The Lost Legion - Chapter 1: The Creeping Unknown

Dalia paused mid bite of the cotton candy coloured mushroom. "I am Drakairis of better quality. Motherrrr Dala built me to be the best. She says if I am worthy of battle and survive this war I may be frrrrrree. And she may make morrrrrrre of me. Forrrr battle. Forrrr the glory ourrrr kin. I am evolution and one day....to fly." She inhaled a breath after chewing what would have been a death sentence to anyone else. "EVERYONE LISTEN TO HEAVY METAL CHICKEN!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yuri ran like he's never ran before. It's only by sheer luck and his silent prayers that he wasn't vaporized by the creature from beyond. Thought to be honest, compared to his allies, he was a pretty small target. Eventually he broke off from his squad and entered the woods on his own. His skills required him to be on his own most of the time, he was still apart of the squad, just not physically with them. His job is to support his allies from the shadows, not out in the open.

Yuri takes a brief moment to catch his breath before climbing a particularly tall tree with practiced ease. After scaling the behemoth of nature he looks out over the vast expanse of the planet's uncharted wilderness. It was beautiful, but unfortunately he had more pressing matters to attend to than admiring the view. He blinks in mild alarm as his com makes a quiet, almost nonexistent beeping noise that would be unheard by an untrained ear. He brings two fingers to his ear and clicks the device, holding his breath as he waits for the contact to speak. He sighed in relief at the sound of Rho-Hux's voice, glad to see the veteran soldier wasn't killed in the chaos that ensued just minutes prior.

"Sir, I'm currently in a strategically favorable vantage point, I have full view of the forest from my position, judging by your coordinates, I'm two clicks east of your current position, standing by for further instruction." While Yuri explained his situation, he had already set up his sniper on a sturdy branch and was scanning the forest for other soldiers. He was used to spending multiple hours in a single canopy, perched in the same position as not to give away his location to the enemy. Unfortunately, this also means that doing anything such as using the restroom would be exceedingly difficult. But fortunately, after a few missions that got "Messy" as a result of what he liked to call "Bladder Malfunctions" the spec ops troop had a filtration system built into his suit. Now he could spend hours standing completely still without worrying about basic human needs.

As Crimson and Dead Eye fled the eventually caught up with Marjan. Crimson was grateful that he was now with them a powerful and loyal ally. Crimson was almost certain he would carry her out if need be.

As far as everyone knew be sides dead eye Crimson was the only one with the information and that means she would be someone they didn't want to lose.

And clearly Marjan agreed as he was telling Crimson it was vital to stay close to him.

"Glad I've got you to watch my back and I'll be sure to stay close."

Crimson would say looking up to the big guy who just seemed to turn into a guard dog of sorts. More soldiers came and one began to vomit. Crimson didn't understand why he was vomiting. War had been going on for a while and Crimson has seen and caused many horrible things to happen but not once has she felt the need to vomit.

Crimson followed Marjan's gaze to see the Android Stein. And she heard what Marjan said and agreed with it.

"Friends for now at least until we kill that monster. We may disagree on a lot of things but we have little choices right now. First we probably need to stick and work together, and second it seems like I'm pretty damn valuable right now with the info taken from the satellite so you can't really afford to lose me." Even though Crimson said this she still felt only truly safe near her Carnizar allies those being Dead Eye, Marjan and Stein.

Reactions: FeastOfPerversions
As the ramshackle group of League, Carnazir, and Assembly forces gradually came to some overarching consensus, the Sprawl watched, listened, smelled, and lurked. The whistling from the quasi-reptilian being travelled over and under the arches of wood intermlinging with stone, through the gaps between the twisting trees, and across the rushing waters of the river.

A sonic picture began to form from Dalia's song. Waves of sound hugging around the ground and the bridges emerging from it noted that they appeared to always converge into a few larger arches larger than the rest, at least large enough to two to three accomodate civilian automobiles side to side. They could not be seen immediately with their impressive lengths rising further behind the obscuring bush deep into the forest's heart.

