The Legend of Renalta (IC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kalemn Weller and Zhong LiWei

Kalemn didn't respond at first to the foreigner's questions, eyes still caught up in keeping track of the chaos unfolding on the other side of the small lake. Ever more people continued to draw themselves into the hubbub, each person more different than the last. And while eventually Kalemn tore her attention away long enough to process the foreigner's words, it was at that moment the lake began to freeze over.

Scrambling backwards, Kalemn rushed to put some distance between her and the magic, her dropped apple bouncing once before being caught in the rising ice. When nothing more seemed to be happening - except for the King's Ranger shouting some more - Kalemn flashed the foreigner an apologetic grin and went to retrieve her sword, the tip of which was only just caught up in the lake.

"I'm just as clueless as you are, friend," she said, "probably more; you look like you're well traveled. Ever see anything like this?"

"A lake freezing on its own? I can not say I have," LiWei spoke as he watched Kalemn's movements. She had a sword- and by her responses she either doesn't care for magic or is easily startled by magic. But she wasn't startled by non-magic, such as his appearance. Or perhaps she could sense him, perhaps even saw him in his sleep and rifled through his clothes. Much conjecture, not enough clues to sniff out the truth. He decided to look back to the others. That smoke scent was bothering him. "You also look like you are not very surprised by the activities. Do you know if there are any mythologies with ice lakes? It seems the others have a good idea." He debated asking her if they should approach but decided better. Maybe it would be best for her the take the lead; she was the one with a weapon after all. Might as well make her feel like she's got the one-up.

"None at all," Kalemn answered. Then, thinking for a moment, corrected herself. "Or... I probably have. But every village has a dozen stories and myths and superstitions, each one crazier than the last." She made a vague circling gesture with her free hand. "Impossible to keep track of them all, is pretty much what I'm getting at here."

"You are probably right," he said, shifting his weight from one leg to the other as he watched the scene. "Do you smell smoke, by the way? Do you think we should move closer in case? It would be bad to get caught out by a fire if the water source is now ice."

"Now that you've mentioned it," Kalemn said while stooping down to gather her things, "I do smell smoke." Throwing on her leather pack and picking up her wooden shield, she looked around. Nothing immediately jumped out as the source for the smoke, which struck Kalemn as strange considering bright days made for the easiest time spotting smoke columns. "If there is a fire, just stand on the ice."

Kalemn eyed the King's Rangers warily as she talked, with occasional glances thrown just as warily towards the frozen lake. She had set out from the bandit camp she called home a little over a day ago with the intent to taking a few relaxing days to herself. And while there were many things she was willing to consider relaxing, every single thing in sight failed to make that list. The sensible side of her told her there was nothing stopping her from simply leaving - there were far too many people for the Rangers to realistically force them all to stay - yet the rest of her was almost screaming with curiosity. Up until now the only magic she had seen had been minor charlatans, just as likely to be using tricks as actual magic. The rapid freezing of the lake on such a warm, sunny day fascinated her. Reminded her of children's stories told to her by campfires over a decade ago.

"Let's get closer."

LiWei nodded and tipped the brim of his hat up so he could see better. This woman- was she afraid of the Rangers? She kept looking to them with a nervousness of a deer that felt the gaze of a tiger. He decided not to comment and, assuming she would appreciate the protective gesture, began to walk forward himself. He smiles to her. "I am ZhongLiWei. LiWei, or, if it is easier to think of it, giving me some leeway in my speaking." He hoped the pun would at least break the ice a bit between them. If this was magic, and LiWei had heard plenty of stories of magic bringing together a band, then he would do well snapping up friendships quick as he could.

He began to step around the lake, assuming that this strange woman wouldn't want to be any more exposed than she already was. He paused when he saw a man approach the lake- smoke from his clothes. He balled his hands into fists, took a quiet but unmistakeable gulp of breath. He was about the psych himself up to take another step closer when the ice made a noise as if something had broken through the surface- a set of stairs appearing in front of the smoking man. But they were still too far to speak, unless he wanted to shout at the crowd on the other side of the lake.

"Do you see that stairway?" He spoke to her, his voice wavering. "Let's go faster."

"I hope the armoured one throws her in the water also. It would be funny to watch." -Wanderer Rahim, Page 1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(( Collaboration post between @Tempest & @Brovo ))​

She watches as the water continues to frost and freeze until before her crouching form, the lapping waters cease and all is still. Her eyes are filled with wonder, awed to see another curiosity this world had to offer. For a moment, she wonders if it is a trick. Alexandra's fingers reach out and touches the surface. Solid... Frigid... Real. She breathes inwardly and allows her eyes to roam. Ahead, nearer the center of the pond, the shape was caving inwards and appearing as if taking the shape of a case of stairs, descending below the surface. Curiosity begins to grip the bard and she straightens up, starting towards forward.

Her soft leather boots slip and slide, so her going is slow. Yet, she is steady, determined to see the cause of this anomaly. Without her realizing, Alexandra's breath was beginning to catch in her breath. The rest of the world was gone, an oblivious abyss beyond was what before her. She had experienced many sights in her travel, yet this... This was something new. The commotion prior to the opening of the staircase seemed far too much, far too coincidental to be a merry accident to unnerve a number of passerbys. A flicker of a smile passes over her lips as she considers the adventure forward and the tales she might be able to tell. So, as she reaches the steps, she takes a deep breath and takes the first, careful of how she went.

As Kouri slowly ascends the steps after Kasienka, she stops five steps away from the surface, noticing someone was starting on her way down. The princess brings up her hands to clear away her hair, squinting as the light from the surface was finally bathing her from her shoulders. Her face was soft, and as she slowly ends her squint, her eyes seemed gentler still. There was not an ounce of aggression or fear in her, in spite of potentially stepping out into perhaps a thousand different terrible fates. Smiling, she bows her head a little in greeting to the woman standing over her. Alex would be able to notice the woman's hands glowing with a light blue hue, as Kouri was maintaining the staircase and keeping it from being too slippery, or melting too quickly. "Greetings. I do not know you, and I'm not sure if you can recognize me, so let me introduce myself... I am Princess Kouri, of Renalta. I know it has been a long time, and you may not believe me. I would understand... Who are you?"

Alex' brows raise, taken aback by this turn of events. It explained the raving lunatic beyond the edge of the pond, going on about 1000 years of waiting, and yet, one would be quick to put their faith in a false miracle when they were waiting so long, right? Alex brushes back her bangs and realizes the temperature, thanks to the ice, had her breath misting. It was potent magic and this maiden's appearance fit well enough with the legends, some of which Alexandra herself sang of. She starts to chuckle and shakes her head, "Ah, Alexandra Somer, at your service, missus." She offers a soft, white smile, "Course, entrance like this... Only thing it's missing is you offering me some fabled sword and declaring me king." She waves her hand dismissively, "Given my... Lack of defining features, though, that's preposterous." She eyes the trio accompanying the princess up the staircase as she continues, "For the moment, it doesn't matter whether I believe you or not. How about we just get you over to the edge of the water, where we don't have to worry about an unexpected dip in the drink if your reserves start failing." She descends another step and offers her hand helpfully to the supposed princess.

Without a moment's hesitation, the princess gladly accepts the bard's hand. "Thank you." Kouri's tone was as gentle as her touch as she takes her last few steps out of the pond and onto the ice, and looks back down into the hole, raising her eyebrows in pity and confusion as Mikan was quietly and carefully clinging to each step on her way out. "Is there something wrong?" Mikan shakes her head rapidly as she crawls out onto the pond's frozen surface. "This is just... A lot of magic!" Noticing Marcus, she then immediately heads to the opposite end of the pond. Kouri glances around at everyone, and smiles a little. "Alexandra... The first King of Renalta was a peasant. Your status of birth matters little to your nobility."

The bard looks at Kouri, getting the feeling she missed just what the bard had meant. However, clarifying in a cruder manner that she was missing an extra appendage and low-hanging fruit just seemed uncouth given the company. After all, there was a pretty lady elf, a young girl and a 'princess' before her. "So he was, missus," she mutters instead. Her gaze follows the dark-haired girl, trying to decipher her accent. It had been a time since she had traveled the lands of Rheinfeld, but the accent was unmistakable. This whole experience must be world-shattering for one such as her. "Young maiden, please, accompany us. We will find somewhere safe and well within the constraints of normalcy for us to rest a spell." She gestures Mikan closer, "Perhaps we might even allow for proper introductions and come to learn why we all have traveled to these parts."

Mikan looks Alex up and down with some level of piqued interest and genuine curiosity. She ceases slinking away and instead approaches Alex with a surprising pace, given that they were still on ice. "Weelllll, getting to know you a little better? I would like that." Kouri glances between them with a little confusion, which only prompts a giggle from Mikan. "Oh, nothing." Mikan then looks across the pond again at Marcus. "So long as we are away from the big scary red guy over there, I'm sure I will be happy."

Inwardly, she curses that her retinue of beautiful women was being broken apart. She nods slowly, "Yes, yes. Well, I am willing to answer whatever your questions, as best I can." She gives a sympathetic smile to Mikan, "You give yourself far too little credit, but I understand, fair Mikan. I understand your concerns. Who in their right mind trusts a passing stranger in the world. I assure you, though, my intentions are pure. I simply wish to understand what is happening here... And assist you all off this ice, lest we continue to strain our lady princess, here."

Though she nodded with appreciation, Kouri seemed to have a bit of a somber hint in the way her eyes seemed to avert any direct gazes. She was trying to hide something, though not her confusion and curiosity, which were on full display as her tone smoothly showed none of her underlying emotions. "I understand it to be a thousand years since I last walked this land, but I wish to know: Where did you grow up? Was it in this... Rheinfeld, that Dean mentioned to me?"

Her arms cross over her chest, setting her lute banging against her bag in a clatter of noise. The way the princess presented herself was strange, to say the least. "No, I do not. While I follow my muse and feel I can't claim any particular land as my own, I was born within the Kingdom of Liveria. It borders the Renaltan Remnants, to the west." She shrugs, "It has its traditions and keeps to itself, but when compared to what has become Rheinfeld, it is a far preferable place." She looks to Mikan, brow raised, "Wouldn't you agree?"

"I have never heard of that kingdom either." Kouri remarks, frowning a little. Mikan glances at Alex and shrugs, though a playful smile could be clearly seen across her lips as she tapped her foot on the ice. Kouri had stopped moving, and it seemed like her attention was slowly being drawn elsewhere, so Mikan spoke quickly. "I haven't heard much about Liveria, beyond what the nobles say of it in passing. Everyone knows it to be a dark country full of people who never smile. Their mouths are full of daggers, which they use to murder each other with assassins. The nobles from my country try not to do business with them... Something about a lack of honour, I think. I dunno, I just don't follow that sorta thing, really." She looks at Alex's lute, her eyes lighting up with glee. "You play music?! I love music!"

Meanwhile, as Mikan looked awestruck over the lute, Kouri's attention had been drawn away to a tiefling, who was waving them over. He seemed rather overjoyed at the sight of Kouri in particular, far less so at the sight of Mikan with her. "Princess! I am a King's Ranger, I can answer whatever questions you may have!" Kouri hesitates, and looks back to Alexandra. "If you would like, you could come with me... You seem the type to tell stories. Whether you believe me to be truth or fiction, surely, it would be a good story either way, would it not?" The princess smiles a little, seeming to desire the friendly company.

Alex was distracted for a moment and anyone who was paying attention could see her running her tongue along her teeth, curious and feeling for daggers. She is drawn back by Mikan's exclamation about her chosen instrument, though and smiles, nodding as the tiefling tries to flag down Kouri, "I do indeed. Come, I'll play a song shortly, if you'd like." Her eyes light up as Kouri talks of stories, "Milady, I do indeed love stories. You could say my old man nourished me on the old Renaltan tales, passed down the generations. Of course, yours is a cautionary one to many..." She crooks her head in a nonchalant and dismissive gesture, "But, I have never been one to heed the warnings of others, life is far more adventurous when you experience things yourself, afterall. So, let us meet your Ranger and see what he has to say." She adjusts her gloves before checking the handaxe at her hip, "Well, and assure he does not lay a rough hand upon either of you. From what I have seen, your Ranger is a touch of a brute, getting into stand-offs with everyone in this peaceful place. Positively rude, if you ask me."

"Hmph." Kouri notes, as she sees Marcus' tense posture. "If he is truly a King's Ranger, he will obey my every command... Including not to lay a finger on either of you." Mikan and Alex can feel a momentary chill, as a small blue wisp of light races across both of them from Kouri's hand. "Besides, I'm not damsel... I have my own ways. I will not let you come to harm, if you should travel with me... Not if I can help it." Mikan shudders and looks at Kouri's hand, then up her arm, to her eyes for a moment. It was only for a moment, as Kouri then immediately looked away to avoid direct eye contact. Mikan frowns, then smirks. "Ein Eis-Königin braucht Abtauen. (An Ice Queen needs defrosting.)" The princess shoots Mikan a glance back for a moment, then shakes her head and motions for the three of them to start walking toward Marcus. "Ich verstehe, was das bedeutet. Ihre Zunge ist nicht über mich, aber mach mich nicht so einfach, wie mit einfachen Flirt erobert werden denken. (I understand what that means. Your tongue is not beyond me, but do not think me so simple as to be conquered by simple flirtation.)" Though her accent was a little strange, and the pronunciation of certain words was archaic, the message got across clear enough to Mikan, who giggled furiously. "Don't worry, you're not really my type... I just like flirting."

"Ice Queen, indeed. Yet, one cannot fault her, given her tale." She looks to Mikan, a glimmer of mischief in her eyes as she whispers to her, "Doch das macht es eine Herausforderung zu sein, die warme Berührung , eine solche eisige Herz schmelzen. (Yet, that just makes it a challenge to be the warm touch to melt such an icy heart.)" Her gaze follows Kouri with obvious interest. She could not recall ever winning the heart of a powerful witch, leave alone a princess or living legend.

Kouri rolls her eyes and shakes her head as she starts walking across the icy pond towards Marcus. "I hope those whispers aren't what I think they are..." She mutters to herself under her breath. Mikan tags along, though her eyes were now wandering among the many around the pond, with interest and curiosity. She was shocked to say the least by some of them, and before Alex or Kouri could notice, Mikan had already slipped away to go meet others, rather than confront Marcus.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some few steps later, Kouri looks around at those nearby Marcus. There was a man with a strange looking device in his hands: A stick with a hole on the end of it? What a strange contraption. "Mechanists?..." She mutters under her breath, as she nods politely. She then looks at Marcus, and seems entirely unphased that he is a tiefling. Marcus kneels before her, bowing his head in a ceremonial fashion. "We serve through darkness and light at the beck and call of her highness, until the breath leaves our lungs, and the kingdom is restored." Kouri frowns a little as she notices him continue to kneel before her. "You may rise, there is no need to bow before me. I do not seek blind servitude... I remember when that phrase was about security, and not restoration. Still, you have proven your identity sufficiently to me." As Marcus raises from his kneel, he quizzically raises an eyebrow. "Do you simply trust me because I knew a phrase?" The princess shakes her head, and replies softly. "No. I trust you to be the genuine article because it is clear that if you are lying to me, I am doomed no matter the course of action. Therefore, there is no option but trust."

Marcus sheathes his blade, and glances around at the rest of the clearing. Others were quite clearly approaching them, and this caused him to have quite the irritable look. "This is not a safe place to speak of future plots." Kouri shrugs and continues to speak softly. "There is no safe place when Gods themselves seek my end. What is the next step, King's Ranger?... I didn't catch your name." Marcus starts to bow his head, but a disapproving look from Kouri stopped that action in its tracks, causing him some measure of confusion instead. "Marcus, ma'am. The next step is to take you to our hideout and prove your authenticity." The princess's eyes open a little wider with surprise. "Does all of this not convince you, King's Ranger?" She motions to the frozen pond, and her hands, which were wreathed in a cold energy. Still, a bit of remaining strain can be seen in the way she stands, her shoulders tensed, her breathing a little deeper than normal, all in spite of Kasienka's aid. "It is not relevant whether it impresses upon me, my lady. Many fakes have appeared over the years proclaiming to be you... It is simple necessity, lest the Gods root out the remainder of us, and destroy us." Kouri seems to pause, and then nods in approval. Perhaps she understood the necessity, but the very idea of it seemed to upset her on some level.

