persisted even after being cast out of the High War. By investigating the Vex with this goal in mind, Guardians could discover the nature of paracausal entities like the Traveler and the Darkness, and from that understand the nature of why they act as they do, and perhaps even what the true motives of the Traveler are.

If the Cabal play a role at all, it should be a minor one, perhaps standing in the way of infiltrating the Black Garden, or launching an inconvenient attack on our location during an expedition.

Another thing that could incriminate the Traveler is the circumstance surrounding its "death". It's hinted, through the location of the Traveler's wounds and the programming of ex-Warmind Rasputin, that Rasputin himself may have been the cause of the Traveler's presence on Earth. The ABHORRENT IMPERATIVE and LOKI CROWN initiatives were both planned in the event the Traveler tried to flee Earth, and both revolved around crippling the Traveler so that it remained on Earth. If Rasputin activated this protocol, then the Traveler would've been trying to leave. If the Traveler was trying to leave, then that brings into question the sincerity of its motives.

• Useful
Reactions: Spectre of the Fade
The Cabal are unlikely to have been used by the Traveler before, since they themselves are the least to do with the Traveler in the whole list of enemies the Guardians have. The Vex and Hive worship the Darkness, and seek to destroy the Traveler as a matter of worship. The Fallen have met the Traveler before, and the reason they are in their present state was that the Traveler abandoned them when the Darkness arrived for it. They now pursue the Traveler in the hopes of returning to their Golden Age, when ether flowed freely and infinitely. Really, they're the most pitiable race in the game, and the one you can feel the most sympathy for (until you fight Skolas, at which point you realize you don't GIVE A FUCK). The Cabal, on the other hand, are simply an imperial race that arrived in the Solar System largely by coincidence, and simply pushed forward at their leisure before hitting the inner planets. They'd be unlikely to have any knowledge of the Traveler.

Really, we could just start the RP with the Riksis boss, except make it a bit more epic than it was in-game. Like, instead of a weak story mission, turn it into a Strike with more depth and lore to it. Maybe Riksis is preparing for a Devil attempt at a breach in the City's defenses, and, as a religious leader, is preparing to commune with the Traveler. When we kill him, he could have some significant last words that attempt to wear down our faith in the system. As Variks shows, the Fallen can speak English, or at least some human language, so it wouldn't be a stretch to assume a high-ranking, highly-developed Fallen could manage it.

Personally, though, I'd like to see this go beyond just the Fallen, meaning interaction with races like the Hive and the Vex. These are races who understand the Traveler from the perspective of enemies, who can tell Guardians what their view shows. The Hive see the Traveler as an antithesis to the Darkness, which represents strength and change, meaning the Traveler is stagnation and weakness. They would be merciless in criticizing the Traveler in their records and literature. The Vex, meanwhile, recognize the Traveler as being paracausal and impossible to fully understand, like the Darkness, and would likely want to study it further. They only worship the Black Heart because of their encounter with the Hive in the High War, where the power of the Darkness gave the Hive incredible power. Worship of the Heart and sacrifices of fallen Hive soldiers gave the Vex more power in that realm. This behavior persisted even after being cast out of the High War. By investigating the Vex with this goal in mind, Guardians could discover the nature of paracausal entities like the Traveler and the Darkness, and from that understand the nature of why they act as they do, and perhaps even what the true motives of the Traveler are.

If the Cabal play a role at all, it should be a minor one, perhaps standing in the way of infiltrating the Black Garden, or launching an inconvenient attack on our location during an expedition.

Another thing that could incriminate the Traveler is the circumstance surrounding its "death". It's hinted, through the location of the Traveler's wounds and the programming of ex-Warmind Rasputin, that Rasputin himself may have been the cause of the Traveler's presence on Earth. The ABHORRENT IMPERATIVE and LOKI CROWN initiatives were both planned in the event the Traveler tried to flee Earth, and both revolved around crippling the Traveler so that it remained on Earth. If Rasputin activated this protocol, then the Traveler would've been trying to leave. If the Traveler was trying to leave, then that brings into question the sincerity of its motives.
I've been looking at the lore all day and I didn't get that deep into it, so you have my definite respect. And yeah, I like it. Drawing basis from canon will give the roleplay some foundation, and interacting with other foes enough to understand their views on the Traveler is an awesome way to add credibility to the idea that threatens to overthrow all our Guardians know about their powers and their source.

