The Old Cat House

"S-sorry..." He uncharacteristically apologized. "If this is your's... You can have it back." He set it down in her arms and with a nervous smile went back downstairs to continue his sketch. When he realized he was in no condition for art, he laid out and cat napped on the couch.

Laughter could be heard in the distance through the open windows from the back of the house. Out in the field back close to the woods people were gathering in the afternoon haze obviously preparing bonfires for the coming evening.

-----------

Sharell pounced with excitement, but missed again! She had been chasing the horsefly around the kitchen for some time now but with no luck. Now it flew off into the parlor. 'Your not getting away that easily!' She raced after it, leaping onto the arm of the couch and across it in 2 bounds and then strait up into the air, she grabbed it mid flight, falling back onto...the cat man she had been to busy to notice.

The young girl stood there in shock still. She was sure that he was going to hurt her. She felt herself smile. ' Well,' she thought., picking up her violin. 'I better get going, find a home or something.' Feeling slightly nervous, but tries to act calm, she quickly walks down the stairs and starts making her way out the door.

Marreth leaned her long snout down to the girl, 'Would you like a ride?' She asked so mater-of-factly that it was very hard to be afraid of her. She had already fed a few hours ago and usually went for a wing stretch at this time of day.

She looked at the strange girl, then started to glare. The young has had many experiences like that. Most of them were, usually from drunk and perverted men. She remembered that she almost killed the first man that tried that. "Hmph." and the girl turns and start walking away without a care of what the girl thought. But she did glance at back at the building, but just continued walking. Even if she was young she wont take no chances.

The dragon named Marreth matched the girls pace and asked,' Is there a problem? did someone bother you? I shall make them pay!!' A puff of smoke came out of her snout as she looked back at the house while they walked tward the road.

((OOC: Sorry I been so slow. x.x I was reading a four page long RP last night and all the posts were kinda LOONG. o.e Took me a couple hours to read. Oh and I'm not saying his name on purpose. It's gonna be like this dramatic big reveal when he says his rediculous name. xD))

He groaned and tossed in his sleep, accidentally knocking the cat onto the floor. He rolled over onto his side and began purring softly, hands kneading the couch. There were the sounds of distant voices, but in his stupor he simply shook them off, ears twitching. He rumbled and purred quietly as he rolled to his other side and then tried to get comfortable again.

(NP I did the same a few nights ago. Well as long as it's not going to be like Rumpelstilskin I guess it's ok lol)

-----------

Sharell, landing on all fours, hardly noticed the tumble from the couch or the cat man for that matter as the horsefly zoomed past her nose at that moment and she went racing after it again.

-----------

With the sun starting to go down out back in the field the bonfires are lit in some sort of ceremony with cheering after then the singing and merriment becomes louder and more intense.

The heat of the day threatens to tear at the flesh beneath her tiny, vulnerable scales as her wings flap hard to keep her going. Little wind, and no air currents of the day. It's just hot. And there's so little moisture to keep the moss that grows in spurts across her tiny body healthy and cool. What is she to do?
Few trees are beneath her, and she knows sh cannot continue. She must find shade.

Finally, before her, a large barn rises on the horizon. She sets her sights on it, golden blue eyes glimmering with glee as her peridot-colored scales shimmer, wings pumping harder.

~*~

Above her flies what would appear to be a cat, her thick fur the color of snow on the night of a full moon, shimmering with a silvery tint. Her front two paws, however, take a deeper silver color, appearing to be two socks against the sea of shimmering white.
By contrast, the wings that stretch from her tiny back are a deep black, spanning a good 7 feet across, speckles of silver and white dancing across the onyx black like stars in a night sky. Blue eyes stare out at the setting sun, mind thankful that the hot day is almost over.

~*~

As if connected through an unseen force, both dive for the barn at exactly the same time. The cat lands perfectly, her wings folding in gracefully as she slows her landing run to a happy trot towards the darkness of the barn. The young dragon, however, is not so graceful in her landing, tripping over her own feet as she lands on the hard ground. After a moment of grumbling and untangling herself, she, too, folds in her wings and makes her way towards the barn.

The sun sets deeper and deeper as the barn grows before them. Finally, the air is cooler, and merriment can be heard around them.

