The Necromancer's Apprentice

"Wonderful! Now I think it's time to leave." As if on que the ogre smashed back into the bar and yelled in a dumb, gruff voice,"NOXELLL!!!" Noxel leaned forward and placed his hand on Snake's head. "Best close your eyes Snake." He said as the ogre stomped forward. Instantly, as if a trap door opened beneath them, they both fell into darkness. As soon as it started it stopped, and they were in a alleyway with a large black carriage in front of them. Snake's pipe was beside her and Noxel stood up to dust his self off. "I know that was sudden but it's better then being flattened."

Blinking confusedly at the sudden shuddering of the tavern, she wobbled in her seat. Through the loud smashing of the ogre's temper, she could still hear Noxel's words very clearly. Obliging, she squeezed her eyes shit, almost opening her mouth to scream when she suddenly felt the feeling of falling. She couldn't scream because just as she was about to, she was already on her own two feet. Her heart was pounding furiously, and she pressed a palm over her left breast, gasping for air.

"Your going to have to cope with sudden things like that." Novel said in a soothing tone as he picked up Snake's golden pipe, wiped a bit of dirt off, and handed it to her. "That was a prime example of shadow travel, one of the first things you will learn. And this..." He gestured grandly at the carriage. "Is my home sweet home."

She blinked confusedly, so this was shadow travelling? Didn't seem like her thing, it made her feel nausea, but perhaps it was just because it was her first time doing something of dark magic and her body didn't quite grasp it well. She picked up her golden pipe and dusted it, giving it a puff before supporting it with long fingers, puffing out green smoke. "Very nice carriage!"

"Thank you. It was a gift from a good friend of mine. Ok! Introductions are required before we set off." He approached the front of the carriage, it's black paint making a reflection on its side, and knocked on a large rectangular chest that replaced the driver's seat. Slowly a shadow with glowing yellow eyes waring tattered old clothing and a lopsided top hat emerged from the chest. It handed Noxel a simple wooden cane and sat on it's chest, staring at Snake. "This is Splint, my catty. And that..." Noxel pointed over Snake's shoulder at a large black hoarse which was gently rubbing it's head against her upper back. Noxel laughed and said ",That's Carrie, who really seems to like you!"

She looked at Splint, Snake had a bad history with cats, but she if she was to travel with Noxel, she would have to deal with it. She set her jaws and narrowed her red eyes at the shadow, it was like two forces fighting each other. It didn't seem to be intimidated by the green smoke around her, either. She felt something rub her and bump her forward. Turning around, she saw a large black horse with bright eyes. Hearing Noxel's introduction, she patted the horse's head, "Hello, Carrie." From her cloak she drew a bright red crisp apple, holding it under Carrie's mouth. The horse looked at her with eyes as bright as a child before gobbling it up, the crunch loud.

"I thought you would like her, she is quite friendly. Oh and of course, I would like to introduce you to my dearest buddy, Slick." Noxel removed the little bottle from his neck, opened it, and emptied it into his hand. A green blob, about the size of Snake's fist, slowly dripped out. Two sleepy eyes appeared on the little blob. Slick blinked and then looked curiously at Snake. Then his face lit up like he remembered something and waved at her with a little bump as a hand. "He thinks you look perfect for the job." Noxel explained.

She flinched at the odd blob, she had thought it would be slimy, but it was quite smooth on her hands. "What is it?" she whispered, holding the pipe between her teeth and moving the hand that was holding it to poke it, laughing as the green jelly like body wobbled. "He's cute," she said, smiling with the pipe between her teeth as she waved back, holding the bump that she assumed was his hand and shook it gently. "Nice to meet you, Slick."

When Snake called Slick cute he gave her a slightly irritated look, he didn't like it when people called him cute, but when she shook his 'hand' his eyes once again showed joy. "He's a green slime, what else?" Noxel asked, he didn't seem annoyed, just confused. He shook his head and his lazy smile returned. "I'm glad you can get along with them so easily. Saddle up Splint!" The shadow hopped off his seat, gave Snake a final glare, and began to tie the carriage reins onto Carrie. "I apologize for the rush, but that orc is going to look everywhere for me, so it's best we leave as soon as possible. Come, I'll show you inside." He let Slick plop to the ground and waved Snake over to the carriage door.

"Green slime, huh?" she poked his strange body with a finger. "I have never seen a slime before." Looking across, she glared back at the shadow, her red eyes glowing like coals. Snake raised her eyes to look at him at his words, nodding silently and moving to the carriage door. She deftly snuffed out her pipe, the green smoke turning lighter and lighter until it disappeared. "I hope you don't mind my pipe on this journey," she muttered, the pipe clamped tightly between her teeth.

"Not at all. My nose has suffered much worse." Noxel replied. Before he opened the door he gave Snake a little warning, "the first few times you enter will probably give you a headache. Just don't think about it too much." He opened the door and ushered his new apprentice in. The carriage room was, put simply, three times bigger then it should have been. There were four doors excluding the entrance with small signs hanging above them. There was the Study, the Guest Room, Training Room, and Master's Quarters. "Before you get all excited, please know that I did not do this, the friend who gave it to me did. You will be staying in the Guest Room, the Study basically speaks for its own, the Training Room is more for physical spells, and the Masters Quarters are my room, which you are not allowed in."

Snake chuckled tonelessly at his comment. She took note of the warning, but didn't know what he meant. Why would she get a headache from entering the carriage? When she took a step inside, her eyes opened in surprise, her red eyes glowing. It was like a small house inside what she thought was a simple carriage. Strange magic at work, Snake thought. She understood why, it was a little hard to comprehend. She studied the room, looking at everything and at the four doors that stood proudly at the walls. "You have a very generous friend," Snake murmured, touching the door to the Study and tapping it as if to see if it were real or not. She nodded to show that she understood. Reaching out for the door handle of her room, she opened it and peered inside.