The Legend of Renalta (IC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breach In Conduct
Collab with @Brovo

Fischer clinked as he made it down the stairs from his chambers, his figure positively gleaming with sheer amount of polished gold, silver and brass hanging off of him. He produced a silver pocket mirror from his coat, reaffirming that the make-up he was using to conceal an unexpected pimple was still holding up since the last time he checked only a few minutes before. Overall he felt quite overdressed and the stares from his fellow rangers as he made his way through the halls confirmed that he wasn't alone in the sentiment, but he was about to meet royalty and he decided he might as well make a good impression while doing it. He asked around for the princess' whereabouts and to his mild chagrin found that she had already found her way to the baths. Typical royalty, one would thing that after spending a millennia trapped under a lake a person would want to take a short break from immersing themselves.

Fischer was hardly dissuaded however and turned head to the baths himself, normally he would have just waited for her to come out, but this provided a unique opportunity to speak with Kouri with some semblance of privacy. He approached the ranger's guarding with a smile, "Good morning fellows, is Kouri taking visitors at the moment?" he stated simply, his metallic arm absent mindedly reaching into his coat.

The two guards look at each other as Kouri's voice can be heard from within. "Yes, one moment please." A minute of awkward silence passes as the guards try to ignore the gaudy, overdressed nature of the man in front of them. There were sounds of Kouri getting out of the bath, and as she did, she wrapped a towel around herself. While the steam obscured a clear view of her, it wouldn't once he was inside. "You may enter now stranger."

"Would a simple hello have been too difficult?" Fischer muttered at the guards as he crossed the doorway into the baths. He felt a cold sensation on his chest only to find his artificial limb acting on it's accord, with less than a thought he reasserted control, but was struck with a flash of horror when he found several gold coins clutched in it's hand. Redepositing the coins as quickly as he could Fischer looked up to greet Kouri only to find he could not speak. The poor lighting and his poor vantage during the legitimacy ceremony had done a disservice to her appearance, marking her out as merely beautiful, not the indescribable goddess he had standing half-naked before him. After a moment of gawking he reigned in his composure and franticly went to work repairing his shattered air of professionalism, "Good morning princess," he suddenly blurted, "I'm Ole Fischer, veteran warrior and financier of the King's Rangers. It's a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance, even in this unconventional setting."

Kouri notices his gaze, and instinctively tightens the towel around herself. "Ah. Princess Kouri, of Renalta." She bows her head politely. "A man of wealth, yet with the social graces of a commoner. An odd combination, I must admit, but not unwelcome. What brings your pleasant company here?"

The princess' comment stung at the mind of Fischer, but he managed to keep his demeanour in check. "Simply," he began, "I'm here to to meet our saviour in person, the one that will deliver us from the tyranny gods and such. I figured it best that I get my introductions in early before my 'fellow' rangers descend like wolves."

Kouri pauses, uncertain of how to reply, but eventually coming up with one. "Your fellow rangers have actually largely chosen not to."

"Huh, is that so?" Fischer stood silent for a moment, thinking over his next plan of action, "In that case I think it's best I take my leave now and save the talk of business to when we meet again in a more dignified locale. I'm sorry for interrupting your bath."

Kouri bows her head politely, a smile on her lips. "Thank you."

Fischer turned to leave the room, shooting the guards a nod that conveyed "Don't ever speak of this." Or at least so he hoped. The short encounter had left him with an uneasy queasiness, similar to the sensation one would receive after being kicked in the gut. The unmistakable feeling you had just made a complete ass of yourself. He shook the thought, the consequences would come soon enough, there were other matters to attend to and the thought of a bath was suddenly quite appealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rahim and LiWei - Scars Tell Tales Men Cannot Say
(Collab between @Limeypanda and @Soulless)​

LiWei settled in the baths quite early, really early- perhaps even a little before sunrise. He looked around, knocked the door, and stepped inside. He stripped his clothing off, including the bandages, and stepped into the warm water. He sat down in it, wondering what kept them so pleasantly warm. He sighed and let his sore muscles relax, though he only felt the soreness where the flesh was actually his. He set about rubbing the dirt out from his runes with a washcloth and soap. As much as he loved travel, he so missed this pampering.

Rahim had always prided himself on waking early. It was a remnant of his past life, and he remembered it even in these foreign lands. As such, when Rahim made his way towards the bathroom, he was surprised not only to see that one of them was under guard by a number of the King’s Rangers, but that the other one had a man sitting inside; dabbing himself with a wash cloth. The Amazon was slightly perplexed by it all, but at the same time he could feel the warmth of the bath radiating through the room. So, without much further thinking, Rahim stripped himself and walked into the bath; lowering his immense, scarred body into the water. After a moment, the large man let out a contented sigh, as he lowered himself further into the waters. “By all the ancestors; that feels good.”

LiWei thought about grabbing his cloak as soon as Rahim entered, but it was too late. The fellow had already walked in. He took a breath, tense and angry, and might have shot a glare to Rahim's direction as the latter was undressing. Several rude thoughts entered his mind, many of which he had no words to express in the common tongue. He licked his lips a few times, deciding what to do. No doubt Rahim had likely spotted his runes at this point, several of them for each of his limbs, looking like fresh wounds carved down to the bone. It almost looked as if the terrible mess of dried blood and scabbing expected had crystalized to some kind of iridescent stone, reminiscent of opal. He settled in the water a bit deeper.

This was uncomfortable. Maybe if he played it off, Rahim may not have noticed it yet.

"Yes. It does feel good, doesn't it." He continued cleaning himself, this time under the water, still feeling somewhat violated in his privacy. "I do not believe I have been formally introducing to you. I am Zhong LiWei. Please call me LiWei."

Rahim, on the other hand, was as comfortable as he had been in a number of days. Whatever tension LiWei was feeling was clearly not mutual. Not looking at the man, Rahim said, "I am Rahim. Nothing else." The Amazonian reached for a piece of cloth over to his left as he continued to not pay much attention to LiWei outside of casual conversation. "You seem tense, LiWei. Is this something I can help with?"

"No. I just... did not expecting the company this morning. You do not speak much like everyone else here." He commented, hopefully non-offensively. "It is nice to meet you, Rahim. You are covered in much signs of your battles." He offered his hand to shake, runes, scars, and all.

Rahim did not seem to take any offense, as he turned to look at the offered hand. It took him a moment, but he eventually recalled the custom of shaking hands. Taking LiWei's hand with perhaps a tad too much enthusiasm, Rahim shook it once before releasing it. "I am from a different part of the land to most," He said, before offering a smile to the smaller man. "Fighting is a part of my life. My scars are important, because they make my words truer. I have survived and that makes me wiser than those who do not."

Rahim paused, realising that he'd probably said more than he should. He wasn't always sure about when he should start or stop talking. It was a skill others had seemingly mastered. "Where did you get your scars? They look like they tell interesting stories."

LiWei gives a bashful smile as he shakes, gently, or as much as he could without coming off as a blushing woman. "Well, I will say it is a long story and, forgive, it is painful to say about. Perhaps later if we become good friends, I can talk. But I will right now have to ask to keep these scars a secret." He took his shaking hand and brought it to his lips in a shushing motion. Then he shook his head. "How about tell me your part of this land? I am new to the land itself. I am a bit ignorant to all parts."

Rahim looks over at the smaller man; his eyebrow raising over the sudden prudishness of the foreign man. It seemed bizarre beyond all belief that a man would be unwilling to share the stories of one's scars. To Rahim; the stories of war-wounds were the ones you shared around a camp-fire - or in this case, in a heated lake - with pride.

When asked about his homeland though, Rahim paused; before offering a sly smirk. "Perhaps when we are good friends, I will tell you about my homeland. It would be shameful for me to speak of that place now; freely." Rahim took a moment to scrub the larger scar on his chest; easily the most prominent war-wound he bore. "Since we are both full of secrets; how about a deal? I will tell you about this scar if you tell me about your homeland. The way you speak, and the name you call your own; they are unlike others."

LiWei smiled a bit at that. Good man. Clever. Not just from some savage idiot warrior tribe that got themselves hurt for pride. "Deal. My family name is Zhong. My land is far to the easy, across ocean. I speak 官話 (Guānhuà). It is the speech of the educated and official people." He nodded and seemed to take some pride in it. "My homeland is very different in many ways, from how to eat to how to think. If I was telling you all things, it would take many years, and then more. Some scholars of my land study the history of just old literature for the whole of their life."

Rahim paused to listen to LiWei's descriptions of his home land, offering no change of facial expression to indicate what he thought of it all. Internally, he was a strange mix of confused and horrified. The idea of spending an entire life time just...studying someone else's work? That sounded like hell. Why would someone spend their time studying someone else's achievements when they could be attempting to leave their own mark on the world? It seemed like a waste of a perfectly good life. Instead of actually broaching these concerns though, Rahim just offered an almost awkward; "I see."

Taking a moment, Rahim tried to think about how he could correctly offer up a description of what he thought about LiWei's home, but couldn't. It baffled him. Instead, he reached a thumb down to the prominent scar and began to speak. "I got this wound when I was in my ninth summer. I was watching the other hunters, and one of them decided to try and scare me off. They thought I was not worthy of the right. They threw a spear at me; I think in an attempt to narrowly miss me. Instead, it slashed across my chest and nearly killed me. I would probably not be alive if not for my village's Shaman." He sighs wistfully. It was a strange memory for him. One that was filled with pain, and yet helped to define his character.

LiWei watched Rahim struggle without comment- clever. but perhaps from an unclever society. Not that he would actually express such judgements of course. People are meant to have their own societies and their own cultures as equal to his own. "A shaman, hm. I didn't know they had shamans here. They are not so different from the old sages of my homeland." He offered, in a way to bond at least. This man, Rahim must be strange. A stranger in his own homeland, perhaps, from being so isolated in his own culture. "How do you like the group of people you have met here so far?"

Rahim pouts at the question about the others. Truth be told, he'd met very few of them. Far less than he'd like, considering how much they would likely affect his life in the future. "Well; some of them would not have been my first choice for companion..." He thinks about the few people he'd talked with thus far; some were rude, and some were evasive, and some more still were interesting beyond explanation. "...and yet I find my self looking forward to the next adventure, and its inevitable retelling."

"I hope you earn many new scars to talk about."
LiWei smiles, friendly as he could be and his tenseness seemingly gone. "Are you concerned any of our travel mates could wish harm to her royal highness princess Kouri?"

Rahim looks over at LiWei, eyebrow raised for a moment at the man who literally just wished him injury, before laughing. After taking a few moments to recompose himself, Rahim found himself sinking a few more inches into the bath; relaxing further into the warm embrace of the water. "Truth be told, I don't think anyone in our group would live more than a few heartbeats if they made moves against the blue-haired shaman. Ignoring her own strengths, which she used to freeze an entire lake, she has at least one follower worth fearing...probably more we don't even know about yet."

Rahim sighed heavily, as if he had finally made a decision about something. With a sudden movement, Rahim stood up in the bath, looking down and offering LiWei a curious look. The Amazon was still smiling with the same contentedness he'd had throughout the conversation, but there was a glimmer in his eye as well. "And besides, if anyone wished harm against the Kouri, I would break them in half." With that, Rahim stepped out of the bath, and grabbed a towel. He wrapped the cloth around himself, before turning back to LiWei. "Thank you for sharing this bath with me. The company was good." He waited for LiWei's final response, before he made he left, making his way to the chambers he'd slept in last night.

LiWei leans back as Rahim spoke. Shamans were just magic-users, it seems, in wherever the man was from. How interesting. He closes his eyes and just listens to the movement of water and the padding of feet against the ground to give himself awareness of where Rahim was at any time. "I hope you will not have to kill anyone." He says with some seriousness to his tone. "We should share a bath again, because I found it pleasant too. Thank you as well. Have a nice day. I will stay here a little longer." And so he did.

Palm Greasing
Outside the operation room
Collab between Ole Fischer (@Snakey) and Kalemn Weller (@HerziQuerzi)
The sergeant hung just outside the doors of the operation chamber, in any other situation at any other time he would have bound in like a child let loose to play. His previous interaction with Kouri held raw in his mind however, the definition of a botched first impression if there ever was one. So he indulged on another childhood tradition, standing just out of the boundaries of a superior's vision while hastily trying to form an excuse for his past actions. He watched as people trickled into the room, some his fellow rangers, many Kouri's motley lot. One of said lot managed to catch his eye. A roughed of scrapper of a woman, complete with burn scars and a foggy eye. Out of place even in the princess' menagerie of strange.

"Hey you!" he spoke in an authoritative tone as he pointed to the woman, "Come here, I need to speak to you."

Hesitating a moment, Kalemn did as the man said. She came to a stop just before the rugged fellow, hand resting on the hilt of her sword and face wary in the dim lighting. Yes?" She asked. "Something the matter?"

"Quite right there is." Fischer continued in his loud tone before leaning in close, shifting to a quickened whisper, "I just need you to do me a quick favour, vouch to go over the mountains. You do not need to make a long winded argument for it, though that wouldn't hurt, you just need to throw your support for it." he reached into his coat, producing a single gold coin and swiftly placed it in Kalemn's hand, "I'll have a few more for you when it's done, possibly a little something else as well."

Kalemn leaned against the wall, slipping the coin out of sight. Frowning, she glanced into the operations room, tables covered in maps and charts. "Haven't even heard what your Commander has to say yet," she said, uncertain. "There a reason you're so wanting to head that way? A few gold coins won't do much for me if we're sold out."

Fischer stared back for a second and then out a low snicker, "Sold out? Believe me, if this proposition carried any more consequence than a bit of condemnation from our peers I wouldn't be holding it right out in the open. As for what I want, well, there is a ranger outpost up there and it contains some of my things if which I would like to retrieve."

"Small reason," Kalemn said, scratching at her nose. "Still, I've laid low in the mountains before. I've no issue going there again." She gave Fischer a quick grin. "Looks like a deal to me, old timer."

"Laid low, eh? Sounds like you might be useful than I originally thought." Fischer snickered again, exhibiting a tab bit more menace than he would have liked, "Make sure to see me after the meeting and uh..." He returned to his louder volume, "... All right you're good to go." And then slipped around the corner and into the operation room.

Dean and Kouri​

Pre-Meeting​

Dean was tired to say the least. After his brief meal he had found himself still quite frustrated with previous events. His chat with Pat had done little to calm his mood, and he was left with little to do but wander. He found the complex less expansive than he might have hoped, and wishing to leave the Princess with her peace he had all but avoided where she was staying. He had soon found himself bored and upset. As the hours passed, people had gone off to sleep, or had found other activities to spend the night on, but Dean had found his way back to the training room. This time dummies the target of his frustration.

Now, by the activity inside the complex Dean believed it to be morning, and he realized he had trained through the night. Not an uncommon occurrence, but certainly not one he overly enjoyed. Wherever the fates dragged him today, he would do so with less jump in his step than he had the day before. Finding a flourishing famine growing inside him he decided it might be best to see if the Rangers were kind enough to supply some kind of meal to the soon to be intrepid explorers. As he walked into the meal hall, he was relieved not to be disappointed and soon found a suitable ration for himself.

With his meal in hand, he scanned the room for a friendly face. As luck would have it the first one he saw already appeared to be seated as well, which served Dean fine as he had no intention of sitting with any of the Rangers. Less luckily the friendly face happened to be that of the Princess. Rather more sheepishly than he hoped he made his way opposite to where she sat. With his approach he gave a slight nod of his head. "Pardon a peasant his poor manners if I sit down?"

"Please." Kouri motions, as she was starting to wrap up with her meal. She had eaten most of it. "I would enjoy the company."

