The Lost Continent

CORRINA JACOBS

Corrina nodded, as she rose, and moved across the floor, picking up the articles of clothing that had been discarded the night prior. She dressed, as she listened, and shaking her head, frowned in thought. It was too easy, getting caught up in what ifs... As nice as it sounded not to think, she had to. She had no other options... Going home meant starting over, and with no real prospects, her best hope was the success of the mission.

Orion headed for the bathroom and after plucking the journal off the nightstand, she followed, taking a lean against the door frame with a small, appreciative smile, "Maybe we'll get lucky, and it'll wind up being a German joke book. Anyway... I should head back and get the clue translated... Probably gonna need to translate this, as well. At least the first few pages, so we can see what we're up against." Giving him a once over, her lip twitched into a smirk, "You should probably know... you're making it incredibly hard to walk away, though."

Stepping back, she shook her head again, "Last night was... It was really nice, Orion. Whatever happens today, I want you to know that. No regrets." With a shrug, she grinned, eyes falling to the journal surface, coyly, "And if you ever want a reprise... just let me know. I'll see you down there." Glancing up again, she winked, before she turned to the door to slip out, closing it behind her.

GIDEON KERNS

Laughing, Gideon shook his head as she slipped out, but not before a saucy smack on his backside. As he turned to the shower, he considered all that had happened in a short span of time and couldn't help but wonder just how much crazier things could get. It was a question that in only an hour's time, he'd regret asking.

After how showered and sucked down another cup of coffee, he made his way downstairs to the meeting room, to find the small linguist wearing a look of discomfort that immediately set his nerves on edge. Approaching Corrina, he frowned, a brow lifting as he looked at the not one, but two leather bound books she carried.

"...Trouble?"

Looking up, Corrina shook her head, "...Probably worse than that." Handing over one of the books, she frowned, "...You need to read it.
The first page. I translated in the margin. The next clue is in Italy... but we need to make sure people know what they're getting into, before we move forward. You need to know what you're getting into."

Orion Petrove

Stripped naked and waiting for the water to heat up, Orion propped his weight on his hand resting on the counter. He was expecting Corrina to follow him in and when she did, he couldn’t repress the small smile on the very corner of his lips. He didn’t expect some grand speech, perhaps a small goodbye, but she always had a special way of surprising him. “That sounds like a good idea,” he agreed when she mentioned the clue. It did need to get translated, and they were having a meeting in an hour… forty-five minutes, and counting. Oh, how quick time went when he was scrambling to get ready for a meeting he was already going to be late for.

The journal, however, soured his smile. He nodded, a bit more solemnly that time. “You’re right, I think that’s best. I hope it’s all just a joke book, trust me, but I really doubt it’s going to be. Well, I guess I’ll find out as soon as everyone else does.” Though the journal had been trusted in his possession from the German, he was glad to be rid of it. It gave him the heebie-jeebies, just holding it. He didn’t like keeping the fates of others in his hand, though he felt a little bad that it was about to be dumped on Gideon’s lap.

His smile steadily returned though, never seeming to be gone from his face for long. “Last night was really nice.” And, overall, it had been. There were some acid parts in-between, but that was to be expected, he decided. Their emotions were riding high, and there was a lot of shared stress with the adventure.

All in all, he wouldn’t have taken back any bit of it, arguments or otherwise. “We’ll have to do that again, uh, you know, soon. Soon.” He didn’t know when ‘soon’ would be. He didn’t know where they’d end up, or what they’d be doing, but they’d have to make time. “I’ll let you come into my tent anytime,” he called after her. “We can have dinner together in sleeping bags over a camp stove.”

The door closed, Orion laughed and got in the shower.

[/hr]

• Love
Reactions: Elle Joyner
TWO JOURNALS TOO MANY

Gideon was decidedly not a fan of Germans and their journals. As he read the pages translated by Corrina, his frown grew deeper, his frustration with it. Things had gone so smoothly the day prior, but incidentally it was not meant to last. Things were complicated, to put it mildly… And while it wasn't necessarily an easy decision to make, while he wasn't even sure what the right decision was… one had to be made.

As a team, things had gotten significantly more complicated, and the meeting hadn't even begun yet.

Showered, Orion moseyed his way down to the meeting hall, surprised to find it only sparsely filled with others. More importantly, he’d yet to see Gideon or Corrina. Taking an awkward seat next to the doctor, he passed her a polite smile.

As the others began to filter in, taking their seats at the table, Corrina was not far behind, settling on the other side of Orion, amd behind her, Gideon, wearing an expression that could only be described as cautiously stoic. He approached the head of the table, and setting the journal down, frowned.

“It seems we had another visit from our German friend last night.” Tapping the journal, he looked around the room, “It seems the Brotherhood has a reason for being so invested in keeping Atlantis hidden. What's in this journal? It could very well alter your decisions to be here. So I'm giving you one chance, right now… A vote. I can read it… and quite possibly this journey will end, today. Or… I can put it away. We can continue our course and pretend this never came into our possession. So… what'll it be?”

The room was somber and once Gideon finished explaining what was going on, no one said anything. Nervous looks were exchanged around the room, though Enna found herself looking down at her feet, her hands laced together in her lap. She’d made the mistake once of wanting to learn; she had looked into a future she wished she never had, and she wasn’t going to make the same mistake again willingly.

“I don’t want to know,” she spoke up, killing the burning silence. “After the library, we all knew this wasn’t going to be safe and they sure as hell didn’t hire me for fun. I already know the risks and I don’t want to be reminded.”

Her words brought relief to Orion, who had been eager to give the people an opportunity, though he wasn’t sure he wanted to know either. “Same,” he agreed without pause once she finished. “I’m torn a bit with curiosity, but also knowing I’m better off not knowing.”

