The Lost Soul

The fact that he could still see the old woman out of the corner of his eye would've seriously started to freak him out if he hadn't seen the lady in the alley instead. He didn't understand why she was looking at him the way that she was.

After a moment the woman pushed herself off the wall and walked towards him. She was rather tall, with short brown hair. "Not just anyone would be traveling with one of her garden pixies. Who are you?" She narrowed her eyes further, "Wait... I recognize you from somewhere."

He shrugged and replied with a simple, "I dunno." After she said that she recognized him, he replied with, "that makes one of us."

The woman tilted her head slightly and spoke like she was speaking to herself. "No... is it possible? No, it can't be." She paused and looked him up and down before shaking her head. "Based on what you said, you have no memories? Interesting..."

He watched her, raising his eyebrows. Why did everyone seem to know him? And why would they all refuse to tell him anything about himself? "How do you know me?" He asked. He had a suspicion that she might know the old lady, too.

The woman hummed a little. "You just look familiar is all, I doubt Raine would take you in if you are who I'm thinking of, so you're probably not him." She shrugged.

He noted that everyone who supposedly knew him also was either a liar or a witch, or both. "So then what was the point of trying to talk to me?" He asked, eyebrows still raised.

The woman shrugged again. "Raine took you in. I was curious about who you were. I'm sure you've heard she rarely takes anybody in."

"Yup. Multiple times; I keep getting told." She knew Raine. Maybe she was part of her witch group.

The woman chuckled. "I figured. The pixies are very talkative." She hummed a little, "Well, I suppose my curiousity has been satisfied since you have no memories."

"Ooookay…you're telling me this because…?" Now only one eyebrow was raised, his broken one, as he looked at her. "You definitely don't have to tell me twice that you're satisfied," he smirked.

The woman crossed her arms and chuckled. "You are just like Raine said you were. That's good, Raine needs some excitement in her life."

He was honestly a little disappointed with her lack of a reaction, but that didn't deter him. He shrugged. "I think she's about ready to kick me out."

The woman chuckled again. "She definitely would be. I think you should stay. Besides." She shrugged, "If it is a spell your under, she's a pretty good bet to getting it removed."

He shook his head. "She's already tried to poison me with her potions. I'm glad you get, what would you call this?, entertained by me annoying her."

The woman snorted and laughed. "Poisoned, eh? You're hilarious, kid." She pat his shoulder, "You'll be good for her."

"Yeah, but you're assuming that I don't die first," he muttered. "And don't call me kid. I'm probably older than you are." Unless she was a witch. He wasn't entirely sure how their lives worked, but they probably spanned a lot longer than normal.

The woman snorted and laughed again. "You seriously think Raine might kill you? Please - she's like, the most harmless witch you'll ever meet."

"How was I supposed to know that?? And you expect me to just…trust you? Far as I know, you're still a stranger, so…" He shrugged. "Nothing personal, but I'd like to think I know better than to trust anyone I meet on the street."

The woman shrugged as well in return. "No offense taken, you're a person who lost all their memories and probably didn't know about us even before they were gone." She shrugged again, "And probably won't remember anything about us after they're back."