The Last of the First

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryo grumbled something and pushed Chev off his lap roughly, throwing Chev's discarded shirt over him. "Knock it off, Chev. Now's not the time," he growled quietly, throwing a glance over at the human beside them. Kyros was bright red and looking very uncomfortable. "How much further to the village? Chev's getting impatient."

It took Kyros a moment to get past his burning embarrassment in order to reply. "Its abut an hour away, so not very far."

"Good," Ryo replied with a nod. He paused, wondering how long an hour was. The humans had changed nearly everything about them by now, and had apparently come up with an even more confusing manner in which to tell time. He had never understood their methods. He liked it more when they just determined the pass of time via the phases of the moon. He understood that one... kind of.

Chev landed with a not so gentle thud against the side of the metal thing, his shirt being thrown over him almost as soon as he settled. "well fine," he muttered, putting on the shirt and buttoning it haphazard, but refusing to put on anything else. He'd needed the distraction of playing with Ryo, but with that now gone he was left alone with his own thoughts. It wasn't a happy place to be. He brought his knees up to his chest, wrapping his arms around them and looked out the see through, watching the world slowly drift by. It was so empty, empty and dead. There was no life on his planet anymore. Before it had been covered in plants, huge forests filled with more creatures than could be counted within a hundred human lifetimes. The mindless had wandered in a never ending dance of life and death, the humans had fought just as hard for their own survival, some accepting the help of his kin and living alongside them, some refusing. It was those who'd been born with power that tended to reject their kin, and they had been the ones to betray them in the end. "Should have just killed them all at birth and been done with it," he muttered softly, hatred for the magic users burning it's way through his body and heating up the area around him.

Ryo watched Chev out of the corner of his eye, his partner's words loud enough for only him to hear. He let his gaze wander sadly around him to rest on the trees slipping past. He had an idea of what he was thinking about. At the time, they hadnt thought anything of it. The small bundles were kin. They didnt have all the same abilities as their parents, but they had a new gift, something none of the dragons had ever seen before. That gift grew powerful in the humans harboring it, and for a while, the gifted lived in harmony with the dragons. Thier kind continued to grow and prosper, promising a great deal for the human race. Then, after a while, they forgot. They forgot their blood ties, their shared history, and they took fate into their own hands and destroyed the dragons, for reasons Ryo had yet to understand. He let out a long breath, and rested a hand on Chev's knee, trying to ease his anger. He understood his pain and his rage, they burned like a volcano within him, but he couldnt let that out now, not with Chev like he was. He had to be a pillar for his partner to hold onto so he wouldnt lose himself.

Chev followed the hand on his knee up to a well formed shoulder and finally to Ryo's face. He gave the man a small smile, thanking him for his support. He knew that without Ryo, he would have never been able to stand up again in that temple. He would have gone back to his origin of birth, destroying everything near himself as he exploded into his own mini nova. Like everything, Chev's powers had limits. The more he used it, the quicker he'd have to enter into his hibernating state. He's sleep for a year or two and then wake, refreshed. Unlike Ryo, he needed that time for his life to last as long as it had. But there was another way to end his life. A quicker, flashier way and he knew himself well enough to realize the Ryo was the only thing keeping him from that route. "thank you, my love." He lifted Ryo's hand to his lips and gently kissed the man's knuckles, moving the hand to cup his cheek. "I'm sorry for relying on you so much."

Ryo smirked and shook his head. "You're always so much trouble," he said teasingly.

He remained silent the rest of the trip. After a while, the trees began to thin out until they had dissappeared entirely. In their place came stone nad wooden structures he could only assume to be the new dwellings of the humans. They were large, and covered the entire landscape until no sign of the beautiful nature they had just come from could be seen. It looked, for all it was worth, a cage. He looked around at it all, wide eyed, too shocked to say anything. They had decimated the forest, gutted it until nothing was left. Is this what they've been doing all these years, he wondered.

