The Man Who Was Never There

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Have a pleasant evening, Duchess, and thank you again for allowing me the honor of your abode. Be well and faire well," is all Matthew says as he drips away into the crowed, wanting to scan a few more people before leaving.

He did not like, at all really, the fact that Amelia couldn't have taken him home with her that night but he let the issue go. After a few more drinks, he left the party, giving his best wishes to authoritative figures such as the Queen and the various Lords and Ladies. What he did not expect, however, was to find a woman waiting for him in his carriage. She had eyes as deep as a canyon the color of rich chocolate matching the curly blonde hair that bounces down to her shoulders. Her hat covers the left side of her face, nothing too fancy or upper class but just enough to demand his attention. Without question, he steps inside, ordering the driver to simply take a stroll around London's heart while they speak. Now with two letters in his possession, a kiss on the cheek, and a quick farewell, she is dropped off at an appropriate spot. Matthew is taken home.

The Captain doesn't sleep for a time traveler's energy comes from the ticking of the clock, not the toll of the body. His night and most of the next day is spent in Paris at a cafe on a small winding street. He is working, listening to the buzz around him and waiting for a delivery of the letter he was handed the night of the ball. A meeting is made, parchment exchanged, and both gentlemen move on their way. Coming back to his present time in a flash of blue light, Matthew makes his way into another carriage, one that has been waiting for him to be taken to the Duchess' estate.

The drive is relatively short for normal folk but it feels like hours for a time traveler. When he arrives, he is greeted by the butler and a few of the servants. He is asked to wait in the parlor and he does so with his arms crossed behind his back. His double breasted jacket, as deep a black as the checkered tiles on the floor, swaying at his thighs. The top hat is pressed between his fingers, a smart dressed man for what feels like a royal household.

After leaving the party that night, Amelia and James went home to rest. Before she had the chance to lay down in the bed, Amelia got with several of their servants and butler, explaining to them that they would be having a guest staying with them for a while. Once they all understood, she dismissed them and laid down next to James, falling fast asleep.

The next morning after James left to go speak with his father at their family manor, Amelia went through the room with her servants to see if everything was in place for Matthew's arrival to the home. Once everything was check, she made her way down to her office. Upon opening the doors of the room, all you could see was piles of paper from the floor to the desk, books scattered or out of order and a table off to the side with a map of London marked with X's indicating where the murders had taken place or where the bodies were found. She had spent most her morning in the office until the butler came in to announce that their guest had arrived and was waiting for her in the parlor.

Fixing herself up a bit, she wrapped and tied her silk lace robe about her tightly before getting up from the table to head to the parlor. Seeing the man when turned the corner, Amelia smiled at him as she walked up to him. "I hope you enjoyed the ride here, it can be long if you're not used to coming out this far." She said as she took a seat in one of the armchairs near them.

((From my phone))

Matthew turns when he hears the rhythmic pitter of her footsteps on the granite tiles beneath their feet. There is a slight narrow of his eyes, his mind expecting the Duchess to be dressed in the more ornate attire even in the comfort of her own home. Wasn't it a part of a social status to, indeed, dress for the occasion of guests? He, pushing these words from his mind when his eyes meet hers. Despite the dark smears underneath his eyes, Matthew nods his head at her. Even a time traveler's body must heed the toll of little to no sleep.

"It was a pleasant ride, indeed," he begins, moving to the chair opposite her for he assumes she will want to ask him questions. But before they sit, his hand on the hand carved flower etched into the wood backing, he gives a suggestion. "Would your ladyship perhaps care to show me around your beautiful estate? After such a long ride here, I would adore some company and a walk to work out the knots that have worked their way into my legs." He looms over his own chair, beaver skin hat in one hand and the other gently tapping upon the wood. "Unless you don't wish to take advantage of the beautiful day breaking through the clouds. I suggest that we save the talk of work for later and speak of one another."

He is certain that getting to know his partner will strengthen their ability to co-exist here in this household. The case will benefit from their willing collaboration. But that, he assumes, can only happen if they are to befriend one another first. "I wish to get to know you, Lady Cavendish," he speaks her title softly, not quite knowing what to call her in her own estate, "for we will strike brilliance if we know how to work together. I fear the only way of that is to speak of our past and become one brain through a, sort of," he waves his hand a little in the air, trying to catch the words that are there, "friendship. If you will allow such a thing."

