The Library

Hive of Minds
Ramza Losstarot

[spacer]They finally reached their destination with no further encounter along the way. That first engagement was merely a taste of what's to come, the tip of an iceberg. Now, they're faced with a bigger problem. A problem about tenfold... nay, make that hundreds-of-folds than earlier, except for the absence of those little pests. Luckily for them, those troublemakers were not so fond of their bigger cousins, otherwise, the task at hand would be near impossible to accomplish, more than it'd already seemed to be. Ramza looked up the tree where he was leaning against. And although the trees were without leaves, the interlocking branches on some of them, granted the team with sufficient cover. He'd been taking advantage of these as the group advanced, hiding from the occasional buzzing flying high above, "leaping" from one tree to the next. So the element of surprise was still in their favor. At least he hoped it was. Slowly, he peered around the corner, quietly studying the site. A hand then extended behind him to stop his minions.[/spacer]
[spacer]The hive was a skyscraper, a construct like he'd never seen before. He'd expected it to be high up, and near the lake, but he'd not expect it to be this tall nor have he taken into account of its ridiculous size. Now the Rook wasn't as certain in the success of his initial plan than he was when he first started. He'll have to improvise, and he'll still try to aim for the same result. The gears in his head started turning, conjuring a handful of ways to approach the target. They'll be outnumbered, no doubt, five against hundreds. He looked back, beckoning the only fellow Holder with his eyes. To his minions, a brief glance to signal them to prepare.[/spacer]
[spacer]"What do you reckon?" he began. "That access point looks good but I'm not sure if we can see anything once inside," Ramza said, pointing to the man-sized hole. "And I think only you and my minion Pixie could make it across the lake without grabbing any attention from those above," he paused, contemplating. "Perhaps you could try and find out if that stuff is flammable while I get myself into position, around the lake and as close as I can to the hive. Rugratz and Shroom will go the opposite direction and draw their attention.." There is need for sacrifice and Ramza got a feeling there'll probably be more losses in this mission than they'd already suffered. "But I don't intend to linger. We have to hit it hard and fast, hopefully causing enough damage to cripple their function before we get ourselves out of here. If the stuff's flammable, the fire would climb the hive from the lake. And hopefully, that'll wrap things up. Otherwise, it'll be up to you and Pixie to get in there and draw the queen outside or kill it, while we distract the swarm out here. That is of course, if what I intend to do once I reached the hive, failed to bear results," the man made another pause, uncertain if Daniel had understood him. "If you got a better idea, do tell. Otherwise, we'll proceed."[/spacer]
[spacer]Ramza returned his attention back to the hive but kept an ear at his comrade. He shut his eyes for a bit, then opened them with heat-vision, hoping the skill will reward him with information on the queen's whereabouts if not where most of the gigantic wasps gathered. And hopefully, the walls of the structure is as thick as that damaged hole throughout.[/spacer]

Free Billy
Fortunately for Quartz, his attempt to reach Mime passed through as the latter tried to contact the other Spirits about Mari and her spirit's disappearance along with the Drogans. Arlette was concerned about the missing holder and tugged at her spirit's sleeve and hand, insisting to look for Mari some more. As Mime led Arlette around for the search, she answered Quartz while also sending it to Lancelot.

Ehh, are you sure it's everyone? We're at the...shops looking for the, um, miko and her holder. She send. The lizarddog things are also gone....and how could you? Asking two helpless little girls to go all the way back to the Hub on their own, how cruel~

Will o' The Piper

Charles would like nothing more than to kill both of the monsters, but his common sense told him that he wouldn't be able to keep his active form for any longer, and without it he wouldn't stand a chance. Instead, he reached out his mind again.

"Here is what we offer. You return the children to us, and leave this place. You never bother the village again, and we will release your brother and allow you to go on your way. If you don't accept, we will kill him, then you. If you break the deal, we will return, and we will bring many more fighters with us, So choose. Go with your lives, or stay here forever."

Free Billy​

The razor-sharp winds cut the corpse clean of the algae creatures, until not a single of their notes was left in the air. Ten minutes after the final kill, their spell had been completely broken. Even Eowyn woke, dazed and confused... But with a clear feeling of lingering sadness she could not place. Her centaur form tumbled off the carcass and splashed into the sea. She sunk a few meters before she hit sand, and Eowyn instinctively dismissed her spirit so she could rise to the surface. When she opened her eyes above the water, they laid upon the corpse, in which hooves and hands had been printed by fire. She had tried to climb it, but why?

Her body fought against the tide, as Eowyn struggled to make her way back to shore. Drenched in the salty water, she crawled onto the beach. Breathing heavily, the events had taken a toll on both her body and mind. Like Nathair, she grabbed onto Quartz' body for support. Not even looking at either holder or spirit, a frightened Eowyn, still trying to identify the mysterious ache in her chest, asked weakly, "Arlette... Remia... Are they alright?"

::End of mission::

The aftermath was a mess. Thanks to Quartz, the little monster fish was saved, as were most of the protesters, but bodies and remains thereof were spread across the beach or yet drifted upon the sea. The librarians would call for a back up team to help them handle the leftover situation, but they would be far too late to cover it up.

Mime's inaction, and Remia having been too far away, had meant the shadows the spirit had been able to spot got away. Would this be of consequence? Perhaps. Mari's body was not found, yet agents of the library would later identify her spilled blood on the rooftops.

