The Legend of Heroes II: Trials by the Light (closed signups)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, so if we are attacked by animals, we can't perform any actions that will cause bloodshed? While killing monsters is daijoubu? Are Guilders not allowed to eat meat/hunt animals too then? No fishing and such?

I edited my post.

Wait, so if we are attacked by animals, we can't perform any actions that will cause bloodshed? While killing monsters is daijoubu? Are Guilders not allowed to eat meat/hunt animals too then? No fishing and such?
No, no, they can. It depends on the circumstances. Warden's example happened when during a Co-GM chapter my co-gm set up a coliseum scene which forced those taking part to have to fight against some wolves. I had some issues with this particular instance because it kinda goes against the tone of what I'm hoping to achieve with this rp and what the characters should be attempting to strive for when the characters involved are killing animals for sport. Y'know? But it was a learning experience for everyone inside the rp; Warden had newly joined the rp and my co-gm was trying their first attempt at gming inside the rp. It was also the rp's first attempt at doing Co-GM chapters so it was also a learning experience for me in needing to better convey things like this. It happens.

Although saying all this, if a Guilder's able to subdue an attacking animal without causing bloodshed then... hey, even more power to them! Again though, circumstances.

Guilders can eat meat and fish. Animal hunting I'm not too sure... probably not because there's no lacking for food that can be purchased? Hunting's a bit of a morally grey area I think, something that will need a bit of a think from me. We've never had a situation or scene where a character would want to do that. I think though that for the tone of this rp, a Guilder who did do hunting would probably only be doing it to test their skills - y'know, seeing whether or not they can successfully stalk an animal without being spotted etcetc without going so far as to kill them for the sake of it.

Hey, can we make our own towns or is there a predetermined map?
Sometimes, the excitement's enough to get carried away... and I was just trying to help! Sorry!

I planned for my character to grow up in a village, train to be a knight (of some sort), and then... I don't know. Something along those lines.

Estefania's from a queendom I just made up. People are generally given freedom to make what they want, so long as it doesn't affect the overall arc! If you aren't sure as to what kind of extent your ideas may have, you can always ask Pach! :3c

Actually do ask Pach lmao and keep in mind things are always prone to revision, not to mention take a long time to execute, so excessive world-building is kinda naw

But there's already a set continent, and countries, which if I'm not mistaken are at the first page of the ooc? Or was it the IC? The premise is to build within that world.

Last edited:
Thank you.

I just don't want to step on any toes. I know there's a world to expand on. In the meantime, I'll look at a map.

So I have a question about another character, who would be classified as an elemental warlock. He is not skilled in the abilities he has, and was trapped in a magical lamp for a very long time before he discovered these latent abilities hidden inside of him. Almost all of it, he was asleep, until around the end when his lamp had fallen over and clattered against the ground. Then which had taken him a few days to realize he was able to use these abilities. Would that be able to work?

So I have a question about another character, who would be classified as an elemental warlock. He is not skilled in the abilities he has, and was trapped in a magical lamp for a very long time before he discovered these latent abilities hidden inside of him. Almost all of it, he was asleep, until around the end when his lamp had fallen over and clattered against the ground. Then which had taken him a few days to realize he was able to use these abilities. Would that be able to work?
Not sure about the lamp bit... How'd he get in there? How long was 'a very long time', exactly? There was a genie-like character idea for a while and Pach ended up saying no to that, but considering this is a bit different Pach'll have the final call on that.

There's nothing wrong with just a normal elemental warlock, though. One with a phobia of lamps? :P

Basically what @Cephalogod said. I'd need more details. In general it sounds a bit too unusual for me and considering I veto'd another genie esque lamp character before I probably wouldn't take to this idea either. Something about it rubs me the wrong way. But idk, depends on what the CS looks like and such.

As a headsup, I'm going to be closing applications for the rp tomorrow!

• Thank You
Reactions: IceChateau777
[spoili]Hey, I was at the hospital.

I have mental breakdowns, suicide issues and stuff... but it's all good.

This shouldn't impede my process on the sheet... I'm working with you on some elements.[/spoili]

Sigrún should be up by then.
Not sure if she's over powered, but... I am sure she'll work.

