The Next Queen of Ranthrok!

Ember looked in the direction of the person that spoke, slightly upset that she was told to basically shut up. She raised an eyebrow as the person appeared...obviously disorianted and messed up. He was definately hungover, either that or a heavy partier that ended up taking a nap on the floor in the wrong place. When he pointed at her she couldn't help but blink for a second, hadn't this person leard that it was rude to point? She crossed her arms over her chest as she spoke, showing that she obviously was getting tired of introducing herself over adn over again...but she had a feeling she'd have to keep doing it for awhile.

"I'm Ember Carriway...I'm going to assume you're the local bum?" She said, not trying to be insulting but she really couldn't think of any other purpose for a shirtless man that looked completely smash...

"Hey! While I resemble that remark, I also resent it!" Gawain groaned as he held his head in one hand as he shuffled up the stone wall, not letting his back move away from it. He really wasn't feeling up to supporting his own weight on his own two feet. Not just yet, anyways.

"I happen to be the Royal Court Bard here, for Ranthrok's King, no less! He and I are, well, I wouldn't say good buddies, or really friends, either. More like, um, comfortable acquaintances. That fits pretty well."

Gawain ran a hand through his messy hair before letting his head drop, chin on his chest. He muttered unintelligible nothings as he rubbed the back of his neck, squeezing and massaging a bit all at once. His head throbbed, killed him even. Oh, not literally, but his head was pounding. He really wouldn't ever go out that late ever again. He threw his head back up, leaning it back against the stone wall again and scratched his hand over his face. He didn't shave yesterday; bad idea. He'd have to shave today, definitely.

"So, uh, Ember Carriway, why are you here? Official Court Business? You the Wizard's special lady? Oorrr...?" He let his eyes wander her up and down once more and, now that he was waking up and seeing more clearly, he started to appreciate her a bit more. She could serve me up a mug of ale any day...

"Oh, by the by, I'm Gawain d'Cavalier. Feel free to call me Gawain."

Ember watched him clumsily shuffle along the wall, seemingly unable to support is own weight. She watched him scratch him self and mumble quietly, he was probably trying to figure out what to do with himself now that he was awake. Well, she was glad that he did actually have a perpose in the place, she was starting to get creeped out by his pointless shirtlessness...

"Well, for one thing I am not a special lady or even her on business...Honestly I haven't a single clue. One minute I was walking home from class then next I'm being such into a vortex in the sidewalk. If it weren't for the fact that I was already away when this happened I would think this to been one weird dream." She said.

She noticed him looking her up and down and turned a bit away from him, she didn't like that look in his eyes...She'd seen it before on the gansters that wandered down the street she took home.

"Well...Gawain...is it apart of your job to be shirtless or is that something you do for a hobby?" She asked, scooting a bit away from his wandering gaze.

"Sidewalk? What's a sidew--you know what, no, I don't care."

Gawain finally took a step away from the wall and arced his back and bent backwards at a wild angle, looking almost inhuman as he did so! He grunted and yawned a bit as he bent at the odd angle that no man should be able to. Finally, edging out a few more inches in bending backwards, a loud series of crick-cracks could be heard. He popped back up, standing erect once again with a satisfied 'ah~' escaping his lips. There was a new, fresh spring in his step.

"Well, uh, you see," he started, looking down at his bare chest. He was thin, with very little body fat, and his chest was covered in thin, curly brown hairs. While he was skinny, especially compared to a Knight, that didn't mean he was without muscle. If a Knight was a powerful branch, Gawain was a fresh sapling. Wiry and free, but tough. Gawain's chest and stomach was chiseled, showing tight, athletic muscle that all had purpose. Unlike some of the muscle that those Knights liked to make huge...

"I, ah... Lost it. Yes, I lose my shirt. You wouldn't happen to have a spare one, would you? I mean, well, you are wearing pants. Actually-- why are you wearing pants?! That's so unladylike! And," He scooted close to her now, crossing the gap between them in two quick strides. "What is this strange cloth?!" He was bent over and peering closely at her legs, going so far as to poke and prod.

