The Odin Initiative - Join anytime

Status
Not open for further replies.
A semi-NPC that will sit here until I feel like introducing him.

Name: Kayan Ikari

Nickname: K

Alliance: Valkyrie

Personality: A poor result of the testing from the Initiative, K is Brain dead.

Appearance:
-Hair Color: Black
-Eye Color: Hazel
-Skin Tone: Grey
-Body Type:Slim, poorly toned, almost sickly
-Height: 5'11"
-Other Features: K wears a long jacket to cover up his Artifact, Imp.
-Portrait:
anime3-InfernityDesGunman.png

Weapon(s): He carries a 6 shot revolver at his waist that has a range of a short 50 meters. It does not have enough power to pierce most armors.

Armor: None, it would cover his artifact.

Abilities/Magic: Kayans body emits radiation that varries with no specific pattern. He can emit any wavelength from Microwaves to Gamma rays, however he usually stays between ultraviolet and infrared. There is currently no way to control this. The radiation emitted not only varys in type but also in quantity, being around him can either be deadly or harmless in small durations

Skills: Braindead, means no skills at all. Not a single one.

Brief History: Kayan was originally one of the scientists that was working for The Odin Initiative who was accepted into the program at the age of 21, rather early due to his excellent grades in schooling. He managed a masters degree in a short two years through nonstop study in Vash. A this time the initiative was working on the Valkyrie and Kayan saw a flaw with them in that each Valkyrie was only capable of holding one artifact. He proposed they begin to attempt getting the Valkyrie to house the capacity for two artifacts, but the directors and other scientists disliked the idea. When he volunteered himself they accepted the proposal and began the tests. He underwent the procedure for a normal one-artifact Valkyrie and was a complete success. He was then able to control the radiation his enhanced body emitted and was paired with an artifact to study his performance. He was progressively exposed to more and more testing to make him capable of taking a higher amount of strain from magic devices until he was capable of sustaining two artifacts. While other Valkyrie had side effects, his were much more obvious. His reaction time was slowing and his overall intelligence was decreasing at an alarming rate. It didn't take long before he couldn't think of any new and original ideas. He knew he was dying, but his body was in excellent condition. After 16 years his brain had completely stopped functioning, but The Odin Initiative kept his body alive with machines and paired him with an artifact that would keep his body alive to grant Kayans final wish of being a Valkyrie with two artifacts. Now due to his ability being uncontrollable Kayain is kept isolated in a large room lined with thick walls of lead and monitored at all times. He comes out when it is deemed safe, but very few have seen him, and none have seen his face as he wears both his artifacts at all times in order to stay alive.

Artifact(s):
-Name: Capientium Imperium [The One Taking Control] (referred to as Imp)
-Appearance: Imp takes the form of a skin tight shirt with eyes over the pectorals, these eyes are only used for sight. The fabric is smooth and soft, but a bit itchy around the seams. The colors vary by Imps choice
-Abilities: Imp has the ability to control the body of whoever wears it but only if the wielder cannot move through on means or another. He also has the ability of telekinesis over non-living objects. He is also limited by the weight of the object, only capable of lifting as much as his "host".
-Uses: Controlling the brain dead body of K
-Storage: Worn as clothing
-Personality: Imp loves plans and hates improvisation to the point where he has been known to refuse to work without having a plan. Aside from his love for plans, Imp also loves music, leaning towards classical for his favorite.
-Why were you chosen: Kayan is brain dead and needed an artifact to control his body due to the fact that while his brain wasn't working the body still held a lot of potential.
-How does it communicate: Imp is incapable of speech and instead shows facial expressions and body that show his emotions.
-Other Information:

