The Library

Rendezvous Crash

The choice to wait it out would pay off. Through the sounds of the ape-monsters bouncing and clawing the interiors could be considered nerve-wrecking, they did not find the cellar. Soon, the noises left the building, and the floors would be clear to move out. These monsters were not capable of an organised sweep, and with the limited number of men following, the librarians and their fat catch had no further trouble to escape the city.

::End of Mission::

Sandwalker by Night

It was a difficult dilemma for Eowyn as well. Not so much for her spirit, as though it did not say so explicitly, judging from it's raised chin and disapproving "Tsch." Escaping it's mouth, Sleipnir had no issue leaving the cubs behind.

"How can we... Take them with us?" Eowyn asked. She hardly thought three little bears would sit tight on her centaur form, and with the temperature as it was, she couldn't let a cold-blooded spirit expose itself more than Quartz already had. "If only Charles were still here, we might manage... But I don't think I can carry them all."

Wanted: Liaison

"Boss-men expect this sort of practice from me," Sigmund raised his brow at Ilsa, as she spoke up about his methods. "I'm not stopping you if you fancy being lumped in with my type, I just thought your career was a little more promising than strong-arm." Sigmund hinted, though the subtlety was lost on the woman as she commanded her powers to immobilise the officer following her by doing something that Sigmund could only describe to as putting the man's nervous system on fire.

Violence was his toolbox, but Ilsa's method seemed plain cruel. Sigmund eyed the convulsing officer down on the ground. The rook might be crude, but this was plain torture. "You're a scary woman, anyone ever tell you that?" Sigmund spoke lowly. "This is going to be the dirtiest of loose ends we leave when the bastard wakes up and remembers this. Better tell us what you know, before they start picking up on who is in town. They'll follow the breadcrumbs all the way to the Library, if this keeps going."

Last edited:
Wanted: Liaslon
Ilsa let out a light chuckle, "Oh, is there something so wrong with being lumped in with you big brute?" Still in the form of a pudgy balding police officer, she winked at him before turning to Mime. "Now, can I get my body back? I don't even want to know what you have been doing with my face on like that. Next time let me know first, or you might end up like that guy." She gestured to the man quivering on the floor in pain.

"Now, what I was able to skim off these guys was that we really need to be looking into the sewers. Give these men their credit, they came to the same conclusion I have. The person, or thing, doing this is most likely using the sewers to travel, and may very well be connected to the rat problem." She let out a hearty sigh. "Now lets get heading towards the closest sewer access." She couldn't help but think of her lovely long robes dragging in literal shit.​

Last edited:
Memories of Soule
Collab between Fallenreaper, Alphakoka & Kestrel

Vignar gave a nod to Emily after he took the medical supplies off her and started to slowly tend to his wounds as she went off to check the pulley. He fumbled with the bandage and would end with a rather sloppy bandaging unless he was helped. Afterward, he groaned as he stood and dragged himself to where Emily was to see if there's anything he could help with. Not exactly the most conversational person, Vignar bluntly offered his help before adding a concern right afterward. "Ah, I have a question if you don't mind answering… why exactly is the dragon matriarch seemed to be angry with you?"

Emily looked at him, her eyes flittered to where Cerberus' image settled in the sand and laid. The spirit had been mercifully quiet the whole day as she tugged the rope connected to the crank once or twice. At Vignar's words, she lifted her eyes and glanced at him. "The Mission Mother of the Dunes, we were originally sent out to see what happened to a team on a mission to capture a drake. They never returned and the Library wanted to know what happened. Our second task was capturing one alive if possible. Early in, we were ambushed and Ramza, our team leader, was nearly torn to pieces. I made a choice, my teammate's life or the drake's. You can guess which I chose."

Her eyes seemed lose their focus in the memory as she recollected the details, Cerberus' middle head fixed on her and made her skin bump with awareness. Emily took a deep breath before continuing, "It turns out the drakes weren't just animals acting on instinct and misguidance, but her children. An infant who didn't know better. The earlier team sent were supposed to prevent it, it was why they were kept alive, but they were too late when they arrived. We met the dragon and Cerberus was the only one that could understand her, speaking a language none of us knew. I made the mistake of trusting my spirit, even with his grim view on death. I don't recall over half what I repeated but afterwards, she set the caravan on fire and over a third of them died. Men, women, and even a few children all screamed while being burned alive. Because I trusted Cerberus, I killed them… I won't make that mistake again."

Cerberus tensed, his figure rose and padded to the pair's direction. His voice rippled through both Fran's and Vignar's spirits when he spoke, knowing Emily would not relay his own words. After our last encounter, I don't think reason would've worked now. She was far too gone in grief to listen like my own. Her children, however, will suffer the consequences if she rages war with the world. An ending I've sadly seen before and faced myself.

"That's… So sad." Fran whimpered, not knowing better words to use for all her recommendations as orator. She'd seen deaths as statistics before, but the guilt she could hear Emily bear tore at her heart. She clenched her fists to fight back the tears, causing too much salves to slip from her hands onto Diane's wounds. It was a good thing the poor girl was unconscious.

"Oh, no!" She yelped, as Fran half-hazardly began to try and rub the spilled medicine off of Diane with the blankets. . Though it wasn't as if she could focus doing so well. Fran's shaking hands had wasted quite some of their supplies.
Hah, you should've pursued and killed the dragon, Vignar's spirit growled.

Vignar frowned to himself, "I..see," he said, looking at Emily and Fran. "Still, why would she send us away to this place then?"

DOESN'T MATTER, REST, RECOVER, WE HAVE A DRAGON TO HUNT! Dovahkiin shouted.

Emily bent down, deciding to help Fran some, than answered Vignar. "I don't know, Vignar. I don't even know how she knew of Soule, which she hissed clear as day, and it seemed she knew more than just its name. It worries me of how or why… Soule is a closed off community. Not even the Hub has complete information on it. The only reasons they know it exists is because of trade and the fact most the youth end up working for the Library."

Once, with a little help, Diane's wounds had been treated, Fran sat upright and swatted the sweat off of her forehead. It'd gotten really cold, as she offered Diane back up to Emily for the rook to carry.

"Emily, can I ask you… Where we are going?" Fran said, having finally calmed herself a little, "It seems like you are following some sort of direction… Not that I'm complaining of course."

Emily reached out for Diane's still figure and lifted in order to slouch over her back. The rook pulled the rope to secure the two woman at the waist and at the shoulders, crisscrossing the ropes until she was certain she wouldn't lose her passed out teammate. While she double checked the ropes, the woman answered casually, "Downward. Soule is below us and built into the cliff face where there's little entrances into the actual homes. I grew up learning to climb before I could walk and it's a skill I'm very adapt at. How are your climbing skills?"

"Not so good." Fran admitted.

"It will be fine, Fran." Emily tried to sound more encouraging than she felt inside.

Emily had chosen not to scold or reprimand the woman's sloppiness at wasting the supplies, namely as they all had a lot on their minds. Shouting wouldn't do anyone a bit of good though frustration seeped in her core and likely showed on the outside. Over and over, her mind kept thinking about what the Dragoness had said and inwardly the dread had started to flood her insides. What sort of test would she face when she finally got down there? Emily recalled the sneer words of her home pass through the Dune mother's teeth followed by the werecat's pitied expression, namely when the beast had been so spiteful to her earlier and only at the words uttered by the dragon did that sudden change. Something that made Emily's middle harden like a rock thinking about. She hoped this mission didn't end in worse tragedy than others before this...else this might finally shatter her and leave her empty finally.

