The Lion's Roar: Medieval Politics and Conquest

N

Norzdormu

mappsalter-l.jpg

The Lion's Roar
A Time of War and Intrigue

A bit of an ambitious first post, but here goes;

The year is 1151. Henry of Normandy has established himself as one of the most powerful lords in Medieval Europe, in the course of a year inheriting and securing land in France that is greater in scope than even the French King, Louise, can claim to. A previous unsupported attempt to claim the English Throne and later the risk of war with the French King convinced Henry to swear a feudal oath to the French King, however, he is about to set off on a new political campaign. Eleanor of Aquitaine has managed to receive and annulment of her marriage from the French King, and now rides to join her hand with his rival, Henry, thus lending him the support of the Duchy of Aquitaine. Once this has been secured, Henry believes it possible for him to finally pursue his claim on the English throne, though his mother, the indomitable Princess Matilda, for the second time.

England has been a land of discord and civil war for some time, King Stephen sits upon a throne that is largely considered a hollow vessel, much of the North of England refuses to acknowledge his rule, and Southern Wales is adamant in its support of Matilda and her son. Good feeling towards both is also rife in the counties of Devon Cornwall, the old steadfast strongholds of Matilda. The one key strength Stephen has to play is the loyalty he can expect to count on from the remaining Lords of England should Henry invade. Grown used to lax Kingship and the open laws of the land, many fear a change in King, especially one who can command large armies independent of the rebellious English lords, will result in a return to powerful laws limiting their own power. Likewise, many now hold common cause for the embarrassment and defeat of the young Henry, an upstart in the eyes of many.

Players will take on the roles of lords and ladies at three potential courts; Duke Henry Plantagenet, King Louise of France and King Stephen of England. Other regions of Europe may open up, such as the Holy Roman Empire, as the RP progresses. Rather than simply control the individual they select, players can opt to control their close family, as well as wielding the military might and influence of their lands. The only two characters that are not available, in these three courts, to play are Henry and Eleanor, who myself and my as-yet-unnamed co-gm will play. Once the game begins, the fate of England, France and beyond, are free from the restrictions of History. The situation, the events and the results can change, drastically, from a single altered decision.

Themes of the RP can range to the quite mature, although nothing is forced. Expect Romance, violence and the like, anything you would find in the actuality of the period. The rp is advanced, and thus I would expect posts of at least a few paragraphs with a well developed style. Character sheets will likewise be judged in such a manner. While the names and character of the main players are fixed, feel free to be creative with building houses/characters so long as the style remains within the historical and not the fantastical.

Empty Character sheet;

Family Name:
Primary Character Name:
Appearance: (picture or words)
Personality:
Biography:

Supporting characters: (with their own appearance/personality/biography)

My own filled out character sheet will follow shortly as an example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! Co-GM here and will be playing the role of Eleanor!

r169_457x256_10230_Tudor_Queens_1_%E2%80%93_Catherine_of_Aragon_2d_portrait_queen_girl_woman_medieval_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

.:Family Name:.
Le Vermandois

.:Name:.
Petronilla Aelith of Aquitaine
"Alix"

.:Age:.

.:Physical Appearance:.
Alix has light brown hair with hazel-coloured eyes. She stands at around 5'7" and weighs 122 lbs. She has a slim figure and is described as being very healthy and athletic. She has a beauty spot on her right cheek.

.:Biography:.
Alix of Aquitaine is the younger sister of Eleanor of Aquitaine, and was born in 1125. She is a stern Roman Catholic. When Eleanor married King Louis VII of France, she accompanied her and acted as one of her ladies-in-waiting. At the French court, she met the king's cousin, Raoul le Vermandois, with whom she began an affair aged just fifteen. After just two months of their affair, Raoul divorced his first wife and married Alix. As a result of this, the couple were excommunicated by the Pope, though Louis VII intervened and managed to lift the excommunication. Alix bore her husband three children, but after the birth of their third child, they gradually grew apart. When Eleanor annulled her marriage with Louis VII and headed west to show support for Henry of Normandy, Alix decided to join her, divorcing her husband and abandoning her children.

.:Personality Traits:.
+ Loyal
+ Optimistic
+ Very friendly
+/- Sarcastic/witty
+/- Religious
- Judgmental
- Jealous
- Impatient

.:Hobbies:.
• Cooking
• Singing
• Dancing
• Reading
• Watching various sports, such as jousts

.:Supporting Characters:.

~ Raoul le Vermandois, 49
~ Ex-husband
r169_457x256_11591_Fearless_2d_illustration_concept_art_portrait_character_warrior_medieval_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

~ Isabelle le Vermandois, 9
~ Daughter
640x640_6352_Medieval_Sucks_2d_portrait_girl_child_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

~ Ralph le Vermandois, 7
~ Son
Boy-Eating-Porridge.jpg

~ Eleanor le Vermandois, 3
~ Daughter
images

Hello there, thank you for the application :)

Aelith's an interesting character of the times certainly and I'm very pleased to have her about for the rp. Equally, if you want to play her husband as well, players are more than welcome to control characters in different courts, would just need a similar biography/personality for him.

Any questions feel free to ask, we're definitely chugging ahead with the rp, so unless I say otherwise, don't worry about us having closed or giving up.

Does remind me I need to get cracking on my own sheet though!

