The Last of the Line: A Journey of Epic Proportions.

The wooden planks that were used for stairs quietly creaked under me, making me jump every now and then. I finally got to the end of the basement, and I looked around to see that the basement was gloomily lighted with five candles, one in each corner of the room.

Taking caution, I put the hood of my cloak over me, and held the dagger I had as I walked forward. "Hello?"

A figure moved in the dark and sat in a chair. "They call me Longstride, and I know you are humming bird. So, tell me what has happened so far..." Her voice was rough and raspy, she moved around to the table that sat in the middle of the basement. She awaited your answer.

My eyes narrowed at the so called Longstide. "I have nothing to say since I cannot trust you. How can I know if you are not one of King Emberstorm's knights?"

"I called you hummingbird did I not? The fact that Oak did not escape is the least of your problems. Emberstorm's army is approaching and the king doesn't have much time so you have to lie through your teeth. Go to the king and tell him that Emberstorm's army is attacking and that he should call upon the protectors of truth for help." She held his hood close to her body as she got up. Before you she dropped a large sack with plenty of goods and weapons. "Report back to me when you have spoken with the king."

I sighed and closed my eyes, but opened them once more. I climbed up the stairs once more, and closed the door. "What shall I do now?" I whispered to myself.

Night cloaked the city as you walked out of the inn and sat down in a chair in front of the inn. You should wait till morning to visit the king.

My eyes drooped as I became much more sleepy, wishing for slumber. I cannot sleep now, I must roam this place, shouldn't I? I thought and I stood up. I walked away from the inn, looking around the village I was in currently.

You walk far enough that you see the gates of the castle. As you moved toward the gates you felt your body become heavier and hard to carry. Slowly, you slumped down to the ground and fell to sleep. You awoke in a velvet bed with chains around your arms and King Emberstorm standing at the end of the bed dressing himself. "Thanks for the night, you wench." He walked off into the castle as you saw the little girl that helped you escape sit there in the chair hanging over it. She lifted up and her face was covered in scars and an eye was gone. You shrieked in horror seeing her. She walked toward you and touched your stomach nodding at it. "It's almost time."

You wake on a chair at a very large dining table with many chairs and only two people there. The king, and the queen of Alaria. "State what you want" the king said.

I felt my stomach turn over, making me let out a small groan. "I am not hungry," I said and looked up at him. "If that is fine with you," I said and stared at him. My eyes then looked over at the Queen with an unreadable expression. How could he do such thing, yet have a wife already?

The king of Alaria looked at you with heavy eyes. "I don't have all day my lady, I have a war I have to deal with." He turned to one of his servants and handed him a letter. "You fell on my step and I need to know what you want,girl." The queen sat somewhat turned away from the king looking out of a window not paying attention to the conversation. As you glace at the room you notice that it's rather dim and there was not many servants there. It seems that the king isn't doing well at the time. You should use that to your advantage.

I let out a sigh. "I shall just have a simple stew, nothing more, nothing less," I said and looked away from his eyes, staring at the dining room. My eyes then drifted off to the Queen who seemed in a distant mood. Does she know what happened last night? I questioned myself and my heart began to beat faster. ​Please, don't.

The queen stood up and walked away leaving the king sitting there alone. "Bring her some stew" the king grumbled. A servant ran and came back with a hot mushroom stew and a small cup of wine.

"My kingdom is going to hell, yet we can have nice food. Much of my armies are already deployed to help with the siege of Western Gate. By now they must have retreated." The king looked grim, almost sickly, why is he being put through so much? Your mission to have the king's army may not help, because he can't protect you. Emberstorm's army is gaining closer and closer, so you need to think of something to be able to get you through this?
"Upon the days in which I sorrow, many within the dark whisper it's name" the king said aloud."A young woman said that to me once, and I am still not sure what it means..."

I had an idea of what the woman said, but I had decided not to reveal it. "I would think you should simply look for more help of other kingdoms," I said warily, hoping not to anger him.

"I don't think I can trust the other kingdoms. Emberstorm's power stretches far and wide in our lands. Many of my people have left to go to his keep and serve him." The king put his face in his hands and shook his head. He then stood up and pulled out a large parchment and wrote something in it. After he sealed the parchment he looked to you and tossed it at you. The envelope floated until it landed next to your bowel. "Deliver this to the Lands of Frost. There you will find a man named Solomon, he will help my kingdom." You took the paper and walked out of the castle heading to the inn. Then you walked into the inn going down into the basement where the woman you spoke to before sat. "So, what did the king give you?"

I swallowed and warily handed the piece of paper to the woman. "It's in a language I've never seen before. You could possibly understand it."

She took the paper from you and read it. "The Frost Lands", she looked at you in disbelief."I will have to collect some favors, you will need to sleep on this." She turned around and started writing something down. "In a matter of days you will be going on a voyage, a very long voyage, towards The Frost Lands. Get some rest and we shall prepare in the morning."

Cheryl slowly nodded as she looked around to see a small bed up against the wall. She walked towards it, and sat down on the bed, looking up at the woman. "If this is your bed, I can simply sleep on the ground," she said as she cracked her knuckles, giving her relief. The woman didn't answer, so she slowly laid down on the thin mattress, closing her eyes.