Last edited:
I can fill out a sheet, that way you could get the whole description for him, if you would like to know more about him. He's not that big of a character, as he was actually forced into the lamp, and he isn't really a genie either so it would be better as well I would suppose.

Sorry for speaking on Pach's behalf but yes, if you're still interested in applying please do fill out a complete character sheet as soon as possible. You don't need to wait for Pach to give the okay to do so. The deadline is coming up fast! :)

By 'fast' he means 'today'. So vroom vroom kiddos~

giphy.gif

Appearance
--pixiv-fantasia-and-pixiv-fantasia-wizard-and-knight-drawn-by-kalnow--6a7142d67629a96bef5245c7edef6cb1.jpg
Sigrun has long, greyish brown hair (it appears green in the darkness) that is worn in twin braids, a ponytail, or down (especially when the situation demands formality). Daunting, hazel eyes shine from her battered helm. Due to a combat scar, her right eye has a scar from the top of the eyebrow down to the top of her cheek. Because of that scar (not pictured here), while she can see through it, her eye has limited vision (as in, blurred, if not completely blind). To remedy this, Sigrun covers her right eye with it. When covering isn't possible, she will wear a monocle over it.

Her nose appears to have an aquiline bump with a pointed tip. Sparse freckles splay around her face. With her athletic body, she stands at an intimidating 5 ft, 11 in (181.32 cm). Sigrun's armor is made from one of the blacksmiths of her land, Ǫrvar.

~ Name ~
Sigrún "Syd" Helmsdottir

~ Age ~

~ Birthday ~
December 9

Rank
H
(she's actually getting into the swing of things)

Class
Axe Battler?
(The term "Barbarian" would be an unjust understatement!)

Weapon
Sigrun prefers fighting with a seven-foot halberd. The halberd is around six to nine pounds, which accommodates for striking and easy carrying.

The halberd bears an insignia that looks like a whirlpool on the side of the blade. The center of it has an old fashioned "S", which presumably stands for her name, or "Secret". The Halberd is custom made for the young Axe Battler. The halberd's thin pole allows her to use it as an axe and as a polearm. The polearm makes her halberd easy to hover and swerve around enemies. She likes how versatile her weapon is.

~ Personality ~
On the surface, Sigrun looks like a hard, calculating soldier. Having spent her time as a nomad and later a Guilder, Sigrun's got the face of a robot and a heart of a true soldier (well, figuratively!).

Intelligent // Observant
To those she doesn't know, Sigrun looks like an introverted, cold-hearted warrior. Quiet, observant, reserved, and akin to a brick wall. Deep down, Sigrun is an analytical note taker. She learned not to judge people by appearance, but rather by multiple impressions (be it with her or someone else), actions, and their style (to an extent). If she is spoken to, she responds accordingly.

If the situation calls for her to speak first, Sigrun prefers as few words as possible. In her Alesuni tribe, she made few allies. While she can observe a person – even footprints – her social skills fall short. "Why do they look with pressing eyes?" she says. As with all humans, however, she is prone to the occasional error of misinterpretations. In her tribe, the Axe Men called her "The Brainy Shield", as her observations served her well during the hunt. Unfortunately, her knowledge is limited to elements of her homeland (The Alesuni tribe, her halberd, folk music (sang in the village), and fish (they had LOTS of them!) For this reason, she's got a dry sense of humor.

Assumed to be Cold and Disdainful
"Perhaps you shouldn't look at people without asking. It provokes them."
Her cold, distant countenance does not represent a bloodlust or the thrill of death. Behind that dark gaze is the sadness of seeing death. Her time in the tribe allotted her some time to overcome this fear. When she was seven, Sigrun stepped on a mouse looking for its mother. The accidental death made the girl cry so bad that it left an indelible scar. Even after her time in the tribe, Sigrun still prefers injury over death.

She considers humanity as neutral – their choices, endeavors, and impressions determine their paths. Sigrun has no pleasure giving humans pain. If a lecture is permissible, Sigrun isn't as great of an orator. If it calls for it, her words are selectively sharp and bland. Her emotions are not worth one's knowledge; her motives are! When she is vexed because you broke her pendant, she'll repeat: "Tell me everything, since you'll fix the pendant you damaged." When she is angry, her demeanor becomes more authoritative and strict.

