Status
Not open for further replies.
Today had been the worst day of your entire life so far. You have not lived too long on this planet, but now you are sure that the entire universe is out to get you, because as far as you are concerned, everything that could go wrong went catastrophically ballistic. In fact, it went so wrong that you do not know if you can continue to live as you have before and right now, you wish for nothing more than to curl up into a little ball in one of your apartment's corners. Even that is denied to you as someone knocks on your door, then slips a mysterious envelope into your house through your mail slot.

Well, that is just one more catastrophe to deal with for today, you muse as you go to the door and open it, but whoever was responsible for the breach of your privacy is long gone as if they disappeared into the ether. You look down to your feet and you see an envelope that proclaims a simple message in big, fancy letters.

ARE YOU DEPRESSED?
Yes, you are. You are even more so now because you are fairly sure that this is just an elaborate prank to get you down again, but much to your surprise, the envelope contains a flier you had never seen before.

MMS.png
The contents definitely seem very suspicious and a little bit too much on the spot, but what do you care? It is not like you have anything to do on Friday anymore, not to mention that even if these people can not cheer you up as they proclaim, at least you will get to revel in the misery of your fellow human beings before you share your own. After all, there is no possible way that anyone could has it worse than you right now, right? The only way there is from here is up, right? All too eager to share your misery with the rest of the world, you get a pen and fill in the enclosed application form.

Last edited:
ROLEPLAY RULES
0.) Have fun playing! The sole purpose of this roleplay is entertainment, so if you are feeling frustrated, unwelcome or just not having a blast, feel free to speak up!
1.) Never be afraid to ask questions! If you have any concerns or questions regarding this roleplay, feel free to contact me. I may not respond to you immediately, but I promise that I will help you to the best of my abilities!
2.) If I say something is final, then it is final. You can question my decisions during the roleplay, but if I say that something is final, then it can be no longer challenged.
3.) Expect the unexpected. This is not an extremely serious game and as such, it plays fast and loose with certain conventions and expectations. Be prepared for lots of surprises!
4.) Your character may change through play. Though I will never force your character's personality to change, almost everything else is fair game. These changes may or may not be final, but if you are not okay with this, then please do not play in this game!
5.) Suggestions, creativity and contributions are welcome. I may be the one running the game, but if one of my players have a cool idea, I will listen to it and it may even end up being a large part of the game.
6.) Be active! I will try my best to check in and post at least once a week. I expect my players to do the same and I reserve the right to remove people who are not active enough.
7.) Last but not least, include "I hereby proclaim that I am a member of the Mysterious Misery Society!" at the bottom of your character sheet so that I know you read these rules.

Unbeknownst to you, you have signed up for something that is far more complicated than a support group for people who have shitty lives. In fact, had you read the fine print at the bottom of the flier along with the invisible ink on the back of it, you would know that this is nothing but an insane ploy by the equally mad Zanierojorömonupinboltesaumänn, a highly eccentric billionaire otherwise known as Mister Z. It is impossible to tell what he has in store for you, but one thing is for sure: You are in for the wildest ride of your life and you are blissfully unaware of it.

So what is this?
This is a light-hearted RP with comedic overtones that focuses on a bunch of everyday people who just wanted to tell others about their problems, but ended up getting much more than they bargained for. These very, very ordinary people will have to use their wits, bravery, creativity and skills to survive every single scheme that Mister Z throws at them whether they like it or not… Because the Mysterious Misery Society will always find a way. If not four or five.

Sounds like fun! How do I sign up?
You have to fill out the Mysterious Misery Society's Application form as seen below!
Name:

Appearance (Trust us, we really need this!):

What Are You Good At?

What Are You Bad At?

Tell us a little about yourself in a maximum of four paragraphs!

The second page of the application form is a little more ominous…
MMS2.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
Last edited:
cd0a9ee341d68f95c78059189e4458be.jpg

Name: Avery Coulson

Appearance: Avery is tall, slender, and has deep, brown eyes that display his soulfulness. He is of a lithe build, atypical of males, with defined muscles that show he cares for his physique. He usually wears bomber jackets and aviator shades, to provide an image that he is both fashionable and careless in regards to the fashion world.

What Are You Good At?

Avery is a skilled musician, talented in the acoustic, electric and bass guitar.

Avery is a somewhat skilled communicator, able to bring his point across to his peers and convince them of his opinion.

What Are You Bad At?

Avery lacks self confidence, due to a plethora of personal situations.

Avery is not very strong, so physical exertion is one way to effectively render him useless.

Avery is a man with a dream. Become famous, achieve stardom. Find happiness. Because happiness is something Avery lacks as a transgender male, his dysphoria, created by his biologically feminine self, slowly creating a sinking turmoil within him that has left him somewhat hollow, and even more slowly unable to cope. So he took up the leaflet after a near-death experience with a fault wire and a guitar (this is what you get from trying to plug in two amps, a loop pedal and an electric guitar in the same plug), he took up the opportunity to be part of the Misery Society in order to try and find the help he needed.

mms2-png.106818

GUITAR SOLOS AND PHOENIXES

"I hereby proclaim that I am a member of the Mysterious Misery Society!"