"Only a day out of the pond and already making time for your subjects? You'll be a Queen of legend instead of a Princess if you keep this up." He joked while taking a seat across the table.

The princess gives him a polite smile, but even he could tell that she didn't seem to find the joke all that humorous. Nonetheless, it didn't seem to offend her, as her tone was steady and friendly. "I have followers, not servants." She momentarily glances toward a nearby King's Ranger, who was watching over her from a distance. "At least... Not unwilling servants. Still, do you have something on your mind, Dean?"

Dean's face would fall flat much in the same way his attempt at a joke did. He toyed with his food, taking a small bite as Kouri continued though not entirely sure what he had said wrong. "Something on my mind?" The corners of his mouth pulled into a neat smile then "Barely ever Princess. I was simply looking for some company myself, and figured I wouldn't find it among the Rangers."

Kouri relaxes a little as looks down upon her food, and starts taking additional bites out of it, though slowly, as she was enjoying her meal. "Would you mind then if I asked you some questions?"

Dean noticed his eyes had been wavering in search of Marcus, weary of seeing him and putting his stomach off. He yawned slightly but chuckles a bit as Kouri asked permission "Given the hassle I've already been? Sure. I can spare a few answers for whatever questions you have."

"What are these lands like without the kingdom I grew up in?" Kouri asks, curiosity in her tone, but also a hint of fear.

A soft nature took hold of him as he realized what she was asking. His mouth was left hanging for a moment as he searched for the proper words. "Scarred might be a bit harsh, but it suits. People survive, some are happy, but they all know the way it could have been, the way it was." He paused, feeling as if he were juggling words, trying to find the right ones to pass to her.

"There were rules, laws, back when this was a Kingdom. Now? You play by a different set anytime you stray too far from your own house. You live by rules set by whoever holds the biggest stick and then pray no one decides to break 'em. Enforcement starts and ends with the man on top..." The rest of his breath escaped him as he caught himself mid-rant. "Sorry." He managed "But the people, common folk? Same as they've ever been I'd bet. Renaltan stock straight outta legend if the ones I've met are the norm."

Kouri sighs as a little relief seems to run through her dropping shoulders. "Well, at least there's that. What of Gault? What is this... Rheinfeld?"

"One thing you can always count on is folk's tendency to keep on, keeping on." He smiled as he took another bite of food. "Meanwhile Gault..." he racked his brain for any mention from Ryker on the subject. He snapped his fingers as realization flashed on his face, and he nearly spat some of his food out. "Gault! Collection of Barbaric tribes, north of Renalta, right?" He exclaimed, trying to sound more interested than excited.

"United under a monarchy. Like my own, but, more... Brutal." Kouri replies, as she stops eating, now focused on the conversation at hand. "I guess they're gone too... Rheinfeld? What are they like?"

"Well that makes more sense now." He reflected on the conversation Mikan and Kouri had had back at the pond, how it had seemed the languages were so similar just.... different. "Well in a way, Gault is still lingering around. They tore down their monarchy, they got a whole lot more religious, founded the church, the priests, and of course the Templar, and with everything else united under a new name, Rheinfeld."He stopped his meal once more, trying to bring forth an accurate description of Rheinfeld, but it dawned on him the Princess had already used it. "Brutal is a great way to describe them. They have an absolute hatred for magic in all forms except for their so called 'holy' magic, which they pretend to be miracles bestowed upon them by the Gods they love and worship so dearly... They aren't well liked as a whole, and they don't like others as a rule."

Kouri raises one of her hands, with hints of a blue aura running along her hand. "... That anti-magic stance might pose a problem later."

Dean leans back and whistles lightly. He nods for a moment "I'd say it will indeed. Though with your history I think it's a safe bet that I have a better chance of making nice with the Commander than you do with the mighty theocracy of Rheinfeld."

"Perhaps." Kouri mutters as she looks down at the wooden table between them. She looked rather solemn. "What of your family? Are they safe at least?"

Dean would rest his hands on the table as she asked the question. It wasn't shocking that she would ask about his family, but the subject still stung a bit to dig into. "Not to rub salt in any wounds, but they're certainly safer now than they were while they lived in the remnants of Renalta."

"That's..." Kouri hesitates, and looks at Dean's body language. She lowers her eyes further to her hands, and then closes them. "I am sorry, I didn't mean to bring up any wounds... I wish these lands were safer than they are now. It is something I hope to change."

Dean smiled lightly, his hands coming to rest in his lap. "I'm worried you may have misinterpreted my words, mine is a different wound, honestly I'm just glad they're safe now. I was actually worried that insulting these lands may upset you, not my intention."

"Well... They aren't really my lands anymore." Kouri replies softly as she clears her throat. "I will make them mine again, better than they are. Safer. Without fear of Rheinfeld, or bandits... Or Gods." She stops to take another bite out of her meal, and then looks up at Dean once more. "So that people won't have to flee these lands anymore."

"I appreciate the sentiment. If that's not something others can rally behind then there's little that would. Though you shouldn't grieve for my family's departure." Dean replied as he returned attention to what remained of his meal. "It's my understanding they live quite lavishly now." He finished as he rolled his eyes.

"Lavishly?" Kouri replies with curiosity in her tone. "Do you not visit them sometimes?"

"Hmm, her husband's of some social standing. Quite the scandal to bring her home I assure you." He taps the table lightly, feeling a bit uncomfortable, but laughing all the same. "Even more so if I were ever to visit! I've not seen them since starting with Ryker. Close on 5 years now."

"Who is Ryker?" Kouri asks, raising her eyebrows as she puts what remained of her meal aside. She presses her elbows onto the table and then rests her chin on her hands. "I've heard you mention his name often. Is he a legendary warrior?"

"My mentor of sorts I suppose." He said rubbing the back of his head. "That's how I've been describing him more and more anyway. As for his legendary status, I guess that really depends on the circle you ask in."

"I see." Kouri says quietly as she looks back over to her meal, which was growing cold now. She drags it back over and starts eating once more, unsure of how to continue the conversation.

"I had only ever heard one side of his legends. The ones that made him out as a saviour or hero. Living as I have with him though..." he winces slightly, memories surging forward in his mind like needles "Well needless to say I don't think of people as quite so black and white now. Which hopefully sheds some light on why I was maybe a bit more skeptical of you than I should have been."

"Well... I understand why you were. In truth, I was supposed to return in ten years, not a thousand... I wonder what happened to the people who were supposed to awaken me." Kouri finishes her meal, and pushes it aside, looking around the room. The dining hall seemed so empty, only a few others were eating. It was as though the King's Rangers were giving her constant space. She looks Dean eye to eye. "What do you think of me now, Dean?"

Dean lightly places his utensil on his now clear plate, almost wishing there was more, but deciding not to get up. "If you're actually asking yourself that, I suggest you speak with Baldrik on the subject. A rather heated discussion revealed he's in possession of actual books on that very subject." He notices the Princess had also finished her own meal, and looks up to meet her gaze. "Now? Personally? I can't really say I know you well enough to make any judgement calls. I think you're more than the legends say, of course, but that's just about all I know about you." Dean thinks for a moment. "All that, and that I'm not regretting jumping into that pond just yet."

Kouri smiles softly. "Well, that's good." She remains seated, quietly, simply seeming to enjoy the momentary peace she had. "I will see you in the operations room soon then?"

Dean found himself nodding in agreement once again. “I wouldn't claim to be a scholar of anything, but I know enough not to be led blindly into anything. If I'm going to be joining along with you, you can be sure I have something to say on the subject.” he looked around to those in the room, some Rangers others from the group from the pond. A curious look came over Dean’s face. “Though whether I'm lost in the torrent of voices, who could know? I'll be there regardless.”

Kouri nods in thanks, then closed her eyes and quietly contemplates the times to come.

From there Dean could tell she could tell she needed perhaps a bit more space, politely excused himself from the table, and went off in search of something to occupy himself until the meeting took place.

A Busy Morning
Featuring Kasienka, Kouri, Ole Fischer, and Hanus (Seba, Brovo, Snakey, Brovo)
TL;DR at the bottom

A Guarded Bath

Her bed has been soft and her sleep more satisfying than it had been in months. Of course waking up brought along other, more unpleasant feelings. Her mouth was sour and her hair was clumped in odd places. It all reminded her of diving into the lake and failing to bathe since then. Kasienka rolled herself out of bed, collected the soft black fleece leggings and a lavender linen tunic.

She had found the bathing rooms on her way to her borrowed room and she headed there again now. Unfortunately, she and her small parcel of bath things were stopped by guards outside of the chamber. They were hardly taller than her, but had enough armor on to make her raise an eyebrow. "Do I wish to know what's occurring in there? Or are you simply standing to make sure males don't join the fairer sex in the baths?"

The King's Rangers don't budge for their positions, though Kouri's voice rings out from within the steam-filled room. "Kasienka? Give me a moment." The guards wait as the sounds of water sloshing about leave the room. After another minute or so, Kouri speaks once more. "Alright. Let her enter." The guards move their weapons away from the doorway, and nod to Kasienka.

Kasienka chuckled softly at the guards, patting one's shoulder as she padded into the room. The steam breathed warmth and moisture into her lungs as she inhaled, a smile growing on her face. She set her small bundle down on a dry surface then turned to look at Kouri, tilting her head to the side. "Am I interrupting you Princess?"

Kouri stood simply, wearing a blue towel around herself. It had the King's Rangers heraldry on it, which was a simple modification of the Renaltan Royalty heraldry. The towel clung to her wet skin, and her blue hair hung about her face and neck in a tangled, messy heap. "It's nice to see you again. My apologies for the manners of the guards, but, I think I understand why they're so... Protective."

Kasienka giggled softly then nodded in agreement. She started to lift her tunic off to prepare for a bath until the state of the princess's hair caught her eye. She put her arms back at her side and tilted her head to the side. She opened her mouth to speak, closed it, then opened it again. "Princess, your hair... Might I help you with it?" While she didn't say it, it wasn't hard to see that it strongly like resembled a strangely colored, drowned, rat's nest in its current state.

Kouri looked away the moment Kasienka began disrobing, only to hear her speak again about her hair. Looking toward the barely visible ceiling, she brushes her hair aside, and then slowly sits down beside the large bath. "If you wouldn't mind..."

Kasienka smiled as the girl avoided her sight every way possible. She fetched her hair brush then moved to sit behind the princess. She put her legs on either side of the princess before slowly starting to tease the tangles and knots out of Kouri's hair with her fingers first. "Tell me if I pull on accident. Some women's heads are softer than others." Her voice was low and soft as her fingers moved in and out of the blue locks.

"I think I'll be--" Kouri flinches as one of Kasienka's hands breaks through an especially tight knot. "... Fine." She takes a deep breath, and exhales slowly. "Just fine."

She knew exactly what the flinch was for, and felt a pang of guilt. If Kouri wasn't going to complain, however; she would continue. Her fingers became gentler still as she kept working, waiting until the hair was to the point where using the brush wouldn't be torturous. "Have you ever brushed your own hair, Your Grace?"

"Yes." Kouri states simply, as she remains seated beside the bath, dipping her legs into it. She closes her eyes and smiles a little. "I remember learning how to do so when I was younger... I wanted to take care of myself. Thought I couldn't rule a kingdom if I couldn't take care of my own hair."

"One may be able to argue that hair is more complicated than matters of state at times. I once sat with a High Prince who would tell his princess that every time she had a different look. It made them smile so I found a different style everyday until I was called elsewhere." She was smiling as the hair began to show her effort and lay as flat as it might.

Taking some of it into her hands again, the brush set aside, she began to make two braids on each side that would join in the back. "Did you get any good rest, dear?"

Kouri raises one of her hands and grasps Kasienka's hand, though it was gentle. "I prefer my hair without braids... As for rest, it was... Well, once I got to sleep, it was acceptable."

Kasienka left Kouri's hair loose at her request, gently squeezing her shoulder as she started to stand. "I'm glad you got some rest, Princess. Your hair is as untangled as it will be for the day."

Kouri turns and smiles, looking at Kasienka with warmth in her eyes. "Thank you, Kasienka."

She pulled the far younger girl into a hug then very lightly ruffled the freshly brushed, but damp hair. Before getting up she did smooth it. Once on her feet she started to go about getting herself ready for a bath, her tunic first to be cast aside. “Of course, Princess Kouri. I am always available to you.”

"Ah, er, uh--" Kouri is utterly flabbergasted as Kasienka hugs her, and then starts stripping out of her clothes. She turns away and takes a few steps back. "I-I'll just use the other bath. .. If you really want to use this one." It seemed that the princess was uncomfortable with the idea of sharing the bath with someone she didn't know.

Now Kasienka had been under the impression that the princess had already bathed and was quite finished. The miscommunication had her face turned a delicate pink as she was quick to collect her tunic, though she still had a soft white shirt on. "No, Princess, you were here first. I was under the impression you had finished. I will go to the next one." Before Kouri could protest, the elf was already in the next room.

A Guard in a Bath

Fischer had just settled into the bath as the newcomer stepped in, it seemed only princesses were afforded the luxury of privacy in the compound now. He stifled his contempt upon getting a full appraisal, it was one of Kouri's travel companions. One of the less rough ones to boot. "Uh, hello. Who are you?"

"Kasienka Ellarion, sir. I hope you won't mind me joining you. As I'm sure you're aware, the other baths are occupied." As she spoke she continued to disrobe, and was soon in the wonderfully warm water with her soaps and bit of sponge. "And who are you?"

"Oh, where are my manners, I'm Ole Fischer." his eyes darted about the room in a vain effort to ignore the woman undressing right in front of him, "And yes, I'm quite aware who's occupying the other bath. I'm guessing your blood doesn't run a deep enough purple to warrant entry so you've come to bathe with the rabble?" A brief chuckle escaped him.

Kasienka laughed in turn then waved a sudsy hand. "My blood could run deeper than the sea and I would have absolutely no means of knowing. I am more than happy to associate with the rest of you because of it." She moved slowly in the water, enjoying it's warmth and silky feeling in comparison to the cold, dirty lake from the days before. "I don't believe I saw you on the walk here."

"Oh, well that's because I live here, part of the time at least. I'm a ranger of sorts, though most others here see me as either their private bank or a preening cripple who doesn't do his share of the work." Ole paused, though from his sour expression it was clear he could have kept going on he had wanted. "Er, sorry about that, what was it you were saying about your blood, deeper than the sea?"

Kasienka was more interested in the man than in her own stories. "It's a jab at my race's misfortune. I don't remember much of anything of my heritage. I don't know who my parents were. I could be almost as royal as the princess and I have no means of knowing." She dipped her head into the water briefly to get suds out of her hair, then began to tease knots out once she surfaced. "Though by the sound of it... Your bank would imply you're a touch royal yourself."

Fischer forced a laugh. "If only, someone might actually listen to me if that was the case. No, you can say I've always been a merchant of sorts. First of steel and after that went awry..." He waved his shoulder stub, "... I went in to the more lucrative business of mining. I assure you it's a very dry subject to those not familiar with the intricacies."

Kasienka had tried to ignore the stump up until now, but since had waved it... She began to move closer to him in the tub, slowly as not to spook him. "May I look at it?"

"Oh, uh, of course. Though may I ask why you would want to do that?"

"I am curious, good sir. I'm a healer by trade and nature." She reached for his arm slowly, still giving him a chance to pull back if he had second thoughts. "I like to see the craftsmanship of my peers."

"If it's craftsmanship you want I'd look over there," Fischer motioned to the neatly folded pile of clothing lying in the corner with what looked to be a metallic arm resting on top. It laid still for a moment, then suddenly started thrashing about as if it was trying to wave to the pair in the pool. "I swear it's more impressive when worn."

