The Miscellaneous Iwaku Storytelling Contest: May 2017

That one is Jorick's sentence, so you can take complaints with aesthetics to him. 8D

Technically both are correct, as EJ said. I'd accept either but that's just me. @Kitti @Jorick

• Useful
Reactions: Kitti and Greenie
Also I think the quotes are references to stuff (correct me if I'm wrong though) since I think I recognize a few of them from fiction somewhere...

EDIT: NVM

I came up with the line in question. It's grammatically sound, and the "I'd" (which as Elle Joyner pointed out is shortened form "I had" for the sake of aesthetics) changes the meaning of the sentence a bit from what it would be if that was just "I" instead.

"I had <past tense verb>" is the past perfect tense, which indicates that an action was finished at some point in the past before some other past event occurred. It's saying that at the time being spoken of, it felt like the speaker had already possibly slipped, tripped, and fallen into a pleasant dream before whatever strange event provoked the thought. It sets out an implied timeline in the past: fell into pleasant dream THEN other thing that belongs in a dream happened. Even if the event that sparks the line of dialogue comes first in the story, it'll be clear which order things happened in.

Just using "I <past tense verb>" there, on the other hand, would be a little weird because it would be lacking that sense of order of events. It would be like they're saying they fell into a pleasant dream AND other thing happened, because there's no sense of one coming before the other. Confusion is unlikely given this particular sentence, but whenever you're trying to say one thing in the past happened before other things in the past then the past perfect tense is preferred. Not using it here would not be incorrect though, just less clear, in my opinion.

*takes off grammar nerd hat*

But it's all good, tweak it a bit if you don't like the past perfect tense version. The challenge is making use of these lines as dialogue, not in maintaining their exact grammatical structure and making it fit in with the rest of your writing. :D

The English language at its finest, in all its imperfect glory.~

Gah! I can't decide if I want to go the sci-fi route, the fantasy route or a mix of the two. XD but be assured that I will have something.

Well, read the prompt when it came out. Told myself 3 days. If I don't come up with an idea I love, beginning to end, I'm not doing it cause I won't have time to find is if I'm stuck on plot forever..... I'll commence writing after work

Regardless of its quality, my entry for this month's MISC is my first cohesive piece in two years (outside of roleplaying)! I'm rather proud of it.

As long as you try!!!

I will attempt to enter this round if I have the time ^^

• Thank You
Reactions: Joan
Oh crap I just realized I won't be able to enter in this one because I'll be without Internet for a couple of weeks soon.....ugh why now

Oh crap I just realized I won't be able to enter in this one because I'll be without Internet for a couple of weeks soon.....ugh why now
D: sorry to hear that Neo.

• Thank You
Reactions: noodle
Question, Is a torture or "horror movie"ish style allowed? ^^ I'm thinking of seeing what I can do with those quotes

Question, Is a torture or "horror movie"ish style allowed? ^^ I'm thinking of seeing what I can do with those quotes
Absolutely. The only thing we put a limit on is sexual content, and that can be submitted too: it just needs a warning for readers. Horror and gore and such are all clear.

Jorick/Astaroth said:
Fair warning, I suck ass at drawing non-humans.
Lol git gud skrub. Because If I win you'll be drawing TREES FOR DAYS >:D!
MUHAHAHAHA!

But on a more serious note, I have a few questions for our guide:

1. Do the quotes required have the be in the very beginning of your story, as if it was a standard dialogue prompt? Or are you just hunting through the story in search of a required Quote?

2. Can we format the required quotes to be easier to see from the untrained eye? And would it be helpful to you judges if we did?

Last edited:
MUHAHAHAHA!

But on a more serious note, I have a few questions for our guide:

1. Do the quotes required have the be in the very beginning of your story, as if it was a standard dialogue prompt? Or are you just hunting through the story in search of a required Quote?

2. Can we format the required quotes to be easier to see from the untrained eye? And would it be helpful to you judges if we did?
You quoted the wrong person. Astaroth is doing the drawing, hahaha.

1. Anywhere in the story, doesn't have to be at the start.

2. If you feel like it, go for it. It would be helpful but not at all required.

Reactions: Nue
MUHAHAHAHA!

Do I look like Jorick to you? D:<

*Fires Nue*

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Pahn and Greenie