“Whatever,” Kristof snorted from the back. “German dude couldn’t scare us with a gun so they’re going to new tactics. Screw him and his chiseled jaw.”

Frowning, Gideon looked to Corrina, “What about you? You've read it. How's it sit with you?”

“It scares me…” She answered, lowering her gaze to the journal, it scares the hell out of me. But I'm not going anywhere. This is too important, and I think we're the right people to do this. To find it.”

Nodding, Gideon glanced around the table again, studying the faces of the other team members, “Anyone else?”

Enna sighed and threw her head back, staring at the ceiling and wondering if her decision was the right one. She’d made the choice once before, true, but only for herself. Her heart hammered wildly, but she ultimately didn’t speak up again.

Nor did Orion, though he reached his hand below the table and rested his over Corrina’s.

Silence filled the meeting room for a moment or two, before finally, nodding, Gideon slid the journal back to Corrina, “Keep that safe, with the other one. We might find some useful information in there, anyhow.” Scanning the table again, he shrugged, “If we’re decided, then… I believe Corrina has the next clue?”

Nodding, Corrina gave Orion’s hand a gentle squeeze, before she reached for the other journal, opening it to the next section, “There’s mention of the Etruscans. I have reason to believe this indicates the next clue is in Italy.” Glancing at the book, she frowned in thought, “Deep beneath the Etruscan waters, dormant in an ancient slumber, my soul lies near the unluckiest number.”

Looking up, she shrugged, “Needs a bit of deciphering, otherwise.”

“Pfff,” Orion snorted, having no idea what the clue could mean. “The who? I don’t even know what that means.”

“It’s an ancient Italian civilization and society, more or less,” Enna explained, though that was where her knowledge ended, as well.

“Tuscany.” Hadassah interjected, sitting up a little straighter, “The Etruscans were from Tuscany. There’s a canal there.. .similar to Venice. That’s probably the water. My guess is something under Livorno… It’s a port city, on coast. As for the number, well... everyone probably assumes it’s thirteen, but actually, Italian tradition suggests the unluckiest number is seventeen. What that means as far as the coast, I couldn’t tell you.”

Enna perked up in her seat to listen, glancing back over her shoulder. “That’s good work,” she complimented, though she didn’t think particularly high of the woman speaking. “The only seventeen I know in relation to Italy is the seventeen contrade of Siena, though I doubt it’s related.”

Orion squeezed Corrina’s hand affectionately. “What about Roman numerals? Isn’t where that superstition comes from?”

Nodding Hadassah smirked at Orion, a brow twitching upwards in what might have been a glimmer of genuine respect, “That it does… But I guess we won’t know until we get there and start looking around.”

Corrina looked to the journal again and nodded, “The clue in the monastery wasn’t easy… I doubt this one will be, either. Might be a good idea if we start doing some research. It’s gonna be a hike to get there, so we’ll have time.”

“Question is how we’re getting there. You think they’re fitting us with plane tickets, or train?” Orion wondered aloud. If they were taking train, they’d have plenty of time. He’d been on the Eurorail plenty during his years of service, and it wasn’t exactly a fast means of travel.

“Guess we’ll find out,” Enna remarked with a shrug. “Hope everyone is packed.”

Chuckling, Gideon shook his head, “I’m not… Guess that’s the cue. Let’s break… I’m assuming our patron will send his assistant, soon enough, so pack quick and we’ll meet back down in the lobby in half an hour.”

Enna, probably less prepared than Gideon, grunted. A half hour? She’d have to make it work but it wasn’t idea. “Alright, see you all soon, then.”

• Love
Reactions: Nav
Enna Sparks

Enna knew herself well enough to know she was overwhelmed. After the meeting, packing, the chaos of the train station, and her admission to Gideon the night before, she was left feeling exhausted, and it showed. She sort of trailed behind a bit, never far enough to rouse suspicion, but lacking a certain glow. She hoped the train to Italy would be a long, quiet meditative trip. They were booked on to sleeper cars, after all, with the length of their ride, though she wasn’t feeling optimistic for the moment she passed her luggage off to the bell hop loading things into the cargo train, Kristof was at her side.

“Hey, Sparky,” he mused with a devilish grin, brushing shoulders with her. She huffed at him, rolling her eyes because she lacked motivation to respond in a more mature fashion.

“I’m not a dog, Kristof. Could you at least call me Sparks? My actual name?”

The slender man pouted, tossing his duffle bag at the luggage handler without a second glance, following Enna on to the train platform like a puppy at the heels of its master. “Oh, come on. Your no fun, and you’re so nerdy with those glasses. Here, lemme help you, girl.” His hand reached over, unannounced, and plucked her glasses straight from her face. Too shocked to say anything, Enna merely shook her head and gaped at him.
“See? You look cuter without them.”

“I don’t need to look cuter,” she snapped once she regained her footing in the conversation. She reached to snap back her glasses from his loose grip, holding them close to her chest. “And even if I did, I wouldn’t come to you for fashion advice with your Justin Bieber hair cut and skinny jeans that are probably cutting off your leg circulation.”

[/hr]

Orion Petrove

Where Enna stressed, Orion seemed relaxed. He had passed by the luggage car and handed off his luggage, keeping a few personal belongings in his carry on duffle as he crawled aboard the train car that had been booked out specifically for their team. Bunks were assigned, but most didn’t seem to be following them, and picked bunks based on personal preference rather than obligation. They were nice little spaces—decent, narrow beds with hard curtains that pulled across for privacy, though they were hardly sound proof.

Mounted chairs to tables were in the linked train car behind them. It was a decent set-up for a few day trek, though he imagined they’d all be clawing their way out by the time they arrived in Italy.

