The Nature of the Serpent

Musetta had been squinting at the sundappled ocean, but she looked down when she heard his words. "I sorta hoped that would eventually happen you know. That you could meet them. After all you're the one that seems to think this is all going to turn out okay." She looked away, but only because she was still trying to make minute changes. Getting familiar with how this boat handled for a long voyage with only the two of them took more skill then she would have admitted having.

As they continued through the waves she thought about what he asked some more, turning it on its head. He was worried she might be ashamed of him? It made her sad that he was so devalued by others he might expect that from her. She didn't think he thought badly of her, but poorly of himself. "Aias, how could I be anything but happy that you're here with me? It's about what we have in this moment. The freedom to go in any direction we want, and we chose to go together." She glanced at him again. "Thank you for that."

On the inside he squirmed. He wasn't going with her when she finally escaped for good. But it raised a question, had he ever been free? Would he ever? Did he need to be to be happy? "Then be happy, I'm sure you'll see them again soon, and be on a ship the size you are used to and have your freedom. I would like to be there too, when you return to your life." this was true. He really did want to stay in her life. But now he was running out of things to say and was looking to the side avoiding her gaze. "Thank you for... everything too."

Musetta smiled warmly at him. It seemed he was feeling more welcomed into the world beyond the island, or at least her world. It also lead to a thought she had before. "Aias, I do want you there, but I want you happy. You've been on the island for a very long time. Is there anything you've wanted to do?"

She couldn't make any promises about being with him if there was something he wanted to do. But she could support him, and Musetta hoped that was enough. Maybe, just maybe, even if he did want to do something he wouldn't want to right away. She hoped so, because she liked seeing him every day. She enjoyed his simple delight in life and even the frustration when he got philosophical. If he had to go though, if his path lead him away, she wanted to be sure he knew he was always welcomed to return.

She was a captain without a crew and without a ship. But with Aias and this small boat on the ocean, she felt opertunities were much easier to behold.