The monster fish was contained, and would make recovery under the eyes of it's original caretakers. Security around the research facility was reinforced by order of Liaison himself. Traces were found that the break-in had not been the work of ordinary humans, yet no track of drogans were to be discovered there. Many questions lingered; who exactly was behind this, and from whom did they have help? This case was, to the head of the mercenary branch, of the highest priority... This was an act of terrorism, meant to dismantle the public image of the Library. Someone was out to start a war...

Will 'o the Piper​

The blue monster understood it's situation and hesitated to attack, but pressured by time Sigmund had no interest in fooling around. He scraped himself together and stood up, approaching his red victim, or rather his Serpent's Tongue. It was swinging around viciously, being stuck in the red oni's leg, but he tried to catch it. First grasp, it hit his wrist, but the second Sigmund managed to hold onto it, "Decide now!" He shouted at the blue oni, and in an instant pushed his weapon deeper.

Sigmund leered threateningly. The threat of violence was more powerful than violence itself, even if the blue oni could not speak his language, Sigmund was sure he understood the concept of urgency. The weapon was still in his hand, both now, to hold onto it in the face of the struggling monster. He were the muscle to Charles' threat, and this was a natural role to the rook. With each second his blue brother waited, he'd put it in more pain.

The blue oni dropped his tree trunk, and commanded the kappa to release the children. It's slimy henchmen complied, some of them relieved, others scared. The children gathered behind Charles and Sigmund, as the stand off reached it's conclusion. Sigmund motioned Charles to take a safer distance, and keep the children further back. Once they were, he pulled his weapon from the oni's leg in a single swift, but crude motion; tearing it's flesh and leaving it unable to use it's leg. He then too, slowly backed off, with his spear pointing forward and dispelled his paramour active; releasing the red oni from the barbed wire.

First he pointed at the blue oni, then gestured him to go to his brother and pick him up. The blue oni complied, but viciously eyed him all the same. Even without his provoke skill active, Sigmund wanted to keep attention off of the children and Charles, so they could be guided off of the mountain. He stretched out his arm and waved the tip of his spear for the oni to walk away... And fortune was with them, again, for the last time, they complied... The oni left from their sight, taking the kappa with them.

::End of mission::

It was already morning by the time Charles, Sigmund and the children returned to the town of Kyo-shi. Grateful for their return, the librarians were welcomed and lauded as heroes. Though Sigmund himself shook off such thanks, as he instead searched for Kurotori to rely his and Charles' story to him. Sigmund insisted the man who had stood guard in their absence to stay as one. At least, until someone else would relieve him of his duty. Perhaps it was paranoia, but Sigmund knew he wouldn't honour their agreement if he were in the monster's stead. While Charles and he returned to the Hub, Kurotori would stay behind for an indefinite amount of time... In the hope the oni wouldn't break their promise.

Sandwalker by Night​

The librarians found their selves at the foot of the mountains. They were the echoing mountains, where another team not too long ago had attempted to capture a harpy. Fortunately for the current mission (although not quite as for the Library) the commotion that had been caused had lead to the harpies abandoning parts of their territory. As such, the mission that had been proposed months ago, had finally come through. Charles, Nathair and Eowyn, were to hunt down a small parasitic scorpion.

Eowyn was glad this mission didn't involve fighting, protecting or herding people. She was not proud of her performance, nor the results of her last mission, but she could find peace in that both Remia and Arlette had come out unscathed. The death of Simon Getskilled and disappearance of Mari stung, but did not weigh as heavily upon her heart as the events in Mösund.

Each of the librarians had received a vial, with therein a sample of scent, supposed to lure out the scorpions. Once again, she was teamed up with Quartz and Nathair... Who she hoped did not fault her too much for her uncooperative performance a few days ago. She'd greeted them with a quick, slightly nervous smile, hoping to gauge their reaction. To Charles, Eowyn extended her hand, and introduced herself. "Eowyn Ryder Rohann, I am looking forward to working with you."

Wanted: Liaison​

A doppelganger, an exploded sewer... Things had better not get stranger. Olivia Town was in uproar. Not only they lost the use of their toilets, but there was a night clock in use and their town had been victim to streaks of vandalism. The public image of the library was being tainted by a figure that, according to the reports, looked identical to Liaison; the head of the Library's mercenary department himself.

"I didn't expect to see they day I get to put my fist to the boss' face." Sigmund said, at the gathering point for the librarians. They had all traveled alone, not to attract too much attention. This mission had to be covert, after all. "But I should've expected you would be here," He sneered at Mime. "You'd better make sure I don't confuse the two of you, doppelganger." He warned. Sigmund was not fond of Mime, not since their very first meeting. The other two members of their team were new to him. Ilsa Wulf, a young woman much to his tastes, as evidenced by Medusa rattling in the back of Sigmund's head, and Hitome Nullveil, whose presence, next to Arlette, made Sigmund further doubt the standards of the Library's recruitment branch. Half of his acting team was composed out of sixteen year old girls.

"Let's talk business. I'm Sigmund Baston." He put a thumb to his chest, then gestured to his most disliked duo so far; "This right here is Arlette Langfeldt and her goon Mime. I hope one of you brought a plan to catch this bastard, because I just brought the muscle."

Last edited:
Wanted: Liason

Ilsa stood there for a moment with an obvious look of shock. "I.. I am sorry." She stammered as her eyes flicked back between the three young girls. "I just wasn't aware that the Library employed such young women." A tone of genuine concern was in her voice. She had not been expecting to work with very many women, let alone three so young. She guessed that they probably had at least a decent reason to be there, and so she trusted the judgement of those in charge.