Kasienka looked where she as bid, and her eyes grew wide. She was quickly out of the bath and peering at the arm, her head going from side to side and eyes darting about. She sucked her teeth for a second then moved to get back in the warm water before the chill of the air could settle against her damp skin. "I have no doubt. That is beyond anything I have seen in my living memory. What is it? Where did it come from?"

Fischer was taken aback, most folk just thought of the arm as a curiosity at best, with only those practised in smithing taking their time to examine the craftsmanship further. "It's really nothing much, just a nigh perfectly articulated steel arm specially commissioned from a master dwarven smith then imbued with powerful enchantments that give it life as well as a link to my mind. Cost about as much as a small fortress and then some, but I've never regretted the investment."

"Well Fischer, it's certainly a spectacle to behold. In all my years I've never seen something like it. Consider me duly impressed." She tried to make eye contact with him, though there was only one orb she could try to read. "Though as impressive as the arm itself is, I would pay a pretty penny to meet the creatures that enchanted it."

"That's a little complicated, I can only say they are a very secretive bunch and they don't like to be pestered. Maybe if I got to know you better I could recommend you to their services in good faith, but right now I can't risk angering them in case of the unlikely situation something goes wrong."

It was only after his explanation did Fischer notice that the woman seemed deeply interested in his eye, instinctively he went to wink, only the eye he tried winking with didn't exist any more so he just sort of stared back, "You're actually interested in what I'm saying aren't you?”

Kasienka nodded slowly then simply sunk into the hot water until it tickled her chin. The warm water did its best to free the tension from her body. When Fischer addressed her again she sat up with a smile. "Sir Fischer, if I didn't want to keep your company I would have chosen another bath. I wasn't interested in your story and your knowledge I would not bother you with words when we sit in the bath." Her voice was soft as it almost always was, and her smile mirrored her tone.

He raised a brow, not in excitement or confusion, but genuine curiosity. "Well you're a very intriguing woman yourself Miss Ellarion, would it be appropriate to ask a few questions for myself? What is a woman such as yourself doing a dark place like this? Maybe it's naive of me, but you seem like a genuinely honest person, one that does not need to associate herself with sneaks and vigilantes, I know you came here with the princess, but why do you remain?"

"This is no darker than the rest of the world, sir. I don't know how well travelled you are, but I would go so far as to say that there are far darker places hardly a week's journey from here. There are beds, food, warmth, and even baths. It is dark only because you have been waiting for the Princess for so long. I will stay with her until she no longer enjoys my company. Then I will find a new task to busy myself with." She began to tease knots out of her hair again, trying to keep her fingers from being idle.

"Clever dodge," Fischer chuckled, "But it does open up one of the more pressing questions, why do you care to travel with the princess? What about her cause pressures you to join her?"

She was quiet for a moment then reestablished eye contact with the man. "I have lived for over a thousand years. While I cannot remember them in the majority, I can know with confidence that I was there when the kingdom fell. I want to complete this story, dear Fischer. If nothing else... My feet aren't telling me to go anywhere else."

Over a thousand? he wordlessly mouthed. At first his brow raised in a spark of surprise, but it quickly smouldered down to a resting position then even lower into a stare of mild confusion, "Well, if it means anything, you don't a day over three-hundred." He chuckled again, this time a touched by a hint of sadness.

Kasienka laughed then shook her head a little. "I thank you for that, Fischer. The years have been kind to my body if not to my mind. Have I answered your questions?"

"Yes." Fischer simply replied and stood up to leave the warm waters. "It's been an enlightening conversation Kasienka, but time is fleeting and I must take my leave." With that he stepped out of the bath and made way to his paraphernalia, strapping on his artificial arm with some sort of rigging harness, "I hope the journey to come brings what you seek, with a little luck the ending of this sordid tale will bring on a new chapter of peace and prosperity to the world. With a little more it could even be just the start of my own great story." He finished getting dressed and left, speaking no more.

Kasienka gave Fischer his privacy as he exited the bath, but when she heard the arm moving she tilted her head to watch how the contraption worked. She nodded as he left, and soon was following his lead by leaving the baths. It was easy for her to use a drop of magic to dry her body and hair before pulling on her felt leggings, with soft leather on the inside thighs, and the cotton undershirt and tunic. With that she was on her way to the dining hall.

A Blunt Breakfast

In the dining room, Hanus leaned against one of the walls, his arms crossed over his chest. His eyes wandered over the entrances, as he waited patiently for someone to arrive. A couple King's Rangers momentarily eyed him with distrust, until it became clear that his interest wasn't in Kouri. No, his eyes continued to wander patiently, in an inhuman fashion, until the person of his interests walks into the room.

As Kasienka gets her food and sits down to eat, she would hear Hanus sit across from her. He was wearing simple leathers, a loose fitting shirt and pants, cinched tightly at his waist with a belt. His leather boots allowed him to move with some measure of quiet. Though he wore his weapons, they seemed oddly 'quiet' today, as opposed to yesterday.

He clears his throat, his tone holding a level of respect one would ordinarily think of giving to nobility. "Kasienka, would you permit my company? I believe we have more to discuss..." Kasienka would be able to tell that he had some interest in her simply by the way his eyes flickered across her a couple times. He was trying to figure her out.

Kasienka knew when she was being watched, and did nothing to stop it. She took her time collecting her breakfast then settled herself at the table. She had the first forkful in her mouth when Hanus started talking, and she made him wait so she could clear her tongue. "You are always welcome to sup with me, Hanus. You would be hard pressed to find someone I would refuse from my table in this crowd. What is it you wish to talk to me about?" Her bare feet were tucked under her folded legs. This position made it easier to leave in a hurry, not that she expected she would. By now it was habit.

Hanus tilts his head as he looks over the way she was ready to bolt at any moment. He raised an eyebrow, but says nothing about it. Instead, he answers her query bluntly, though with genuine interest in his voice. "You're far from home. I want to know what you're doing. Why are you so far from a place where you would be guaranteed home and the comfort of anyone you choose."

"If I could remember that, Hanus, it would do me no service. All it would do is provide an answer for a rare question." She moved around fruit on her plate again then took a small bite. Such sweet food had almost been forgotten to her, and she relished the flavor now. "So while I don't remember why I left, I know that for now I am simply biding my time by exploring the world. I keep notes of where I have been, what the people are like, and what they want. I let my feet guide me for I know my muscles remember what my brain cannot.

"I seek a cure for my people's children, that much I know. I can't know if that is why I left originally, but I can never forget their plight. So I wander to where I believe I need to be and do what I can once I get there. Whatever ails them is usually something I can fix in one way or another, and then I move onto the next place. After being apart of this world for so long, I have found this is the simplest life for me."
She picked up her glass with both hands and near cradled it as she looked across the rim at Hanus. "Now I ask the same from you."

Hanus, notably enough, had brought nothing to eat at the table. He seemed quite content sitting there and watching her consume her meal without complaint. When she asks him for why he was far from his home, she could hear a hint of a magical whisper through the air. Hanus taps one of his throwing axes, and it suddenly stops as quickly as it started, his eyes narrowing momentarily, before looking down toward the table itself. "You were very forthright about your noble answer, so I will be about mine as well." He then looks back up at Kasienka and looks her eye to eye, and she could discern quite quickly thanks to her medical training that he had something on his eyes, disguising their real colouration. "I seek what my people call... Osvobozhdeniye. (Absolution.) It essentially means that I seek my death for an honourable cause." He snorts, and looks up at the ceiling. "If I fail to find my death with Kouri, then I would be glad to find it aiding in a cause as noble as saving your ailing race."

All Kasienka could respond with was silence. She set her drink down and simply watched the man with odd eyes, tilting her head to the side slightly. "Hanus I think you will find it rather difficult to die when I now have motivation to keep you alive. I would be honored if you would join me in my journey. Although, you'll have to recognize that my journey may stretch on for the rest of my life. There are days where I don't expect to accomplish it no matter my efforts." She resumed eating after two moments and was glad to have something else to think about rather than the futility of her cause.

"A lifelong journey with a pretty woman. I can think of worse ways to spend eternity."[/B][/COLOR] He says bluntly, as he crosses his legs underneath the table, then rests his elbows upon the table and rests his head upon his hands. His eyes followed her features, but in a less predatory fashion than before, more curious. "You may find keeping me alive a harder task than you think, however." He reaches out with one of his arms, and exposes his wrist. It seemed he was inviting her to investigate his health. "I would appreciate keeping this secret until after we leave. Many King's Rangers here come from Liveria... It would be... Unhealthy, for certain truths to be made manifest here. Outside of this base, however? I will care not for such secrets."

Eternity? Even she didn't have eternity. She didn't know much about dark elves, but even they could not live forever if the madness didn't touch them... She was still as he approached her, but upon his laying his arms out she felt a shock of realization. She knew his skin was cold from the day before, though she had paid it no mind, and now he was inviting something that would tell her more in a feeling than he could with words. Instead of touching his wrists she leaned across the table and laid a hand on his cheek, letting her little finger slide down to the top of his neck.

"If you think that this will make my caring for you any more difficult than any other member of the party, you are grossly underestimating my millennia of experience." Her voice was hardly above a whisper. She let her hand linger on his face for a second longer then withdrew herself and resumed eating breakfast.

Hanus pauses in surprise at her gentle nature, and then clears his throat and shuffles in his seat. "Nonetheless, you know why I breath not a word of it here, or in Liveria." He scratches at his cheek for a moment, and then looks up to Kasienka, trying to look her eye to eye. "Still, you have answered my questions, Krasivyy (Beautiful). I look forward to journeying with you and learning more about you. I hope the feeling is mutual." He stands from his seat and bows his head respectfully, waiting for a reply before likely departing.

Kasienka matched her gaze with Hanus's when she felt him request it. She smiled kindly at the compliment then nodded back to him as he left. She took the rest of her breakfast in peace then began her trek to the operations room. The party was certainly more interesting now.

A Choice

Every option mentioned in the operations room had Kasienka’s stomach churning. Her toes curled against the cold stone as each option was laid out, and then her stomach seemed to meet them on the floor when Marcus advocated for the Dark Forest, just as color had faded from her face when Mikan vied for the Abyss. She made no efforts to hide her reactions. She wanted the entire room to know her unspoken feelings of those two places. Despite her horror, she did reach out to grasp Mikan’s upper arm and tug her a touch closer to herself, a reprimand for doing something so disrespectful, childish, and unnecessary

When it was clear that the discussion had died down for a second, she maneuvered through the group around the maps, standing between Mikan and Hanus and trying to catch Kouri’s eyes. ”Princess Kouri I assume you remember the stories of my people. If you don’t, I will remind you, and perhaps teach some of our new companions something about this world.” Now her gaze roamed across the room, trying to catch each person’s gaze at least once.

“The gods saw fit to grace my people with long lives, but at a price. They kept our minds from being able to remember the gift of our long lives and limited the number of us who could ever enjoy a life at all. Our children die of things which only cause the children of your kind to sneeze for a day. Often they are gone before we can dare to determine what disease took them. What makes this infinitely worse is that once one child has fallen, it is more likely than not that we shall watch the rest of their generation follow them to the grave.” Her voice caught, but she grit her teeth and stood taller. “It is near impossible to determine where the infectious agent has come from. It is so hard to know who or what may carry something that will leave women wailing. This is why outsiders are never allowed within our borders, and once one of us leaves, we are never welcomed back. Therefore I cannot condone the decision to ever enter the Dark Forest unless we have the utmost need. Because there are other options I must insist that we not take this path. Additionally we mustn’t risk life and limb needlessly in The Abyss. The Trade Road risks too much for too little gain. I confess that I would be a liability on that route, for I can’t recognize many of those who might remember me. This only leaves climbing the mountain.”

Now Kasienka stood back and released her grip on Mikan and moved away from the table. She had said her piece and didn’t wish to dwell on it any longer. If there were questions, she would answer them, but she had no desire to argue over something she would not sway on. There were other, more palatable solutions to this problem.

Kasienka did Kouri’s hair. Kouri really doesn’t like nudity.
Kasienka is super old. Fischer is missing an arm and an eye. Kasienka and Fischer don’t really care about nudity. Kasienka is a good listener. Fischer’s arm is really expensive and comes from irritable people. Kasienka is a healer.
Hanus and Kasienka are REALLY obvious when they flirt. Goo goo eyes were made. Hanus is a vampire and pretty old himself. Kasienka is still a healer.
Kasienka DOES NOT want to go to the Dark Forest. She wants to climb the mountain.

Kalemn Weller

In the operations room, Kalemn stood back as others gave their pieces. Now that everything had been laid out, Kalemn was glad to see that traversing the mountains would have been her preferred choice even if Fischer hadn't bribed her. In fact, the only thing putting her off the idea of the mountains was the unease surrounding the bribe itself. She didn't know what it was the man was hoping to grab from the outpost, if that had even been the truth, and she didn't know why he felt he'd be condemned for speaking in support himself. As far as Kalemn was concerned, the best possible explanation would be that there was something unseemly yet useful waiting at the outpost, explaining both the desire to go there and the hesitation towards supporting it himself.

Worst case scenario was full betrayal. But if that was the intent, then it wouldn't much matter what route they took. Stepping forward, stopping just shy of the crowd immediately surrounding the table, Kalemn spoke up. "I'm for the mountains. There's one of your outposts if we need it, and the fact it's out there makes me think you've got people who know the area. Even if you didn't, I do; I've been that way a few times myself."

Tahlia Wether
Operations Room

With Faolan waiting at the edge of the room, unable to read and uncaring of such discussions of strategy, Tahlia on the other hand stood close by the tables, hoping to make herself heard to the Princess, for better or worse. She did not yet trust her judgement, though from the sound of her countryman who offered his advice, she need not worry overmuch. Others would provide the experience she lacked.

She had made up her mind for the Dark Forest, having heard the Rheinfelder's recommendations. But as the elf spoke emphatically against it, she felt her heart reach out to her—and then she caught sight of James. His words crossed her mind again—it would require certain favours. Powerful mages would do.

There was little choice left to her.

Tahlia raised her voice to address the congregation. "I may be no strategist, but for what it's worth, I agree with Kalemn." For the sake of clarity, she nodded her head at the woman in question, before turning to Gregory. "We need all the help we can get. But that brings me to another matter, Commander. You mentioned that we might have to worry about your men revealing our plans, should they be captured. Of no fault of their own, of course!" she added quickly, lest he take offense. "But what exactly are your rangers stationed here supposed to be doing while we're on our way to Rheinfeld?"[/hr]

Dean
The Meeting​

Dean stood silently listening to the advice given by the various figures at the table, finding himself nodding or shaking his head where he agreed, or disagreed respectively. While some valid points were made, Dean felt some were excluding valuable facts. Stepping forward he cleared his throat. “I can speak as someone who knows Bandits and Brigands…” he began with a sharp glance at Marcus “And I’ll wager that with the gear some people are carrying, and the number we're traveling with? We would be hunted relentlessly by both the Orcs and the Bandits. They'd chop at us and cut us down one by one, regardless of our numbers, they doubtlessly have more. There's a reason that Rheinfeld hasn't marched over the pass to lay claim to these lands. As well as any of us know those lands, they know it better. Trying to hide among the foothills could only work for so long, not to mention we'd be wide open if spies of the Gods flew overhead. ”

“The Abyss is called that because those who enter oft times are never seen again, the caverns shift and the perils otherwise are just as dangerous. It'd be an awful risk to traverse it, and we’d come out worse for the wear.” His face scanned the map as a pit formed in his stomach, he wished to just accept the Trader’s Pass and be done with it, regardless of how much risk it held. “Too many witnesses walk the Trader’s Pass, not to mention the Witch Hunters and Templars, the less exposure to them you see Princess, the better. Likewise too many stories to keep straight, when 20 people try to tell a convincing lie it begins to unravel, and it unravels quickly.” he shook his head as he waved over the Pass on the map, before finally planting it on the Dark Forest.

