The Lover's Eclipse (Greco-Roman Historical Fantasy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MagusOfTheScales

Original poster
I'm thinking about starting up a roleplay centering around Greco-Roman themes and borrowing the gods and deities of the two cultures to make up the story. The story will start out more historical in nature and quickly begin delving into a supernatural world of fantasy in which the characters go on quests for the gods and seek mythical creatures in order to fill their innermost desire. I plan to allow both large group and small group roleplay in it, and if we end up with a lot of people interested I'll appoint a co-gm and possibly create separate ICs in order to allow the group(s) to have a more intimate and social roleplay rather than everyone getting lost in 15 something characters.

Characters will be able to choose or be chosen by a patron deity of varying power and status. The strongest people will be champions of a god from the pantheon, and the more average persons will be followers of lesser gods. Those who champion a god of the pantheon will also be stricken with a curse according to the God they champion, i.e. a champion of Zeus may deal with the wrath of Hera, a champion of Artemis cannot marry and will be significantly depleted during the day, and so on. If certain requirements are met some champions can become demi-gods, but you do not have to be a demi-god to have access to certain abilities. Oracles, Witches, and Warriors blessed like Achilles will be available.

The story will center around an oncoming eclipse and the variety of intentions, both good and bad, that people have for it. Some may go on quests to stop an evil force from taking the power of the eclipse for bad reasons, while others may seek to complete a trial before the eclipse to prove themselves to a God.

If this roleplay gets off of its feet the following deities will be reserved for both myself, mechanics, and plot points. Nobody may champion these deities:
-Apollo
-Hades
-Zephyr

As an added, if you wish to champion Hera you must first get special permission due to the Goddesses' relationship with champions of Zeus.

To finish off the idea, this is in the red-star section because of the blatantly sexual nature of some of the deities in greco-roman mythos. A character may garner the attention of a deity and be seduced by them. Because of the nature of some Gods, not all attention will be from a deity of the opposite sex. I.E. A female is more likely to be seduced by Zeus but a male is more likely to be seduced by Apollo.

Reactions: Katori
This sounds really cool.
What type of bases do you envision for this setting?

Bases as in character appearance mediums.
Real people/images, or realistic artwork?
Oh I see. I would suggest realistic artwork or images. I feel like it'd do better for the idea.

Oh I see. I would suggest realistic artwork or images. I feel like it'd do better for the idea.
Awesome~
Now for the slew of questions >_>

How will Champions or Followers of lesser deities be determined?
Are Oracles, Witches, and Warriors free for us to make as we choose?
Do you foresee a character limit?
Are only Olympians prevalent?
or will Titans, 'Established' Demi-gods (Hercules, etc), Primordial Deities, and other mythical beasts play a role too?

How will Champions or Followers of lesser deities be determined?
Literally in character creation. All characters are expected to be Champions and Followers. If you choose to not declare a patron one will be delivered to you through a plot device.

Are Oracles, Witches, and Warriors free for us to make as we choose?
Yes. :3 It's an added complexity to characters beyond champions and followers. One may have a gift of one of these three or similar bestowed to them by a god, they may have took it upon themselves to follow their own path down one of these three, or they may have a natural gift.

Do you foresee a character limit?
For each individual I'd suggest only one character but may allow seconds for plot reasons.

Are only Olympians prevalent? or will Titans, 'Established' Demi-gods (Hercules, etc), Primordial Deities, and other mythical beasts play a role too?
According to mythos all mythologicals will play a role. Primordial Deities will of course be nigh unreachable unless something particular angers them terribly. Established Demi-Gods may play a role but some may be on their own stories at this time. Mythical beasts will take on antagonistic roles at times and other times beneficial ones. Some may have their own cults, others may be powerful enough to be considered their own form of deity (Such as Echidna).

• Love
Reactions: Obsidian Miscreant
First off, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions lol
Second, I am quite interested as of this moment, and hope that others take a shine to it as well :3

Last, but not least just to be 100% clear all participants are mortal unless granted Demi-god status?
Mortals whom may possess abilities? How many abilities per character will be allowed?