-Name: Qui novit omnia (Referred to as Nov)
-Appearance: A mask made of a material that shares many properties with human bones, Nov has a pair of horns made of the same material but appear to be crafted in rings.
-Abilities: Nov creates illusions not by bending light but by gazing into the mind of an individual. By looking at a persons head from any direction he can trick their senses. While the illusion is unlimited, he can only do this to one person at a time, but detecting the difference between illusion and reality is nearly impossible since the illusion is taking place in the brain rather than directly on the senses. While using this ability he can also fish through basic memories, basic meaning being able to pick up scenery and events but not conversations and fine details.
-Uses: Nov is very useful in finding information
-Storage: Worn on the wielders face at all times
-Personality: Unlike Imp, Nov doesn't make plans. He's much more likely to go in guns blazing if he has control, but unfortunately he cannot control the body. He gets irritated with Imp at times when Imp refuses to move into the enemies forcing Nov to compromise and help come up with a plan. On top of this he is also very easy to anger, and quite the vengeful being indeed.
-Why were you chosen: Kayan was meant to be paired with 2 Artifacts, braindead or not, so he was paired with one that would hide his lack of facial expressions.
How does it communicate: Speech through the masks mouth and can hear as well, speaking like a normal person.

You guys havent landed yet so should I wait or should I progress to the next scene

I'm having Alex chase down one of the choppers carrying hostages, so he and Lin should meet up soon in theory

Lin's cutting off the radio tower though in the middle of the dense forest.

The rendezvous will be within the city of Fenwick in a military tower. If you arrived by boat as stated in your post then you're north of Fenwick and West of Hask, you have a couple miles south to go, then cross the river (there will be a bridge, naturally. A rather large one, too.) Trusting you're going on foot you should arrive in the rendezvous building at the base by the time the other 5 of us arrive. My next post will contain some instructions being sent to the both of you.

EDIT: Actually, Lin will have to answer her phone first so I don't end up godmodding

Last edited:
@R-9 Pilot I haven't heard from you in a bit, you still alive and interested?
I'm still alive, but sorry to say that I've lost interest. Or something close enough. I don't seem to have the time or creative drive to really get around to thins here at all these days. I should probably saunter on over to the hello/goodbye forum to say I won't be around much for a while.

I'm still alive, but sorry to say that I've lost interest. Or something close enough. I don't seem to have the time or creative drive to really get around to thins here at all these days. I should probably saunter on over to the hello/goodbye forum to say I won't be around much for a while.
I'm sorry to hear that. I will make your character an NPC so should you ever come back, Meira will be waiting for you. Hope everything goes well for you!

Before I go on any further Id ask you to excuse my rather crude typing I am doing it through a smartphone... That is also why I can't really add a suit even though I did read the rules. I do hope to be excused for that too. Here it goes...

Lockon-28.jpg

Name: Alexei Greymane
Nickname: God of flash
Alliance: Balder Front, though he follows his own agenda

Appearance: Rather tall, likes to wear suits that are comfortable. His hair is dark brown and a bit long, though not too much. His eyes are also brownish and his skin is white but not pale. His body is not very muscular though nimble and harbouring the physical strength expected for an adult male.

Brief backstory: (please note that I put it before personality as his personality is heavily influenced by his backstory.)
"You know, all difficulties aside, I value my siblings above all else. I'm not the type of guy to make threats, but... no one touches my family and lives"
Alexei grew up in the rather poor family of a small gang member in the outskirts of the Torhal Empire. There wasn't much governance and order even in the central of the continent and the outskirts were practically living on their own. His father had grown incredibly abusive towards him and his two siblings - his younger brother Ivan and his little sister. The latter got taken for the government to experiment on her in the Odin programme... as if they did not control the world already... His dad gladly gave her up in exchange for a sum of money and Alexei could never forgive the old geezer for doing that. The next day him and his younger brother who was only 2 years younger than Alexei escaped their home and wondered into the country alone. Ivan was a dedicated inventor, though rather irresponsible so as they travelled the land, stealing and doing odd jobs for their meals, Alexei had to take care of him and be the parental figure shaping the younger brother's character. They were sworn to rescue their sister from the clutches of the government testing programme and ended up joining the Balder Front which seemed the only opposition to the world government. Alexei's agenda was a bit darker though, he wanted to annihilate both the Odin programme and the world government for good. His tactical abilities and newly learned though formiddable skill with the sniper combined with his brother's zeal for martial arts and ability to manufacture extremely useful machines with the Front's limited resources allowed them to quickly rise in the ranks of the organisation. They made a plan, he and Ivan that is, to ascend even higher in order to terminate the current shadowy leadership and use the organisation for their own goals. (I could roleplay his brother as an NPC at times, if that is allowed).

