The Magicians {private plot discussion}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understood :)! I think I'll have my witch prefer charms or the written word when it comes to spells. Thank you for the explanation and those gifs were both lovely and fitting <3!

Oh, will we be starting after the witches/wizards have established their shops or before that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Fox. I look forward to meeting your character. (And while I did use the feminine pronoun in my explanations, you are by no means required to play a female character. However, feel free to do so if that's your preference!)

When our young magicians arrive in Leviton (changed city name to reflect something more English-inspired and whimsical), Perhaps one is already established, another is looking for an apartment/shop and the third has just arrived. Maybe they all arrive (coincidentally) on the same day or during the same month and compete for the same shop space. Which sort of opening scenario appeals to you guys the most? (It doesn't have to be one I listed).

I like the openings you've suggested and am perfectly fine with either ^^

I think I'll be going for a witch. What sort of information would you like to see on the character sheet, Mika?

Let's see what @G3n3s1sR3b0rn has to say about how the magicians start out, and then we'll go from there!

As for the character sheet, how about this?

- Name -
- Gender -
- Age (20-23) -

. Magical Skill (the one that you can charge for services) .
. Magic you can perform competently .
. Magic you shouldn't attempt .

| Appearance (Illustrations fine but please no anime - to me all those pictures look the same) |
| Personality (keep it brief) |
| Hometown (fictitious - make it up!) |
| When you arrived in Leviton |

* Other pertinent facts (Fox, your familiar goes here. Relevant information about family or background, connections, quirks, anything that affects who your character is goes here, too. Optional field. *
Sound okay?

AAAAAHHHH! SO MANY NOTIFICATIONS! TOO MANY POSTS EVERYWHEEEEEEEEERE!

I think the first opening sounds good. I will, hopefully have a CS up before or around noon CET. My character shall be female! Also, the explanations of magic helped greatly. My thanks to you both.

You both seem quite amazing, so I'm also looking forward to this.

8D SUFFER, MEHEHEH

The sheet looks good ^^! I have a couple of exams tomorrow, so it should be up by Thursday-ish (Hopefully). I have another exam on Friday, so if not on Thursday, then you'll have my witch on Saturday at latest :D

I'm really looking forward to the world building aspect of the RP as well. Have a grand week you guys <3

- Name -
Rena Corvil
- Gender -
Female
- Age -

. Rena uses her magic to do puppet shows for children to earn tips. .
. Rena specializes in what many people consider "Dark" magic. She is best with Illusion and Shadow magic. .
. Rena sucks at Healing magic. If she attempted to heal using magic, the wound would just get worse, seeing as how she uses "Dark" magic. .

|
7df0001243a9c86f27c91789ad5211aa.jpg
|
| Rena can be a real pain, sometimes. She has a fascination with dragons and wouldn't pass up a chance to see one. She's often sarcastic and can be quite the flirt. She has been told multiple times that she should "sell her body" to make money. She has refused and instead works as a bar maid in The Fallen Lion, located in Florent's Gallery. This is where she lives. |
| Isles of Asteroth |
| Rena arrived in Pensgate 1 month and 9 days ago |

* Rena uses a staff to channel her magic, as well as silver chalk. The staff is for spoken incantations and similiar types of magic, while the chalk is for charms and symbols. Due to growing up in the Isles, she sometimes switches to her native language of Grichen. (pronounced Gry-ken) *​

What does it mean by "Magic you shouldn't attempt"?

And what sort of thing would go in "When you arrived in Leviton? A date? (I.e. 6th Nov) Or how long ago? (I.e. 6 months)

I've almost finished watching Howl's Moving Castle. Having to watch it in pieces. I love when Sophie sees the girl on the flying machine and says, "That could be him" when she's going to see the witch at the castle.

Reactions: Mika
@Fox of Spades, thanks again for helping to clarify my words. Yes, when I say "magic you shouldn't attempt," I mean "magic you are so bad at that disastrous results will very probably occur should you attempt it."

@G3n3s1sR3b0rn, I love that part of the movie, too! Sophie is a little odd as far as heroines go, but I like her Old Sophie snark. Also, "when you arrived" can be written as "2 months ago / 1 year ago / 5 minutes ago / etc." I'm not certain of the exact date, as this is an alternate fantasy universe, but modern (i.e. Post-industrial) technology is there. Howl's Moving Castle is somewhat Edwardian in feel, which I adore. Would you guys mind if our world had a similar aesthetic?