Kyros pulled up in front of a medium sized house. It was a place he'd inherited from his parents when they decided to go to a retirement home. It was a simple two bedroom house, but he liked it. He shut down the truck and got out. "This is my place. I've only got one spare room, so you'll have to share, but I dont think that'll be much of a problem for you." He went up to the front door and unlocked it, pushing it open to let them go inside first.

The further they traveled into the metal jungle, the more Chev began to grow sick. "It's so-dead. Everything…there's green and tree but they aren't real. They're just imitations. How can anyone live in this?" They stopped and he looked at the 'house', deciding it wasn't so bad off after a close scrutiny. It was sat back from the tar path, surrounded by more of the controlled green and had a couple baby trees around it as well. "No choice, huh?" He looked over at Ryo before heading out of the metal thing and to the opening that was being held by the human. "It closes? Interesting…can't weigh much if you hold it so easily. Does that little thing really protect you from predators?" he stepped into the 'house' and began to look around, curiosity taking over and washing away everything else for the moment. "What's this?" he asked, moving to a think making a ticking noise at the end of the cave. It had little moving parts that seemed to go in a circle and point at some symbols and a long stick with a round shiny thing at the end and moved back and forth. Another shiny caught his eye and he moved one, "what's this?" he asked, over and over again, picking some things up, poking others, trying to find meaning n all the stuff he found.

Ryo followed a bit slower. He slid through the hole Kyros was standing beside in a low crouch, his eyes alert for anything that might try to attack him. The cave inside was a bit small, but elaborate. A tunnel split off to his left, and down it he could see more of the strange holes that led to more caverns. He slipped over to one and pawed at the contraption covering it. It was wood, and swung open easily. He straightened a bit and inspected it. The wood was real, but it looked as i someone had captured a cloud and covered the wood with it. The whole cave was like that, covered in clouds, the natural look of the wood obscured. "What did you do to it?" He demanded, looking around. The small entryway he had gone through led to a smaller cavern. Inside were a few strange looking structures. He examined each one in turn. "This one is still correct," he mumbled, running his hand down a wooden contraption. When he pulled on one of the many shiny things sticking out of it, part of the wood came out. He quickly stepped away. "I didnt do it." He retreated from the small room.

Kyros had already shut the door. He had a hand over his face and was watching Chev with a mix of amusement and exasperation. He glanced at Ryo, then looked at Chev again. "If you two will hold still for a moment." He glanced at Ryo. "The house isnt going to bite you, I promise. Chev, will you please hold still so I can tell you about a few things?"

Chev hesitated, torn between his need to explore and his curiosity to know. Curiosity won in the end and he moved to the human, waiting eagerly to hear what the explanation for all of this would be. The first thing he looked at made a loud noise and Chev jumped, looking at it with wide eyes before grinning. "That, tell us what that is first and I'll listen to everything else you have to say. Promise." He was literally bouncing on the balls of his feet, but he's stay still long enough for the human to tell them his bit.

Kyros smiled. "Thats called a Grandfather Clock. It helps us know what time it is." He walked over to the clock and pointed at each part as he explained. "These are called hands. The short hand tells us what hour it is, and the long hand tells us what the minute is. So right now, it is four o'clock." He peered at the two strange creatures. He still didnt believe they were dragons. That was crazy. "Does that make sense? Did you understand any of it?"

Ryo approached the thing called a... clock... strange contraption, and poked at it. It was hard, and certainly made of wood. This item was a bit different than the rest he'd seen. The wood was old and genuine. "This has been around for a long time..." He muttered out loud to no one in particular.

Kyros nodded. "Its been in the family for a while now. My great grandfather's the one who bought it originally."

Chev smiled and looked over the thing, "so it's important then? Cool, humans have always had an attachment to things, but I can relate to that. Something that's a part of your-your family is always good to keep around." He made sure his smile was in place, but he couldn't help but think of the little ones. How they would treasure little nick-knacks he gave them. One time, their great,-great grandson showed him an old scale he'd shed when the boy was no more than a few years old. He'd let the boy keep it and it had been held onto and treasure for all that time, long after Chev himself had forgotten. Such things held so much importance, it had proven to him how important even the smallest things could be. But now even those little things were gone. He turned to face the clock, trying to gain control of himself, not wanting ryo to see the tears filling his eyes. "do you have other family treasures like this one?"