Marcus looks around and sees further approaching figures, and sighs as he speaks louder. At this point, it was impossible to keep his plan a secret, so he may as well inform as many as he could at once. "Myself and Jaro here," he points at a figure clad head to toe in plate mail, who seemed somewhat unnatural in the way he held himself. "We are King's Rangers. We have been tasked for a thousand years to protect this pond, where it was rumoured that the princess was kept in hiding by powerful magics. We kept this a secret to prevent her potential resting place from being unveiled to the world... I'm sure all of you have heard the tale of the fall of Renalta, and know why." The princess shuffles about uncomfortably, rubbing her left forearm as she seems to try and keep painful memories out of her mind. Still, a fire seemed reflected in her eyes: One of intense pain, and some anger. Marcus notices out of the corner of his eyes, and attempts a reassuring grin: His sharp teeth did not really look very pleasant at all, but the princess manages a small, appreciative smile nonetheless for his effort. "However, we did not survive a thousand years by being fools! We are going to take the princess with us to test her." He turns to face her directly, keeping his tone nice and loud, so others in the distance could hear him if they wished. "We have devised a test to verify who you are. We have a vial of your blood, from centuries ago, preserved from the ruins of the royal archives. All fakes who have attempted the test have failed it, and were subsequently executed to prevent security compromises." He appeared momentarily regretful, then continued speaking. "If you wish, you may renounce your claim and walk away instead. We will not pursue you if you should choose that course of action."

The blue hue of energy around the princess' hands swirls with a nervous twitch, yet the princess did not seem to show any fear. Instead, she simply spoke with an equally loud tone, a surprisingly commanding one given her earlier, soft nature. "I fear no test that shall merely verify who I am." She looks around at everyone, and manages a small smile. "All who wish to accompany me to see for themselves, may do so. Know, however, that after the test is completed, I plan on rallying my King's Rangers to begin a campaign against the Gods who destroyed my lands. Whether you wish to continue thereafter or not is of your own accord, but it would most certainly be a dangerous gambit for you. I would understand if you simply went your own ways after my test is completed." Marcus remains silent, but a grim look was on his face. There was something he wasn't saying, and unlike Kouri, he was not good at hiding what was on his mind. "If, however, any of you choose to follow me, and aid me on my quest..." Kouri puts her hands over her chest, bowing her head respectfully to everyone else in the area. "... I would be honoured."

Marcus nods, resisting the urge to bow his head as well, and instead addresses the princess directly, with a quieter tone of voice. "We must leave soon. So many are here, that is not coincidence. You may have sent off a signal that could be felt for untold distances... Enemies could be moving here swiftly, even as we speak." Kouri nods in agreement with Marcus, and then turns to face Baldrik. "You seem to desire my attention... Please speak. Introduce yourself." Her soft look had returned, hiding many things underneath, but now efficiently enough that few could ever see through it.

Meanwhile, behind them, Mikan had been listening the whole time. She giggles as she slips and slides her way toward Dean on the icy pond, then nudges his shoulder. "Hey-hey! I just wanted to say thanks for not attacking me down there. I'd have understood if you did, I mean, I held a blade toward you... I just ain't used to friendly folk not trying to kill me, you know?"

Baldrik Larsson

The Woman of the Lake Speaks.
Baldrik Larsson couldn't understand what was going on. There she was, his Ice Queen, the same girl that his ancestors had served centuries ago... Looking like an untouched flower with grace. Her voice almost put him into a trance as he took in as much information as he could regarding her. His entire life had been spent to prepare for this moment, and yet even now he felt unprepared- he felt scared even. What if he slurred on a word or two? Or what if he failed to mention something correctly? He felt his nervousness pierce through his skin and flesh, and irradiate to those around him. This was the greatest honor one could have in mortal life, and he could not dare to screw this up. Too much time had been dedicated for this, and yet... Once she directly spoke to him- addressing his presensce, at the very least- Baldrik's heart stood still for a second. She spoke to him, this Goddess of his, to a mortal like him that might just very well not make a single difference. He looked up to her, his face a bit pale, but as he saw her soft look, he felt his blood return to his face. He nodded once to her, and reached over for the side of his leather belt, taking out and laying down what appears to be a cavalry sword, laying it down infront of him and Kouri. And then he began to talk- making sure to look down at her feet to show proper respect.

"Y-you uh..." He took a moment to clear his voice, and then proceeded "My name's Baldrik Larsson, son to Helga Larsson and Reknor Larsson. The Sword that I and my treeline has carried for generations lies before you, from the time in which our ancestors served you, until the present day. To us it symbolizes the vow that was laid down to us from our Ancestors, and how we would serve the rightful heir to the lands of Renalta. By presenting it to you, I wish to serve you in honor of my ancestors and those who came before me, and to ensure that the kingdom of Renalta rises up once more from it's ashes. If you choose to accept me, I promise loyalty to you and whoever it is that you call an ally. That is, as long as you'll accept my aid, your highness."
He eased down his breathing after finishing his lengthy speech. Hope I didn't sound like a maniac believer to her... even though it feels like my heart's racing. Hell, she's almost like a goddess on her own. No wonder that pathetic Archangel couldn't have her- she stands on her own. Baldrik shifted his clothes a bit to try and accomodate the fresh sweat beads that were summoned across his body, his reptillian side not showing a single hint of it however, as if it was just an ordinary piece of clothing. After having his declaration made, he tried to take a look up at Kouri's face, but quickly lowered it back down once more as he didn't dare to look at her for an extended period of time. He wouldn't dare to try to insult her. Baldrik only pleaded in his mind that she would accept his aid, so that his ancestors and the people of Renalta, would be served once more along side the rightful heir to the Kingdom.

Samuel Mourn de Vandestryker en Karnarvon the 4th.
Flirting with magical women who arise from ponds is a gift.
Collab with Brovo (Kouri)

Samel watched as the pond froze over and then a beautiful if oddly blue-haired, woman ascended from a lake with several others. Though he was caught for a moment he paid attention to the situation. A lady of noble birth, allegedly the Princess Kouri of Renalta, as true a blueblood as her hair.

In short, his kind of people. But then he was distracted. "Waral you stupid beast don't do..."

He was too late and the Triceratops tried to drink from the frozen pond and, predictably, got it's tongue stuck.

Samuel's shoulders slumped in resignation and headed over to the princess. "Greetings Milady Kouri, I am Samuel Mourn de Vandestryker en Karnarvon the 4th, of the Kingdom of Dreams, and while I would have preferred to make the acquaintance of such an unerringly beautiful woman in more appropriate circumstances, such as a grand ball, I must instead beg you for your help. My mount is terrifically stupid and appears to have gotten it's tongue stuck on your pond." He bowed deeply.

As Samuel made his request, Kouri found her attention divided between two different people. She nods to Samuel momentarily, waving her hand toward the pond. He could feel, and see, a small blue trail of cold energy pass him by and enter the pond. Some few seconds later, the ice recoils from the lizard's tongue, freeing it. It was a simple trick. She then turns back to Baldrick, who was still waiting for her reply. "I would be honoured to have your service." She looks down upon the family blade, and manages a small, if somewhat pained smile. "Your family's loyalty is astonishing. I will make sure it is not given in vain... Be ready to move out shortly. We are going to a King's Ranger outpost, I believe." Marcus nods, confirming her statement. Kouri's tone turns soft as she momentarily grasps Baldrick's shoulder. "It's a brave journey you must have faced to find me. I thank you, and whatever web of fate that allowed your happenstance discovery of where I rested."

As she takes her hand back, she turns to face Samuel, now finally able to address him. "A noble's name. I would recognize such formality even though a thousand years have passed. Some things don't change."

"Indeed not milady, nobility rarely changes and indeed often seems frightened even of the thought such an apocalypse could happen..." He smiled at her with his most winning smile. "I admit to being somewhat out of sorts, normally I would make some sort of flirtatious remark about how I would find a beautiful woman in a situation such as this, but instead I'll have to settle for 'how can I help you?" He shrugged.

The princess' act was on full display, something that Samuel would be fully familiar with in the circles of nobility. The neutrally pleasant look, the formal stance. All except her blue eyes, which seemed to retain a feminine gentleness in the way they looked him over.

Whether they were genuine or as false as the rest of it, however, there was no way to discern. "That would be... Sensible." Her tone retained a hint of softness, but she kept a tight control over it. Her inflection was one of simple negotiation, though she was not entirely cold toward his advance, she seemed rather hesitant to reply to it. "As I said earlier. I am going with the King's Rangers here to prove my identity. Then, I am going on a campaign against the Gods... I know how to get rid of them. I was told at least that much before being sealed away in time. If you wish to aid me in this task, I would welcome the company, though it is dangerous."

Samuel smiled diplomatically. "I can't say that the gods have done all that much for me, and the infinitely regrettable fate of your kingdom, and what most believed to be a fate you shared, inspires little confidence. As for danger. I am a Grand Summoner, Waral there." The Triceratops looked sullenly at the pond as if in counterpoint, "Is but one of the creatures bound to me after a mishap in some swamps...." He scratched behind his ear as if at an embarrassing memory. If you would care to avoid walking, Waral has plenty of room for two." He offered with a wry grin.

Kouri shakes her head, though she wills a little of the ice in the pond near the large lizard to melt. It would still be frigidly cold, but the poor thing could at least drink from it. Nonetheless, all the casual use of magic was seeming slowly wear on her, in spite of her attempts to hide it. "I will be fine walking for now. Marcus arrived here in plate mail, and I see no mount nearby. It therefore cannot be too far from where we are." Marcus seemed to have an amused smile on his face as he turned away and started casually counting how many were there. Kouri looked a little uncertain as a result. "... Well, that's not reassuring. Still. Others will have to walk, I would rather walk with them."

Samuel laughed as Waral began drinking the reptile shuddering at the cold. He studied Kouri seeing stiff resolution in her eyes. "Well, my offer stands." He nodded. "But pray... well forget the pray part, but ... how does one kill the gods?" He asked with curiosity in his voice.

"One doesn't." Kouri replies simply. It seemed she wasn't ready to share the details of her plans. "If you stay with me, you may learn how to defeat them."

"Any man high born or low who turned down an offer to stay with you is inconsolably lost to the world as a thinking creature." Samuel said almost as if the idea anyone could refuse Kouri even existed. "I'd challenge such a base animal to a duel... but I can't fight and I think using summoning in a duel would be cheating..."

For the first time since their conversation began, a quiet but discernable giggle could be heard from Kouri. "I suppose it would, but it might even the odds."

Samuel laughed. "Indeed, it probably would. In any case. My services are yours for as long as you want them."

"Then I shall try not to fail you, and everyone else who chooses to follow me." Kouri replies, a little softer than her political guise would otherwise show.

"How could we possibly fail, the Legendary Princess Kouri, the Grand Summoner Karnarvon, and company. Let the gods quake in their boots... do they wear boots or are they more sandal-wearing folk?" He wondered aloud to himself a tone of jocularity in his voice.

Dean and Mikan
(A Collaboration with Brovo)​

For the rest of the conversation Dean remained mostly silent. He'd of course heard the rumors, and the woman held at least a passing resemblance to the Princess of legend but he could count a few times people had told whatever lie they felt could get them ahead in life. Also clear was the woman's skill with magic, after having finished their current conversation she had been able to conjure up a staircase to the top of the pond. However he still wasn't entirely convinced. Plenty of people could produce magic. Ice magic wasn't particularly rare.

In any event, the way out was cleared and Dean felt comfortable enough the woman didn't mean them any harm, and he trusted the stairs to lead to the top of the pond. He followed up along shortly after the others once the interaction with the woman who had crept down the stairs ended, and they had all reached the top he skated carefully across the pond to return to his ditched equipment. Little to his surprise his emergence had been greeted with less enthusiasm than those of the Princess or even the other women. Not that he much minded that. He slowly walked to the tall grass at the edge of the pond where he'd left his things and began once more to dress himself.

It wasn't until he was fumbling with various buckles and straps that the woman -Mikan made her approach. She certainly no longer seemed very cautious of him, skating over the way she had and nudging him in his shoulder. He regarded her as warmly as he felt appropriate. The way she thanked him forced a grin onto his face. He shrugged openly as he finished tightening his plain looking armor. "I'm sure being tossed into a lake could convince me to hold a blade to someone I've never met as well. You seemed more frightened than blood thirsty afterall."

"Yeah, well..." Mikan shuffles her feet on the ice, curiously tapping at it with her heels. "Thanks anyway." She mutters quietly, before looking him over, head to toe. "So... Do you get all heroic for any damsel, or just me?"

Dean would appear to mull the question over for a couple of seconds before answering. "Generally I hunt monsters actually..." he nodded towards the giant who had began all this. "And while he certainly fits the build of one, I usually follow the lead of my teacher." Looking her over in turn Dean takes a small bow towards Mikan. "That said, you're the first damsel I've personally chosen to be heroic for."

"Ooh, little ole me, huh?" Mikan giggles and clasps her hands together, stretching out much like a cat. There was something intentional and suggestive about the way she tried to catch his gaze. "You know, damsels usually try to repay their rescuers in some way. I wonder how I could repay you."

"Ryker keeps telling me I had to start somewhere. You looked light enough for me to handle, and I figured it'd be quick work!" He tried to explain his thought process as quickly as he could. Trying not to let his eyes rest for too long on her figure. At the mention of repayment his eyes shot to hers, but a puzzled look started to form that would have been immediately apparent to Mikan. "That may be true... but I really didn't do anything? I'm not sure you even needed saving!"

"I... Well." Mikan sighs and chips at the ice with the heel of her foot. "Wasn't quite what I meant, but, thank you anyway." She looks him eye to eye, her green eyes twinkling with playfulness. "I'm sure you'll save me again at some point, and I will find something you'll want."

Dean felt a somewhat uncomfortable silence fall between the two as he idly fiddled his sword holster across his back. He racked his brain for a moment trying to figure out what she had meant, but decided not to worry himself too much over it. "Again? I've never mentioned where I was going... How can you be sure we're going the same direction or that we'll see each other again?

"Because I'm following the princess, and I bet you will too... Unless you would leave me without help." She pouts, putting on a mask of exaggerated sadness as she places her hands on her hips and bends over a little, once again trying to draw his eyes. She was rather determined: He was rather attractive.

Dean's eyes follow Mikan's hands to her hips, and then back up to her eyes. He wasn't sure, but it almost seemed this woman was willing to hire him for his service. When next he saw Ryker it might be nice to be able to say he had earned and completed his first contract. "Ryker says a free man follows no one, but if you feel you need my help I think we can negotiate a working rate that won't leave you penniless." Bodyguards and Mercenaries usually got a decent pay per job, and really how difficult could protecting one petite thing be.

"Oh! Now we're talking... I will be sure to accrue quite a debt with you to repay." A teasing tone and giggle left her lips as she flicked his nose playfully. Still, the lack of a definite reply was starting to disappoint her. "I'm going to go meet some other folks now, though. We can talk about payment later, okay?"

He found himself flinch uncharacteristically as she flicked his nose. An urge to playfully hit her in the shoulder was repressed by his budding professionalism "Well I'm at your service then! I might make some rounds of my own now. If the situation gets hairy I've got your back..... Mistress?" He ended somewhat questioningly, unsure how to address her as he was now in her employ. He reached down to her hand, and gave it a firm shake to seal the deal. Prepared to catch her if she lost her tenuous balance on the ice.

She smiles slyly and raises her eyebrows in surprise. "Usually I prefer to be addressing a man in charge... My name is Mikan, I thought I told you that. Call me whatever you like, though." She winks as she accepts his handshake and takes the excuse to pull herself close to him. Only momentarily however, as she pushes herself away and slides on the ice a few feet away, looking for her next target.

As she pulled herself closer, Dean had a moment of panic. She was very close for only for only a second, but he could feel her brush against him. He felt his legs weaken slightly, and indeed a warmth spreading throughout himself. All he could do was smile idly as she slid off away from him. He shook his head slightly and looked around at the group amassing there, unsure who -if anyone- he might speak to next.

A Collaboration with Kasienka and Mikan

Upon assuring that the Princess was in good, non-violent hands, Kasienka made her way over to the louder, other woman to go about retrieving her shirt. She waited at a polite distance until Mikan had finished… securing the services? of the young man she had met, but had yet to actually speak to. Dean, she believed.