Marcus stepped between Gawain and Ember quickly, gently pushing the bard back as he started to poke. "Easy, bard, she's here..." He stopped, realizing that Ember didn't, in fact, know why she was here. He pulled his jacket off, tossing it to the musician and muttering, "Get dressed," as he thought of the words to say here. "You've been summoned as part of a competition, m'lady. Dm-" He caught himself quickly, "The King has been rather... indecisive when it comes to picking a bride, and several of the Court have convinced this wizard to 'summon' a... well, a perfect bride."

He winced as he spoke the idea. It hadn't been his, but... it sounded much better before it had happened. He had thought that the girl would have been from this world, at least. "I'm sorry, I had thought that the woman would have been consulted at least before being summoned, or something of that nature." He grimaced inwardly as he had to go through the formalities of speech. He couldn't help but feel sorry for Ember here.

Before Ember could push back the bard herself, the knight stepped inbetween adn did it for her. She was greatful too since she'd probably would have been less gentle than him with the bard for being so forward. She was glad that the knight gave something to the bard to cover him up, things were getting to weird with him being shirtless and close, she only just met him after all.

However, her newly gained calm was ruined when the knight started to explain why she was there, her eyes slowly getting wide and her mouth hanging open like a fish. For a moment she could only gape in silence as she tried to think of something...anything to say...The idea was just crazy.

"Bride?...A bride?! Dude, I'm only 19! I can't be a possible bride or whatever it is that I'm suppose to be! I don't even know where I am or how I got here other than that I fell though some creepy hole in the ground!"

She let out a loud angry sigh, this was just wrong! What ever happened to love? to a first date!?...This place wash starting to get weird, who held compitions like that anyway!?

Meanwhile out in the hall, Alariel was examining King Dmitri's face as Sarrin kindly explained what Renna blabbered out so effectively. She was trying to refrain from glaring at him, but it was impossible to hide her disdain. Granted, Alariel doubted his highness had a very good opinion of her either. The few times they interacted, it had been cooly polite.

This, however, was a very special case. It was too late to be polite.

"Exactly, Your Highness. Using magic to solve this problem is not only irresponsible, it's foolish. That idiot- pardon me, Wizard Vellious, has never been known for casting spells effectively. If he doesn't summon a hell beast, who is know what sort of creature or women he could bring in to this castle? And if indeed he does manage to bring an eligible mate here, I can only imagine from where she might have been stolen from against her will!" Alariel kept her tone even, but it was clear that she was to the brink of exasperation. The King should have already known about this entire ordeal and refused it. If he was on top of things like he should be...

"Oh! Gawain, good... You slept so peacefully, I didn't have the heart to wake you... And I so rarely get handsome men in my chambers these days... You're lucky that summoning spell worked, I was going to try sacrifice next... Or just transmute you into a woman. Oberron knows we need a singing, drunken queen." The wizard jested at the bard, flashing pointy teeth.

He was then quiet - a rare occurance. At the woman's garb, foreign speech patterns, and strange things bring referenced... As well as her wonder at the use of magic, her objection to marriage at 19... He gasped. "Oh no... no-no-no..."

His ears drooped, he fell to his hands and knees, exclaiming, "I'm the worst wizard in the world! Now I'll be beheaded, and my father in the Ligt Realm will be disapproving, Oberron will proclaim me his least favorite grandson..." He gasps again, on the verge of tears,"Oh no! Or the King will make me eat RATS!"

"I didn't summon someone from Rathork - she's from another dimesion! I was aiming locally!" Holding his head in his hands, the man states a sorrowful, "Pixie dust."

A few moments later, his ears perk. "Wait." He rises to his feet, sorrow forgotten, "If you win the contest, I won't have to eat rats!" Clasping his hands together, he begged her, "Please just give his Majesty a chance... I only cast the spell because of the council's binding contract on me..."

"But..." He grins, "...I'll consider it a Favor." The word likely ment nothing to her, but for a fae, it was serious buisiness. A faerie's favor was known to have powerful properties, if used right. Granted, Vellious was no grand Mage. Thinking on it a bit, he states, "Erm... Before that, though, maybe you'd like to get comfortable? You're out of your element, and could use... Guidance, to say the least."