A familiar hissing and cold voice snapped her from her stupor. "This one knows a great deal. I can feel it." A dark, shadowy silhouette lingered around Arlette and Mime. "Maybe we should.... ask them a few questions?"

With a quiet sigh Ilsa pushed Abaddon's words from her mind and silently ignored him. "I am Ilsa Wulf," She said with a slight bow. "I would guess the first step would be to find someone who can tell us where this false Liason as been conducting himself. I can help... question anyone who may prove stubborn. Aside from that though, I had not thought too far ahead. I thought it would be best to form a plan as a team."

Last edited:
Rendezvous Crash

Andre silently cursed upon getting out of the building and seeing the horde of apes and drogans above them. Of course it wouldn't be easy, what was he hoping? That the mob has nothing that would stop them of getting away? The Rook called his crossbow as he used SCAN on both the Drogans and the lunxutans. He would tell the Bishops of what the beasts seems capable of (roughly), he doubted they'll be resistant to their abilities anyway and tried to push them back into the building. The humans inside are at least more manageable than being rained down by the still growing mob of beasts outside if they made a run for it without preparation.
Wanted: Liaison
Arlette wasn't sure what to think of the mission they were given. On one hand looking for the fake Liaison shouldn't be too hard, but on the other, she's in the same team as Sigmund. The Rook was by far her most disliked member of the Library as beyond the scary brute's appearance, he had the villainous attitude and rudeness to match it. Not to mention that the three of them shared the dislike.

She tried to keep her gaze averted from him after the team meet up in the assigned location while Mime stuck her tongue out and blew raspberry at him. "I'd try. Oh! Maybe I should write a sign so..." Mime replied to Sigmund. The spirit paused before adding, "But reading might be too hard... should I wear a silly hat for you instead?"

Meanwhile, Arlette greeted the other two Holders with a 'hello' and unsurely waited for the introduction of the others. She tugged at Mime's shirt to have the Spirit greet the other too and had half a mind to introduce herself first before Sigmund beat her to the chance and introduced himself along with her and Mime.

"M-Mime's not a go-" she managed to squeak out before Mime put in her own retort. "Well, of course you brought 'just' the muscle, isn't your head just a pedestal for your eyes and mouth? Or is it just a scary ornament?"

"You can't call someone that!" Arlette gasped before taking a step back and shying behind Mime, putting said spirit between her and the larger Holder. On her part, Mime stood defiantly, at least until Ilsa spoke. "Well, if he did something big, it should be in the newspaper, right? We could buy one and then see if he was mentioned before going to the place."​

Sandwalker by Night​

Nathair/Quartz

Nathair was impressed on sight at the looming mountains, named the echoing mountains by the locals. He had never seemed anything like it before causing him to spend a good several minutes taking the image in. His eyes roamed over the bluish white peaks and chiseled landscape that would be hard to scale, his breath already taken away by the sight alone. The holder felt his hands tighten over his parka, clenching closely the warmth made from furred animal skins. Most the locals had similar coats made for the climb as he twitched his nose against the longer furred bits tingling and scratching at him. Twice he about sneezed, barely stopped before it came and just made him push the sensation away. Underneath he was wearing two layers of shirts, suspenders and thicker than normal trousers which melted into the fur lined boots. His knife rubbed against his ankle to remind him it was still there.

Currently he was hunched down on one knee. His gloved hands dug into his hide bag, some of the supplies laid out next to it as he made a mental count of what they each had been given. Thick rope, iron hooks, food, water, and other needed items were including in his like the others.
However, it also had one nonessential addition.

His mother, in her foresight, had been considerate enough to pack a tin filled with marzipan (a sweet almond, sugar paste shaped into diminutive fruit), wrapped trifles, pound cake and biscuits to name a few for the trip. Though, according to Quartz, it might've been because he had mentioned meeting Eowyn and fact they were on the same mission again. It was shortly afterward she had returned with tin in tow, and Nathair mentally recalled the woman suggesting he share it with his companions. Now, he was debating if it would be better to do sooner than later, including how to approach the subject. He sighed softly under his breath while Quartz snickered, ignoring Ms. Lysander's dagger like looks.

Nathair chuckled at the memory then shoved the tin last deeper into his bag. It was there it would stay for the moment; his eyes pushed up to note Eowyn's nervous smile and tilted his head like a confused dog. Why was she upset? His eyes narrowed as if asking her an unvoiced question, only to feel Quartz stir within his coat.

Unlike Nathair, who was warmer blooded then Quartz was in his current diminished size, Quartz was miserable. First off, he was literally freezing. To keep any heat sealed within his scales, the reptile had curled under the several layers of Nathair's shirts and coat to block out the slight chill. His wings were curled about to farther isolate himself yet it felt like it had little effect to ease his discomfort. Even worse was the fact Nathair's head now shifted and created a fresh, chilling draft that made the snake frown at his inconsiderate holder. Slowly his horned and feathered head peered out.

"I hate this heaven's cursed cold!" He said with a whine edged in his tone as he paused, his eyes now noted Eowyn's smile. It looked off to his displeasure, but he didn't acknowledge it while he waved lifted his wing to wave.

However, to Nathair he mentally made a conversation. 'Is she still beating herself up over the last mission?'

'I think so?' Nathair answered with hesitation.

'Why? She helped saved many on the beach by killing that beast. Even if Mr. Getskilled and others died there wasn't any way we could've saved everyone as we were unprepared. Granted, I wished we had split up in the manner like I suggested earlier but at least the idle beast and others were saved.'

