The Love of the Young

Renk was surprised by the errand but nodded fervently before running out and heading to Kita's hut. Until he realized he had no idea where he lived and stuck his head back in with a sheepish grin.

"Er, which one is it?"

"Ah, the small one near the village well. It's got a blue flower painted on the door." He smiled. No onein the village noticed where he lived, his tiny hut blended in so well with everything no one really ever bothered picking it out.

"Oh! I think I know which one you mean now," Renk exclaimed before racing out again and heading to the hut. He slowed down as he got closer, and walked in like he belonged before looking around him really well. Finally, he found what he thought he was looking for and grabbed it, heading back quickly. He didn't want to leave Kita alone for long.

He sang to himself softly while he waited in his native tongue, a soft, slow song about a woman in search of the rose high in the mountains of death to cure her lovesickness. His mother always had sang this song to him when he was a child and he enjoyed singing it himself very much. It was a fine, pretty, melodious tune.

Renk paused at the door and smiled as he listened to the song. He waited for it to be over before he stepped inside.

"That was really good," he said as he handed over the book and writing utensils.

He jumped, blushing. "Oh, ah, thank you." He smiled brightly. "Thank you very much for getting them." He glanced down at his lap. "It means a lot to me."

He smiled still and opened up to the next cllean page near the end of the book before he began to sketch out what had happened to him the past few days, not wanting to remember the fact that they were celebrating the slautering of his people today.

Renk sat down and soon became bored. He wasn't really one to sit still, but he didn't want to leave Kita's side. Eventually, he got down on the floor and started doing push ups.

He paused his sketching when Renk just seemingly randomly started doing push ups. "Uh... Renk?" He wondered. "Are you bored or something? You don't have to stay here.

Renk paused and smiled.

"I know I don't have to. But I want to. What if you need something?" he asked. "Besides, what else will I do? Go join the men?" He rolled his eyes and sat cross legged. "I'd rather be with you, you know?"

That made him really happy. "You're very nice opposed to popular beilf..." He added one last detail, a faint blush on his cheeks, before closing the book of all his memories and nudges it under the pillow so Renk wouldn't glance at it. "Although it is rather boring just sitting here." He really wanted to go to his lake a swim around in the warm water and sing to his hearts content.

Renk stood. "It's too dangerous to go anywhere this night. But you rest tonight and I'll take you anywhere you wanna go in the morning if you feel up to it," he promised. "And what do you mean, popular belief?"

"Well, all of the girls think you're very handsome but you're forgetful and they all beleive you purposly ignore them." He smiled a bit sheepishly. "It's a bit of why I found it hard to trust you."

Renk blinked. "I forget about the girls?"

It was true that he seemed to ditch them when he had an assignment, but he always thought they were understanding because it was his job and he needed it to help his mother. They thought it was on purpose?

But then, he supposed that it would explain Kita's reluctance with him. After all, if all you heard was the bad...

"Well, I suppose I can understand," he mumbled, mildly embarrassed.

He chuckled. "But, I guess they're just bitter. You are very handsome. And it is honestly a bit sad that you're still single." He chuckled. "You're quite the catch."

Renk was surprised to feel his face heat up.

"Er, thanks..." he mumbled shyly, looking away.

He chuckled. "It's nothing, it's rather refreshing. All I stare at are the burly unattractive men who look like bears or the goddess like women who make me feel... really off." He smiled.

Renk blinked. He usually felt off with the women as well. But he thought that was normal. It was normal for a guy to feel off about a girl right?

Strangely, that thought didn't make him feel better.

He chuckled, a little nervous. "Well I mean not off... but like... uh... it's hard to talk to them! And keep talking to them and stuff..." He wanted to smack himself. Renk didn't seem to think he was bad or anything and probably hadn't assumed... He sighed softly. Now maybe he'd made a bigger deal out of it and Renk would realize that wasn't the real reason he was uncomfortable around women.