She approached the shorter woman with a small smile, folded her arms across her chest, then slightly tilted her head to the side. "While the color does compliment you, I would like my tunic back, Mikan. You can't argue that it compliments your form." It was baggy, long, and all around too big for the beguiling lady.

"Ooh, you want to take my shirt off? How forward of you." Mikan giggles as she coyly tilts herself a little backward.

"It's not your shirt, it is mine, and you have one underneath it. I would like my property, which you borrowed, returned so that I may don my armor and ready for the Princess's journey." Her face was devoid of emotion as she slowly spoke these words, wanting to keep Mikan from thinking anything more lewd than she already was.

"Ahh, but you gave it to me, and there are no lawmen here." Mikan replies with an amused smirk. "So what are you going to do to get it back?"

Kasienka hadn't foreseen this, and now she was purely annoyed. Her face twisted into a scowl and she slowly approached Mikan, her hands moving from across her chest to her hips. "Young lady I have lived ten times as many years as you, and then twice that, and then twice that again. I would recommend that you do not vex me so over a simple piece of clothing I require for my modesty and comfort."

"O-oh." Mikan takes a half step back, her shoulders tensing and knees bending a little. "Gefährlich... es tut mir leid. (Dangerous... I am sorry.)" Her tone had lost its playful edge, instead being placating as she takes off the tunic and throws it back to Kasienka, keeping a small distance.

Kasienka hadn't meant to scare the girl this much, just to get her in line… She sighed softly as her face and posture softened. Tilting her head again, and holding the tunic she had caught, she tried to reassure Mikan. "I do not mean to hurt or scare you, dear. All I wanted was your understanding and respect. I am very, very sorry if I scared you." She pulled on her tunic then went to grab her armor and pack.

Before she even put her armor on she had fished out a Kouri doll and three of the outfits she had sewn for the toy. "Might I give this to you as a sign of good faith? I do not mean to ever hurt you or scare you. You helped save this Princess as much as I did, if not more. I thank you and apologize for my actions."

Her eyes light up with childlike delight at the sight of the plushie. She dashes over with a hop and reaches her hands out for it. "Yes! I love these plushies! I remember growing up with one, sharing it with the other kids..."

Mikan's pure exuberance made Kasienka laugh with almost equal happiness. She delicately placed the doll in Mikan's outstretched hands, as well the three other outfits she had stitched. "Here you are then. You don't have to share this one, dear. If it rips I'll be right here to patch it up." Normally she would offer to put a trick or two in the doll to make it more personal to the child, but she knew better than to scare the woman again.

Mikan grabs it and looks it over, a smile on her lips. "I will pay you back later for this, I'm sure." She hugs it tightly, and then looks up at Kasienka, beaming happily from ear to ear. "I'm gonna go meet some of the others now! Though if you ever feel like sharing your clothes again, you let me know." She winks and giggles, then takes a few steps back, lingering momentarily to see her response.

Kasienka waved away the thought of a debt over a doll, still smiling. "Go on then, I am simply happy to have my tunic back." She was getting ready to turn to put her armor on until she heard Mikan flirt with her again. Being in a good enough mood she simply giggled and waved it away again, walking towards the shade to give herself an air of privacy as she pulled on her armor and slung her pack, quiver, and bow back over her shoulders. Now she moved to rejoin the growing party, wanting to keep an eye on Kouri.

Doesn't exist
Do you here me, is gone, shE is Gone. You are for
saken
ember of a toy
((Collaborative post between myself and [COLOR=#3366ff]@Brovo[/COLOR]))​
The Smoke smell dissapeared. It didn't linger and then fade away, it simply no longer existed in an intant and Sisera was left on the ground staring at shades of blue. His lips were quivering and his eyes watered as he shakily picked up his stick and wool cap and rose, using both hands to balance himself while his knees buckled with each step towards.. her. His mind shattering a thousand times, telling him different thoughts, actions, words, all conflicting and most of it jumbled nonsense that had to be deciphered and many of those words were not kind ones. Despite all of that he continued his shaky walk towards Kouri.

Her back was turned towards him, but even when she would turn around he couldn't bear the thought of looking her in the eye; at her cheek or forehead or the outline of her face, but not her eyes. It would bring back to many good memories. He needed to be composed, and never falter, like his Father told him.

"It's good to see you again" He murmured

"Your highness"

Kouri slowly turns, a little confusion in her eyes as she tilts her head. "... Your voice is familiar, but not your appearance. Who are you?"

Sisera shuffles his feet awkwardly as his locks his knees and straightens his posture. He would not introduce himself to the Royal family in such an awful way in court and he certainly wouldn't do it here, where it mattered most.

He slowly takes off his wool cap, showing his bald frame where it once had thick black hair. He looks at Kouri with an expressionless face as he focuses on her nose. Not in the eyes, it would all fall apart then.

"I am Sisera, your highness" He said slowly, hoping she would remember him with a small part of his mind begging that she wouldn't.

"Sisera..." She whispers quietly, looking at his face. The way he turned away seemed to disturb her a little. "I.." She pauses, and then manages a soft smile, marred by a confused expression. "I don't know how you survived this long, but... Your face, your hair... I dare not ask here what happened." She hesitates a moment, the reaches out and grasps his shoulder. "I know only that I couldn't have asked for a better teacher of magic, and that your survival warms my heart... Assuming this is all not some strange dream."

He stared at her hand for a moment, something inside him began to scream and shrill. He seemed lost, in a faze as if hypnotized by something that had complete control over him. He was afraid to touch her hand; maybe it was all a dream and her body would shattered into a million glass fragments.

"I don't think... its a dream" He finally said. "And don't worry about what happened to me, that doesn't matter. Whats important is that you stay safe.. a plan, you need a plan."

He shifts his head over to Marcus, his brow raised when he looked at him. He was still surprised that their existence hadn't been wiped out by Typhon, he knew how effective the Angel was at that.

"And it looks like he might be cunning enough to think of one." he said dryly to Kouri.

Marcus raises an eyebrow. "We already have a short term plan. Long term would be unreasonable until we know the princess can prove her legitimacy with our test."

"Legit-" Sisera mumbled exasperated, despite his age Sisera rarely acted like an angry old man, though this was one of those rare moments when his blood became slightly heated.

"She just came out of a damn pond! What more does she have to prove! I saw the troops escort her out of the castle! She isn't some common riffraff!"

Despite his more distant approach to Kouri directly, here he inadvertently shown his loyalty. His eyes had that fire behind them that felt out of place in those dull brown pupils of his.

Marcus raises an eyebrow and pats the handle of the blade at his waist. He wasn't overtly threatening, but it was clear from his posture that he didn't know what to think of this strange, scarred man before him. He clears his throat. "There was once a pretender a couple hundred years ago who marched with an entire mercenary troupe, pretending to be Renaltan guards. They managed to convince an entire village to give them their hard earned savings, supplies, and so on, for a war effort against the Gods. The villagers believed their salvation blindly. By next winter, they all starved to death, the few survivors being those who did not believe and who hid their food. Figure out the moral of this story, and you will realize why we must always verify, even if we believe." From his tone, Sisera could detect no malice. It seemed Marcus was trying to teach him something

Sisera became eyes darted towards Marcus's sword handle and out of instinct immediately felt his own beneath his robe before he could relax. Touching his sword was his own little tick, it made him feel safer and more attached to the world around him so he wouldn't be too out of touch with reality. He listened to the Ranger's story and slowly nodded in agreement. He had not heard of these impostors and it made sense for a test to be administered to prevent such abuses of the royal name. Even though it irked him that this was a slight against Kouri's dignity, he would have to live with it. And she would too, probably better than he would anyway so why make a fuss.

His body posture returned to its normal state and the flame in his eyes died quickly. It dawned on him for the first time that there were quite a group of people gathered here, all apparently willing to follow the Princess. How could there be such loyalty in a kingdom that had died a thousand years ago, or did they simply want an adventure like the ones he used to tell Kouri?

"I see your point" Sisera stated, it was hard to tell what he was thinking behind those eyes. They always seemed grayed over, like a man who had taken to drinking and drugs.

"Is your hideout safe from prying eyes?" He asked Marcus, "The Gods are not an easy group to evade".

"As safe as can be." Marcus replies bluntly. "I am no mage. Our mages know where to set outposts out of prying eyes. I trust their abilities." Kouri smiles at that, as a little bit of ice runs down the length of her right arm to her fingertips. "We will find a way regardless."

Sisera nodded, he was satisfied with the Tiefling, at least as satisfied as the situated allowed him. It seemed there really was no choice but to trust him and hoped this would all unravel for a clearer purpose. He turned to Kouri, a wisp of smoke flickering from his scalp right before putting his cap back on.

"Do you trust this man, Kouri? As per my family oath I will obey your commands and fight til death for you no matter what." It felt strange saying those words, mainly because part of it was a lie: though his Family was bound by oath, that is not what held him firm, it was a simple basic emotion that stemmed from when he first looked upon her in the crib.

He would dare not look her in the eye.

Kouri looks thoughtfully toward the sky. "Whether or not I do is irrelevant. I am in a new world and I know nothing. Marcus claims to be a King's Ranger, I claim to be a princess. One of us has to trust the other first, or nothing will get done."

"Indeed" Sisera said while he looked at Kouri. It had been so long since he had seen her that her image became like that of a melted painting in his head; the hair, the face all seemed to blur and blend together into something that looked like her her but with the feeling that it something wasn't quite right. He tried to remember the last time he saw her, most likely briefly being escorted away at a distance while he screamed orders. What about before that? A happy memory perhaps?

He made a frown straining himself trying to think of something happy when his caretaker duties ended. A smile at court? What about a Joke...? An invitation to dine with his Father? A Compliment? Oh!? What about a magic demonstration! Certainly he wanted to see how she was improving right? To glow with pride when she did something extraordinary! He must have asked her that in court! He must have! His own father has borderline obsessive with watching Sisera's fire magic. So Surely Sisera must have... he must have asked her... something... said something. What did he say during court-

Hello your highness, I have duties, its good to see you again

For a moment his mind became one and fixated on that one sentence he had said to Kouri for years during his time at court. And it repeated over and over again until it became a weight he could hardly bear and everything broke apart again and was fogged over by a self censored brain that cut out what it deemed too painful. Though in this case It was too little too late, the damage had already been done.

He looked up in the sky with Kouri, though more so that he didn't have to look at her while all this burned in his head. The truth was it wasn't Typhon's punishment that made it difficult to talk to Kouri, Sisera had done that to himself years ago by putting up that wall. He could... pull it down... just a little bit.

"It's... good to see you again, Princess" He said it quietly but there was a silent passion behind those words; a deep sense of longing for something thought lost.

"I missed you"

Kouri looked away from the sky and toward Sisera, a small, reassuring smile graces her expression. She has no words of comfort, however, as they seem to escape her, and she instead focuses on the task at hand, as she turns to see if anyone else was joining her.

Tahlia Wether and Wanderer Rahim
Collab between @Holmishire and @Limeypanda.

Tahlia watched the so-called princess and her new-found companions warily. At a fundamental level, she yearned for adventure—yearned to do something with her life, beyond merely fleeing oppression. And for such a cause, what better leader could there possibly be? That, of course, being under the assumption that she could trust this woman.

Or the rather violent tiefling who seemed to be guarding her.

"What think you of her?" she asked of Faolan, turning back to—nothing?

While she had been focusing on the brilliant display of myth and magic unfolding, Faolan had distracted himself with matters more quaint. With the earlier tensions dropping, he had taken a moment to survey the various figures surrounding the lake. Quickly drawing his attention was a large, dark-skinned man. As the object of the near-giant's attention walked away in apparent contempt of the man's offering, the dire wolf decided to try his own luck. Quietly approaching him from behind, Faolan attempted a submissively low stance, before licking the hand with the previously proferred fish.

Rahim was not sure what to think of the blatant way that the bard had ignored his offer. Was he supposed to be offended at this? Had he offended her? It was as if she had simply ignored his existence. Even that idea was a curiosity to him. Few people ignored a man like Rahim, if only because he took up an awful lot of space. On this occasion though, it probably made at least some sense that the tall man was ignored, in favour of the arrival of Kouri. While the barbarian was mostly unaware of the woman's significance, of which the majority of other people were fascinated by, he did recognize that she clearly had some sort of importance. If nothing else, she was a powerful shaman. People seemed inexorably attracted to her, or her cause. Rahim paused to look her over, noticing she was attractive enough to at least warrant the doting that was being lavished upon her by an all-to-eager crowd.

Rahim was pondering what his approach should be, considering the woman and her tiefling had invited everyone and-by-extension him to accompany her on a test of authentication. He was unsure if he much cared about this woman's lineage, or her place in some strange folk story. To him, she was an interesting woman and nothing more. Even if she proved not to be this fantasy woman that the tiefling was seeking, he would probably seek to follow her for a while: If only to see what she might accomplish.

His train of thought was broken at the sudden feel of something cold, and then something warm pressing against his weapon-less hand. Looking down, he noticed a large wolf lapping at his hand, seemingly after the small snack he had in his hands. He looked down at the animal, and then up at the woman who was approaching it, and by proxy, Rahim. "I think your beast is hungry. What is its name?" Rahim's hand had not much moved since Faolan probed at the man's grip. He would, however, find that it was still iron. If the wolf went for the fish, it would find it rising far out of its grasp, and possibly feel the retaliation of a predator who is protecting his meal.

After a moment's hesitation, Faolan's ears perked up, and he rose to his full height, trudging off to Tahlia's side. I dislike this one, he snarled, briefly baring his teeth at the large man.

Tahlia nudged him forcefully in response. "Quit it."

Looking now to the source of her companion's displeasure, she unwittingly edged closer to Faolan's familiar fur, eyeing the man warily. Already small beside the dire-wolf, the pale young woman found herself totally dwarfed by the brute in front of her. Clearing her throat and trying not to betray her apprehension, she addressed him with a slight Rheinfeldan accent.

"He is Faolan, and I, Tahlia." She smirked. "Unfortunately, neither of us are unfamiliar with the sensation of hunger." Hoping to avoid going into detail, she flicked her wrist in his direction, designating both his hair and ears in one gesture. "Where are you from? I do not recognize your accent."

Noticing the wolf briefly bare its fangs at him, Rahim felt his fingers tense around the haft of his axe. His eyes narrowed as he stared at the beast; unflinching in front of the challenge...that is, until Tahlia nudged the creature, telling it to calm down. When the beast regained its composure, so did Rahim. He was not one to take a challenge lightly.

"Well then, Tahlia and Faolin, I am Rahim." Rahim said, offering a curt nod to the woman and her beast. "If you are both hungry, why have you not gone hunting?" His tone was as matter-of-fact as was his threat to kill Amaia, only a few minutes before.

Rahim looked down at the second fish, wondering what he should do with it. It was against his nature to give things away for free; especially things with obvious value, like food. He had offered it to the bard-woman for a service, perhaps he could get the same thing from this woman as well. "What do you know about the lake-woman? Everyone fawns over her, and seems to proclaim her as a savior of some sort. She just appears to be a sham- A mage of some sorts."

"There is little I can say for sure. Her magic is certainly powerful, but that is hardly enough to say whether—" She paused for the slightest of moments to catch her thoughts. "Should she be who she claims, we might very well bear witness to a grand, if short-lived, spectacle. It is said that an angel claimed a princess for his wife, as was his divine right. Naturally, she refused. Such disdain for the Gods' will did not go unpunished—and it was her people that bore the brunt of the massacre." Tahlia grimaced. "To put it simply, we of Rheinfeld do not all agree on the moral of this particular tale. If she were the princess of old, she'd have a lot to answer for."

Rahim nodded as he heard the story that Tahlia wove in regards to the blue haired woman. He briefly understood the last comment; the Rheinfelders were known for their...religious zeal, so to speak. "I see. She must have been hiding in the lake for a while, to lose the attention of this angel. How long ago was this event? A few days ago? A week maybe?" He said, before reaching up with a spare hand and scratching his cheekbone. He was surprised that a tale like this had become so widespread without his knowledge. It must have been very recent indeed. Normally such gossip would be on the lips of every shop worker or dock-hand. Admittedly, he had been rather aloof for the last week or so. "Also, how is it both the right of the angel to claim a wife and natural that she refuses? That seems highly confusing. No one should have the right to claim ownership of another being."