"The cliff side?" Vignar breathed, "Why there?"

"According to legend, my people were plagued by beasts in the desert for centuries until one small child followed the trail of a poisonous, double headed lizard and discovered Soule's birth place. Since then, we lived alongside them and the Shif, a fanged underground land fish, growing an immunity over time and co-existing. It also provides protection against the harsher sand storms in this region. If you haven't noticed, those domes are cracked and beaten. Not suitable to protect against tons of sand pouring in around you and risk being buried alive. In addition it helps keep our village isolated from strangers who don't know or understand Soule's ways," Emily said as she turned about, her body crouched down by the crank to check its function for the climb. She tugged at the rope feeling it hold under her strength surprisingly well, even when it stressed from the pressure applied.

"That seems a bit…" Vignar started before stopping and shook his head. It was far for him to comment on other settlements' eccentricities. That they actually received safety from them probably made Soule a 'kinder'... A brief glance at Emily and Vignar dropped that train of thought.

Fran was more than a little nervous about climbing into an isolated village exclusive to people who had adapted to poison, but the looming night was more than sufficient of a threat to motivate her as it crawled higher up her skin with every passing second. She watched Emily closely, but was a little worried about Vignar's condition. "Can you climb, Vignar?" Fran asked the bishop. "And how do we get Diane down?" Fran sincerely wondered. Surely Emily be strong enough to carry her, but could they get Diane down so easily?

"If I take it slow and nothing happened," Vignar replied to Fran. He was wondering the same, but seeing the crank, the bishop guessed that it was likely that Emily were going to use it to lower the unconscious woman down.

In the distance, the landscape seemed to begin to move. Breezes were beginning to move the piled up sand in small doses, lifting them up briefly before laying down again. It hardly looked like the kind of storm that would dent rock, but Fran had read a little about the desert… And the sight had her a little worried.

"When is it ready?" she asked Emily. "I have a feeling we have to go soon."

"Almost," Emily said as she answered, her eyes flickered to spot the same warning signs Fran had, "Right now we're running out of time."

She ripped out several feet of rope and handed it to Vignar, then trailed to Fran. "I'll have to carry her down with me. The bad part, this usually takes four people and all them good climbers. Out of the three of us, I'm the most experienced and likely in the best shape. So I'll be carrying most the weight, however, I need both of you down there before me and one of you inside a home to help pull Diane inside. The winds will be starting shortly. So, Vignar, take that end, tie it around your waists and then you start down. You'll be establishing our path. Fran follow him close, taking the same path he does. Keep a few feet length between you two on the way so if someone falls, the other and I will have time to brace and anchor you until you regain a grip. I'll follow after one of you are firmly inside a home. Near the door, there's a hook and line, including a belt. Attach the belt is first thing you do once inside and that will keep you from falling out when you lean out to help the other in."

Fran nodded in understanding, even though she had to run Emily's instructions through her head repeatedly to actually comprehend them. Like with the medicine, she felt her hands tremble with every pull of the rope. She was worried she wouldn't tie the ropes tight enough, or descend safely. The idea of having to regain a grip itself was frightening enough for her. Fran tried her best to copy Emily and Vignar.

"Are you ready?" Fran asked Vignar, a little concerned still. "If anything happens, I'll do my best to help." She promised her fellow bishop, but Fran was not too sure if she actually could.

Vignar gave a nod to Emily and took the rope from her. Tying the end of the rope around him twice, to make sure it won't came off, Vignar took a few steps back as he judged the amount of rope between him and Fran. "As I'll ever be," he replied to the female Bishop as he peered over the cliff and checked for footing and their destination. "This will be an interesting experience at the very least."

Finding what he believed would be an easy path for him to traverse, the bishop cautiously started his descent. He had to stop several times to assure his bearings and slipped his footing just as many times, although his enhanced strength gave him a lot more leeway on such mistakes it was still a nerve wracking experience.

Emily watched Vignar. Her eyes flickered and followed his path with ease, noting the problem immediately as the wind started to blow across the open area. He was heading too far one direction. Granted the path was safer but it left a gap about two to three full grown men wide, too far for the bishop to safely leap over to without falling to his death. Gingerly leaning over the cliff edge, Emily's voice shouted to her teammate as she cupped her mouth to enhance her voice through the building storm. "Vignar, you're heading left too much. Seek some holdings to the right else getting to the entrance will be tricky."

By this time, Fran should've been ready to head down leaving Emily alone.

Vignar glanced up where Emily was after hearing her voice before looking down to his left and right. Noticing that he was indeed heading too much, he gave back a nod before trying to shimmy right. Finally, he reached the entrance and heaved himself in, where he momentarily laid down on the floor with trembling hands and knees. Then he remembered Emily's instruction and moved to wear one of the belt on the wall, afterward he peered outside and waved. He tried to yell but his voice was lost against the wind.

PATHETIC, A voice echoed in his head.

Scaling the rock wall was an excercise no kinder to Fran as it was to Vignar. She had killed her nerves, but couldn't will herself to be skilled at climbing. She fared far slower than Vignar and the gap between them widened. She heard the man yelling, but couldn't make out what he was saying. Not that it mattered, there was nothing Fran could do for Vignar. She could barely handle herself. Tightening her focus, Fran continued to descend. Slowly, but surely.

Emily was relieved when Vignar made it into the hole and, she hoped, followed her instruction to strap himself in. He had done well for his first climb though it was likely to be his last. Thankfully the sand storm would've been enough to chase many of the dyhra deep into the homes and so, unless he was foolish enough to explore instead of help, the chances of him being attack was fairly low. For some reason the the lizards had learn centuries ago to fear the storms though no one knew why or bothered to learn, merely they all accepted it to be nature.

Watching Fran's slower climb edge only down a fourth the way, the wind above started to whip harder and faster. The sand hissed across the almost flat surface on the cliff top while the wind tried to shove the rook off. Instinctively and stubbornly, Emily dug her heel into the sand only feel herself move an inch against her will. Her hand tightened about the rope until it felt like it would burn her palm, rubbing on the skin and making it red, causing her to grind her teeth harder. She wasn't going to last much longer up here unless, forcing her to react much sooner than she wanted. Wasting no more time, Emily turn her back to the edge and cautiously lowered down, her gauntlets summoned over her arms to use as makeshift hooks.

It when she just gotten her legs over the edge, when the wind gust grew in strength. The sand kicked up into her face causing her body to fly backwards. Nothing was between her and plummeting to the bottom as gravity took hold, much faster then expected to her surprise. Impulsively her arm flail out, jerking back and thrusting forward, the blades making a loud sound when the steel grinded across the rock face.

"Shit!" Emily cursed as her right shoved forward and smacked right into the cliff side.

It only bounced off sending her skittering to the location Vignar had mistakenly wandered towards earlier. Her fingers scrambled to recover, their flesh torn and bleeding with each failed grip, while the rope did little to stop her rapid fall. Her bare feet stung when she tried to use them and only were cut on the rocks, sending a few minor pebbles to scatter over Fran when Emily barely missed colliding into her. Pain roared through her shoulder when abruptly her fall came to a full stop, her arm strained when it was forced to hold her body in place. Unsure what had saved her, the rook looked up to see her gauntlet had managed to wedge itself firmly in an oversize gap and now she hung from it dangerously just several feet under Fran.
'Don't gawk there all day. Start climbing… Cerberus' voice spoke gruffly into her head, nearly causing Emily to jump out of her skin. Her eyes spotted him outside the corner, her heart racing, and standing on air to glare at her. 'I very much doubt your luck will hold out so...MOVE! NOW!