They did not often overlap the main road but there were some unidentified objects laying across it. The arches did curve over the river whose width expanded the further one went into the woods.

As her echoes began to fade and dissolve, something pinged back. Something large and blocky deep into the woods, arching off rightwards of the main path. A building of some sort, maybe a natural landmark. It was difficult to tell.

Another series of soundwaves pinged back but this time, they weren't Dalia's own. The sound was faint and thin, its frequencies high enough to be difficult to hear without specialized software. It was a whistle but this one was a longer waving stream of notes, dipping then rising before sharply dropping off. It came in sudden bursts of intervals, carrying on further than Dalia yet being more difficult to make out.

It seemed to emerge from the arching stone paths.

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Rads
Dalia's eyes went wide, then she grabbed a stick and started to draw what the sound had shown her. She furrowed her brow as she drew the unknown objects, then still further the building she had supposed was there. The response however that wasn't her own made her curious

She didn't like not knowing the noise, but darted after it before any could stop her. She sent out another echo and another as she went in pursuit of whatever had answered. Her senses sharpened with ether and she stayed ready to dodge debris or other obstacles. She did however leave a trail of claw marks and mushroom to be trailed if anyone else sought to follow.

"It seems we're in agreement. I expected no less from a fellow warrior. I look forward to our battle," Rho-Hux said with a small head bow. That was the closest to a peaceful handshake he would ever give to anyone outside of the PCL. Looking around he could see various different species from the three galactic factions were in this clearing, including the hacker. As far as he knew they were the only survivors. There was also the reptilian-hybrid girl from earlier, he was surprised she had avoided the blasts until he noticed he drawing something and making a clicking noise. She was sensing something no one else could.

"As a temporary alliance has more or less been established none of you are to provoke the ASR or the Carnazir. I want all PCL personal accounted for and ready to form a defensive perimeter."

• Ah Seen It
" aren't we glad to see you" Jiāo'ào told Marjan while holding onto her Shāmò xióng yīng -Twin pistol close to her in case of an attack while sticking close to crimson. They will never know if there would be someone or something running in towards them because of What Crimson possessed. And right now she is like a jigsaw that everyone needed to complete their puzzle " you don't know what we've been through. After grabbing the info. There was a guy who wanted to team up but it never happened because out of the blue. Dildos started flying in the sky!" She said while glancing on the sky if ever there was one looking for them

The worst part is that they were not the only one in the room as Crimson gathered up the information but there was a guy from what it seemed like from the ASR was there to witness everything and she isn't planning on letting that slide. She was slightly being good samaritan she gave the man a little trust and she hopes that if she meet the ASR again he won't fail her little kindness because she will have to cut his tongue

She listened as Marjan explained to Crimson to stay close while she scanned their area. Thanking for the vision that was gifted to her, she can see the enemies from 1000 meters away from her so there will be someone dumb to attack them Marjan words was suddenly cut short when thwy saw a group of PCL unit Utilizing a jetpack. She wanted to shoot but they would be outnumbered if she made attention and she didn't want to let Crimson at risk so she called herself and focused herself in the situation they are right now. And if she means focus it means by pointing her gun over the ASR beast that on any time might attack them and kept her mouth shut while she followed them

' everyone seems to run in the forest too' Jiāo'ào thought as a rustle to the forest turn her attention as it was going through their direction and she point one of her Shāmò xióng yīng -pistol to the source and take out her Jiànlì shā sǐ -knife as a defence when it charge over them

"Sssstick. Close." Marjan said quietly to them while Jiāo'ào focused.