Faolan snorted in grudging agreement, but Tahlia remained firm. "What is right and what is natural are not always the same. We may be born into sin, but one aspires to die free of it." Her grimace deepened. "Or used to, anyway," she mumbled, her gaze distant. Refocusing on the large man, she continued. "To answer your earlier question, supposedly she'd disappeared over a thousand years ago. Where did you say you're from? This is hardly an isolated tale."

Rahim paused for a moment when Tahlia mentioned that the woman in the tale was supposedly from a tale one-thousand years old. That was the other reason that he might not identify the supposedly well-known tale. His tribe was not one for sharing stories with outsiders. "I didn't." He said, before offering the woman the first glimpse of emotion he'd shown since the scuffle at the pond had began; a small smirk.

After a moment of silence and stillness, Rahim suddenly threw the fish towards Tahlia. "Thank you for indulging my questions. I hope that is fair payment." He looked down at Faolan, nodding towards the beast. "You have a good companion. I hope he keeps you well." and with that, Rahim turned and walked towards the pond; seeking someone else for further questions.

"Thanks," she muttered to his back, still a little annoyed by his callousness.

Without hesitation, she passed the fish to Faolan, who started to rip it apart to get at the meat. I still don't like him. Tahlia only smiled at that.[/hr]

Last edited:
Amaia Nekane

Amaia rarely ever felt unsure of herself, but given the mess of nonsense occuring around the pond it seemed fate was conspiring to give her one of those days. She stood back, shifting her weight uncomfortably from one foot to the other, as the strangeness unfolded. Stairs formed in the ice, Baldrik shouted some fawning nonsense that made her glad she'd given a fake name, a woman started down those steps and was brought up short by...

That was the point where things got a little hazy for Amaia. The blue-haired woman who emerged from the ice was like a vision out of a dream, captivating and intimidating at once, so lovely one could not be far off to think she'd been the magnum opus of the gods themselves. Amaia got a clear look at Mikan as she exited the icy steps, and she was certainly a fine looking woman in her own right just as Amaia had expected, but she was a candle unto the blazing bonfire of the blue-haired woman. Some talking occured, which she heard and more or less paid attention to, something about a test and fighting the gods, but it was hard to pay much mind to things heard when the things she could see were so enthralling.

Amaia managed to tear her eyes away from the woman, supposedly Princess Kouri of legend if the people yapping around the edge of the pond could be believed, only after realizing that she was staring like a starving predator stalking its prey. She shuddered and kept her gaze carefully away from the woman, feeling uncomfortable with her own actions. It was possible that the woman was making use of some kind of glamour, a magic to make herself unnaturally appealing to the eyes, and the thought made Amaia feel a lot better about the situation. There was no way someone could be so beautiful as to stun her into near senselessness, not without some foul magic at play at least. Yes, that explained everything perfectly: it was magic at work, not her own weakness that had caused her to stare like a fool for so long.

There was nothing for it but to go along with this group and see if this supposed princess was in fact a witch. She seemed decent enough, but if she was indeed using a glamour to alter her appearance then there was no telling what exactly was being hidden behind the alluring facade. If the blue-haired woman was not as wholesome as she appeared, then Amaia wanted to be there to rid the world of another witch. She was no longer a witch hunter of course, but a monster hunter couldn't ignore those monsters that walked around in human form, job titles be damned.

Amaia put on a friendly smile as she started moving, walking slowly along the edge of the pond to find someone to talk to. With luck, it was possible she could find someone who also doubted the woman from the lake and might join forces with her to discover the truth. Perhaps it would even be someone pretty enough to distract her from the possible witch's damnably perfect face. That was unlikely, of course, but a woman could dream.

Baldrik Larsson

Serving Koiru, the Lady of the Lake.

He couldn't believe it, his services had been accepted by the one and only princess Kouri, the one that a thousand years ago lost her Kingdom to the dishonorable gods that had betrayed her- and, to think that she even recognized him to the point where she put her hands on him! It was almost like being touched by a living god to him... Speaking of gods, the fact that the gods themselves had to intervene against such a force that Kouri had held was astonishing to Baldrik. This is without a doubt why his loyal tree-branch had served her for such a long time, including the fact that the sword was passed down all the way to him. It was destined for him to meet her, and it was destined for him to be accepted. He felt a smile creep up on his face as he began to nod vigorously. No matter how hard the challenge would be, the risk of death, or the type of fighting that Kouri would be needed done, Baldrik had to serve her...

Besides, he knew that she'd never make him slaughter civilians. The story about her made her out to be a goddess of peace and order, she did run a Kingdom after all, and without those qualities, Baldrik highly doubted the Kingdom would've lasted for as long as it did if she was. He looked on over towards Sisera, that just showed his face and began to talk with her. As much as Baldrik was capable of understanding, she had some form of personal connection with this man- which surprised Baldrik quite a bit. Someone actually survived a thousand years of slumber, aside from Kouri? How's that possible... And he looks relatively young, given how much time he apparently had breathing. Of course, since she had trouble recognizing the man... perhaps that was for a reason? Baldrik slowly raised himself up as he realized that his general presensce had been dismissed by Kouri and the rest, and he quickly took ahold of his rifle once more, raising it back up to pointing the barrel up in the sky. Better make sure he didn't hit anyone and all that.

It was after a while, Baldrik wondered if anyone was aware of what his 'stick' actually was, aside from the King's Ranger and Kouri, as they both seemed to have an idea regarding it: Actually, of course Kouri would know out of everyone here. Why wouldn't she? Anyway, back to his rambling, Baldrik began to question if he should atleast tell everyone what it was... but that would make him look like an absolute arsehead. Instead he just shrugged off the thought, and would just answer the question if he was asked it. Besides, if anyone of these people happened to be a traitor persay, he'd have a huge advantage over them if they didn't know how his weapon worked. Instead, Baldrik decided to introduce himself to Sisera:

"It's an honor to meet a great supporter of Kouri, Sisera. My name's Baldrik Larsson, a descendant of the Royal Guard. What kind of relationship may you have with the princess, if my courisity doesn't trend upon you, that is." And with that, he extended his right hand outwards, the lizard skin that was worn by his forearm and hand clearly indicating that he'd been through something. If Sisera were to clasp his hand, he'd feel a very coarse, sand-like feel from the lizard skin, almost as if it was dead skin from a normal human hand.

Last edited:
Kalemn Weller

Kalemn didn't believe a word of it. This would-be princess was nothing more than a talented mage with a few silvers to spare on hair dye. No human lived for a thousand years. Not the princess, and not the old bald man either. A clever addition, that. Kalemn couldn't help but be appreciative. A powerful young ice mage alone could easily have pulled off the ruse, perhaps, but the addition of some old friend? For those who doubted, such as Kalemn, it only reinforced what they already thought. But for those who believed... what was one more living legacy? A touching reunion, some charismatic ignorance, and a free following was born.

And when they left, Kalemn planned to tag along. This is what she had been looking for, even if she hadn't been aware of it before. The same forests, same fields, same villages. Her entire life had been a single way of life, surrounded by the same people. Now, standing around the lake was the most varied group of people she had ever heard of.

If Kouri failed the Ranger's test, it would be an interesting diversion. If she succeeded... whether or not she was lying wouldn't matter. If everyone else believed her, then it might as well be truth. Help her on her quest, explore the world, potentially gain the favour of a queen. Risky? Of course. But her entire way of life was a single second of bad luck away from death anyway.

She didn't know how long she could be gone, either way. She considered trying to leave some kind of message for her friends and family, but there wasn't anything that would get the job done. Anything unique to be recognized as her own would be stolen, and even if it wasn't, even if she could make it look deliberate rather than something dropped in a fight, they'd assume she was on the run. And when she didn't reappear soon enough, the only conclusion they'd reach was her death.

It was almost enough to make her turn around and head home, but curiosity combined with the urge to expand her life won ought. It would be hard on her parents, but they had all assumed the others were dead innumerable times. They were a family familiar with mourning, and with moving on.

Alexandra Somer
A Thorough Examination of All Things, Considering

Alexandra watches the conversations with some curiosity. Already, a number of oddities were making their presence known. She watches them all, in her head, words already forming for the start of the this story. What a tale she would weave; her ballad would be heard for generations to come. There was tension making its way through her, though. She could not help but wonder if this would be a historical account of heroism and legend or a tragedy urging caution. With some of these people, the latter seemed more likely.

Of course, her intrigue was piqued by the massive wanderer who had addressed her before her diversion on ice. He seemed well enough, if simple. The woman and wolf, however, made her uneasy for some reason she was unsure. The peasantry with burn scars earned a mirthful look from her. The coincidence of the princess' steward arriving here at the same time just seemed far too much of a coincidence. Of course, were all grand things in this world not engineered by Fate and Destiny. The man with reptilian affects was a damnable fool, in her mind. He needed a bit of reality knocked into him. He appeared in absolute reverence of Kouri -- even if she was a living legend, she was still a human and only alive thanks to the workings of others. She had some curiosity about what brought Postman Pat here or the rather average looking warrior. She smirks inwardly to herself, of course one of those two would be the true heroes of this tale. She rolls her eyes at the idea that either of them would win the heart of the fair maiden and save the world from evil. It was preferable to the large lizard riding snob, of course. She was sure his underthings were made of the finest of materials to cradle his privates. Disgusting. The other women, though, were of some intrigue. An elf: they always seemed so aloof, this one appeared no different. A roguish looking thug, her scars told a tale themselves. Then a woman who, to her alarm, looked vaguely familiar. It sent a chill down her spine and made her wish to turn away instantly, she was intent upon being an observer of these events; to perhaps have any real connections with the motley crew here was out of the question.

She shakes her head and crosses her arms over her chest. She was feeling far less enthusiastic about this. She was sure at least one of these strangers (the Tiefling, especially) was going to make this a mess of an affair. She supposed she could be thankful that albeit the fact she had walked much of the morning, it had been at quite a leisurely pace. If necessary, she would be able to take egress from whatever chaos ensued.

Rahim and Mikan - Strength, Speed, Purpose, and Belief.
{A collaberative effort with @Brovo}​

Having finished his conversation with Tahlia and Faolin, Rahim was walking towards the more localised portion of the party with a newfound interest. Whereas before he had been curious about the magical woman merely because she was seemingly powerful, now Rahim was curious about a supposed fairy tale-made-flesh. Kouri's old story was told in the past, so it made sense that her new story might once again reach the pinnacles of legend. If it did, Rahim wanted to be there.

However, there were still things that Rahim remained unsure about. For one, he did not see a point of approaching the would-be legend just yet. She was engrossed in conversations with other people, and it would be unwise to interject without a good reason. Another thing was the small figure of the thief, Mikan. The woman represented a troubling enigma for him. She was a sneak of some sort, yet she was not a bandit. The way she had attacked Marcus, while reckless and ultimately futile, was actually quite rapid and, in some ways, impressive. He was…well…curious. As he saw her walk away from one person, one of the pair that dived in to save her, Rahim decided that now would be a fine time to approach her. If for no other reason than opportunity: after all, she seemed to be very popular.

Calling out to her, Rahim approached with a clear intent. While he still had his axe perched on his shoulder, the blade lay horizontal behind him. It was a less-aggressive stance, even if it still happened to be the person-sized tree-cutter of a seven foot behemoth. "You, sneaky woman. Why did you stab at the red-skinned one before? Most other people at the pond would have been killed by the strike, for merely approaching you. That makes you difficult to trust."

Mikan was busy snuggling her newly found Kouri Plushie when Rahim approached. As he spoke with his deep voice, she jumped, a little startled, and turned to look at him. "Nun, Sie sind ein großer Mann. (Well, you are a big man.)" She mutters this under her breath as her knees bend a little, ready to bolt as the topic at hand visibly made her uncomfortable. "Wouldn't you stab out at the sound of approaching armour, when it fails to announce its presence?"

Rahim looked at the woman, poe-faced as she muttered in the Rheinfelder's tongue. To him, it was as good as silence. He did notice her lower her stance though. "No, but I have nothing that is following me." He said, before making an exaggerated movement of sitting down onto the ground. Once again, the axe was placed gently to the side, as he looked over the lake. He nodded to the spot next to him, offering it to the woman. "This lake is a good lake. It is a very serene setting for something that is apparently so important." He said, before looking over at Kouri with a strange look on his face. For a moment, it looked as if the large man was torn between happiness and trepidation upon the sight of her. "Where do you hail from, stranger? Do you have a name to share?"

Mikan loosens up a bit and manages a confused looking smile. She keeps her distance, momentarily, but bows a little. Or, at least tries, though without any sort of grace. "My name is Mikan. I hail from Rheinfeld... Or, at least, I did once. It's not my home anymore. Where do you come from?"

Rahim nods at her, noticing her loosening up and starting to feel more relaxed. He was more than happy to let her keep her secrets. Just as he would keep his for at least a while longer. "From a land very, very far away; where the sky is hidden behind great canopies." He said, looking wistfully into the lake as his mind briefly went elsewhere. After a moment, he sighed, before adding, "I am Rahim, by the way. Wanderer Rahim. I am also without a homeland, so we have that much in common." Looking past Mikan, Rahim's gaze lingered on the blue-haired woman in the distance for a second; acting like the beacon that drew in the masses like moths. "Do you intend to follow her? I wonder what is it that other people hope to find in following her."

"I will." Mikan says with a giggle. "It will be interesting to see if she is who she says she is." Quietly, she steps over to him, and then sits beside him, staring at the frozen pond. It was starting to thaw in the heat of the sun. "I want to believe."

Rahim notices the woman sitting next to him, and for the first time he takes note of her physicality in any great deal. She was surprisingly pretty. "Belief is a strange thing. It can make wolves out of mice, and mice out of lions." He frowned momentarily, thinking about something else, before turning back to Mikan. "I will follow her for now. Not because of some fate she bares; but because I hope she will help me find what I seek. A Wanderer cannot forever be without purpose." Looking over at the slowly melting lake, Rahim smiled at the absurdity of the scene, and how beautiful it seemed to be because of it. "This will make a fine memory, if nothing else."

"Yeaahh..." Replies Mikan as she stretches out. She glances over at Rahim. "And all these fine looking men and women! How could one pass up all of these opportunities for fun?" A salacious giggle leaves her lips as she falls back against the grass. "So... You want a purpose, huh? I hope you find it. I kinda get that, actually..."

Rahim nods. "You can keep the menfolk, but there are a few very attractive people here; you are right." He said, before he slowly leaned back to mimic the relaxed looking Mikan. He smirked, as he thought back to his tribe. For some reason, he had the inkling that Mikan might thrive there. "Still: between my quest for purpose, your need to believe, and whatever the others want from her; the blue-haired woman will have a lot to try and find. A lot of weight will be put on her shoulders. I hope she will not break under the strain."

"Ohh... It's not whether she will. It's if she will get back up after..." Mikan whispers, a hint of regret in the way her voice faltered near the end. "I hope she chooses better than me, whether she's the real deal or not... It'd be a shame if someone that attractive went ahead to the Gods before their time for a lack of a mind."

Rahim nods, smiling as he notices a bird flutter over the top of the thawing lake. It seemed perplexed by the still-frozen surface, but it managed to find a small bit of water before it fluttered into the sky again. "You are far wiser than you let on, behind the flirting and the running. I hope that you might find someone worth trusting in whatever group follows her." Rahim said. "Whether that be her, or someone else." Rahim's hand reached up to scratch at a scar on his chest, feeling the hardened tissue itch uncomfortably under his attention. "In the meantime, I will be here if you wish to talk; or if you simply wish to lay upon the riverbank." He said, pausing for a moment before adding with a hint of a chuckle. "I am now glad that the Red-skinned man did not kill you for attacking him."

"Well, I'm glad to not be dead too." Mikan giggles and looks over at Rahim appreciatively. He had certain characteristics she seemed drawn towards. "Well, big guy, I'm gonna take off here and follow after this uh... Princess. I'd love if you tagged along, though. I'd imagine we could have a lot of fun together."

Rahim nods, before sitting up straight and looking over at Kouri in the distance. "I will be following her as well, do not worry. Someone has to make sure she doesn't break too soon." Rahim then pushes himself onto his feet, before offering Mikan a hand up. "Until then, I won't be far if you need someone to be fun for you." Rahim smiled at the woman, apparently pleased by something she'd said. He had a lot of respect for her free-spirit, now that she wasn't trying to stab people in the gut.