This is not to say, however, that she never had "idiots" or "faux idols". Even back in her tribe, Sigrun had a fair share of those. For now, she has learned not to face them unless they persist. If they persist, she asks. If they so much as annoy them, she will use her words. It's a Herculean effort to make Sigrun angry. When she does exhibit anger, while her logic takes a back seat, Sigrun will fight until the end.

Assertive // Steadfast ~ Unlike a stereotypical "barbarian", Sigrun is capable of exerting sweet words over something she wants. If there's that golden shield, she will do whatever it takes to get it. If there are situations that call against having said item, she will back down. Once she sets her mind to a goal, Sigrun will do anything to reach it. She is not afraid to voice her opinions (and some find them harsh!) on matters. However, being mean isn't her intent. If she sees it appropriate to do so, she will apologize. She avoids "useless" conflict by default. She abhors those who waste her time. If she's in a group, she retains absolute loyalty until the end or if she finds her trust misplaced.

Patient // Misunderstood
"It's... not like I want friends... I just want to understand how everyone talks like they have allies... when I have none!"
Sigrun is not a lady of ice, nor would it be accurate to portray her as such. If you wish to befriend her, give her some time. It likely means she's still trying to know you! That said, Sigrun prefers thinking over acting. She loves reading books and scriptures. One work in particular, Thor the Heart, is one of her favorite tales. Sigrun finds pleasure in knowing about her world. The Guilders seem like a friendly group of friends. In fact, it takes time to get to see a different side of Sigrun. Ever since she was ten years old, Thor taught her not to speak unless given permission. As her family dealt with strict punishment, her relaxed, quiet demeanor came with it!

Propelled // Empathetic
"Life is filled with absolute tranquility. Use it as you will, for happiness doesn't last."
Sigrun's energy shows outside with nature. If you can see her frolicking in the woods somewhere or singing a folk tune, she's finding a way to express herself. Since stepping on the poor mouse, Sigrun is hesitant to fight with nature. When she was a shepherd, Sigrun learned how to guide and follow animals. While she has limited taming skills, her love for nature is endless. Not even having hay fever deters her from the pouring sun! If someone is hurt, she will usually be the first to show gratitude to them. While her disposition exclaims otherwise, Sigrun possesses a strong sense of humanity. She will be the first to know about local herbs (pastoralist nomads treated to this area!), and she'll be one of the first ones to volunteer for assistance. Through nature, this is where you can see her smile, and even laugh.

Biography
Sigrun Helmdottir is the only daughter and child of Brynja and Thorbjorn Helmsdottir. The Helmsdottir family hails from the village of Alesund. It is the home of many pastoralist nomads. When she turned seven years old, her family invited her to go to the eastern village (Apparmuit). After that, Sigrun and her father went to hunt for food. At first, she just watched her father hunt.

One day, the girl was heading back to the countryside. As she walked, a noticeable crunch caught her attention. The young girl accidentally crunched her feet on a mouse – a baby one! Oh, how the young girl mourned for its loss. Thor took the mouse and buried it behind a tree. The girl then asked: "Is it normal to see them die?" His response concluded that life and death, indeed, coincide with each other. The villagers stayed in the village most of their lives.

Meanwhile, they taught the girl how to hunt animals, buy food, and travel. When she lived with her parents, they took care of shepherding and farming. Her father was a leader of the Yggdrasil tribe. Their job was to find ways to separate conflict. When the young girl was ten years old, her father asked her to join the Yggdrasil. At first, she declined venturing with a group of pastoralist nomads. Her mother, Brynja, fell ill with a debilitating illness that left her immobile. This forced Sigrun and Thor to take care of her until her death three years later. Before the young woman died, Brynja gave the girl a silver ring. Thor contested against it, as that ring symbolized family.