Looking up at him, from where she sat, Amelia listened to Matthew speak about how it would be good for them to walk around a bit since he had to take such a long right to their estate and about creating a bond between them. Thinking that it would be good for them, being that he is her first partner, she agreed to his suggestions. Getting up from the seat, she gently placed a hand upon his shoulder as gesture for him to follow her as she gave him the tour.

The estate was more than enough for just two people and people who worked for them. The west wing of the estate had every thing that would accommodate them and guests who would visit. Bedrooms, parlor, dining room, offices, kitchen, bathrooms and so much more. The east wing accommodated those who worked for them, each had their own bedroom with a bathroom attached, a kitchen, dining room and even a parlor for their own use. Though they lived in a grand estate, Amelia didn't like things over the top, so the place was decorated with simplicity and only a few things standing out in every room. Only one place mattered to Amelia the most and that was the garden. Walking out the the back with him in tow, Amelia took a deep breath of fresh air and grinned to herself. "So you know, if aren't able to find me anywhere in the estate, I will most likely be out here."

The garden was decorated with large trees and bushes of flowers along with a small pond, where a bench sat near. Cobblestone lead you to a secluded place between the trees, where an outdoor dining set in the middle surrounded by nightshades and wolfsbane. On top of the table laid tea and two sets of meals waiting for them, set up for them by the servants, knowing that they would end up here at the end of the tour. Sitting down at the table, Amelia found herself curious about Matthew Ryder. "Tell me something, Ryder. You must be a hard worker like myself, seeing that you're working immediately after getting back from war."

Just because he is a time traveler doesn't mean that he can't gape at what he sees in her home. Although he has been to medieval castles decorated in tapestries and ornate rugs or has traveled across the Sahara Desert with a group of archeologists to uncover ancient Egyptian ruins, there is something about this house that makes him comfortable. It has electric lightening, hot and cold water, sash windows, and much more. Matthew has to play his role well for he, a mere Captain who spends his time sleeping in cots or lumpy beds, must gape at such a manor house. This wash't just an estate that he had figured it would be, but a palace in itself. At least to him it is. Her roots must have dug deeply into the ground to inherit this place.

He lets her see the warm smile on his face, forcing his eyes to light up in an equally warm way. Try as he might, he cannot stop his mouth from gaping. Whenever they enter another room, his eyes look up and around, trying desperately to let every inch of interior architecture dazzle him in excitement. His dark black boots turn on the mixture of rug, tile, and waxed floor in each room, his eyes soaking up every inch. "You have an amazing estate," he breathes when she finally comes to the gardens. For most of their walk together, he keeps rather quiet except for his offer of them to get to know one another. It might have been his idea but Matthew is a reserved man, his reputation knowing him as a smart and capable man when it comes to the toils of war. He is kind and respectful but can, and normally does, grow out of hand if kept away from women for too long. But what soldier can?

When she asks him, well, rather prompts him to speak, Matthew places the hat down on the small, circular table. His jacket is still pulled tight around the stones of his chest from the greed of war. He is not just a man who stands in front of a map and tells men where to go and where to fight. Matthew Ryder is a Captain who lifts his gun along with every other man risking their lives on the battlefield. It would be unfair, in his mind, to let other men die at his orders unless he too is risking his life.

"A Captain's job takes its toll and always asks the best of the men who follow him. Hard work comes to be conquered by patience for split second decisions only drag more dead along with them. It's a hard job, sending men to their deaths for a country that they love. That's why I don't just give the orders. I stand with my sword held high or the cool metal of the gun's trigger resting against my pointer finger. I do not have the convenience of a life as you and your fiancé do for I am a custom to sleeping on the least that the world can give me despite my title. I talk with my men and get to know every one of them. All I ask for is respect in return whether they like my tactics or not," he pauses, realizing how much he has talked thus far. "What about you? Or is there something specific you wish to know about me?"

In a way Ryder had answered her question and also didn't, but she didn't bother asking him again. Sipping on the cup of tea in her hand, Amelia kept eye contact with the man during their time together. "I don't have any questions, seeing that you've been in war for so long. But I would think you have a lady you are hoping to see. Most of the men from war usually have women waiting for their return, so I assumed that you may also have one." Amelia remembered her brother telling stories about the men he was with during his time in war.