Mikan reaches out and grabs Rahim's hand, and then with a surprising amount of speed, pulls herself up. She bends her knees as she does so, and springs backward the moment her feet touch the ground, so she can get a few feet of distance from Rahim. With a playful smile and a giggle, she speaks once more. "I'll keep that in mind, gut aussehend. (Good looking.)"

Pat
Thoroughly confused.... but curious enough to wonder
Pat realised he had stopped at the point where the road meet the clearing and was staring with his mouth hanging open somewhere in the region of several minutes after the fact. He was brought back to reality by Jess' fidgeting under him. It wasn't just the sheer number of strange folk that had gathered, he had seen a few odd people before in the border towns and the rare few that passed through the local villages, though this many in one place at the same time was quite outside his experience. He had caught the announcements from the ranger and the blue haired woman and his thoughts drifted briefly to the plushie he had bought his sister years ago, he'd never given the tales much thought before now, thinking them to be just that, tales... now thought...

Pat reached for his saddlebag in an effort to do something familiar, after a rummaging thought the contents very briefly he came to the same conclusion that he already knew, he had nothing to deliver in his bags and would not be missed immediately if he were to take a .small detour. On the flip side it also meant he had no ready excuse not to do at the ranger had suggested and witness whatever test he was talking about. That in itself was something he had not even thought he was considering until he realised he had dismounted from Jess and was walking closer to the gathering crowd.

Consciously aware of his actions now he chose not to approach anyone directly, just sort of got closer while keeping mostly to himself. He may not have given the tales much thought before... but what if they were true, he did not think this was something he could turn away from and not regret should that turn out to be the case. Even if it did turn out to be true and he chose not to follow the princess after the test, he could spread the word of her return through the villages when he retuned to his mailing routes, if she turned out to be an imposter then he could put a stop to rumours that might flare up over the next few weeks.

At least that was the logic he told himself as he prepared to follow the ranger and these people to wherever the ranger was to lead them.

• Thank You
Reactions: Brovo
"Here, I'll read you something. Pick a story."
-Sisera, Page 1.​

The Mystic Pond

Marcus looks around the pond at the large group and winces a little. He motions for Jaro to walk over to him, and then motions to Kouri. "Ensure none of the travellers here survive so much as to breath a whisper should they threaten her. Guard her with your life, I will guide us back home." Kouri looks at Jaro, and immediately the breath catches in her throat. There was something off about a great many people here, but Jaro in particular disturbed her on a deeply profound level, and yet she couldn't put a finger on why. Nonetheless, she manages a polite smile, and then notices how light his steps were. "... A strange sort of magic, that makes you so light in your step. I can barely tell you apart from your armour..."

Marcus glances back at Kouri, and for the first time, his eyes seemed to show hesitation about providing an answer. "It is Jaro's business who he shares his nature with. I would ask that you respect that, even if you are the one I swore an oath to." Kouri raises her hands in embarrassment and nods quickly. "My apologies! 'Tis not my intention to demand anything from him. I am simply curious... I've read about magic that seems familiar to this, but I've never seen it before. I'm not sure what magic it is, but it's quite potent." The armoured tiefling chuckles and steps away, shaking his head. "Potent he is. Ask his enemies."

A quiet sigh of relief leaves Kouri's lips as Marcus turns his attention towards guiding her to where the King's Rangers were based. It couldn't be far, as he was on foot. At least, she hoped at some level that it wasn't too far. "Well?" She heard Marcus say as she is suddenly snapped away from her own thoughts. He had walked a few steps away and was now waiting on her to proceed. "Oh, pardon me." Kouri replies as she turns and shouts to everyone in the area. "I am leaving for the King's Rangers outpost now! Join me, or don't. I will leave that to you to decide..." She then looks between Alexandra, Samuel, and Baldrick. "...I would prefer not to travel alone." Whatever she meant by that was up to them to interpret it seemed, as she smiled and began to follow Marcus.

Mikan, meanwhile, looked over the group and noticed Kouri walking away. With a sigh, she carries her still frozen blade over to Kouri and looks up into the air nonchalantly as she clears her throat to get her attention. With a glance, Kouri hesitated, and then flicked her wrist. The ice shatters off the blade and falls to the ground. With an uncertain and nervous giggle, Mikan flourishes her blade and then sheathes it at her waist. "Thanks." The princess smiles a little and looks at the way that Mikan twirled her blade with ease. It was showy, and she had seen many similar displays by those who wished to impress her a thousand years ago. "You're not nearly as foolish as you sound, are you?" A sly expression crosses Mikan's face briefly for a moment, as she stretches her arms out. "Nobody gets shafted by what they expect. It's always what people underestimate that kills em' dead, you know? Don't ask silly things like that. I'm never going to tell you."

With that, she strolls off ahead, with a toy in one hand, and her other hand lazily resting upon the pommel of her blade. The princess glances at her, and then at all those travelling with her. What a motley group they were.

The King's Rangers' Hidden Home

It was a brief trip, that spanned the entirety of a late morning and afternoon. They went far, far off the beaten trails of the trade caravans. Marcus travelled largely in silence, as he kept his eyes open around the area. Kouri, meanwhile, was marvelling at how untouched and unchanged it all seemed from her own time, and Mikan slipped about the group, teasing people with the Kouri Plushie in her possession briefly before dashing away to her next victim, though she always seemed to skip over Kouri each and every time it came her turn. As the sun was starting to fall from its place in the sky to the horizon, to declare to the world that the evening rays had come and the warmth of the day was being sapped away, Marcus motions for the group to stop.

They were in a patch of tall, grassy foothills, and while standing atop them, far to the north, a large series of mountains could be seen, where many dangers to travellers laid in wait. Around them the area seemed suspiciously quiet: Not a sound of wildlife, and aside from the occasional breeze that caused the thigh high grass to tickle bare skin, nothing else seemed to move. Marcus steps over the next foothill, and for a few minutes, they stood alone.

A few figures rise out of the grass around them, arrows notched into bows, as they aimed for the group. Mikan pulls out her blades and looks around, fear clearly in her eyes, though she knew better than to try and fight her way out of this. "Who are you?" One of them speaks with a gruff tone. He appeared to be the leader. The figures were hooded in dark garments, and coated in light armour of various forms. Kalemn, Dean, and Pat would be able to recognize the rough uniform as that belonging to much-feared vigilantes, though only Pat would recognize them for what they were: King's Rangers. He had likely encountered them before, saving caravans from bandits. Kalemn likely only ever heard of them, for such encounters typically proved quite profoundly lethal for the bandits. "I am Princess Kouri, of Renalta." Kouri replies bluntly. "Sure, and I'm the king of a land of candy, booze, and rainbows. Who are you really, pretender, and don't lie to me this time... It'd be a shame if my fingers slipped."

Kouri raises one of her hands, cool air wreathed around it as she glared at him angrily. "I am Princess Kouri, of Renalta, and I am here to prove that to you. Whether you wish it proved through violence or the blood test that Marcus had mentioned to me, is up to you. I would rather avoid bloodshed... My quarrel is not with you."

The King's Rangers slowly lower their bows, one by one, as the leader among them steps forward and pulls his hood back. His face was scarred, and he appeared to be in his fifties, with his greying hair. Only a few strands of black showed what his hair colour was once in youth. "Good answer." He raises a gloved hand and snaps his fingers. Behind him, the grassy foothill that Marcus had stepped over suddenly opens, as a mage behind it forces the Earth to bend to his will. "We hide in plain sight, as we always have. Step inside, and be quick about it." He looks at the rest of the motley group, and narrows his eyes with distrust. "We are always watching. Try anything foolish, and you will die before you can scream."

Mikan swallows back a little nervousness, and slowly sheathes her blades. "Well... I've seen weirder things." She shoots a look of great concern to Kouri. "Ich hoffe wirklich, du weißt, was du tust. (I really hope you know what you're doing.)" Kouri hesitates a moment, seeming to struggle to understand the grammar, but nods as she understood what Mikan said, one way or another. "King's Ranger." The leader looks to her and raises an eyebrow. "Yes?" Kouri sighs, and takes a deep breath. "If I should fail my test, you will let the rest of these people go, yes? They should not pay the price for my arrogance, if I were to be a con. They followed me of their own volition, curious as you are to know if I tell the truth. They should not pay with their lives for curiosity."

The King's Ranger seems to mull it over momentarily, and then nods as he sighs. "They will not pay the price for your foolishness. If you are a liar and a fool, others should live long enough to spread word of that." Kouri nods appreciatively as Mikan sighs in an exaggerated manner with relief. "Phew! I thought I was gonna die for a minute there. That would have sucked." The King's Ranger glares at her, as Marcus emerges from the interior of the King's Ranger base. "She's an idiot, commander. Ignore her." The Commander's attention is drawn to Marcus instead, though the glare persists. "The last time you brought someone here, they proved to be a falsehood. Don't think I've forgotten that. If this one proves the same, you will share her fate. We can't have you compromising our security repeatedly." Marcus hesitates a moment with surprise, and then bows his head loyally. "I understand. My life is yours to end, if necessary."

Kouri glances between them with a mixture of surprise and concern. "You sound more like the angels that smote my lands, than guardians of the peace." The Commander looks at Kouri, wrinkling his nose. A scar ran across it from an old wound, likely a blade, as he replies quietly. "We are guardians of a children's fairy tale, living in a world where we have been homeless for a thousand years. What did you expect?"

"Better." Kouri replies simply, not being remotely intimidated or dismayed by the dismissive nature of the King's Ranger.

The Commander continues to glare at her for a moment, and then snorts as he shakes his head. "You're certainly naive enough to have stepped out of a fairy tale. Come along."

Without any hesitation, Kouri steps forth and moves for the base. The Commander follows her quickly. Behind her, Mikan meekly waited for others to proceed first, as she was still clearly not trusting of magic in general. Marcus waits just outside the doorway, as he was watching if anyone in the group deserted at this point.

Inside, the walls were made of dirt, and the floor of hardened and shaped stone. This base had been around for quite some time, and several floors were dug further underneath the ground. Kouri stepped through a hallway, several feet in length, into a large and surprisingly open chamber, larger than the hill itself should rightfully be able to fit. At the centre of the room, a large brazier sparks to life suddenly. Around her, a few more King's Rangers, a couple of servants who were working to move supplies around and tend torches inside, and two other, interesting figures.

One was a rather strange looking elf with skin as dark as the charcoal within the torch holders, who wore a rather expensive looking silk shirt and leather pants, that implied some deep level of nobility in his bloodline. At his waist was a pair of strange, magically imbued throwing axes. Beside him stood another, also in silk though his appeared more to be of a merchant class' affordability than nobility. His long, black hair looked rather unkempt as it flowed around his shoulders and upper back, and he wore a rather dramatic and flamboyant looking purple cape. He also carried a smooth and unremarkable looking staff, save for the purple gemstone imbued at the end of it.

Kouri looks around the room a little confused. "Quite a motley organization." She looked especially baffled and curious at the man who wore a purple cape. He bows eloquently while holding the edges of his cape up, while the dark skinned elf merely kept his hands crossed over his chest. "Pretender, meet Hanus Wolfblood and James Moriarty. The former is a nobleman who found our cause and donated quite heavily to it, while the latter is..." James raises from his bow, and grins as he offers a handshake to Kouri. "I'm the carnival illusionist they paid to help them hide from the Gods after their previous one met his miserable end recently. It's a pleasure to meet you, truly." Kouri slowly extends her hand and shakes his uncertainly, then pulls it back quickly. It was clear she found him unsettling. Hanus said nothing, though bowed his head respectfully. Kouri smiles as she returns the gesture.

The Commander looks back toward the entrance. He makes a motion with his hand, sending a couple of the King's Rangers deeper into the complex. "They will retrieve what we need to test you here. There is no need to show a pretender more than this." Kouri glares at him. "I am not a pretender." The Commander rolls his eyes. "We will see. You're not the first Marcus has brought to me. He can be easily fooled."

Kouri looks around the area, looking for anyone who had travelled with her from the pond.

"I am not a conwoman. I did not simply appear in a mercenary troupe... These people can testify, I stepped out of a pond I froze with my own hands. They felt something when I awoke, if they have even a twinge of magical talent."

The Commander shakes his head. "We will see if any of that is true soon, won't we?"

Elsewhere...

"Ah... My prodigal Archangel returns to me."
"Practising your sarcasm, are you?"
"Naturally, Typhon... You told me she was dead."
"Who?"
"The royal family of Renalta has a survivor... I feel it."
"You've 'felt' these things before, and they always turned out to be estranged cousins many generations removed with no power, nor bloodline. Why should I believe it now?"
"No. No cousins. No strange, virulent rats of generations long since gone... This one is directly down the line. Her resting place was found, Typhon, but it was found empty, and her presence has been hidden from me..."
"... Who are you talking abo--"
"KOURI, YOU DAMNABLE FOOL! You failed to kill her! Her body was never found, and yet you claimed you wrought her ashes across the very grasslands themselves! I knew you lied to me then, and now that lie has come to roost at a time when I am too weak to directly interfere in their world!"
"So what?"
"So she undoubtedly knows how to defeat us... And has all the motivation in the world to do so."
"Seems like that's your problem."
"You realize if she takes away my power, your power will fade until you die. Your fate is linked to mine. Your soul, directly under my control. Why do you forget this?"
"... Now, it's my problem."
"Good that we have an understanding."
"So what do you command of me? I would love to take her..."
"Quiet your foolish loins! I suffer with your indulgences enough as is. When the time comes, her life must simply end. Every moment she lives is another she has to act against me, even if you think you can make her your pet... You will not be the one to destroy her."
"What?! It is my shame, my desire, that caused this! Let me redeem myself in your eyes!"
"No. Not now. I have other plans for you, and I can't trust you to be able to overpower your own... Salacious thoughts. No... No... No. I want you to deliver a message, to a mortal who could hunt her for us, while she is weak and has no army."
"A mortal? If not I, why not another Archangel? Why not an entire army of angels?"
"Because it would be noticed. We must end her without making her a martyr. Her message is more powerful than she ever will be. If we can kill the message quietly, in the night, while nobody else is listening... Then there shall be none to rise up after her. None who will know what to do. We can end this, for eternity, but it has to be done... With a level of subtlety."
"A brilliant plan."
"I didn't ask for your opinion, Typhon. I only asked you here to deliver my message... A promise of power, and justice should they fail."
"Why bother? Pay them with money. Buy some mercenaries."
"There is no force more powerful than a promise of power mixed with fear, Typhon. Mortals are backwards and naive. You can ply them without ever giving them anything if you know what to do. Now... Take this message. The scroll shall be your decree, and the seal will tell you where to go."
"Should I be aware of anything about this mortal before I leave?"
"No. It's best you know nothing more than that he seeks eternal youth. Play that against him. Convince him the princess has somehow achieved it, and that will be our promise of power. You can dispose of him later yourself, once he has finished what I have tasked of him."
"As you wish."

Last edited:
Amaia and Kouri - On the Road to the Ranger Hideout
Collab with @Brovo

The hills and grass and trees and so forth were pretty enough in their own way, but Amaia grew bored of them after a couple hours of walking. And plotting. And maybe a little bit of scheming as well. She'd made some effort during the walk to acclimate herself to the maybe-princess' uncanny beauty, taking short looks before turning away, like a man a year in a dark cell getting used to the sun again. Amaia still had a sneaking suspicion that it was a glamour at work rather than natural stunning looks, but she'd decided to put that line of thinking to the side for the time being. For now, she had a bet to win, and there was no time like the present.

Amaia quickened her step to walk up beside Kouri and then matched the other woman's pace. She got far closer than most would be comfortable with from a stranger, almost to the point of brushing shoulders. She also gave not a hint of a bow or any other courtesy that a noble would expect, treating the blue-haired woman like she was just another commoner on the road. When she spoke, Amaia's voice was dry and condescending. "So you're supposed to be a legendary princess, huh?" She let out a sound that was half snort, half laugh, all disrespect. "I just can't see it. You'd do well in a brothel, like some of the other Kouri imitators I've seen in my day, but some of them put on a better show of it than you do. It's sad, really."

