The Old Gods Crusade

Unfortunately, I will have to drop out of the roleplay due to the role I wanted being taken up. I wish you all the best of luck in this lovely masterpiece!

I love Cleopatra and this is coming from a big Octavian, Julius and Mark Anthony fan.

The reason being is she is one of the most intelligent among this group. The Roman's made her out as a sexual enchantress but the reality is surprising. She could have been pretty or beautiful but writings about interactions of her never focused on that aspect.

Instead, they focused on how intelligent and captivating her words were. This is what made people like Julius and Mark Anthony fall for her. She was a great storyteller and was smarter than most people any of these leaders came across. She was studious when she was younger and actually learned the Egytian language as well as the culture that came with it. Egyptians loved her and saw her rule as a golden age. She was even seen as the reincarnation of Isis. The goddess of life and magic and the healer of the sick. She was one of the greatest gods of Egypt and it shows a lot that her people viewed her with such respect.

And this wasn't through dictatorial rule either she actually helped in fixing a corrupted and broken system and allowed Egyptian freedom from Roman rule until her death.

I am excited to see how these characters interact as that is only one of many. I am sad to see you leave Shaybear and hope this roleplay continues to gain support.

(Sorry bad English on my part.)

Last edited:
Reactions: junebug
Another interesting thought; if we're already branching out a bit, how opposed would you be to adding a few more worldly people? Like Siddhartha Gautama? Hinduism is a fascinating polytheistic religion dating way back to roughly the same era. Imagine a soul that already believed in reincarnation being one such chosen for this role, and the buddha at that. Haha

Last edited:
I would worry about this though and how much we may add of contemporary faiths. I would view it as adding Muhammed into this role play. If you are not okay with that we shouldn't add Siddhartha Gautama.

If we do wish to add contemporary faith's I believe we should treat them all equally and not have a double standard for individual ones.

Last edited:
@TheDevil'sGame @The Dapper Mog Thank you for your contribution in regards to adding other faiths and considering different aspects! As far as I'm aware (and correct me if I'm wrong @sing o muse), we are open to discussing the inclusion of religions which have shared characteristics of the hellenistic influence (Persian and Egyptian being a few). As long as there are shared characteristics between hellenistic and the religion you're considering, @sing o muse would love to discuss if that inclusion may be possible! 😊

Ah, right. My bad, I hadn't taken into account the dissonance with my thought. Haha I like the way it is now just fine. But, yeah, I think the randomization or being assigned a character would be a lot of fun, so, if you decide one way or the other, just let me know and I'll get to work on a character. ^_^

I do not mind in adding other faiths whatsoever. I am a former muslim and hellenistic ideas were influential of both Christianity and Islam. Aristotle was even considered the 'first teacher' among islamic scholars.

I wouldn't mind involving Christianity or Islam as the two were the reason for the downfall of these specific religious ideas.

These abrahamic faiths also have histories of severe abuse, slave trade, oppression and outright demonizations of pagans and even each other.

I'm all for this if you want to go this route and I'm not one to tip toe around subjects! I am trying to be as polite as possible but the sheer amount of brutality these believers suffered was incredibly intense. Even today in parts of the world around the mediterranean they still suffer from these severe hatreds.

This history of conflicts can inspire our character and may influence many of their actions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the interesting thoughts! To avoid over-complicating things, I think we will want to avoid delving too heavily into non-pagan faiths. The reason I am open to the inclusion of religions such as Egyptian paganism is because they are entirely compatible with Hellenism -- there is a belief of infinite gods. Many Romans worshiped Egyptian gods, and many Egyptians worshiped Greek gods. Abrahamic religions are entirely incompatible with this mindset -- hence why they never managed to coexist in history. I was (and still am a bit) even hesitant on Persian figures because much of the Western understanding of Persian paganism is filtered through how the Romans understood it, which could very well be just wrong.

However, the conflict between Abrahamic religions and pagan ones is very interesting, and I would certainly be fascinated to see a character who's modern religion is incompatible with the religion of their past life. I would certainly encourage exploration of that. As a whole, though, no, we probably won't be utilizing non-pagan religions extensively.

Also, I have class and work today, but tonight I should have both an ooc/signup thread and a Discord posted here, so please keep an eye out for that! I'm so hyped about all of the discussion so far, so I can't wait to get started :)

So I didn't get as much homework done at work as I expected (how dare people actually give me things to do while I'm on the clock??? ugh), so signups may have to wait until tomorrow, but anyone who's interested in chatting or sharing more ideas can feel free to join the Discord here!