Jiāo'ào lowered down her Shāmò xióng yīng -pistol and Jiànlì shā sǐ -knife as three PCL soldiers stumbling towards then " they look like they came in a clinic and watch a full footage of a surgery." She said as one vomited and she shook her head " you guys look like you see a ghost" she said as one of the Soldiers stepped towards him and sized him up and she chuckled at his insult " why don't you pussies shut your damn mouth. After running here like girls and vomiting, you guys should check where your all standing right now because i assure you" she look at them carefully " you're just all eggs ready to throw yourselves into a rock"

"Are you going to come down or stand there with a blank face all day?" One of the ASR told them

Jiāo'ào then turned to the man who was talking " aren't you a familiar face" she said while Following Marjan and Crimson while she stared at Android Stein appearing

Jiāo'ào watched as Marjan handled the situation and agreed with them

"Friends for now at least until we kill that monster. We may disagree on a lot of things but we have little choices right now. First we probably need to stick and work together, and second it seems like I'm pretty damn valuable right now with the info taken from the satellite so you can't really afford to lose me." Crimson told them while Dead eye keep a close look at then

"We have our hackers, but we have no terminal to access the data they acquired. We find a compatible terminal then we can piece together information from whatever data she hassss. I take it some of you ASR could give less of a damn, but there is the possibility we might have to fight those things in the sky. Can't run forever. What say you all?" Marjan commented

Jiāo'ào in the other head didn't want any of it because she felt that after teaming with the ASR they might do something funny or ask something in return for teaming up and doing them a favor with the situation at hand " i don't trust you guys but i trust my team so don't expect friendship from me like how they give you guys little bit of trust. Ill cut you all of you guys ever did something wrong" she told them

White optics clicked to the now arrived Carnazir team, magnifying their faces for identification. Marjan was a recognised party, a grey AR polygon swiftly turned violet to signify a known Carnazir associate. The voidhanger and human accompanying him were unknown. However, Marjan's direct contacting of Stein via commlink had him connect to the chain, revealing the other immediately available nodes in the short-range network. Those belonged to Crimson and Jiāo'ào 'Dead Eye' de zuìguo, though Stein didn't really know which was which. He could take an informed guess based on their physical juxtaposition in regards to Marjan - and which of their signals was more clear in the network, even if by mere decimals in level of distortion. To this end, he assumed that the voidhanger was Crimson, and the human was Jiāo'ào. At that point, violet polygons marked them too, then signifying all as friendlies. The other parties were being respectively marked on allegiance prior to the Carnazir team's arrival, based on what Stein could observe from their arguments - blue for PCL and red for ASR.

Stein vaguely turned his head, gazing in Yuri's general direction before swiftly dismounting the root arch. His stance steadied his slide down while fingers dug into the rough tree bark, allowing his boots to touch down on the soil moments after. During his walk closer to the central scene where the groups were gathered, one of the ASR units appeared to suddenly dash past further into the trees. Though what was a matter of such urgency for the ASR wasn't strictly applicable to Carnazir, it was in the groups' mutual interests to maintain the strongest force possible in this particular time. That, and to leave this immediate area - it was clear that the worm was still very much writhing in the clouds not too far away.

Briefly looking over the trail left by Dalia, the android stopped next to it rather than venturing closer to the others.

"I recommend we follow.", Stein noted to the groups in a voice that began distorted as before. At the midpoint however, it quickly normalised to a more human, albeit hoarse tonality.

Suffice to say, he didn't particularly wait for them to get their bearings. The android turned and took off in a rapid sprint after Dalia, vaulting over a large root without losing momentum before disappearing among the leaves. For the Carnazir team, a new interface request came in from Stein. If accepted, his waypoint was shared across their navigation systems. It was moving away, and fast.

Watching gratefully as the apparent PCL leader backed down and told his subordinates to get their shit together, Sarnai started marking all the various individuals in the area with tags identifying them as the factions they appeared to be associating with and as "temporarily friendly" in her suit's system. As she finished that task, she had begun doing a general sweep of the area across her sensor spectrums when the odd human man who had been standing slightly apart from the group joined the rest Carnies, distracting her right at the moment the Drakairis woman darted off into the woods.

Whipping herself back towards the direction the woman had run in, she let out a hiss of annoyance inside of her suit, emitting as a odd crackle of static on the outside. She was about to give chase when the odd human spoke up, his voice distorted strangely for a moment. "Android." she immediately thought to herself, updating his tag with "Use anti-armor rounds".

As he began following the trail she twisted her torso to imitate looking over her shoulder, simply saying, "What he said." before igniting the thrusters in her legs to dash herself forward on a jet of super-heated plasma and catch up.

