The Magicians {private plot discussion}

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's mostly just a form of entertainment, though as she gets better at it :D she'll be able to write her own stories and bring them to life as well.

I forgot to add in her familiar, sorry sorry, and I edited my sheet ^^

She plans to earn some extra money by having Kit deliver stuff around Pensgate.

Nice! And considering her socially awkward personality, I like that Eliza's talent allows her to relate to and interact with people, in her own way, of course. And her delivery service sounds cute - I'm sure the novelty of having a fox deliver letters and packages will be a hit with the people of Pensgate. (Declan will be no doubt infuriated with Eliza's presence). :)

I've also tweaked my character bio, but no major changes. If there's something in there that either of you find amiss or a little off, please let me know! I'll try to clarify or edit so as to create the best version of this character that I can.

[BCOLOR=#99cc00]UPDATES:[/BCOLOR]
- Character sheet links have been added in the character list for easy access to our bios
- The list of locations have been updated to include the cities and towns mentioned in the bios (if you guys have more ideas for locations in Pensgate, please share them! It's not a cookie cutter city so there's lots of room for all sorts of neighborhoods, establishments and characters - from saintly to seedy, grand to ordinary, dazzling to decrepit).

AAAAH! SORRY! Character should have been up yesterday, but I had too many problems! My sucky internet and lack of access to Wi-Fi anywhere nearby! I should finish by today, or at least get the main thing finished. I will be going back over it and making changes and elaborating as much as I can. I have a plan! That hopefully won't blow up in my face... -u-'

Love both of your characters, btw. Eliza sounds so much like me irl. And that's one of my favorite female names. ^-^

Genesis, no worries! I hope our messages didn't overwhelm you! Glad to have you back, though. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished character!

Whoo! Finished! Anything need to be added/changed/taken away?

Finished watching Howl's Moving Castle. Poor Calcifer.

D'aww, I'm glad you like her ^^! I love both of your characters as well~

Ahhh, another storyteller. There's definitely going to be a lot of competition. Eliza is going to be annoyed as well.

Update noted ^^!

Just a heads up but I'm not going to be around tomorrow. I'm taking one last exam then after that I'll be packing my stuff for the trip home. I'll be around on Saturday, but on Sunday and Monday I'll be at a mountain resort with the fam. I'm not sure if there'll be any wifi v.v but I should be more available after all those are done~

Have some oreos, you lovely people ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Two storytellers! This should be interesting. Since your guys' characters have near identical specialties, I'd like you both to work out how your witches' styles differ and what your witch does that no one else can. Who is her desired clientele? Without a reputation in Pensgate, how and where will she solicit her services? Right now her one skill does not earn her a livable wage. What other services might she be providing? (Fox, I know you have this covered. Genesis, it sounds like the nature of Rena's magic has darker potential - I wonder how else she might use her talent). -- Just some things to think about!

For example, here's how Declan gets on:

Declan didn't choose his talent. The last R.M. with whom he apprenticed was a great aesthetician. His specialty was living art - sculptures that move, portraits that talk, music that affects mood and emotion. Declan began honing his skills with this magician, a man called Clu (or Wizard Gillborough), but soon discovered the business's less noble, more lucrative side. Though not entirely illegal (there's a lot of gray area surrounding cosmetic magic), using spellwork to physically or physiologically alter a person does not fall within the bounds of polite conversation. But even Wizard Gillborough could not ignore these requests, and performed such magic "under the table," as it were. Declan had no intention of following his teacher's footsteps, but Pensgate (even in the poorer Artist District) was expensive. And as few people were willing to hire an inexperienced wizard to handle their architectural affairs, Declan relented. He currently performs cosmetic magic (a very hush hush but widely whispered-about trade) for triple what he'd make otherwise. Declan also brews potions (general remedies and boosters) which is an acceptable wizard's trade, but even then he receives the odd request to craft a love potion (see the campaign below) or "strong sleeping potions" (shady and potentially dangerous).

2996c4dcb927bb8f093ca737ff76f930.jpg

So, you see, obstacles abound! Things don't always go according to plan. And that's what makes the journey interesting. :)

Below are some questions to help sort out starting dynamics (if any exist). Please ask whatever questions you have about my character if you need to!

Declan -- Rena​
  • Has Rena made her presence publicly known? Has she revealed that she's a witch?​
  • If so, what did she do to get herself noticed? Do her clients overlap with Declan's? And what are people saying about her?​
  • (Many know of Declan's services - one hears whispers from ladies in tea rooms or men in parlors, which have been catalysts for rumors about his physique, romantic status, character and personal habits).​
  • Declan's neighborhood is east of the castle - the Royal School of Magic - at the center of the city. Where does Rena live in relation to the castle? Is it likely she and Declan have crossed paths?​
Declan -- Eliza
  • Though she's only been in the city one day, has she also made herself known as a witch?
  • Is word spreading about her talent or is her skill still a mystery?
  • Where is Eliza currently staying? An inn? Renting a room from a resident? Working in someone's townhouse? Is she - heaven forbid - on the streets? O_O

Phew! Hope your eyes haven't glazed over. Thank you, Fox, for the lovely video. Ah, the power of Oreos. And thank you also for letting us know you'll be away. Good luck on your final exam and have fun on your mini-vacation!