Unable to explain what happened, Emily's mind snapped from her shock and her feet started to dislodge the stick fast gauntlet. It would take a bit of time before she managed it, unsure how this happened, but not questioning it too much.

"Emily!" Fran shouted the rook's name, as she stretched out her hand towards the woman. Yet the winds were ruthless. They picked up speed and the young woman with it. Fran's single-handed grip couldn't compete with the force of nature. She couldn't reach for Emily and now she couldn't even reach for the rope. Fran plummeted down, much like Emily before her.

Vignar was surprised to see his two team-mates lose their grip and started falling. They were both too far for him to reach safely and the wind blew them away from the shelter. As the male Bishop registered it in his mind, the rope tied to his waist tightened from Fran's momentum and started to drag him. It was only the safety latch and the close distance to the frame that he didn't end up falling and managed to grab the side of the entrance with a hand.

Vignar's grip was the only thing that kept Fran from falling to her death. When she smacked against the rough rock wall, it felt like something cracked inside of her body. The sandstorm masked but didn't muffle the loud thump, again and again, as Fran was torn off and slammed back into the stones like the sandstorm's personal plaything. Desperately she tried to claw at a hold, tearing the skin off her hands as she did. When Fran finally managed to latch on and dragged herself back against the wall, part of her wished Vignar had cut the rope loose. Sharp pains coursed through her, and she could swear she had broken a rib. She could see blood for her eyes, as it mixed with tears. Fran couldn't scream, she could barely hold on. She remained on the wall stifled. Crippled with fear..

Emily's heart stopped for a moment, her fingers ached and bleeding, evidence of her rapid climb down to reach Fran. It wasn't easy with the wind batting her about and threatening to toss her from the very wall, her body literally lifted off causing her bite back a startled cry. She didn't want Vignar to assume she was going to fall too. The sand and grit found itself way into her throat, scratching the inside and preventing her from shouting out something to sooth Fran. The storm had rushed in faster than the rook expected making it harder to adapt while she slowly continued her way down.

Inch by inch it felt like hours passed against the howling winds, Emily's muscles flaring in protest against the ill practiced motion. Her head tilted so often to estimate her location and squint through the stinging sands, noting where Vignar was, still using her claws to keep her fingers from bleeding. She was winded and sweating, her body sore thanks to the quick pace when she reached right beside the bishop. He was busy using himself as an anchor causing her to have to remove Diana herself.

Angling her claws, her fingers gripped the crease within the rock, testing until she was sure it was firm enough to hold her weight, when she let the gauntlets vanish. Her body jerked and her teeth bit into her lip, strangling a cry. Emily focused, letting the smoke reform and become her knife. She pushed herself enough to make a small space where her arm could fit. The blade was ideal to allow her something to dangle from and still free hand, allowing her to both rebalance Vignar then swing Diana into the gap. Freeing her up to retrieve Fran.

She stabbed the blade in next to her fingers before shifting both hands to grip the handle, her left leg braced against the rocky surface. Being pretty much on the door's edge had its perks and her right hand cautiously reached out to seize Vignar's arm. Her eyes looked at him once, waiting a few seconds for him to brace, before fingers wrapped about it tightly and suddenly jerking it abruptly to the door's inside. She only hoped he had time enough to realize what was going to happen. It seemed-even when her companion's lives hung on a thread- Emily still refused to request Cerberus' aid revealing how broken her trust in her spirit had become.

Emily's help couldn't come at a better time as Vignar couldn't recover his balance on his own. Her hand helped Vignar steady himself and he nodded to her in appreciation before being pushed back into the room.

When Vignar finally rebalanced himself, her hand released him. The one she was dangling from started to feel the stress of ach spread through the muscles, causing her to grit her teeth and ignore it. Slowly she started to push with her right leg making her swing to and fro. Once, twice and a third time she started to move closer to the hold before she re-summoned her dagger. Black smoke wisped and twisted, forming once more into a solid weapon within her free hand. On the last push to the hole, Emily made one sudden jerk and she slashed the blade across her chest. It easily severed the ropes while she swing the unconscious bishop into the doorway.

Wasting little time and weight off her back, Emily started to once again move down the rock face. Without Diana on her back, the rook easily made her way down despite the buffing wind sending sand into her face and roaring in her ears. It took some navigating to reach Fran but at last, coming beside her, Emily reached down and snagged the Librarian's hand. With all the strength she had, the rook lifted her up, pulling the woman onto her shoulder where she secured her. Once more the rook moved upward as she reached the hole, she reached out for Vignar to quickly pull her up and in. Which the bishop did.

"Thanks," Vignar whispered as they all caught their breath. "Should we rest here for a bit?"

Last edited:
Memories of Soule​

Emily

When Vignar finally pulled her inside, Emily's legs felt like jello. She took two steps as her knees locked and limbs crumbled, her body shoved upon her hands and knees, leaving her gasped for breath. Her nose was clogged, throat painfully scratchy and head dizzy by each movement she tried to make. Unable to do anything more, she slumped over onto her side, ignoring the fact Fran still needed medical attention.

On hearing Vignar's whispered question, Emily let out a raspy laugh. "Yeah, I think so."

Slowly she pushed herself upward and tried to slide Fran off her back as gently as possible. It wasn't easy because each delicate movement took more effort than her careless one, finally peeling her off. "Can you get these two situated while I check around and see if I can patch them up again?"

Her breath was panting heavily, her muscles screaming. Gingerly she hobbled toward the hole and jerked the thick blanket over the exit, sealing against the howling wind outside. After making sure the they were spared from the punishing winds and heavy sands, Emily's mind finally noted of something strange. The room was empty save for them.

Her head swiveled about to see the interior, absorbing the scene. Directly across from her was a cold hearth, the cut tumble weed and small plant ashes remaining in the tray, built into the smooth, stone wall. She knew chutes and cut tunnels lead there smoke outwards to the surface where winds swept it away. Still examining the cots, made from animal bone and stretched skin over the top were fitting beds and sitting in the corner ready to be used. Other things were scattered about the room, evidence of life, causing her shift the nearest cot out for Fran followed by another for Diana.

"These should work and they should be safe here." Emily managed to get out as she shifted the bunks.

Sandwalker by Night​

Nathair

Nathair, still hunched beside Eowyn, raised his hand to his neck back. His fingers scratched the fine and thick hairs against his back, his hand furling briefly to fist within his thick tangles. He inhaled, doubting that Charles was going to manage to make it back in time. After all, unless the man had the worse sense of directions, he would've been here by now. Personally, Nathair wouldn't have been surprised if the Knight had went back down the trail and went back to the nice warm hub.

He curled his left leg underneath himself and crisscross them, sitting beside Eowyn. His voice sounded glum and negative, admitted the truth. "I don't expect Charles to come around in time, if at all."

"I can take at least two, maybe three if I increase my size. Though I won't be as mobile, but I'll be warmer because I'm bigger." Quartz spoke, suspecting the reason Eowyn didn't include him was because she feared his condition. Granted he wasn't enthusiastic about going out in to the cold and slithering through it, especially since he could grow so large and the trail was so narrow. One careless movement, and they all could end up tumbling off the trail edge.