If nothing else, at least they wouldn’t be with complete strangers. Finding an open bunk, Orion threw his bag into it and ducked to sit down, glancing about his new digs. They weren’t bad. He’d slept in worse, and at least there was a solid roof over their head that wasn’t bound to leak. It was no hotel, but there were beds and tube shower, and he wasn’t going to complain.

[/hr]

Last edited:
CORRINA JACOBS

It was an interesting struggle, having the weight of something riding on her shoulders that no one else wanted to know about. The words were resonant in her mind, haunting and dark, and the more of the journal she translated, the harder it became to pretend, like the others, that they were on a fun free ride across Europe. It was funny, considering how reluctant she was at first to tell anyone about the journal, how concerned she was that no one else chose to be privy to the information, and it was going to take some time... and some considerable effort not to let it get to her.

On board the train, she made her way through the aisles, to the sleeper car, but by passing her own room, she continued further down to find Orion. The rooms weren't five star hotel worthy, but they were surprisingly bigger than anticipated, with soft, comfortable bunks, plush carpeted floors and a full bathroom with a shower.

Leaning in the doorway of Orion's compartment, she smiled faintly, giving the man a nod, "Hey Bonito... What time you think the drink car opens? Cause I could use something to take my mind off this damn journal, and my first choice is out with the size of that bunk bed, there..."

GIDEON KERNS

Gideon's strength, decidedly, was in being a fairly patient man. For having been in the military, he wasn't exceptionally violent or prone to losing his temper. All that had happened had left him feeling strained, but he handled it with what could be considered a pretty exceptional level of poise.

But when he spied the journalist, snatching the glasses from Enna's face like a fourteen year old bully, too big for his britches, it required every ounce of his self control not to grab the man by the neck and lift him over the train rails.

Approaching the pair, he watched for a moment as Enna yanked her glasses back, and a sense of pride mingled with his fury, as his arm slung around her waist, his eyes narrowing at the dark haired man, "You're gonna wanna walk away, Bud. I told you before you were barkin' up the wrong tree. I'm gonna say it one more time. Then words aren't gonna be necessary, anymore... We clear?"

Enna Sparks

Kristof raised his eyebrows at Gideon when he came over, but the much smaller man seemed to catch the hint. He snorted and shook his head with a fabulous flip of his hair. “We’re clear, Hercules,” he replied, turning to proceed to his own bunk, making it as far away from Enna as possible on such a small train cart.

Enna huffed again. She wasn’t prone to losing her patience, as she had to deal with equally frustrating and rude patients all the time, but something about Kristof dug into her something fierce. Her fur felt all ruffled, pulled the wrong direction and she was tense to her wits end. It wasn’t until a familiar arm was slung around her waist did she finally begin to relax. Kristof would pick on her mercilessly, knowing she wouldn’t be able to do much to retaliate, but he didn’t seem keen to mess around with Gideon. It wasn’t hard to see why, either, with his towering form and muscular structure that painted an intimidating figure.

Intimidating to some, perhaps, but not to Enna, who lolled her head back and smiled up to him. “Thanks,” she said, slipping on her glasses again. She frowned and took them off, wiping away the smudges Kristof left with the hem of her shirt. “I know he’s almost thirty, but he looks barely twenty, and hardly acts ten years old,” she mentioned off-handedly, but probed for a topic change. “So, that journal—“ she mentioned, stepping up the stairs into the living quarters of the train. “I don’t think I’ve seen you look that stressed out before, and we’ve been in several high stress situations.”

[/hr]

Orion Petrove

He knew the look on her face the moment he looked up to her. He’d seen it on her the night before, when she was fighting something in that pretty little head of hers. Scooting over, he patted the mattress next to him, welcoming her to join. “I mean this nicely,” he began with some hesitation, “but you look a little rough. You want to talk about it? It was my idea to translate it and pass it off, anyways,” he reminded her. His thoughts of allowing the group to make a decision on it back fired a little seeing the weight Corrina was suddenly having to carry.

“This little curtain here closes and we can have some priacy, or I bet the drink cart will open…” He glanced down at his wrist watch, which showed a minute past eight AM. “You know, in a few hours.” His internal clock was still all messed up, and it caused him to chuckle.

“Sadly, I don’t have any booze on my person. I should have grabbed a few of those lil’ bottles from my mini bar before I left, but I do have…” He paused, deciding showing her would be better. Holding up a finger of ‘wait,’ he dragged his duffel into his lap and pulled back the zipper to reveal mounds of American junk food. Everything from Cheetohs to doritos to Hohos to Oreos. A sheepish grin crossed his face. “I figured I’d need ‘em eventually, but maybe I’ll be nice and share with you, too.”

[/hr]

GIDEON KERNS

Gideon watched as the man wandered off, his eyes narrowing as he gave his head a shake. Immature did not begin to cover it. Men like Kristof were trouble. Ambition did funny things to even the best of people, but those without a sense of good will, those with fractured consciences, who cared little about the world around them? It was dangerous. His arm remained around Enna's waist for a few seconds, even after the journalist had disappeared, and only when she spoke did he release her with a small, uneasy sigh.

Breathing out, he looked to her, and with her words, the scowl was wiped away as he chuckled dryly, "Sense that, did you? Clever girl, here I thought I was an ace at covering it up."

Gesturing her to the train, he led her up the stairs, following close beside, "But I don't wanna burden you, darlin'... Not about this. You said didn't wanna know, and it's better, I think, that you don't. Besides, it ain't the worst thing I'll have floatin' around in this head of mine. I'll get past it." Jaw set, he glanced along the aisle, before gently tugging her to one of the empty row seats, pulling her down beside him, "Worries me though, Enna. This trip... All of if. That prick of a journalist. I want you to stay away from him. I know I don't have right to tell you that... but I am, anyways. I don't trust him."

Reaching up, he cupped her cheek, his thumb brushing gentle over the apple, "...I want you safe. I need you safe. Don't think I need to tell you why..."