And Genesis, Rena looks good to me! Just think about the questions I asked at the top of this post. Also, don't be sad, Calcifer got his happy ending, too!

Lastly, don't hesitate with any questions, comments, suggestions (or more wonderful gifs). :D

Reactions: Fox of Spades
I... Seem to be missing an edit to my character... I remembered that Fox had story telling and changed mine to something else. I can't remember what, though.

Ill get around to the questions sometime later. Also, I am going on a trip this evening at 4:00 C.E.T. and won't return until Sunday.

Happy Saturday, guys! It's good to be home~

Eliza hasn't established a reputation as a witch yet, at the moment nobody is aware of it and she doesn't know Declan and Rena are in the city either. Her skill is still a mystery, and at the moment she's renting a room on top of an antique store and working as the owner's assistant. She plants to settle down a little before making her magic known. Though, outside the antique store there is now a poster that says we accept deliveries :D!

Kit is pretty excited to get started.

Does that sound okay?

Fox, that sounds great! Where in the city is the shop located?

Hmm, I'm thinking it'd be somewhere near the town square, but people would need to go down narrow streets to get there :D

If you create a location name, I'll add it to our list of locations in my first post. Please also specify if it's close to or far from any other locations in Pensgate so we can get a more comprehensive view of the city. Thanks!

Hmm, how does Starburst street sound :D? It'd be a few streets away from the town square and the first thing people would be able to see would be a lantern shop. The antique shop would be between the lantern shop and an arts and crafts store. Starburst street is where people go to get their art materials and knick knacks. Across the street would be home decor, stuff like wallpaper and paint.

How are you guys doing :D?

Would it be safe to say this is in the Artist District? I'm not trying to be cheeky. It's just that my character lives in the Artist District so if that's also where Eliza lives, then that's increases the chances of them bumping into each other. I do love the descriptions of the street you gave!

Yup, and that'd be pretty neat ^^ it'd make getting them to interact with each other somewhat easier.

My weekend was so cold. I was in Bastogne and it snowed during the whole hike I was on. started around 9 in the morning and left about 8 in the evening. So cold...

Could either of you give me ideas on what to do as a job? I can't remember what I had or think of anything good.

A winter hike sounds lovely! But, as you say, very, very cold. I hope you've warmed up!

Genesis, do you mean you're stuck on an idea for how Rina can earn extra money or are you trying to figure out what her main specialty is? If the former, that can be anything (shop girl, secretary, maid, assistant, tutor, maker of talismans, dream catchers and other goods, etc.). If that latter, then that depends on whether you intend to keep your character's current magical specialties. Forgive me if I misunderstood, but it sounds like you want something for Rina to do other than literally bringing stories to life, like Eliza. I'm still a little fuzzy on what illusory magic/shadow magic actually is (I was excited to see how you applied it in the RP), so I'm afraid it's difficult to imagine what one might actually do with those talents.

I don't want you to settle for something that doesn't interest you, but consider if perhaps the reason nothing's inspired you is because your character's type of magic is a little too vague in its application. It's funny. Of all the different types of magic that exist, you and Fox both gravitated toward the same one. Is there a trend going on of which I am unaware?

I'm sorry I wasn't a terrible help. What do you really want for your character? An independent career? To be involved in something bigger than herself? To just get along and survive? I might be able to suggest some ideas if I knew better what your aim is and what your character's motivations are.

A hike definitely sounds fun ^w^ the snow must have looked beautiful. Dangggg, I wish we had more than two seasons on my side of the globe.

Welcome back, Genesis :D! I hoped you enjoyed your hike despite the weather. Also, if you're having trouble, I wouldn't mind them having a similar storytelling ability. I think it could make for an interesting rivalry, though if you'd rather take a different route then illusory magic could work well at a circus? (I'm sorry, my ideas aren't very good xD) Or with shadow magic she could do puppet shows, and she could spice up her performance with illusions?

Ignore my ramblings xD

And as far as I know, there isn't any trend going on at the moment. Haha, or is there?

How are you two doing on this fine day :D? Have some ice cream pictures!

tumblr_mn1h3l2HAe1s8mtgoo1_500.jpg

large.jpg

21716-Cute-Ice-Cream-Sandwhiches.jpg

chocolate-cute-food-ice-cream-inspiration-inspo-love-lovely-mine-romantic-yours-yum-yummi-Favim.com-793706.jpg

cool-cute-funny-icecream-Favim.com-996675.jpg

tumblr_m8apo08rsl1r4i14no1_500_large.jpg

Reactions: Mika
It is finished! I think. I still need to answer the questions, though. And it's Isles of Astaroth. Not Astaron.

Status
Not open for further replies.