Wanted: Liaison (Mime)
Mime giggled to Sigmund's reaction before tidying herself up and catching up to the Rook with a cheerful smirk on her borrowed face. Upon meeting the transformed Ilsa and what 'he' did however, quickly wiped the smirk off her face. She listened to Ilsa's brief explanation to 'his' finding from the police. Shrugging, Mime approached Ilsa before catching on to Ilsa's hesitation to go to the sewer and the reason from how 'he' looked at her robe. It was the exact same look that Arlette has whenever she don't want her clothes being dirtied. The spirit stepped back.

"Sayyy, if you don't want to get dirty, this would just help," Mime said, a mischievous smirk forming on her stolen lips. "You know?"

Wanted: Liaison (Arlette)

In the mean time, Arlette was left behind occupied by her own thought. Her attention was brought back to reality when a stray cat jumped in front of her. With a slightly reddened face, the holder looked around for the others and realized that she was alone. A sense of panic crept up from the base of her spine. Her breath quickened as her brain asked questions. Did the police take them? Did they run away? Are they going to be wanted? Why is she left behind? Are they all going to jail?

Arlette let out a small whimper escape her lips before hugging herself. Panicking won't help... She have to find Mime first. But where to try first?

Wanted: Liaison​

Sigmund just shrugged off Ilsa's comment. It was better to keep crazy at an arm's length, he figured. Though Sigmund longed to having Vologhn and Bishop on the team instead of the current composition. Though Ilsa's information was useful, at least.

The rook attempted to stay out of the bickering Mime seemed to want to provoke as well. Even if part... Well a lot of him, wanted to smack the spirit up the head. "Sewers it is." Sigmund prompted instead. The mission was enough of a hot mess as it was. He deliberately didn't mention the absence of Mime's holder either. Dislike for the pair Sigmund might have, he still had a mind to keep at least the girl from harm. Something of which there'd be far less above the surface than below it.

Finding an entrance to the sewer was hardly a challenge. Neither was pulling off the lid if you had the strength of a rook. "I'll close it up behind us." Sigmund told Ilsa and Mime, letting them descend into the gutters first.

The sewers of Olivia Town had still not been purged. There was something peculiar about the water streams, more than the suffocating stench that drifted on it. It gave off an azure glow, of which just a little exposure too came hand in hand with a sense of nausea. The very substance mixed in with the sewage had once been used by the rebel-faction to discourage pursuers, but it'd only gotten worse since... The closer a holder would get, the more nauseous they would feel. Mime, however... Would not just feel his stomach turn, but feel the atmosphere violate something far deeper.

Memories of Soule​

"How much... Further?" Fran complained weakly. Her teary eyes had difficulty making out the shapes of her surroundings. The pain that swelled throughout her entire body made, which at the same time was too numb to move properly. Had she not been a holder, she would be dead. Right now, Fran wasn't sure why she struggled to go on. The will she'd summoned earlier seemed to have been beaten out of her. There was only so much stress she could muster. And it was visible, to vignar and Emily, from Fran's blood-red eyes and bruised skin, to the way she lacked the will or strength to even properly lay on the bed. She hadn't moved an inch from when she was put there. If her chest wasn't still heaving heavily, she could be mistaken for dead.

The hollowed out cavern was hardly any more lively. Though it had housed people in the recent past, Emily and Vignar would find it was now abandoned... And hastily so, as became all the more evident as they would study their surroundings. Lids were left of pots, scattered across the grounds. The bunks weren't made up. Shutters between spaces to protect them from sand were ripped off or open. Whatever had happened, the previous inhabitants hadn't left this place in peace.

Sandwalker by Night​

Eowyn hesitated, but hadn't forgotten Quartz' lecture. "Then, I will take one and go ahead. If you can take the other two, I'll be a beacon to follow." She suggested, looking out towards Sleipnir. The spirit hated the idea, she could tell, but they had fulfilled their mission. All there was left for them was to return home safely.

A chill rattled down Eowyn's spine when she heard Nathair's predicament. Did Charles' absence truly mark his death? "Let's keep a look-out for Charles on the way down." Eowyn added to her suggestion. She didn't want to believe their companion had already bitten the dust.

As planned, Eowyn fused with Sleipnir. Twisting her upper body, she picked up one of the struggling cubs and put it on her back. Though Eowyn was forced to keep it down, as it tried to claw and worm it's way out of her grip. She hoped Quartz and Nathair would fare better, as she simultaneously resisted Sleipnir's urge to simply toss the tiny bear into the cold of the night. For as close as she got to her spirit's feelings when in this form, there was still much distance between them...

Threading down the rocky mountain paths, Eowyn, Quartz and Nathair would hear a faint echo of something else that was on the move. "That wasn't the wind, was it?" Eowyn inquired, a little unnerved still.

Last edited:
Ilsa gave Mime a look that may have been near about lethal before giving up on trying to get her form back for now. She silently began descending into the sewers, doing her best to keep herself from vomiting. It was absolutely vile. After all of this was over, she was definitely going to get some more practical clothing. She could tell that in this line of work, her dress-like robes were just not practical. Once inside, she waited for the others to follow. The only light she could see was the down right disturbing glow coming from the waste.

Memories of Soule​

Emily

Emily's sight stared at Fran's all too stil body. She had seen this before when a villager had had enough, their lives too painful to exist anymore and all their mind wanted was peace. It was a bitter sweet victory in her mind as the holder's teeth bit into her bottom lip, unsure how to make the woman keep fighting past the torment. The words echoing in her head were of little help in the situation and trusting her instincts were out of the question. They had already gotten her into enough trouble as it was.

Feeling the frustration edge back in her body language, her eyes took stock of her surroundings. Though it sounded strange, neatness was bred into every Soule inhabitant from birth. It was because one wrong placement of needed items could mean the difference between saving another's life or ending it, each villager depending on each other to survive. This house was a natural disaster by every Soule inhabitant's measure.

"No… what happened here? And where are the dyhra? They should be here even with this place being a mess, in fact swarming for an easy and cozy place to nest." Emily's hand rubbed her neck nervously. Inside, he knew why the lizards, poisonous reptiles, weren't around. If there was a struggle they would've scattered unless they felt trapped. Tamed as they might seem to outsiders, these beasts were still wild animals and reacted in such a manner. "Vignar, keep a sharp eye out for anything small and scaly. However, whatever you do, don't kill it or let it bite you. Its bite will kill you in under an hour but they aren't very brave if they never scented you before so just stomp your foot will make it scatter or swat it away. If you kill it, just likely get you executed if you're lucky."

Her words showed how deeply her village and the lizards respected each other, their histories entwined through a grisly ritual burying tons of skeletons into the very foundations. Gingerly she started to lightly tread about the room where her foot reached out to disrupt shattered pottery, lids, and more among the wreckage. Something skirted from a toppled pot and vanished into a hole nearby. The sudden blur caused Emily to jump, her steps pedaling back into Vignar suddenly. Her figure nudged him before hissing sloppy apology as she twisted about to examine the damage she caused.

Sandwalker by Night

Nathair/Quartz
Quartz gave Nathair a stern look at his negative attitude, noting Eowyn's reaction. Immediately he tried to ease the likely worry budding within her. "I'm sure Charles is fine. He's a holder and we don't die that easy from a little chill, so I'm sure he's down the mountain waiting for us. We didn't exactly leave an ideal invite to the cave after all."

Without much more to add, Quartz braced himself against the cold ground and started to shed. His skin peeling back layer by layer as he scratched it off by rubbing hard against the rock wall. It ripped off and vanished, exposing the larger body underneath each time. Finally he was about the size of the lava horse, which Eowyn had finally merged once more with, her body flinched when she tried to settle the small cub upon her back. Nathair's eyes whipped over to spot it and guilt washed over his face, uncertain what to do.