"Yea, its really important to me. I dont know what I'd do if I lost it. I've got a few other things I got from my grandparents, and a lot of things my parents got me." Kyros pointed at a glass case full of figurines and other glass nick knacks he'd collected over the years.

Ryo, almost unconciously, stepped closer to Chev and rubbed his arm. He could feel his partner's pain underneath his own, despite Chev's efforts to hide it from him. He remembered the various things he'd given their children and descendants over the years: a small furred mindless to one of his great great granddaughters, a sword to one of his grandsons. He could still see their excited faces, her squeal at the sight of the little yellow creature, and the softness of its fur, his eagerness to show how good he was at using a sword. Ryo remembered it all. He felt his heart clench even tighter, eager to release the pain within. Ryo shoved it down even further.

Chev smiled at Ryo, acknowledging the comfort offered, but he couldn't give in now. As much as Ryo was there for him, he was there for Ryo. He couldn't break down, it would just make this that much harder for his lover. They had started out alone, just the two of them. At least now, instead of constantly fighting, they had each other to reply on. But that also meant they had be strong enough to be relied upon. "so it's important to you, that's good that you take care of that stuff. I'm sure it makes your family happy too." He smiled and moved away, trying to find something else to distract himself with. Thankfully there were lots of shinies around. He went to this one thing that was reflecting the room back. It was like obsidian, shiny and black. But there were little tiny things sticking out of the sides. He pushed them in order until the obsidian suddenly became alight with colors. Sound blared from it and Chev jumped back, his back hitting the wall on the other side of the room. He hissed at it, the sound of water hitting hot stones emitting from the back of his throat.

Ryo growled at the sudden roar from the strange shiny thing. He crouched, his nails growing into sharp claws as he prepared to leap onto the thing.

Kyros squeaked, eyes going wide as Ryo prepared to jump. He leaped in front of his tv and spread his arms out wide. "NOnononoo! Its okay! Dont!" he yelped, trying to switch off the - expensive - television. He hit the channel and volume button before finally hitting the power button. It turned off with a whoosh. "Dont attack it! It's expensive!"

"Get out of the way, it tried to attack Chev," Ryo growled, not moving. Any other time, he would have leaped on the thing despite the human being in the way, but he couldnt bring himself to harm this human. He'd helped them quite a bit already. He couldnt understand why he was protecting such a dangerous monster though.

"It did not!" Kyros protested hotly. "Its a television, thats all. Its harmless, just like the truck and the clock. Harmless, okay?" He slipped over to the couch, snatched the remote and hurried back to his place in front of the tv. "I'll show you. Just... Stay there, alright?" He turned the tv back on with the remote and turned the volume down to a reasonable level. Some silly reality show played on the screen. Kyros moved over just a bit, so Ryo and Chev could see the screen. He placed his hand on it. "See? Harmless."

Ryo glared at Kyros and the television, but the tiny people moving on it caught his attention. He stalked to the side until he could see the tiny people behind it, but all he saw was the wall. He fixed his glare back on the television. "Magic?"

Chev looked at the thing long and hard as the human explained. He'd felt more startled than actually threatened by the thing, but now it was fascinating. The human pressed something on the pocketed rock in his hand and Chev turned his gaze back to the television. Now that he actually had a chance to look he felt his curiosity peeking. "Itty-bitties!" he hurried forward, once Ryo had checked it out first, and pressed his nose to the wall thing. "why are they so small? How do they fit inside, can I hold one?" so many questions now that he knew it was safe. "they sound so loud for how little they are. Aw, look! They have babies! So cuuuuute!" he wanted to hold one! to play with them! "I want one, Ryo can I have itty-bitties with babies too?"

"No," Ryo replied, his metaphysical hackles flattening. He creeped up to it and placed a hand on the front. He startled at the shock he got from it. "What was that?" The spark had been ridiculously weak, completely harmless.