The princess shoots Amaia a look of disapproval, though it wasn't a harsh kind. It seemed borne more out of surprise at the sudden viciousness than out of some sort of frustration. Her tone was plainly neutral in her reply, as she didn't seem to know whether to take it as some sort of compliment, humour, or aggression. "So brothels are where dozens of my impersonators gather to defeat the Gods now?" She feigns ignorance, though it was an easily seen through facade. Her tone changes to curiosity, as she speaks once more. "Why follow me if you possess such a lowly opinion, then?"

Though it hadn't as strong a reaction as she'd hoped for, Amaia put on a smirk in response to Kouri's foolish response and question. "Yes, defeating the gods by pulling men into sin, one cock at a time. It's a lovely strategy, and I'd suggest you take up the profession if not for the fact that you'll soon be executed as a fake. It's possible you can act well enough to pretend you enjoy a drunken fool flopping around on top of you, though your poor performance at the pond puts that into serious doubt." She affected a higher pitched, mocking tone as she continued. "Oh, look at me, I can do a bit of magic and put on a half-assed impression of nobility and I dyed my hair, I'm a magical fucking princess out of the stories nobody really believes in anymore." Amaia barked a rough laugh at her own act, shaking her head slowly with a grin on her face. "I'm following to see how long it'll take you to break and quit the act, that's all. I figure you're stupid enough to keep it going until just before the axe falls, and by then it'll be too late for you. Executions always make for a good show, and I can't resist a good show."

"Ah." Kouri replies simply, as she turns away and looks on ahead. It was clear that there was a little bit of pain in the way her shoulders tensed and her smile faltered momentarily, but all it did was cause her to repress further. "I hope you get your amusement from my suffering then." Amaia would be able to notice a little bit of the wispy, blue energy which Kouri had used to manipulate the icy pond from earlier wreath around her hands, though it seemed to dance more in a comforting way than a threatening one.

Aw, fuck. Amaia had hoped for an outburst of anger, not a depressed withdrawal, and in her surprise she winced and drew away from Kouri a little as they walked. She was used to dealing with rough sorts of people who would have taken such mockery on the chin and fired back, none of this wilting sadness crap. And it didn't help that the woman was was just so damned pretty that seeing even a hint of her hurt felt like a knife in the gut. Just a moment ago Amaia had been almost certain that this woman was a fake, that the accusations and mockery would make her defensive and mad, but this? There was something more to it than just a fear of death, some nerve struck and cut deep, and why would a fake be so wounded by a doubter? If she was a fake, then maybe the comment about becoming whore could have been what cut so deep, but that didn't make it any better in the end. Gods, I'm such a cunt sometimes.

Amaia maintained the newly opened walking distance between herself and Kouri but reached up, almost laying a hand on the other woman's shoulder but thinking better of it and pulling back at the last moment. "Alright, look, I was..." She noticed her voice held a note of defiance, like she was trying to explain why it wasn't her fault, and grimaced while staring straight forward in silence for a second. When she spoke again, her shoulders slumped down and her words came in a tentatively apologetic tone. "I'm an ass. I made a stupid bet that I could make you lose your calm and get angry at me being an ass, and when I go after a goal I can get a little... carried away. I was hoping to make you yell at me to fuck off, not actually strike a nerve, and, well, I'm sorry. I realize that doesn't make me any less of a horrible person, but I'm sorry and I will absolutely let you punch me if it would make you feel any better. It's not much, but it's all I know to offer." Amaia rubbed awkwardly at the back of her neck, staring down at the dirt road as she walked and continued to match Kouri's pace.

Though a few moments of silence passed, Kouri slowed her pace a little, and looked over to Amaia. For once, her eyes showed some deep ridden sorrow, as the political guise was momentarily discarded. "It is what it is." Her eyes slowly wander away toward the grass and dirt as well. Taking a deep breath, she closes her eyes and focuses herself. Though there was a momentary flinch of emotional pain across her face, when she opens her eyes again, the political guise returns with the friendly smile. "You did almost make me lose my calm. You could count that as a half win to your friend." She seemed to be choosing her words carefully, as though trying to avoid further outbursts.

Amaia looked up in time to see the political mask fall and then slide back into place and couldn't help letting out a low whistle. "That stuff about being a poor actor was a load of horse shit, you're sort of scarily good at it now that I see it up close." She let out an awkward cough and glanced away for a moment, then looked back with an unsteady smile of her own. "I think I'll pass on calling that any sort of win. It'd only make me an even larger cunt than I already am, and even I have standards." A small bird flitted through the sky over the road a ways ahead, and Amaia fell quiet for a few seconds as she watched it. After a few steps in relative silence, she looked over to Kouri with a brow arched inquisitively. "Are you sure you don't want to take up the offer and punch me? I've been told by more than a few that it's a great way of feeling better after I do something carelessly stupid to them."

"I don't want to hurt people if I can help it." Kouri replies softly, as she glances over to Amaia. "As for acting... I've spent my entire life training to rule a kingdom that is a thousand years gone. More than a few nobles--frail of heart, and yet fraught with ego--deigned for my... Status, and were never destined to have it." She turns away and glances at the same bird in the sky, her smile growing larger and flickering to something genuine. "Just try to be a better person. That is all I could ask."

"Ah. Well, yes, I suppose that made for some good training." Amaia paused, surprised to realize that she actually believed Kouri's explanation. In the span of minutes she'd gone from doubting the story to leaning toward accepting it as true, and all it took was a little emotional trauma. "I... I'll try. No promises, but I'll try." She went to step away and fade back into the column of travelers, but hesitated long enough to shoot Kouri a wink and a grin and say one last thing. "For what it's worth, I hope you're telling the truth about who you are. You're too pretty to die just yet."

"Thank you... I think." Kouri replies with a neutral tone, as she then focuses on travelling ahead.

Amaia simply chuckled at the response and slowed her pace, letting Kouri pull ahead of her. She'd already pestered the woman enough for the day, no need to start flirting with her as well. Better to leave it as a seed to perhaps sprout another day, assuming the princess lived to see another day.

(A Collab Between Kouri and Baldrik)

(During the Journey to the Hideout)

Baldrik Larsson had just taken up most of the things that he had left behind in his camp as he jogged back towards the Princess, following her along with the supposed King's Guard at a brisk pace. His heart was pumping blood throughout his veins, his head felt a bit light as he tagged along the Messiah of the Worlds. To think that he would have such a great honor! To travel along side the one that could possibly end all conflict in the region of Renalta, a new era of peace and prosperity! However, he knew that if he wanted to cement his position as apart of her personal guard, he had to start speaking with her. His throat clogged up for a second as he tried to think up of what he would say to her, and walked a bit faster than usual to catch up to her: until he was walking right next to her.

"I must beg your pardon, princess Kouri, for disturbing your peace. I just wanted to know if it's alright if I got to talk with you, regarding security."

"Of course, Baldrick." Kouri replies as she looks over to him. She slows enough so that he could walk beside her, and then looks at his firearm with curiosity. "What were you thinking about concerning security?"

Baldrik nodded to himself as they began to slow down, having gained the attention of the princess, he now tried to make sure his suggestion didn't seem off: All he wanted was to make sure the princess was safe, after all. "During the year that I searched for you, the major-organizations that inhabits this world appears to have a general negative outlook on you. Given that we might roll in attention towards us, I just wondered if it'd be a cleaver idea if someone were to keep watch over your tent at night- to make sure none tries anything."

Kouri seems to momentarily pause in her step, considering the proposal before continuing forward. "I'm certain the King's Rangers will find a way to arrange security of that nature should it be necessary." Kouri says, tactfully. "It would be... Odd, for one person to take it all upon themselves. I'm certain you could split the burden with others." She smiles softly nonetheless; she seemed to appreciate the sentiment.

Baldrik felt cold sweat beads form at his forehead as they suddenly stopped. Had I insulted her? Numerous thoughts raced through his head, although his outward appearance seemed relatively intact so far, not showing the distress that he was having as of the very moment. When she finally spoke once more, he mentally sighed to himself in relief. Well, she was right that one man alone responsible to protecting her at night would be odd, he still didn't feel like putting full on trust on new folk that he had never met before. He'd be sure to atleast 'sleep' that night to make sure she didn't get injured.

"Aye, that's very true. But I must ask, these King's Rangers... Did they have anything to do with the Royal Guard, the one that lived to serve you before the destruction of your kingdom? It feels a bit odd to have folk claiming to be remnants of Renalta from no where... Of course not you! Since I'm fully aware you're the princess." After finishing his sentence, he hoped he hadn't insulted her capability of putting trust in other people. He really shouldn't be questioning the Messiah, after all. But he still just wanted to make sure she didn't get hurt by whatever the King's Rangers proposed as a form of test.

There was some level of confusion that could be easily discerned from Kouri's face, before it seemed to dawn on her that Baldrick might be unfamiliar. After all, she didn't know what the legends of her kingdom spoke of. "The King's Rangers... Were, the primary agents of my kingdom. They served the royalty to gather information and deal with matters of internal security. It was not uncommon for those who ascended high in the ranks to become royal guards themselves when their time as King's Rangers had come and gone. If I cannot trust them, then I can trust nobody in these lands." Kouri's voice yet still seemed quite uncertain of the entire situation. She was keeping much to herself, underneath the surface, as all the changes in the world were a lot for her to take in all at once.

When Baldrik had heard the first sentence, regarding the 'primary agents of her kingdom', Baldrik felt a wave of shame hit him full-force. Why hadn't anyone told me of this previously?! How could I have been oblivious to this for so long?! His face quickly began to become red in color as his shame was on full display towards those who he had walked close by. All he felt like doing was to back away and recover himself, but he knew full well it would display he wasn't that determined. Baldrik let the shame come and go quietly, before coughing a bit: the redness in his face now only giving away a hint of what it did previously. "Right uhm... Pardon, I did not know that, princess Kouri. Well, atleast we're hopefully there soon enough so you can disprove them." Even though Baldrik was visibly excited and rather on guard, he felt safe around Kouri, she was the Messiah, after all, why wouldn't he feel safe around her, just as she (hopefully) felt safe with him.

(The Present, King's Ranger's Outpost)

Baldrik Larsson was... quite a bit surprised by the general attitude that Kouri had received from the people that was allegedly her main-agents that had served her. This much distrust towards the Messiah..? How can I know if these guys ever did do anything of the sorts? Or are they self-crowned King's Rangers..? He was genuinely displeased as he was listening in on what was going to happen, specifically that this test seems to revolve entirely around the fact that Kouri wasn't the princess. Mhmph, they ought to know better. I can feel it in my spine, she's the one, no doubt. These people will find it rather tough to disprove her legi-. Baldrik suddenly paled quite considerably as he realised what would happen to the rest of them. The way the old man had chosen his words against Marcus made him paranoid as hell.

The Old Man would kill one of his subordinates for bringing in people here... They killed the last group that went here?! Baldrik quickly nudged Kouri. "Princess Kouri, these people... I think they killed the last group that went here. Otherwise, why would he punish someone so harshly?" He shot a glance towards Marcus, and beaconed for him to ask a solid question: "Did the final pretender come in with a group of people, or not?"

As Marcus enters the chamber, he hears Baldricks' question and sighs. Kouri too, looks at Marcus for an answer. "No. She only came with me." The princess frowns a little as the Commander crosses his arms and looks between them. "Yes, and because of that, we were nearly compromised. Two of my men died helping you retrieve that woman. I can't throw away my men like that."

"Mhm... What do you do to those who fail this task, with a group specifically? And what of this 'being compromised', exactly? You think she'd tell everyone where you were based?"

"Maybe she would, maybe she wouldn't." The Commander replies bluntly as he pulls out an arrow from his quiver, and runs his thumb along the shaft. "We can't take that risk. The Heavens still wish our total and utter annihilation, and we are in no position to even remotely threaten them. If we die, the final spark of Renaltan civilization, culture, writing, artifacts, history--it all dies with us too." He presses his thumb against the back side of the arrowhead, not hard enough to cut himself, but enough so that visible pressure could be seen in the way his hand shook slightly. "We can't afford that kind of risk. That's why we have tests, that's why we are skeptical, that is why we are ruthless when necessary."

Kouri remains silent, seeming to be considering his points, that contrasted against her own ideal of what the Rangers were.

Baldrik took a glance over towards Kouri, seemingly trying to identify what she feels about this, not in a way to try and seem against it or for it: He wasn't sure at all. His points did make sense, given some of the other alternatives. "Mhm. You do have some fair points. Although if we're supposed to get inside there with princess Kouri, I want to know we're treated like guests. Bread and Salt on the table is my family's tradition to show a guest they're under protection. What's yours?" Baldrik looked somewhat over towards Commander, although he had an urge to look at Kouri, just to make sure his eyes arn't playing him a trick. Given that he's not entirely used to staring at her, his heart raced a bit as he looked at the person that'd save these lands and it's people. He had to remain calm around her, nothing to freak out about.

"Guests? Do you think this is some sort of nobleman's game, boy?" The Commander replies angrily before glancing at Kouri, who finally speaks up herself. "No, I'm certain he just doesn't think it prudent to murder everyone who visits his home." The two look each other eye to eye, and though Kouri was able to hide herself behind her political visage, it was clear that the Commander was not so fortunately trained. He looked frustrated, and yet, intrigued. He didn't seem to entirely disbelieve Kouri at this point, but his tone remained harsh and coarse. "Does this look like home to you?" The princess shakes her head, and speaks honestly, a twinge of sorrow in her voice. "No, but nothing does anymore."

Baldrik nodded to him without any form of shame this time, being sure to drive his point towards him this time. He had no intention of seeing any ill harm done towards him or Kouri, or for anyone else that joined them for that matter. As he was about to utter once more, Kouri intervened, causing Baldrik to silence himself and let her speak more thoroughly on her lonesome. As the Commander and Kouri went eye-to-eye, Baldrik realised he might've said one too many words in order to warrant a reaction from the Commander. "Very well, if you wish not to do so, I won't have any problems entering, if the princess allows me to. Just let it be known, I have no ill intentions to any of you, and you have my respect for holding together the King's Rangers for so long." Baldrik shot a glance towards Kouri, and seemed a bit down when it came to his general mood as he was able to identify that she somewhat saddened. He said a bit with a quiet tone, obviously one with respect hidden behind it and almost like a child's tone he sheepishly said "I... Sorry, that I caused those memories to come back."

Kouri glances back to Baldrick, and replies bluntly, though quietly. "Those memories have haunted my every step since I awoke. I need... I need time. You're no burden, I appreciate your loyalty."

Baldrik gave her a sturdy nod once, straightening his posture properly and giving her a friendly smile. He knew she'd pass with flying colours, and that this would all end up well: Plus, she added that he would certainly not be a burden, so his mood sky-rocketed up on high. "And I'll be sure to keep you protected at all times, Messiah!" He said to her with pride put behind his voice.

Kouri looks with momentary surprise at Baldrick, but otherwise keeps silent. The Commander, on the other hand, smirks with amusement as he steps away from the two, glancing toward the entrance to check for security issues.

Rahim and Marcus, The Pond
(Featuring @Brovo)

[ * ]​

Rahim slumped back onto the floor as Mikan left to roam around the rest of the lake's small band of onlookers. He reached for his great-axe and hefted it onto his shoulder as he looked over the landscape. The nearly-defrosted pond bounced a small flash of sunlight into his eyes, and Rahim found himself pouting. His comfortable spot seemed a lot colder now, and a lot less comfortable. Grumbling, he decided to stand up and look over at the largest gathered group. He was not sure where he stood in regards to the Princess, and her guardsman. The Red-skinned one seemed reasonable, if not a little eccentric. His wild declaration earlier had reminded him of a preacher that he'd seen in a Rheinfeld village. The resemblance was almost awkward in its uncanniness.

A few minutes later, the blue-haired woman who called herself Kouri was trying to rally the various members of the onlookers into following her. Rahim shrugged his shoulders as he began to move over to the would-be princess and her protectors. He silently nodded towards the Red-skinned one, waiting for him to lead the way. Rahim looked back to watch Mikan and Kouri interact, and the tall man smiled again, before following after the now-advancing tiefling.

An hour or so into the walking, Rahim approached Marcus at the front of the group, his great-axe leaning atop his left shoulder as he looked down at the armoured tiefling. "So do you have a name, other than 'King's Ranger'?" He said, moving to look forward as he spoke to Marcus. Rahim was sure he could learn to get along with a pragmatic person, like Marcus; but he was unsure he understood the man yet. "I am Rahim."

