The Love of the Young

Renk shrugged and sat back down, thinking that Kita would be fine and not move again.

"I probably wouldn't have trusted me either. I mean, we have killed quite a few of your... kind," he muttered, not sure what else to say besides that. "The important thing is that you're gonna be okay. You just need time to heal, and I'm gonna take care of you!"

This made him a bit speechless, his face so red the roots of his very pale hair turned pink. "U-uh thank you..." He'd never really been hurt badly enough or had been sick enough to need to be taken care of... It was a nice thought.

Renk grinned.

"So don't worry about anything! I'll do whatever you need me to do!"

He chuckled softly. "Alright, I would much like something to eat, please." He said, feeling lighter in spirit and mind now that he wasn't keeping it hidden... he could relax and be himself around Renk now, couldn't he?

Nodding profusely, Renk jumped to his feet and left the room. He would find something for Kita to eat!

Turned out to be much easier than he thought, because the old woman had already cooked up some stew.

"Is he awake, child?"

"Yeah..." Renk said, waiting for her to ask questions. He was surprised when none came. He was only handed two bowls and sent back to Kita. He set them down and helped Kita get comfortable back in bed so that he didn't have to move too much, and then handed him one of the bowls.

"Here you are," he said.

He smiled gratefully. "Thank you Renk." He dug in quickly, feeling tightness in his stomache from many missed meals. He really had wanted to practice more archery, but if his legs weren't ready, and his body ached all over, he wouldn't be drawing a bow for days yet.

Renk flushed and sat down with his own bowl.

"Ah, y-your welcome..." he mumbled.

He smiled a little to himself. It was a bit cute how Renk blushed like that... stuttering... He giggled.

Renk's head jerked up, a slight pout on his face even as he glared.

"Oi! Why are you laughing?" In truth, he was glad that Kita found some humor.

"N-nothing..." He snorted and clapped a hand over his mouth, blushing darkly. That sounded really stupid.

Renk just chuckled.

"I'm just messin'," he joked, leaning back lazily with a grin.

He smiled. This felt nice... No sad nagging, no heavy hearted women who wanted to cry on his shoulder, no stange girls who'd rub his thigh when they were talking to him, no elderly women wanting to remenice about his people dying in the great war back when they were younger...

"Normal..." He murmured, now understanding a little of what it would've been like if he'd grown up with his own kind... or more accepting people. He wouldn't feel pressured and nervous, he'd feel... lighthearted and relaxed.

"Huh? What are you going on about?" Renk asked. "You done eating? Or want more?"

Renk stood and prepared to take the bowl if Kita was done.

"Hm? Oh! Y-yeah, I'm done." He smiled a little, holding out his bowl to be taken. He felt a bit silly for thinking about that but... it was one of the things he'd wanted most here in this elf murdering villlage. "Thank you." Now, he was stuck on a bed, fingers itching to do something. He wanted badly to draw a bow. Oh! And he'd promised Lady Goodroth the he'd help her with her things... He sighed, feeling like a useless lump. He liked relaxing, but he hated not keeping his promises.

Renk took the bowl and walked off, washing both so the woman wouldn't have to and then returned to Kita.

"What's got that frown on your face now?" he asked, the sight of frown making him sad for some reason. He figured it was because Kita was his friend.

"Oh... I'm just... feeling so useless..." He wanted to do something. His kind weren't ones to hold still for long. "I'm sorry if I sound whiney." He smiled a little, a quirk in his lips. "I also promised to help a few of the women with their feasts tonight. You remember that tonight is the festival of the shadows right?" The one were they laughed and remiced their war plans... and go on a hunt through the forest for one of him to make an example of...

Renk winced and looked at his feet. He had forgotten about it in all that had happened.

"I'll go tell the women that you're unavailable," he murmured before leaving. He was supposed to join in the hunt, now that he was old enough. It would be his first year too, because even though he had been of age for years no one would let him because he hadn't proved himself. Now though... Now he didn't want to participate. He would have to tell the men he was taking care of Kita for the old woman. She couldn't lift Kita should the need arise.

The women were very understanding once Renk explained that Kita had been in an accident in the woods and wouldn't be joining them. They sent their wishes and Renk promised to pass them along. The men weren't so understanding.

"It's tradition, boy!" one growled. "You're gonna come along."

"I'm helping the medic with Kita! I can't tonight," Renk tried.

"Fuck him."

Renk felt angry at that, so angry he punched that man in the nose.

"That's my friend you're downing, so shove off. I'm not going tonight and that's all I have to say to you."

He ran back to where Kita was.

He looked up when Renk stormed in and blinked in surprise when he saw how angry he was. "Is something the matter? Did one of the women throw a fit over it?" He bit his lip, hoping he hadn't caused any problems. "I'm sorry if they did."

Renk shook his head.

"It was one of the guys. Don't worry about it. I took care of it."

"Oh.. okay." He relaxed a bit. And then he remembered that he could be useful! "Oh! Could you go to my hut and get a large thin book that's on my bed and the small bundle of pens on the table next to it?" He could add to his journal of all that he'd seen recently. Keep the stories fresh on some paper to one day tell his children...