The young dragon stops, her eyes widening as her peridot scales glitter in the dark air. From the barn stands a large dragon. The bigger ones had always picked on her, and Two Socks, who stands beside her with a glance of concern aimed at her, is her only friend. She squeaks slightly, body trembling. "I'm not so sure we should still go that way..." she says hesitantly towards Two Socks.
The cat purrs, trotting over to her dragon friend and staring up at her. "But Yva, we need to find shelter for the night. We can't just keep flying."
Yva shakes her head. "No...I don't want to go there."
"Fine. But I am. You can choose whether or not to follow." And with those words, Two Socks pads over towards the barn, her soft footsteps speeding up as she nears the large dragon. She stops just before she might be spotted, crouching in the hunter's stance, and breaks into a sprint towards the barn, shooting straight between the dragon's legs and back into the shadows.
Yva hops from foot to foot, wimpering slightly as her eyes twinkle with fear and excitement. She finally chooses to pad forward slowly before reaching the same exact spot her friend had and crouching, not thinking about the fact that she is bigger and brighter than the tiny winged cat.

"And why should you care," Carly starts. "you don't even know." She continued walking wondering if she can make a bit of cash to at least buy and motel or apartment.

Marreth the dragon blinks in confusion, "you looked like you needed a friend, or at least someone to talk to, but I will leave you be if you wish." She stops walking with the little girl and heads back to the house and toward barn. Jerry is usually there in the evening tending to the young and she wanted to talk to him before he went to the festival. Just as she arrived at the barn she heard the beat of wings and turned to greet the new arrivals.
A cat with wings darts through her legs and she follows it with her head and neck between her legs in surprised by the rudeness. She looks back up at the owner of the other set of wings, a young light green dragon, "Hello? My name is Marreth, have you come for the Festival of Stars?"

Yva raises her head, eyes widening in fear before she snorts her surprise. "Festival of Stars? What's that?" She tries to shrink closer to the ground, her talons digging deep into the hardened soil as if to try desperately for a connection with the world as a whole.
Two Socks watches from inside, rolling her eyes before padding back out with a grumble. "Really, Yva...no way of introducing at all." The tiny cat looks up at the new dragon and seats herself just before the creature, her feline face seeming to don a smile. "Hello. I am Two Socks, and this is my friend, Yva. We are from...well somewhere. We're not sure where here is, but I found Yva flying about just a year ago. We're travelers. Simply flying from place to place. May I ask if you know where we are currently?"

The cat doesn't seem to recognize her earlier rudeness as she lifts a paw briefly to her mouth to lick, bright blue eyes continuing to stare up at the grand dragon as her Peridot friend slowly rises to her feet and pads over beside her, tiny, whip-like tail flicking back and forth, a small web of skin slowly beginning to stretch from either side, bright...colorful. And as strange as the patches of moss growing across her little green scales.​

"And why should you care," Carly starts. "you don't even know." She continued walking wondering if she can make a bit of cash to at least buy and motel or apartment. 'A friend...?' She looked behind her not seeing the girl. She did want a friend, she just felt like she couldn't trust anyone. So she decide to walk back, she lost her friends and family, it can't hurt not to have, or try, to have one. She stands in front of the door, ears and tail down and hidden. She felt more nervous, she already turn the girl down so rudely, will she accept her still?

"Well Yva and Two Socks it is nice to meet you!" Marreth smiled and shifted to a more comfortable position, her leathery hide shined iredecently in the evening light.
"The Festival of Stars is all about the stars being the gift from the Gods to All as navigators and symbols of love, war and so on," Sitting on her haunches she waved her armes at the sky pointing out different celestial bodies with her claw. "Jerry could tell you more details but I don't see him here. He must have already gone to the party." She shrugged her wings a bit in her disappointment at missing seeing him and then continued. "Basically it's the precursor to the Mid Summers Eve. You know it is almost here when it's festival time!" The dragon smiled wide, tongue lolling out in anticipation of the events close at hand.
"Umm... as far as where we are, that's simple! This is the Old Cat House, but do NOT call her old to her face." The dragon waggled a claw at the pair to make her point stick. "She has no idea how old she is really. She was a foundling on the door step many years ago. No one really knows how long, but very long I am sure because she was here before me and I was a babe myself when I came here looking for a home."