Vaygus and Heidon had a rather unguided path into the forest. But when they came upon the group they remained silent. Like unseen specters the eyes of the high priest went over each individual. They had been late and gotten diverted by thick foliage. Though the situation seemed to have changed. He looked out and there was a degree of calm over the groups. Though however calm three groups bent on destroying one another could be. Heidon crouched beside Vaygus "This seems tense or at the very least a risk if we start making demands outright" Though the high priest desired the information gathered his protegee was correct.

Sighing the tech priest gave a glance to his protegee then looked back at the groups
"You are not wrong. And we may need to bide our time. The holy work will continue but patience will be required and fully tested" As he accepted his own words he deliberated on showing himself. He could remain hidden and possible strike. But like Heidon had mentioned if they take such a risk now failure was ever more likely. Standing he motioned Heidon to follow. Coming out from behind the PCl forces he slowly made his way up to Rho-Hux's position.

Though he did not look at the Major his voice was clear with rasping calculation "Major.......apologies for the delay" He made no action to ask of the situation since the stalemate at least to him was evident of an agreement. However he kept his doubts to himself. Heidon however approached the Major "Has the intel been acquired?" He inquired heavy weapon still in hand to be used but not spinned up.

• Sympathy & Compassion
"Fine. I hate it, but yes sir." The belligerent human's shoulders drooped as his tension left and he grunted in agreement. He paused to sigh and pulled up his rifle, brushing off dirt that had clung to it when escaping the harrowing bombardment. As he did so he knocked his foot against his fellow human, still on his knees and in front of a pile of nausea-induced vomit. "Hey, buddy, get up. Sun ain't gonna shine until we make it to the rays."

Wiping away the last from his mouth, the trooper stood and opened his hand to show Rho-Hux. A metal chain dangled and a silver tag swayed on the bottom. He stuffed it away before its identifying features could be made out and secured his helmet to his armour.

"Glad we're on the same page of not blasting each other into meat stew." The voidhanger gave Karnix one last look with narrowed eyes before falling into position; spread out across the vanguard, visors and eyes scanning the curving terrain. Plasma caster off to the left side, two rifle men taking up the positions to his right with an even spread.

They were about to suggest everyone else fall into formation when without any discussion or planning, Stein, Dalia and Sarnai ran off towards the unseen whistler.

The forest thickened as they sped through the brush. More stone paths rose and fell in their agile run while fragments of scratched out wood and plucked mushrooms dotted their path. Sarnai's mech in particular ploughed through most of it with its plasma-assisted velocity. In the wake of the large mecha's movement, small animals skittered from her path with crackles and hisses. Wings fluttered and lengthy serpentine forms shot off of branches, whirling in the air as they darted. The sudden burst of heat and light from the thrusters had caught the eyes of the unseen watchers.

It wasn't long before their companions had vanished behind a wall of stone and gnarled trees sitting upon them that they neared the site of the unidentified noise. At first glance, it was another little cluster of naturalistic architecture. A few arching stone paths that had begun far behind them and tapered down diagonally into the ground. These ones had been well used and worn judging by withered, scratch-laden roots that blanketed the greying rock. All stopped before a few large tree roots splattered with dirt and going up to around Sarnai's chest level.

The trees themselves were in a rough shape. One had fallen ages ago, almost uprooted if not for the enormous coils of its lower body still gripping into the ground. Its own body, partially rotted by detritivores and disease, had been overrun with lichen and fungus, forming a bridge that lay upon partially crushed stone counterparts teetering away from the area. The other source of the roots was some dense near comedically stubby tree that sat on a hill of stone and soil, slanting off to the side and partially seated on the mouth of a stone bridge. Its own burly roots had twisted over and overgrown seemingly into the air; looking closer, there had been a hill or something they had once dug into.