Last edited by a moderator:
prov-image-300dpi-gadling-bumper.jpg

Scanning
Scanning Completed!

Welcome to the Mysterious Misery Society, Mr. Avery! We are thrilled to see a skilled musician amongst our ranks and are saddened to see that your outlook on life is so bleak. Please feel free to come in and take a seat; we will be happy to listen to your problems. Guitar solos can be heard from 10 P.M. to 4 A.M. in the basement and you will be given a free pass to visit the phoenix cages at any time.​

Last edited:
This RP has been noticed and adored! CS INCOMING! sorry it's so pretty. ㅠㅠ
divider.png

"Yes, I am very aware that my name is complicated when pronounced with an American accent. Therefore, please, call me Min."

large.png

(Song Jin Min.)
4669189.png

divider.png

tumblr_n412sf5Kbv1r7bfq3o1_250.gif

23 | Male
Min tends to dress rather lavishly despite his constant mood of utter suffering.
Suits, slacks, bowties, glasses, jewelry, pocket squares, and blazers are what one would usually see inside Min's closet space. Min usually takes his wealthy fashion up a notch by dyeing his hair with bright and unnatural colors such as purple, pink, or red. If he feels like bringing his weekly fashion down, he will dye his hair in a natural, dark color while wearing something simple like a sweatshirt and jeans.
Rest assured, money cannot buy anyone happiness. Not even Min.

34ov8lv.gif

divider.png

+
Spending money all in one place.
Standing out in a crowd.
A crowd pleaser and manipulator.
Hiding emotions.
Fashion.
Studying something worth knowing.
Binge eating, drinking, and drug using.
Posing in front of a camera.

+

divider.png

Gambling.
Controlling surges of emotional breakdowns.
Singing.
Empathy.
Lacks self-confidence, despite his abundance of avant-garde clothing.
Coming from 100% Korean descent he has a bit of trouble using a fork, knife, and spoon as a habit.
Managing money.

divider.png

Born into a wealthy Korean family, Min has had no experience with working hard for anything. His dreams and aspirations were different than the average human being, and that's what peculiarly got him liked.
He got along with everyone for a while, casually giving money to those he has made acquaintances with when they asked.
After immigrating to America, he realized that the reason why people have been adoring and bowing at his feet throughout his life span, was because he was merely nothing to people but a walking ATM.

This fact alone got him into a spiraling path of negativity.

The culture shock between Korea and America was turning Min into a whirlpool of emotional instability as people gave him death glares, crude remarks, betrayal, and bruises.
His wealth and prosperity slowly but surely got him favored and catcalled by drug addicts, dealers, prostitutes, gang members, gamblers, and runaway felons. For years on end, he has spent his money in America but nothing on gambling, drugs, whores, and alcohol.
The more he purchased, the more depressed and addicted he got. Min could not stop spending his money, and still can't. He could not rid himself of his money. Not that he wanted to rid himself of his wealth, anyways.

A few years after his "rugged" lifestyle in America, a simple flier slid through the slit of his doorway. A flier to salvation.

divider.png

Rummaging through his closet for something to wear, Min came across a small packet with a superfluous amount of Critter Stickers. A perfect thing to mark checkboxes with.

"I hereby proclaim that I am a member of the Mysterious Misery Society."

¢ [spoili]
iK6IAJ0.jpg

[/spoili] ¢

divider.png

Last edited:

Scanning
Scanning Completed!

Welcome to the Misterious Misery Society, source of cash whom we will milk until they become a homeless drunkard hobo, I mean, Mr. Min! Your cash application looks fabulous, however, we take our rules very seriously indeed and we advise that you read them! I am sure you will become a valueable member of our little circle if you take the time to familiarise yourself with them. Rest assured though, that you will feel yourself at home in our fabulous coin museum and you will be able to get quite a bit of work experience on the robot assembly lines.

The rules of the Mysterious Misery Society have been read throughly and familiarized with; and the CS has now been edited, just so one (*ahem* I) won't make the same mistake twice.

Congratulations, our newest sack of cash Mr. Min! You have been accepted into the Misterious Misery Society!

• Thank You
Reactions: Jihae
Ah, question for making a character, what's the youngest a character can be?

You have to be at least eighteen years old to join the Mysterious Misery Society!

Name: Dani Demelza

Appearance (Trust us, we really need this!):
Dani is black, her skin color a dark brown. She has black hair that's usually tied in cornrows and dark brown eyes that can give a nasty glare. She has full lips and a tiny nose while her eyebrows are not prominent or noticeable. She's also an A cup and has a few scars on her where her cat scratched her arms. Her clothing consists of jeans and light colored t shirts, wearing a denim jacket to cover the shirts.

What Are You Good At?
Math, science, calculating numbers in general, being a sales clerk, interacting with others

What Are You Bad At?
English, other languages, swimming, hiking, biking, sports in general, physical activities in general

Dani was born a happy kid, always in the limelight in some way in her parents' eyes. At least, until her little sister was born, then the attention was directed at her. Still, she did her best in school and her family was able to move to a better neighborhood after some sort of serious crime happened in their old one, she doesn't know what though, because no one tells their kids anything.