CORRINA JACOBS

Chuckling, wrinkling her nose at his comments, Corrina sank down beside Orion and leaned against him with a soft sigh, "I feel a litle rough. But I dunno... Talking about it sounds nice in theory? Maybe..." Biting her lip, she glanced at him, her eyes studying his for a moment before she shook her head, "It was just... it was a lot to read. Not exactly uplifting stuff. I'll get through it, I just... need to take my mind off it for a little while."

Her eyes shifted to the curtain and the smile returned in full. It was tempting, to say the least, particularly since that brand of distraction came with a pretty attractive incentive, but it was early, yet, and she was sure they had a lot to figure out before they arrived in Italy. Still, it was a nice thought to file away for later. She had, after all, meant it when she told Orion a repeat wouldn't be entirely out of the question or unwelcome.

He shifted and she sat back as he rifled through his bag and when he revealed the contents, her eyes widened as she stared inside, before letting out an easy, bright laugh, "Oh... Sweetie. You know how to pack. What's a girl gotta do to score a pack of Oreos? And you should know I'm basically shameless, when it comes to chocolate, so..."

Enna Sparks

She had told him she didn’t want to know, and she had no right to argue it then, or go back on it. All she could do was numbly nod and mumble in agreement as she made her way up the large, wrought stairs leading on to the main train cabin, which was already packed full of the rest of their crew. In terms of remaining bunks, there weren’t many, but that didn’t seem important. Instead, she turned back to Gideon, clutching the front strap of her shoulder bag with both hands.

“Admittedly, I’ve been trying,” she replied, her gaze wandering over to Kristof who seemed to have it out for everyone, though her in particular more than anyone else. He was over there staring at Corrina, his eyes narrowed and his mobile phone in his hands like he was contemplating something dirty and nefarious. “He seems plenty keen on following me around and calling me Sparky.” Saying it out-loud caused her to grin. If anyone else had come up with the nickname, she probably would have found it funny. But with Kristof, it wasn’t funny. It was irritating, and embarrassing.

Her gaze was detached from him by the gentle caress to her cheek, coaxing her head back towards Gideon. Her smile softened. “I’ll be alright,” she assured him, placing her hand on top of his and giving it an affection squeeze. “But I’ll make sure I’m cautious.”

Even knowing what she knew about herself, her genetic code, she wasn’t one to take a lot of risks. Atlantis had been a risk, but she was generally pretty conservative, not willing to throw herself on a line unless her job demanded it. Perching up on her tippy toes, she pressed a kiss to Gideon’s cheek, before turning and making her way into the cabin.

The cabin was chalk full of people and in terms of sleeping space, there wasn’t much left, but she managed to find a top bunk and threw her bag up on to it.

[/hr]

Orion Petrove

”Nothing wrong with feeling a little rough,” he replied, knowing that the reason she felt rough was because he’d pushed her to present the journal so everyone on their team had a fair shot at it, if they chose to. He was torn, mentally, between believing he’d made the right decision, and knowing Corrina suffered because of it. No one else could read German, from his knowledge, and that meant Corrina had too read it. He wondered if she would have if he hadn’t pushed to give it to the team. No amount of Oreos would likely make it up, but it was a start.

Orion hooked his arm around her shoulders, and nodded. “Then let’s not talk about it. Let’s talk about Oreos,” he agreed, reaching back and pulling out one of the travel packs of Oreos and extending it out to her. “You don’t need to do anything for this one,” he said. “You know, classic move. The first hit is always free, right?” He smirked, leaning over to press a kiss to her hair. He might not have known anything about medicine or healing, but after several tours, he knew the power of comfort food.

There had been times when he was wound up in some third world country, far away from home, with scant spoiled meals and a hunger in the belly. Even a single bite of a food from home was enough to bring comfort, and fill a small part of the overwhelming loneliness.

[/hr]

GIDEON KERNS

Frowning, Gideon followed her gaze, shaking his head as he watched the journalist for a moment, "It's gonna need to stop. Him and Hadassah, both. Maybe it was funny to joke about them being mean girls before, but this isn't highschool and crap like this... it could get people hurt, or worse." He'd read the journal... at least the first chunk, and he knew the risks ahead of them. There would be challenges alone, without idiots like Kristof starting trouble.

Looking to Enna, his expression softened and with a nod, he released her, to claim her bunk. He glanced around as well, and settled on a free one down the bottom, sinking onto it and pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration. He knew it was for the best, the others being oblivious to the journal's contents. But damn if it wasn't stressful, being security in a mess of drama and confusion. He didn't regret it, the decision to keep moving, and the girl in the bunk across from his was a large part of that... But it was definitely not going to be a trip of smooth sailing.

Rising, he moved to Enna, and without caring, frankly, that there were eyes everywhere, he scooped her up into his arms and pressed a warm, tender kiss to her lips, "...They all died, Enna. Every single one. That journal... the guy who wrote it was the sole survivor. I'm sorry. I know you don't wanna know, but I can't keep it from you. Because you need to understand that I'm not gonna let that happen here. I'm not... I will do whatever it takes to keep you safe. Okay? Anything."

GIDEON KERNS

Chuckling, Corrina leaned back against him, shaking her head as she took one of the Oreos, breaking the cookie in half, to eat them separately, starting initially with the cream, then the cookie itself, "Hm... Classic move, indeed. Keeps 'em comin' back for more. You're devious, there, Orion. But you've already got me hooked, so it's not like I had any hope, anyway."

It was comforting, indeed. The cookies... the conversation... being with him, in general. He was a good man, and she'd meant what she said about thinking he was worth it. Their talk the night prior had been heated and difficult, but this? This was what made it all so necessary. Getting to a place where she could trust him. He knew her secret... her worst secret, and he still wanted to be around her. To be near her.