Personality:
"I don't care who you are or where you come from. I don't care what you look like or what you do to be good, as long as you bring me results, you're golden."
Cold and calculating, he has no tolerance for mistakes both from himself and his subordinates. He would never go into battle before having calculated the chances of success to be at least near the 50 per cent margin. That aside, his is kind though determined person. If you try to deceive him and he reads through it you will probably never gain his trust ever again. His policy towards mekbers of his team is

Weapons: His weapon of choice is a custom made sniper, able to penetrate through shields and even through heavy armour. Alexei named it "Laughing coffin". It fires piercing titanium bullets and they are reinforced with piercing magic to be able to go through almost anything, save maybe an artefact or some metal made of isotopes unknown yet to man. The sniper has 15 bullets in its ammo clip and Alexei would always carry a spare one with him. The sniper makes almost no sound when firing bur there is a huge knock back making it impossible to aim well immediately after having fired. The reload time between shots is 1 second, but inserting a new ammo clip is quite hard and takes quite some time.

rifles%20halo%20snipers%20halo%20reach%20backgrounds%201920x1080%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperhi.com_92.jpg

This is a picture of "Laughing coffin", everything except for the magazine limit is accurate.

In melee range, Alexei has a semi automatic handgun which fires explosive bullets. The latter can be stopped by a shield and thus are used more for distraction rather than to do real damage. The gun also has an alternate fire system that shoots piercing bullets similar to his sniper, but it only has three and tends to overheat and become a bit worthless for a short period after firing the first one. The explosive ones are ten and can quickly be reloaded, allowing for continuous fire barrage.

Fantasy_Pistol_01_by_TypoCity.jpg

His handgun, "Twilight ogre". The two barrels are for the two modes of fire.

In terms of hand to hand combat, Alexei has no skills at all so he doesn't even bother carrying around a melee weapon.

Other features: He has an eye-patch and underneath there is an ugly looking mechanical eye. It is just like normal one at normal circumstances but if he feeds it magical energy it is capable of seeing through hard objects and rotating to any degree, so it is able to see his back, through his own skull. He could also see behind walls and objects but it consumes large portions of magic so he can't use it for prolonged periods of time. It is also capable of predicting movement patterns a fer seconds forward.

Armour: He wears no armour at all, not even shields that block gunfire. He does possess a cloaking device but it also consumes lots of magical energy to activate so he almost rarely utilizes it. Also it cloaks him only, so his sniper or whatever he is holding would still be visible, unless hidden in his clothes.

Magical ability: here's the tricky part. During his days as a wonderer he discovered he can escape anyone with ease. His magic, as hie developed it further, is called "flash step". It doesn't allow him to run faster nor to teleport, but rather something in between. He is able to dash from one point in space to another as fast as light, so it looks like teleportation. As he had been using it all his life to avoid harm, he is able to perform up to 2000 flash steps one after another without depleting his energy. One flash step has around 2 meter radius and doesn't consume much energy so even if he has used his other abilities he is always able to make at least a couple of dozen flash steps before collapsing in exhaustion. That is also his only magical ability and the reason he doesn't wear armour or shields, he needs to be nimble in order to perform flash steps and armour would only hold him back. He can dodge gunfire with it, so a magical shield for that is made redundant. And he also needs to conserve his magical energy for them.

Skills: He is very good in deducing the development of any situation he is it as well as seeing the kind of person standing infront of him (for example a coward or a dedicated guy etc.) A lifetime on his own has made him exceedingly good in placing and making traps as well as sensing and discovering them.

Bonus: "One shot - one down!"

Lockon_sniper_module_opening_theme.png

Last edited:
Close enough as fara s the suit, just there to show you read it.

Only nitpick I have is that I couldn't consider his motivation in the Balder Front a bit darker seeing as how they want genocide. Other than that, consider him in.

I'm up to post, but I have been super busy. Don't worry though, this will still be going.

Great, thanks! Is there a particular post order that I would need to keep?

No real order, just make sure you keep the time scale realistic, and I'll have some open time to make a post tomorrow.

I'm finally home, so I fixed the graphics of my character sheet and also added some pictures :)

Okay, I am a bit confused.. why would we (The Baelder Front) bring hostages to a hit and run mission?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Shiro came up with the idea but I'm going to assume it's so that if the military shows up to stop them they can negotiate a trade, civilian lives in exchange for military equipment.