He looked to the knight... Then the bard. "I guess it's too much to ask for you two to keep secrets, isn't it?"

Ember jumped a bit as the Wizard started to freak out about his mistake...How could he not have noticed it before, she was wearing orange jeans for goodness sake! She couldn't hepl feeling bad though...She didn't want him to get into trouble, and it sounded like it wouldn't be a very plesant experience for him if he got caught.

She stumbled back a bit when he hopped back to his feet, not having expected him to recover so quickly. She wasn't completely certain about this, chasing after a man she didn't even know the name of seemed rather pointless, but if he was so worried about her life than maybe she should be worried about hers. She had no idea what this place was like at all, she'd probably not make it on her own if she tried to get out by herself.

She looked at the mage quietly for a moment before giving her sweater an uncertain tug.

"What about sending me back? I mean, you brought me here right? Certainly there's a way to get me back?" She asked, slightly hopeful.

It would probably be better, and safer, if she just went back to where she came from and her presents there went unnoticed my as many people as possible, that way she wouldn't get dragged into this crazy mess any more that she already had.

"Hey, I can keep a secret!" Gawain said in mild, feigned hurt. The greatest indicator that he had feigning his insulted nature was the fact that he wore a bright, toothy, evil grin.

"Sometimes, Wizard, I wish I knew more about these sparkles you made so I could make ballads of how much of a failure you are!" It was mean, but he didn't mean to be mean. Well, okay, he did, but it was true. The bloody Wizard was a heap of trouble, more often than not! Leaving him to summon a bride, of all things?! That was like asking an arsonist to be a part of the fire brigade!

That was a workable likening, wasn't it? Whatever; Gawain was too hungover to care.

"She has a point, Wizard. Why not send her back, and find a proper Ranthrok girl? I reckon, as soon as the Court sees Ember Carriway in what she's wearing here, well... She'll be clear out of the competition, eh? That is what's happening now, right? A contest of some kind?" Gawain shook his head at the sadness of it all. A King relying on a contest to choose his wife?! He was the bloody King!

If Gawain hadn't known that the King was interested in women, after the Court's sixth attempt at finding him a wife, a Queen, Gawain would've composed a limerick or some kind of teasing-ballad about their King's love of men. Thinking back, however, Gawain considered how hilarious that would have been. Thinking back harder, he realized also just how terrible of an idea that would have been.

Yep, that would have been funny when my head went clear from my neck.

"Yeah, I mean it makes sense to find someone from her- hey! what's wrong with what I'm wearing?!"She said as she glared at the drunk bard before looking down at herself. "I like this outfit..." She mumbled.

She couldn't help but be a little offended by that comment, it may have been true but it was still hurtful. It took a lot of guts for her to wear what she did, even back home people gave her weird looks. She did not need to get fashion advice from a man who couldn't keep shirt on! She quickly huffed a bit before glaring at the bard once more.

"No matter what I am wearing, I just don't belong here...I'm completely out of the loop with customs and history and such, they would notice for certain that I wasn't from this world! It's a safer move to just send me back and we all just move on adn forget." She said.

"Uhh..." The uncertainty in the wizard's voice was palpable. "W-well, the thing is... I'm an illusionist. It's all I can really do with any effectiveness. Magic is... Very hard, you see. Making real things, or moving people, it's... Supposed to be nigh-impossible. People have died trying it." Might explain the council's insistence on it. "I... could try to send you back, but I don't know the location of your world. You might end up somewhere hostile to you, or only have pieces of you available when you get there."

While he looked concerned for the female, he turns to look at the bard: "Be happy to try it on you though, sweet thing."

"...First task would be getting you some new clothes, then teach you how to act..." He considers it for a moment. "You know what... Not the act thing. I'm an actor, and know very little about the king, but... With all these women tiptoeing and polite about him, maybe the whole 'peasant' attitude would be a refreshing change of pace...?" He sounded hopeful, ears drooping a moment later. "...Okay, that one was a stretch. I'll be eating rats by tomorrow."