How would the Vex and Hive be interacted with, however? The Vex grimoire entries detail what happens when one tries to look into their collective. The Hive have a similar one, with an interrogation about Crotus by a Warlock going badly. Could argue the "deliberate attempt to get foe to doubt their 'savior'" but then why this specific group of Guardians?

I've been looking at the lore all day and I didn't get that deep into it, so you have my definite respect. And yeah, I like it. Drawing basis from canon will give the roleplay some foundation, and interacting with other foes enough to understand their views on the Traveler is an awesome way to add credibility to the idea that threatens to overthrow all our Guardians know about their powers and their source.

How would the Vex and Hive be interacted with, however? The Vex grimoire entries detail what happens when one tries to look into their collective. The Hive have a similar one, with an interrogation about Crotus by a Warlock going badly. Could argue the "deliberate attempt to get foe to doubt their 'savior'" but then why this specific group of Guardians?
The Ghost of the Guardian from the game itself has been able to look shallowly into the Vex, and the Vex do leave behind physical traces. Examining these in combination with brief glimpses into their collective could provide the investigation necessary. Furthermore, the Hive leave EXCLUSIVELY physical traces. Within the Hellmouth lies the World's Grave, which contains the sum of the Hive's knowledge. Raiding this sanctum, as well as investigating other locations within the Hellmouth, would serve to reveal much of the Hive's history. This is assuming, of course, that the Dreadnaught has yet to arrive. If it has, then that itself would offer an even closer perspective of Hive culture and belief.

The Ghost of the Guardian from the game itself has been able to look shallowly into the Vex, and the Vex do leave behind physical traces. Examining these in combination with brief glimpses into their collective could provide the investigation necessary. Furthermore, the Hive leave EXCLUSIVELY physical traces. Within the Hellmouth lies the World's Grave, which contains the sum of the Hive's knowledge. Raiding this sanctum, as well as investigating other locations within the Hellmouth, would serve to reveal much of the Hive's history. This is assuming, of course, that the Dreadnaught has yet to arrive. If it has, then that itself would offer an even closer perspective of Hive culture and belief.
This actually segways into what I was about to ask: where do we want the RP to start in relation to the game? Because if we started around the events of The Taken King, the Dreadnaught would be accessible but the Awoken Queen may be dead, and the Prince is missing (there is a Ghost Fragment that reveals he got transported to Mars, saved from Oryx's attack, and may be searching for his sister). Also, should we consider bringing Reefborn Awoken in as well? The fact the Queen owns (most) of the House of Wolves and Variks is serving her, he'd honestly be the first logical person to go after whatever triggering event leads our cast in further investigating the Traveler. There's also the Stranger to consider, and whatever organization she's a part of.

I did compile a list of notable NPC's (e.g Mara Sov, Variks, the Guardian vanguards etc) but didn't want to add them because I was unsure if it would be necessary. I believe adding them would help give our story realism in that universe, if that makes sense, but what do you guys think?

I think I need to watch some Desting gameplay tomorrow holy shit. My tomorrow, anyways. I didn't get the chance to play far enough into the game's story, main and DLC, to know what all you guys are referencing, I just played enough to fall in love with the universe and then I had to go back to my place. So. I shall watch some videos tomorrow, talk to my Destiny nerd SO, figure out what the hell is going on, and hopefully come back with some useful contributions. c:

I believe in one of the Grimoire Cards it mentions that Rasputin was the cause of the Traveler being crippled. Im not sure what card says it though. I just got finished reading the entire Destiny Timeline which covers a lot about the Traveler though. I believe that the Traveler is the cause of the darkness arriving, since Oryx commands a large portion of Darkness and he's hunting the Traveler. Furthermore, the Fallen came seeking the Traveler because they believe it belongs to them, the Fallen actually arrived before the Darkness did. The Cabal are only here because they got cut off from their empire and can't traverse through the Darkness. The Cabal are not really connected to the main story at all, since they're only fighting us because we shot at them first. Finally, I would be interested in joining this RP if you aren't full already, I like to think that I have a lot of knowledge surrounding the lore and I could be quite useful.

