The Legend of Renalta (Updated: 03-06-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, speaking of Collabs, is anyone interested in doing one with Baldrik?

I'm available for collabs with Alexander no problem.

Fun time team building exercise #2: MtG colour pie alignments for your character. For those familiar with Magic, you know what to do. For those who aren't, here's a nice little run down:

White

White wants peace.

White looks around and sees a world of suffering. There are so many individuals that struggle day to day, but the world has the resources to address this suffering. There is enough for everyone to have what they need (as opposed to what they want). Suffering is a by-product of individuals not prioritizing the good of the group.

White wants to create a world where there is no unnecessary suffering, a world where life is as good as it can be for each individual. The key to making this happen is teaching individuals the importance of taking actions which benefit the group as a whole, even if those actions might not benefit them personally.

The problem with this plan is it can only succeed if everyone is working toward the same unified goal. As soon as some individuals prioritize other things, like say their own desires, the plan falls apart. This means that white has to work extra hard to get the group to understand the power it holds and to keep the focus on the bigger picture.

White does want as many as possible to understand its motives and share them. But white realizes that in order to accomplish its larger goal, some individuals will have to be lead down the path rather than venture there of their own accord.

Blue

Blue wants perfection.

Blue believes that each and every one of us is born a blank slate with the potential to become anything. The entire point of life is figuring out what you could achieve with the right education, experience, and tools. Note that this is not a task with an end goal, but one that continues throughout your life. There will always be things you can do to improve, change, or adapt. The journey of life is one of constant discovery as you keep seeking to better yourself.

In order for individuals to do this, there has to be a society that accepts and encourages this behavior. Opportunities for education are vital. Places to experience things through trial and error are mandatory. Access to the top-of-the-line tools needs to be a right of every citizen.

In addition, this way of living requires the right attitude. You have to be open to possibilities, but also not too hasty in action. Blue recognizes that there are many forces, even some that come from within, that lead an individual astray. Time is a valuable resource because only with time can one get the things they need to improve. This means that individuals need to be careful and deliberate in all their decision making. It is better to think one's options out carefully and select correctly, than to rush to a decision.

Blue is methodical and exact. Because when one sets out to become the best individual they can be, one doesn't have the luxury of making mistakes. Well, not unless they occur within a controlled environment.

Much as blue wishes to perfect itself, it also wants to perfect the world it lives in. Part of this is to ensure that blue has access to the resources it needs, but part of it is the belief that an element of reaching one's potential is living within a world that has reached its own potential. As such, blue is the color most interested in technology and wants the latest and greatest version of whatever it is using.

Black

Black wants power.

Black looks at all the other colors and feels that each of them sees the world as they wish it to be. Black is the only realist, the only color to look and see the world as it is. An individual is free to have whatever they want, provided they have the power to obtain and keep it. This makes power the most important resource, because it's the one thing that can guarantee your ability to control your life and thus your happiness.

It's important for everyone to understand that black didn't make the world greedy. The world was already greedy; black has just learned how to thrive within it. Black has two big things on its side. One, it understands and accepts the system better than anyone else. And two, black doesn't place any restrictions on itself that make its success more difficult.

Black's philosophy is very simple: There's no one better suited to look after your own interests than you. Therefore, if everyone looks out after their own interests, you've created a system where everyone has someone looking out for them. In addition, black's system allows everyone the opportunity to succeed. Will everyone succeed? Of course not—but once again, that's not black's doing. That's just how the world works.

The weak will fail. That's what makes them the weak. Doing anything to help them is both prolonging the inevitable and risking failing alongside them. It's not personal to black. Black does what it needs to do to succeed. If others can't do the same, well, then they deserve their fate. Others see this as black being heartless, but black realizes it's just being pragmatic.

There will always be those who suffer. Once again, this isn't black's doing. It's an inevitability of life. Black's just the one color that owns up to the truth and acts accordingly.

Red

Red wants freedom.

Everyone seems preoccupied with the meaning of life. Red's not, because red already knows the answer. You see, your heart tells you what it needs in order to be fulfilled. All you have to do is listen to it and act accordingly. It's not a mystery. You are literally bombarded with constant feelings that guide you down the correct path. The problem is all the other colors ignore the message.

Life's an adventure, and it's up to each individual to experience it. The key is to embrace your emotions and let them guide you. If you're happy, laugh. If you're sad, cry. If you're angry, hit something. If you're scared, run away. Listen to your inner voice and you will have the opportunity to experience all that life has to offer.

Too many individuals live their life questioning choices they've made. Not red. Red lives in the moment; red is spontaneous; red embraces every adventure put before it. Red knows that on its deathbed, it will look back on a fulfilled life with no regrets. That's all red wants—the ability to live life doing what it needs to.