Ember stuttered for a bit as the wizard drooped with depression, she felt bad if he acted like that. She couldn't help but be a little upset herself though...Not being able to return to her home was killing her a bit inside, she just lost her family and friends because of a wizards silly fumble with magic! She bit back her own sadness though, she's have to save it for later. Right now it would be best for her to just suck it up and deal with the cards she was delt...She'd figure out something later.

"Hey...hey look, I'll do the compition...I don't know if I'll do good, but I'll do at least my best...It's all I can really offer anyway..." She said as she rested a hand on his shoulder encouragingly. "Now...about these new clothes?...It might be best If I'm not caught in my current outfit, least we run into someone we dont' want knowing right?"

She smiled a bit, trying to lighten the mood. She knew it could be worse...there were plenty of other bad places she also could have landed.

"Hey, the Wizard's right!" Gawain pitched in, his voice high and chipper. "The King just might like you, with the whole, uh... non-refined attitude. No offense, Ember Carriway, but you're hardly, ah, noble-material. Well, okay, you certainly have the nice sort of curves, and you have a pretty enough face, but..." He shrugged. Gawain had been fighting the urge to step in and gesture and wave his hands about exactly what he was talking about. Perhaps squeeze in a proper squeeze, but with that Sir Knight standing there...

"Yes, yes, there is wisdom in this plan," Gawain said, tap-tapping his chin. "Get you some new clothes, not peasant clothes though, dearie-no! I know a lady out in the city, or, well, maybe we could get a castle seamstress to help us out? But then, that would spread this secret out more..."

That got Gawain to thinking. "Wait a second," he said after a flash of a moment. "Do we want the King to know she's not of this world?!"

"He seems like a bright enough guy, he'll probably come to the conclusion on his own... Maybe we could use the fact she's from an Elsewhere to our advantage...? She could be an amazing exotic!" Biting his lowr lip, he thinks for a moment, inspecting the female. "Until we get some actual clothes..."

The man began to make gestures, a thick veil of magic manifesting. Folding and twisting the veil, which began to float around her, the soft material resting upon her as it 'merged' with her clothes... Becoming an outfit a bit more suitable. "There we go... The only school of magic I can do effectively... And I have to say I'm quite good at it... Hold on, doesn't do to be dressed like a noble without jewelry." Swirling his hands, he brought forth a few rings, a necklace, and earrings... All a part of the illusions. She was still in her other clothes, but she looked like she belonged.

Crossing his arms, he nods - satisfied. "Illusory Garb. Used to use this when I didn't feel like dressing in the morning. It should hold you over for a bit, until we get real clothes..." Smiling appreciatively at the female, he bows. "...Thanks for caring, m'lady. I'll do what I can to make this easier on you... In any case, we'll move to the Lady Seamstress Gawain spoke of."

Sarrin was about to speak again when one of his guards rushed in and whispered something to him. "Your majesty forgive me, but I have urgent business to attend." After the king dismissed both himself and his guard he hurridly walked towards where his guard had said the mage was preparing to summon someone. "are you sure?" he asked. "Yes my lord I saw the summoning circle myself." came the reply. when he arrived at the room he did not bother knocking, he opened the door and walked straight into the room. " Vellious Leaf-Cutter, as Duke of his majesty and member of the royal court i am asking you to postpone what the court has asked you to perform, until the king can weigh in....on.......the................matter." He had begun speaking before he could take stock of the situation. As he continued he noticed the young woman in the room, and could feel the spent magic in the air. "Please tell me you didn't summon this woman." he said with a pleading tine in his voice.

Ember watched him surprise as his magic floated around her and changed her outfit almost completely. Her orange pants and white sweater seemed to merge into a rather long flowing gown, completely oranges accept for a few white accents. What really through her off though was that she still felt like she was wearing pants and a sweater...yet she looked like she did.