And even if they were just sharing a snack and pretending the world around them wasn't crumbling to pieces, at least she didn't have to think for just a little while. It was pleasant, and she couldn't help but appreciate him all the more for it, "Okay. No more talk about Germans and their journals. What's your favorite snack, Orion Petrove? Cards on the table."

Enna Sparks

Obsessive as she was, Enna unzipped her bag and peered through its contents once more, her delicate fingers picking through each object and going over her mental list for the umpteenth time that morning. A lingering feeling of missing something kept crouching over her, but no matter how many times she went through everything—compress dressing, antiseptic, gloves, siccors, morphine—she couldn’t think of what it could be that was missing. Heck, she even had a vast majority of her basic surgical tools. She could very well perform basic surgeries on the side of the road if she needed to, but something wasn’t there… something….

On her tippy toes, as the top bunk was nearly out of her reach, Enna sighed and sunk her chin down against the scratchy surface of the provided blanket. Everything was in place, her bag organized just like it always was, and yet she still couldn’t shake the feeling. It might have driven her mad had a hand not slid around her waist, and another hooking the back of her knees and sweeping her right up off the floor. A squeal of surprise escaped her, and even she was shocked at the noise she’d just made. Her arms clamped around Gideon’s neck, looking up at him with widened eyes.

The kiss was enough to make the initial surprise lessen, and her body to relax. Of course, the sense of ease didn’t last long when she heard the reasoning behind his sudden displays of affection. “Really?” she echoed. His words brewed in her mind for a long time as she remained silent, letting her head fall against his shoulder. “That’s… wow.”

They all died. A part of her almost wanted to ask how they all died… but she decided against it. The less she worried about what she had to be prepared for, the more prepared she’d be to handle whatever injuries or illnesses they would face. It was better than that no one else knew; if they did, there would be panic.

“I trust you, entirely, Gideon.”

She finally remembered what she was missing from her bag, and it wasn’t anything physical. Nothing she could have found in any hospital or Walgreens. No, it was trust, and she needed that small reminder, even when it was a mixed bag of terrible news.

[/hr]

Orion Petrove

”See? I know what I’m doing sometimes,” he replied, hooking his arm around her just so he could steal one of her cookies from her little pouch. Unlike her, he didn’t twist his halves apart, and instead chose to bite into it whole, munching contentedly. He hadn’t intended to break into his stash so early in the trip, knowing he may very well need them even more down the road, but Corrina looked like she could use them, and he didn’t regret the decision. He finished his cookie in another bite and rubbed his fingers together to dust away the crumbs.

“My favourite snack? Oh, that’s a tough question because it can really depend on my mood. Am I interested in sweets or salts, you know? I think one thing I’ll never say no to are Pringles. Just original, none of the fancy flavours. So, yea, probably Pringles.” Oreos, as it were, were not a bad back-up though because they brought him back to an easier time, a time from his childhood. Pringles he hadn’t discovered until a little later in life and while delicious, didn’t share the same sentimental value those little white and black cookies did.

“What about you? This is a matter of life and death, you can only have one snack for the rest of your life. What would it be?”

A blaring horn announced the train was about to depart and true to their departure time on their ticket, the train groaned. Loud clinks of metal as the cars snapped into motion, one by one, echoed all the way up the line. Before long, they were moving, though ever-slowly away from the city center.

[/hr]

GIDEON KERNS

"Good..." Satisfied, Gideon settled down on the bunk beneath her own, pulling her across his lap to hold her close, "It rattles you... losing people. Makes you question whether or not you can keep going, you know? Whether or not you want to. I locked myself away from people for so long, that I wasn't sure I'd ever get past it... but this trip? It's been hell, but it's been good for me, too."

A sigh, escaped and he pressed a kiss to the crown of her head, resting his chin there for a moment, "But reading what I did... knowing what happened. I don't wanna dwell on it, or make you change your mind about being here... It just got me thinking. About what's important. I started this because of the money. Hell, I stayed after the library, because of the money. But it's not about the money for me, anymore.

And that scares me, Enna. It scares me more than anything in the world. The way I feel about you. The way I know I could feel about you, if I let myself. I've known you less than a week, and it's crazy... but I know if I lost you... I wouldn't make it home again. I don't think I'd want to. And I'm sorry, cause I know that's probably just too damn much pressure to put on you, especially considering we basically just met, but there it is."

CORRINA JACOBS

"Skittles." She answered, without having to think about it, "It was the first American snack I had, when we escaped Colombia. I was in tears in the bus depot just across the border. We were waiting to cross over, and I must have a looked like a complete mess. This sweet woman... I still remember her face... she came over while my Abuela was sorting things out with customs, and crouching in front of me and just held out the bag. I was scared, of course, but I was also young enough that I didn't have much common sense. So I took them and I ate them right there in front of her. The whole bag."

The train gave a jolt as it moved forward, and situating herself comfortably against him, she plucked out another oreo, breaking it apart to repeat the ritual, "My Abuela was furious, of course, when she found out. She was a little paranoid, I think... that my father would find us. But when things settled down and we realized we were safe, really truly safe, she went out and bought me an entire box... The kind you see on the store shelves. And after that, any time I had a bad day, it's what she'd bring home for me."

Sighing softly, she leaned up, turning to look at Orion with a small smile, "...Oreos are pretty high up on the list too, you know... Thanks, Orion. I needed this."

Enna Sparks

Enna had lost a bit, she supposed. She lost her grandfather, to whom she’d been exceptionally close since the moment they met, but that was different. It was expected that one lose their grandparents sooner or later and he was old, and had fallen ill, so she knew it had been coming. It didn’t make the lose any easier or more justified, but she’d never lost anyone else, not the way he had. She’d never lost a lover, a sibling… someone who was too young to die, but died anyways. That was a trauma she just didn’t understand. Her head continued to rest against his shoulder, even as he hauled her on to his lap and settled in the bunk.

