The Last of the First

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Its okay," Kyros said soothingly. "Its supposed to sound like that. Its normal, not dangerous."

Ryo growled a moment longer before settling uneasily on the chair. He didnt like this... whatever it was. It sounded like one of the larger Mindless, yet it appeared docile and tame, much like the things humans called livestock.

Kyros waved away Chev's hand. "They're called keys. I dont know how, but when I put them in there and turn them in a certain direction, the truck starts. Its a bunch of mechan- metal parts inside that make it move. Its not alive." Kyros tried to explain. Curiosity finally got the better of him. "I dont understand something. You keep talking as if you're not human, but you look human." He looked at Chev. "If you're not human, then what are you?"

Chev pouted, but let his hand be bat away and moved back to sitting on the soft thing again. The question, however, made him snort, "We've tried to describe our kind to you already, have we not? When asking where-" he grew silent for a moment, the aching pain still his voice, but he forced the pain away, "asked about them before. Thing are so different now, I would not be surprised should our kind have not been all but forgotten." He slid his hand into Ryo's, clinging to it with as much causality as he could muster. Was that all they were now? Forgotten legend? He looked up to the skies that had once been filled with the mindless and his kin. "The fire-breathers, the shifters, we've even been called lizard men before. Titles given to us by your kind, but to our own kind we were known simply as 'Father'…well I was. Ryo here was Mama." He grinned at the man, trying to cheer them both up with the classic joke of who was the mother and who was the father.

Hidden within the foliage of the forest, a man watched the trio. In his hand was a simple, unadorned golden disk that seemed to almost hum. He was waiting for his orders, the report of the First having been woken sent out immediately upon the breach of the seal. What would the council have him do? Attack? That would be suicide; he stood no chance against the monsters. Even their ancestors, at the peak of their brotherhood's power had been forced to wait to attack until the golden one was nearing his sleep. Only through the use of him against the darkness bringer had allowed them to send him after his brother into the stone.
Observe only, make no contact.
The order came as it always did, words scrawled across the disk which burned hot in his hand. He thanked the gods when he read the words. At least he was able to keep his distance from the beasts.

Ryo glared at Chev. "I was not the mother. You very clearly were mother," He replied, a small smirk on his face. He was happy to be able to banter with him like this. After everything they've already lost, he didnt want to lose the last thing he had, and although he never wold admit it, he cared very deeply for his lifelong companion. He rubbed a thumb idly over the back of Chev's hand and looked over at Kyros. "Even if our kind have vanished from your histories, some trace surely remains. Do you not know of any fire-breathers? That was our most common name, it seemed."

Kyros thought about it. "The only fire breathing anything that I know of are myths. There's dragons and all their types." He looked over at them and realized they probably didnt know what he was talking about. "Dragons are large flying, fire-breathing... lizards. There's all sorts, different shapes and sizes. Some believe they hoard treasure, kidnap princesses and wreck havoc wherever they go while others revere them as majestic creatures that bring good luck."

Ryo glanced thoughtfully at Chev, thinking over the human's words. "What do you think?"

"Both descriptions are fairly accurate for some of our kind, though the 'kidnapping princesses' is lost to me. Who would want to kidnap them? Aren't they all spoiled little snobs?" he shook his head a little and looked out the window, wondering what the point of the metal thing was if they were just going to sit there. "You said they were called dragons? An interesting name, sounds powerful. I myself do rather like shiny things, so I guess that could mean I hoard treasure and you're a sour puss so you probably are the havoc." He smirked at that, "that's ok. You're my sour puss." He kissed Ryo, just to embarrass the man, "so it seems stories of us did survive. Most interesting. We were the only ones with flight who were able to breathe fire, so it has to be us, right?"

Ryo nodded. "Yes, they are. If you ask me, they're the ones that hoard treasure." Ryo tightened his grip on Chev's hand unconsciously as the monster jarred a bit. He looked out the clear wall in front of him, watching the forest zip past him at an impossible speed. He didnt understand how the creature could be running this fast if it wasnt alive. He shook his head and returned his attention to Chev's words. "Who're you calling sour puss?" He mumbled, looking sideways at him. He moved his head away, blushing hotly, as he kissed him. He nodded. "I believe so. None of the others could do that. I believe you're right. I wonder if any of those humans' silly stories survived as well in these... myths you called them?" He asked, turning to Kyros. "What are myths?"

Kyros blanched. "Uh, myths are..." He thought of a way to explain it. "Myths are stories humans created in an effort to make sense of something they dont understand. They have myths of how the sun goes around the earth, or why there are storms, or how we came to be on Earth in the first place. There's a myth for everything."

Ryo nodded. "They always were fond of stories. They always had to understand everything. It seems that hasnt changed."

Kyros glanced over at the two strange people beside him. "So, you're saying that you two are dragons? How? You look human."

"Uh-Shape shifters? Remember?" Chev said, climbing into Ryo's lap. He loved tormenting the man like this, it was funny to see the face he used to hate and think of as his enemy turning red in embarrassment from such simple acts. "Besides, Ryo already showed you part of his true form. Remember? The wings? How else do you think he got up to the roof back there? or were you too scared to notice?" he grinned at that and lay his back against the side of the metal thing's mouth and lay his legs out across the soft part they were sitting on. of course his arms wound around Ryo's neck and his head was on the man's shoulder. "It's too cramped in here to show you though. Maybe when the metal thing lets us out we'll show you. That's if you're a good boy of course."

"Shapeshifters, right..." Kyros replied wryly. "Of course."