“This is where I throw any say I have on the topic. The Rangers among us are trained to make good use of terrain like the forest, as are various others here I'm sure." his gaze wandered to Amaia who he felt would reciprocate, and Tahlia and Kasienka as well-despite their preferences. "Far fewer witnesses to recognize you as a Legend and any we do see will likely be beasts less concerned with who you are than how you taste, and that's a much simpler situation to resolve than a troop of Templar. Good cover from above keeps us from being spotted by this Angel we’ve been told about, and while the Elves may be a bit on the nasty side they can at least be reasoned with. We can skirt their borders, and try to avoid contact altogether.” he backed away from the table and shrugged. “Ultimately what it comes down to is time. I can appreciate what you must be feeling, the responsibility of it all, and the inherent burden it comes with, but Kouri that's just more reason to take the time to do it properly. This way is longer, but safer. The Elves keep to themselves, if we are seen by them word of you is less likely to travel very far.”

James: Empathy, or Manipulation?

As Faolan and Tahlia travel toward the Dining Hall, they'd find a bird following them every step of the way. A crow follows them, stopping only when they stopped. Whether by choosing to investigate it, or getting close to the Dining Hall, they'd turn a corner in a corridor to find James standing right in front of them. He looks down on Faolan, and then tilts his head with curiosity. "Well, well, well... Someone did something naughty with you." He turns his attention toward Tahlia. "Curious... What have you done?"

Faolan positioned himself diagonally between James and Tahlia, shielding her with his body. From the raised hairs along his back, it was clear something about either James or his bird made Faolan uncomfortable, though the dire wolf gave no signs of outright hostility.

Tahlia's smile, present since before she'd turned the corner, flickered, then dropped. "To the point, aren't you?" She looked down at Faolan herself, before returning her gaze to the illusionist, eyes grim. When she continued, she spoke quickly, as if to prevent herself from silencing herself. "I forced his soul out of a dying body and into this one. And I don't need you chastising me on whether that was naughty, or not." She grimaced. "Who even are you? I don't recognize you from the lake."

James taps the wall, and his cane appears. He taps the bottom of his cane on the ground, and grins as he bows his head--though only slightly, for he maintained a watch for an attack from Faolan. "James! James Moriarty is my name. My carnival name was James the Illusionist, but you may simply call me James." He chuckles as he takes a step back from Faolan, to giving them the breathing room they likely sought. Beatrice flies over them both to land on James' shoulder. "You won't get any judgement from me, little lady... I just recognized that kind of magic as something which interests me. You see, Beatrice here," he motions to his bird, who tilts her head as she looks at Faolan. "... Is a creation of mine. I merely meant that the action was naughty to the eyes of others, not I."

He licks his lips, and sighs. "Ah, but I assume you wish to know why I am bothering you?"

Tahlia nudged Faolan forcefully, and he reluctantly sat on his rear, taking on a more docile posture. She, for her part, steps forward to present him her hand. "Pleasure to meet you, James. Tahlia," she started, jabbing a thumb at herself, before pointing to her companion. "Faolan. What do you need?"

"Oh, to ask but one question." He looks Faolan over, kneeling down and sending a small wisp of purple energy past his ears. He would hear a giggle, like that of a small child, as it passed by his ears. "A wolf is not a good vessel for a human soul. How do you intend to fix him?"

Tahlia blanched. "Fix him? It was hard enough the first time, and to even think of converting another body…" She pulled her dress tighter around herself at the thought. "That would be worse than murder."

James rolls his eyes and crosses his arms across his chest as he leans his shoulder against the wall. "So two dimensional. Whoever said anything about murder?" He snaps his fingers, and Beatrice flies away, likely sent on another task by the Illusionist in that instant. "I simply wished to ask because you realize what you are condemning Faolan to, yes? You realize that the mind of a wolf is not complex enough for that of a man? He will fade, and suffer as he does." Within the minute that she was sent out, Beatrice returned, and dropped an apple into one of James' hands before landing back down onto his shoulder. He runs a finger across her feathers, which causes the bird to let out an appreciative coo. "Anyway, it's clear to me you don't have a plan. Or, you're so callous, that you don't care that he will suffer immensely... You don't strike me as the callous type, though." He suddenly looks away from his bird and toward Tahlia. "So, did you simply not know the consequences?"

Tahlia glanced back at Faolan, and he returned her gaze not with worry or fear, but resolute determination. He had long ago accepted that his very existence was unnatural, and the challenges that came with it. This did not, however, reassure Tahlia. When she turned back to James, guilt was etched deep into her expression. "He's gone wild before, but with my ability… I've always been able to bring him back. What else could I do?"

"Well..." A large smile creeps across James' face, as he looks over Faolan with intrigue. Beatrice hops off his shoulder and walked over to Faolan, standing mere inches away from the wolf's imposing form. "There's a few things. Obviously, stealing a body, but, well, magic has a terrible long term effect on the new host, and I'm assuming you want less... Immoral, options." He stands off the wall and taps the bottom of his cane on the ground once more, though this time, a ball appears on the ground and starts rolling around, getting Beatrice's attention as it pursues it and tries to peck at it. "He could be constructed an artificial form, a golem, a suit of metal... But it would render him without personal feeling. He would exist, but ajar of all of life's physical pleasures. That drives most men to madness, after a while." Beatrice finally manages to catch the ball and pecks it, only for it to vanish into dust. The crow sneezes and looks up at James, disappointed. "You could, of course, modify the form he already has. You could give him a bigger brain, and without having to kill any people... But, that's risky..."

James seems to go over the options in his own mind. "If I had more resources and certain texts, I could do either of those things. The resources would be easy to get, but, the scripts... That would require certain favours. With certain people. Mage's Guild, or powerful wandering mages would do. Perhaps even a Free Holder merchant of certain artifacts, but they usually only deal in the flesh, and, well, I doubt you're the type..." He chuckles, and tosses his staff aside. It vanishes back into the ether from whence it came. "I can help, if you choose to do something more concrete than simply letting him suffer until he goes feral. That's ultimately what I chose to speak to you for, is to offer my help."

"And I'm just supposed to trust you?" She pondered his offer, clearly troubled. "Neither of us want anyone dead, and—" The two make eye contact, and Faolan nods to an unspoken agreement. "And what good is life, without love? We're willing to take the risks. If you can cure his mind, I'd do anything. But what do you want in return?"

"Nothing, really. This advances my own knowledge." James raises an eyebrow as he glances between them. "What, do you think I'm some psychotic villain? That I'd murder children in the night or something equally ridiculous?" He chuckles at the notion. It, of course, would never be true in his mind. "I have my own reasons. I see no reason to help others if it would expand my own knowledge. We both have something to gain. I will let you know when opportunities arise. Just remember for yourself: Powerful mages, the Mage's Guild, and certain Free Holder merchants."

"It's not that I think ill of you. I just hardly know you. No, I don't know you." She hesitated. "I'm not used to such generosity from a complete stranger."

"I understand the pain you are going through more than you know." For a moment, his lips seem to quiver, but stop when Beatrice nuzzles into his cheek. "Besides, it expands my own knowledge. It's not entirely altruistic. Now, I believe I've held you up long enough, go on."

Zhong LiWei and Kouri - The Way Through A Heart Is Through The Stomach
(A collab between @Soulless and @Brovo)
LiWei arrives at the Dining Halls relatively early, in the solid belief that sitting and eating with a group was the best way to bond. Or at least, that's what his mother had always insisted at the dinner table. He's wearing relatively light clothing today, his cloak and hat still drying from a well-needed wash. He looks around, firstly for the food, secondly for someone he hasn't had the luxury of sparking up a conversation with yet.

Kouri sat alone, eating a few fruits and vegetables, and what looked to be freshly cooked meat based on scent and sight of steam rising from her plate.

LiWei stepped towards her, carefully. "Her royal highness, Princess Kouri. It is an honor to be in your graces." He hesitated for a moment, then went on one knee with his right fist covered by his left, head down. "Would you prefer to be left alone for a little while longer?"

Kouri ceases eating for a few moments, using a napkin to wipe her lips, before looking at LiWei with a gentleness in her eyes. "No, please, join me. I would be delighted to have the company."

He rises from his kneeling position, dusting himself off a bit, bandages still on his arms and legs- he might as well milk the look as long as he can. Increasing amounts of debt to a single person never bode well. He smiles to her but his gaze doesn't meet hers. "Of course..." He fetches himself a plate of food and sits opposite of her. "How have you slept?"

Kouri pauses for a moment at the question, then looks down at her food and starts cutting up more bite sized pieces. "Acceptably... The beds are not as comfortable as I am used to." She looks up to meet LiWei's eyes with her own blue irises, filled with curiosity. "And you? Where do you come from?"

"I do apologize... I am sure you deserve better beds." He keeps his polite smile, but again averts his gaze from hers. "I am from a land far to the east. It is called... a great many things." He laughs a bit. "Depending on who you ask, and where you are asking. I would like to call it 中华民族 (Zhonghua minzu), all the many peoples that live in the big land, I think, could all agree to that term. I come from a place with different magic, and different... much different in language. Our writing is the same as being an artist. " He speaks with a nostalgic ease.

"Sounds a lot like the Kingdom of Dreams... How strange." She takes another bite to eat, slowly, as her mind was preoccupied on other things. After a few moments, a small smile graces her lips. "At least we have one thing in common. We are foreigners in strange lands, in strange times... Tell me, how much did your lands know if my kingdom?"

"We have a great many records going many thousands of years. We likely know of your kingdom for trade- the main exporting is spices and... uhm... soft clothing material. Sss... snack? Anyways, yes, I think we are both in our ways foreign, in strange circumstance... It can feel very lonely." He smiles an apologetic smile. "What is the Kingdom of Dreams?" He takes his time eating, deliberate. He doesn't hold the fork right. He doesn't hold the knife right. He doesn't hold himself properly. But thank god he at least keeps his mouth closed while chewing.

Kouri giggles quietly at the sight of LiWei struggling with table manners, and stands up. A nearby King's Ranger tenses up, only to relax once more as Kouri raises a dismissive hand toward her. She then steps around the table, over to LiWei. She looks down at him with a genuine look of kindness in her blue eyes. "Would you like to learn proper table manners?"

LiWei smiles, sheepish, as Kouri approaches. "It would be appreciated. I apologize; where I am from, we do not use these... forks. Or knifes. " He doesn't pronounce forks quite right, the 'or' sound sticking in his mouth like caramel. He doesn't put the v in plural knife. "We use a deeper spoon, and pick up food with sticks."

Kouri sits down beside LiWei, and drags her plate across the table. She then picks up her fork off the plate, and turns her wrist so her palm faced upward toward the ceiling. "See?" She motions to the points upon the fork her fingers were upon. "Just do this, and then..." She slowly goes through the motion of picking a piece of food off of her plate, raising it up to her mouth, and eating it. Her eyes then move toward his, the close proximity not seeming to bother her at this moment as a friendly smile reaches her lips. "That's all it takes."

LiWei smiles and watches her gaze, but says nothing. This woman is... remarkably comfortable around strange men. As a princess, no less. It makes him concerned that someone would take advantage of her. She seemed so strong and brave earlier, so burdened with the thousand years of time she's lost. But here and now, she seems as innocent as any new spring lamb, protected and sheltered from the gods that took everything save for her life. He copies her, careful to direct his fingers the same as she moved. "Ah, this requires some delicate touch I do not have." He laughs despite himself. "What do you do with the knife?"

Kouri demonstrates how to use a knife properly. "This is how you use a knife." She smiles politely. "I'm not sure how you haven't encountered table manners in all of your travels."

"I lived with the poor, who are not educated in table manners as elegant as you." LiWei explains. "Also, where I am from we did not have such instruments. I do apologize. We had a different etiquette entirely. I think you would be quite surprised. I apologize for of topic, but I overheard the good nobleman wishing you well last night. What do you think of him?"

Kouri's eyes immediately shoot toward LiWei's eyes, as she seems to evaluate the question he asked about the nobleman. "Samuel is..." She pauses for a moment, as she mulled over choice words. Her tone became plain and neutral, political. Something LiWei would recognize, no matter how far from his home he was. "... A nobleman, who sees an opportunity. I believe he has righteous intent, but I would beg your pardon if you would understand that such intense belief is a little... Off-putting, given the circumstances of my life. Yet, I do not dismiss him entirely. I have yet to know him, or his values... Maybe he is far more than I give him credit for. I won't know until later."

LiWei once more avoids her gaze as simply as pretending to look at her hands or his fork instead. He listens closely at the change in tone and wonders how this lamb of a girl also held such deftness. He never liked how easily the nobility and royalty picked up their mannerisms. Children should have time to be brash and dumb in their words. He smiles a polite, diplomatic smile. "Your royal highness princess Kouri, you enter a political tone with the ease of a seabird swimming. But I understand, he is very... forward, yes? Eager, like many young men. He may not have thought of your pain. Men can be very hard to see past their big heads." He grins raps the side of his temple. "I should know."

"Perhaps." She says with a soft tone, as she lifts her plate and utensils back up, and returns to her own side of the table. "I'm certain you would know." She glances at him, and then back down to her food. "I'm... Not sure if this is an appropriate question, but I keep... Feeling something. A little something. Do you know magic?"

LiWei gives a particularly wry smile. "Please be not worrying about appropriateness with me. You have too much to worry about, than to concern with keeping airs to someone like me. I appreciate the curiosity and willingly asking. But, I suppose I should not keep too many secrets from you. If you would like to know, I would have to show you in private- I was meaning to ask you anyways, for purposes of self-improvement on both sides." He flicks his gaze to the ranger(s) hovering around. These people, no, guardsmen, reminded him too much of the always-watchful gaze of his home and when he was... less-able. It made his skin crawl a bit.

"I see." Kouri says as she looks around the chamber. She clears her throat and speaks with a commanding tone of voice. "Leave us. Return in a few minutes." The King's Rangers comply wordlessly, and her personal guard step just outside of the dining hall, ready to act in a moment if necessary to save the princess. She looks back at LiWei, and he could feel both curiosity and hints of her own magic flaring up in equal measures. "Show me."

LiWei smiles. "How would you use your ice magic offensively? Could you throw some ice at me, with warning??"

"That might cause the guards to come rushing in." Kouri warns, as she wreathes her hands in blue energy, small bits of ice forming around her hands.

LiWei frowns. "What do you think the chances are they may misinterpret this as I am aggressing you and you are self defending?" He smiles after. "If the chances are high, perhaps we can have another way, and we can practice when we're out in the field and there are less eyes. I can just show you in a lesser scary way."

"I would imagine they wouldn't ask questions when they entered the room." Kouri states with concern, as she looks at LiWei. "Show me this 'less scary way' then, please."

LiWei smiles and debates what to do. He could show her the scars but- no, no. She's a princess through and through. His scars were ugly and not knowledge she needed to know about. She probably couldn't handle being exposed to such terrible implications. He closes his eyes instead, tenses, then opens a palm to her. The air shimmers around him, just slightly, as if the mirage of water on hot ground. "Take my hand, please." If she does reach, she would find herself unable to actually touch him- her hand would meet something in the air that felt like glass, warmed slightly above room temperature.

Kouri feels the magic and yet tries, cautiously, to touch his hand. She finds herself surprised as she is unable to do so, and recoils her hand. "Some sort of barrier... I see." Curiosity was alight in her eyes as she tried tilting her head, trying to see if it was at all visible. "That's quite useful."