As time went on, she began to feel apathetic about some things. Her usual passion for numbers was slowly dwindling away while he grades started to slip in her best subjects. She just didn't care anymore, which worried her parents to no end. Unfortunately no one in the family believed that she might be suffering from a mental illness, thinking that that sort of thing wouldn't happen in their family. Really, they were doing okay in terms of providing for themselves and paying the mortgage, and were practically living the good life, so what was there to complain about?

Her breaking point was after she graduated that her pet cat got sick. The family rushed him to the vet. Sadly, the cat died and she was distraught for a good long while, until she got the letter that talked about the Mysterious Misery Society. What could that mean? She honestly thought it was a support group and told her parents about it. Since it was free, they let her do her own thing within the group.

mms2-png.106818

Dyson Spheres and Artificial Intelligence

I hereby proclaim that I am a member of the Mysterious Misery Society!

Scanning
Scanning Complete!

Welcome to the Mysterious Misery Society, Ms. Dani! We are excited to hear about someone who knows all about the numbers. Rest assured, that we do too, so please do not check out the ASERAAÉALKFÉLKAKROlaksékfl...

We are deeply sorry that you had to witness that. Rest assured that the Mysterious Misery Society will do its best to keep its automatons in line in the future. In the meantime, are you interested in the several vacation spots that suddenly and coincidentally happened to open up just now? Please do not worry about issues of safety as there is nothing harmful on the surface of the Sun!

thet-mon-myint.jpg

Name: Thiri Hla Thura

What Are You Good At?
- Painting
- Language aquisition
- Mediation

What Are You Bad At?
- Standing up for oneself
- Leading
- Making tough choices
- Dealing with criticism or disapproval
- Public speaking

Tell us a little about yourself:
There has always been a pressure on Thiri to succeed and to thrive. Just before she was born, her parents fled from their home country of Myanmar following the swift and violent suppression of protestors and the coup that followed. They had remained for a time, hopeful that the promised elections would restore some semblance of stability but were met with disappointment on the front and risked the lives of themselves and their young children escaping.

Not more than a year after their flight, Thiri was born, the youngest of three children and the only daughter. This, however, was not a hardship in and of itself, as women were well-respected in her parents' culture. But it was always a matter of looking up to her brothers, of trying to emulate them and never quite measuring up. She has always felt like a failure when people compare her to Soe, the eldest, and Phyu, the middle child. Soe remembers, a little, what life was like in Myanmar and how poor her family was there and has embraced the luxuries of this new life with an almost obsessive diligence. He is thirty this year, married now with a baby daughter of his own and working for a bank. Phyu is twenty-seven, not yet married but finishing residency to become a doctor.

Thiri, in comparison, has not shone so brightly in life. Meek and quiet, she has always been more of a dreamer than a doer and knows well that she looks like a failure compared to her brothers. They encourage her and Soe even took time off of work to attend the little showing where one of her paintings was featured, but her parents have made no secret over their doubts regarding her future.

"We love you, yadana, we want you to be happy. But happiness does not fill your stomach." This only redoubles her guilt, her fears about disappointing her doting parents. She earned a degree in early childhood education and works in a preschool at present but she is not good at disciplining the children and wishes that should could be alone to paint.

Today was almost enough to cause Thiri to give up completely. She returned home from work after cleaning the horrific mess caused by a child with some sort of stomach virus, scrubbing foul smelling bodily fluids of all kinds from the floor, to find a letter from a gallery informing her that her painting had not been selected for their showing. And just as she had set herself down on the chair in her tiny apartment to have a good cry over it, a car parked outside the window began blaring music with enough bass to shake the walls.
GIxkKpt.gif

Thiri frowned as she flipped to the second page of the application and gave the nonsensical checklist a furtive once-over. Was this a joke? Was there someone out there trying to mess with her head? The checklist sure looked like a joke, if not one that was very funny to her. She read all the options and considered them , pursing her lips and furrowing her brow as she did so. What kind of options were these, exactly? She tapped her lips with the eraser of her pencil, thinking over the options far more seriously than was probably warranted.

Finally, she lowered her pencil to the paper and made a check in the box labeled "Magic". Magic would be great, right? Or would it? What if the wrong people had magic, then they'd make a real mess of things. She erased the check mark and scanned the other options. Or maybe people could use the magic to help other people? She checked the box again, leaving a slightly smudgy mark. This was hard and she felt tired just looking at the application. Everything made her feel tired lately. With far less deliberation, she checked the box next to "???", figuring that that summed up her feelings on the matter anyway.

guppy.png

I hereby proclaim that I am a member of the Mysterious Misery Society!

Last edited by a moderator:
(Quick general 'hey' of interest, expect a form...Sometime)

Scanning
Scanning Completed!

Welcome to the Mysterious Misery Society, Ms. Thiri! We are glad that a person with such an artistic vision is joining us and we look forward to witnessing your work in the future. In the meantime, why not take a look at our grand library that features many old grimoires, said to contain magic? Or perhaps [DATA EXPUNGED] when [TEXT DELETED] while [INFORMATION CENSORED] it?

Status
Not open for further replies.