[The Last Outlaw] Where Will I Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"All right." She slipped the Beretta into one of her pant pockets. "What kind of work did you have in mind, exactly?"

She was starting to feel uneasy.

"The kind that can have you end up either dead or in jail." Franco chuckled softly. Franco looked her way and said in a serious tone, "Look, if you don't wanna come, then don't. I won't be mad. But ya know, me and my uncle are down fifteen grand that is due by the end of the month. Look at me, I'm not a artist, or a lawyer or a politician. I am a soldier, and if this is the type of work I have to do in order to help my family , I'll do it gladly."

He checked his gun and turned to Ash. "So are ya coming?" he asked.

Ash shrugged. "Sure... why not? I got nothin' better to do."

Her uneasiness settled in more. Friends that can have you either turn up dead or in jail? This started to sound like Chicago all over again.

"Well all right then, let's get going." He said as they made their way out of the bar and down the street. "When we get there, just stick next to me, and you'll be fine."

They continued to make their way down the street. Franco turned and asked, "Hey Ash what brought you to New York?"

"Well, I kind of had to get away from Chicago because some gang leaders were out to get me. And I figured no one knew me in New York so I came here the first chance I could."

She crossed her arms as they walked. "You been here all your life, I assume?"

He nodded, "Yep, born and raised in the Bronx until I went off to.... well you know. Anyways, I came back and moved in with my uncle here in Manhattan." They turned down a side road and walked up to a run down apartment building. "We're here" Franco announced.

Ash could only nod as she listened to Franco tell her that he lived in the Bronx. When they got to a run down apartment building, her mind started racing with all the outcomes and thoughts she could think of.

Franco walked up the stairs and rang the bell. There was a scuffling sound for a minute before the door opened revealing a short, fat Cuban in a cheap suit and any exposed flesh was covered in some sort of soot or dust. The man's face wasn't easy to look at either. A broken nose complimented to bushy eyebrows and large scar that ran from his right eye to his lower jaw.

"Franco, mi hijo!" the man yelled as he embraced Franco in a massive bear hug. Franco looked over his shoulder and smiled nervously at Ash as a way of saying, ya still wanna be here?

Ash stood there as she hesitantly waved at the Cuban. "Umm... hola..." she said with uncertainty. She studied his face for a moment. Maybe he wasn't such a bad guy...

The Cuban walked over to Ash, "Hey Franco, who is this senorita?" the man asked. Franco walked over and said "This is Ash, she is a friend. Ash this is Paulo Espinoza, second in command of of the Espinoza crime family." Paulo just stood there, glaring at Ash for a minute. "Very well, Follow me." Paulo said as he headed around back.

Crime family? What is this, the Cuban Mafia? she thought to herself. She glared at Franco. "It'd been nice if you told me that we were doing work for a crime family, you know," she said.

What's the use? It seemed that it might never get away from gangs, crime families, or mobs and mafias.

Franco shrugged, "Sorry, but if I told you, you probably wouldn't come. That being said, this job pays well." Franco followed Paulo around back to some sort of garage.

"So Paulo, what is it this time, robbery? murder? or does some one need to learn some respect?" Franco while cracking his knuckles.

"Extortion." Paulo answered as he handed Franco some brass knuckles. "Some old Persian prick named Assef who won't pay for protection. He owns the deli down on 51st street, go down there and convince him to play ball. If all goes well, you and your girlfriend get half of what he coughs up, if the cops are called, you get nothing, understand?"

Franco slipped the brass knuckles onto his right fist, "Crystal" he muttered.

Franco did seem to be right. If he did tell Ash about the work they would be doing, she wouldn't have gone with him.

"Umm... Paulo, is it?" she said. "I ain't his girlfriend..."

51st street, deli, Persian dude, Aseef, not paying protection money, no cops, get half of money.. She played this thought repeatedly in her mind.

"Alright, lets head out." Franco said as he headed back onto the side walk. he looked left and found the way to the deli. He turned to Ash as they made their way down the road. "When we get there, you'll keep watch for the cops, and I'll get our friend Assef to give us the cash." Franco said while turning onto 51st street. They made their way to the deli, Franco held the door open and let Ash go ahead of him, "Ya ready, lets do this." he said in a slight Bronx accent as he pulled his shirt over his mouth and nose and headed inside.

Ash nodded and stood at outside the deli. She leaned against the brick building and crossed her arms, watching countless people walk by. No cops, though; they seemed to be staying far from them.

Thankfully there were no people at the tables at the time. Franco walked right up the counter with a middle aged Persian man behind it. The man had a deep tan and sported the stereotypical Arab beard. "How may I help you sonny?" the man asked in broken English. Franco walked up and asked, "You Assef?" the man nodded. Franco pulled the .45 Colt and pointed straight Assef's gut.

"Now listen you damn towel-head,the Espinozas are through asking nicely, so unless you are ready to meet the big guy in the sky, I suggest you hand over any money you have." Assef stared wide eyed at the gun pointed straight at him. "Don't need protection, and I don't need spics like you trying to smack me around." He muttered. Franco pulled the hammer back on the gun. "It would probably be best if you reconsider." he muttered back.

Ash gasped slightly as a cop car drove by. She glanced in to see Franco pointing the gun at Aseef. Looking back, the patrol car seemed to drive by. She let out a sigh of relief.

"Hope they didn't see anything," she said to herself.

"Look bro, I don't have a problem of spilling your guts all over the place. If you want to go home to your family, just give us the money!" Franco barked. Assef shook his head, "I'm not going to be intimated by some thug" he sneered. Franco was starting to get nervous, the cops could show up any minute, and they were at a stand still.

"Last Chance,old man." Franco said while putting pressure on the trigger. Before the gun could roar, Franco heard the click of a revolver, he looked to see Assef pointing a revolver pointed straight at him. "I remember you." Assef growled, "Ten years go by, and our paths have crossed."

Ash glanced back into the deli and her eyes widened as she saw both men pointing guns at each other. She walked in and closed the blinds as she pulled the Beretta out of her pocket.

"Don't even think about it, bastardo!" she threatened.

When Ash came inside, Assef turned his revolver on her. "Stay back young lady." Assef warned. Franco was really starting to get irritated, he had try to be nice to this guy, but then he was accused of something ten years ago. "Hey buddy, I don't know what the hell you are talking about, but I don't care just give the money!" Franco roared. "Bite me spic!" Assef growled as pulled the trigger.

There was a clicking sound as the revolver had amazingly jammed. "Shit!" Assef yelped as he quickly tried to unjam the chamber. Franco grabbed Assef by the collar of his shirt and pulled him over the counter. Franco reached into his pocket and pulled out a folded trash bag. "Fill that bag, with all the money in the register and then meet me around back, I'll take care of our friend." He said while flipping the bag to Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.