LiWei relaxes, and the barrier fades like the silent bursting of a bubble. "It is. I do not enjoy fighting. It is easier to walk away if you cannot be touched. It also makes for a useful umbrella in the rain. I will ask that this be a secret; I showed you because I respecting you, but I do not like to offer very much about me unless I am made to. It is an old habit from a more luxury life; I am sure you understand." He looks somewhat apologetic here and sits back down to try his hand at not being a barbarian at the dinner table. He's clumsy but, thanks to Kouri's lesson, he is at least performing vague fascimiles of courteous movement.

Kouri nods, simply, and looks down to her own food. "I am a keeper of many secrets. Yours shall be no different."

"I must apologize for burdening you with my own. Perhaps someday we can lighten each other's burdens." He smiles, tender."And perhaps I can talk to that nobleman for you."

"Perhaps." Kouri replies simply. She glances down at her plate, though she seemed to appreciate the notion. "Though I would ask that you leave the affairs of speaking to said nobleman to me."

"Of course." He watches her and starts to finish up his meal. "If you need anything of me, I will be around. Perhaps I can teach you some of my language, if you like. It will help take the mind away from your great burden, maybe."

"Perhaps, but another time." Kouri nods as she sits quietly. "Thank you for the conversation. I appreciate it... And your trust, to let me see your strange magic that you hide from others."

Men At Arms
In the halls.
Collab between Ole Fischer (@Snakey) and Baldrik Larsson (@West)

Fischer strode the stone halls with a mind fresh with the rush of conversation and a body fresh with the scent of rosewater. He had shed the obnoxious amount of jewellery -it having served it's purpose- and now walked in only his most basic finery. He made his way to the dining hall, not so much to eat but to observe just how much of his coin was being spent on serving Kouri and her seemingly endless brigade of followers. In fact, just in his short walk from his quarters to the dining hall the sergeant had managed to cross one. At first he didn't pay much heed to the man, he had the bedraggled look that most of the newcomers sported and really, Fischer was sure he'd be seeing plenty of him soon enough. A strange glint caught his eye however, the kind only produced when light hits a metal cylinder. Without breaking stride he chanced a longer look at the newcomer and surely enough he had a firearm. Perhaps Kouri was better at picking her allies than originally thought.

Stopping beside the man he gave a quick nod of greeting, "I couldn't help but see that you had a gun, would it rude of me to ask where you acquired it?"

Baldrik Larsson looked over the person that had talked to him, and was rather shocked after taking a good look at the man. He could clearly tell that the man had seen rough warfare by the strange mechanical arm that was strapped where his right arm would've been, and him lacking an eyeball more or less cemented Baldrik's belief: This man was without a doubt a long-time fighter... and thinking back on what Sisera had told him, he must've been a very loyal man to a cause. Baldrik perked up a bit after examining the man's overall shape, before replying "It was a gift from a Mechanist that one of my ancestors helped, given that the Mechanist had very little else to offer, he gave her the Musket, and somewhere around two-hundred bullets and enough gunpowder to support that. And it's just been in the family ever since. Say, you wouldn't be bothered if I ask, to whom did your loyalty rest upon, when you received those wounds?" Baldrik pointed towards the man's lack of a proper right arm, and the lack of an eye.

Only two-hundred shots?

Fischer held his breath to stifle a laugh, only releasing to answer the younger man's question. "When I received these wounds I was only loyal to my purse and whoever was willing to fatten it. If you want the particulars this..." He pointed to his missing eye, "This was lost for the coin of one Baron Holte, the fat bastard believed a shred of some god-forbidden forest belonged to him, the actual owner disagreed. Unfortunately for me that meant trying to stalk a band of Liverian witch hunters through dark woods. It did not end well. Nice coins though, Holte minted his own complete with his personal coat-of-arms and all. As for my arm, same deal, larger stakes. Some backwoods Free Hold warlord thought he owned a stretch of river, another thought he did. One thing led to another and before I knew it I had several dozen armoured horsemen bearing down on me. I got paid my weight in salt for that one, I remember the cheap paymaster trying to deduct the weight of my dismemberment."

"Needless to say I wasn't some gallant knight off to save a damsel, I was just some greedy cur who gambled in blood and eventually lost." He paused for a moment clear his throat before continuing, "And what sort of man are you to value loyalty so much that it's the first topic you bring up when conversing with a stranger?"

"Ah. I see. So you've seen your fair share of battles." Baldrik hadn't in all honesty expected such an answer from the man. A man whose loyalty depended on the coin that was tossed at his sides, by the highest bidder. Mm, it does make sense however. Baldrik Larsson was definently pretty green about what was considered customes of these lands, and it seems that in these lands his sense of right and wrong was turned completely upside down. Once the man's voice pierced his ears once more, and once the voice had been decrypted into a language that Baldrik's brain could work with, Baldrik replied to his question. "Well, a friend of mine just mentioned that those who are the most loyal to a cause tend to suffer the most from it. Given your scars, I believed you had been very loyal to a cause, and I'd assume I was half right about it, since you were loyal to yourself. As for myself, my ancestors served princess Kouri as apart of her Royal Guard. They moved across the Sea after she froze herself in a lake to, well, prepare and once she'd come back, have an army for her on stand-by. I'm, well, the last of those descendants. And to be honest, you value weaponry so much that it was your first topic when you approached me."

Baldrik realised that the man had some first-hand experience in combat, perhaps he could risk asking the man on attaining some actual experience when it came to fighting, or actual guidelines? Baldrik asked the man rather calmly "Say, given that you've seen your fair share of fights... Could you perhaps teach me how to handle these things better in actual combat? I'm skilled with handling my Musket and my Sword, but I lack actual experience when it comes to actual fight until one drops down dead."

"An organization of descendants stretching one-thousand years back waiting to serve Kouri again in case of her return. A strangely familiar tale isn't it? I wonder how many other sects of the royal family broke off in hiding to wait for the princess' return? Perhaps deep in some forbidden wood the descendants of the royal cooks lay in wait, perfecting their cake recipe in hope that Kouri may one day enjoy it." He chuckled, "I jest of course, it's not like I'm in a position to critique your ancestors. Pots and kettles."

His tone took a sudden turn from joking to serious, "And, to be honest, it just so happens that your weapon carries a lot of value. Not only intrinsically, but sentimentally. Not many have seen a firearm, let alone own and know the operation of one. My interest in your weapon is not because I have some deep interest in arms, it's simply because it's a unique piece of hardware and it's because of this hardware I will accept your request for assistance. It'd be a great shame to see such a weapon wasted on the unprepared.

Although the figure infront of him made a comment regarding his ancestors decision, and Baldrik guessed a bit mocking about what other servants of Kouri would've still survived for all these years was also ment for his own... But he remembered what Dean had said to him, and realised especially with this man's tone that he was none the less honest. He was just joking around. Baldrik Larsson chuckled a bit as well as he got the joke of how bakers would've waited for Kouri to taste the best cake-recipe for a Welcome-Home party. Made him a bit hopeful for the future.

Once the man's tone shifted, Baldrik loosened up his smile and listened closely to the man. What he said definently eased Baldrik's mind a bit, knowing that this veteran had good experience, liked the gun that Baldrik was carrying, and lastly was willingly going to help Baldrik practice and understand the weapon more precisely- and what other forms of information that experience would've dugged out for him. "That's great to hear! I won't falter, that much I will promise. How'll we train, once we've gone through the plannings for the Journey on. Or do you have any recommendations or me as it is right now?" As Baldrik finished his statement, he reached towards his belt and pulled out a steel-blade that seemed to have some form of ring at one side of the blade, enough to be fitted on a musket. "Also, I have this Bayonet, for cases when they get close. Anything you could tell me straight away to help?"

Fischer looked down at the short blade, "Just stick 'em with the pointy end. It's not too complicated, the real challenge is not letting the enemy get close enough for you to use it in the first place and mostly about taking advantage of the environment. No, what I think you should really practice with is that musket of yours, because from I gather you've probably fired it less than a hundred times. Possible less than fifty." He paused, as if thinking of something, "Look for me after the meeting, I'll set you up with a sufficient supply of powder and shot. Enough that you shouldn't have to worry about running out on our little expedition."

Baldrik tilted his head slightly to the right as Fischer began to give his explanation. You don't use the stabby part of the Musket? Fischer could probably easily tell that Baldrik wasn't used to firing off the musket as often as he should've, and it was probably explainable with the fact that Baldrik never really had that many bullets given to him once he got the gun- since the ancestors prior to him had used up a few between each other. Baldrik found it a bit odd to only use the shooting part of the Musket... but what Fischer said made plenty of sense, plus for close-up fighting Baldrik did have his own sword. Baldrik snuggled down his short-blade down to his belt once more and nodded "Alright, that does make a lot of sense. Thank you once more, sir. I must beg your pardon, but I failed to catch your name. Mine's Baldrik Larsson." After finishing his sentence, Baldrik instinctively took out his right arm outwards with his right hand fully open for a handshake, his scalie arm seemingly fully-red and oily in texture. "Skit (Shit)." He quickly lowered his arm down and extended his left hand instead. "Right, sorry. Forgot that it shed."

"I'm Sergeant Ole Fischer. You can just call me Fischer if you want, I haven't really been a sergeant for a while now." He went to shake Larsson's hand with his own metal limb, only to stop short when the boy's arm revealed itself. The sergeant stared for a moment as if he wasn't completely sure what he was seeing, only when Larsson offered his other hand did he stop, "That, uh, looks infected. I'd suggest you visit a healer to see to it. Preferably before the meeting."

"Alright, Sergeant Fischer. It's been really great to be able to talk to you. I hope we'll be great allies, and... Well, it's not really infected. That's just how my arm is." Baldrik said as he brushed some of the unknown liquid off on his clothes, definently being a bit distracted about the fact that Fischer brought up his arm. As he was wiping it off, he looked over towards Fischer and asked "Well. What do you think will happen at the meeting?"

"Well," Fischer did his best not to keep staring, "In that case I hope it doesn't..." He tried to find an appropriate word, "... Leak like that all the time. As for the meeting itself, I doubt it'll be too exciting. A simple decision made with the help of sprinkled opinions. Really if anything it won't be interesting enough considering the decision will almost certainly be the beginning of our doom. For a few of us at least." He went to leave, but stopped for a moment, "For the record, I hope you survive this." And then left, finally making his way the dining room.

Pastries
In the dining hall.
Collab between Ole Fischer (@Snakey) and Rahim (@Limeypanda)

Despite detour after detour Fischer had somehow managed to reach the dining room in at reasonable time, before the motley gang of newcomers had left and even before they had managed to eat all of his food. Impressive. He marched past the table and scanned the spread; Honey ham, fresh bread, pickled herring, assorted vegetation, more honey ham, various water fowl, some unrecognisable sauce and... Fischer's eye lit up in excitement, they even brought out those wonderful little chocolate pastries. He quickly sped to the delicacies, keeping a respectable gait as he did so. With an almost imperceivable movement he snatched the entire plate of them, breaking all illusions of manners as he greedily stuffed them into his face.

He somehow managed to look up for long enough to avoid walking into a great big man. Or at least, he was probably a man. If Fischer didn't know any better he could have reasonably assumed the massive figure that stood before him was some sort of meat golem or perhaps a muscle sprite. A perfect candidate. Swallowing his mouthful of pastry hard he addressed the brute, "Good morning, enjoying the banquet?"

As Fischer flitted about, picking at his choice of food; Rahim was moving towards the exit, a half-empty plate of food filled with the peel of fruit and the rinds of meat in one hand, and his man-cleaver of an axe in the other. It seems that Fischer had just about caught him on the back-end of his meal. "I have just finished enjoying it, yes...Do I know you?" Rahim paused, trying to picture whether he actually knew this large looking man from the lake. As far as he could tell, he did not.

"No, but that's just what I'm attempting to correct," Fischer was almost taken aback with just how sleazy he managed to sound, but continued none-the-less, "I'm Sergeant Ole Fischer, financier. I couldn't help but see that you possess certain... Qualities. Would it be appropriate of me to ask your name?"

Rahim paused, looking at the man with a moment of suspicion. Why was this man being so friendly all of a sudden? Rahim recalled a man from his old mercenary trope. He called himself Ashaad, and he had - although Rahim did not know it at the time - turned out to be a well known con-man among the group. "I am Rahim. I do not have any fancy titles. What is it you seek, Ole Fischer?"

The man's stare confirmed to Fischer that he wasn't buying his 'friendly' demeanour. A sign of basic intelligence if nothing else, he made sure to shift his tactic a bit. "Straight to the point, eh? I like that. In that case, I was just wondering what you were looking to get out of this whole saving the world business? Aside from, you know, getting to save the world."

Rahim paused to look the man over, taking him in properly for the first time. The elderly looking man was tall enough, and Rahim wasn't really sure what place this individual had here. What use was a person like this? He must be hiding some sort of talent, to have lasted into the grey years. Saying that, he'd met dozens of people who'd gotten to grow grey in the Over-land. His kin did not oft have that luck. "I'm here because it interests me to be here." He said, before looking at the plate of pastries in the Older man's hands. He had initially thought them decorations, more than actual food-stuff, and yet here Ole was, eating them. "What on earth are those things? All those browns and beiges... How do you know they are safe to eat?" Rahim would have reached for one of the strange pastries, if not for both his hands being full. In his world, brown was not the colour of food you ate. Brown food was almost certainly bad food; having rotted past the point of good health.

This man was proving harder to pierce than Fischer could of reasonably predicted. 'Because it interests me to be here' was a such a calculated answer, one that a politician would say without a thought. At the same time though, it was possible that the brutish man was completely serious with his answer and this is what the sergeant actually feared. A man so dumb or so careless as to go on a suicide mission just... Because. He was about to give the Rahim the benefit of the doubt when he asked about his pastries, referring to them as a child might. "These are chocolate pastries, essentially just flaky bread with a sweet centre. I actually don't know if they're safe," He answered truthfully, "Gorgok is a plenty good enough cook, but I wouldn't put it past him to have accidentally left some debris in these," He punctuated the point by shoving more pastries into his mouth, "There could be rocks, bits of metal, nail clippings. I'm personally fine with not knowing the particulars."

He held them out to the giant, "Would you like some?"

Rahim listened to the man's conversation about the pastries with a mix of emotions. First, he was predominantly just intrigued, but as he explained more and more about the potential threat of the cakes; the Amazon's face became more and more concerned. If the cook was so poorly trained that he might leave imperfections in the meat... The entire group could be at risk! He had to warn someone: Marcus, Kouri, The Dark-elf, anyone who was in charge should be alerted imme-

"You are mocking me, I presume." Rahim looked at the man with squinted eyes that had him consider how much trouble he'd get in if he...equalized the man, in regards to prosthetic limbs.

Rahim reached over and picked up one of the pastries. First bringing it to his nose and sniffing it, an act which had him pause, and then sniff again. A small smile crossed his face as he sniffed at the chocolate. "Ah, Schokolade. I've had some of this before." With that, Rahim gains a bit of boldness and bites gently into the pastry, smiling as he was rewarded with something sweet and delicious; yet completely unlike fruit. He then proceeds to devour the rest of the small pastry in one bite, before looking over at Fischer. "So if there isn't anything else; I'm going to leave."

"Just a little," Fischer admitted, "Forgive me for having a sense of humour." Not only was man slow of mind, but of wit as well. Or at least went out of his way to present himself as such. Either way, he wasn't the sort of man the sergeant was looking for. At least he had a semblance of good taste in his sweets, not a total write off.

Still, Fischer had got all he needed, "You're free to go Rahim to do... Whatever it is you're going to do. Good day, I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of each other in the near future."

