The Nature of the Serpent

"Well, of course," she said somewhat perplexed just before he put his hand on her shoulder. She didn't quite understand why one place was better then another, though she had to admit further back might be nicer during less ideal weather. Gathering the last few stones and holding the bag of food she walked over and got some wood for the fire, once more using a blank as a sort of serving plater as she poured out the goodies.

The fish was going to be easy to fry. The muscles though... "I certainly wish I had a kettle. I could steam them or make a soup that way." She was going to have to figure out something, but until she did she needed to get her fire started. She glanced over at Aias, wondering why he seemed so distant. She wasn't use to it, growing up on a boat everyone was in each others space all the time and you had to go out of your way to avoid someone. She didn't like it that he stood back.

She needed something. "A kettle?" he asked standing. "What does it look like and where can I find it?" he asked glancing out to the water. "tell me everything you need for now and I'll get it..." his tone was half relieved to be getting away from the knife and half excited about taking a dive through the wreck. He even moved closer to her and bit his lip to stop himself saying any more.

He was beginning to think that getting things out of the sea would be his only use to her while she was on the island. But it was pretty useful at least. They were beginning to divide up labor in a way though really all she was doing was the extra work he didn't really know was needed and was only because she was here. It was strange to think about.

"You know, a kettle," she said making a general spae of one in the air. "With a spout, or one of the really big soup pots." Again she made the shape in the air, he face perplexed. "They'd be in the mess down in the gallery. I really don't think you should go down ther though, it's libal to be dangerous, things still haven't settled since the crash I'm sure."

She leaned back, knowing her warning meant nothing to him, like it had last night. She looked at him, somewhat amused by his eagerness even if she was concerned. There were however more important things then pots. "But if your going to do that, then you can bring some fresh water in them when you're done."

He watched her trace the shapes and listened and tried to think of what she was talking about. "I think the whole ship is a mess." he said before nodding. I'll find a kettle though..." he turned the walked towards the sea.. walking was still a pain and made him use muscles he usually didn't but he made it to the sea and wake out. This was what he preferred, slowly drifting out with his face underwater and then diving down to skim the bottom with his finger and rolling slowly to loot at the sun though the clear sea.

Still there was a wreck to properly explore and he pulled himself though the same window he had last time and looked around. He had worked out that this had been where she slept and he passed strait though not wanting to touch her things.. strangely... then he was in a corridor and heading down, slowly, feeling the wood. It was darker in here but it didn't really affect him. So many rooms, so many strange things to see.

It was easier not to pay attention to what Aias did now that she was inland more. She coaxed the fire into existence until it was a happy crackling cooks fire. It was reassuring as she could then start to cook the fish. A sea chanty was on her lips as she did these basic preparations, but even still, she kept looking back out at the sea. Perhaps she shouldn't have told him where to find the cooking supplies. Surely if he kept going out to the wreckage so often he was going to get hurt.

Another part of her was jealous. He might be wreckless in going out there, but she would not, though she did desire to go out to her ship, to what had become of it, and see for herself what could be salvaged. It would be soon enough though. Once she got a good breakfast shed survey the wreckage and then make her determination on what could be safely gone after.

It was east to loose track of time looking at the objects strewn across the floors and opening chests to look inside them and rifle though to the stuff at the bottom. He had a small collection of trinkets already all wrapped up in another shirt and he hadn't even reached the mess. Then he did though he could taste something in the water, fat, salted beef and pork.. he didn't like it. Still there was a pot.. all blackened iron and Maybe that was a cattle and... These things where heavy!

He couldn't swim with them, even with his trinkets stashed inside. They were just... Walking it was then. He had been down here an hour already and food should be done. Walking along the boddom ne made his way back to the stern window and swam down to the sand to start making his way to shore.

The fish browned up nicely and Musetta was happy with how it was turning out. Her joy slowly turned though. She was all alone and it wasn't nearly as much fun to cook if you couldn't share. Musetta looked around wondering if he returned without saying anything, but there was no sign of Aias.

By the time she started to wonder if something was wrong she knew she'd have little luck finding him. Except maybe he found an air pocket? It was stupid and unlikely and she was starting to walk to the shore when she saw his head bobbing out of the water. "I was worried!" she yelled without thinking. There she was frowning, ridged, and her hands fisted up into tight little balls. She seemed the very expression of anger, but then her expression softened, for she was relieved more then she was angry, for she was only angry because she had been worried. She strided right over to him and grabbed the kettle. "The fish is ready."