I believe in one of the Grimoire Cards it mentions that Rasputin was the cause of the Traveler being crippled. Im not sure what card says it though. I just got finished reading the entire Destiny Timeline which covers a lot about the Traveler though. I believe that the Traveler is the cause of the darkness arriving, since Oryx commands a large portion of Darkness and he's hunting the Traveler. Furthermore, the Fallen came seeking the Traveler because they believe it belongs to them, the Fallen actually arrived before the Darkness did. The Cabal are only here because they got cut off from their empire and can't traverse through the Darkness. The Cabal are not really connected to the main story at all, since they're only fighting us because we shot at them first. Finally, I would be interested in joining this RP if you aren't full already, I like to think that I have a lot of knowledge surrounding the lore and I could be quite useful.
Welcome aboard! Right now we're just in plot creation, so please share any ideas and certainly lore knowledge is useful.

@Spectre of the Fade I'm happy to hear you're willing to get dedicated with this though I think you've already started with good contributions :) don't hesitate to ask questions here too!

I think the NPC that was going to tell the player not to trust the speaker was supposed to be The Exo Stranger, since she was supposed to have a much larger role. It could have also been Uldrin, but that's much less likely. The characters can also become suspicious of the Speaker when he gives his whole "I could tell you all of the important things, but instead I'm just gonna tell you that children are frightened" speech. Another part of the Destiny lore we can take advantage of is the "Player Character is canon" bit. This means that the game assumes that all of the great feats accomplished in the game were accomplished by YOU and YOUR team, all of the other players are just low ranking Guardians. Lastly, the Destiny Timeline is pretty weird in how it all works out because the House of Wolves sequence starts before The Dark Below ends, The Taken King starts a year-ish after House of Wolves, and Rise of Iron is another year after The Taken King.

So, a few things:

1. Rasputin attacking the Traveler is, in the canon of Destiny, only a theory. There's evidence supporting it, and evidence denying it. Grimoire 5 for Rasputin tells us that Rasputin's paranoia caused him to prepare for the eventuality of the Traveler's attempted escape (ABHORRENT IMPERATIVE and LOKI CROWN), but doesn't explicitly state that Rasputin ever did. In fact, another bit of text from Rasputin's own perspective lends more credence to the idea that Rasputin learned Sword-Logic from the Darkness, and criticized the Traveler for not doing the same. This implies that when Rasputin when dark with the other Warminds, the Traveler stood and fought the Darkness. This may be something to address in the RP.

2. The Darkness's arrival was what resulted in the Fallen, Cabal, and Hive arriving in the Solar System. Prior to this, Humanity was pretty much out of the way of anyone's invasion strategies, and had yet to interact with alien races. The Hive and Fallen followed the Darkness, the former out of devotion and the latter out of desperation, while the Cabal marched in with the hopes of conquering something. When the Fallen did arrive, they attempted to reason with the Guardians for access to the Traveler, but were violently denied with machine guns.

3. The Cabal are not truly "cut off" from the empire. In fact, they send out a distress signal directly to their Emperor during the Taken King (please be the next expansion after Rise of Iron, please be the next expansion after Rise of Iron!). However, during a military expedition, a Cabal army is well and truly exiled from the Empire. They can requisition supplies, ask for reinforcements, and even call in the Big Daddy himself, but can't return home. They are not bound to the Solar System out of necessity or because we shot first, but are honor-bound to continue their invasion. In fact, the protracted campaign in the Solar System has begun to wear on morale amongst Cabal troops, and is weakening them as a whole.

4. Oryx does not truly "command" the Darkness, at least not in the manner you imply. His role as an avatar of the Darkness is to seek out and destroy the Light, but more importantly to uphold the Sword-Logic and worship the Darkness. However, the Hive, including Oryx, are ruled by the Worms, gods superior even to Oryx, Xivu Arath, and Savathun, who are regarded as the Hive's divine triumvirate (please be Destiny 2, please be Destiny 2!). And even these Worms are inferior to the Darkness, a being regarded as being superior to all other Hive gods. Crota was responsible for the infestation of the Moon and the invasion of Earth, though he was taking his sweet time with it. Oryx, on the other hand, was out in the galaxy being badass when he found out some wannabe hero killed his son. Hence the Taken King expansion.

5. What you are right about is that the Traveler did cause the Darkness to arrive, and is the direct catalyst to the destruction of all races it visits. Where the Traveler goes, the Darkness follows. Hence why the Fallen are in their present state, and why Humanity teeters on the edge of extinction.

Thanks for the corrections, I knew I'd probably gotten some things wrong, haha. On the topic of next DLC, I believe the current speculation is the next April Update is going to bring forward old raids to Y3 (Unlikely, I think), and after that it's Destiny 2. As much as I want a Cabal DLC it looks like Bungie doesn't really like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.