Unaware to them, one of their carriages were pulling up to the front of the estate. It was James coming back after speaking with his father about the arrangements for his and Amelia's wedding. Their butler greeted him outside, taking his coat off, he explained that Matthew had arrived earlier and how they were outside in the garden having a light lunch. Hearing that they were alone with each other, bothered James quite a bit. He still couldn't explain why he was so cautious about Captain Ryder, but them being alone together was something that he didn't want at all. Making a line straight to the garden, he found them sitting at the table beneath the trees. "I didn't expect you to be here before myself, Captain Ryder." Standing next to Amelia, he placed his hand on her back and smiled down at her. "Welcome home. We were just talking about ourselves." She said, placing her hand on his upper arm, rubbing it lightly before pulling it back.

Captain Ryder shrugs his shoulders when she starts to talk about a girl that everyone assumes he has. The truth is that he may have a history of being quite a player in his younger days, taking any woman who offered herself at him. But now, growing out of his youth, has learned that that sort of relationship is not one that he prefers. But, being a man, he cannot tell that to a woman of her status. So, in essence, he simply nods his head, "I have yet to find her but I am sure any girl with a large enough heart will catch my eye." Of course, by heart he might mean something else but now is not the time for him to be openly discussing such rude matters. Especially with a Duchess to the Queen.

"But you must also know that a woman attaching herself to a man of war, a man whose duty is to Queen and Country is not one likely to be married. Being a soldier's wife while he is away on duty must, and will, be a difficult path. I imagine that waiting all that time for a love to come home, not even knowing if they died three months ago or have been sailing at sea for two…" That's when Captain Ryder stops talking and starts to tell her of the tale of Emma, a quiet farm girl that he had loved in his youth. But both of them knew that such a love would not last at all. Neither of them were strong enough to keep seeing one another and that's why he joined the military. That way he could have an excuse to kiss her before leaving. "But since then I have not remained loyal to her. I will never see her again and that is something I will have to accept for the rest of my life."

Luckily for him, James' footsteps are heard clacking on the cobble and Matthew straightens up at James' arrival. He has eaten about half of his small sandwich and finished the cup of tea that had been waiting there for him. Wiping his mouth on the napkin, he places it on the table and stands as the Master of the manor comes into view and rounds the prickly tree into their small cave of solitude. "It's a pleasure to see you again," Matthew rightly confirms with a nod of his head, the smile playing back on his lips. "Yes, your coach," he starts again as James comments on his early schedule, "had gotten to my apartment early and I figured that it's best to come here as soon as possible so that I may sooner become acquainted with the people of this house, you and your fiancé being on the top of my list."

Matthew seemed to be very interested in getting to know a lot about James and herself. Though there was nothing special about either of them, it was nice to know that someone wanted to know a bit about them, but she also wanted to know a lot about him as well. Taking a seat at the table with them, James looked towards Matthew and asked "So how do you like the manor? I heard that Amelia showed you around while I was gone." For some reason, when James spoke, Amelia got this feeling that was suspicious of Matthew along with a hint of jealousy in his voice. It may be true that they were to be married soon, but to herself, they were nothing but childhood friends marrying each other due to social status.

Not once had Amelia thought of James as more than a friend, yet it was obvious that he thought that all the time from the way he spoke or touched her. Maybe having her new partner there for the case would allow her to be away from him for a while. "He seemed to be in awe as we walked about, even though there was nothing really special about our home." She covered her mouth as she laughed about the look upon Matthew's face when they walked around.

"For a man who has been traveling the sea and seeing distant lands, coming back to London and here in your house, is spectacular. Even though it may not seem much to you two," he nods towards the both of them, the small smile playing on his lips as he sits back down with them, "but for me, this place is truly a palace. I am used to dirt and grime but here you two are living in complete paradise. So tell me James," he pauses, his name slipping out before he can spot it, "Are… are you okay with me calling you James?" There is a slight pause as he waits for a yes or no, "Because you are free to talk to me as Matthew. There is actually nothing I would like better than that. Some of my men have grown to calling me Captain Matthew instead of Captain Ryder."

He chuckles at his little joke, having to make it look like he is remembering the fresh new or distant memories that should be playing through his brain. But in reality, he sees the type quickly flash across his eye as if there were a computer in his brain. It's like he is reading a book and there is nothing more to it. This is not his life he is living for a time traveler can never really identify with any of the characters he is to play. It's like he is but an actor in his life, never giving himself a chance to actually feel the role but experience it as his organization wishes. There are no attachments and the Captain knows exactly why.