He had walked along the bottom the entire way back without getting air once. And was then spitting the water out of his mouth like it was a normal thing. Still she was worried for him when he was in his element why would she be he... oh. Well still he could fill the pot with water and follow, with difficulty. He was tired out slightly and hadn't eaten yet. He stumbled and dropped the pot sending water all over the sand.

He sighed and just picked it up and brought it along. "The only water on the island id the sea." he said as he caught up. before sitting down and opening the shirt with with prizes. There was a compass, and a bonesaw and various odds and ends that he had collected, it certainly explained why had spent to much time there.

"No water? But how...?" then her eyes caught the various items he spilled out onto the sand. She walked away from the fire and bent down and picked up the compass, grinning. "Now this will be useful when we get off the island," she said looking up and grinning at Aias. A compass was really the best friend of any sailor, otherwise you had t rely on the stars and the rating and setting sun, which was fine if it was clear out, but when it wasn't...

Musetta was getting ahead of herself though, they needed to eat and they needed water. She looked up and wondered how he managed to survive without any water. Rain storms? That would only help if he had something to capture the water, which they now did. She wasn't even looking at the sky, a large palm leaf obstructing her vision. "Oh, that's how you do it," she said snapping her fingers. She laughted realizing she could have just asked. "After breakfast why don't you bring down some of those fruit nuts and lets see how much liquid is in them."

HE was sitting a small distance from the fire, it still scared him, chewing on a piece of fish. So humans didn't drink seawater, he had to wonder why. They were stranger than he could have thought. "I saw some big wood pots in the ship maybe use that for water." he said before looking up at the sky. "Rain tonight, maybe." he was still chewing on his fish as he looked at her. then up at the tree, then back down at her. She wanted him to leave the ground above the surface?

"Can I ask you about your mission?" he asked "You were a captain that attacked other ships. Theres many scars on your ship. Where are you from?"

Musetta took her piece, picking at the fish. "Hm? Oh!" It surprised her that he realized she was the captain, most sailors didn't catch on very fast. Some were of course nt very smart, but she understood that it wasn't often for a woman to command a ship, though she was at least not the only one. Granted most were also older then her as well. That his question was something different, that made her rethink what she was to say.

"I'm not from anywhere, not really," she said going for the second question first. "I was born upon the royal ship Humma III, which my father commanded. So I suppose you could say my parents are Sarlian." It never bothered her not having a country to call home, not when her father's country betrayed him. Though they soon learned what a mistake that was. "When I'm not hunting for the Sea Serpent, we usually attack Sarlian ships. Traders usually have more useful items that can be sold or bartered with, but occasionally we go for her navy." The grin evilly. "Sometimes they look for us too."

Tilting her head she glanced at Aias. "People usually assume pirates are all after the same thing, easy riches." It was really a question, she wondered why he asked his questions.

He stared at her his eyes wide. He knew the name of her father ship and almost choked on his fish. He had to shake himself to be able to look down at his fish again nibbling on it like a squirrel. "Pirates are people." he said simply. "They want what everyone wants. You don't strike me as being being after the east way." he didn't look at her but instead put down his half-eaten meal and with a sigh lay down on his side. He looked tired and he was, he was also thinking. He knew that ship, he had seen it sink. "The serpent killed your father?" it hadn't.

He remembered that night, when pirate fought pirate and the grand ship was sunk with all hands. He now understood. "But humans will lie too, to get what they want, pirate or not."

"Yes, not only my father but then my brother." Aias was more perceptive then Musetta would have given him credit for. Usually the thought of what happened to the both of them made her blood boil, but the tone of Aias voice instead caused her to be more meloncoly, somehow taking the wind out of the sails of her rage with a look. It would have been unnerving if had thought about it.

Looking at him confused she simply nodded. Of course people lied, she hated it but that was how the world worked. She felt like he was trying to make a point, but it escaped her. Perhaps it was more of his hermit philosophy. She put her knees up so she could rest her chin on them, still looking at the strange man. He was a puzzle, and it was easier to think about him then her father and brother.

"We should get some of the young fruit nuts down," she finally said, standing.

He stood and looked up. "They would have wanted you to think about their lives, not their deaths." he said before walking over to the nearest tree and trying to see his he could get up. He grabbed the trunk and pulled himself up his bare feet gripping the bark. It was trickier than he thought and he had to grab further up and pull, then repeat the process again and again before he looked down and swallowed. Air, it didn't support and so thin. Why did humans live in it?

Still he climbed further up until he heard a cracking found and grit his teeth. For a moment nothing happened and then, before he knew it he was falling the broken top of the tree handing in top of him after he hit the ground and fruit showered around and on top of him. He kept his eyes closed as his head spun a slight green appearing in patterns on his face chest and arms as his head spun before the glow faded. He got the fruit down but he didn't feel like getting up either.