All that remained of that now was a large pile of packed dirt upon which were the marring signs of powerful claws. Similar markings revealed hemselves; on the bark of the trees, across bridge stone and root, and the fact the soil and foliage seemed to be flattened into trails, some of which went between and under some of the enormous gnarls and crooked finger appendages of the trees grasping at soil or stone. It seemed that the ground at some portions had been partially burrowed into or dug up, revealing more roots sticking out like twisted fingers before additional large dirt piles.

That is when some of the dirt began to shift and what appeared to be small glowing stones... no, small eyes opened and gazed upon what they had lured to their abode. From under the soil, the shrubbery crowding the edges, from over the tops of the bridges. Spine-like formations rose behind them as a bird's plumage might in a show of territory. These however crackled and curved, nearly closing into a fist if not for the muscular contractions causing them to remain risen as a hump in their back. Quadripedal at first but one of the larger specimens, rising under an arching tree root, had a second pair of limbs emerging from the spine-bump, ending in the same three clawed hands. Its tail ended with a single long spike surrounded by a series of smaller bristle-like ones.

Across all their long lizard-like bodies, black dimples easily mistaken for holes could be seen. One would almost think the whistle was from there, not from their lockjaw semi-grins and their glistening caverns of teeth. One of them, unseen, kept up the whistling as the others crept closer, bodies pressed to dirt, bark, or stone as they watched the three bipeds with some unknown, alien motion. Their claws lightly dragged against the surfaces they crept across and a few opened and closed their mouths, yawning perhaps, as their teeth undulated and reflected a few beams of dim light passing through the tree tops. The largest one kept its distance, tapping its hump-claws in staccato motions against the root.

Known colloquially as rootcreepers or in the local tarhaidim language as alghazaf ("sprawl ghoul"), these creatures grew to be around two and a half to four metres long and sit near the top of the Green Sprawl's food chain. They were large and powerful enough to make power armoured soldiers wary of the myths and tales passed about in villages and settlements bordering Caracosa's great woodlands. As the war raged throughout Caracosa, they grew more reclusive as stories of them ambushing patrols and clearing out bases followed in the wake of tarhaidim corpses found as if in some last stand in the wild.

Sources conflicted; some claim they werre not foolish enough to risk fights with armed soldiers and others that they could even kill vrexul or unztadtlige if sufficiently agitated. Were they really partaking in the violence to feed on the fungoids or were they simply boogeymen for the suspicious.

Most of these ones seemed fairly large; a pack of around 10. Two more appeared to have the additional set of arms but their tails were sickle-like and slimmer by comparison to the one tapping on the root. These two were maybe just a few feet shorter than the clear dominant rootcreeper. They were positioned at the sides forming a rough triangle around the intruding bipeds; one sitting atop a bridge and another still partially buried, dirt sloughing off it as it gradually rose and flared its spines.

The other seven were around two to two and a half metres, smaller than either and warier of getting nearer. Lacking the additional pair of limbs and with no spine-hump, these ones were surely younger. Their colours were similarly drab but if the group looked closely, one of them had a strange black and blue scab across its back. In fact, the largest one appeared ot have some cracks near its hump as well, radiating outwards from a few particular points.

The other two larger six-limbed ones also appeared to have some deep wounds across their bodies; healed but clearly the signs of some sort of conflict. They continued whistling, slowly raising and opening their clawed hands, mouthing some unseen language at the group. In spite of their current advantage in numbers and their primed legs ready to pounce, they seemed more paranoid than they did hungry.

xenotype_stalker_v_2_by_halycon450.jpg

Dalia paused in her run and stared down the beasts. Her eyes looked to each. These could easily surround her, but clearly not looking for a fight. Perhaps they were not expecting others so deep into the wood. She let out a low growl and crouched. This was a face off between the beasts and her. It was not one of force, but of warnings as her scent glands let off a faint reaction. It was a warning that if they attacked she would respond. Her body paced to match their language. She was not going to back down, but speaking the language of apex predator.

She snarled and 'hiss', letting out a show of dominance, but not approaching. Her tail smacked the ground as she paced on her fours. Her claws dug into the ground, drawing a line. This was not a challenge as much as a showing of mutual understanding and respect, deference even of like minds. The wounds she did note and wasn't seeking combat. She also knew better than to try and fight against those protecting their young. She let out a louder hiss that gave way to a roar. "Retreat to avoid conflict" , the roar implied.