"Marcus." The tiefling replied simply and bluntly, as he looked Rahim over. It was a cold, calculating look for a moment, before he relaxed a little. "You're far from home. Why?"

Rahim shrugged at the question, his axe bouncing with the motion. "My home did not offer me what I wanted." He continued to look ahead, ignoring the cold stare of the Tiefling. "What is a King's Ranger? Seems like a strange title for a group seeking a Princess."

Marcus keeps treading ahead, his eyes looking around the area from time to time to see if they were being followed. Their group was rather... Noticeable. "King's Rangers are those who have sworn an oath to maintain a vigil for Princess Kouri. Should she return, we are then to serve her and aid her in restoring the kingdom, as her loyal servants. That duty is interpreted differently by each Commander. Our current Commander interprets it to mean espionage and scepticism, so that is how we act."

Rahim pauses for a moment, looking over at Marcus with a sceptical raising of the eyebrow. "It sounds like you disagree with your commander. If so, why do you stay?" For a moment, Rahim was suddenly very curious about Marcus and his motivation. To Rahim, there seemed to be a strange similarity to Rahim's own situation. "Is he a worthy commander, at least?"

"He is..." Marcus pauses for a moment, seeming to search for the right word. "Cunning. I don't doubt his loyalty, but he has lost everything to the cause. That would breed some contempt in any man. As for why I stay..." He glances back at Kouri for a moment, then glances down at the grass before him. His eyes seemed to glaze over for a few moments, as he recalled old memories. "I have my reasons, and they are my own. Just know that I chose not to carry my family name any longer a long time ago."

"I see." Rahim said, looking forward again and moving ahead. "If he shows any unfair contempt against the Blue-haired one, I will kill him. I hope you are not offended by my honest." Rahim reached his spare hand up to his chest, scratching the same scar as he had shown attention to earlier. "I will respect your privacy. I am sure most of us have secrets we would rather keep."

"You could try. You would be dead before you could finish raising your axe." Marcus replies bluntly. "He commands the respect of the King's Rangers. Even I would step in on his behalf to fight you."

For a moment, Rahim thought about replying before he stopped himself. Posturing offered nothing here. "Hopefully, it will not come to that." Rahim said, sighing as his bored fingers moved up to scratch his chin. "Do you have anything you wish to ask of me? I have been the one asking thus far, it is only fair I offer you a chance to be the curious one."

"I already know of where you come from, Amazon. Why you shirked your culture is beyond my knowledge, and in due time, if you should travel with me, I will learn far more by listening than by speaking." He makes a show of it by pulling out a coin from a satchel underneath his cloak and flashing it in front of Rahim's vision. "You spent this on food a few days ago. The merchant you took it from was one of our own, who watches for oddities like you. Why do you think we were sent to the pond right as you and a few others came? ...Though admittedly, there were more than we expected." He places the coin back in his satchel.

Rahim listened patiently as Marcus made a show of what his King's Rangers already knew. Rahim was mostly just amused by Marcus' knowledge of his homeland. As far as he was aware, most over-worlders were blissfully unaware of the Amazons, or of their culture. Rahim remained mostly stoic for the entire conversation…until Marcus pulled out the coin. When the Tiefling explained about knowing the merchant, Rahim looked decidedly unhappy for a second. "Please, I need to know something..." Rahim said, as he looked around suddenly nervous. His discomfort was clearly evident. "Was the merchant offended with the trade? I offered him better prizes for his catch, but he seemed insistent on the coins." He said, eyes meeting Marcus' with an unexpected intensity. Rahim was hoping he had not offended the merchant, seemingly uncaring about the fact that he'd been spied on, or that people were apparently taking particular note of him. After all, people had been sure to watch him ever since he left the Dark Forest. It was hard to stay hidden when you were Seven feet tall, and built like a brick house.

"Er," Marcus puts another foot of distance between himself and Rahim, the stare distinctly making him both uncomfortable and on edge. "Not everyone wants the same things. Coins serve as a thing that everyone agrees on as a... A token. An object that represents value. Look at a farmer, he already has food, so trading him food is pointless. Trade him coins, and he can trade those same coins for something he wants... And, you're not understanding this, are you?" He sighs and looks out at the grass. "Assuming we don't all end up dead, just give your coins to me, and I will get you what you want."

Rahim pauses, trying to understand the point of adding the coins into the simple idea of trading, but completely missing it. Why add a middle-step? If the farmer has food, he merely trades it for materials he needs: Wood from the miller, or leather from the tanner…Who decides what these pointless, otherwise-useless hunks of metal are worth? "That sounds like a promising idea. If you ever feel hungry, I can probably track you some game. I am still an adequate hunter." Rahim nodded, almost as if trying to reinforce his skill as a hunter with his confidence. Truth be told, he was less of a hunter and more of a trapper at the moment. He lacked the equipment needed to hunt. A Great-axe was hardly any use when it came to tracking down anything fast. He'd need a spear, or a sling to catch anything as large as a deer, or larger. "Wait, what were we talking about before?"

Marcus looks at Rahim momentarily, then simply travels on, wordlessly.

Rahim, at the King's Ranger's base.

A few hours later, Rahim stood near the front of the group as a number of archers made it clear that they were being considered a threat. The entire time, Rahim had his axe on his shoulder, the blade lying horizontal to show as little threat as possible. He understood the caution of the individuals, especially as he recalled the trial - and the end result of the trial – that Marcus mentioned earlier.

When the Commander of the King's Rangers made it obvious that he was threatening the rest of the group, Rahim looked down at the elderly man, eyebrow raised. Did this feeble man and his 'few' King's Rangers think they had such an exceptional advantage? Out here, at least, the group surely had the advantage. Rahim looked around the thigh-high grassy clearing with a trapper's eye; trying to spot where the others must have been to afford the man his over-confidence.

Rahim's attention was recaptured as Kouri asked about the safety of the rest of the group. He had not expected the woman to show more concern for the group than for her own safety. It was a respectable thing for a leader-of-people to act in such a way, and Rahim felt himself nodding in approval. The Commander's answer, on the other hand, had him less pleased. The way he had worded it worried him. He recalled the wordsmiths of the Free Holds, and the way they cheated you out of money whenever they could. He was reminded of a particularly slimy man from half a year ago, who had made machinations towards Rahim's enslavement. Rahim didn't say anything, but he took a moment to spin the axe's handle that was resting on his shoulder so that the head of his axe went from horizontally laying across his back, to vertically facing the sky. If the Commander, or any of the King's Rangers, met his gaze, he would just stare back at them, unblinkingly.

The rest of the time was spent waiting, where other people spoke to each other, or to the various leader-figures who were emerging. Rahim watched with a passive caution, keeping an eye on the Commander whenever possible. Rahim was amongst the first to follow Kouri into the Ranger's base. He glared down at the following Commander, ready to plant him into the ground if he made a single threatening motion towards himself.

With the introduction of Hanus and James, Rahim only nodded respectfully towards them. He had no major issue towards either of them; and at least they seemed decent enough. His eyes lingered longer on the dark-skinned elf than the illusionist. There was something…threatening about him. Not in any active sort of way; a sort of instinctual threat that one might feel dancing along their nape when meeting a large, unknown dog. Rahim's grip on his axe remained sturdy, as he glanced around the now-larger group of Rangers. His eyes lingered on the taunting Commander again, as he shamelessly imagined how satisfying it would be to introduce the man to the ground underfoot. When he noticed Kouri look at the people who had travelled with her, seemingly in a bid for some self-assurance, Rahim stepped forward and beside her. Wordlessly, he nodded respectfully towards the woman, before turning to face the Commander again. "This talk is pointless. You do not believe, and she is resolute. If you are done with scare tactics and threats against us all, we can get on with this." Rahim said, looking at the Commander with a stoic face that was completely unphased by the man and his threats. He looked behind him to try and catch the gaze of the blue-haired woman, before offering a small smirk of confidence. Rahim did not have any fear of the Commander; he hoped that his confidence might inspire the seemingly misplaced woman.

After that, Rahim returned to being the silent sentinel; waiting for the world to turn, or for the earth to swallow him up.

Dean & Amaia | Dean and Kouri
Peer Bonding and Disrespecting Authority​

Dean looked out along the pond at the different people gathered there. It seemed Kouri was more than competent at drawing a crowd, with as many different 'unique individuals' as you would find at any seedy bar or tavern. There were your fanatics that seemed all too prepared to accept her as some kind of saviour, there were those who were there, by some coincidence for the thrill of adventure, and of course there were undoubtedly those like him; skeptical of the entire situation but enticed along by whatever reasoning.

Along the edge of the pond he spotted a woman who was sporting a face not unlike the one he had put on, a smile, seemingly attempting to welcome conversation, but he sensed that familiar awkwardness behind it. In truth it relieved him to see someone with the same strategy. He closed in on the woman a bit and extended a hand to shake. "Are you looking for prey or conversation?"

Amaia hesitated a moment before shaking the man's hand, and her false smile edged into one born of true amusement at his question. "I don't see why it can't be both at once, but we'll start with conversation and see how it goes." She paused, looked to see if anyone else was nearby, then shrugged a shoulder. "I'm Amaia. Gave a fake name to the one currently fawning over the supposed princess, but if I'm going to stick around I might as well give the real one. I don't think I caught your name as you were diving into the pond."

Try as he might, Dean wasn't able to completely stifle the chuckle brought out by Amaia. "I feel even I might hesitate giving my real name to that particular brand of fanaticism, glad I got the real one out of you. Also you didn't catch it because I don't usually shout my name as I run into heroics, but my friends call me Dean. Absolute pleasure to meet you."

"A pleasure indeed." Amaia glanced round the pond then back to Dean with a slight smirk. "So, you dove into a pond to rescue one lovely maiden and emerged with three. I can't help but feel a little jealous. Are you always that lucky, or were the gods smiling upon you this day?"

He laughed nervously and rubbed the back of his head, feeling a bit flushed in the face. Dean then reflected on his past few days. Ryker had left him to go Gods know where, a particularly nasty bear had made off with his food leaving him to forage for food in the woods without a short bow or proper hunting supplies, and the hot days had made him grumpy, sweaty and presumably left him smelling none too rosy. "I feel I was just due for a bit of good luck by now." He stated simply, knowing the three women more than balanced any deficit of luck he'd been having. "I suppose you- really I suppose everyone here saw my turn of heroics at the pond, eh?" He replied, the familiar feeling of blushed cheeks creeping forth at the display he had apparently put forward for everyone. Glancing at Amaia again though, he found he didn't mind so long as she had been even mildly impressed.

Amaia's smirk edged a few notches closer to a grin as she noted his embarrassment. "Almost certainly, and if they didn't see it then the tale is sure to spread by nightfall. It's not every day you see a site straight out of legend, the gallant hero leaping, literally in this case, into danger to save a damsel in distress. It was quite a sight." She paused for a moment, looking over toward Kouri for a moment, then gave a little laugh. "Then again, maybe not considering the competition. Do you think she is what she says she is?"

Dean continued to flush for a second until he took the repercussions into consideration. Surely a legend telling of his heroic deeds could only help him carve a path as a famed adventurer? Amaia would then be able to notice his expression change quite suddenly, brightening into a mirror of her own amusement except his at the prospect of fame and glory. As she continued however his brow would furrow and he'd begin to slowly stroke his chin in reflection. "I'm sure we've both heard the legends. I saw her down there. She was inside a block of ice, just like the stories say she would be. Then again who knows what actually happened a thousand years ago? Bit of a tricky thing to say she's a millenia old, but it'd be quite a scam to pull if she isn't. Convenient there's such a crowd around to witness her return." He paused then to collect his thoughts, looking to the man that had all but fainted at the sight of the Princess he pointed. "But I will say you won't see me throwing myself at her feet to kiss her toes, or kneeling anytime soon..." his gaze once again fell to her, trying to guage her ability in a fight, finally resting his eyes on hers. "Assuming of course you'll be around to witness it, should I eventually kneel."

She nodded slowly, mulling over Dean's answer. "Oh, I'm sure I'll be around for a while to witness all sorts of things, kneeling and otherwise. Legendary princess or not, she should at the very least be amusing to follow to see what she gets up to. I'll join you amongst the standing folks though. Kneeling never has suited me, and I doubt she'll change that." One side of her mouth twitched upward, giving her smile a mischievous twist. "Perhaps we could make a game out of it, see how long it takes her to get irritated at us lowly peons showing her little respect and no deference. You interested?"

Dean bit his lower lip in quiet contemplation. Aggravating the woman did seem tempting. "I feel it might tarnish my budding reputation as a hero of legend if I went around disrespecting possible royalty..." he sighed, giving up the notion of actively seeking to annoy the Princess "No, I shouldn't, Ryker would have my head if he ever caught wind. Counter offer, I bet you that you can't bring her to her breaking point, and that even as a possible impostor, her 'nobility' won't let her cuss you out."

"I'll take that bet. You've no idea how much of a nuisance I can be when I'm determined." Amaia's grin slowly faded into a perplexed expression as she ran what he'd said through her mind again. "Wait, Ryker? The monster hunter? Why would he want anything to do with your head? No offense, but the man's a legend in his own right, and you're, well, not."

"Then it's a deal" he chuckled, once again putting his hand out to shake on, but then Dean noticed the look on her face, and withdrew somewhat nervously. As she spoke, it became clear that she was familiar with his master, and at least mildly interested in their connection. When she asked her question he tried to straighten out his posture, to appear as mature as possible. "He's teaching me the business. I'm his apprentice. He says everyone has to start somewhere, and the worst I can do is die." Calmly he rested his on his belt and shrugged slightly. "I must be an alright student as I'm still alive, right?"

Amaia stared at Dean blankly for a few seconds, then a laugh bubbled forth, a quick expression of pure amusement. As it died down, she shook her head slowly, a pleasant smile on her face once more. "Wise words, and I suppose you're right. I guess what they say about books and covers is true. I had you pegged as one of those fellows who wanted to be a knight and rescue damsels from dragons, not a monster hunter. Bit of a dirtier job, that. I'm a monster hunter myself, as it so happens, so I should know." She looked Dean over with an appraising eye and nodded once in approval. "You've certainly got the build for wrestling with monsters. If Ryker is even a quarter of what the stories make of him, then I've no doubt he'll make a fine slayer out of you. Why are you here playing the hero out here rather than being his attentive student anyway? Do you know how many people would kill for a chance to learn from that man?"

The truth of the matter was that Dean was all too aware of how many would love the opportunity to learn from Ryker, and he was one of them. Certainly in their travels he had picked up on a few things, but ultimately he wasn't sure he could describe what they had as a true apprenticeship. It might have been due to his young age, or an unwillingness to throw himself at danger, but Dean had primarily been relegated to simple tasks like sword mending and setting up camp than he had been in participating in slaying monsters. Still it was nice to hear someone hold even a small amount of faith in him. "At the end of the day Knights answer to their King or Queen, Slayers answer only to themselves. I like that free, and thank you, I suppose I'll try not to let either of you down now." The second part of her question left him somewhat less sure how to answer. There was little glory or valor in admitting Ryker ditched him (and not for the first time) and he wouldn't want her thinking poorly of him after he had just announced himself as Ryker's apprentice. A slight panic struck through him, but thankfully his mind and lips acted on their own. "We were outside of a nearby town tracking a local werewolf when we were ambushed by a group of Ryker's rivals, in the initial conflict we were separated and when I tried to head them off I found two sets of tracks, they led me on this path and I've been hoping I chose the right one since." Dean stood slightly stunned of himself, somewhat impressed by his own lie.

"Rivals attacked him, eh? Envy can make people do stupid things, that's for sure." Amaia noted something a bit odd with Dean's manner, but she brushed it off as simple embarrassment at getting separated. "For what it's worth, I hope you picked the right trail too, and not just because I'd like to meet Ryker myself. If nothing else, I'm sure he'll be able to track you down after dealing with whatever fools decided to pick a fight with him. Are you going to come along and see this test the tiefling was babbling about? Should make for some entertainment, or at the very least something to do until you meet up with Ryker again. Oh, and you've got a bet to lose, of course."

"Yeah." He said letting a quiet, nervous laugh slip out "Envy is a heck of a thing like that... But I'm sure I've got the right trail, and I'll be sure to introduce you when we eventually find him! As for me, the damsel I saved has asked for my services in protecting her." He said as he puffed out his chest, proud and boastful. "So I'll be coming along for the test at least, collecting my winnings from this bet will only make it all the sweeter." A smile broad across his face he once again put his hand out to shake and finally seal the deal.