'How is the fish doing?' Nathair asked his eyes darted to look his spirit in the eyes. He hadn't bothered to stay long after the fish was securely in the tank. Quartz, on the other hand insisted to be brought along when the scientists got a hold of it and stayed for a few hours.

'I had to help fed it a bit and other then being shook up, is recovering well. Though I had considered conning Mime into shifting into its mother until I realized I wanted to strangle the being after his antics made Arlette dislike me…'

Nathair chuckled slightly and reached his hand to stroke Quartz's head, the snake's feathers drooped slightly in depression. The spirit did have a soft spot for the girl as did he, slightly upset he was useless compared to everyone else. It was rather bitter to be reminded he envied holders like Eowyn who could fight alongside their Knights without being problematic in the end. Still petting Quartz, he watched Eowyn introduce herself while he patiently waited his own turn.

"That's not gonna be easy, Ilsa." Sigmund frowned, wondering if her manner of information-extraction was less socially frowned upon than the one in his skill-set. Towards Mime, Sigmund simply glared, contemplating using that very same skill-set to make him easily distinguishable. For the sake of their cover, he decided not to. Instead, Sigmund agreed to Arlette's idea.

"That sounds like something." He replied to the girl. "Tell your goon to go fetch one, maybe he'll be a good little doggy for a change."

He hated this mission already. The Hitome-girl didn't seem to be much of a talker either. Not that such was a big issue, Sigmund was no good at talking to children either way (as evidenced by the way he treated Arlette). The less they talked the better, but Sigmund had certainly hoped someone else would take the lead. After all, the Library didn't approve of his methods, but he didn't see it ending well if his first impressions were an accurate indicator.

Last edited:
Wanted: Liason

Ilsa looked at Mime, with Abbadon's dark swirling mass lingering around it, and with a mildly annoyed tone in her voice asked, "Well, what is taking you? Get on with it. We need to find this guy, and soon. Before he causes any more damage than he already has."

She was growing suspicious of the two that seemed to be twins. How the man spoke to them, as if one of them was nothing more than an animal was odd. That and how Abbadon, even now, was pestering her about one of them. A spirit perhaps? It was being called Mime. That didn't seem a name for a child, so it seemed it must be a spirit, and that meant the little girl Arlette was a Knight. Ilsa had not met many knights, and this being her first job she hadn't worked with any either. She now understood Abbadon's curiosity. Maybe he knew even more, but if he did he was being vague as he possibly could right now.

Last edited:
A Clayman's Finale

"We can't leave the man hanging." Lux chimed in with Adeline's proposal. Salia agreed as well. With the older team-members' reassurance, Adeline nodded to her spirit. Bladed chains shot forth from its body, arcing through the air and whipping at the space around Dr. Valenci. Metal met with floating rock and more metal chains- Sonneillon wasn't a precise instrument, but it excelled at destruction. The chains were severed, as were several rocks. One chain even nicked the poor doctor himself.

Got to remember to never ask Sonneillon to save someone. At least not with its chains.

Rendezvous Crash
Even as he scrambled out of the room following Andre's marvelous charge, the cogs in Vologhn's mind were spinning fast. There was the Don, fleeing on foot at the sight of them. Vologhn took to the chase like a predator. Swiftly he darted and leaped in between the Don's men, agility aided by the threads he had spun earlier.

Once they reached the exit, it became clear that the Librarians were the flies caught in the web, not the other way around. Vologhn sighed mentally- for all his planning and research, there would always be a surprise waiting for them. While the reports had reports of the Drogans, none of them mentioned how many they had- or those strange beasts that looked extremely dangerous. Comparatively, the minions firing guns at them looked like child's play.

Still veiled by Bishop's magic, Vologhn took a gamble. He wasn't extremely far from the Don. Under the cover of the invisibility, he had the advantage of surprise. Raising his hand, he concentrated on weaving his threads.

These would not be the simple mono-filament mana strands he usually used- since the previous mission, Vologhn had been experimenting with the applications of his mana weaving technique for use during missions instead of the laboratory. Wrapping multiple different mana threads of varying frequencies around a flexible core produced a thread that was far more durable. However, it was a straining process to produce them at will, so usage would have to be limited.

The Mithril Fibre materialized between her rapidly moving fingers, and continued to form in a line that extended directly at the Don. Within a split second, it would have encircled the portly man. While the volume of threads were far less than usual; it would take an immense amount of strength to break them. Once captured, Andre would be able to easily haul him back into the building.​

A Clayman's Finale

The doctor, as expected with Soneillon's rough treatment, crashed into the floor hard. The chains Soneillon cut their selves convulsed like snakes for a few seconds before they laid still and their glow vanished. The patterns on Valenci's body continued to flicker, but the man was clearly unconcious. However, as Soneillon had cut the chains... It seemed as if the foundation of the very ruins began to crumble. A large piece of the ceiling suddenly dropped in the middle of the room; not hitting anyone but making it dangerously clear the place was collapsing.

"That's our cue." Lux shouted, before coughing as the dust-cloud from the crash made it's way into his mouth. He shielded his eyes with his hands, searching for the exit they came from as he tried to stand firm and held on tight to Salia. "I vote we don't stick around."

Sandwalker by Night

When introductions had all been made, the librarians headed into the mountains. For the first hours, they would be able to follow a path, but to find their target; they would eventually have to get off the beaten path. A prospect that would be difficult for the three knights in their normal condition.

The mountains were, besides cold, eerily quiet. Almost every little sound came with an eerie echo. Eowyn had summoned Sleipnir, whose presence provided both warmth and a little light. It was good her spirit was agile and equipped with a teleport ability; otherwise the horse would have had it immensely difficult traversing the terrain.

