The Library [EverlyxAndy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eirian smiled happily at Jason's reaction. It was exactly what she was hoping for. She went over to him and gently took his hand again, guiding him over to the side to the chairs. They were very comfortable, and at a perfect angle to simply rest and gaze upward without getting a sore neck or back. She took a seat and patted the one next to her invitingly so that he would sit and enjoy the view with her.

"This is my favorite room in the entire Library," she admitted with a smile as she laid her head back and looked up at the stars. "There are many rooms here that serve functions other than holding books. We have one that is full of a sprawling garden and trees, one that holds lost artifacts.. In some ways, the Library is a museum too, even though the books are the major focus," she explained.

"My mother was the Guardian before I was. She wanted me to get used to the Library before it was my turn to take it over, so she used to bring me here for weeks at a time when I was little. That's how I found this room. I hid in here for hours once until she figured out where I was.. by then I was sleeping in one of the chairs," she said, pausing to giggle and look over at him.

• Love
Reactions: Andy
Jason swallowed hard when she offered him the chair next to her. It only took him a moment to move to the chair and sit beside her. His heart was beating so hard in his chest he was scared she would either hear it or his heart would burst out of his chest. At the moment he didn't know what he preffered.

When she told him this was her favorite room he smiled a bit and leaned back to stare at the scene above them "i can see why it's your favorite...it's very beautiful and peaceful to watch."

When she told him how she would run in here and hide when her mother was the Guardian he gave a soft chuckle and then grew quiet. He assumed her mother was either dead or she had retired as guardian. But he wondered about who the father was. Was he someone who had entered the library and fell in love as well? Or did the guardians go home every few years or something for a day then come back? "Eirian..do you ever get to..you know leave the library? And go home to see your family?"

Reactions: Ethys
"No, Guardians do not leave the Library, not ever. If we leave, we are not doing our duty of watching over it," Eirian explained. "I will be here until I die, then somebody else will take over. If I have no children, the Library will select a Guardian itself, likely a regular visitor. The Library can not ever go without a Guardian. So, here I am," she added, looking over at him with a smile. The dim light of the room made it hard to pick out exact details of his expression, but the conjured light of the stars above highlighted the contours of his face and made his eyes light up every time he blinked.

She relaxed, her eyes looking back up at the starscape above. Stars and planets, all drifting lazily around in their circles. The movement of those celestial bodies was not dependent on her, nor on anybody else. They just went about their business day in and day out, and would until some outside force destroyed them. It was comforting, really. She enjoyed knowing that they would always be there every time she looked up for them.

"Do you have a family, Jason? They may get upset if you stay here for too long."

Jason listened to her explain the rules of being a guardian and he couldn't help but feel bad for her. She was stuck here until she died and then the person after her would be as well. She could never go home.

When she asked her about his family he shook his head and went quiet "i moved out a year ago. My parents then moved out of the state taking my little sister with them so I won't see or hear from them for a while."

He looked at her and fell silent. Then before he could stop himself the question burst from his lips "do. Do you want to have a family one day Eirian?."

Eirian nodded with a slight frown as Jason explained his family had moved away. That was something she had read about - moving around from place to place. It seemed like a lot of work just to live in a different location. Packing up all of your belongings, leaving everybody that you know behind. The idea of it was frightening to the Guardian, who had never truly known a place other than the Library. She had been raised here and grown up in the long halls, sliding down the staircase railing for hours and hours. Living somewhere else would be.. tragic. Horrifying. She wasn't sure how Jason could handle such a thing.

"That is sad.." she murmured thoughtfully. His family was still alive, but elsewhere. There was apparently no communication or visiting happening on a frequent basis. She did not understand that either. How could he be so far from them like that? If her mother was alive, she would see her every day. She pondered that, her frown turning in to a smile as Jason asked her about her own desires when it came to family.

"One day, yes. I would like to have a child to leave behind in this world, to carry on with the Library. Children are so wonderful. I do not have many child visitors, but once in a while one will wander in. They are so curious, so beautiful. Perhaps I will have my own someday," she said, inwardly wondering when. She was only getting older. Maybe it would be soon, maybe not. Time would tell.

He said nothing and just stared at the ceiling. He cared deeply about her and wanted her to be happy. But..He didn't know how to do that. He couldn't just outright say. Hey I care about you I'll give you a kid. She'd slap him or maybe do something worse.

He stared at the ceiling for a bit longer before he looked at her and swallowed hard. "Eirian...i um..can I ask you something? And will you answer me honestly?"