"But tell me about the history of your family. I forget whose family actually owns this estate between the two of you. Are you excited to be getting married and starting a family so that your children can run around the grounds? It must be spectacular to have such power in the world."

Being called James right of the bat, did throw him off a bit, but he didn't want to make the man uncomfortable about calling him that. "No it's quite alright. Seeing that you will be living with us for a while, I don't think we mind you calling us by our first names." Amelia nodded in agreement with him before watching Matthew talk about his time with his men. But the moment he asked about their marriage, Amelia got quiet all of a sudden, not wanting to speak about it. James, on the other hand, didn't mind replying to Matthew's questions.

"We're both from aristocrat households, I may be an Earl, but it is Amelia's family who have a much higher status than my own due to her father being a General of the Army. Her father, Lord Cavendish, and my father were friends in boarding school in the past. We were both raised together since birth." Stopping for a moment to take a drink of tea, his free hand moved under the table and rested upon her upper thigh, rubbing it as he looked towards her. Amelia looked back him, showing him a sweet smile so that it didn't look as if she was uncomfortable, even though she was. "The manor actually belongs to my family." He said, and continued on about the marriage. Before he could say anything, she excused herself from the table, saying that she had to go check on on a few things in the manor itself.

"Honestly, we're both nervous about the whole thing. More her than myself. I hope that very soon after the wedding that we will start having children and then Amelia wouldn't have to work so much." James was aware of her uneasiness about the whole arrangement, yet he hoped that with the wedding closing in on them with only 4 months left, that she would accept him as her husband by that time.

Amelia might be able to smile for James but Matthew reads the corners of her lips as they are pages of knowledge. She is uncomfortable, the brightness in her eyes not brightening like an oil lamp but being dimmed for she is nervous to what those touches might come to. The last thing she wants, he assumes, is to bed the man who she had trusted her whole life with being her best friend. But then again, what does a time traveler know about such actions. So when Amelia shows her smile to James, he simply stares at her, his eyes wanting to beckon a private conversation between them at some point on this issue. But for now, the Captain nods, beams, and starts to eat some of his sandwich.

"The General? Ah, what a magnificent undertaking you have Amelia. Big shoes to fill, hm?" he smiles warmly before bringing his tea cup to his lips and taking a sip of the black tea to let it slip down and warm his stomach properly. But before she can answer his question, Amelia has gotten up and excused herself. "A busy girl you have acquired, James." he comments, simply stating facts as he watches Amelia slip out of his sight behind the cavern of trees and bushes that surround them. He turns his attention back to the man of the household, listening intently on what he has to say about their marriage.

"I am sure that adding children to the mixture, James, wouldn't ease her pain but strengthen it. I am sure that you wish for an heir as soon as possible so that you know your title will be set in gold. But… children are a whole world of work. I have seen women in the town who have ten or fifteen little ones and do you know what I have not seen on their faces?" he pauses rhetorically, "A smile. Now," he taps his fingers against the table, "Do not think that I am telling you what to do because that is not my intentions nor my place. Forgive me." he bows his head gently, "I am a guest in your household and should not let my tongue get the better of me."

All of a sudden, he finds himself full or perhaps it's a loss of appetite. The garden seems quite dull without a woman's presence for he finds it odd for two men to be sitting out here alone. "I am sure that she will accept you. You can never tell with women though. I have made love to a woman many times and have been able to convince those who were doubting themselves as well. It's an art. A charm that not many men have. But you," he signals at James with his free hand, "Have everything that Amelia could want. Would you, and tell me if I am speaking out of bounds on this issue, but would you like me to speak with her as a middle man. Perhaps then I can tell you what she feels uncomfortable about for there are things that stick in a woman's throat when she is around the one she loves. Now me," his hand presses to his rock hard chest, "I am bit a simple Captain who, I assure you, will be out of your hair once this mission is complete."

Amelia was relieved to get away from the situation, knowing that if she had stayed any longer, James would have probably figured out that she didn't like the idea of talking about children or marriage. Telling the butler she'd be in the office, she made her way over and confide herself in the room, study over the investigation pictures as well as eye witness accounts.