The first option it is! If neither of you are opposed, why don't we say our magicians arrive in the order we joined the RP? My wizard would be settled though still a recent arrival, Genesis' witch will have arrived not long ago, and Fox's witch will have just arrived when the story begins. Or would you two prefer different arrival times?

I'm still mulling over character options myself, but I do know I want a wizard. Thursday is probably when I'll have my completed character sheet up, too. Good luck with the exams, Fox! And Genesis, I look forward to reading more about Rena! :)

Hey guys!

I'll be updating the first thread post as we add information to the story and world, so be sure to check out what's been added/changed when I shoot you all an UPDATE. (This is a super mini update. I'll go ahead and say now I've also changed the name of the city again. I know, I know. But the "L" names I was working with just weren't capturing the right image of the city I envisioned).

Also, since you are both leaning toward magic that deals with written spells, why don't we use that as our base magic? Perhaps most spells require some sort of written or drawn element (the pen is mightier than the sword?). What your magician does to supplement this type of magic can then be considered her specialty. At least this way our characters are working on a similar scale of magic. What do you guys think?

• Thank You
Reactions: Fox of Spades
Thanks for the luck! Haha, I'm going to need it. @-@ Exam is in two hours, but I'm taking a quick break.

Update noted :D! Pensgate is a lovely name for the place~

I don't mind arriving last ^^ and Edwardian? So the place will have a steampunk feel to it, but since we're including post-industrial technology it'll also have cars like in Kiki's delivery service and other similar tech?

And having the written word as our base magic sounds good. I am fine with everything and love how things are turning out <3

Reactions: Mika
When you're finished with exam #1, I have a gif for you! :)

Also, the feel of the city is highly reminiscent of Kingsbury in Howl's Moving Castle. While I wouldn't exactly classify Pensgate as a steampunk city, there are certainly steam-powered machines and tools, electricity and amenities like telephones and radios (we might even say certain technology like electricity and telephone are brand new, just as they were in the early 1900s. TVs are not present, but automobiles are. Fashion, cultural interests, norms and speech are inspired by the Edwardian period (have you guys seen Dowton Abbey?) But as this is our own world, please feel free to embellish or tweak where you'd like. As always, I welcome your guys' contributions!

Happy character brainstorming!

*Tumbles through the door*

^^ I am alive and I shall have my character up tomorrow.

I haven't seen Downton Abbey, but a few friends are good fans so I think I understand. It's got a Pride and Prejudice or Jane Austen feel to it, right? Thanks for the explanation :)

:o and a gif? Hit me with your best shot~

tumblr_lzu84kr7pB1r7qdvlo1_500.gif

Glad you survived your exam!

cd5aaeab5eed34bc414d123e40df4e46.jpg

All hail your resilience!

Edwardian is more closely related to Victorian than Jane Austen's Regency, but in many respects it's probably safe to say that yes, there is a Pride and Prejudice feel to the Edwardian era. :)

Let's not get caught up in gender inequalities though. In our world a witch can be just as or more respected and endeared to the public as a wizard. Perhaps what sets magicians apart culturally is their level of experience and how they acquired it (for example [and generally speaking], attending the Royal Conservatory of Magic earns higher credentials than home study or work placement). Though I've specified that all our characters have just finished their apprenticeships, I'm sure each's experience was vastly different.

I'll be working on my character this evening! It'll definitely be up tomorrow!

Look what I found *w* and thanks, Mika.

gYm9I76.png

Thanks again for the explanation and my character should be up in an hour or two.

Edit: And done :)! If I need to edit anything, I shall do so ASAP.​

cDFjFAQ.png

Name: Eliza Fern

Eliza calls herself a book enchanter, and for a price, she can bring your beloved fairy tales, passion-filled romance novels, and cookbooks to life. She enchants a page through drawing symbols that serve as her magic's focus point, once the words on a page are read allowed, the magic stored within the symbol brings the images on the page to life.

The images do not become flesh and blood and they don't really come to life either, but the words on the page do leap into the air to form inky renditions of the current scene.

. Magic you can perform competently .
Aside from enchanting books, Eliza also makes charms. She isn't an expert, but there's a 68% chance that the charm won't blow up in your face. The charms aren't anything dazzling, just cooking spells or charms that make plants grow faster.