She didn't reply to his words, instead she watched him go over to the palm and start to climb. Taking a step back she could watch his progression, watching as the muscles in his back moved as he pulled himself up with his arms. Placing her hands on her hips she smirked. Then it went horribly wrong. Even as she heard the crack Aias had stopped. For a moment she thought he would be able to move off the weak limb, but then....

"Aias!" Musetta rushed over to him, she had to back peddle once from falling fruit, then she skidded and knelt over him. "Are you alright? Don't try to get up. How many fingers am I holding up?" She had to fight back the feelings of worry, guilt and panic. It was a fall, not a fun one either, but he was most likely alright. She held up three fingers, a weak smile on her lips in an attempt at being reassuring.

"For that I need to open my eyes." he pointed out and he made sure nothing else was falling before he did, then he held up his hand and opened the almost transparent protective eyelid he had under his others where she wouldn't see. "Three." he said lowering his hand just enough to see but not enough to let the sun shine in them, then he closed his eyes and opened then again the third eyelid that stopped his eyes drying out in a matter of seconds above water closed again.

Hen he picked up one of the fruit and held it out to her. "Here you go, I hope they're edible." he didn't mean to let slip that he hadn't had then before but he just had and even though her concern made him smile he could kick himself, so he distracted her by pointing out something else. "You were worried when I was gone and now you make sure I'm unhurt. You must have been a good captain."

He was relatively unhurt, this was good. When he had fallen she had thought he'd started to bruise and worried that there were things broken, though it had been a trick of the light, for if there were any bruises they were yet to come. He seemed in good spirits despite the fall and she couldn't help but smirk to him poking fun at her for asking him to look when his eyes were still closed.

"Thank you," she looked at the fruit he handed her, amused he would think of it so soon. Though she was starting to look up at him when what he said seemed off. "Well the well being of her crew is a captain's first priority," she said feeling a bit self conscious. "I'm not all sweetness and nice. I can be demanding when the situation calls for it, but I do try to be fair."

Holding the fruit against her body she stood up, then leaned over and offered him her hand. "If you're done with your nap," she figured he was alright, but it was best to offer him some help to stand up just in case. Besides, he just fell trying to get fruit for her.

He took her hand and let himself be pulled up. "A nap sounds good but I think theres things that need to be done first." he looked over the site and then moved to take the blanket off of the top of the boat and lay it down over the leaves and pick up his shirt to pull it on but neglected to button it up.

"You care about your men thats what counts." he looked down, knowing full well she thought they were dead. "When you see them again I'm sure they will welcome you back." his one wasn't teasing and although he didn't look directly at her and instead looked at his feet he was being sincere. She would need to go back to them at some point, but she blamed the death of her father on the wrong person. He would have to help her let go of her anger before she left"Do you see me as you do them?"

Musetta sighed when he mentioned her crew. She doubted they still lived, but if they did she very much wanted to see them again. They were an extended family really. Some she liked better then others sure, but as she had told Aias she tried her best to be fair, and even those that had left voluntarily, wanting to settle down with a wench they met at a tavern or start over in a country that didn't know them, she felt kinship to. They she would never see again but she knew they were happy, or she hoped they were at least.

Looking back over at him, the fruit in both hands once more, she tilted her head. He wasn't looking directly at her and she felt she should give as honest an answer as possible. "Only a bit," she said thinking out her words. "They're my crew, my responsibility. There's a kinship, a bond that developes over time working together in such a small space." She then took a couple of steps forward. "As you said, I'm somewhat your guest here. That's a different dynamic then I'm use to. I'm use to giving orders, but I know that's not nessisary here. If you were my crew you'd be my crew and that would be all. You're not and I like it that way."

That was a lot more explanation then she was expecting. She turned and started walking slowly to the water before he could reply. She wasn't even quite sure what she just meant, though it was all true.

He lifted his head to look at her and stood in a posture that suggested awkwardness. "A lot of the rules of the outside don't apply here." he said quietly. "Theres just two of us so one being in charge doesn't work. What we do and how we do it is only up to us. Acting like you would in public won't help you so being ourselves is best."

He kept his eyes on her, his eyes that were the same color as the deep ocean. "I won't judge, the concern you show tells me you're a good person, so be yourself." he looked away unsure of what to say again then looked back and for the briefest moment put his hand on her arm. "Thank you for caring." he turned away and moved back to the fire to finish his meal, he was feeling thirsty but he could drink seawater, what else they had should be kept for her.