"These slopes are treacherous. They are a solicitation to renounce our selves to the other worlds." Sleipnir warned, as the horse did it's best to claw it's way into the rock... Hard as such an endeavor were for a creature on hooves.

Right behind Sleipnir was Charles, who after activating his spirit, had become the best climber of the trio. He suddenly hushed the horse and announced he heard something. He gestured to Nathair and Eowyn to wait, after which he quickly darted off on his own.

Not a minute later, Eowyn and Nathair heard it too. It was the sound of something large crawling... Quite rapidly, given the interval of the sounds. However, it wasn't coming from the direction Charles had headed into. "What was that?" Eowyn asked, clasping tightly to the rock wall under the light the moon and Sleipnir provided.

"Creatures of the night. Remain within my vicinity, the light will drive them off." Her spirit responded, already on the top of the wall. But would it? Following the crawling sound was a loud roar; resounding through the mountain range tenfold...

Rendezvous Crash

Andre might had barged through the exit successfully, but now he was on his own. Instantly after scanning them, the ape-faced monsters started climbing and jumping across the buildings and launched an aerial assault. They plunged their selves at the rook; trying to slam him down with their combined weight and claw at whatever they could get a hold of.

With Andre having made way and Bishop providing invisibility; Vologhn was successful in the capture of the Don. However in doing so, Vologhn too revealed his position. Although none of the cat-faced apes was in position to jump on him yet, a few were plotting to bounce from Andre onto Vologhn...

With Andre and Vologhn rushing out, Bishop had been left alone. Having overcome the initial shock of Andre's charge, the Don's men, armed with knives, short swords and some with whips (more specifically, one with each) plotted to make their way past the lone Bishop. One shouted something that sounded like an order and the three men separated from the rest of the bodyguards; menacingly approaching her.

A Clayman's Finale
Maria hurried forward and knelt down, hefting the unconscious form of the doctor over her shoulder. "I'm with Lux on this one," she shouted over the din, "Let's get out of here." She took off at a run toward the hallway they had entered from, stopping by the Bishop as she passed him. "I'll just take this off your hands." She said, lifting the icebound woman from his grip and hefting her over her other shoulder. It was harder for her to run carrying two people, but not so hard, she suspected, as it would be for Lux.​

Arlette was about to protest once again to Sigmund calling Mime a goon but found it stopped in her throat as Ilsa unexpectedly stated her agreement with the man. The girl shot the woman a hurt look before casting her eyes downward.

"Yes...we'll buy one..." Arlette said before she ran off while dragging Mime behind her.

On their way to find a newspaper, Mime tried to console a sulking Arlette, "You know them calling me a goon isn't a reason to be angry at them, don't you?"

"But..but you aren't a goon, that...that's just mean," Arlette returned. "....Maybe they'll stop calling you a goon if you stop insulting them too?"

Mime let out a giggle as the spirit pulled her holder into a hug, "Noopppe, they'd just keep at it just because I'm being me. At least I'm pretty sure that's what Big, Mean and Ugly would do, I'm not sure about the wolf lady, she just seems more impatient than mean."

It took the next quarter hour for Arlette and Mime to find an open stall that still have newspapers on sale. The seller seemed curious on her buying one but chosen to ignore it as money is still money, and Mime also buying several other magazines helped the fact. Arlette protested when Mime picked said magazines but was swayed after Mime pointing out that the magazines might have something in it.

Arlette skimmed the front page to look for any mention of the Liaison or Library before looking up to Mime and headed to return to the other Holders. The front page was filled about the rats and their nightly venture on the street and what she's looking for was put several pages after that. Articles of vandalism and theft that include Liaison's physical description ('and shady fedora' Mime added) around the town. Most of the thefts and break-ins were small and petty, but what concerned Arlette was the defacement of the fountain landmark in the town square.

The newspapers were full of the events they'd been briefed about. The giant rats that had taken residence in the sewers were a large topic, as they seemed to come to the surface to scavenge at night. A little further from the front pages, Arlette would find articles about vandalism and theft. A fountain on a public square had been demolished, which according to the newspaper was an important landmark to Olivia town. The fountain wasn't the only occurrence. Local musea and official buildings had suffered break-in's as well... And it seemed Liaison's fingerprints had been identified. Everywhere it went, the perpetrator left a trail of destruction... Like a signature. Other articles reported about civilians waking up in the night, only to discover a man fitting Liaison's physical description showing up in their homes. Although the thefts here were petty, it still caused a lot of disarray in town.

Returning to where the others were, Arlette passed the newspaper to Ilsa before joining Mime who was reading her magazine while the other read the newspaper. While the spirit does look for similar articles about the fake Liaison there, it was a shallow attempt at best.​

A Hive of Minds

While Ramza wasn't able to determine the queen herself, he was able to point out active and inactive corridors in the hive. There were a number of definable chambers, based on activity and Ramza could make out a decent map based on what he saw. At the very least, it might not be a labyrinth this way... Though with access to this knowledge would it be best to send out Daniel?

Shroom and Rugratz, circling the hive opposite of Ramza, would soon find that playing decoy for the wasps was a gamble of life and death. Although they approached carefully, once they stepped too close it was as if they triggered an alarm. A massive amount of wasps came out (Ramza would be able to tell it would be at least a third, from his earlier use of heat-vision) and coloured the sky above them black and yellow. While this would make the infiltration easier, would it be worth it?