Stein kept Dalia mostly within sight, though noting that she stopped some ways ahead, he did the same. One of the stone arches near the site became his impromptu cover for the moment as he shifted into a spot under it, allowing him to observe in silence. She wasn't alone over there - the following burst of snarls indicated tension, a non-human encounter with several other beasts dotting the area. Though the android didn't have a clear visual on what they were save for colouration, their estimated positions were tagged and followed. It was easier to see a pattern from this angle, they functioned in formation, all moving slowly except one. The beasts must have been ambush predators, their alpha clearly distinguished. With so many of them keeping tightly together in this one area, either the ambush was intentional or Dalia and Stein just wandered into their living space.

Knowing that Sarnai was coming from a mile away, Stein stuck a palm out behind him to tell her to stop from a distance. He hoped this would be far enough away for the noise of her mech to not disturb the stand off ahead - Dalia seemed to have it handled. Unless the beasts suddenly decided to get bold and attack her, adding more threats into the mix would only complicate things. In the meantime, Stein indicated a red-zone at his current position before sending it to the Carnazir squad. "Proceed to higher ground," he noted to them internally, without moving his lips. "We've encountered territorial fauna."

• Sweet
Landing with a slight thud from her most recent bound through the air, Sarnai-Zaya saw the dull thermal signature of the android stop, and focusing in her sensors, she saw him raise up a hand in a 'stop' motion.

Pausing in response and looking towards the clearing the android was staring at, Sarnai-Zaya noted a number of thermal signatures beyond the hulking form of the Drakairis woman. Slowly, carefully Sarnai-Zaya moves herself so that she had a clear line of sight on the clearing and the potential fight. Silently sinking onto her haunches to gain stability, she replaces her assault rifle onto her side, reaching back and pulling her rail gun down into her hands, plugging it in, her crest fluttering with happiness at the quiet whirr of it powering up.

Lining up the rail gun with the creature closest to the Drakairis, she watched as the woman drew a literal line in the sand and let out a series of warning growls and roars. Recognizing that the threat display might convince the wild animals to back down, Sarnai-Zaya stays her fire for now, her finger on the trigger in case they pounced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hidalgo is looking looks at two of the three canazir at the mouth of the forest ' I'm starting to remember why I hate complete military men, it's not exactly hard to kill a basic solider, yet they have glorified Rho Hux as some sort of battle god if anything I wouldn't have stirred up the legend then there wouldn't be anything to stroke up his ego'.
' Then I have an ass over a teammate that is getting overly chummy with Rho, I mean what the fuck is that about'. ' It's easy to kill people talking about it like it's a badge of honor makes me angry than sick, and now that I really stop and think about it there's very little that's funny about how things have turned out so far'.
'I only seem to have one teammate that's not a pain to deal and thank goodness for small blessings because if all my teammates were a pain to deal with I don't know what I would do'. He adjusts the scanner IFF mode in his right eye for the Canazir as temporary friendlies

' That was far too close, I also acted shamefully and that could have cost me my life, it's been a very long time since I got that worked up, I'm glad that I don't have any delusions about what I'm after all this times, I was a warrior at first and fighting for the cause and so on but now I'm just a man that hopes that one day I don't have to see another body'. ' I have no doubt that when this is all over I'm not going to sunshine land or whatever the flip people call it these days'. ' I'm doing this so my sister can have a good life and not be looking over her shoulder or sleep with one eye open wondering when someone one will be coming back round to kill her'. ' Sure some might call me a hypocrite and much more and they are not completely wrong so I don't blame them but I became a doctor so I could save lives and keep at little of my humanity at the end of this life'.
'I could be wrong but there's something about dead eye that makes her somewhat similar to me'.