Alright, I will start working on a cs for him as well!

r169_457x256_11591_Fearless_2d_illustration_concept_art_portrait_character_warrior_medieval_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

.:Family Name:.
Le Vermandois

.:Name:.
Raoul le Vermandois

.:Age:.

.:Physical Appearance:.
Raoul has long blonde hair and dark green eyes. He stands at about 6'1", rather tall for his era, and weighs 180 pounds. He is tall and muscular, and is described as being the 'ideal soldier' by his cousin Louis VII. He has stubble, as he chooses not to keep a beard, and dons a red cape in battle as opposed to the French's blue.

.:Biography:.
Raoul le Vermandois is the posthumous son of Hugh Magnus le Vermandois, who in turn was the son of Henry I of France, thus making him a cousin to the current king of France, Louis VII. Raoul served as the seneschal of France, and was married to Eleonore of Blois, also making him the brother-in-law of the current king of England, Stephen. In 1142, he began an affair with Alix of Aquitaine, who he later married after divorcing his first wife. As a result of this, the couple were excommunicated by the Pope, though Louis VII intervened and managed to lift the excommunication. After the birth of his third child with Alix, they slowly grew apart and divorced her in 1151. He remarried to Laurette of Flanders.

.:Personality Traits:.
+ Loyal
+ Patient
+ Has a strong sense of honour and justice
+/- Warmonger
- Aggressive
- Merciless/ruthless

.:Hobbies:.
• Fighting
• Jousting
• Keeping mistresses
• Writing poetry
• Keeping pets

.:Supporting Characters:.

~ Petronilla Aelith "Alix" of Aquitaine, 26
~ Ex-wife
r169_457x256_10230_Tudor_Queens_1_%E2%80%93_Catherine_of_Aragon_2d_portrait_queen_girl_woman_medieval_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

~ Laurette of Flanders, 30
~ Wife
800x1069_10425__Message_2d_fantasy_hawk_falcon_girl_jewellery_princess_renaissance_portrait_picture_image_digi.jpg

~ Hugh Felix le Vermandois, 25
~ Son, born to Eleonore
6737969b652cbce77ef657f4b927cde5.jpg

~ Isabelle le Vermandois, 9
~ Daughter, born to Alix
640x640_6352_Medieval_Sucks_2d_portrait_girl_child_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

~ Ralph le Vermandois, 7
~ Son, born to Alix
Boy-Eating-Porridge.jpg

~ Eleanor le Vermandois, 3
~ Daughter, born to Alix
images

Stephen, King of England
Family Name
House of Blois

Name
Stephen, King of England

Physical Appearance

Biography
Stephen was the third son of Stephen of Blois, and was the nephew of Henry I of England. He became the wealthiest person living in Henry's kingdom besides from the king himself. After his uncle died without a legitimate male heir, Stephen and his brother Henry travelled to England and claimed the throne before Henry's daughter Matilda was able to. Much of his reign consisted of war with his cousin. His heir was his eldest legitimate son Eustace.

Supporting Characters
- BROTHER: Theobald II of Champagne (62)
- BROTHER: Henry of Winchester (53)
- WIFE: Maud of Boulogne (47)
- SON: Gervase of Blois (38)
- SON: Eustace IV of Boulogne (23)
- DAUGHTER: Marie of Blois (19)
- SON: William of Blois (15)
Eustace IV, Count of Boulogne
Family Name
House of Blois

Name
Eustace IV, Count of Boulogne

Physical Appearance

Biography
Eustace was the eldest legitimate son of King Stephen, and the heir to the throne of England.

Supporting Characters
- FATHER: Stephen, King of England (56)
- MOTHER: Maud of Boulogne (47)
- BROTHER: Gervase of Blois (38)
- SISTER: Marie of Blois (19)
- BROTHER: William of Blois (15)

Theobald II, Count of Champagne
Family Name
House of Blois

Name
Theobald II, Count of Champagme

Physical Appearance

Biography
As the second son of Stephen of Blois, he grew up as a powerful warlord who became the Count of Champagne in 1125. When his brother Stephen inherited the throne of England from their uncle Henry I of England, Theobald allied himself to the French king Louis VII. When Louis VII's cousin Raoul le Vermandois attempted to divorce his wife, who happened to be Theobald's sister, Theobald rebelled and went to war with the king. This resulted in Champagne being conquered in 1144 when Louis VII burned down his city. Since his brother refused to send his armies to help him defeat Louis VII, Theobald submitted to Louis, although he secretly plotted to rebel again.

Supporting Characters
- BROTHER: Stephen, King of England (56)
- BROTHER: Henry of Winchester (53)
- WIFE: Matilda of Carinthia (52)
- DAUGHTER: Marie of Champagne (27)
- SON: Henry of Champagne (24)
- SON: Theobald V of Blois (22)
- DAUGHTER: Isabella of Champagne (20)
- SON: Stephen of Sancerre (18)
- SON: William of the White-Hands (17)
- DAUGHTER: Adela of Champagne (13)

WIP

Hello there, thank you for the application :)

Aelith's an interesting character of the times certainly and I'm very pleased to have her about for the rp. Equally, if you want to play her husband as well, players are more than welcome to control characters in different courts, would just need a similar biography/personality for him.

Any questions feel free to ask, we're definitely chugging ahead with the rp, so unless I say otherwise, don't worry about us having closed or giving up.

Does remind me I need to get cracking on my own sheet though!
Are you still alive? There's not much activity going on, I was really looking forwards to this rp :/