Bingo!

If you've seen my blog 'Sorry for my absence. it ends now.' I mentioned the alert issue so im here now and posting

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been having that issue a lot as well.

Might be somewhat controversial, but here goes. Spades.

Name: Solomon Castor
Nickname: Brutus
Alliance: Balder Front, Renegade Valkyrie

Personality: Brutus is a boisterous, fun-loving kind of guy, on the face of him. He's loud, quick to laugh, and friendly. He doesn't like sneaking or lying or any type of behavior that isn't straight-forward and straight through. However, beneath this mask lies a shattered psyche held together with little more than bubblegum and hope. Under great stress he becomes unstable, swinging between extreme emotions, sometimes furious beyond reason, other times maniacally hysterical, and anything in between.

Appearance:
-Hair Color: Dark Brown with streaks of gray, shoulder length, slicked back
-Eye Color: Dark Brown, almost Black
-Skin Tone: Tanned, but light. Clearly once pale.
-Body Type: Heavy, muscular. He is big, broad, and built. Somewhat barrel chested but much more muscle than fat. Generally imposing.
-Height: 6'3"

Weapon(s): Brutus carries a massive hammer as his primary weapon. As tall as he is and with a head almost two feet across, the maul is infused with Mana to make it impervious to wear and tear, and Brutus swings it around like a baby would a rattle. Beyond this he carries a pair of medium-caliber semi-automatic pistols that rarely see use. He'd be distinctly surprised should they ever come to be useful.
Armor: Brutus wears very large, very thick, very heavy armor. It restricts his speed severly but is reinforced enough to deflect most physical attacks from a relatively strong human, and of course makes bullets all but useless. Has a bad habit of leaving his helmet off when he feels safe, but in battle always wears full body armor.

Abilities/magic: Brutus' personal abilities are varied, but not particularly excessive. He has a great deal of stamina, endurance, and strength, but not exceedingly super human. His mana pool seems bottomless, and he's an accomplished elementalist, but he favors powerful, straight-forward attacks over cunning tactical strikes: fireblasts, walls of water, earthquakes and fissures, blasts of air. Anything that directs the maximum level of force at his opponent, though he's versatile enough to adapt his strategy to fit different enemies. However he's hardly an archmage or a Superman, rather a little bit of both but a master of neither.

Skills: Brutus is a skilled hand to hand combatant, knowing how to make his strikes count despite the slow speed of his attacks and well aware of how to compensate for his opponent's speed with the durability of his armor and his unique Artifact. He's also a trained athlete, able to run long distances without tiring, possessing good reflexes, and instinctively aware of the movements of anyone he observes. He's been given general training in various vehicular operation and he knows basic first aid, given decent supplies.

Brief History: Brutus was once a happy-go-lucky strongman, an athlete, a ladies man, and general life of the party. His one regret was that he showed little to no magical talent. When the Odin Initiative first began, he was one of the first volunteers, hoping to find some latent power within him, or be granted one by the experimental procedures. He was also one of the first successes, soaking up magic like a sponge, showing quick results with enhanced physical capabilities and newfound magical talent, learning the basic fundamentals of magic and quickly progressing to elementalism. He was among the very first Valkyries to be granted an Artifact. However, he also became a case study in how badly the program could go wrong. Though his body, physically fit and durable, could easily accept and endure the magic they infused him with, his mind was not prepared for the strain. Never meant to be compatible with magic, it eventually buckled and shattered under the pressure of constant experimentation using untested and overly invasive techniques. Driven to temporary insanity until his mind could reform to fit it's new paradigm, Brutus took his Artifact and the armor and weapons that the Odin Initiative had been training him in, and, wielding its tremendously potent abilities alongside his own magic, forced his way off the island. He comandeered a boat, killing the pilot with a swing of his hammer, and was gone without a scratch on him. It's unclear why he's turned up with the Balder Front, or why he clearly hasn't told them anything about his origins or the Odin Initiative, despite it assuredly being brought to bear against them should they ever pose the threat they desire to. He rose through their ranks as a respected warrior and mage and the kind of soldier that produces results, not as a superweapon to be wielded against his creators, indicating they know neither that he is a superweapon nor of the existance of his creators.