(A Collaboration between @West and @Brovo )
(In the Dining Hall, shortly before the meeting)

Baldrik Larsson was in the Dining Room once Kouri came in for breakfast, his attention fully focused on her as she approached. He couldn't believe that she was still there, alive in the flesh, the Princess of Renalta... Actually, Baldrik felt curiousity bite his tongue as he stopped eating from his bowl that had a mix of vegetables in them. He leaned forward slightly from his chair before saying to Kouri "I... excuese me, princess Kouri. Is it alright if I sate my curiousity, and ask you a few questions?"

Kouri hesitates a moment and then sits down across from Baldrick and smiles a little. "Of course you may ask your questions."

Baldrik smiled in return. Phew... Step one done. Now, just don't mess this up. "Well, I was just wondering... what's peace like? You did come from a time where you didn't have to kill anyone. Was it just as happy and calm as I've heard of it?"

Kouri just stares at him and blinks in confusion. "No. We still had foreign powers that wished to encroach on our borders. Among other violent dangers."

"Oh." Baldrik said as he leaned backwards a bit. It was definently an oddity to hear that, especially from Kouri herself: there never really were any time of peace? Baldrik shooked himself out of the thought and returned to the questions that he had "So... If it wasn't really peaceful, why does so many claim it was?"

"I, uh..." Kouri pauses as she looks down at the table for a moment, taking a deep breath and closing her eyes. "I don't know. I have only been awake in this world since yesterday. If I had to guess... People want to believe in something?"

Baldrik nodded quickly to her response, seemingly not trying to make her upset or irritated with his questions. He instead offered a smile instead of a question, and said "Well, that'll be easy to fix! Now that you're awake we can make this into a better world once the god's have been disposed of!.. I hope I didn't stop you from eating, with my rambling... That wasn't directly my intention, princess Kouri."

"You're not, really, Baldrick. I've already eaten." She replies softly as she clasps her hands on the table and stares at them. "I do hope we can. I will at least try."

"When you're around, there's no need to hope. I know we're going to set things right, just by the fact that you're here." Baldrik added to the conversation, his cheerishful mood stammering right up on high.

"Yes." Kouri looks up at Baldrick and smiles a little. It seemed genuine for once. "I am certain we will too. It just never hurts to have hope atop certainty."

Baldrik gave her a solid nod. "Of course not, Kouri. But just make sure to keep your positive attitude for this, and I am certain our path will only end in Victory, and the gods removed from their throne. Speaking about that... what do we have to do, to get rid of them?"

Kouri's eyes wander around the room, ensuring that nobody else was sitting close to them. None were. She looks to Baldrick, her smile faltering to a far more severe expression. "There is a temple beyond the reach of the Gods, far to the north, in a land of ice and snow. It is said to be indestructible, though I have never been there personally. My family kept its secret for centuries, because only our blood line is said to be capable of awakening the powers within." Her eyes wander toward the table, as she avoids looking directly toward Baldrick. "I know the temple exists, I know my blood will do something there, but I'm not certain what it will do. I also do not know how much of my blood it may need." Her eyes then turn sharply up toward Baldrick. There was determination clearly in her blue eyes, though her soft features betrayed a hint of fear. "It is north of the Free Holds. Beyond that, I'm not comfortable sharing more."

Baldrik leaned forward quite a bit to listen in on what princess Kouri had to say. He couldn't believe she was sharing something this secretive with him! His heart was racing as she shared information regarding the Temple, the Free Holds and what else was beyond it: Or so atleast his mind made it out to be like. After realising she had finished, Baldrik's expression shaped up a bit to be more serious. "Ah, alright. That makes sense, after all, the only ones to live up North there would be... possibly my cousins. Although I highly doubt they'd stay in that freezing castle."

The attempt at humour made Kouri smile a little, though she simply, silently, returned to looking at her hands. She seemed a little nervous.

Baldrik looked over her a bit, his eyes focusing a bit on her facial features. A slight hint of worry enters his voice as he speaks "... Is everything alright, princess Kouri?"

Kouri seems to hesitate for a moment, her eyes glancing left and right as she seems to think on what to say. "... No. It won't be for years, I think. Not until this fight is over."

The voice that he had heard, the tone of it and lastly the message that it had carried shook Baldrik's very soul to it's ground foundation. He looked over Kouri and quickly all around the table. How could the Messiah be feeling that ill? Did she eat something bad? Was she drugged? Baldrik could only look quickly around the room for answers: only to find none... Well, he could try to brighten up the Chosen one's mood. Nervously Baldrik said "Heh, I didn't realise you keeping me around was that bad."

"It's not you, Baldrick." Kouri replies quietly, as she looks up at him, reassuringly. She appeared to misinterpret him. "It's just... Too much loss... Is there anything else you wanted to ask me, Baldrick?"

Baldrik quietly shook his head as he realised his attempts were failing: Miserably. God damn it you lousy idiot. Nice going in hurting the Messiah's feelings. Baldrik could feel his ancestors glaring down at him, so he simply shook his head quickly once he realised an answer hadn't been given yet. "No, nothing else, Princess Kouri."

"Okay." Kouri looks up at Baldrick, her lips forming into an earnest smile as she stands up from the table and walks around to his side. She grasps his shoulder, gently, and speaks softly. "I appreciate your curiosity, and your loyalty. Right now, it's one of the few things I can depend on." Had she noticed him beating himself up? Perhaps. "So would you like to walk with me to the operations room?"

As she approached Baldrik, his heart had temporarily stopped- had he offended her that greatly? All he could do was wait for her to speak- and after feeling her hand upon his shoulder and her soft voice speak calmly into his mind: Baldrik blushed deeply, trying to cover it with his hood. He stammered out "Y-yes, princess Kouri." And quickly lifted himself up from his seat. He was working fully automaticly as he walked along side Kouri to the Operation Room- his heart beating rapidly as he began to think about it: She, the one and only princess Kouri, requested- no, asked him politely, if he wanted to walk with him to the operation room, together. Was he that important to her? Only she knew the true answer, but Baldrik puzzled around in his mind that question as he arrived in the Operations Room with Kouri.

(The Operation's Room)
Once Baldrik entered the Operation's Room, he quickly approached one end of the table that had the plan laid out on it, trying to not stay far away from Kouri as he did. Once she had spoken, and the Commander laid down the paths and explained them thoroughly, Baldrik realised that taking the longest paths would be suicidal in their own rights, and the fastest ones would ruin Baldrik's mood rather easily. Especially climbing that mountain with his lizard arm would freeze him rather well... But Kouri had already admitted to him that their journey would end on a Frozen Throne in a land far away, where the touch of men is not remembered by the Earth that inhabit those lands. Once it was time for decision making, Baldrik cleared his throat and began to speak up:

"Taking the Dark Wood's a dumb path, as we'll have countless of miles of darkness and woods that'll stop us from seeing anything. If we have a faithful encounter in there and get spun-around, we could very well march our way into the enemy's hands without realising it. I also highly doubt the elves would appreciate us marching through their territory, disturbing their peace and what not."

Baldrik pointed down towards the base of the mountain, where the Abyss had been marked out. "This route, is too insecure. If I remember correctly, one of my ancestors walked the wrong path for ten years until he found his way home again, all because the tunnels changed themselves so frequently. Only pure luck would make sure we'd get to our destination on time, and even if the path's clear: Mechanists and other races live down there. Much like the elves, they wouldn't appreciate our march either, and would without a doubt seek to profit from Kouri walking through the tunnels- in lands none is used to."

He gave out a deep sigh as he looked at the route that'd be filled with the magic-sniffers, and shook his head. "We're not going to throw ourselves to the dogs. Sorry, Illusionist, but I highly doubt even your arts would keep us safe here. Too many Crusaders, too few sorts of magic to keep them from ratting us out."

Lastly- the one route that Baldrik hated, was left. He tapped twice on the top of the mountains, and spoke: "This is the safest route. Those ancient traps won't harm me as badly, we can surely fight the enemy if they're Orcs and Raiders, as we'd be able to spot them relatively quickly. Only thing I hate with this route, is that it's obviously going to get cold... So if anyone can bring extra fur-coats, I'd appreciate it." And with that, Baldrik backed off: awaiting more opinions to be shed.

The Amazon and the 'Shaman', A collab between Rahim and Kouri
(Featuring @Brovo as Kouri)

After Rahim was finished in the bath, he got changed into the clothes given to him from the storeroom of the King’s Rangers. The trousers were of an agreeable quality, and he quickly took to the dark leather shoes. The shirt, however, was far less so. He found the fit was uncomfortable against his frame, and he discarded it for his normal, shirtless preference. With his attire dealt with, he decided now was as good a time as any to get food. Leaving his axe inside the room he’d claimed the night before, he made his way to the dining hall.

As he made his way there, Rahim wondered about what foods would be offered to him. He expected that the King’s Rangers had managed to catch ample game for them all, but he was hoping for fruit, more than anything. It had been far too long since he’d had a piece of fruit bigger than a berry. Apple orchids were more-often-than-not guarded, after all.

As Rahim arrived in the dining hall, he noticed a few note-worthy companions had already snuck their way into the dining hall. Shrugging, the Amazon approached the food itself; temporarily ignoring company in favour of filling a plate. He focused on the fruits; grabbing a few apples, an orange, and a peach, before moving on to the platters of nuts, and finally onto the cooked meats. It was at this time he saw Kouri, seemingly looking for conversation. Rahim pauses for a second, before approaching the blue-haired woman. “Greetings, Lake-Shaman. Would you care to sit with me for a while? I would like to know you more.” He smiled at her, before indicating towards a few open seats.

"Lake Shaman?" Kouri mutters in confusion, as a spark of curiosity enters her eyes. "I would be delighted." She sits down at one of the open tables motioned to by Rahim.

Rahim nods, then takes a seat on the table opposite the woman. "Well, I am Rahim. I was at the lake when you arose from it. I have traveled alone for nearly a year now; and since you seem willing to have me, I intend to travel with you for a time." At that, Rahim picked up a small orange, and started to peel it. "You are...Koru? No, Kouri? Is that the correct one? I heard people say it, and people seem to associate you with a princess from many years ago. Truthfully, I don't much know of your story, I am sorry to say." Having peeled the orange, Rahim uses the knife he'd peeled the flesh of the orange with to pick out a segment; which he then fed himself. After a moment of chewing, he cut of a similar section and offered it to Kouri.

Kouri takes it and bows her head in thanks. She then nibbles on it, her appetite seeming somewhat diminished by her thoughts. "Do you wish to know my tale? It is rather tragic, I will warn you now."

Rahim pauses to dwell on the answer of her question, before he cut out another wedge of orange. "That depends; do you think it matters?" He looks up at the princess, popping the slice into his mouth and chewing thoughtfully. "You are already an interesting person without the pomp and ceremony and the tragedy. Tell me if it pleases you, but do not trouble yourself over it."

"It will likely matter if you wish to know why I am fighting, and why so many wish me dead." She looks at the orange slice in her hand, only nibbled on. "What about me do you find so interesting, if not the legends surrounding me?" She seemed genuinely curious about his response, having been surrounded by others that asked her about her legend all morning.

Rahim shrugs, responding quickly with: "You are a powerful shaman; you are a beautiful woman; you are wise enough and charismatic enough to convince a small tribe's worth of people to follow you based on a few words alone; and you...well, my instincts are roaring around in my head: saying that you are someone worth following. That you'll change things that are near you. People, and places, and whatever else you want to change." He cut through a forth slice of the orange, half-way through the fruit now as he lay it on the shed skin below. "I don't have much else to go on, but I'm hoping that my instincts are right. If not? I don't know, maybe I'll disappear into the deserts; or maybe I'll go back to my people. If nothing else, I'm sure you'll give me a story worth telling." He smiled, before biting through half of the orange segment, and chewing.

Kouri blinks, then looks down at her seemingly small piece of the orange. She smiles a little and takes a bite out of it. Once she finishes swallowing it, she looks up at Rahim and nods in appreciation. "I hope not to disappoint you, then."

Rahim scratches his chin, before saying. “I’m sure you will not. You are surrounded by capable people, and you are capable yourself.” He then looks up and grins at her. “And I will also be there, ensuring you do not fail.

After a moment, Rahim stood up to leave, before turning back to Kouri. “Do you have anything you want to ask me? It is only fair I offer you that.

"Where do you come from?" Kouri asks, her voice filled with curiosity.

Rahim paused for a moment; caught between conflicting ideas. In the end, it was Marcus' previous mention of knowing where he was from that changed his mind. He could tell Kouri at least some of his story. "I hail from a place very far away. Katafýgio (Shelter) is her name: For she is home to many great and terrible things.” Instinctively, Rahim reaches down to rub at the largest scar on his chest; jogging an old memory.

Kouri nods in thanks, then looks Rahim eye to eye. "Thank you. I have no more questions right now."

Rahim takes a moment to stare into Kouri's eyes, trying to peer into her soul, before he eventually smirked and looked away. "Thank you for this. It has been a pleasure." Picking up the orange, and cutting it into four more segments, Rahim places two of them onto a plate in front of Kouri, before turning to leave with his breakfast.

Dean
Reactionary Tactics
He had been prepared for the eventual decision since hearing Kasienka speak, and he had made objections not out of callousness, but because he felt they needed to be said. He had all but made peace with traveling through the Mountain Pass but now Dean felt a very different sensation overtake him as Baldrik spoke. It wasn't so much that he too was endorsing the Pass, but that in doing so he had called the thought of taking the Dark Forest 'dumb'. He wouldn't stand for that. He stepped forward again, fully facing Baldrik.

"I'm sorry? Dumb? You're saying that the forest is a bad plan while implying the greatest concern we have to face in the Mountains is the cold? Even in levity that's a bit of a stretch." He wove his hand in a motion that spanned the table. "None of these plans are dumb. They all have inherit risks, and benefits, but they all run the same amount of risk ultimately. Are you aware of the caverns that run through the Mountains? I assume not, no offence. In an instant you can go from seeing nothing to being surrounded by Orcs. A slew of Bandits can spring upon you at any moment, and I won't even bother mentioning Vampires again." He paused for a moment, catching his breath, trying to keep himself from losing his temper. "Then at the end of it all we fall on Rheinfeld from a path well known to be used by raiding Bandits and Orcs alike. At the first glimpse of us by anyone, Templar would surely come to investigate and where does your safety come from then? This powerful mage we don't know whether we can trust or not? The Ranger outpost? I seem to recall coming here for safety, yet soon after arriving it would appear this location is compromised. Who's to say the same fate hasn't befallen this other outpost between now and when we finally arrive?"

"Like anything else if we were to take the forest we mark the trail we take somehow to make sure we don't lose our way or back track. Hell, if you're so afraid of getting lost in the woods I know a man who used to quietly escort people through them for 20 crowns a head... and an elf that would do it for 5." He stepped back to where he had been, and leaned against the wall with his fist pressed to his forehead. A headache was working on him now, and he realized that carrying on his training through the night had most likely made him temperamental.

"Move fast enough through the Abyss and you should be clear of any shifting, and keep quiet enough along the Trader's pass and no one notices us at all. That's why its a difficult choice to make, because there is no clear path." He sighed and looked to the door of the Operations room. "I withdraw my vote. Just call me when the decision's made." He then left the room to find somewhere quiet to rest for however long it took for the others to finish the debate.

Samuel Mourn de Vandestryker en Karnarvon the 4th.
A Vote for Reason.

Samuel had enjoyed his morning bath, having decided to give Kouri space for now he had proceeded to enjoy a nice breakfast of bacon, eggs, sausages with some toasted bread slathered in gravy and a sprinkling of salt. Quite content he had proceeded to his chambers and gotten changed into a fresh set of clothing before heading to the meeting. He remained quiet during the discussions as he processed his own thoughts on the matter. Those wanting to go over the mountains or through the underdark were fools. Either one might be less trafficked, but sticking your dick in the wicked witch of the west might be a less travelled passage too, but it was still likely to bite you.