First off, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions lol
Second, I am quite interested as of this moment, and hope that others take a shine to it as well :3

Last, but not least just to be 100% clear all participants are mortal unless granted Demi-god status?
Mortals whom may possess abilities? How many abilities per character will be allowed?
Mortal unless granted demi-god status, yes.

Pretty much one ability at a time unless I deem you fit of another. Oracles have an ability to divine things but not really anything else ya know? These abilities are going to be mostly akin to party tricks or heightened physical abilities until you deserve more flashy ones as gifts from deities.

Mortal unless granted demi-god status, yes.

Pretty much one ability at a time unless I deem you fit of another. Oracles have an ability to divine things but not really anything else ya know? These abilities are going to be mostly akin to party tricks or heightened physical abilities until you deserve more flashy ones as gifts from deities.
I see.
So everyone will be earning the favor of the Gods, and moving up in status/power.
Gotcha~ :3

Can't think of anything else I want to ask, but if I think of anything I will do so.

• Thank You
Reactions: MagusOfTheScales
Well, let me start by asking one question:

Are Titans allowed?
If so, is Typhon allowed?

Well, let me start by asking one question:

Are Titans allowed?
If so, is Typhon allowed?
Depends on the titan, some are imprisoned or considered mostly dead. Typhon would be imprisoned in Tartarus and will have no bearing on the story. I'd advise staying away from any creature that is by nature, solely malicious, like Typhon.

I am very interested, definitely count me in.

• Love
Reactions: MagusOfTheScales
Could I have a warrior character who's a champion for Aphrodite? Her goal would be to resurrect a lost lover from the dead, and since Aphrodite is the goddess of love, I feel that would be fitting. And what sort of curse would this hypothetical warrior have? Would my character being a lesbian be okay? I only ask because I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to Greco-Roman society. Though, a quick Google search said that the "poetry of Sappho" portrayed Aphrodite as the patron of lesbians.

Could I have a warrior character who's a champion for Aphrodite? Her goal would be to resurrect a lost lover from the dead, and since Aphrodite is the goddess of love, I feel that would be fitting. And what sort of curse would this hypothetical warrior have? Would my character being a lesbian be okay? I only ask because I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to Greco-Roman society. Though, a quick Google search said that the "poetry of Sappho" portrayed Aphrodite as the patron of lesbians.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAYAHAH

XD

OMG

You were sheltered in your high school history classes.

Greek society often had gigantic homosexual orgies in worship of some of the gods. Many of the gods themselves have had homosexual lovers, such as Apollo and Dionysus.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAYAHAH

XD

OMG

You were sheltered in your high school history classes.

Greek society often had gigantic homosexual orgies in worship of some of the gods. Many of the gods themselves have had homosexual lovers, such as Apollo and Dionysus.
I mean... I guess it's common knowledge that at least male homosexuality was accepted in Greco-Roman times. But the whole "gigantic homosexual orgies" isn't exactly something most high school teachers would be interested in teaching to teenagers for selv-evident reasons. And I didn't exactly study Greco-Roman culture after I took world history, so I was unsure if it was accepted for women to be homosexual. Oops, I guess?

Regardless, I'm gonna take that as a yes on the whole character idea thing. What sort of curse would be attached to being Aphrodite's champion? And are you looking for a certain amount of people to be interested before you make an OOC?

I mean... I guess it's common knowledge that at least male homosexuality was accepted in Greco-Roman times. But the whole "gigantic homosexual orgies" isn't exactly something most high school teachers would be interested in teaching to teenagers for selv-evident reasons. And I didn't exactly study Greco-Roman culture after I took world history, so I was unsure if it was accepted for women to be homosexual. Oops, I guess?

Regardless, I'm gonna take that as a yes on the whole character idea thing. What sort of curse would be attached to being Aphrodite's champion? And are you looking for a certain amount of people to be interested before you make an OOC?

I think we about got the bare minimum. I'm gonna be running another instance of this on another website and am going to write up an OOC tomorrow because they got a decent group going.

I actually havent had the time to think of Aphrodite's curse just yet. I feel like it might involve attracting unwanted suitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.