Though Daniel had little issue swimming, Pixie found it difficult to traverse through the thick liquid. Though both would make it unnoticed to the entrance at the bottom of the hive, the swim had tired Pixie significantly.

Ramza as well, would find himself successful in getting around. He would find a small cabin in the middle of the lake, which had been mentioned in a report about the previous mission to be a small laboratory. Although nets drifted around it, there seemed to have been taken bites out of the roof. The were holes in it, showing it's interior. The inside was a mess, and all research papers had already been taken... But unlike most of the environment, there was none of the sticky pink liquid on and in the cabin.

In addition to the cabin, there were more breaches in the hive from Ramza's side. They could be used as alternative entrances. From this side and distance, it was clear to Ramza these weren't entrances that were meant to be; but cracked under the weight of the hive itself (Daniel and Pixie would be able to tell from their side as well). The unnatural size of the wasps... Might it be a weakness as well?

Well, Ilsa seemed on his side, Sigmund reckoned. He hardly imagined himself a leader, but his voice and stature did regularly prevent any back-talk. Not that Mime fell in that category, though. His holder did, as she ran off with her spirit in tow. Sigmund let out a sigh as the two left his eyesight.

"Can't believe this." He shook his head, "Higher-ups must think it takes one to know one."

The rook himself was drawing blanks at the situation still. He wasn't one to just sit around and wait, but without a lead to go on, there was little he could do. "What I want to know is why someone would try and frame the boss-man. This has to be personal." He turned to Ilsa, sheltering a small hope she had a vague idea.

When Arlette and Mime came back with the paper, they passed the papers to Ilsa, to no surprise of Sigmund's. He tried to read over the woman's shoulder, "What do you reckon?" He asked. "This sounds more like a little punk on the loose than a hardened criminal."

Sandwalker by Night

Quartz/Nathair

Introductions had been short as Nathair, and even Quartz, had trouble making their opinions on Charles fully. However, they needed to trust each other on this mission regardless of any uncertainty so that was what Nathair and his spirit intended to do. It was long after they began their long read upwards. The trail was one less traveled, nothing more than a crude, jagged curved path into the side that guided them into the wintery like deeps of the mountains. White snow patched the slope causing Nathair and Quartz to fall to the back of the small pack, neither able to coax his spirit still deep within his coat out or having any beneficial skills to aid him. Not like Charles and Sleipnir who both trudge farther ahead. The spirit had the ability to teleport and hooves to help him along; his hot flank heated the air swirling around his flesh to warm the rest. Charles's agility, power, and skill seemed complete inhuman due to his spirit's lack of appearance.

Nathair's eyes squinted through the reddish light casted by the lava coursing through the six-legged horse, followed by the sounds of his complicated words and hooves trying to bull their way through the ill-suited path pounded in his ears. After listening to the spirit's over large words, Nathair had stopped asking Eowyn and Quartz their meanings. Merely he just guessed it now.

In addition, he was on edge due to the eerie quietness, which surrounded them. Even the winds seemed to be hushed by some powerful force, far beyond his understanding, and only added to Quartz's discomfort. Sleipnir's light seemed to reach a few feet then hit a wall of darkness, halting its aid any farther until the horse arrived. Several times, Nathair believed he would trip enough to be sent carting over the edge and into the sheer drop below, no chance of surviving it. His head lingered to the side to sight his would be death only to hear a hush. Nathair's eyes twisted about, his breath frosted in the air, and nearly ran into Sleipnir's ass end at the sudden stop. Charles seemed tense. His eyes ahead, his ears perked causing Nathair to mimic after he mentioned hearing something. All the holder could hear was dead silence.

Still convinced he had heard a noise, Charles's hand held out shortly before he darted into the distance. Nathair didn't like that but couldn't stop the holder in time to suggest against it. The next time the sound came, Nathair and Eowyn both had heard it. A large creature seemed to be scratching its way along in a very fast pace but far from the direction Charles had ran to. Nathair's neck hairs rose in alarm when he heard Eowyn's voice echo his own question. Her body was already held tightly to the rock wall, her features of discomfort revealed by the light made by the combination of the pale moon and Sleipnir's body, casting her in an eerie vision.

Above came Sleipnir's voice from their location. His figure illuminated reddish and strongly against the grey rock, creating a slight beacon, while his voice called for them to follow him. Or at least Nathair assumed it was that.

"Nathair, put me down," Quartz said, his head slithered finally from within his coat and stared at the young man, "Don't give me that look! You heard me."

Skeptical, Nathair slowly pulled his spirit out then turned to put him onto the cold rock path. This time, a loud roar rippled through the air and seemed to draw closer. He couldn't help the small growl that flowed from his throat, escaping in a hiss through gritted teeth before he turned to set his spirit down. Quartz, though it was his idea, grumbled his body while he started to shiver slightly and shed his skin. Each peeling layer flaked off, his figured growing in the pale moonlight bigger from cat size now to dog.

"Nathair, pass me a rope. I'll fly up and latch it somewhere," Quartz said at last, still growing.
Nathair nodded then returned to Eowyn's side. His hands reached in his bag for a rope, which he pulled out easily, and then tossed it to his spirit. The other end was already set in a knot that could slip over the pair of them, keeping them together.

He paused long enough to show Eowyn his intentions and asked one question. "Problem?"

If she didn't indicate any, Nathair would tie them together securely. Meanwhile, his spirit already the size of a medium dog, would take off to wedge the hook into a nice nook for climbing before they started to ascendant to where Sleipnir stood. Nathair's head turned to another roar shaking the world around them, the scurrying faster now in its path right at them. It didn't sound like it would take it very long to reach them, pressuring Eowyn to make a choice and do it promptly. Else, they were going to discover, in the worse way, what exactly made that sound.