"So it is a festival to worship the stars?" Yva asks curiously, blue eyes looking up at the darkening sky curiously, watching for a moment as stars begin to twinkle. "Is it also to say goodye to the dying stars? There are many tonight...some may not even last the night. It is time for them to say goodbye.." She seems to grow distant, eyes glazing over as the fan of colorful flesh disappears against her tail, which then wraps around her little body that now sits back on its haunches in a relaxed, comfortable position.

Two Socks sighs and nuzzles her dragon friend out of her stupor before looking back up at Marreth. "The Old Cat house, you say? I take it the woman you speak of is a cat? Or a cat furry, perhaps?" Her blue eyes appear curious as her slightly fluffed tail flicks back and forth, wings fluttering. But before she gives Marreth enough time to answer, Two Socks speaks again. "Would it be alright if we were to stay here? Or should we go elsewhere?"

O-of course, we perfectly understand if we cannot stay tonight. We can go find another place to stay if need be. It's perfectly understandable if you do not wish to share.
" Yva seems nervous, her wings spreading slightly in a defensive gesture. She does not wish to be near a dragon so large as the one before her. Perfectly understandable, considering her own tiny size. Standing only as big as a Labrador, not including the tail, she has always been fearful of larger creatures.​

"Yes, it is for the stars," Marreth nods and wags her tongue in the draconic equivalent of a smile at Yva. Then she sobers a bit and frowns thinking, "Hmm... that is a good question, I suppose it could be... You would have to ask Jerry to be sure of details though." The large dragon cocked her head and asked, "Is there a reason to morn the passing of a star?" Having never met one she wasn't sure if it was important or not.
She looks over at the cat and is puzzled at the reference to a woman, "There is no woman umm... she isn't exactly a cat ether... a type of furry I suppose..." Working hard to find a description for the little catling she had come to know she said, "Look, it would be easier if you just meet her. I can introduce you if you like?" She stands up to lead them to the house, "She is very shy though so don't be surprised if she doesn't show herself right away. Hah! It took her weeks before she would meet me, but then I was a rambunctious wyvern when I was little!" Her whole frame shook at the memories of her younger self stalking a tiny cat and the bad luck that ensued because of it, the milk cow never did give milk again after the incident.
"What?! Of course you can stay here! It is an Inn after all!" She stops and turns to face them, "I would love the company, it has been ages since any dragons have come this way. I was beginning to think I was the last one." She starts strolling towards the house again not really noticing how nervous Yva is. "I haven't left the lands of the Old Folk since I came some 400 years ago...It might have been longer, time doesn't pass the same here as it does in the real world. You know, they say you can't find this place at all unless you need it, really NEED it. It's some kind of spell or other put on the lands by the Old Folk to keep bad people away, at least, that's what Jerry told me when I asked so long ago. Makes sense really if you think about it." She stops at the back door of the house and knocks on it lightly and calls out to Sharell.

Yva seems to tremble as she stands and follows Two Socks, who has decided to rise and follow the dragon towards the house. "Socks, I'm not sure this is such a good idea. I know not of this dragon, and you know how the others used to treat us..."
Two Socks turns her head to look at the young Peridot with a smile of understanding. "I know, my friend. But I have a good feeling about this. I believe she is telling the truth...and I think she really wishes to help. After all, you are a fellow dragon, and Marreth does not seem to be like the others. Please, try to trust...even if it is not right away. At least trust me."

Slowly, Yva takes a breath...then nods and pads along beside Socks and Marreth, blue eyes glittering as they stare up at the stars. "To answer your previous question, Marreth...a dying star is a great thing to mourn. They are the soul of the universe. When one dies, it is a great loss. They are homes for lost spirits and suns for worlds not our own. They are the meaning of life. Without them, there would be no place for us to live. Inhalla...my Mother World...both of her suns died...when I was still an egg. If it had not been for the goddess, who we dragons also call Inhalla, all of us would have been wiped out. So...I always mourn the death of a star...and I feel it when one dies. Almost as if, when my suns died, their essence became a part of me." Her face twists with a saddened expression, blue eyes deepening to a near black as her wings and tail sag around her. Two Socks nudges her again, and she looks up to smile, but her sad demeanor does not change. The winged cat sighs, stretching her left wing partially over the young dragon, as if to comfort her. Though she does not understand the pain a Peridot naturally feels, what with the connection any Peridot dragon has to the lives around them, she tries her best to comfort the young dragon when she can.