That left the forest, and the traders path.

"The Trader's Pass is probably the best option of the lot, but it would also be the most sensible path, though it would require disguises for some, like the Princess, I doubt most of us are at all well known. We could even disguise Kouri as a minor noble of the Kingdom of Dreams, I would need no disguise, we could simply disguise it as 'Karen', my betrothed, and I touring the kingdoms as part of the ceremony of courting, this would justify the larger party, Pat being a literate man could be disguised as my chamberlain or master of ceremonies, those more martially inclined could easily play the part of guards while those others of you could play the role of my master of spies," He said looking at Mikan, "for example."

He leaned back. "Even James could serve well as an advisor." Samuel resisted the urge to throw up a little at saying anything positive about the Illusionist. He'd sooner force-feed him into the jaws of a slightly retarded dragon than take the man's advice. "So my vote is the trade road."

Tahlia Wether
Operations Room

Damnit, Tahlia winced, watching as Dean made his exit. From what Faolan had told her, this wasn't his first fit. For a moment, she yearned to reach out and comfort him, but she knew that despite the immediate feelings to the contrary, this meeting was too important to miss for the sake of personal matters.

Sensing her tension, Faolan ceased his pacing. He'll be fine, he sent.

Resigning herself to the situation, she turned back to the tables.

"And what of my wolf," she cut in, addressing Samuel. "Hardly a nobleman's pet. Does Rahim look to be native to your lands? Or my accent, or his" Designating the Rheinfelder that had spoken earlier. "—or even hers." Looking to Kouri. "We can't just look the part, we must embody it in full. I'm not saying the trade route isn't an option, but if we're disguising ourselves, that hardly seems to be the way to go about it."

"Dean's right, none of these paths are safe. Though I assure you," she said, turning to Baldrik, "I know how to traverse a forest. We won't get lost. And at least we wouldn't have to worry about any angels seeing us from above—something far more likely in the mountain passes."[/hr]

Amaia and LiWei - Manners
(A collab with @Soulless)

LiWei wandered the bedchambers, enjoying the relative quiet. He was probably going to head to the dining hall soon enough, but for now he wanted to let his feet travel and his mind wander somewhere else. He stopped when he turned and saw Amaia- a woman he had suspected might've been avoiding him a bit- leaving one of the rooms. No questions needed as to why; he was a foreigner after all. He paused and smiled his polite smile, waving. "Good morning! I do not believe we have being introduced?"

Amaia closed the door quietly behind her, not wishing to wake Tahlia and Faolan with her early departure. Just as she was turning to go, she pulled up short upon seeing a foreigner approaching, the weird one with the bandages and the odd accent. "No, we haven't. What do you want?" Her words were curt and her brows were drawn down in what could be confusion or annoyance.

LiWei keeps his smile polite, harmless. "I would like to talk a little bit, if that is okay. Are you busy?"

"Not really, but..." Amaia trailed off, looked him over, then shook her head briefly as she muttered something to herself under her breath. "Yeah, alright, a little talk can't hurt I suppose."

"If you would like me not to talk to you, I understand. I am foreign, after all. I will not hold against you." He bowed a bit, then extended a hand. "I am Zhong LiWei. Please call me LiWei- like you are giving me lee way for my different."

Amaia grimaced at the reminder that the man was a foreigner, and his extended hand, but it twitched into a faintly bemused smile at the pun. She murmured something to herself again, the same thing as before, and reached out to give his hand a quick shake. "I'm Amaia. I hunt monsters. What are you doing here instead of," she circled her hand vaguely in the air, "wherever you're from?"

LiWei shook her hand like she was made of fragile glass. He smiled widely to her. Perhaps a change in subject from his own foreignness would help. "I am traveling far to enjoy the world as I can. It seems that fate is putting my feet here with you and the royal highness Kouri for now. What do you think of her? "

"She's.. interesting." Amaia's tone was cautious, and it wouldn't take a master of perception to realize she was being intentionally vague instead of giving her true thoughts. "It's not every day that you meet a figure out of legend, you know. Definitely not what I expected from the stories, but stories always exaggerate and lose details, so that's no surprise."

"What kind of things did you expect?" He asked, keeping his voice relatively light and gentle. Like talking to a pup.

"I don't know, miracles or something? Someone who seems larger than life?" She shrugged and looked away, scratching her jaw lightly with her right hand. "Doesn't matter exactly what I expected. She's got the looks from the stories, but otherwise she's just a person. I've seen whores with a more regal attitude. It's just strange to hear tales about how great and wonderful someone is, only for them to turn out to be so.. normal."

LiWei watched her movements, careful. "Would you be happier if she were more legendary in her manner?" He proposes, watching. This woman talks such uncouth things so purposefully and carelessly. He wanted to know why and how this woman thought.

"Dunno. Maybe. It would make things simpler." Amaia turned her gaze back to LiWei, eyes narrowed. "What about you? What do you think of Kouri?

"She is royalty. She bears all responsibility for her nation- and her nation is gone now but the burden has not. She has lost, perhaps everything, but she insists on continuing. Lesser nobles would lose reason and use their legendary to take back money or what small they can have to get back the life, relieved of the responsibility." LiWei spoke with no small amount of understanding- perhaps even empathy. Strange for a poor foreigner to think of royalty with no spite or malice and with insight to the workings. Though whether or not he made much sense was questionable, in this. "She is the young leader of memory of nation. Why does she continue? I would like to find out."

Amaia couldn't help a bit of a sneer at LiWei's odd way of speaking. "And what if her reason is simply greed or lust for power? What if she's not content with the idea of settling for less than what she lost? Would you still find her so interesting then?"

LiWei smiled, a peculiar thing. It made his eyes crinkle at the corners, and yet there was little mirth in the movement. "Then she is royalty, like a rabbit is a rabbit even if it is brave for a second. Do you not agree?"

"Suppose so, though I would've said it differently. A cunt's a cunt, no matter how you dress it up. I figure that's a better saying for royalty being a greedy shit rather than living up to a legend."

LiWei laughs a bit at her language. What a woman. Did no one teach her manners? Was she really that poor? He decided to switch strategies. "Say, what is it like being a monster hunter? Could you tell me some big big stories of your hunt?"

The sudden change in topic caught Amaia off guard. "Uh, I could, I suppose. It's mostly boring and lonely, tracking things or lying in wait for them, sometimes for days. A lot of them are real smart and they take even more patience. Others are just complicated." The foreigner's excessively good manners were starting the irritate her, so she knew exactly which story to tell to hopefully shock him. "I could tell you about the time it took me three days to kill a werewolf, and that was after all the time it took to identify him, if you're so interested."

LiWei smiled and nodded, listening attentively. "Ah. That sounds very good. Three full days- so it was very hard?" He paid rapt attention, not much different than if she was saying she had slain a legendary beast such as a god or an angel.

"Hah, part of it was." Amaia laughed at her own comment briefly before hurrying on to explain. "See, it took a few full moons for me to figure out that the werewolf was the cute fellow who made a living doing odd work for the nearby farms. He lived alone in a little cottage out by himself, so nobody was around to notice him disappearing each night that one of the attacks happened, until I got there and snooped around of course. He was real wary, didn't want to let anyone get close to him and possibly figure out his secret, but everyone has a weakness. His was the obvious one." Amaia made a quick downward gesture toward her own body to make it crystal clear.

"When I showed up at his cottage late one night, muddy and bloody with clothes torn up, nothing on me except a simple knife, with a story about being chased by bandits and losing everything but my life to them, the fool took me in without a second thought. Didn't trust me, of course, and kept a close watch on me, but that was fine. By the next night I made sure he felt like a proper hero, with all my thanks and 'I just wish there was some way I could repay you' and batting eyelashes. Night after that I'd dropped enough hints that he made his move, and I showed him all the gratitude he could hope for. He wasn't half bad, little bit wild and rough, but he was a werewolf so I expected it. In the morning he let his guard down a few times, but I let it go because I couldn't finish it clean in those moments. By that final night I think he was ready to profess love for me and ask me to marry him, and more the fool him for that. As he laid beside me, drifting off to sleep without bothering to make sure I was truly asleep first, I plunged my dagger into his heart. He never saw it coming, and I don't think he realized what happened before he slipped away."

Amaia drummed her fingers along the hilt of one of her daggers, perhaps the one from the story. "The moral of that story is that patience pays off in the end. Oh, and don't let sex make you stupid, but that's a harder one to put into practice."

LiWei paused. He looked at Amaia. The dagger. Amaia again. His smile stayed, stalwart and friendly. The rest of him, though...

This woman was crazy. Who taught her that? What kind of poor woman is she? Why would she talk about something so private, that made her look so bad to him? Did she have no honor? Did no one teach her poise? Was she just a monster, like the monsters she hunted? Did she have tufts of fur, like a werewolf, to explain her... her... unwomanlike behavior? He opened his mouth, gaping like a fish without air. He opened and closed his mouth for several minutes.

Then his smile widened a bit. "Ah. That is... That is very creative!" He laughed a bit, to comfort himself of his own awkwardness. "I will learning your lesson good. Thank you for the wisdom."

Amaia didn't even try to hide the smug smirk that came to her face as she watched LiWei falter. "Yeah, you do that. I've got some people I need to talk to, so you have fun thinking on that lesson." She turned to go, but then stopped, still smirking. "Unless you want to hear another. I've got plenty more like the werewolf story."

LiWei smiled and shook his head, perhaps a bit too quickly. "No. No. I'll think n your lesson. Thank you." He turned right on his heel and got out of there. What a woman.

Amaia chortled at the hasty departure and headed off in a different direction. Disturbing the foreigner was a lovely start to the day, and as she made her way through the Kings Rangers' compound looking for someone else to pester she couldn't stop the occasional little chuckle as she remembered him scurrying away.

~~~

Amaia and Kouri - An Awkward Chat
(A collab with @Brovo)
After extricating herself from a chat the bald foreigner, Amaia went off to find Kouri. She hadn't gotten the chance to say anything to the princess after the trial and figured she probably should. Or, being more honest with herself, she really just wanted to have a good excuse for eyeing such a gorgeous specimen of humanity without being a total creep, and having a conversation with her was as good an excuse as any. It didn't take much asking around to find out that she was currently bathing, and that was an opportunity Amaia could not pass up.

Though there were two bathing chambers, it was immediately obvious that Kouri would be in the one with guards posted outside the door. That was a complication, but hopefully a minor one. Amaia walked up to them with an amiable smile and gave them each a nod by way of greeting. "Is Kouri accepting visitors at the moment?"

The two guards look at each other, and one sighs. "Yes. You are not the first to ask." Yet, they remain in the way, as the sounds of someone exiting the bath behind them wander to Amaia's ears.

After a moment of silence, Kouri's voice rings out from within the steamy bathing chamber. "You may enter now." The guards step out of the way as Kouri finishes putting on her towel.

"Of course I'm not. I'm sure there are legions of perverts out there just dying to get a peek at her in the bath." Amaia gave the guards a wink and a grin as she strolled on past them into the bathing chamber. She made no effort to be coy about things, looking Kouri over from head to toe with that grin still on her face. "Oops, I forgot to mention I'm one of those perverts. Sorry. I could also get naked if that would make things less awkward." She reached up to the top clasp of her leather bodice, unhooking it before looking to Kouri for a reaction as her hands drifted down toward the next clasp.

Immediately, Kouri averts her gaze and looks straight toward the waters of the bath. There was a hint of a blush on her cheeks, though the steam obscured Amaia's vision somewhat. What it did not obscure, was the embarrassment and irritation in Kouri's tone. "Such brazen behaviour is not warranted nor welcome, I asked for privacy to use these baths, please do not make me regret allowing you in here." Her eyes wander away from the pond, toward Amaia, the blush having faded as quickly as it came. "I still remember your words. If you think to entertain me with further accusations of a lack of chastity, I would ask you take your taunting elsewhere." Her tone became more somber as she spoke, still obviously unsettled from their prior encounter.

"Ah, right." Amaia's hands reversed course and she worked to redo the clasp she had undone before. "That was, uh, probably not the smartest way to try to be funny. I didn't mean to imply..." She trailed off and cleared her throat awkwardly, keeping her eyes up at a respectful level now. "I'm starting to realize I should probably just be straightforward with you rather than fucking about. I came here to congratulate you for passing the trial and, y'know, not being killed as a fake."

A few moments of silence passed between them as Kouri adjusted the towel draping her form, tightening it a little. Still, the small smile on her lips appeared genuine, and her tone changed to be softer. "Thank you. I appreciate it." She sits down beside the bath, and then glances over toward Amaia. "I know you're attracted to me, and I'm not objecting that. I've seen many of the same looks from avaricious men, and a few women over the years... I do not know how intimacy is handled in this time, but, in my time, it is... A delicate thing. One does not give so boastfully or freely, like that one, peculiar woman... Mikan." She looks down toward the bath, and looks at her own reflection. She runs a hand through her own hair, appreciatively for the work that someone else did straightening it out for her. "I will say the same thing to you as I have to the other potential suitors for my hand among this group. You may try, but, my heart is heavy. As for your words, you are forgiven. You do seem to want to do right. I can appreciate that, as much as your apology."

Her eyes wander across the waters of the bath, as she seemed almost lost in her own thoughts. "I don't think I learned your name... Or, if I have, pardon, but I have forgotten it. What is it?"

"Oh, right, I don't think I introduced myself last time we talked. Too busy being an ass, I guess. I'm Amaia Nekane." She took a couple steps forward, though not getting very close to Kouri with this movement, and lowered her voice such that the guards outside likely wouldn't hear. "Thanks for the explanation, but, uh, at this point I think I'm better off not pursuing anything of the sort with you. Most people do go for more traditional paths to intimacy, but I've always been the odd one out. I make my jokes and make my interest obvious and plainly ask people if they wanna fu-" She caught herself and coughed lightly.

"Anyway, I don't think we'd really, you know, work out. I never got the hang of relationships, and you're probably not the type who'd want to have a few weeks of fun and then go your separate way. You're right that I'm attracted, but I can admit that it's all on the looks and there's nothing really there aside from that." Amaia paused, then laughed quietly. "Shit, I sound like I'm trying to let you down easy. I figure you won't take any offense when I say this, but I'm not looking to woo you or anything. If you change your mind about intimacy some day and want someone to warm your bed for a night or two I wouldn't turn you down, but I'm not dumb enough to try to, I don't know, court you or whatever. I'll leave that to the people who might actually be worth your time and interest."

"Whoever said you weren't?" Kouri mutters under her breath, with some measure of concern. Still, she looks up at Amaia and smiles warmly. "I take no offense, Amaia. Your offer of bed warming is noted, but unnecessary. Is there anything else you need, or may I return to my bath?"

Amaia's brows drew together at what she thought she heard the princess mutter, but she dismissed it as something misheard. "Oh, no, that was it. I'll go." She turned and walked away, but stopped after a few steps, still facing the door. "Sorry for.. well, being me, I guess. I'm still working on that being a better person thing." Amaia cleared her throat awkwardly and hurried on out, not waiting for whatever response might have come.

~~~

Amaia, Gregory, and Kouri - Blood From A Stone
(A collab with @Brovo)

After all the explaining and the four different people advocating four different routes, Amaia noted one person had conspicuously refrained from giving an opinion. Gregory, the leader of the King's Rangers, had simply presented the options and seemed to have no bias toward or against any of them. Curious though she was about what he thought of the paths, in truth she had an ulterior motive, a bet made yesterday with Dean, and it was a far greater motivator to approach the dour man than simple curiosity.