Artifact

-Name: Julius

-Appearance: An oversized armored gauntlet, engraved with runes and possessing an eye, resembling a large round jewel, on the back of it, and a fanged maw in the palm. The eye can move and see and the mouth can move and speak, though both are still and silent in the presence of Balder Front agents.

-Abilities: Julius was one of the first ideas for an Artifact, based on the flawed Magic Filter system. It made sense to attempt to make a better kind of shield, an upgrade to an existing system rather than a fanciful new idea. Julius is more than just an upgrade, though. Julius grants immunity to concepts: any concept the user thinks of and projects to Julius, be it as broad as projectiles, impact damage, or magic to as narrow as swords, bullets, or fire. He can even grant immunity to more esoteric concepts, like gravity, making the user weightless, or asphyxiation, allowing them to survive underwater or in a vacuum. However, Julius can only grant immunity to one concept at a time. The active concept can be changed freely with a simple directed thought, and changes at the speed of thought, but if, for example, the user were underwater and had breathed in a lungful of water, then changed their immunity from asphyxiation to electrictricy to avoid an attack, they would instantly drown, or if they were falling through the atmosphere, immune to friction, they would burn up in an instant if they changed it to immunity to bullets. Likewise immunity does't cure previous damage, like becoming immune to a sword in your stomach wouldn't heal the injury, it would only force the sword out. Furthermore, the wider the immunity, the more taxing it is on the user. Attempting to grant immunity to all physical harm would likely instantly kill the user, forcing it to be used for directed applications. The immunity makes the user completely impervious to that concept: swords would slide off without damage, bullets would richochet, fire would pass around them like nothing more than wind. The user can also share this immunity with other objects and beings that their skin or Julius are in direct contact with, though they can choose not to and sharing immunities is more taxing than keeping them to oneself.

-Storage: Julius never leaves Brutus' hand. Not even in the shower.

-Personality: Julius is unsure of himself. He's rather kindhearted and feels almost like a grandfather figure at times towards other, younger Artifacts, but he doesn't really know right from wrong. Not for a lack of understanding the fundamentals of morality, but because he's never sure that he or Brutus are making the right choices. He's protective of Brutus, wanting nothing more than to restore him to the fun-loving carefree guy he first met, and therefore aiding Brutus even in his fouler endeavors in the hopes of one day Brutus can be redeemed, perhaps by reaching the end of whatever strange, unfathomable quest Brutus has embarked himself on. He's loyal to his creators and his brother Artifacts to the degree that he won't let Brutus betray the existance of the Odin Initiative to the genocidal Balder Front, but beyond that he seems to have no qualms fighting and even killing them to accomplish Brutus' goals. He just hopes that Brutus has more in mind than genocide on the forsaken path he's chosen.

-Why were you chosen: Originally, Julius thought Brutus was amazing. Fit and athletic and bursting with life, so unlike the rest of the scientists and even most of the test subjects, Julius was instantly drawn to him. He requested to be Brutus' Artifact, and upon telling him what he could do and hearing about Brutus' prefered method of battle, they both agreed that no other Artifact would be more appropriate, letting him wade into battle unhindered by enemy attacks as he blew them away with attacks as boisterous and lively as he was. They became inseperable friends, until the incident.

-How does it communicate: Julius can speak to others through his mouth, but he primary speaks to Brutus telepathically, a necessity for his ability type. He can speak to anyone telepathically who comes in contact with him, though he can't read minds: thought must be directed at him for him to understand it.

I'm going to allow this. I thought about it for a bit with him having escaped, but I came to a simple conclusion. The fact that he was one of the earlier ones is what makes this makes sense, they wouldn't have planned for escapees, and even if they had, how do you stop a super soldier made to be the ideal warrior? Consider your character accepted, and as far as the rest of the Valkyrie to them your character will be a rumor. I'll let you decide where to start unless you want me to decide.

Thank you ^^ Frankly I was as worried Julius would be too powerful as I was that a rebel valkyrie would be allowed. I was thinking he'd start as a member of the Balder strike force attacking the compund directly. If you want to describe how their attack is structured first I can wait, otherwise I'll describe it myself :o

I'd love to see how a fight between Alex and Brutus would turn out

Status
Not open for further replies.