Last edited:
The scent on those things was curious. Very curious. Karnix couldn't place what it was about them that bugged him so, but nonetheless their scent was deemed strange and mildly offensive to the olfactory glands.
The vrexul had tailed Dalia quietly as she proceeded into the jungle. Yes, they had at least settled the current hostilities among the survivors for the time being, but ASR always would come first. True ASR, anyway. There were only a handful of them on this patrol and yet the alliance of most were questionable at the very least.
Karnix stood up and eased in beside Dalia to add to the already well established display. He openly displayed all six arms, extending his claws and scythe-blade alongside his more conventional "firearms" while chattering his mandibles and flexing out his chitinous armor.
Let's hope PCL and Carnazir hold up to their end if this shit turns sour.

Rho-Hux observed the 6 limbed animals as they appeared. Rootcreepers, pack hunters, and high up on the food chain. They were not their natural prey so if they left them alone they would not be bothered. However, Rho-Hux wondered if they had learned to fear the sound of gunshots as other animals who lived close to weaponized races had. If they were then firing a warning shot might be enough to scare them away, they already seemed paranoid enough and looked like they were ready to run at an instant. He couldn't tell if their wounds were inflicted by another pack, fights for dominance, or were caused by another creature. The blue scab did look unnatural and if he had a trusted biologist with him he would kill the individual to sample it. Hell, if he more recourses he would capture the whole bloody pack so he could have the PCL work to domestic the creatures. Having a small army of them to rout out enemy forces would prove useful.

"Stay close to the ASR Carnazir and follow them around the Rootcreepers. I'll try to get to a higher vantage point and see what's ahead. Yuri, I suggest you do the same so we can support each other if things get bad." After giving out his orders Rho-Hux examined a tall tree for any signs of hostile life. Once he felt safe about it he fired his grappling gun to it and activated his octopus armor. From this hight, he could clearly see the entire pack. He then looked out to the distance opening to find a clear path.

Though Vaygus and Heidon had not been present for any agreements to be made they both knew that these creatures were a risk to all present. Moving with the remaining PCL forces they moved as a solid unit with the other factions. Vaygus himself taking up the head and glaive gun pointing towards the creatures. Heidon had taken up rear guard with his heavy gatlin spinning up. Ready to lay waste to the creatures if an attack were to happen.

The high priest stopped and looked to the other factions "We are moving towards you. When we join up we can move as one" Vaygus held his misgivings quiet and soon found himself uttering prayers of protection and warding. Hoping the blessings along h is hood and armored frame were to give help at his request. Trying to move around the creatures and avoid a direct fight where they knew the land well. Such knowledge was key in any battle. And unfortunately, Vaygus guessed that a pack of this size would probably know the area well.

In spite of their fearsome appearance, the rootcreepers were not known to be very loud animals. The most notable sound they made was that of the whistle, raising in pitch and intensity in response to Dalia's roar. More of them manifested, creeping over the wide stone bridges the majority of which lacked the additional arms; it appeared that they did not grow them until they were older and larger. The lack of these additional limbs did not stop their voices from joining the chorus; claws rapping on stone, scraping on wood, grating together - all adding a series of screechy pitches to the wall of sound. Deep intonations like some monastic throat-chant followed, taking up a bassy position in the makeshift mix as the largest of the creatures stepped forward, its hump-claws raised and scraping together as it smouth opened and bared its blue-tinted teeth.

The others leaned to the edges of the bridges or moved in from the side. They were smart animals that knew the bite of steel and shell but they knew these strange bipeds, armoured and armed, were not looking for a fight, especially not in their own home. Confident that they would retreat, they flaunted their weaponry of fang and claw, seething with a territorial stubbornness that masked their fear of bloodshed.

As the tri-faction alliance moved away from the abode, they would come into view of blocky structure located by Dalia. It was not perfectly visible through the branches and foliage but the camo-pattern green and brown of the structure was not entirely congruous with its surroundings. It was a large rectangular prism shape almost like some large shipping container, sitting upon a partially flattened and overgrown hill. It was covered in camo netting through which screened windows could be seen and under the meshing of its roof small angled dishes sat on stubby bases.