Amaia made her way slowly around the table, looking at all the papers on it with little comprehension. She couldn't read most of the words, and although she had seen maps before she had only ever figured out how they worked in relation to compass directions. She sidled over next to the Commander and gestured at the confusing mass of information. "Nice work, Commander, but I noticed something missing from the presentation. We've heard some opinions on which way to go, but not yours. You seem like a man with a lot of experience in many things. Which path would you suggest we take?"

Gregory looks at Amaia with a cold look. "All have their advantages and disadvantages. It is not my place to choose which, however..."
He looks at Kouri, still coldly, as she seems to pretend not to notice it. "Some need to demonstrate the capacity to choose."

"Tough but fair, I'd say. I'm no leader who needs to do the choosing though, so let me put it to you this way. Say there's a young woman of questionable virtue with only leather armor and small blades to defend herself with." Amaia patted the hilt of one of the daggers hanging from her belt for emphasis. "For various reasons, she wants nothing to do with the trade route or the Abyss. Would you say the forest or the trek over the mountains is less perilous for such a young woman? I think I know the answer, but I'd like an expert opinion."

What may have been an attempt at humour either fell flat upon Gregory, or he was replying in a fashion so utterly deadpan that it seemed he couldn't care either way. "The answer is such a young woman should not brave the perils of a journey such as this, if she should worry of risk."

Amaia shrugged one shoulder at the rebuke. "Only a fool would rush into danger without thinking about the risk. There's a vast difference between being cautious and being a coward, and being a fool is worse than both. I'm no seasoned commander of men, but it seems to me that if you want to get something done and you have multiple options then you ought to consider their risks and rewards. Why else would you consider the options in the first place?" She gestured to the table with all the options mapped out, just in case it hadn't been clear enough. "If you don't want to give your opinion that's fine, but playing the fool doesn't suit you."

Gregory maintains his callous tone, as he pays more attention toward Kouri's reactions than Amaia's questions. "There is a limited amount of information on each path, and each path has its own consequences. To go faster incurs greater risk of detection in the short term, to go slower incurs greater risk of detection in the long term. Each location, each path, has different risks. No lesser, nor greater, because one cannot plan for the unknowable." He finally looks toward Amaia, irritation in his eyes. "So, I repeat myself, but worded as though to a child for your sake: If such a woman were so concerned with the risks of the journey, and constantly calculated for the path of least resistance, they would find themselves constantly disappointed with the answer. There is no safest choice, only different consequences. The only recommendation I would have for such a woman is to find a nice man to marry, settle down, and hopefully breed children more deserving of the life she so callously throws away for the vain hope of safety." The room had fallen silent to listen to Gregory verbally accosting the woman before him, and as he glances up to the rest of the room, they immediately return to various duties and conversations so as to avoid his wrath.

As for Kouri, she listened, and did not particularly acknowledge any statement. She seemed more intent on the map before her, and weighing the consequences of any decision.

Though the response wasn't exactly unexpected, it was disappointing nonetheless. Flattery had failed, plain old humor did nothing, and throwing some sass the commander's way had only annoyed him. Amaia had met a few dour types who would smile, in a not-so-friendly way, at an impudent woman who dared to chide them, but the Commander was apparently not cut from the same cloth. It seemed her bet with Dean was going to be another loss, or perhaps a draw if he also failed to get a smile from the man. Full on flirtation was unlikely to work, more jokes probably wouldn't help, and flat out mockery probably wouldn't end well for her. The only thing to do was to cut her losses and walk away.

Amaia smirked up at the man and shook her head just a touch from side to side. "And where would the fun in that be? You've misjudged me, Commander. I'm well aware the safest choice isn't the same thing as a safe choice. If I was only after safety I wouldn't be here, now would I?"

She looked over to Kouri and pointed at the map, toward what she thought was the forest. "For whatever my opinion is worth, I think the forest is the least ris-" She cut herself off and gave an exaggerated and melodramatic eye roll. "Sorry, the path that seems like it'll have the least dire consequences. You've got two monster hunters with you who should be able to help keep most everyone alive from monstrous threats and elves are supposed to keep to themselves so long as you stay away from their territory. Better to take the extra time and live than rush and get consumed by the Abyss or caught by angels on the other routes."

Kouri nods appreciatively for the advice and smiles, and Gregory simply says nothing as he crosses his arms and waits for Kouri's answer.

Amaia returned Kouri's nod and walked away from the table, mentally cursing at the obstinate commander's apparent lack of positive emotion. Given her failure to make the man smile, now she could only hope that Dean also failed to wring blood from that particular stone.

Linston's first meeting with Kouri
(A collab between Rusty4297 as Linston and Brovo as Kouri)​

Linston, after having arriving here and training with some of the rangers, couldn't help but wonder about the commotion that they seemed to make about a woman claiming to be the true Kouri. He expected it to be another of the fakes that wandered the world trying to get free money from supporters or for it to be a simple illusionist trying to show their talent. As he went about his usual business of training though, some of the rangers began to spread word of Kouri's legitimacy. He had intended to let them bring him in as a recruit, but he had to find out about his other options... His more interesting options. He decided to wait in the hall outside of Kouri's room to speak to her on her own time, hoping that he could see if joining her on her adventures might be interesting... Perhaps it would provide more than working beside these rangers.

Princess Kouri walks out of her bedroom, closing the door gently behind her. The two guards at the door stand to attention as she rubs at her eyes and yawns. Upon looking around the hall, she would see a man standing nearby, who seemed to have been waiting for her. The two guards tense up, being ready to remove the man, but Kouri raises one of her hands quickly to make them relax. It seemed she was rather uncomfortable with their overzealous protection. She clears her throat, and speaks softly, though her tone implied that she had not been awake long. "Hello, I am afraid I have not learned of your name yet... Who are you?"

Linston smiled as the supposed princess left her room. "Ahh, the lovely princess. My name is Linston Iolin. I am a musician and a budding illusionist, I am pleased to make your acquaintance." He gave a quick bow, not so low as to show that he thought she was true royalty, but low enough that it might not offend her unless she happened to be especially fond of holding her power over others. He looked her up and down for a quick moment, looking to see if he could distinguish any differences between her and the Kouri that many people knew her to look like. "My sincerest apologies for bothering you at such a possibly inopportune time, but I felt it best to meet you before deciding my future." He thought she might be confused about this statement, and so decided to explain quickly. "I'm not a ranger, not officially. I was training with them, and was intended to become one, but the future is uncertain."

If she noticed the difference in his bow than that which one would ordinarily give to royalty, she didn't react to it visibly. Nonetheless, his gaze over her form was something she did notice, and with a momentary narrow look, as her hair was still a mess, and she had just woken up. Though he looked for as long as he felt necessary, Linston would not be able to discern any flaw in Kouri's appearance where it concerned the legends. Even her strangely alluring beauty seemed preserved, in spite of her messy hair. "The future always seems uncertain in the present, yet I doubt you speak of philosophy. So I must then ask, what it is you mean by such a statement?"

Linston nodded as she said that he didn't speak for philosophy, and glanced about. "Well, I'm sure you don't want to just stand here. We might as well walk to wherever you intended to go, unless you intend to keep it secret. I don't want to keep you too long, but I don't know how long our talk will be." He gave a quick smile, "If you would prefer, however, I can try to make this brief and we can talk at a later time that you may find more appropriate."

Kouri pauses, and then smiles politely. "We may simply walk." As she starts down the hallway, the two king's rangers follow behind her, keeping watch for any trouble that may come her way, no matter how unlikely it may be. She motions for Linston to walk beside her, and crosses her hands behind her back comfortably as she walks. "Our talk will be however long it needs to be, though I would like an answer to my question."

Linston nodded, beginning to walk beside her. "My sincerest apologies, I just felt it better to avoid keeping you from where you need be." He thought about how to phrase the answer for a second before glancing to her once more, "Well. You supposedly already have quite the following. So, I felt that if you'd have me along, I might very well wish to join your escapade. It might be interesting, and I'll be doing the job of a ranger by joining you anyway, so they would have no reason to deny the option." He looked ahead, curious as to where they may be going. He unintentionally began copying the crossing of hands behind the back, and glanced to her once more. "Of course, I'm sure you wouldn't want any random person with you... I know of many stories that might help us, and I might be able to help with... ruses as needed."

"A postman has joined my cause, I doubt you are unqualified." Her lips curve upward slightly, as she turns a corner to a staircase, and starts ascending it. Linston would notice a little bit of blue energy momentarily race around the sleeves of her dress, before vanishing as suddenly as they came. She was keeping her mind preoccupied with magic. "I would welcome your company, though I must warn you that the journey will be long and fraught with danger... I will try to prevent harm to you, but, I do not think I can promise such things."

Linston smiled, amused that a postman would be joining the princess in her adventures. He proceeded to follow her up the stairs, taking note of how the blue glow appeared. "Well, no matter how dangerous it may get, I'm sure the postman you speak of will be more than capable of defending me." He paused for a second before speaking up again. "And there's always the fact that I have some illusions with which to protect myself. Though they can't directly injure others as your magic might, illusions can... Let's say they can control the situation before it gets too wild to do so." He frowned slightly as he followed her up the stairs, "Although, I'm not sure exactly what your group intends to do... Do you perhaps intend to take revenge on he who wronged you?" He glanced in Kouri's direction, looking for any sign that she might have a simple intention as this.

"I have a few goals." The princess murmurs under her breath, as they reach the floor she sought. She steps out into another corridor, walking her way through toward what Linston would now recognize as the path to the baths. "To defeat the Gods and to restore my kingdom to its rightful place. To free this world of the tyrants who rule over them all. I may perish trying to accomplish this task, but it is certainly better than simply waiting for the Gods to destroy me." She looks at Linston. Though she still looked a little tired, her eyes reflected a fierce determination that would not easily be silenced. "If neither of these objectives appeals to you, I'm afraid I have nothing more to promise accomplishing than that."

Linston nodded as she murmurred her preface to her intent. He followed her into the hall that would head towards the bath, and glanced about. Makes sense that she would want to come here... Suppose this may be why she didn't seem overly rushed. He thought over the reasons that she provided, "Well, these reasons seem interesting enough. It will likely be more interesting than training here. Perhaps it'll be a good chance to practice my magic outside of a training scenario... Then with that, I ask you, will you grant me the opportunity to join you and your band of allies?" He glanced to her, wondering if the fierce determination that she showed for this would be maintained throughout the likely numerous trials ahead.

"I believe I already stated that I would welcome your company, Linston." Kouri bows her head politely, showing respect for the man volunteering to join her. It was more than most nobles would bother with. "I will bathe now, and then eat in the dining hall. After that, feel free to join me in the operations room... There we will see what the next step of our journey is."

Linston nodded, "Of course, but I felt it necessary to formally request to join so that there would be no misunderstandings." He nodded to her as she explained what was to come and he stopped, turning to her. He gave his bow at about the same depth as he did at the beginning of their meeting, "I will be sure to be at the operations room soon enough. I do hope that I'll get along with the rest of your band of followers, lest this become a very awkward journey." He gave a smile before speaking once more "And with that, I bid you farewell. It was a pleasure to meet you, and I'm sure it'll be just so with every meeting to come." He proceeded to depart from the princess, making sure he remembered where he was to go shortly.

"And what of my wolf," she cut in, addressing Samuel. "Hardly a nobleman's pet. Does Rahim look to be native to your lands? Or my accent, or his" Designating the Rheinfelder that had spoken earlier. "—or even hers." Looking to Kouri. "We can't just look the part, we must embody it in full. I'm not saying the trade route isn't an option, but if we're disguising ourselves, that hardly seems to be the way to go about it."

"Dean's right, none of these paths are safe. Though I assure you," she said, turning to Baldrik, "I know how to traverse a forest. We won't get lost. And at least we wouldn't have to worry about any angels seeing us from above—something far more likely in the mountain passes."
Samuel Mourn de Vandestryker en Karnarvon the 4th.
A Response.

"What of your wolf? Or do you consider Waral," he paused, "My Lizard to be a typical nobleman's pet? For I can assure you he is not. And what of Rahim, or Mikan, would someone adventuring with their betrothed not pick up hangers on and guides as they moved? It would be a foolish man indeed who did not seek out other guides. Your lack of critical thinking is showing, you're concerned about how you can force yourself to fit a party only of people from the Kingdom of Dreams, as opposed to imagining how you might fit into the role of a travelling party."

He said plainly, "The idea isn't to pretend that we are all from my homeland. The idea is simply to present ourselves as a travelling party, LiWei could play the part of a merchant from far lands seeking the favour of nobility, Kalemn could serve in the role of a raider who had been shown mercy in exchange for well paid service as a bodyguard." He shrugged. "I would not ask people to force themselves into roles I envision, but envision for themselves roles which would fit them comfortably and support the disguise."

He made a gesture encouraging people to examine the room. "Not counting the one who left a moment ago look around, we are not a small group. Moving by the Abyss or over the Mountain is putting the Princess in direct danger on the slim hopes of going unnoticed or the nebulous stories of a mage on the mountain. The forest offers concealment, with a chance of getting lost, if the Trade Road is inviable it would be the most sensible alternate route. But for moving along the trade road, the sensible route, we need to disguise the party in a believable fashion. We are not all soldiers so disguising ourselves as soldiers wouldn't work, nor could we pass for a merchant caravan. But a pair of betrothed nobles adventuring across the lands before being married in an exotic land? While it would draw notice, it would draw the right notice."

Baldrik Larsson
An argument upon deaf-ears.

Whilst Baldrik was happy that his statement had sparked up a debate of sorts regarding where they would go, he was none the less dissapointed with what they thought would be a good plan. Whilst Baldrik still held some faith for the Forest, he had none hope they'd manage to go through the Trader's Pass without being noticed and torn to shreads. "The problem with the Trader's Pass is that we need to worry not only about disguises and new ways of talking through our tongues, but that they'd sniff us out regarding the magic some of us use, including the Noble Man's, princess Kouri's, the Wolf, just to state a few. It's pure suicidal to think that bringing attention upon Princess Kouri would only beam up that of positive emotions among the commoners at this stage, because let us all be honest: We'd all recognize Kouri from a mile away, due to all the merchandise and portraits there exists of her. I'd suggest perhaps sending some sort of a decoy to Trader's Pass: but nothing more. A rumor. Even if everyone else manages to slip by, I fear the Angels might sense the ancient curse that's still affecting me." Baldrik quickly motioned for his right arm, the red-lizard scales still present for the others to see. "And I think new-magic is a lot harder to sense than something that a God himself put under."

Realising his comment, Baldrik could only give out a sigh. He was dragging them down, and he was aware of that, which made the feeling of Guilt even harder on him. But he strengthened his resolve, and pressed on: "Perhaps however, the Forest would be wiser than the Mountain Tops, as we've no idea if the supposed allies will still heed the call of princess Kouri. The Abyss, still optional, as long as we move very quickly, and rest only for a few minutes at best, and that we march very close to one another. But the Trader's Pass is still too much of a risk. If a single one of us get caught as we're traveling in the pack, the rest are put out for it as well. Many would recognize Kouri, smell our magic trickery, and lastly what if the word of us walking through the Trader's Pass is found out by the god or the angels? Then we're snapped on the spot, no way to get out, as oppose to having a day or two to clear the area if we took the Forest, the Abyss, or the Mountain Tops." With a quick glance towards the Gal with the Wolf, Baldrik gave her and the wolf a nod each. "Well, with you two, perhaps clearing the Forest would be easier, along with those who're used to it. But remember, it's countless miles of Deep Forest Growth- no sunshine, no thin air, just darkness enveloping us for a good period of the day."

Status
Not open for further replies.