'It's likely the bear cub scratching her. She's a strong girl my boy.' Quartz insisted before his wings began to shepherd the two cubs close to him. Nathair watched Eowyn until she started out then scooped up his rope and started to make makeshift harasses to bind the cubs upon Quartz's narrow back. The bears wiggled and squirmed, desperately trying to free themselves from the man's grip. It took the spirit's effort, his head twisted about to pin the first until Nathair secure it and repeated with the last. Still struggling, they bit and clawed at the serpent, Nathair edged onto the very back before they followed Eowyn's lead.

It seemed trouble had found them again when the echoing sounds started again. Nathair and Quartz exchanged looks, the man snapped his head to Eowyn's nervous question. "No, I don't think so. I think we better move or we're going to be ambushed."

Out of all of them, Nathair felt the most exposed being at the rear causing Quartz's eyes to seek the source fast. His fangs already started to swirl the wind around them readying his Aztec Winds for a counter attack should something appear. It would take a simple matter of compressing with his jaws to become Gale Burst though it was a risky move.

Sandwalker by Night​

Even for a living torch in the night, Eowyn was cold. As the winds swarmed between Quartz' fangs, Eowyn's eyes squinted together to try and pry into the distance. She'd not tied the bear to her horseback like Quartz, rather she was pressing it against her body with her arms. Carefully, with the bear-backpack held tight, Eowyn threaded forward. She could feel Sleipnir's resistance, even though her spirit did not speak to her no more. It's hooves ablaze, they left prints that would glow for a split second in the mountain, but not a word.

As she moved closer, Eowyn could finally see what was moving. It was no monster; it was Charles. He'd been reduced to a crawl and his face saw as pale as the snow on the mountain itself. Eowyn rushed towards the holder, but he had collapsed before they could even exchange a single word. Blood stained the back of his jacket. Charles had quickly bound a wound he had received on his back; he was punctured as if by a massive spear. Yet whatever had attacked Charles, seemed to have let him go, as there was no attacker to be seen.

"Nathair, Quartz, I found Charles!" Eowyn warned, but her heart was pounding in her chest. "He's badly hurt, we have to take him down the mountain." She said... But as things were, they might have to choose between their comrades and the cubs. As whatever was moving in the distance, echoes of something large crawling about were still carried on the wind.

Memories of Soule
Vignar looked around the cave for food or water, he needed something to quench his dry throat. He heard Emily's warning to watch for some scaled thing and gave her an affirmative, however her following sentences had him bolt upright in alarm and started to look around for any sign of the critter. There was a bout of mocking laughter before Emily bumped into him. In return, he also looked at where Emily was facing and only saw various pieces of ceramics.

"What happened?" he croaked.
Mime seemingly deflated as both Lisa and Sigmund chose to ignore the spirit and jumped into the sewer. The spirit turned to whine to her holder before remembering that Arlette was still in the back alley, she prepared to contact her but ultimately decided not to as they were going into the sewer. She could contact her later if she's nearing their range limit, but in the mean time, she'd have to tolerate being separate and sticking with the two no-fun adults. Slumping her shoulders, Mime quietly followed after the older Holders. The doppelganger initially complained when the stench grew worse and they all started to feel nauseated, however she grew quieter the deeper they went and by the time they reached the bottom, Mime's copied face was green and she was shivering. Any attempt to communicate with her would then be met with the spirit retching out into the glowing sewage. It took awhile until Mime gained control of her gag reflect once again, even if she looked awfully unwell.

"This isn't right." Sigmund said with raised upper lip. It wasn't just the stench of the sewers, it was as if the very atmosphere was warped into something unearthly. A single look at Mime told him the spirit had it even worse than Ilsa and him, but the way his stomach turned kept him from enjoying the sight. A sight covered facilitated almost solely by the alien light they waded through. At least the girl wasn't exposed to this mess.

Barely a few minutes in, Sigmund and the others would soon hear water splash near. Circles in it drove to their feet, telling the holders where the movements came from. "Rats." Sigmund muttered under his breath. "They know we're here."

Though his stomach twisted, Sigmund kept moving forward. Unless they wanted to continue their search above ground, they'd have to deal with whatever was down there sooner or later. Even as the rook decided to simply barge through... The librarians would soon discover that what was out there was increasing in numbers, as silhouettes of rats grew numerous within a short distance. Some even stood up, scratching the ceiling of the sewers. Like the sewage they were standing up, their eyes lit up. Some of the rats were curious, but as more drew closer, high-pitched shrieks could be heard. It was as if communicating they were with one another. Or trying to communicate something to the librarians?

Memories of Soule

The battered Fran had, unlike Vignar, not paid any attention to Emily's words. Studying the backsides of her eyelids instead, she hadn't moved the slightest. Her sense of sight closed and her sense of hearing off, Fran had not noticed the small lizard that skittered around the home until it came up close. The scaly tips of it's toes touched her arm, which swayed fecklessly across the ground. Fran didn't even care enough to open her eyes and see that strange touch belonged to a curious dyhra, trying to scale her arm.

Memories of Soule​

Emily

Emily was more rattled than she originally thought. after realizing who she had bumped into, she twisted about and apologized to make sure she hadn't caused more damage. At his question, his eyes looking from where she was had been searching, the rook answered. "A dyrah. He startled me. As a child I use to be able to tell exactly where they were but now… I'm rusty."

Head and body turned back to the scene, Emily focused on where the little devil had scrambled off to. Her was breathing heavy and her heart rate zipping, her chest thick with difficulty in breathing making her hand pull upward to her heart to check it. Trying to slow herself down back to normal while her eyes followed the trail left behind.

There were specks of red and instinctively she lowered herself, her leg crouched down to bring herself to the ground. Her finger edged out to touch the red before she bring it to her face. Immediately her eyes widened and middle tightened in sickness at realizing it was blood.

Her eyes followed them to the nearest hole but don't dare to explore, not wanting to risk a bite to the face. "This isn't good and I don't like this. I get the feeling the village isn't as safe as we originally thought. Vignar, we might need to search the corridors and see-"

Emily's thoughts stopped cold. Her eyes noted the dyhra crawling up Fran's arm, the twin heads heads surveyed her and scented the air. It flicked out tongue on one head then moments later, flicked it out one the other. It wasn't scared of the stranger and why should it be? This was its home, where it belonged. If anyone didn't belong it was Fran, Vignar and herself. Her eyes watched the lizard basking there for a moment, her body instinctively moving, as she edged toward the dyhra, carefully trying not to startle it. She whispered to Vignar. "Get an extra blanket or something, to wrap the dyhra in so it doesn't bite you."

Sandwalker by Night​

Nathair/Quartz

Quartz and Nathair were anxious. The scene was fridge, dark and something was lurking around in it. A fact neither of them enjoyed or liked within this frozen wintery land as they stood in quiet, watching Eowyn cautiously edge closer to the crumbled man. His jacket fluttered in the wind as blood stained it and his face pale in the dimly casted light, as Eowyn shouted back.

"Nathair, Quartz, I found Charles! He's badly hurt, we have to take him down the mountain." She hollered back, her

body hunched down, when Quartz slithered close.