It was not the only structure present. What at first appeared to be another fat-bottomed gnarled tree was moving lightly in a breeze that was not actually blowing through the woods. It was mistakable at first for some large flora but its own dense branches dropping and curved were laced with metallic silver lining with mottle brown wiring emerging from within, travelling over its trunk and the roots of branches. Its own leaves were shifting in place, swivelling as if on ball joints as their metal-married branches slowly stretched outwards. On the thin sides of these leaves one could see a thin silvery lining, synthetic in nature. A few of them had damage and revealed the nebulous veins of the leaves, interlinked with a living network of dotted cybernetics and chip-boards, each one allowing for the transfer of digital information through a semi-organic system.

A few other structures were visible, at first seemingly tents. They were off to the side of the larger crate-structure and to the right side of the cyberized tree. They seemed like tents at first but veins and porous grate-structures could be seen on their side. They were around the same size but lacking the harder geometric angles, curved where they should be cornered and a kind of drab green and light brown, almost like a distant view of a forest as it blurred into sameness and disorientation.

There were no signs of life other than the tree and nothing to signify to whm it belonged. It had clearly been maintained by proffessionals however; the biotech structures with their pulsing veins and camouflaged walls were not low quality and the false tree was likely a biotech project; not something cheap or easy to maintain. It was not a full outpost; more of a small camp if anything. Perhaps a listening post and if it was not this far into the forest, there was no doubt it had likely picked up the supernatural carnage that had transpired over the plains.

The question was; were those maintaining it aware of the large group that was nearing it?

"It's a camp alright. Small but well maintained. Could be anyone's but that living plant material? It's gotta be tarhaidim tech." What appeared to be flat goggle structures slid down from a section bordering the voidhanger trooper's visor over his eyes as he scanned the area, his plasma caster sweeping left and right over the top of the hill. "Likely just for observation but it's not that well hidden oddly enough. Probably for scanning the area outside of the forest. That tree-machine, whatever tech is inside of it, it's probably as much radar dish as it is listening device."

He was crouched near one of the large roots of a tree, speaking via his coms to the rest of the squad. The other two troopers head spread out a few metres off to his sides, having taken crouched positions at the bases of the tree. There was no telling if they were being watched through the windows.

"No jamming on my end, can't pick up any residual signatures in the air. Might be abandoned. Maybe they were as scared of the void-worm as we were." The human, the one who'd puked earlier, was attaching a launcher to his rifle an slowly slotting in a grenade. He was trying to figure out how high to aim if he wanted to nail a grenade through the windows of the rectangular structure. "Those structures though? Can't scan through them. There's something in their material composition that's blocking me. I think it's some kind of biotech composite."

"I say we just go our way, pay no heed. All that noise we made? Fuck, what if we were heard like a mile away?"
The other human soldier, the one who'd been angry and blistering earlier had his eyes peeled, rifle near to the visor, waiting foor anything to move. "Damn drakaris just had to try to be louder than the rootcreepers while mechacommie had to thruster-boost on her way here. Shit, maybe they thought we were a small army or something. I'd bugger out if I heard that whole-ass concert on my doorstep."

Last edited:
With the arrival of the Vrexul to the square off, Stein quietly slipped away from his position near the arch. It was clear that this was a waste of time; the rootcreepers were hesitant to attack - if they were truly ravenous, they would have already made a move. Trying to exert dominance in order to force the beasts from their own home was a fruitless endeavour. Furthermore, the groups were already on the move to another point. Though Stein could have encouraged the ASR trio to back off and loop around, they were hardly a concern of his. As of now, the primary threat factor in the situation was their continued presence in the area. This would be a minus one.

Verdant leaves brushed over snow hair, faint traces of ash crumbling from the branches as the wind carried the remains of cratered plains over the treeline. Holding navigational tags on the parties in all 3 squads made it easier to orient oneself to the next gathering point. In this instance, Stein headed for an intercept course to the Carnazir squad, climbing up the hill and onto their path in order to rejoin them. His black rubber palm swatted some of the ash sprinkling away from his right shoulder as he looked towards his 3 approaching faction mates.