. Magic you shouldn't attempt .
+
Flight - The first time she tried flying on a broom she broke her arm. The second time, she fell in a lake and almost drowned. Unless you want mass destruction, you do not put Eliza Fern on a broom. It doesn't help that heights make her feel sick.

| Personality (keep it brief) |
Eliza prefers the company of books over the company of people. She isn't the most outgoing person in the world and has problems recognizing social cues. She's not the best at conversations, but when spoken to she does try her best. She's somewhat prideful and sarcastic, often shooting retorts at those who get on her nerves, the woman doesn't go out of her way to mean, but she does have a temper of sorts and when people insult her work she can get quite defensive.

On the bright side, Eliza is a hard worker and she does go out of her way to help people when she can. If a person gains her friendship, she'll be there for them through thick and thin and will raise hell if anyone messes with them. She's has a soft spot for books and animals.

| Hometown|

Eliza came from a large city called Falone. It is known for its constant festivities.

| When you arrived in Leviton |

Two days ago

| Other Facts |

Eliza lives with her animal companion

oecqnBq.jpg

Kit is currently five years old. Eliza is capable of communicating with Kit and aside from enchanting books she plans to start some sort of delivery service with the fox.

Name: Declan Mortimer
Magical Skill: Cosmetic Alteration (something like a magical plastic surgeon - he does this by permanently or temporarily inscribing symbols into or upon a person's skin, like a tattoo. Declan crafts the ink and writing instruments for this purpose specifically)
Magical strengths: General object alteration (his passion lies in architecture); Potions
Magical weaknesses: Elemental magic; Manipulation of intangible things (time, emotion, light, etc.)

Appearance: *Sorry folks, I'm awful at filling in the appearance part of a CS. I like to reveal details as I go. But on first glance your characters may see these aspects of Declan:
  • Shaggy curls (brown)
  • Round glasses
  • Large-ish nose
  • Thick eyebrows
  • Tall but not towering
  • Lean physique
  • If observant, a glimpse of the tattoo on his inner left forearm (an imperfect line of crude symbols)
  • Simple yet properly fitting (and clean) attire
Personality: Declan is reserved, and prefers to observe rather than participate. He is creative and curious, always looking for inspiration, sketchpad on hand. When inspiration hits, he sometimes works with obsessive vigor. Though enigmatic, he is not shy. Honest to a fault and keenly perceptive, Declan will candidly share his thoughts, sans sugar, should anyone ask.

Aspiration/Motivation: To become Pensgate's Resident Magician and Architectural Adviser. Currently, he is a working magician so has no title, but his reputation is growing (though not exactly among the right sort of people). Creating a building from scratch and leaving his signature on one of the greatest cities in the world, is his ultimate goal, but he is currently pigeon-holed as a wizard whose specialty is not suitable for proper conversation.

Hometown: Kittland Green (a rural town in the center of the country)
Arrived in Pensgate: 1 year ago - Declan's home studio is located in the Artist District (also an area of looser morals and convention).

Miscellaneous:
  • Received public education in Kittland Proper and graduated at age 17. He then assisted and apprenticed with various Resident Magicians until relocating to Pensgate at age 21*
  • Frequently sneaks into lectures at the Royal College of Pensgate to further his education (which he cannot afford)
  • Though he does his job well, Declan hates what he does
  • Declan's only living relative is his eccentric great aunt who lives across the country. She randomly stops by every now and then to pester him about his love life (or lack thereof)
* For those fortunate enough to afford the "best" education, aspiring magicians attend local schools until 16, and go on to a royal college (a private school, also recognized as the most prestigious form of training) until the age of 20. One year of apprenticeship is the norm once schooling is over, after which the wizard or witch begins his or her own career.

Characters are lookin' good, guys!

Fox of Spades said:
Eliza calls herself a book enchanter, and for a price, she can bring your beloved fairy tales, passion-filled romance novels, and cookbooks to life. She enchants a page through drawing symbols that serve as her magic's focus point, once the words on a page are read allowed, the magic stored within the symbol brings the images on the page to life.
This is wonderfully imaginative. I adore it. My only question is how does Eliza plan on making a living with this skill? Is she selling a form of entertainment? Is there another value to this skill? As Pensgate is bursting with wealth, I imagine entertainment would sell very well. I am curious, though, if there's more to this skill than I've picked up on.

@G3n3s1sR3b0rn, once your CS is done, I think we can begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.