When Eowyn revealed who the wounded was, Quartz had stopped his winds, his eyes spotting their fellow holder. It made the serpent eat his earlier words and partly wishing they hadn't let Charles go out on his own. His head twisted about to see the invisible source of the howling winds and crawling enemy, Nathair still struggling to keep the two remaining cubs on his back. Knowing Eowyn would need to keep Charles upright, else they would have to sacrifice the infants, Quartz spoke to Eowyn. "Pass me the cub, I'll carry him. Hurry."

When Eowyn passed the cub, Quartz carefully bit into the ruff near the neck then nudged her to lead the way. It was a dangerous risk, limiting his mouth from being used as a weapon, as he eyed around for the source of the sounds.

Sandwalker by Night

Eowyn complied. It was easier to carry an unconscious Charles than the struggling cub. It was impossible to make haste, as Nathair still was holding two cubs down. Eowyn had thrown her own coat over Charles' torn one. She didn't need it for as long as she maintained her transformed state. When she looked back, Eowyn had newfound respect for her fellow knight. Very few other humans were capable of keeping two bears in tow. Nathair seemed a lot more in tune with wild animals than she thought she could ever be.

The trio slowly progressed down the snowy mountains. They moved so slowly, the cold was dangerous in and of itself. The bear cubs were slowing down. Even with their thick fur, the night was a threat to them. On that same note, Charles was growing paler and colder by the minute. Frost bit into his skin. He wouldn't last long.

The second threat became all to more real as well. The skittering they had heard before was now behind them; stalking them. For the past ten minutes, it had kept the same distance. It was abiding it's chance, it seemed. It was waiting for something to happen. For them to weaken or drop. Sleipnir's influence on Eowyn was nerve-wrecking. She knew what it wanted all too well... And her spirit would get it sooner or later. Eowyn herself couldn't utter a word. They couldn't run away with all four passengers and they couldn't split up to satisfy the spirit's lust for blood. She was the only one providing light in the darkest hours of night.

"We'll make it." Eowyn told herself, "We'll make it for sure." She repeated in an attempt to convince herself. "Just a few more hours." Eowyn looked back at Quartz and Nathair, hoping to find some reassurance.

Yet, manning the rear, Quartz and Nathair might have their eyes open for something completely different. Mere minutes ago, their stalker had began to move. The silhouette was closing in, seemingly unafraid, and for good reason. It's size, even when seen from a distance, was monstrous. A large tail towered above it; resembling a form similar to the little critter they'd caught before. It made no noises as it had earlier... With the exception of it's steps, it was dead-silent.

"It's... Coming... For me." A familiar voice muttered weakly. It was Charles, using the last inches of his strength to warn his comrades. Yet... Why would it? Why would the monster be out for his blood?

Memoirs of Soule
"A...what?" Vignar asked while giving Emily a 'no harm done' gesture.

Following Emily's observation quietly, Vignar remained in his position, still alarmed over the warning before. When the Rook whispered to him, he almost missed it but caught on and started to look for a blanket. He found one messily thrown to the floor near one of the bed, as if someone threw it away while using it. Frowning, Vignar thought what might happened but set it aside as he has a more immediate concern. Picking it up, he then passed the blanket over to Emily.

"Here," he whispered. "I don't know how to handle that."
Mime looked towards the rats, still with a sickened look etched on her face. However, she remained quiet even while the spirit wanted to say something as she simply felt too awful to say it without retching out once more. Nevertheless, the rats' chitterring seemed weird to the spirit, it felt almost as if they were talking. If she used Telepathy maybe they can interpret it? But would it work that way? Even if there're animal like spirits, they weren't really an animal, were they? Looking at the glowing sewage and then the rats, Mime decided to ask something.

Tugging the older Rooks by the shoulder, Mime attempted to draw attention to her. Still unable to use her mouth without feeling sick, the spirit chose to utilize her namesake. She pointed out towards the glowing sewer, then to the rats before tapping the side of her temple with a finger and twirling said digit.​

Memories of Soule

Emily

Emily had never taken her eyes off the lizard. If it wasn't for the fact the animal was poisonous then she would've considered leaving it upon Fran's middle and seeking out answers. The creature blinked then twisted the right head to look at the once Soule resident. The other head was too busy scratching, folding its frill in so it wouldn't get torn, at a slow, leisurely pace. It was perfectly at home among the rocky interior and hidden crevices. Not at all like them. Emily cautiously stepped forward with one foot while she held her hand out for Vignar, the bishop scrambling around to seek something to help her capture the beast. He seemed to have found something because she felt something rough and scratchy pushed into her hand. She paused long enough to look down, realizing it was a blanket.

It wasn't the best choice but better than nothing. On hearing Vignar's comment, she nodded, her eyes noted some large shards of broken pottery at her feet. Making her way toward the perched lizard, she halted long enough to bend down to scoop it up. It would help block the lizard's heads from latching onto Fran's exposed skin or so Emily hoped. The right head continued to stare at her while it tilted to one side, studying her approach. The other head wasn't the least bit interested when it flopped down, the serpentine like neck coiled around the much thicker body. It's tail followed suit, the creature lying in a crescent moon posture save for one head. It was an adaptation that allowed the Dyrha to exist in such climates.

Carefully she held out the pottery bottom in one hand and the blanket out spread in her other, her figure drawing nearer with each step. She put her tongue to her mouth roof and started to make a primal, hissing noise with her tongue. "Sssiiiiisss…"

The sleeping head jerked up abruptly, its beady and alien like eyes narrowed upon the hissing rook. The frills rose up defensively while its fangs bared. Small, stubby legs shifted around to face the challenging cry, assuming Emily was another Dyrha seeking its sleeping perch. It rattled its frills making a hushing noise causing Emily to reach her other hand and spread the blanket defensively over her front. It lunged.

Emily tugged up the blanket, causing the pottery to shatter, pulling it over the lizard's attack as she bundled him up tightly. "Vignnar, move!"

The moment the moment the bishop shifted, she tossed the lizard toward the exit. The lizard immediately scattered into the nearest hole, turning about to glare at her unruly treatment then vanished. Emily's body hunched over and her breath was short, hard when she tried to catch her breath after near fatal call. "I think...I'm going to block that hole andwe should move out to seek what's happening around here. Before someone else dies. The sooner we leave the better."

Without giving Vignar much time to come up with an excuse or another plan, she grabbed the pot end then shoved it to block the lizard's hole.Silently she motioned for Vignar to follow when she edged out into the hallway.

Sandwalker by Night

Nathair/Qaurtz

Nathair moved alongside the cubs, gently nudging them back onto the oversized reptile's back. The young had long ago settled down when Nathair rubbed their scent over him and started to ease their nerves. One was even snozing against his arm despite the bitter cold raining down snow which piled up small drifts over their surface. Every so often he make a growl when the hyper one had wandered off toward the edge of their mount, causing the little cub lift his head and stare at Nathair. The Knight gave no quarter when he tugged the rope a bit harder. The small cub scrambled back onto the top and closed into the Knight's figure, making the other grumble in dislike and shift, when it snuggled in.

Meanwhile, Quartz gently snipped his teeth under the third cub's scruff. His head feathered were pushed back against the raging wind whipping about him. His eyes narrowed, struggling to keep up with Eowyn as they continued to trail along the mountain's dangerous ledge downward. His kept an eye on Nathair, still wrestling with the feistiest cub as it tried to bit his hair and ear off. Though it was an infant, the bear still had enough bite to actually hurt a normal human. And Nathair wasn't a Rook or Bishop, else Quartz wouldn't have been able to materialize into the world. The whole time the spirit was tensed when they edged closer to the bottom at a snail's pace.