Last edited:
Hive of Minds
Ramza Losstarot

[spacer]He picked up his pace as soon as he noticed how good a job both Shroom and Rugratz were doing. They'd succeeded in drawing the wasps attention, distracting them from Daniel and Pixie, as well as from himself. At least now, if they were to breach the hive, there might be little to no obstruction. Or so he'd hoped. But he have to be quick, otherwise, he could lose the two minions. [/spacer]
[spacer]His reason for sending both Daniel and Pixie to enter the hive was only in the case of things going south with his initial plan. Simply the setting of pieces should there be complications with the first assault. However, from where it now stands, it seemed that he'd pretty much predicted the situation correctly. Ramza glanced over his shoulder towards the female minion and his fellow Librarian. He could see how much Pixie was struggling. He waved at them to retreat, to get back out of the water before positioning himself before the hive. [/spacer]
[spacer]The holes where he'd first mistook them to be the entrance into the hive, were actually cracks and crumbles of the walls due to the massive weight up top. Perfect. Without delay, he mentally summoned his Spirit, the Bahamut, and lash out its powers in a couple of continuous blast. Exo-Beam, his active skill, as well as double, were used.[/spacer]
[spacer]Ramza targeted the hive, blasting a stretch of its wall instead of making a hole with both beams. He'd delivered his strikes in the same fashion a lumberjack would on the timber they chopped, so that when they fall, they'll fall towards the desired direction. Which in this case, Ramza was aiming for the hive to fall into the lake. Hopefully, both Daniel and Pixie had caught his signal earlier and managed to get themselves out of the way. On top of that, he hoped those wasps over his other two minions would be somewhat disoriented, panicked in a way for the danger of drowning their queen may soon face.[/spacer]

Sandwalker by Night​

"B-but we'll freeze." Eowyn replied, startled by Nathair's proposal as much as the roar. "There won't be any shelter from the wind up in the air. We'll be helplessly swinging in the darkness." She pushed Nathair's hand away, apologetically averting her eyes. "I'm sorry, Nathair." Eowyn said, as her skin began to turn to stone. She realised that by rejecting this idea, she was showing distrust in his spirit. But how could Quartz fly in this light? Much less take care of passengers.

"Excellent, we shall not waver. Our prominence in this darkness shall bring the foe down to their knees!" Sleipnir's voice trembled and echoed throughout the range, but Eowyn was not quite so keen on showing their warrior's spirit. As soon as their bodies fused, Eowyn took control. She extended her arm to Nathair.

"Get on, quickly." She said, having the same idea as Quartz had. She willed herself to lower her own temperature to something Nathair could take a hand from without melting his flesh. "Please call Quartz, he'll be safer here as well."

Memories of Soule​

Fran was relieved to see Emily return in one piece. After hours of waiting in fear of death, Fran could simply not keep her composure anymore. "Thank goodness you're alive." Fran cried out, as she ran out towards Emily. "What happened? Did you find the others?" She asked, her body shivering like a madwoman's and tears ran down her eyes. "I remember so little... There was Sean and the cats..."

Everything Fran said spread far and wide across the desert, which was otherwise silent as the night. It truly would be a maddening experience to stay alone too long. Perhaps Emily was familiar with it...

Vignar, on the other hand, stumbled upon Diane. Quite literally, as his face buried itself within the sand after he tripped over her. The girl was unconscious and didn't seem to have felt anything. Vignar however, felt another presence lurking. It was hard to make out in the darkness, but something was stalking him.

Memories of Soule
Vignar dragged his feet towards the pillar of light that he assumed was made by one of the other Holders. His head was still throbbing along with the other wounds he got from the worm's deadly embrace and it took most of his concentration to not lie down and sleep. As a result, he did not pay attention to what he's stepping on and fell down face first as he stumbled on something. Looking back from the cooling down sand, Vignar noticed that he tripped on Diane. Pushing himself into a sitting position, the Bishop attempted to check if she was still alive.

He exhaled a sigh as he learned that she was still alive even if she was unconscious with nothing indicating why. Maybe she hit her head? Vignar decided to stay put and wait for Diane to woke up as he doubted he can carry both of them to whoever emit the light.

He wasn't able to relax and wait though as he heard a scuttling and some sort of growling. He was unable to see anything after looking around, but he could still hear the faint movement. Something was following him, but what? One of the desert cats or something else?

Vignar forced himself to stand up before calling another dead holder to aid him. Hopefully, it's a Rook.

"Guard me and Diane," he state to the ghost as he pick Diane up to his shoulder and he slowly walk towards the direction of the light. It shouldn't be too far now and if the other holders were already there, then all the better to fend off any beasts.​

Sandwalker by Night
Quartz/Nathair

Immediately, Nathair read the reaction. Years spent studying animals and humans, Nathair didn't find it hard to see the tint of fear and panic in her body language following his one word question. Even worse, he had hoped not to see it which made the reaction more of a slap in his scarred face. He abruptly jerked his hand back before they touched as if she had bitten him. The bad thing, it didn't stop the hurt in his eyes from surfacing while his head suddenly broke the eye contact.

Quartz, on the other hand, was purely insulted. A fact he easily voiced out loud in an angry and rather unfriendly voice, his feathers ruffled outward to follow his sarcastic words. "And if it's our target, or something worse, we're going to waltz right up to it?!? Risking scaring it off, or worse, switching victims during this brilliant plan of yours? Shall we serve Nathair up as dessert after you and I volunteer first as the main course?"