However, the young girl took that ring. While Brynja taught her household work such as cooking and washing clothes, her adventures as a Yggdrasil nomad carried on. Her father gave her an axe, a rock, and animal furs. Sigrun's father taught her basic hunting skills such as trapping, skinning (in fish) and staking (to use spears in hunting. Hunting was necessary for the nomads to survive. While they farmed and brought produces, Alesund suffered from harsh, long winters. They remedied the issues by finding temporary settlements. When the girl turned 13, her father gave her an Yggdrasil pendant, which she keeps on her person at all times.

From time to time, they encountered deer, bears, and other creatures. When Sigrun turned 15, her father battled two bears in the old forest. Unfortunately, his demise came to be with the struggle; the bears sought victory… and devoured the wily hunter. Because of the man's death, Sigrun stepped up to become the leader. As a new leader, Sigrun had a task of remembering paths and locations of waters, neighboring villages, and taverns (if luck blessed them).

Years went by with her company and her undying support One of her comrades taught her how to tame the beasts… but that didn't carry on. At one point, Sigrun encountered a couple of people rooming in her family cabin. The anger flooded like a wave in her soul. The young girl stormed in the house to ask them to leave. During the confrontation, one of the brutes slashed her right eye with a dagger. Because of the girl's height (5 ft, 8 in at the time), the man managed to punch her there, too. The attack blinded her right eye shut, and Sigrun emerged battered. Without a way to regain her home back, Sigrun had no choice but to leave.

When she turned eighteen, Sigrun stayed in Apparmuit, a village not far from Alesund. Apparmuit had a sunny, friendly environment. The local tavern owners and more conventional places to buy food. Without a home to return to, Sigrun needed something permanent and reliable. She didn't need coldhearted abuse, booze, or any more killed animals, for that matter.

There, she found a blacksmith to replace the dingy axe. The blacksmith told her: "You will go far, girl. It says it in your name." To this day, she keeps it with her. Sigrun also found a willing apothecary to treat her right eye. While the treatment allowed some way to heal her vision, her right eyes remains blurred. Instead, she opted for an eyepatch and covering the injury. Besides, she shouldn't look more intimidating than she already poses, right!?

Her reasons for joining the Guild? Understand social relationships, and to have a stable home environment. Perhaps learning more about her land will serve her some purpose on the run. Sigrun hopes for a more stable future. She is also in one with nature, just like most of her pastoralist nomads. Alesund was a place to grow, and the Guild will teach her to SOAR!

Abilities
Do note that none of these are magical abilities. If anything, she will be relatively weak!
I just LOVE detail!

Mind Over Matter ~ While not a magical person by any means, she knows how to control herself. With the power of silence comes with the power of concentration. While she concentrates, Sigrun takes time to read an opponent's movements and temperament. This takes time, dedication, and loads of silence. Should she remain preoccupied with something else, Sigrun leaves herself open in the line of fire. If she so much as sneezes, she risks losing her target!

Shifting Swoop ~ As with her Alesuni comrades, she has a special affinity to her halberd. In fact, the weapon has so much familiarity that she calls it "a friend". Perhaps she has an innate ability to empathize the atmosphere… but that's all but a mere theory.

Her ability to move fast comes from various excursions through the Alesuni countryside. While not as fast as a bullet, Sigrun can use her quick thinking to deceive her opponents. Note that Sigrun can still get injured by conventional means; mortals aren't meant for extreme exertion, anyway!

Sleight of Direction ~ Sigrun is also capable of being a tactician. Her history as a pastoralist nomad gave her an ability to distinguish and remember maps, paths, places… and distinguish footprints. Of course, this can leave room to human errors and misinterpretations. For this reason, she takes extra time to watch her surroundings. Eyes of a hunter, soul of a spirit.

Favourite JRPGS?: Granted, I don't have money to play any of the awesome games mentioned here. I've always wanted to try Elsword and Legend of Heroes: Trials By the Light! I have played something like Golden Axe: The Duel and Lightning Warrior Raidy. I'm so young~!

Trivia
~ Sigrun developed an allergy to pollen (the one from trees and certain flowers), mold, and dust while in Alesund. Thanks to her nomadic tribe, she gained control of having hay fever. Once in a blue moon, Sigrun will sneeze – and won't stop!

~ Sigrun has an innate love for nature. As ironic as it is for a pastoralist nomad, Sigrun has an intimate connection with the seven Gods. She finds tales of lore interesting.