The smaller cub, the runt the serpent assumed, was wiggling within his clumsy, large mawl making the spirit snort in annoyance. Of course Nathair had the talent with wild animal while Quartz was left without an ounce of knowledge to calm the small cub down. The scorpion also didn't seemed to have liked to been removed from Eowyn's care either. It burrowed deeper into the cub's head and tickling the slotted nostrils. It close to making him sneeze yet he held it in through the bitter cold chilling his surface.

Behind them, the skittering become more predominant, drawing closer and closer. Where it had once kept its distance, something seemed had changed since they picked up Charles and that didn't bode well for the wounded Knight.'Nathair, you might have make a quick choice over what to do next. The cubs won't last long in this weather nor will we if that thing comes after us. I think we'll have to stand and fight soon. Tie the two cubs together and make sure the rope is secure, then see if there's another in the backpack we can fashion into a lantern. I'm sure your mother packed one or something we can fashion a torch for light.'

Nathair nodded then turned about to search his back for something. He managed to find a tin of animal fat for preventing chapped skin, a rag or two, and finally something to mount it on… a pick axe handle. It wasn't going to be the prettiest but might allow Eowyn some freedom from remaining as their personal night light. Sadly, there was only enough animal fat for a good hour or two at max which was part of the reason Nathair hadn't considered it until now. Left with choice, he started to prepare the homemade candle while the beast closed the distance. The only thing he needed was a way to lite it now.

On seeing the beast's shape, it looked like a scorpion to Nathair. Those small, brown armored bugs Quartz and him found under the bark then roasted over a pit. The only bad thing was this bug was about to eat them then the other way around. Quartz, seeing the creature approached, readied his tail to lash out with wind whipping (Aztec Winds) around the tip. He raised his wings and turned his front halfway back, attempting to look larger than the beast. He hoped with his ploy, it would hesitate long enough for Nathair to hop off with the two cubs.

Unsure if the magma horse would listen or if Eowyn could hear while merged, Quartz used his Telepathy. 'Eowyn… Nathair has a torch, if you can lite it, we won't be left in the dark but we have finish this battle quickly. That candle won't last very long while Nathair keeps the cubs occupied. Are you up for this?'

Memories of Soule

Within an hour, the worst of the sandstorm had died down. Like pristine snow, thick layers of sand covered the doorstep of the residence Emily, Vignar and Fran had taken shelter in. Fran and and Diane were still out of commission; unable to act or even move. Taken by a deep sleep, so they had not to live this nightmare.

However as the scenery came calmer and the sand no longer sheared the caves, Vignar and Emily came to hear voices nearby. They were the voices of men, speaking the same language as was dominant within the Hub. They spoke of topics like cards and cursing the sandstorms. Even Vignar would be able to figure out these voices did not belong to locals. In neighboring homes, others had taken up residence, but who were they... And why were they here?

"No idea how many there are." Sigmund muttered, though he understood Mime's point. Trying to barge through them was too dangerous if they didn't know how many were still back in hiding. That was info they needed. Sigmund edged back closer to the ladder, looking at his two comrades. Having counted the minutes since he'd last used his active, he could have one more try love-drugging one of the rats. If they ganged up on him, Sigmund could draw all the rats their attention to himself and create an opening for Mime and Ilsa to make it through... Sigmund didn't know if he could escape the giant rodents if he did that, though...

"You can copy abilities." Sigmund prompted Mime, as he summoned his Iron Viper into his hand. "Copy this. If there's more where these came from, use it's special ability to make one of these pests follow you like a puppy." The rook said, though his face wrinkled in disgust of both the sewer and the idea of Mime using his own abilities.

"I'll deal with these bastards while you two make a run for it. Our target is probably hiding way past these rats. Don't mess this up, you got that?"

Sandwalker by Night

There was little more Eowyn thought they'd be able to do than what Quartz suggested. She nodded towards the giant snake and tipped her finger to Nathair's makeshift torch. It flared up in volatile fashion, sending a tower up flames up towards the night sky. Sleipnir's anger surged even through her slightest touch. Eowyn quickly pulled away her hand, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean-" She yelped. Even though the fire fanned down, it had burned up a larger portion than necessary just to ignite the torch.

Eowyn's arms shivered from her shoulders down to the tips of her fingers. Her sword summoned into her hands shook as well. Yet when she cast her eyes upon the beast in the darkness, not a trace of fear was in them. Eowyn forced her lips to curl, "Can please I trust you my back, Quartz?" Eowyn asked as politely as she could manage through her teeth. Her hooves scratched the mountain below her, seething .

Seek not permission, do you not hear our roaring soul? Feel it tremble, accept this furor. Pursue our hunger. Give in for this becomes not lunacy, this becomes of a woman who wields my strength. Let it surge through us and it shall grant the needs to defend.

As it had in the snowy caverns, as it had on the beach, Eowyn's head was wiped of it's doubts. She cast one last look at Quartz, then within the blink of an eye, the knight rode towards their enemy.

Ilsa looked at the rats as the scurried about in front of them. They were nasty little creatures, but she had never had problems with them before. She had never felt scared of something as little as a rat, but how these furry little creatures were acting she was noticeably nervous add to that their much larger than average size, and Ilsa was near terrified. There Ilsa stood for a few moments, eyes wide staring into the stinking mess that was the sewers, terror creeping its way into her heart.

That was when she heard a familiar voice slithering its way in her head. A voice that on any other occasion, usually sent shivers down her spine she now found strangely calming, "Ilsa, you young little fool. You see not the rats for the secrets they hold. You only stand back in terror like a child. Think of what knowledge they hide!"

Ilsa took a deep breath and began working on pulling herself together. She turned to the others and finally spoke her mind, "I can create a wall that would destroy any of the pests that dared pass through it. I believe that if we could get past the rats, I could seal the tunnels behind us." She let out a long sigh. "Of course that entirely relies on our ability to get past the rats, and also assumes that there aren't just as many if not more rats further down the line." She rubbed her forehead as the stress of the situation started getting to her.​

Last edited:
Memories of Soule

Emily

For a while it seemed the storm would never die as Emily readjusted Fran and Diane. Deep insides, she was unsure if either would've awaken from their injured state and inwardly blamed herself for suggesting the risk. Her neck hairs rose in anxiety at feeling familiar eyes staring at her.

Impulsively her eyes shifted and caught sight of Cerberus, the three headed beast, studying her in judgement. It was clear he didn't agree with her through she didn't care at this moment as she jerked her eyes away, unable to look at her spirit. Things were still tensed since the incident with the Dragon, unable to forgive him for what had occurred, which caused Cerberus's head to turn to the doorway. His ears listening through her own to pick up the signs of the storm's last breath dying down. He stood there for a while in still silence, Emily ignoring him, until finally he spoke.

His tone held a slight bite to, his thoughts clearly disagreeing with her consideration. 'It seems the storm has passed. Through climbing back out would be a waste of time, energy and far too dangerous after the first. Even if you think it would be well worth it.'

Emily didn't answer. Nor did she edged toward the door and begin to climb upward, knowing deep in her heart it was pointless. Vignar, let along Fran or Diana, couldn't repeat another climb and to risk it was suicidal. It was then she heard voices. Strange, unknown voices echo through the hallways as Emily's body moved to the door's thin, carved out frame of dirt and stone. Her back pressed tightly to the edge, keeping her frame from side along the inch thick side leading to the main tunnel. Quietly she turned to Vignar. "Alright, all I got is that you or I can play decoy and see if we can haul them in here to interrogate or I'm willing to hear a plan B if you have one?"

