The One Book

• Thread starter heliacalRebirth
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

heliacalRebirth

Original poster
What's your absolute most favorite book that you would recommend to us?

It can only be one book (or one series)!

• Thank You
Reactions: Fijoli
My absolute most favorite book of all time would most certainly be The Last Guardian by Jeff Grubb.

It is a World of Warcraft book, centered around the lore about Karazhan and Medivh and blah blah blah.

Anyway, it's an amazing book. I've had to of read it at least 10 times and I memorized like the first three paragraphs just because I've read it so much.

The Axis Trilogy/Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglass. I crie errytime.

Reactions: Fijoli
Easy peasy.

Lord of the Rings
And to those who didn't enjoy it I offer a shrug and the consolation that Hobbit only has one movie left, and Silmarillion is unlikely to get a movie since half of it was stuffed into the Hobbit movies. Some dislike the pages of description and discussion over the scenery, or a certain mountain, or the armour someone is wearing, but for me that's a perk. The world is so vivid and so huge, that I want to know every detail about it, and there's so much to absorb that each time I read it I notice different things and it's like a whole new adventure.

Plus whether you like them or not, these books redefined the high fantasy genre. They are the yardstick to epic quests the way Dracula is to vampires: all comparisons seem to keep coming back to them.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, there are those books that some would expect to see from me, such as Lord of the Rings, the Game of Thrones series, or any of the myriad of books Stephen King has written.

However, here's one out of left field for you all:

Neal Stephenson's "Cryptonomicon"

Confused? You shouldn't be.

It has historical fiction. It has cryptography. It has explosions.

Well... metaphorically speaking, anyway.

It's a book where the settings differ between the World War II era (1942 is when it starts), and also the "present" (the book was published in 1999), focusing primarily on two characters: Pritchard Waterhouse, a mathematics genius and member of the US Navy, and his grandson Randy, who is trying to create an encrypted "data warehouse" of sorts somewhere in southeast Asia.

As convoluted as it might sound, the storylines come together amazingly well.

• Love
@Nyarlathotep and @Ocha have both said things I would highly recommend. Both are wonderful books.

That being said, I would, as always, highly recommend the Wheel of Time series. Lots of reading, lots of fun. I've read through the series a few times.

americangods.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/American-Gods-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0380789035

One of my absolute favourite books of all times. I can NOT recommend this enough!!

Only ONE book? Are you aware how much my inner bookworm suffers by this dilemma? Seriously, this is worse than medieval torture techniques. Let's see...

Okay, while I am a big fan of sci-fi and fantasy, my most favourite book ever is probably Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. Reading it almost hurt me physically since the descriptions were so vivid and Raskolnikov's struggle so real, but I felt like a better person after finishing it. It's meaningful and not in the pretentious way. I cried, for god's sake. I cried so much. Let me tell you something; if Dostoevsky lived in this era, I'd probably get a restraining order for following him everywhere like an adoring puppy.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't hate me, but my favorite author is Dean Koontz. So I'm going to pick my favorite Dean Koontz book:

FromtheCornerofHisEyeD263_f.jpg

I remember buying my copy at the Goodwill because sometimes when I went there, I could go home with an armload of novels for only five bucks. Good reading times were had during those simpler times in my life.

I would highly recommend Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams. A tale of grand adventure, filled with tension, love and peril, while delving into the lore of a world just out of reach, all in search of a missing friend. Don't let the cover throw you off. There is a fantastic story waiting just underneath.

Tailchaser%2527s%2BSong.jpg

I also recommend you read it before they finish the 3D animated movie for it. I'm actually quite horrified that this is a thing.

• Love
@Nyarlathotep and @Ocha have both said things I would highly recommend. Both are wonderful books.

That being said, I would, as always, highly recommend the Wheel of Time series. Lots of reading, lots of fun. I've read through the series a few times.
I have been dying to read that for so long

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones! I loved that book so much I read it twice in one day. O___O The movie made for it (though good) was a tragedy and I mourned what could have been if they stuck to the ACTUAL story.

I also really, really, really love the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes!

• Love
http://www.amazon.com/American-Gods-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0380789035

One of my absolute favourite books of all times. I can NOT recommend this enough!!

Because this is one of my favorite books too and I feel like you might start squealing.
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/04/neil-gaiman-american-gods-anansi-boys-tv

But yes, my favorite book would be Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Because magic, and those sweets. My god, the book had my 10 year old self with those sweets.

• Love
Reactions: 3 people
About a whole series? Artemis Fowl, hands down, is my most favorite set of books. It's like a unique and modern take on fairies and other mythical creatures with a Sci-Fi twist. It's great, I absolutely love it. Normally I don't really like fantasy stories, they're just not my thing, but this one doesn't really feel like fantasy to me. I realize that might put off some people, but my friend's a huge fantasy geek and he loves it as well. And it's one of the few stories I've read that doesn't use female stereotypes, like, at all. In fact, the author, Eoin Colfer, generally never uses female stereotypes in his stories.

• Love
About a whole series? Artemis Fowl, hands down, is my most favorite set of books.
you had me at artemis fowl, you my friend have an excellent taste in literature. ive read that entire series from cover to cover, it is in fact one of the greatest series ever.

• Love
Reactions: Hatsune Candy
41shWIN%2BssL.jpg
Lone greatest science fiction book ever written. It is a self-contained masterpiece.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.