"Static?" Kyros smiled. "Its normal." He was glad to see the two of them relaxed again. He ran a hand through his hair and sighed. He still couldnt figure out why he'd taken in these two... creatures. Their story about being dragons from the ancient past had to be true, if their reactions to all this stuff was any indication. He found it a tad amusing and just a little frustrating having to so carefully explain what everything in his house was. Things he took for granted, they knew nothing about. It was like taking care of two large, strong and dangerous toddlers.

Chev whined softly, "but I want itty-bitties." It was useless, he couldn't have the itty-bitties. Ryo wouldn't let him, but that didn't mean he couldn't push Ryo until the man gave in. he'd let it drop for today, but the itty-bitties would still be there tomorrow. "hey, hey," he grabbed the human's sleeve, the first time he touched the human. He blinked a couple times and cocked his head to the side, "huh. Oh, anyways, show us other stuff! Where do you make your food? Do you still fires and those stone ovens? I loved those! The bread was so yummy!" he'd talk to Ryo about what he sensed later.

Kyros laughed. "No, we dont use those anymore." He led the ever curious dragon into the kitchen. He showed him the main parts of the kitchen: the stove, oven, fridge and microwave. "These are were we cook food. This one is called the stove. Its where we cook most things... its kinda like cooking over a fire, but better. This one, the microwave, is where we reheat something or cook small things. The oven is like a better version of the stone ovens you're talking about. We bake and cook large things that take a while in there." He patted the fridge. "And this is where we store the food that needs to be kept cold." He opened it to let them see inside.

Ryo poked and prodded at the various things the human had showed them. Why did they need so many things to cook with? Couldnt they just use a fire? It seemed so much easier. He peered at a strange shiny thing dangling over a hole in the counter. When prodded, it swiveled side to side, and when a smaller part was moved, water streamed forth from the shiny swiveling thing. The sudden water made him jump. "Chev, look! Magic water!"

Chev had discovered that the top part of the cold box held frozen items. He stuck his head inside and looked around, amazed. "this is so cool! I can see my breath in here!" but at hearing magic water he pulled his head out and looked at what Ryo was playing with. "oh wow, look at that. It's almost as good as Niv-" his voice died away, his eyes losing a little of their light as he remembered their beautiful daughter. She had been one of the strongest of their children, so passionate and loving. He forced himself to smile, to move on and not linger, "still. Your humans have come a long way it seems. Who needs magic when you have thingies like these?"

Ryo slowly turned the magic water off, his thoughts full of memories of their vibrant and deeply caring daughter. She had always been a joy to be around, seeming to make any sour mood happy if she were there. It was a curious little thing about her that he had wanted to figure out more about. I suppose... its a bit too late for that now...He thought sadly. He let out a puff of air and made sure his feelings werent reflecting on his face before turning to the other two. "It is impressive. You've gone far beyond what I ever thought was possible for your kind."

Kyros rubbed his hand through his hair. It seemed everything reminded his new guests of some fairly painful memories. He hoped to someday help ease them of some of that pain. He hadnt known them for very long, but even now, he didnt like seeing the pained behavior they gave off. He smiled. "I agree. Sometimes even I cant believe it." He motioned to the hallway. "C'mon, I'll show you where you two can sleep." He led them down the hall to his guest room. Inside was a large bed covered in a blue and white bedding set, to match the cloudy theme of the rest of the room. "Sorry there's only one bed, but" He glanced at them, "I have a feeling you two wont mind that too much..." He laughed a bit and took a step back to let them go in and investigate if they wanted.

Chev followed listlessly, his eyes looking at all the different things around them but not really seeing them. The bed was interesting. he walked over to poke it a couple times and when he found it to be softly, he climbed on and sunk down into the fluff. "like a real cloud-" he said softly, smiling. the human was retreating and Chev lifted his head. "if you've told us your name i've forgotten, sorry. I'm Chevalier, but you can call me Chev. thank you for everything." he smiled and fell back against the fake cloud, closing his eyes. what would make this perfect was a nice warm body pressed against him with thick arms wrapped around his chest. "Ryo? lay with me?"

Status
Not open for further replies.