• Love
Eirian was content to sit in silence with Jason. She had read several times about 'awkward silences'. Honestly, she wasn't sure what that meant. There was nothing awkward about sitting quietly with somebody, particularly if you were observing the stars together. How could that be awkward at all? Perhaps the use of 'awkward' varied among worlds. Or maybe she just didn't get it. That was entirely possible.

When Jason spoke up again, she looked over at him and gave him a curious expression. His tone was nervous again, but also serious.

"Of course, Jason. You can ask me anything. I would never lie to you," she swore with a smile.

• Love
Jason swallowed hard and stared into her eyes for a moment before he looked away again. Here he was about to confess how he felt but he couldn't find the right words.

Finally he let out a slow breath and rubbed the back of his head "if i..if I said that I um...liked you in a way that was..more then just friendship..what would you say or do?."

He mentally kicked himself for two years he wanted to tell her how he felt and that was the best he could come up with? Really? He almost felt like he deserved to be shot down for that question

Nervousness. Jason was nearly shaking with it. Eirian bit back a smile, simply watching him as she decided he really had not changed much at all in the years that had passed since their first meeting. Still stuttering, still unsure. Perhaps with more time would come more confidence, though perhaps not. Some people never lost that shy touch. She kept her thoughts to herself, giving him an encouraging smile as he finally looked back up at her and stammered his way through his question.

Why was that nerves-inducing?

Eirian was confused. Liked her in a way that was more than friendship. Did he mean as a really good friend? A best friend? What was more than friends? Companions? No, that was less, wasn't it? She pondered that, feeling rather lost. The idea that he would have affectionate, loving feelings for her did not occur to her at all, as it was not a concept she was familiar to applying to her own life. She had read about it, of course, but she didn't know anything about how it really felt or looked. Instead, she was stuck trying to grasp his meaning, which ended in her deciding he thought of her as a best friend.

"I would say okay," she said, smiling at him.

Jason stared at her. His chest a bundle of nerves and excitement for her answer. What would he do when he got her answer? Would he hug her again? Would he attempt to kiss her? He wasn't even sure.

When she gave her answer a part of him died inside. He thought she didn't feel the same way towards him as he felt about her. But then he thought a bit more and maybe she didn't completely understand his question. Guess he would have to be more..upfront about it.

He swallowed hard and slowly opened his mouth to speak again "i um..i don't think you understood what I was asking and that might have been my fault." He gently tugged at his collar before he flat out said what his heart was saying "Eirian...i..i think I'm in love with you."

• Love
"You're.. wait, what?"

Eirian blinked and stared at Jason in surprise. In love? With her? Of all the people he could have chosen on his world to feel such things, he had chosen her instead. She didn't even know what to think about that. They had met twice, fifteen years apart. Well, two years apart in his time. The first meeting had not even lasted an hour, and this one was perhaps barely that. How could he know how he felt? Surely such a strong emotion would not manifest itself so quickly. She wasn't sure how to react to this at all. What did love feel like? Butterflies in the stomach? One book had called it that. It sounded.. uncomfortable.

"I do not think that is wise," she finally said, her confusion showing in her voice. "I don't really know what love feels like or how one is supposed to go about it. You are from an entirely different world than I am - your emotions are more prone to passion and outbursts. I don't.. really.. know how to do that. We've met twice now and you will be returning home again. I don't know if I'll ever see you again," she explained, feeling an overwhelming sadness for some reason. She really didn't want him to go, but he had to.

"You are fated for somebody with far more to offer than myself, Jason."

• Love
Jason liked this new answer even less then the last. She wasn't telling him she didn't feel the same way. Maybe she didn't know what love was supposed to feel like and that's why she wasn't sure.

He was sure though he knew what his heart wanted and it wanted her "i know it sounds crazy Eirian..but this is how I feel. I love you and I want to be with you. I know things would be..difficult considering were from two different world's but..your mother found love didn't she? That would mean your father was from a different world as well..your parents met the same way we did and they found love.."

"My father was not from a world with a disappearing door.."

Eirian sighed quietly and looked away, thoughtful. This was very difficult. She didn't know how she felt and she wasn't sure what Jason really wanted. Love. A slippery concept. She did not understand how he could feel that way so soon. One of the books she had read claimed that love after such a short period was not love at all - it was lust. Perhaps that was right. Yet he didn't act lustful. She frowned, shaking her head.

"I.. need to think on this. Will you please give me time?"

Jason fell silent. He knew he was being sudden and he was being a bit rash but he knew how he felt. He just didn't know how to make her see that he was really in love with her.