"In all honesty, Marreth...my friend is a very emotional creature. Where I simply mirror the stars, she feels them live and breath. And she feels when they die. So where you and I may mourn in a way of a passing sight, she mourns in a passing life. Does that make any sense?" Bright blue eyes look up at the larger dragon as the evening breeze ruffles her white fur. She seems to question the dragon, hoping that Marreth can make sense of the gibberish they both speak of.​

A rather blank expression had taken over the older dragon's face while the explanation had been going on. Marreth had never been known for a remarkable intelligence but she was known for her kind heart and unflinching sense of right and wrong. She felt that this little green dragon had been horribly wronged somehow and she wanted to hug her and let her know things would be alright now. Just, she didn't think that physical contact in that way would be accepted as it was intended. She remembered how that one centaur acted when she had hugged him. She rubbed the smallish scar that he had given her for her efforts and remembered how long it took Jerry to talk the herd into not killing her, she made a little gulp. Well, it was a long time ago when she was not much bigger than a horse but....
Marreth realized her mind had wondered and brought it back sharply to what the pair in front of her were saying.
"Ah umm I see, oh! Sherell, I would like you to meet some new friends, this is Yva and this is Two Socks, they just flew in for the Festival of Stars and perhaps even to stay." The dragon smiles down at a tiny tiny cat that had jumped up on the kitchen counter by the door. It looked like she would jump and run at the drop of a hat but stayed obviously out of curiosity as it sniffed and vied for a better view of the two strangers in a cautious way though the screen door.
'Hello,' They heard in their minds. 'Are you going to the festaval Marreth?' The small cat queried in her send.
"Yes I am, would you like to come? You may ride on me if you like." The large dragon smiled down at the bit of tan colored fluff.
'Oh no thank you. I would rather nap here, today has been far to exciting already! There were some unannounced guests earlier and one of them is still here sleeping on the couch in the parlor!' The little cat's tail crept up and rapped around her neck and began choking her as they watched.
"Are you going to be alright? Do you want me to speak to them? I could chase them away if they were mean to you." Marreth frowned out of worry for her small friend.
'Well, nooo.. he is only sleeping after all, but if he tries to harm me I will call you,' a sound like a cat choking on a hairball is heard.
"Sweety, your tail! Don't let it wrap around your neck like that." The blue dragon smiled a quirky smirk and in an aside to the other two she said, "She tends to forget what that tail of hers is up to and sometimes it strangles her till she passes out."

He murmured in his sleep and slowly awoke. There were strange muffled voices and some throbbing sound in his head. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, and then the voices became clear, along with the cat's speech. "...but if he tries to harm me I will call you." He raised an eyebrow a little and then jumped slightly as Marreth's voice picked up suddenly. "Sweety, your tail! Don't let it wrap around your neck like that. She tends to forget what that tail of hers is up to and sometimes it strangles her till she passes out." He slowly stood and stretched, tail curling in his mouth. He scratched his back and looked around into the back of the house, seeing the small congregation of dragons and cats.

The telepathic voice certainly surprises both cat and dragon, and Yva snorts and shakes her head as if to attempt to get it out of her head. Socks, however, just stares at the little cat before her curiously, ears constantly moving from back to forward, slightly fluffed tail flicking behind her as her wings pull back against her back, fluttering slightly.
After the poor attempt to get the voice from her head, Yva looks farther into the room, gaze meeting that of the creature that has just walked into view. She snorts again, nostrils flaring. Her tail flicks, that small flap of skin once more stretching into view.

Neither really know what to do at this point. Neither can really do anything. So, instead, they sit there, hoping for nothing to go wrong. Wishing to just rest and recuperate from the long journey they had just taken. They glance at each other briefly before glancing back between the three strange creatures before them.
Finally, Two Socks speaks. "Could we have a place to stay, at least for tonight, miss?" she asks the cat that sits with her tail around her neck, hoping silently to herself that her own tail never does such preposterous things. "My friend and I have been traveling for days, and we really do need some time to rejuvenate. If it is alright with you, we would like just enough space for the both of us to sleep in the barn. We won't bother a thing if that is what you wish." Yva stares at the cat with glittering, hopeful eyes. Sleep is all she wants at this point. Sleep and space...space to get used to seeing a large dragon that doesn't want to hurt her...that more than anything frightens her the most...​