This doesn't mean red is alone. Quite the opposite actually. Part of living life is embracing relationships. Red knows passion and loyalty and camaraderie and lust. When red bonds with another, it bonds strongly and fiercely. Whether a lover or a friend, red is someone who will always be there when you need them. Well, unless, life has taken them somewhere else for some length of time—but then when they get back, they're definitely going to be there for you.

To outsiders, red might seem a bit chaotic; but that's only because others can't see what's in red's heart. They cannot feel red's emotions guiding them. Living life to its fullest takes a lot of dedication and perseverance, but red is always up to the task.

Green

Green wants acceptance.

The other colors are all focused on how they'd change the world to make it better. Green is the one color that doesn't want to change the world, because green is convinced that the world already got everything right. The natural order is a thing of beauty and has all the answers to life's problems. The key is learning to sit back and recognize what is right in front of you.

Each individual is born with all the potential they need. The secret to a happy life is to recognize the role you were born into and then embrace it. Do what you were destined to do. The world is this elaborate system, and each one of us gets to play a part. And it's not something we have to guess about; it's imprinted on us, it's in our genes. Just look within.

In addition, you have to learn how you fit into the larger picture. Nature has a beautiful structure. Part of life is recognizing what role you play and how that role interconnects with the web of life. You're not alone. You're part of a complex system full of interdependencies.

The problem is there's so much going on that it's easy to lose track of what's already there. Too many individuals get so caught up in the details of their lives that they don't bother to sit back and understand the bigger picture. Green truly believes that the rest of the colors simply aren't taking the time to appreciate what is already there.

Kalemn would definitely be mono-black.

Notes: A character doesn't need to 100% embody a colour's characteristics to be aligned with it (that'd be a pretty one dimensional character). On the opposite end of the spectrum, some minor trait associated with a colour doesn't automatically make you aligned with that colour. Pretty much everyone gets curious now and then, that doesn't make everyone immediately Blue-aligned.

• Kouri: White.
  • Mikan: Green-Red.
  • Marcus: Red-Blue.
  • Hanus: Does not fit in this paradigm.
  • James: Black-Blue.

Rahim is most likely Red, with a splash of Green.

I would argue that your version of white is perhaps a little more forgiving than my own. White is less about Peace and more about Order. Heliod is still an embodiment of white, and he's a giant Prick.

I would argue that your version of white is perhaps a little more forgiving than my own. White is less about Peace and more about Order. Heliod is still an embodiment of white, and he's a giant Prick.

These are copy+pasted from the linked articles about the colours. Later on in the article it does clarify that White at it's worst easily falls into dogma and bureaucracy.

But yeah, definitely. White tends to lend itself most easily to good, but isn't inherently. Same as black lends itself most easily to evil, but again isn't inherently.

I'm having a hard time placing Alexander anywhere between black-red and black-blue. Most likely he's black-blue with a hint of red though.

Simply choosing a colour was far to easy, my friend. I raise you a card.

Amaia is probably tricolored red-black-white. Red fits like a glove, black fits well because she sees the world as a fucked up place where selfishness and strength rule, but she wishes that was not the case and tries to fight for it where she can so white also fits.

Also, to delve back into the previous iteration of LoR, Kasim was basically the poster boy of red and Zin was colorless.

Hmm, for the previous iteration, I'd say Thailen was Red/White, Abida was Green/Blue, Yuri was Green, and Kattalin was Blue/Black.

Fischer would probably be White-Black, while Cennick was just White.

The Bastard Duellist
Name: Cennick Greenborough
Sex: Male.
Appearance:

Cennick is a notably short man, falling on the wrong side of five-and-a-half feet tall, he sports an athletic though not muscular build putting him at a somewhere around one-hundred-and-forty pounds. Despite his vertical disadvantage the duellist is conventionally attractive, his features are strong and unmarred, his green eyes and charming demeanour doing the rest of the work. Well kept blond hair hangs past his shoulders, usually left loose, but is occasionally braided when it's length would get in the way. Only the faintest hint of a beard can be seen against his fair skin. It is not uncommon for for folk to mistake Cen for younger than he is, many just assuming he's just a very competent teenager.

Cen's clothing is practical in style, dyed in humble greens and yellows, but is expensive in material. His light suit of armour, mostly just a breastplate and arm-guards, is similarly simple in design and bereft of decoration, though it is polished to a blinding sheen.

Kouri Plushie.