~ While Sigrun is naturally left handed, she is capable of wielding and writing with both hands.

~ Alesund is SUPER precious to her; she carries a pendant that her father found by a tavern.

Theme Songs
(Play the second one when reading her history. It'll bring the mood better.)

~ Young girl of a nomadic land, come and conquer demands! ~

~ The weeping of a mother goes far into your heart ~

~ Hunt like a shepherd, walk like a tiger ~

~ The forest is filled with virtues abound ~

(I'll be back to reformat this. Everything looks so bland! Sorry about her history! I hate it!)

Last edited:
>Lightning Warrior Raidy
kekekek

• Bucket of Rainbows
Not that I really like the series...
Oh, I'm such a horn dog! LMAO.

jojo-to-be-continued-base.jpg

Appearance:
fJNkGL0.png

Yeah, Pach gave me permission for this lol

Name: Raskha (Razz). The h is pronounced as a hiss, and is hard for humans to emulate. Hence the nickname.
Class: Polearmsman
Weapon: A long staff, taller than Razz, constructed from what appears to be anything the creator could get their hands on but deceptively solid. A mixture of wood and metals.

Personality & Backstory: Highly energetic and fashionable, a little self absorbed and very easily distracted. Tends to take people's boasts at face value, but will protest self-loathing. Dislikes sombre atmospheres and will try his best to lighten the air. Tends to make big boasts about himself, which would be all well and good if it weren't for the fact that his staff being a light and unbladed weapon is better suited for backup/support over straight up running in and smacking things - as talented as he may be with it. He's a guy who wears an opponent down rather than one who defeats. He is aware of this, and his specialty is in fact adapting himself to help others in a situation rather than taking the lead himself.

Tends to deal with hate of Nekos by ignoring the source, although he will avoid them from that point onwards and make no effort to help them if they need it. He is slow to forgive even if they apologise. Isn't as stupid as his mannerisms suggest he is, and is always very alert of his surroundings. He is perfectly fine with people assuming he's an idiot though, it serves him pretty well. In terms of backstory I have nothing fleshed out at this point - no doubt from a Neko clan, he was motivated into the Guild by the same thing which motivates many; fame and fortune. Unfortunately the Guild is in fact pretty terrible at amassing fortune, something he learned quickly. But he's no stranger to living on the edge, and it will all be worth it in the end! Nothing can stop him! He's Razz!

Is secretly far sighted and as such struggles to read without corrective lenses. This ruins his image so he freaks out when he needs to use them. Vain sod.

Abilities: He hits fast but not so hard, so tends to play a more supportive role than all out offense. I just realised i already said this lmao.
Favourite JRPGS?: CAN I SAY METAL GEAR REVENGANCE LOL (I'm not really a jrpg player tbh)
Theme Song: Uhhhhhhhh I have the musical affinity of a spanner through a glass window sorry.

Hi guys can I join ur RP for a bit

Last edited by a moderator:
BUNS -- YAAAS!!! Razz looks so good - you never disappoint!

And Ice - I'm looking through Sigrun's character sheet, and she's not a bad character. Not at all! But I'm not sure if she really fits Tales tonally, you know? While we have of moments of seriousness, we're really just a group of lovable goofballs have a good time and messing up. Sigrun comes across as too...cold to really fit in with the group.

Anyone else getting that impression?

• Thank You
BUNS -- YAAAS!!! Razz looks so good - you never disappoint!

And Ice - I'm looking through Sigrun's character sheet, and she's not a bad character. Not at all! But I'm not sure if she really fits Tales tonally, you know? While we have of moments of seriousness, we're really just a group of lovable goofballs have a good time and messing up. Sigrun comes across as too...cold to really fit in with the group.

Anyone else getting that impression?
I knew you would say that.
However, that's just first impressions. Really, she's interested in social interactions. She doesn't really know how to start it off. She's also in need of a few friends. Sigrún and Razz should get along swimmingly!

I am planning on having her show friendliness. She'll lighten up to everyone once she's acquainted. Sorry if she comes off that way!

She is also a fan of Thor, The Heart; they read parts of the epic in the taverns!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.