The most touching gift of my life

L

Lewi

Original poster
I don't mean to rant guys, but I have to share with someone.

So Christmas has a track record of being absolutely crappy for me. And not because I'm whiny and complain about what I didn't get, because that's not what Christmas is about to me. Christmas has always had an awful memory with me because my family always fought, or they would gossip about this and that, and no one ever went through the holiday without trying to kill each other. And each and Every. Single. Year. I would wind up with a broken heart. I would be so sad to see my family so divided and hostile. It would rip me into mere shreds every year. Year after year after year I found myself unhappy, putting on a fake smile, and really feeling no enjoyment whatsoever on the holiday. This year was different. It was very different.

This year, I have faced probably the hardest trials in my life. I lost mobility. Both of my legs were taken, and it was devastating. Perhaps even more devastating was the fact of how hard it was to learn how to use prosthetics. It still doesn't really seem real when I look down and all I see are two curved metal rods. My family still remained divided.

Earlier in the year I found myself without a home, and I often found myself roaming from place to place for a night or two here or there before settling in where I am now and hoping it would last. So far it has. That was five months ago.

It's been an emotional train wreck. Especially when I have been struggling my way through college, and when I say struggling, I don't mean 'Oh! I have term paper due tomorrow, I better get on that!'. I am talking, I don't know if I have the money to buy groceries to eat this evening...much less pay for desperately needed supplies I need for my classes, books, and tuition. There's been many days I have went without just to try to further my education and break the cycle my family had fallen into. I worked hard. Extremely hard. And I tried to escape all that here on Iwaku with you absolutely wonderful and incredibly supportive people. Just having the comfort of knowing there was someone else on the other end of a computer screen in case I needed them was an extreme comfort that ultimately held me together like glue.

Then there was the sickness. My mom had to have a heart catherization and it nearly killed her because of a blockage knocked free. 90% on the main artery to her heart and they managed to do an emergency surgery and save her. Then my grandpa got ill. He had to have a finger removed. That's not losing your legs, but I have never wept so hard. I know what it's like to lose part of you, and let me tell you, it's one of the most difficult things, if not the most difficult, I have ever faced in my life. It may be only a finger, but I know it doesn't make it any easier.

There was the death of two close friends to me. One around July, and another just two weeks ago. I don't even want to get into that.

I never told anyone here or off of Iwaku. Certainly not the whole story until now. I didn't want anyone to think I was seeking pity.

But tonight, I got the most wonderful gift I believe I will ever receive. As always, my family wanted to get together for Christmas. I agreed. As always. This one was a little different. Usually, I would be staying with my parents the week before so I could visit. Because of a bad falling out earlier in the year, I agreed to stay, but only the night before Christmas. Then we go to my grannies and we have Christmas there, spend the night, and we have dinner on Christmas Day.

I went down expecting the usual heart wrenching fighting to start between my parents. Love them both, but in history, they can't get along to save their lives. There was nothing. We had a blast. Everything went as smoothly as it could, but I kept waiting to see what would happen. We have a new addition to my family this year. My uncle recently discovered he had a daughter he never knew about that is about 3 years younger than me and we hit it off. She was welcomed with open arms much to my surprise and she's been the extra unspoken support and the friend I needed all along. Usually new people are welcomed with distrust and gossip in my family. She was welcomed openly and warmly.

The long drive went fine, as did Christmas. I was gifted a new laptop. After all my struggling with college and the thing that would have helped the most was a functioning laptop, I was given one. And my family (who isn't doing so good financially as this is West Virginia and if you live anywhere near here or keep up with news, you'll know our state isn't doing so good right now.) had all pitched in to get it. I was moved. Extremely moved. Moved to tears. I opened the box and I proceeded to bawl my eyes out. They kept asking why I was crying, and all I could say was that I was happy. I was so moved to tears because no one understood how much easier this has made my life with school. And no one fought. I wasn't so much moved by the gift of technology, but rather the gift that everyone got along and we had a nice, loving, family Christmas. I am still boo-hooing about it. And I cannot explain in words how badly I needed this or the true bliss it has brought me to just see my family so well together. That, to me, was the greatest gift I could ever receive.

Sorry for the long rant, but I needed to share that with you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Error Detected: Insufficient indentation to begin decryption of message.

Typing from an ipad because laptop is charging lol. I'm so sorry, I know it's a grammatical mess.

I edited for you @Asuras or I tried as best as I could to break it into paragraphs. I kinda jumped around lol

Sorry to hear about the prior struggles, but happy to hear they resolved themselves/got better. I can't say I understand what it's like to have a dysfunctional family, but I imagine it's pleasant to experience something other than conflict during Xmas instead. Merry Xmas. Here's to a better year, Lewi.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
I don't think there's anything I can say about this. I'm just happy this all worked out so well for you.
May your Christmas your merry, your New Year be happy, and your life long and prosperous.
wait hold on that last one didn't fit at all

Reactions: Lewi
That's fucking awesome dude. Seriously, I'm ecstatic for you, and I really appreciate you sharing this story with us - because it's stories like this that remind me what Christmas is really about. And, I suppose, that things can get better, even unexpectedly.
So, here's to hoping this is a herald of next year beating out the shittiness of this year, and things improving. Merry Christmas, Lewi.

• Love
This was a great story! ;__;

• Love
Merry Christmas Lewi im glad it all worked out for you I know this isn't much but here -hands you a butt load of sweets and all that-

• Love
Man can I understand where your coming from. I still luckily have my legs and don't have to worry about the basic necessities but family difficulty made up a lot of my childhood. The reasons are something i won't disclose just yet but suffice to say it ended in divorce. my parents get along a hell of a lot better now and even live together. And Also about 2 years ago my grandpa died thanks to altimeter disease and the results of the meds he was using to keep the cancer he had at bay. That pushed me over the edge regarding my beliefs in a caring god. so now i'm Deist. This has caused minor issues but nothing major. Still like the rest of the family i celebrate Christmas. for me it has pretty much always been about family. always has been.

• Love
I can't say that I have given up on my religion yet, but I am glad that someone relates. It's very hard not to be selfish at times and complain, but I keep reminding myself that complaining won't help any in the end.

I can't say that I have given up on my religion yet, but I am glad that someone relates. It's very hard not to be selfish at times and complain, but I keep reminding myself that complaining won't help any in the end.
true enough. and that event was more like the last straw. Was already well on my way. though while it's good not to totally go self-pity some grumbling can be good for your sanity and help people see what's up.

I will give you that. I'm just not the grumbling type. I don't like to bother people with my problems. lol I feel like they have better things to do than listen to me.

I will give you that. I'm just not the grumbling type. I don't like to bother people with my problems. lol I feel like they have better things to do than listen to me.
same. usually when i have an emotional breakdown i let loose most of my stuff. getting better at communicating though.

Yeah. I tend to have quite a few of those. Especially when I am feeling bad like if it gets cold where my legs are fresh amputations it's like I can still feel them there, and they hurt. When I don't feel well I bite everyone's head off and wind up having a breakdown because I yelled at them, and then I get sad over my legs again. Even though it's been months.

Yeah. I tend to have quite a few of those. Especially when I am feeling bad like if it gets cold where my legs are fresh amputations it's like I can still feel them there, and they hurt. When I don't feel well I bite everyone's head off and wind up having a breakdown because I yelled at them, and then I get sad over my legs again. Even though it's been months.
well you ever need an ear shoot me a convo. I know what it's like to go through mental hell. no one should have to bear that alone.