Strengths:
  • Champion Duellist: Cennick's attendance at the Academy of Swordsmanship has left him with a deep understanding of swordsmanship and his short career as a professional duellist has only tempered his skill further. Assuming a roughly equal opponent Cen is nearly unbeatable in a one-on-one fight, though his skill in more practical combats may leave something to be desired.
  • Blade Master: Proficient in the use of of many different kinds of sword Cennick finds it useful to carry an array of blades into battle, each suited for different tasks.
    • Everforged Claymore: Given to Cennick by Fischer as a 'gift' in return for his service, this enchanted blade has quickly become the duellist's preferred weapon. This great sword runs six feet from pommel to point, dwarfing Cen, but aside from that it appears to be mundane. Only when Cen utters a verbal command does the Everforged Claymore show it's true power, it's blade glowing white hot as if freshly pulled from the embers of a forge. In this state the blade can glide through armour and flesh alike with contemptuous ease, though any wounds it may cause are instantly cauterized under the intense heat.
    • Thorn of the Forest: Cennick's sole weapon of choice until recently, this elven made longsword has tasted the blood of many even before the bastard got his hands on it. It's lightweight for it's size, prompting some folk to assume it's been enchanted, however those with the means to sense such things will see no spark of magic dance along the leaf-shaped blade. Even then, the blinding speed in which a skilled user can wield Thorn of the Forest will leave even the keenest of crusaders doubting their abilities.
    • Discipulus Gladium: Most graduates of the Academy of Swordsmanship let their graduation blade sit over some mantle, a nice piece of wall crockery or conversation piece in case of guests. Not one for crockery, conversation or guests Cennick has instead pressed it into practical use. Sitting somewhere between a smallsword and rapier, this thrusting blade is as functional as it is decorated. It just so happens that the alchemical silver plating used to make it extra shiny also makes it extra useful against certain supernatural beasties.
  • With Honours: Despite what it's name might suggest, The Academy of Swordsmanship does not exclusively focus on swordcraft. In fact it provides the most comprehensive education outside of the mage guild. Or so it's faculty say. Regardless, ten years at a boarding school puts a man far ahead of most others in a world without public education. Most notably Cennick can speak and understand most common languages with varying degrees of fluency as well as a spattering of more uncommon ones.
  • Pain Tolerance: Through a combination of sparring injuries, punitive switching and a healthy dose of mandatory beatings Cennick has earned himself a solid resilience to pain.
Weaknesses:
  • Green: The real world is a very different place then what academies teach, and while Cennick is rich in academic knowledge ten years cloistered away has done him few favours in dealing with more practical matters. He is notably naive, in the four short years on his own his trusting nature has already been abused a multitude of times to better the ends of others.
  • Bastard: The sad fact is, no matter what Cennick accomplishes in life he will always be tainted by his father's one bout of runaway lust. The Liverian courts will always treat him as a lesser person and any other noble who learns of his shame will most likely judge him for it.
  • Honour Bound: Growing up in a world where fair play was not only embraced, but enforced, Cennick has developed a very strong concept of honour. While this does benefit him around those with the same values it starts becoming a burden when dealing with, well, anyone else. He refuses to lie or steal under any circumstance and is utterly reviled by any notion of stealth or sabotage. Not surprisingly, he isn't popular among those who prefer to do their work in the shadows.
  • Intolerance: Not all taught the academies is academic, in such a isolated nation as Liveria hatred and mistrust is systemic. Knowing nothing else Cennick has taken the lessons of hatred as gospel and does not stray from their teachings. Vampires are monsters to be hunted, elves are cowards who hide in their forests, dwarves are greedy gits who hoard the riches of the underworld for themselves and so on so forth.

Biography:

Cennick Greenborough. Duellist. Champion. Scholar. Bastard. The word follows him like blood hound, biting at his heels when at all times. He can't escape it, even after a decade of education, consistently ranking among the top of his classes his family still looks upon him with shame. His father is understandable, it was ultimately his unbridled lust that led to the bastard's existence to begin with. But the others, sitting in their high castle with their pure blood, they judge not because of shame, but because it is customary. Only his brother Wayne spares him the grief, but only because he's a bastard of sort as well, not by birth, but by demeanour.

They shouldn't have been surprised when Cennick turned down that job as sheriff for some gods-forbidden village on the southern border. Despite what others thought, he was destined for greatness, not as the shepherd of peasants. Acting as a champion for those who could not defend themselves was much more rewarding work, both for his ego and his purse. Still that was not enough, his work was great, but not one of true greatness. It wasn't until he chanced upon the metal-armed man did true greatness gaze upon Cen.

The task was impossible, mad even. But what who else was better suited for such a task, who else was worthy to go on such a marvellous expedition. Of course he had to wait first, for who or what he was never told. Not until she arrived anyway. Now with the princess of legend here at last Cennick Greenborough can prove himself, not only to his family, but to the world.