When he put on the jewelry it felt even stranger, they were they but she couldn't feel them at all. She couldn't help but shiver a bit, it would be hard for her to act like she was actually wearing something like this if she didn't feel it...

When the doors suddenly opened she couldn't help but jump a bit and sqeak, something that was out of character for her but she was just so deep in her curiousity of this new outfit that she couldn't help it. She looked at the person who entered and her eyes went wide, it was an elf! She stared quietly for a moment as he seemed to put together what was going on here. She didn't say a word, she would leave it to the others to explain.

Vellious turned, offering a smile towards the elven man. "Sure did! Now maybe the Council can leave me be for a while..." He gestures at the female, foxlike ears perking, "Allow me to introduce... m'lady Ember Carriway of Elswyr." Mashing the word 'elsewhere' to something a little more mystical sounding, he dips his head in a nod.

He scratches at his head, turning to look at her himself. "...Honestly, considering I'm an illusionist, this shouldn't have worked. I guess I'm more my father's son than I thought."

"In any case, the beautiful Ember is my contribution to the competition, as ordered." Nervously, he cleared his throat. "So, uhh... I can't postpone the action. It's already done." Dipping his head in shame, he offered a meek, "...I'm sorry, Lord Sarrin. I'm just doing what I'm told to do." His ears fell, and the youth's emotions shifted once more. The problem with being a faerie creature is that... poor Vellious was almost emotion embodied. He had little control over this roiling, ever-changing emotional state.

"It's hard enough they insist on this uncomfortable form, you know. I'd rather be natural, it's so hard to act like I'm much taller than I am." He rubs the back of his neck, pleadingly looking at someone else to take the pressure off of him.

Dmitri looked between Reena and Alariel, doing his best not to look stressed. They were such opposites from his standpoint, the fact they were both brunettes with gorgeous faces set aside. Alariel was so feisty and demanding, while the other was so innocent and sheepish. Nonetheless, he was fond of them, even if one of them saw him as a jerk that treated marriage like it was a game. One of these days, he'd have to explain himself. Whether or not they'd believe him, none of this was his idea!

"Hah, oh dear..." The King rubbed a hand nervously on the back of his neck, giving both of them an apologetic smile. "That silly wizard just never backs down on his ideas, does he? I thought I heard a commotion as well..."

Both doors closed behind him as he walked close to the two women, offering an arm to each. "Shall we go investigate? I'd hate to leave two lovely ladies here by themselves, but if you wish to stay, that is fine by me."

The fabric and armour plates he wore hugged the bulging muscles of his arms quite nicely. He was trained so well and so vigorously during his younger days, it all amounted to such an incredible physique. More than one occasion on the battlefield, his size and weight served as reliable protection for his comrades. No one ever had enough time to rip through his armour, and then his stone-like body, to achieve victory. They were dead on the ground way before that opportunity was even handed to them!

Dmitri was never one to brag, though.

"I thank you for coming to see me," he spoke to them quietly. It was so clear that he was lost without a Queen nearby to share this load of work. Once both, one, or neither of them hooked onto his offered arms, he'd make way to the scene of Ember's arrival. The moment he entered the room, a very loud "AHEM." would echo.

Alariel did not take the King's arm, to allow herself to be led around like a meek and obedient puppy. She did, however, walk at his side while he accompanied Renna to the Wizard's chambers. With the King's subtle AHEM, Alariel found herself staring wide-eyed at a lovely young girl, dressed in a fine white and orange gown. One that seemed to shimmer with the faintest of magical touch...

They were too late. As made obvious by the poorly disguised faces in the room.

Alariel was finding it difficult to control her temper. It felt very much like they were all teetering on the edge of pure chaotic tragedy. She tried to remind herself that at least this young girl wasn't some sort of demon here to devour them all. ...So far.

"I see our command lacks sense after all." she muttered softly under her breath. Then she spoke where everyone could here. "Perhaps one of you gentlemen would like to explain to His Majesty who our newest guest is, while myself and Lady Renna take her somewhere to get acquainted with the castle."

"Or shall we be having a royal wedding right away?" the sarcastic quip came out before she could stop herself!