"Moonlighting as a hero first and now a bodyguard? You get around." Amaia laughed again and took his hand, shaking it firmly. "We'll just have to see about that bet. I intend to win no matter the cost."

"I heard something once about variety being the spice of life. Why limit myself to just slaying monsters when chances for glory and riches lie in every avenue?" She seemed very sure of herself, and Dean almost doubted the faith h had placed in Kouri, but it was no time for second guesses "...Like making easy to win bets with overconfident colleagues." He said with a wink.

[●●●]​

The mixture of tall grass and quiet made Dean uneasy. What were surely minutes seemed like hours to the young man as his imagination filled the field around them with unknown terrors. As luck would have it, he was partially right, and the field was in fact filled with potential danger. As figures began popping up from the grass cloaked in mottled greens he reached instinctively for his sword, not thrilled with the developing situation. He looked to those in the group, hoping they'd be an asset in the fight, but it seemed unnecessary as at least any initial hostility was put to rest, and what now appeared to be the King's Rangers Marcus had mentioned rushed them inside their hideout. It smelled somewhat musty in Dean opinion. The kind of smell you'd expect of an rarely used attic or basement, except this was clearly anything but. There were the Ranger's themselves and evenServants rushing about making everything as clean as they could. As the two men ahead of them introduced themselves, Dean could feel the situation quiet down. Suddenly there was no more current stress. He felt tempted to approach the Princess then, approaching from behind he cleared his throat as he neared and put on a friendly face. "So..." he said simply "Everything you hoped for?"

Kouri turns back, looking at Dean. She kept a fairly neutral expression, though her eyes seemed a whirlwind of emotions. Most strongly, uncertainty. "I had hoped for less paranoia, certainly."

He stood quiet for a second, arms crossed in front of his chest, unsure what to say. "It's to be expected of people when confronted with a legend to project a bit of paranoia though isn't it? There's a lot of gray area to uncover if you're to be believed."

She pauses for a moment, and nods in agreement. "Yes, though, these are not the King's Rangers I once knew. They're far more... Cold. Do they not protect the villages here?"

"Can't say they ever stood up on my behalf. For every legend there is about who you may or may not be, there's another for a time when the King's Rangers should have been there but weren't. In fact when we first saw them I recognized them by their colors as a group of vigilantes, but not as the Rangers themselves. Occasionally you might hear a story of the Rangers making a stand, but those are few and far between." He stood shaking his head there for a moment, looking at the men around him, and just feeling as if despite their best efforts, this organization didn't have the resources to help anyone. He looked back to her then, unsure where her focus lied, but he didn't think she seemed overly concerned about her own fate. "You don't seem nervous. Do you actually believe you're Kouri?"

"Do I believe who I say I am? Yes." Kouri replies plainly. She then takes a deep breath and sighs, releasing a little tension she was trying to hide. She seemed to avoid speaking further ill of the current King's Rangers, being that she was surrounded by them. "I am who I am. Whether this test succeeds or fails, I will still be who I am. If their test is even remotely accurate, I will succeed with ease." She rubs her left wrist, a little fear finally showing through. She was repressing far more than that, however, Dean couldn't discern what. "I cannot feign a lack of fear, though. I would rather not perish being accused of a falsehood... At least none of you will pay the same price, though. At least I managed that."

"I was going to ask about that." He replied, equally plainly. Not trying to frighten her, but aware that he'd be doing so either way. "Let's say I do believe you, I don't have any tangible reason not to afterall. After a thousand years, you think their test will be accurate?" Looking around him he was left to wonder what the point of it was. "If you're set on your course either way, and know who you are, what can these men offer but what they have here?" Which wasn't much, but he assumed likely correctly, that anything was more than Kouri had already.

Kouri remained silent about the test. She had little to offer on that than she had likely already considered herself. Nonetheless, the implication that the test was not accurate did not sit well with her judging by the frown on her face. She kept a steady tone as she replied. "Resources. Manpower. Intelligence. Information about the world I am in now. Specialists to help me get from place to place. If these King's Rangers are anything like the ones I grew up with, they will have other bases for me to use on my journey too. Our journey, perhaps, if I'm not being too presumptuous."

Kouri's silence was enough for Dean to determine her feelings regarding the test "A carnival illusionist, a military commander and a nobleman? Seems the whole caste of humanity is covered from top to bottom. Must be some resources to speak of I suppose." He thought for a moment. "I'm following the spritely one, she's paying me... something? Eventually? So you can call it our journey as long as it's her journey. That said I'll side with you before letting these 'Rangers' get to you."

"Thank you." Kouri nods with approval to Dean, as the Commander rolls his eyes and crosses his arms over his chest. "Your first follower is a peasant. Congratulations on achieving less than mediocrity." The Princess glances back at the King's Ranger, and smiles politely. "I will do more in one year than you will in one lifetime, and it will start with this."

Dean starts to smile at Kouri's thanks, until the Commander cut in. Ryker's words flashed through his mind like white heat Don't let others belittle where you come from. You may smell of shit and handle it daily, but damn if you'll let them mock you for it. he turned to face the Commander face to face, looking much less polite than Kouri did "Excuse me? Peasant? This 'peasant' probably has more experience than half your damn Rangers. Bunch of skulkers." He spat at his feet to emphasize his distaste of the Commander.

Hanus chuckles in the background, and though the Commander glared at him, the dark skinned elf seemed not to be intimidated in the least. "Nu, vy sovershenno glupo. (Well, you're quite stupid.)" Hanus remarks in his mother tongue, though it sounded like complete gibberish to Dean. "What did you say?" The Commander asks in a rather irate fashion. "Just by the way he holds himself, you would find yourself far more challenged than you think... Men who have nothing to lose don't hold anything back, Commander." The King's Ranger looks back at Dean, and shakes his head. "True. You have my apologies, I am simply used to most peasants being rather... Inept, in the ways of war."

Dean raised a quizzical eyebrow towards the elf as he spoke, but couldn't make sense of what was said. As the Commander spoke however, he gave a silent reply in the form of a finger in his general direction. Looking back to Kouri, an apologetic look on his face. "He started it."

Kouri simply looks up at the ceiling for a moment, hands crossed behind her back as she feigns being blissfully unaware. "Oh, I'm sure, I'm sure... Oh, you're done? Marvelous." Her tone was teasing towards Dean. It seemed that the entire episode had more amused her than upset her.

With a smirk plain on his face he raises his hands in mock defeat at Kouri. "We're done, I swear it mi'lady unless of course our dear Commander has a taste for more hostility."

The Commander doesn't seem to grace Dean with a response, instead focusing his attention elsewhere--intentionally, at that. "I wonder if his soul is as scarred as his face." Kouri remarks quietly, and sympathetically.

"Leadership is a hefty burden to bear." He said, alluding to both the current state of the Commander and the future Kouri was asking for herself. "As scarred as he may be externally I'm sure any Ranger lost weighs more than I have any right to say."

Kouri doesn't reply. She simply listens and considers Dean's words, as she looks at him and manages a small, uncertain smile, though the corners of her lips seemed to waver momentarily.

"Just an opinion though. You'd have to get to know him to be sure. Not personally interested in that."

"We'll see." She says, echoing the Commander's words from earlier.

"It seems plenty of things should come to light in time. Color me excited." He replied honestly.

Zhong LiWei and Samuel Mourn de Vandestryker en Karnarvon the 4th - Trips Are Fastest When Filled With Words.
(A Collab Between @Kadaeux and @Soulless )​

The travel made LiWei nervous. Too many people together was bound to catch the attention of ne'er-do-wells. He debated if he should even stay here with these strangers. If it turned out this supposed mythological princess wasn't real, would he be on the hook for being there? Would he be executed or worse? He was still unfamiliar with Renalta and was far too new to know what he should expect. However, he had to admit even in his country there were legends about heros being brought together through the terrible yoke of fate. It would be foolish to try and refuse.

He decided he should try and discuss with someone more educated about the politics of this land. This, Samuel fellow, carried himself with the haughty, self-confident ease of someone who never had to know the humiliation of scrabbling for food and shelter. He also seemed to be quite the powerful mage and possibly an even better ally, if LiWei played his cards right. He cleared his throat as they walked, keeping his voice low. "Excuse me, Samuel Morn de... uhm... Van der stryker..." Damn, what an obnoxious name... "I apologize, good sir, as you can probably tell, I am not so good at conversation... Would it be too bothersome to give me a conversation for a little bit of time?" he asked. Gods, he hated how this language made him sound like a right village idiot. He could only hope he could leverage for some pity, as much as that hurt his pride.

Samuel's seat swayed as he rode on his little camp chair hung across the Waral's horns. He looked down at the odd man and listened to him. "I don't suppose it could hurt, you don't look like any verborumancer i've met before. Though I confess, I don't think i've met anyone quite like yourself." He admitted relaxedly watching Kouri with a practiced inattention.

"I am Zhong LiWei; my first name is LiWei. Think of it as giving me lee way for my poor speaking. I am from far land, you may have heard, we sometimes trade with spice and silks. I am unfortunately not knowing of the political surroundings of her royalty Kouri. " LiWei put on a frigidly polite smile and looked to to Samuel as if they were on equal level. "You appeared to be a very educated man and I thought, I would be in your debt if you would also educate me on this subject."

Samuel cocked his head slightly glancing to LiWei, did the strange little foreigner make a joke? Or was it an accent thing? In the end he wasn't sure and ignored it in favour of the rest of his speech.

"Well, the first thing to know is that, flattery will get you far with nobles in most circles, and I am no exception." He chuckled. "But understand, the best I can do is give you a basic idea, the subject is one of tumultuous tempestuous debate, and in the words of my Mentor Youthere a half history, half religion with a quart of fairy tale into the bargain."

He leaned back and considered his approach to the question. "Kouri was, note that I use past tense as this happened some thousand years ago," He coughed politely and resumed, "Kouri was beloved by the people, a real hero to the low folk especially, and it's easy to see why, a believer in doing right for right, even many nobles looked up to her. And since many nations of her time considered female heirs property to be bargained for security and alliances she was a rare creature. And I would wager still is."

His voice slipped into an almost professorial, even hypnotic cadence, that one does when one is reciting learned knowledge. "It is said that an angel of the gods, or perhaps one of the gods themselves, desired Kouri for a bride, and that he, or it, demanded her hand from her father, and that Kouri refused, and as one might guess, refusing the gods does wonders for ones longevity, shortening it that is." He nodded almost to himself, "So scorned the original kingdom of Renalta was destroyed in a fit of pique by a being who's attitudes demonstrate an unfitness for the power they wield. Kouri vanished that day it is said. Over the centuries the more plebian masses, such as the Rheinfeld pigs, seem to think that she is an unstable heretical witch, an institutionalised bigotry against spellcasters endemic to the nation."

"It is understood, though bear in mind this is hardly something that has been tested, that to like Kouri is acceptable, but to aid her is to enrage the gods and earn their ire and violence." He shrugged, "But as I said, much of what is 'known' is believed as fairytale and many do not even believe she exists, some prophets say that she would return and bring the gods low to rebuild her kingdom and return true justice to the world." He paused to consider his next words. "Politically, her presence, if verified and I believe it will be, will shake up the world. She will be the target of many suitors and their like, to improve their own legitimacy or improve their station in the world."

"Then there are men like me, for whom courting Kouri would be it's own reward, for any man who would deny the allure of a beautiful woman with the courage and conviction to deny the gods themselves is no man at all." He stopped. Acting as if the last outburst was a bout of boyish infatuation allowed to peek through.

LiWei would be lying if he said he understood all the connotations of Samuel's speech- but he picked up on what he considered important. Politics were too familiar. Controversy of the legitimacy of a figure was something he knew well. However, this talk of angering gods unnerved him. What were the gods of this place like? Were they any different from the deities his family honored? And of course, this man spoke with judgement laden in his words- LiWei didn't understand plebian, but he understood what it meant to call a group of people pigs and low folk. LiWei smiled to himself; from Samuel's height on his lofty seat, every other person must be low in comparison.

And then there was that confession. That made his gaze narrow- just a hair. Was Samuel testing him? Sussing out potential competition? He couldn't be sure.

"Thank you so much, good gentleman," he finally spoke after listening, interrupting with only the occasional 'hm' and 'ah'. "You are a noble, as you said. It is only natural you should be to court Kouri with success. Royalty and nobility, to be accompanying each other like moon and stars," he spoke, quietly, in hopes of not being heard by said royalty. LiWei would see how far this flattery would get him. If this Kouri was a fake, he would probably need a friend in a high place to bail him out.

"By the way, if it is true that helping her would anger the gods, would you really want that on yourself?"

Samuel laughed. "Me, concerned about the gods? Oh they are fearsome creatures of that I have little doubt, and their power may be very real." He nodded sagely. "But they are no gods of mine, for I could not worship something that permits such suffering to exist."

He shrugged. "To challenge a god... now that is soemthing worthy of the stories is it not, even where you come from?" He asked curiously. "To do what it is believed cannot be done?" He smiled. "There is greatness in us all LiWei, from the feeblest peasant to the mightiest of emperors, we all have a place to play in the tapestry of history. A fulcrum point where a single decision by even the seemingly most insignificant point can change a world, though such an action may never go credited." He explained. "Perhaps just you joining us may change the course of history, Perhaps my presence can redirect the fate of bloodlines, perhaps the presence of the post-man Pat may change the fates of nations with a single delivered letter."

He looked fully at LiWei his expression open and unjudging of the curious foreigner. "And tell me LiWei, would not challenging an defeating the gods not be on of the most significant fulcrum points in all time?"

LiWei pulled the brim up on his hat to meet Samuel's gaze. "You speak with all ambitions expected of a noble courting a woman who might be enemy of gods."He smiled back."I do not believe I am that significant, only lucky. In longer history, even if we are fulcrum that defeated the gods, we would eventually be not more remembered than losers in war. It is maybe better to enjoy glory for our own self."

"If you are so confident Kouri is Kouri then I hope you have the strength like your speech. I am looking forward to seeing what ends up our fates. Myself I am not so powerful, I can not even do any magic like you."LiWei maintained his smile, friendly and harmless even when being less honest than he could be.

Samuel laughed richly. "Magic doth not make the man. Should you catch me without my ability to summon there is no doubt you, or anyone else probably from this party, could beat me like a rambunctious child who needs to be put in his place." He shrugged. "As for conviction, confidence is as often a mask as fact. Yes I am certain, and I would like to think my turn of words could in turn convince others, it is a heritage believed to be the province of nobles, but demonstrated by all too few."

LiWei shook his head a bit. "I only hope your belief is true, or else you will look very silly and many of us might be in trouble for being seen with her. But it is true you have good language. Consider me convinced for now, someone educated like you believes so strongly."

Samuel nodded. "If it all goes wrong, well, Waral here," he scratched the triceratops over an eye-ridge, "is the second tamest of the things I can summon. I may not be a fighter, but I can protect myself. And if these rangers turn out to be vengeful little children, then we have bigger problems to deal with."

LiWei chuckled a bit despite himself at the affectionate gesture."Well if she is real, we will probably need your words and your summoning in equal importance. But if the journey ever turns out too hard for you, I won't blame you to choose a noble's luxury life in the end."

Samuel smiled politely. "I have been wandering the world for some years now, I may be of noble blood, and act like it, but the beauty is in living the life of an adventurer, while maintaining a noble outlook..." He paused dramatically. "Though perhaps the fact I ride Waral here dissuades the more weekend banditry folk."

LiWei attempted to pat one of Waral's legs himself. He wondered, briefly, if one of his shields could defend himself from it. But he didn't want anyone to know so much about him for now. It would be better if he was just considered a weird traveler with no weapons and nothing in the way of defense. "Hm, what a romantic outlook. Would you believe me if I told you I am from similar life where I come from?" He grinned. "I would have to ask you not to tell others if you believe me."

Samuel shrugged. "I don't see why I should disbelieve, I know nothing about your people or lands, so I can either take you at your word, or assume you're a great liar." He said plainly. "I see no reason to believe you are a Liar at the moment."

LiWei smiled and rubbed at one of the bandages on his arm. "How generous of you."

Status
Not open for further replies.