“It’s not going to change my mind about being here,” she admitted. “They only died because they didn’t have a medic like me.” Though her tone wasn’t as playful as it usually was, a soft smile still curled her lips.

They’d known each other less than a week, but the stress they endured was far more than anything most people endured in a lifetime. She hadn’t realized it before she accepted, but there was a good chance he’d die, she’d die, they’d all die, if the journal was true and meant to be believed. After the incident at the library, she was inclined to believe it was authentic. She could be the best doctor in the world, and that didn’t mean she could save everyone, or anyone. She couldn’t save herself, she couldn’t save her grandfather.

“Well, you know more about me in a week than most people do in years,” she admitted, her hands lacing up together in her lap. “And I trust you more than I’ve trusted anyone, so if I think there is anyone that can see us through this, alive, it’s gunna be you. You were the one who told me to stop worrying about, uh, the thing, you know,” still hesitant with how close everyone was around them, “and we’ll make it out of this.”

[/hr]

Orion Petrove

”Mm, that sounds like a nice story. I don’t have any Skittles though, sadly. I thought they’d melt if we went anywhere too warm. They do that, you know.” He’d had his fair share of melty Skittles that were shipped out in care packages to troops in tropical places. After being in boxes, baking under the sun for a few days, they turned into a congealed, brown liquid mess. He’d packed his treats strategically—things he knew that would help him, and could survive the extremes of temperatures—whatever those may be.

“So, you’re going to be stuck with Oreos and Pringles, probably,” he said, reaching over and zipping up his bag as she continued to eat her treat. “Just don’t go around telling everyone, because I don’t have enough to share for the all of us, but I’ll share with you.” When Corrina picked her weight up off of him and looked with a smile, Orion was quick to return it with a small nod. “You don’t need to thank me,” he assured him, “I’m glad I could help.”

He didn’t know what he was helping, but it didn’t matter. He was just pleased he had some small, positive impact on someone.

The train got up to speed, though even at its fastest, the scenery chugged by in slow motion. The city vanished into handsome fields of golden grain, swaying together in the breeze. “Gotta say,” he admitted, “I definitely prefer trains to planes.”

[/hr]

GIDEON KERNS

Smiling dryly, Gideon nodded, "They definitely did not have that. It was also ages ago... and who knows, maybe they all caught bronchitis or something." There was a chance it had all been faked, really... that the German had written it to try and keep them off track. But it didn't matter. The facts remained the same. He wasn't going to let his guard down. Not when he knew he needed to keep them safe... all of them.

She continued, and he relinquished his hold on her a little, to press another kiss to her head, chuckling, "I did tell you that, didn't I. And maybe it's the right idea to have. I think I need to just put that damn journal out of my head. Move past it. Shame..." He looked down at her, grinning a little, "Not exactly a space conducive to any of the good, proper distractions I could think of. You wanna walk with me? Check out the rest of the train?"

CORRINA JACOBS

Grinning, Corrina shook her head, "Even all melted together, I'd still take 'em. Though I guess they wouldn't appear so appetizing. At any rate, I'm glad you don't have them... I'd eat them all and probably make myself sick. You'd have to roll me all the way to Tuscany."

Dropping her head against his shoulder, she sighed. It was a nice idea, comfort food... comforting people. But at the end of the day, there was only so much ignoring they could really do. They would have to face the facts that the journal was a part of this. That danger was a part of this and there was a very real chance that they wouldn't all make it out alright.

She was pretty determined, though, that she would, and she wouldn't let anything happen to Orion if she had any say in the matter, either, "Oh, it's much better." She agreed, nodding, "Smooth... comfy, too. And none of those terrible mini pretzel bags or watered down chardonnay."

Enna Sparks

”No, it’s not,” she agreed, glancing around the cramped space. So small was it, Gideon looked like a gorilla in one of those old fashion circus train cars—and she meant that in the best way possible, of course. Even she, as dainty as she was, wouldn’t fit well into the bunks, and would have to scrunched her legs up some. She couldn’t imagine how rough it would be for taller folks, like Gideon, or Orion. Hell, even Kristof, though she took a small bit of pleasure in thinking him a restless night of sleep.

“It’s not easy though, is it? Just casting it from your mind. That’s something I understand well.” She’d been told to just ‘not think about her diease,’ and ‘live her life like she didn’t have it,’ but those were words of people who didn’t understand. Things couldn’t be just forgotten like that. They weighed on a person, like dragging a ball and chain behind you wherever she went. Sure, she didn’t know Gideon’s loss, but she understood how hard it was to wrangle with things like that.

Smiling, she climbed off his lap and stood, nearly knocking into the cartographer, who smiled at her shyly as she whirled around to plead for his forgiveness.

“Goodness, it’s so small on trains,” she laughed, holding her hand out for Gideon and wiggling her fingers at him. Maybe they both had a lot of weight to carry on their shoulders, but she wouldn’t let that get in the way of a laugh, or a smile.

[/hr]

Orion Petrove

Orion could only turn his crinkled nose as the prospect of melted, brown dyed gooey Skittles. He liked them, but not that much. He wasn’t sure he liked any food that much that he’d eat it in its worst state of being. “No, no, if you make yourself sick, that’s on you. You’re puking yourself to Tuscany. I don’t deal with puke. Nope. Nu-uh.” He didn’t mind blood, gore, or much else… but puke? The very thought of it made him queasy and a little green at the gills.

Thankfully, the matter wasn’t pressed and with a hard swallow and a brisk shake of his head, he pushed all those thoughts away. He could only hope that they wouldn’t end up on a boat with someone getting seasick but that’s when he’d retire to his cabin and let the doctor deal with flying chunks. He had no interest.