Sandwalker by Night

Nathair/Quartz

When the flame burned up, Nathair's head whipped away. His eyes filled with a bright blaze of light and heat licking at his hands, his lip bitten when he struggled not to drop the scorching hot makeshift lamp. For a moment, Nathair thought he had been burnt when the fire danced within the torch and rushed into the night. Though he never once let go, his eyes opened a bit when Eowyn apologized, the flame dying down. It had consumed a lot of his crude oil, not that it wasn't easy, so very little remained. Oddly, his mind went to Sleipnir and how angry the multiple legged horse had been during the whole mission since they denied him his battle. It made Nathair tensed to know he could've been easily killed had the spirit been even more furious as Eowyn turned to Quartz.

The Serpent, his eyes looked worry, had been witnessing the whole scene before the flame finally died down. He didn't like how close Nathair had come to being burnt and for a moment, flinched and curled his tail away from hitting Eowyn on impulse. As much as he liked the girl, Nathair came first. He kept his steady eyes upon the Knight as she summon forth her weapon then asked for his aid. When she requested his aid, Quartz nodded solemnly while he looked expectantly at Nathair. The boy sighed and untied the rope, attaching it to his waist. Gingerly he climbed off with the two cubs while reaching to take the third from Quartz's mouth.

Nathair's boots sank deeply into the snow, each time trudging a bit from the battle and keeping his eye on the idle beasts. Inside, Quartz knew the three cubs would be well taken care of though he doubted, in brief amusement, same would be said for Ms. Lysander's treats.

Without further pause, the spirit slowly and cautiously started to shrink. Most would've considered getting bigger but on a mountain where sound, movements and power was a dangerous factor, Quartz knew it was better to get and out than risk getting between the two titans about to clash. In addition, a smaller target made for a much harder to hit one as well. He used Telepathy to warn Sleipnir of his intentions. 'Going smaller, don't hit me as I promised your holder I would watch her back. I'm going to get his legs when I see a chance…

Memories of Soule

Vignar initially thought that the voices belong to other Librarians, sent to search and recover them. That thought didn't last as he count that it wasn't even more than a day from the meeting with the dragon, which meant that the other group were already here for at least longer than him and Emily. Looking at Emily from his place near the beds Vignar replied to her plan, "I can try calling a ghost and see how panicked they get?"

Giving Sigmund a nod, Mime materialized an exact copy of Sigmund's weapon. The spirit waved it once before retching once more. This time, Mime resorted on pulling the top of her robe up to act as a makeshift mask. She looked towards Sigmund and waved her free arm around, telling them that she's ready to go. The faster they finish this, the faster they got out of the sewer and back to Arlette after all.

Sandwalker by Night

The mountain sizzled as Sleipnir's hooves trampled the snow. The giant scorpion tried to turn to face Eowyn, but it was too slow. Eowyn's sword smashed down onto it's armour and brought the monster to the ground. However, not for long. The beast was tough, and it's natural defences had caught most of the impact. The scorpion smacked Eowyn and Sleipnir with the back of it's claw, sending the pair flying.

Quartz was slowed by Sleipnir's violent gallop, but managed to get underneath their enemy safely. However underneath the beast, there were blue, glowing runes etched into the beast it's belly. The radiation was nauseating; stirring a sick and unnatural sensation through Quartz' body. The spirit was still in position to attack, but it would instinctively know something was wrong.

Nathair would see a similar phenomenon in Charles. Though unconscious, his body convulsed and vomit dripped from his pale frozen lips. Nathair himself and the bears were unaffected, though the sight made the cubs slightly restless once more.

Eowyn and Sleipnir got up again shortly after once more. Their grip on the sword strengthened, as their form blighted their surroundings with sulfuric gas. Something in Eowyn pondered what it was, but this concern was only a blink in her thoughts. The centaur charged the scorpion once again, this time head-on. The beast, this time prepared for the assault, lashed out with it's barbed tail; but only struck air. The centaur had vanished, using it's signature teleport to appear right on top of the now defenceless scorpion! With a mighty swing, Eowyn cut deep into the monster's tail.

Yet Eowyn couldn't cleave through. The gases erupted from her and Sleipnir's body once again, and their form began to crumble. Eowyn's human upperbody was wrecked loose from Sleipnir by the force of her attack. First the headless horse tumbled off the scorpion, then Eowyn's upper body, as one solid rock, dropped on the back of the scorpion; further damaging it's armour. Light, just like the runes on it's belly, clawed itself out from the cracks.

As Eowyn too rolled off of the scorpion, she suddenly felt the cold of the snow. Her and Sleipnir's fusion had been undone. For a split second she was relieved she could still feel her legs, but then noticed how close she was to the scorpion... And how unprotected. Sleipnir, on the other hand, remained a headless horse. As if intoxicated, it tried to stand. The gases that escaped around it were lit on fire; flames flared up in bursts in the atmosphere around it. Sleipnir was, without, still under the influence of it's rage. Else it would have felt the same nausea as Quartz did. However, it was still focused on one thing and one thing only.

Eowyn crawled up and got out of the way as soon as it could; as she could see Sleipnir, with or without it's head, charging towards the scorpion's side in the most volatile of manners!

"Quartz, watch out!" Eowyn yelled. She couldn't see what was happening behind her as she ran away from the scorpion, but if Quartz was still underneath... "Sleipnir has gone out of control!"

"Sound plan." Sigmund nodded towards Ilsa, and Mime seemed to be following directions as well. He still didn't like his own plan, but at least they were working as a team now. He slowly edged away from his team mates. "Wait for my signal." Sigmund ordered, as he put more distance between himself and the others.

Summoning his iron viper seemed to take longer than before; as if the use of powers that normally came naturally to Sigmund made him dizzy. Ilsa and Mime would feel this too if they'd use their own abilities as holders and spirits. Mime especially. Yet, Sigmund grit his teeth and aimed the hookshot at the nearest, big rat. With one pull of the trigger, the blade dug itself into the rat's flesh.

"Steady!" Sigmund roared, at both Ilsa and Mime. The rats began to squeak even louder, and the one that Sigmund had shot was on top of it all. They now all closed in on Sigmund, though none were outright attacking. As it were, Sigmund's target had been infested with his love poison, and begged of it's fellows to leave Sigmund alone. The rook had no idea if it would work, but soon as a path for Mime and Ilsa was cleared, he'd shout; "Now! Run!"

Memories of Soule

Vignar's summoned spirit was a pale young woman in ghastly see-through form. Moss covered parts of her body, and she had distinct bite-marks on her. However, she was most easily identified by the dead crow she wore on her shoulder. She was Lucy Fuhr, a holder once set on a mission alongside Emily in the dead forests.

Both could see Lucy had fallen to the forest. The vegetation hadn't just settled on her skin; it had eaten out her eye-sockets and mouth. She seemed to have died as one with it. Upon closer inspection the cause of which must had been fire. If Vignar remembered seeing the black flames in the distant in the forest when he traversed it to rescue Emily and Lux, he might be able to deduce why. Lucy's stomach had been charred open by fire. Before she had been taken over completely; she'd committed suicide.

The ghost, for it's gruesome death, made the perfect horror. It wasn't long after it passed through the wall, screams could be heard. Black flames erupted from the cave and for a short time, fighting could be heard. However, Vignar would soon feel his summon had been defeated... And that could only mean one thing. On the other side of the wall there were holders; and they too knew there were newcomers in the caves...

Last edited: