The Love of the Young

The mark struck him as odd, and he tried to place why.

"What are you talking about?" he snapped. Then he realized what the mark was. "You're...! I see." Now he was torn. Kita had saved his life, so should he save his? But Kita was...

Renk sighed and turned away, picking up a couple more rocks and tossing them aside. "The lake really has better stones, but it's getting dark. We should head back, and search there tomorrow."

He eyed Renk nervously. Was this some plot to get him killed? He was taking it so calmly... He backed up a little more, feeling the rustle of leaves against his legs as the trees attempted to assure him that he was safe. But he may have just lost his only safe haven...

Renk just walked until he realized he couldn't hear the rustling of Kita following. He turned back.

"Well, come on. We don't wanna be out here after dark."

This was definately a sign of a trap... He'd have to slip in for his things later. For now, maybe he could survive by hiding up in the branches... He slowly began to back away and turned, moving quickly to go hide before he couldn't see. He didn't want to die, and he wasn't going to allow Renk to just kill him with the villages help!

"Oh for the love of- Come on, Kita! I'm serious! We need to get back to the village! This isn't the time for games!" Renk exclaimed. "What's going on with you?"

"I don't trust you!" He called over his shoulder. "All your kind do is kill my people!" He finally found a tree and reached up, straining to haul himself into the tree. "And I hardly know you as more then a forgetful rude jerk who forgets his own dates!"

Renk flushed at that. He couldn't deny that he forgot many of his dates, but he was always forgiven in the end!

"Well, I don't care what you think of me, but I'm not gonna kill you! And I certainly won't tell anyone who would!" he snapped.

He frowned. What kind of idiot did this guy think he was? That's what they would all say! "And what would make me trust you hm?" He tried to make himself comfortable, but his balance was not letting him really relax completely.

Renk threw his hands in the air.

"To hell with this! If you don't want to trust me, fine. Get eaten by orcs and other night creatures. I'm heading home," he scowled before turning and walking off.

He stayed firm. Humans were untrustworthy... He felt a little scared to out in the now shadowy forst completely alone but... it had better chances. That guy was some one he really didn't know well and trusting him to keep this big of a secret from his village was something an idiot would do. He sighed, rubbing at his temples in hopes of soothing his headache. Now he had to leave... Maybe go to the city? Yeah, go there and then... what? What could he do in the city? He could hunt for some one maybe... Yes, that's what he would do. Find a lazy fellow and promise him meals for a roof to sleep under and food for himself. Perfect! That's what he would do when morning came.

At the sound of a not-so-distant howl, he swallowed a lump in his throat.

IF he survived until tomorrow...

Renk tossed and turned in bed, unable to keep away the worry he felt over Kita. After almost an hour, he sighed and got up, pulling on his pants and grabbing his short sword just in case and ran back towards where he last saw the elf. He only hoped there was no danger.

He hurt. A lot. Those wolvares had been hungry. The giant creatures had simply ripped him from the tree and he could barely dodged their teeth, but their claws had sliced open his arms, legs, chest and back, making his golden blood dribble out of him and make him weaker and weaker until he could barely keep his eyes open. A deer had caught the wolvares attentions and they had rushed off to get it, leaving him to possibly die on the forest floor. Well, at least he would die in his natural place...

He closed his eyes, waiting for death to finally come, feeling so terrified of the unknown afterlife that it brought tears to his eyes.

Renk rushed through the brush, making all sorts of noise. When he came across Kita's torn body, he didn't waste time in lifting him into his arms and racing back into the village towards the elderly woman that took care of those Kita did not. He knocked on the door, waking up the old woman.

"What do you-" the woman started before she saw Kita. "Oh dear, the poor boy. Bring him in, quick!"

Renk did as he was told and walked in, setting Kita down where the woman directed him. Once Kita was on the cot, he stepped back. He would trust the old woman to do what she could. He was still too restless to go away though. He couldn't just leave Kita.

He struggled to open his eyes as he felt stinging on his body, looking around a bit dazedly and seeing the blurred bodies of two people, their voices sounding muffled. He was bleeding... but the humans... maybe they'd hasten his death then? Gold blood wasn't human at all, and he could feel a puff on his chest. He marking... and then the vine on his thigh...

Please.... please... don't hurt me to much... He pleaded in his head.

The woman studied Kita.

"He's elf isn't he? And not of the peaceful lot," the woman said as she took in the signs.

Renk hesitated before saying, "Yeah..." Then he added. "He's saved my life, please save his! He can't be like the others if he focuses on healing people right? He does good here."

The woman hesitated this time, and then nodded. "I shall do what I can."

He woke up, not realizing he'd fallen asleep and felt much better, seeing the warm afternoon light floording in through the windows. "I'm still.... alive?" He mumbled, seeing the bandages all over his body. Then he faintly remembered Renk's pleading...

He smiled a little. He realy owed Renk... he should start with thanks...

He slipped out of the bed he was laying on and his legs immidiately hurt, wondering why his legs would be straining so much when he'd only slept one night. "Did they cripple me...?" He muttered in a panic, body beginning to tremble. This wasn't any good if he was... but Renk wouldn't let them do that... did the woman e'd been nrought in to do this to him? What was he going to do...

As the woman treated Kita, Renk fell asleep in a chair nearby. After a little while he woke up and groggily rubbed his eyes and reveled at how stiff he was. He stretched and cracked his body in a few places before he remembered what had happened and immediately turned to the bed in front of him. Seeing Kita awake, he felt intensely relieved.

"Hey, how are you?" he asked.

He looked up, his worries fading a bit. "Renk... oh! uh, I'm well... my legs hurt a lot though..." He looked down, biting his lip and tucking his blonde hair behind his ears as he chewed on his lip. He moved one leg and winced, twitching in pain. "Ouch." He mumbled, rubbing lightly and realizing there were heavy bandageds on his legs. Had it been that bad?

"Don't move," Renk said, jumping up. "You were hurt pretty badly. You don't want to open any of your wounds back up."

He blushed darkly, staring down. He was being so nice even though he'd been such an untrusting wretch. "I... I'm very sorry for not trusting you..." He felt bad, realizing that Renk was a better man then he'd thought.