At those words, Nathair's body tensed. His skin paled while he lowered his eyes, looking rather shocked at his spirit's suggestion and wondering what had gotten into the serpent's head to suggest such a thing. Quartz (now the size of a large Lynx) quickly adopted a sheepish and regretful expression for a snake, his feathers pressed down apologetically. He sighed then continued, first to Eowyn then Nathair.

"I will never understand humans. And Nathair, that comment was sarcasm. I wasn't serious so calm down."

During the small conversation, Eowyn and Sleipnir, had melded into one. Though not before the horse shouted his triumph, his eyes blazed and ready to fight making Quartz snort softly. Nathair, however, had remained quiet. His eyes seemed to watch the scene occur but in truth, he had started, for the first time during the mission, wondering how wise it was to come. Again, it was the beach mission all over. Back then, Eowyn didn't want to split up, yet the monster still died and those responsible still managed to get away. Would this end the same way? He thought then returned his eyes to Quartz when the spirit entered his head.

What's on your mind boy?

Nathair inhaled deeply and replied, not allowing Eowyn to hear his conversation. She's no different from the others, is she? She won't trust us…

Silence for a moment, Quartz debating on the right answer as well as a way to stir his holder's hope. No ideas really came causing the spirit to struggle inwardly, drawing Nathair to look harder for an answer. Finally, he was honest in his own thoughts. I can't know for sure, Nathair. We can only hope so…it's only the second mission after all and she's not use to us.

Nathair nodded, halfheartedly. The last one ended rather miserably, so will this?

Let's just focus on the mission and get out alive, shall we? That's the important part, Nathair.

Depressed by the conversation, Nathair, seemingly unfazed by Eowyn's distrust, leaned down for his bag on one knee. His hands ruffled through it, first replacing the rope back inside, then retrieving a tack, hammer, and brightly colored ribbon. Holding it in his hand, he hoisted the bag once more on his back. He paused at Quartz, looking at his spirit with a very serious expression and made a request.

May I use your feathers, father?

Quartz's head tilted in confusion. Not because Nathair had called him father, but more since the tone used had been one Nathair used as a child. One of uncertainty and deep respect. His eyes shifted from Nathair's hand holding the equipment and ribbon, then felt the reason click into place. Quartz smiled slightly at his holder's cleverness. His mouth then sank into his wings and retrieved a feather, a dark plumage and none primary, to give to Nathair. Grasping it gently, Nathair rose back to his feet again. He tightly looped the feather around the ribbon then began to tack up the mark for Charles to see, should he return early. Nathair made a final tug at the firmly fastened marker, ensuring it was secure. Then he returned his hammer into his bag. Wordless, he moved toward Eowyn but didn't accept her offered hand. Instead he pressed his hands upon her back and hauled himself up onto her back, seated namely within the body's middle. When she mentioned Quartz, Nathair's body leaned down, like many times before on his spirit's back, as he reached to scoop his grudging spirit up into his arm.

Quartz clearly didn't want to be straddled to the back end of a horse but decided against causing farther problems.

Memories of Soule

Emily

Emily had long since lost track of time.

Her only company was between Cerberus and the whipping winds of the desert plains, neither much pleasure to entertain. Her Spirit's voice merely rumbled, holding his tongue with each blunt growl Emily throw in his direction, while the wind's path ripped and tore at her ragged robes with invisible fingers. Eager to flay the skin underneath and spill more blood onto the now tainted desert. The once warm, welcoming colors no longer comforted her anymore, their childhood magic long since jaded by her aging years. And even more by her time absent its embrace. It hurt a bit to let the fact settle in her chest, her breath filled by the arid air and made little pins stab within her chest. Instead of dwelling on it, letting it infect her, Emily trudged onward in silence.

Soon Fran's small shape came into view and caught her eyes. Emily crunched up her face, and studied the scene, debating on if she should keep moving or test another mirage. However, in truth, her patience was running thin with these incidences. Her tongue slipped out to lick her chapped lips while she looked beyond the woman, her water supply sloshed in mockery against her thigh making her look briefly down at it. She sighed in resistance, giving into the thirst rather than quench it. Her supply was already dwindling to dangerous levels as it was, any more and she wouldn't make it. Emily lifted her head wearily to scan the terrain while she overlooked Fran's moving figure.

It wasn't until Cerberus's words broke into her mind did she curse herself for being so stupid. Emily jerked at his booming comments and felt herself nearly trip face first into the burning sands, her leg gave out from under her and forcing her to grind to an abrupt halt.
It's not a mirage, Emily. He growled causing his holder to look closer, and for the first time recognize the details. The scene was made more real when Fran started to speak, her calm and relax compose lost in her run, slowing as she approached the half up holder. "Thank goodness you're alive. What happened? Did you find the others?"

Emily noticed the woman was crying, her body quivering while she tried to recover the time lost. "I remember so little... There was Sean and the cats..."

"Easy, shhh," Emily said, her voice slightly cracked, and placed her hand upright to cease Fran's rambling.

Slowly Emily settled into the sand, her muscles and very bones too tired to move from her spot. Once Fran joined her, the Rook began to explain all that happened since Fran had passed out. The tell wove from Sean's death to the dragon's test, including the frightening pity found within the were-cat's eyes on translating the tale. During it all, she had managed to keep an even yet hollowed out tone. As if something bothered her about it all. Though she never uttered her concerns into the open air for fear it would make it far worse than it should've been.