James listened to Matthew's suggest, sitting on it for a few seconds, he then agreed to let the other speak to her in hopes to understand what she is feeling lately. "Please tell me immediately after speaking with her if there is anything seriously wrong." This was the only thing that he wanted to hear as soon as possible if he is around. James has been worried about Amelia ever since she received her new job after their engagement, when he had hoped that they would spend more time together to get ready for their wedding, which ended up being moved to a farther date. Just as they were about to get up from the table, the butler came out to let Matthew know that if he was looking for Miss Cavendish, she would be in her office. Excusing himself from the table, James made his way up to his own office to see what events they had coming up soon.

In paper and book engulfed office sat Amelia reading over the testimonies given to her by witnesses who had seen a strange man in the vicinity asking about local prostitutes. Of course this didn't surprise her much, seeing that there were many men looking for company during the night, but the description of the man was vague. All any of them could describe was his clothing, not the color of his hair or even an eye color. Who was this man and what was his motive.

"I will let you know as soon as possible, it is true," Matthew agrees, knowing that it's the least he could do when taking a room in their home, eating the food from their table, and relaxing on their greens. James then excuses himself after the butler gives him the location of his fiancé. Matthew too stands, grabbing his hat from the table and then placing it between his fingers as he bows to James. "It will take some time," he warns, "I will have to befriend your dear fiancé before I can even utter a word but do not fear, James, I will receive your answers somehow. I am sure that the more we work on this mission together, the greater chances of becoming friends, and I use the term lightly, friends, we will have." Matthew knows that a man of his rank, his social status, should shy away from such luxury.

But when Matthew reaches the study of Amelia's, he does not bring the topic up at all. He simply knocks and waits for a proper answer before inviting himself in. There are questions asked, his mind ready to be absorbing all the information she is willing to give him. Sooner or later, after a through run through of the papers and the words upon them, Matthew starts asking his own questions. They are all quite logical for a man of war for it seems he understands the workings of people as much as he does the tactics of warfare. Throughout their time together, he keeps a gentle distance away as to not scare the woman. He keeps an eye out for when she reaches for the paper, his own fingers curling at his side as a precaution that theirs won't touch.

The days move onwards as the preparations for their departure draw closer and closer to date. Matthew has made a friend with one of the maids, a lovely woman by the name of Bethany who he treats with due respect despite her status and background. He carries a weight upon his shoulder that makes him quite different from the other men of the time period. It takes skill to look upon the people of the world and see them all as equals. Especially in this era. Anyone who wasn't a land owning, white, male, simply could not make it in this world. They could never sit where James sits. But at least England has their Queen, someone who Matthew speaks little about but is known for his ties with. He has also caught the attention of one of the gardeners, a gentle and quiet man who Matthew is often talking to when he takes his walks around the ground. Every so often he even helps the man carry tools or dig.

Many of the servants look at him with quizzical eyes, unsure of why a Captain would dare get his hands dirty as a simple gardener does. But as Matthew stays, he starts to assist more and more of the servants as if he were one of them. And all the time, he is certain to keep his eyes and hands off of Amelia. But that doesn't mean he can't stare. Matthew, in only a course of a few days, has found an interest in Lady Canvindish. Luckily for him, their missions together will serve as a foundation for him having some of those questions resolved.

Over the next few days, Amelia had explained to Matthew the details of the crimes and what information they had about their suspect. During the time, Amelia noticed how he interacted with the staff of the manor, which intrigued her about him. Though Amelia helped out the staff herself, whenever she had the time to cook dinner, clean up around the manor or anything that needed to be done, it was obvious on the faces of her staff that they were confused on why a guest was going such things. Watching him from the window of her bedroom, she couldn't help a laugh that escaped her lips causing James to look her from where he sat on the bed. "What's so funny?" He asked curious. Shaking her head, she replied. "Nothing it's just that I find that Matthew seems to astound the servants each and every day."

At 3 o'clock in the afternoon, the grandfather clocks all around the manor began to go off, catching her attention. It was time for them to get to work, so she finished packing her bag and hugged James good bye for the next couple of days, since she and Matthew would be staying at a hotel during the time of investigation. Nicholas, the butler, took her bag down to the carriage as well as Matthew's while she went out to the garden to tell him that it was time to go. Stepping out into the garden from the entryway, she cleared her throat behind the two gentlemen and spoke. "Matthew, the carriage is ready for us to go." As she said this, she placed her hand on his back, accidentally skimming his neck with the tips of her fingers as she was going to his back.

Status
Not open for further replies.