Status
Not open for further replies.
@Grumpy Thank ye most kindly. I'm gonna have a go at writing this and hopefully it doesn't turn into a trope riddled monster. XD

@Grumpy Thank ye most kindly. I'm gonna have a go at writing this and hopefully it doesn't turn into a trope riddled monster. XD

Are you also making a doctor? Or were you just curious?

Nah, I'm making a Frumentarii. She's gonna be pretty swell.

So, we'll have a Frumentarii and a Rudiarii so far.

This will be badass.

So, Grumpy, I think I finished my CS...

I am considering changing her group to Exhumii, because it would make sense for a doctor, but I don't know.

I'm gonna be an Exhumii.

What is the average tech level for the setting? Are we modern era? Or are we more futuristic considering we have a transhumanist faction?

I'm gonna be an Exhumii.

What is the average tech level for the setting? Are we modern era? Or are we more futuristic considering we have a transhumanist faction?
Modern, but it's Transhumanist due to the magic present...

I think..

@Grumpy can you clarify this better?

Yeah, it's a modern setting.

Exhumii are transhumanists in the conceptual sense of the word rather than the "we robots now" way you'll see it used in some settings. They aim to evolve beyond normal humanity.

This is a bit of a bizarre character (and I am still very new) so please let me know where I need to fix flaws. I understand I'm probably trying to do too much here so let me know where I can edit/fix/clarify or if the profile as a whole can't work. Thank you. :)

"I don't really believe God did wrong- people are happier when they don't know what they've lost."
-Hayden Raverat

NAME:
Hayden Raverat

Although technically agender, Hayden finds he/his/him pronouns acceptable for sake of ease.

FACTION:
Exhumii

APPEARANCE:
daLiqXs.png

Photo by Mirko Stödter

Hayden has a scruff of curly brown bed-hair and an equally rough chinstrap of facial hair. His eyes are a plain brown and he has a habit of having a gaze that looks through rather than at people. He looks to be a young adult of average height and build. He is often found dressing in fairly innocuous manners, although he is sometimes prone to wearing garments that would only fit in at an upscale coffee shop. He tends to carry himself lightly and his movements can often be described as giving the impression of a kind of weightlessness.

PERSONALITY:
Hayden's primary personality point, from which all other personality points flow is that he is simply not all there. Hayden feels an intense and oftentimes painful distance from the world around him and this shapes his ability to interact with others. In his mind, he exists completely alone in a place infinitely far from the world around him.

This distance is rarely shared by others, and so often what he considers to be a withered friendship is thought of as a healthy, strong bond by people he shares companionship with. It also causes him to react in a rather subdued manner to most surprises and interactions; it is quite hard to actually frighten or shock him in any way. There could be a joke that he could lose an arm in battle and wonder why his shoulder suddenly feels lighter.

Hayden is otherwise a fairly compassionate individual. His whole life has been a long journey to escape his own loneliness and close the gap with others and so he will go the extra distance for people he does develop relationships with. He listens to others and actively attempts to understand the values and opinions of people outside himself- everything from brilliant observations to incoherent ranting. As a result of both his dissociative behavior and his attempts to ameliorate, he generally interacts well with most Awakened regardless of faction.

Because of his distance, Hayden tends towards going off on his own and struggles to communicate with others. He often simply doesn't notice the difference between being alone and being with others and so can sometimes forget that sometimes wandering off on one's own is a terrible idea. He also forgets to ask for feedback on his own ideas or verify his conclusions. He struggles to express himself emotionally and can be seen as an unempathetic person for it. Furthermore, he doesn't have a solid or a stable moral system; he often doesn't even see what's wrong with the idea of the Machine- surely the blind bliss of being "asleep" is preferable to the existential horror of being Awakened? This lack of solid moral foundation can often have him doing questionable things and it is sometimes a wonder what "side" he's on.

TALENT:
Illusions

PURVIEW:
Surreality

PURVIEW ABILITIES:

Note: Abusing or overusing abilities causes Hayden to become exhausted, headachy, nauseous and feverish. Symptoms can range from severe hangover to unconsciousness and can last anywhere from a few minutes to a few days. If he strains himself he could probably put himself in a coma for a while.

Hallucination: Hayden can cause sensory distortions in others, currently limited to minor auditory and optical distortions. For example, he is capable of causing "whisper" hallucinations which may allow him to communicate without actually speaking himself. As he ramps up he will be able to cause phantom sensations and elaborate perceptual distortions.

Masquerade: Hayden is capable of disguising the true appearance of things. He can make himself and other objects invisible or drastically change the appearance of objects. He is also able to change or muffle the sound produced by objects. Currently, he is only able to hide the visual appearance and sound of a single object (or himself). As he becomes more experienced, Hayden will be able to completely replace the texture, smell, and even the flavor of an object or multiple objects.

Warping: Hayden is able to make permanent "edits" to the world around him. This is just a baby-ability at this point and currently he is largely unable to do anything more drastic than changing the fur color of a mouse. He is, for now,unable to change the sound, texture, smell, shape, size, or flavor of an object or himself. He is currently only able to cause minor changes in visual appearance and state, such as unlocking a simple padlock.