When she asked for time he gave a small nod and then a soft sigh "I'll give you all the time you need Eirian..and I do apologize for..springing this on you all of a sudden I just..i wanted to tell you how I felt..i didn't want to risk leaving and not being able to see you again for two years and not telling you how I felt" with that he fell silent again and leaned back in his chair.

He knew he was probably speaking crazy and that she was just trying to be polite. But..Every moment he spent with her felt magical to him and he didn't want to forget they're time together. He just hoped in the end she would be able to return his feelings.

Eirian nodded silently, lost in thought. His sentiment was nice, really. All that he wanted was for her to know how he felt. Sure, he probably wanted more than that in actuality, but he was not forcing her along. He was allowing her to draw her own conclusions and think for herself. The problem was that she did not know what to think at this point. She needed more knowledge. A refresher. She knew there were several books that could help. With that knowledge in mind, she stood and gave him a smile.

"I will return," she promised, leaning down to gently kiss his cheek before leaving the room. Once she was better versed in the subject, she knew she would be able to make a better decision.

Once Eirian was out of the room, the opposite wall across from Jason slowly morphed into the door to the Library that he had come through with his key. The other door was still in existence - the one that led after where Eirian had gone. There was a clear choice. Go home to the world he knew and allow the Guardian time to think and risk the door vanishing the next day, or stay and wait for an unknown amount of time in a world he was unfamiliar with.

• Love
Jason looked up at her as she stood up. When she leaned down and kissed his cheek he blushed hard and stared at her "uh...ok Eirian..I'll be here." With that she was gone.

He knew what she was up to without asking. She was going to go do research on love. He could try to tell her that love isn't something you can read about and understand. It's something you feel. But he didn't know how to tell her that.

Almost as soon as she left he noticed the door appear to take him home. He stared at it for a bit before he shook his head and crossed his arms. He would wait here for her no matter how long he had to wait.

• Love
Research was not as helpful as Eirian had hoped.

It seemed that love was a topic written about many, many times. However, when looking to define love, there was not much to go by. Love was defined logically as an affectionate feeling toward another. There was love for family, which she understood completely. She had loved her mother deeply and had been heartbroken when she passed away. However, that sort of love was not something that she felt for Jason. He was not her family and she did not know him that well at all. Yet there were other definitions of love. Things that spoke of longing and a different sort of affection, with kisses and hugs and a willingness to do anything for that other person.

Did she feel that? It was hard to say. She had hugged him, and kissed his cheek. They had given gifts to each other, which was mentioned in several books. Was she willing to do anything for him? Well, somewhat. If he needed help that she could provide, she would certainly go out of her way to assist him. That was what she was there for. But if he wanted to leave, or if he wanted her to leave.. She would not, could not. Other definitions only proved more confusing to the poor Guardian. She was soon overwhelmed by the sheer amount of knowledge and varied opinions.

She read until she could read no more, then fell asleep, curled up against a bookcase with dozens of books spread out all around her.

• Love
Jason stayed where he was. Even though the door back home stared at him and refused to disappear he wouldn't go in he wouldn't risk not seeing her again.

He didn't know how long he waited but he would continue to do so until she came back. Unfortunately he fell asleep as he was waiting for her

Several hours after she had fallen asleep, Eirian woke up to a bright stream of sunlight coming in from the windows. She straightened up and yawned, rubbing her face sleepily until she realized what had happened. Oh no! Jason! She scrambled up, waving a quick hand to let the books all rapidly fly back where they belonged as she quickly went to the stairs. Up several levels, she arrived at the starscape room. She opened the door, stepping in with an apology ready on her tongue. However, the room was empty. She blinked and looked around to ensure that he hadn't simply switched chairs. No Jason. Hm.

He must have gone back up to the Earth level. A long walk, but he may have been of a mind to do it. He certainly had the time. She went up the stairs, checking every single level along the way. Once she got to the level dedicated to his home world, she searched every aisle. No Jason. She closed her eyes, her senses flooding the Library as she searched. No other people. He had left. She frowned uncertainly, looking over at the glittering Earth model.

Perhaps he grew tired of waiting for her response.

Meanwhile, the Library had deposited Jason back outside once he had fallen asleep. He was left curled up and snoozing on the steps leading up to the door, which was once again closed and locked, though it was still in plain view for him whenever he woke up. Apparently, the Library did not take too well to visitors sleeping inside.

Jason groaned a bit and sat up "man .That chair was uncomfortable.." it was then he heard the chipping of birds and realized he was outside.

He instantly paled and jumped to his feet and spun around to see if the door was there. He nearly had a heart attack from the morning he was having already. The door being there was just a stroke of good luck . he quickly walked up to the door and unlocked it and went inside "Eirian?.."

Status
Not open for further replies.