“Yea, all good points. Slow, though. Very slow. At this rate, we won’t be in Tuscany for a while,” he mentioned, glancing out the little window behind the bunk opposite of them. “Most of these people are nice, and I don’t mind being stuck with them. But a few? It’s awfully close quarters to be spending with a few of these folks.” He meant two in particular.

[/hr]

GIDEON KERNS

"It's damn hard," He agreed wtih a firm nod. It wasn't just the journal, after all, that weighed heavy on him. After the bomb that she had dropped, and the dream that had followed it, he was exhausted... To tired to block out the thoughts that were filling him to the brink, like lead in his stomach.

But he needed to move past it. Not just for his own sake. He needed to focus, so he could keep them all safe... protect them, and get the mission back on course.

Chuckling at her observation, he nodded, "Like sardines in here... Gonna be a nightmare, fighting for the shower." But it wasn't a terriby long trip, and they'd hopefully settle into a hotel when they arrived. Reaching for her hand, he moved to the exit, and out into the hall that would lead to the dining car, "Hungry? I got caught up in packing this morning. Forgot about breakfast."

CORRINA JACOBS

Laughing, Corrina shook her head, "That's terrible. You'd just leave me in my humiliation and agony? I mean, I guess it's fair. I'm not big on certain bodily fluids, either... but damn, Bonito. That stings." She wasn't offended though, not really, and the teasing was apparent in her voice and her eyes when she looked back at him, grinning softly.

He moved on a moment later and sat up a little, stretching out a kink in her neck as she considered the differences. Plane was certainly faster, and by far, less uncomfortably close with the others. The hotel had been awkward enough, but sharing a close quarter with people like Kristof and Hadassah...

"...Yeah." Frowning a little, her eyes scanned through the ground that lingered in their area, and a brow lifted, "Creepy Journalist Kid keeps lookin' over here. You don't think he's shifting interests do you? From Gideon to you? I mean... I couldn't blame him, but he's gonna have to work damn hard to get through me if he wants that to work out for him."

Enna Sparks

”Mmm,” Enna hummed apprehensively. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to put more wait on you.” He didn’t deserve the weight of her secret on top of everything he already had to deal with, but it’d been a catch twenty-two. If she didn’t tell him, she’d never allowed herself to let it get any farther. No one deserved to be surprised, and so she knew being upfront with him had been the right thing, though she wished she hadn’t needed to. Fervently, she wanted to be the one normal thing in his life, not something that turned out to make it even more difficult.

They couldn’t walk side by side in the train as the alley was too narrow, but Enna followed after him, her fingers still tangled up with his. “I am hungry, yea,” she agreed. She, too, hadn’t eaten, as she’d been too busy with packing and then worrying about the contents of her medicine bag. Truth be told, she wasn’t even that hungry when he brought it up, but she knew better than to ignore meals. Not knowing what was in store for them, it was better to eat and rest when she could, when they all could, because it certainly wasn’t promised to them.

[/hr]

Orion Petrove

Orion glanced towards Kristof, though must have caught him on an off-glance, for his head was turned away, eyes towards the window. “Nah,” he replied, with a small shake of his head. “I think Gideon told the kid off. He’s been messing around.” Orion averted his glance, returning it to Corrina with a shrug. “He just seems like a confused kid, you know? I doubt he’s as bad as he makes himself out to be. I’ve seen kids like him before. They’re just a little lost and confused, and Hadassah probably has him all wrapped up, feeling special.”

He wasn’t exactly thrilled about spending time with the two of them, but he tried to remind himself it could be worse. They still had a bathroom, and a shower. Perhaps the water would be cold and the space would be tight, but he’d been in situations were it’d been a whole heck of a lot worse. He imagined the same could be said for Corrina. “Either way, he has it hard for Gideon, I doubt I’m going to shake him off Gideon that easily,” he said with a playful smirk.

[/hr]

GIDEON KERNS

"Woah, hey. No. Don't you apologize for that. I'm glad you told me, Enna. Weight or not. Not knowing? Finding something like that out some other way? Would be much worse, trust me." Sliding an arm around her shoulder, he kissed the top of her head, "That's a different weight, altogether. That's the kinda weight a man fights under."

Leading her down the aisle to the next car he paused and gestured to one of the booths. Generally, the seating was family style, encouraging people to sit together, but there was no one else in the car apart from an elderly man, hiding behind a travel book. Sinking down, he grabbed a menu, scanning the page.

"Eggs Benedict sound good... I could deal with some bacon, too." Looking up, he chuckled, "Probably not doctor recommended."

CORRINA JACOBS

Shaking her head, Corrina turned away from the kid and looked back at Orion. It was a little sad that anyone on their mission had to be told off, but being a professional, she supposed, didn't necessarily mean being mature.

Still... There was going to be enough to contend with, without adding the Hateful Duo to the mix. They needed to grow up... Fast.

A brow lifted as Orion went on and she grinned, shaking her head, "If you believe that, you haven't looked in the mirror recently. Cause Gideon's a good looking man if you're into nordic deities... But you? You're pretty damn hot, yourself."

Enna Sparks

The weight of his arm across her shoulder was the only good kind of weight she wanted to bear. With a smile, she leaned in to him, tilting her head against the ball of his shoulder. “I wish I didn’t have to tell you, but...” She trailed off and just shrugged, knowing she didn’t need to complete herself to be understood. It wasn’t something she wanted, but something she’d have to live with and, maybe, Gideon would have to live with, too. The admission he’d made back in the other train car was not one she believed came easy to him, and one she did not take lightly.

Whatever they were to each other— friends, a couple— they were tangled up together inevitably.