BACKGROUND:
Hayden was raised in the high life. The child of an actor and a wealthy investor, he was fed meals for personal chefs, educated in private school, and was given everything he ever asked for. He quickly proved himself to be a smart, witty child with a bright future in anything he wanted. Hayden pursued acting and eventually became fascinated with sleights of hand and special effects. He became a celebrity in his own right; Hayden Raverat became well known for "magic", performing his mind-boggling tricks in ever-more-extravagant ways between jobs at major movies.

His biggest, most massive trick was an elaborate faking of his own death on live television in front of a crowd of thousands of people. There were explosions. Fire. And Hayden walked out of the wreckage of an exploded car, seemingly unharmed. No CGI. Not even experts knew how he did it. This vaulted him to the history books as the greatest magician of all time.

It became inevitable that the king of liars and tricks would be able to sniff them out. As he continued rubbing high society, he became increasingly aware of the lies he could detect in the politicians. Many of them seemed to have "acting" giveaways in basic human functions. Major policy-makers, from high judges and regulatory officials, had these giveaways too- he could see it on the media and everywhere else. What's more, as he brushed increasingly with the media, he became distinctly aware that they were all... mouthpieces for something greater. On his own, he began to investigate.

He found, somewhere in the deep web, the whispers of a conspiracy. People who were seeking others like them, talking about awakening from a Lie. He had come across a Frumentarii splinter- and they were planning an attack in Hayden's very city. Ever-curious, Hayden went exactly to the location of the attack when it was scheduled to occur, and Awakening was thrust upon him.

Once he had recovered with his life intact, Hayden couldn't go back. He hid, and mourned, and grieved. And then he went investigating again. He learned of worlds beyond this cage and, more interestingly, he learned of a rumor called She Who Waits Below, which he has become fascinated with. Having felt like an outsider himself, and well-versed in lies and deception, this world impressed him as an onion of secrets and "outsides"- outside the Lie to Elysium, and outside that to the Metropolis and Limbo, and beyond that to Inferno... And in none of them did he feel he belonged still.

So on he searches, aligning himself to the only group that would fund his explorations, in return for his useful abilities into ever greater unknowns and peeling back ever more layers of existence.

AWAKENING:
It can't be sure the exact moment in which Hayden truly awoke. He existed on the cusp for so long that it was inevitable something would eventually tip him over. He was perhaps already able to see the cracks for some time, though he didn't know it until the moment he arrived at the Frumentarii raid.

Hayden became truly awoken during the raid- he saw seemingly ordinary citizens in war between each other, not with guns or knives like a typical gang fight but with fire and ice- straight out of storybook. He saw people become monstrosities, insults to the very concept of them ever having been human. He saw it all, and they, in return, saw him. Police arrived on the scene, appearing as if having been just around the corner this whole time. They tried to snatch him, and spoke amongst themselves about knowing or seeing too much.

So he ran. And as he ran, he thought- the clockwork in his mind struck a horrible realization that he could never unthink and all hope of returning to his lush life of ignorance had been dashed. He fled to the Metropolis by accident, finding himself suddenly in a land of unspeakable horrors. Through nothing but his newfound tricks and his wits in deceit was he able to scrabble his way to freedom.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, @Grumpy I had another question:

You say that this began in the Modern Age. What's the closest scientific milestone?

you said our characters are as recently Awakened as the past 20 years, so has the Awakening been going on since The Dawn of The Internet? The Moon Landing? Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Not that it's important, I'm just fascinated on when people began to awaken.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
@The Silver Paladin @Soulless

Characters both look good. I'll get them added to the Cast List shortly.

So, @Grumpy I had another question:

You say that this began in the Modern Age. What's the closest scientific milestone?

you said our characters are as recently Awakened as the past 20 years, so has the Awakening been going on since The Dawn of The Internet? The Moon Landing? Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Not that it's important, I'm just fascinated on when people began to awaken.

No-one precisely knows when humans began to Awaken to the true nature of the Machine. Records from before a century or so ago (when the Awakened began to get more organised) are essentially non-existent, and the Awakened don't exactly have the best life expectancy (the size of the 'Threats' list should hopefully explain why). But the Machine began to falter with the spread of rational thinking, science and atheistic/humanist ideas. So it could have been going on for a while.

As for scientific milestones and the like, I'm happy for this whole thing to be taking place concurrently with our own time. Though the idea is to give it that weirdly timeless feeling that The Matrix (the first movie, that is) managed to capture so well.

No-one precisely knows when humans began to Awaken to the true nature of the Machine. Records from before a century or so ago (when the Awakened began to get more organised) are essentially non-existent, and the Awakened don't exactly have the best life expectancy (the size of the 'Threats' list should hopefully explain why). But the Machine began to falter with the spread of rational thinking, science and atheistic/humanist ideas. So it could have been going on for a while.

Alright, cool.

I'm super hyped for this.

I am still incredibly hyped for this to start, if you can't tell.

Way more hyped than I should probably be, but, eh.

I'm workin' on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.