Kasienka is a lovely blend of white and green with a stripe of red for the time being. After this journey, she may get a new stripe.

Baldrik would be closely related to White-Green (for Kouri).

And also-

Baldrik Larsson
(I know it took some time fellas, but sooner than later, right?)
First Impression.

Kouri: "The one and true heir to the Kingdom of Renalta! Let her mercy and compassion allow her Kingdom to rise once more, and to forever stand again! För dig, skulle jag göra vad som du än fråga, tusen gånger om (For you, I would do anything that you ask, a thousand times over)!"

Sisera: "Loyal man, served Kouri before me, which must make him a century old. Perhaps apart of the Messiah's plans as well. I just wonder, if he and I are alot like each other. He seems haunted by something, and the past that haunts my ancestors and me lays on the right side of my body."

Dean: "This man... I want to hate him for what he said about my ancestors and their beliefs, my beliefs... And yet, I can't help but not hate him. He taught me an important virtue, Patience, and also never drew the sword to begin with, whilst I tried with my family sword... Fan, vilken idiot jag är (Fuck, what an idiot I am)."

Fischer: "Very respectable man. He's a veteran, so he has definently more experience in combat than I do. He helped me out as well with the musket and it's ammunitions, and offered me some advice. I hope he and I survive the journey, because I really want to get to know him better once this is done and the prophecy's complete."

Samuel: "Well, he's a rich man, as far as I can tell. Has a wicked pet as well, although it'd have done better than the horse I got instead. Perhaps we could share an ale or two and recount our lifes one day."

Mikan: "Vad är det som du vill mig, kvinna? Du håller på som att du ger ut allt du har om någon bara frågar... Det gör mig väldigt oroligt över dig. Men ändå, så ser jag på dig att du är en snäll människa- bara fortsätt vara så (What is it you want from me, woman? You act like you give out every thing you have if someone just asks... It makes me very worried for you. But still, I see you are a nice human, just- please remain so)."

Marcus: "Well, out of all the people on our team, you are the last person I'd pick a fight with, right after Kouri, of course! It's great to see another fellow man stand up for Kouri, and I won't have any trouble trusting you."

Tahlia:"I wonder what tales you and your wolf have to share with me. You're almost like two beings sewn together as one, trying to adjust to this. I'm really, really intrigued by this, and you won't get on my bad side anytime soon. But, does your wolf stare at my arm out of curiousity, or does it think it looks tasty?"

Rahim: "You've got a nasty, presensce, around yourself whenever I'm around. Do you hate me, or am I simply being mistaken?"

Pat: "What's a postman doing here? Please, don't get me wrong but... I can't help but wonder, what is it that makes you so unique we had to include you? I by all means wouldn't want you kicked out, but I just want to know. Do you perhaps carry a different package that could help us against the gods?"

Kalemn: "Arn't you a feisty one. Not sure what to think of you, in my honest opinion. We should try to ease up around the firecamp whenever we could catch a break, perhaps over an ale as well?"

Amaia: "Worries me, just a bit. She doesn't seem to like me."

James: "Tricks... someone who specializes in cheating people out of their money, respect or identity. Sorry, thief, but I do not hold you in high regards right now. Perhaps we can be healed with time, but for now... just don't hinder us."

Alexander: "He's tickling the wrong nerves for me. Just suddenly talking against Mikan like that, I can't share too much respect for him. Sure, the gods arn't that good: But there are still gods who feel pity for us."

Linston: "Who?"

Kasienka: "Wasn't she the one who jumped into the Lake to aid Kouri? I should really try to talk with her, perhaps we could be friends?"

LiWei: "Uh, have we actually met before?"

Jaro: "You've walked around in that suit of armor for nearly hours without a break! Come on, just drop it and take a breather. I know what heavy armor like that can do to a man who's kept inside it for too long."

Hanus: "Mm, just made a few comments when I fought Mikan. I know nothing else of that man."

Cennick: "Mm. A fighter, no doubt about that. Claims to be a friend of Fischer, and as it goes: A friend of my friend, is also my friend. Let's hope he doesn't do anything drastic during the journey."

Last edited:
I figure I'll mention now, I've gotten quite busy of late. Until early April, I'll be running both full-time work and full-time university. Of course, I'm still open to collabs, but I feel it fair to warn anyone who might wish to pursue me that I can generally only reply once a day.

(I know it took some time fellas, but sooner than later, right?)
it's never too late

IC POST IS GOING UP FRIDAY. (11th.)

Don't be late, now. The posting rhythm is going to change with this post. There's going to be the first focus split. :ferret:

Reactions: Seba
Status
Not open for further replies.