Enna slid into the booth next to him, flipping through the menu herself. “No, I fully recommend and encourage bacon for you. You’ve already proven several times you have a healthy heart, so, bacon is a good protein.” His athleticism in bed had astounded her, and with that kind of health, she had no room to argue him choosing bacon. Smirking, though not looking up from her menu, he flipped to the next page.

“I want the pancakes,” she finalised. “It’s amazing how Americanised the food on this train is, isn’t it? It’s even in English.” The menu was translated into several European languages, but it amused her that English was the first, and largest, print. “So,” she began, sitting back and glancing over to him, “what’s the first thing you’re going to buy once we get paid? No matter how embarrasing.”

[/hr]

Orion Petrove

Orion threw his head back and laughed. “Funny, I think we could pass for brothers.” He and Gideon shared a lot of physical traits: the blonde hair, the slightly tanned skin, the square jaws. They weren’t so close they could have been twins, but he figured they could have passed as blood siblings, at least. “Could you imagine being an actual brother to that? Goodness, that seems like a horrible thing to have to live up to. I hope he never had younger brothers, else they’d be screwed in life.”

Orion fell back on the bed against his elbows, looking up to Corrina with his laughter softening into a warm smile. “I’m glad you think so, though. First time I saw you nearby at the bar, I thought you were going to rip my face off, but I thought to myself that you were totally worth another facial injury. I’ve already had one, what’s the risk for another?” He reaches out and tapped her hip, wiggling his fingers for her to lay back with him.

“So, tell me, you up for a little nap? We didn’t get enough sleep last night and I think we have plenty of time to research, so, why don’t you move into this little bunk with me and take some time off, huh?” Orion sat up again so he could tuck Corrina’s hand behind her ear, placing a kiss right below the lobe. “What do you say?”

[/hr]

GIDEON KERNS

Chuckling, he nodded, "Oh, I'm really glad to hear you say that. I mean... I knew you weren't a health freak when you saw the dessert at dinner that first night, but anyone who doesn't like bacon? That's a deal breaker for me. I can handle just about everything, except a girl who isn't down with bacon." Setting the menu down, decided, he glanced over at her with a brow quirked.

It was a funny question, and one he probably shouldn't have needed to think about so intensely, but somehow, it carried with it a different feel after the last few days. Maybe because he dared to hope, even just a little bit, that he wouldn't be spending the money alone. That he would have company.

"I don't know, honestly. Maybe a boat. I'm not a huge fan of swimming or anything like that, but there's something so peaceful about the idea of a boat you can take out on the open water... disappear onto for a few days. And after this? I think we're gonna need a little peace and quiet."

CORRINA JACOBS

Laughing faintly, Corrina nodded, "He is a bit ... carved out of marble, that guy. I'm happy for the two of them, though. Him and the doctor. Enna's a sweetheart, but she strikes me as the sort who doesn't let go easy, you know? It's nice to see her throwing caution to the wind a little." And while she wouldn't say it out loud, it was encouraging to see another couple formed over night that seemed satisfied... that seemed to work.

He leaned back again and she looekd down at him with a laugh, shaking her head, "I wasn't that bad, was I?? It was just such a hard nigh, and I was pretty sick of being hit on my middle aged men in cheap suits. Honestly, I think par of what made you so appealing was you didn't try to hit on me right away. That, and I guess I have a thing for guys with long hair..."

"Oh... I could definitely use a nap. Not that I'm complaining about not getting any sleep..." Curling up with him as he ushered her down, she sighed contentedly, her eyes fluttering closed at the feel of his lips against her neck, "You keep kissin' my ear like that, though, Bonito... and I won't be getting any sleep now, either."

Enna Sparks

Enna laughed. A genuine, true laugh that shook her down to her bones. It’d been a hell of a long time since she laughed like that— completely free of pretence and expectation. “Oh, really?” She said begeeen bouts. “What if I told you I was a vegetarian? Or god forbid, a vegan?” Her time rising with amusement.

She was pretty sure he’d watched her indulge in a huge, juicy burger just a few hours past, but she couldn’t help but tease him. Sometimes, he made it too easy. She quieted with the change of conversation, but her smile never vanished. She forgot about eggs Benedict and pancakes, lacing her fingers together and looking at him as he spoke. She’d always found him handsome, but she saw things when studying him closely she hadn’t noticed before. The small dimple in his chin, or the soft hint of a wrinkle between his eyes, probably from frowning so much.

They were little imperfections that made him all the more dear to her, because they were the things that made him real, obtainable, and tangible. He’d joked with him once that it was like he was photoshopped and she’d meant it, but it was the little things she liked most.

“Mhm,” she agreed when she realised she’d nearly missed what he’d said when observing. “I think we all will. A vacation from Atlantis.”

Standing, she went to order their meals from the hostess.

[/hr]

Orion Petrove

He had called Gideon and the doctor from day one. He’d noticed early on the way they looked to each other, even when they were across the room from each other. The spark wasn’t hard to miss, and it was the same look he’d seen on Corrina’s face when she looked to him. A look that was warming and affectionate, trusting and reassuring.

“Yea, I think they make a cute pair,” he agreed. He thought highly of both of them from early on— Enna for fixing his shoulder without a fuss or scolding, and Gideon for assuming the role of leader and doing it well. “We all have our secrets, I guess. I’m sure we’ll all get to know each other a lot better in coming weeks.”

Corrina settled down next to him and he kept gliding his fingers through her hair, picking apart any knots he found l with soft tugs. “You know I’d love that more than anything, but I can see the dark circles under your eyes and I can feel them under mine. Rest first,” he murmured, pressing a kiss against he cheek before lying his head down next to hers.

His eyes closed but his hands kept stirring through those long dark locks. “You were pretty bad at first,” he teased, kissing the back of her head. “But you warmed up quick.”

[/hr]