Ryo glared at Chev and tried to push him off his lap. "Dont sit on me you overheated lump." After failing to push him away, Ryo slowly wrappe his arms around the waist of the other man. The days of their vicious fights, before the kids, before the earth itself, when they mutually hated each other so strongly seemed like nothing more than a bad dream from another life. The Earth and the kids had done more than settle their fighting, it had calmed them and brought them together in a way he would never have believed. He rested his head on Chev's back, feeling the warmth of him steeling into his body and warming the eternal chill that resided within him.

Chev smiled softly when he felt Ryo's head on his back. "Love you." the words were whispered so softly, even Ryo, with his ear to his chest would have a hard time hearing. He gave the man a small squeeze before looking towards the human. "How far away do you life, human? This thing moves fast, but it's nothing compared to flying. This thing's small enough we could carry it, Ryo. What do you say> should we show this human a thing or two about speed?" he was bored. Just sitting here, annoying Ryo wasn't enough, though the man's arms around him was something he relished. But it was also something that brought back far too many memories. Sitting in front of a open flame, the children sitting around. He'd crawl into Ryo's lap and the children would laugh at his reluctant acceptance and blush. Even after they had grown, the children would always take time to share a fire with their fathers. It was a time lost to the ages. A happiness that he'd never be able to feel again. There would always be that cold hole inside of him, the emptiness that even Ryo would never be able to fill.

A small smile played on Ryo's face at Chev's whispered words, and he tightened his grip on him for a second. He perked up at the thought of flying a bit and stretching his wings. "Yes, I agree. I havent been able to stretch my wings for a long time." He replied already trying to find a way out of the belly of the monster. "Tell your monster to release us at once."

Kyros blanched. "Waitwaitwait! You cant do that! No flying! If you fly, people will see you, and we cant let that happen, okay? So we'll do it the slow way and drive there."

Ryo peered at the human. "We flew freely before, we can fly freely now as well."

"Actually, you cant. Well, you could, but it would be a very bad idea. If you fly around, people will know that you're different and they'll catch you and they'll experiment on you. I dont know what they'd do to you, but it would probably be painful. In the least you'd be locked up like some kind of dangerous animal."

Chev snorted, small flames curling at his nostrils, "Please. You really think you humans could capture us? Not when I'm fully charged, thank you. Besides, it's time we remind this world just who their masters are." He looked around and touched the top of the mouth, "now I think you should be letting us out soon, my friend, or shall I melt a hole in this metal top?" He lifted an eyebrow, looking at the human through the reflection pool hanging from the see through wall before them. "Come now, it's not that hard of a decision."

"Wait, Chev. They caught us once before, when they were a lot more primitive. They're probably stronger now. Lets hear him out." Ryo puled Chev's hand down, fixing his sharp gaze on Kyros. "What do you mean by experiments?"

Kyros shrugged. "I dont know. If I'd have to guess, they'd probably take blood and tissue samples, maybe even cut into you, put all kinds of chemicals or toxins or poisons into your body, just to see how your body reacts to them. And if they knew about your transformation ability, they'd probably do just as much or more. They'd to tests to see how fast or how long you can run, or fly, or any other number of things. It wouldnt be pleasant, and I shudder to think of what kind of cage or cell they'd lock you up in."

Ryo stared at Kyros for a long moment, then looked at Chev. "he may be right Chev. We need to lay low until we know more about this world. We're strangers to it now. A lack of caution could be deadly."

Chev looked at Ryo, wanting to argue, but he knew the man was right. "Fine, but we're going to need to fly sometime. Or at least shift! I'll go crazy if I have to stay in this form forever." He turned his hand over and twined his fingers with Ryo's not letting the man let go just yet. He'd lay low, but that didn't mean he had to be good. "What kind of place do you humans live in now? Used to be caves and wooden sort of hut things. I didn't like those, did nothing for privacy. Have they changed much? Are they metal like this thing we are riding in?" He tapped the see through part and looked down, seeing odd little things sitting a little bit higher than the rest of it. He pressed on, trying to see its function, and as it lowered, so did the see through, allowing in the wind and a soft roaring like when they flew. "What did I do?" he asked, wondering if he had broken it.

Kyros looked over as the window went down. "You lowered the window, thats all. Its normal."

Ryo stuck his hand carefully through the now open space. "Window? Is that what the see through wall is called?" He stuck his head through the open window, feeling the familiar sensation of wind rushing past his face. It felt like he was flying, yet he knew he wasnt. He pulled his head back into the metal creature and looked at Kyros, disbelieving. "Have you humans learned to fly?"

Kyros chuckled. "No, the truck is just moving very fast." He glanced at Chev. "And what we live in now are large wooden, insulated places that offer plenty of privacy. The largest ones are called mansions, they're huge and only the richest people can afford them. Most people live in houses. They're usually big enough to raise a family in comfortably. The smallest ones are called apartments. They can only house one or two people at most. I'm living in a house, so I'll show you when we get there."

"Huh," Chev climbed up onto his knees, straddling Ryo's legs with his back to the man's chest, and stuck his entire torso out. "I've never felt this within the monkey suit. It's strange! My hair's blowing, Ryo!" he laughed, closing his eyes and just enjoying the feeling. "Humans haven't changed much, they prosperous had big, useless shelters, the ones who did well had sensible ones and those who didn't do well lived in whatever they could find. Usually hollowed trees and the smaller caves our kin didn't want." He sighed and sat back down on Ryo properly, his hair puffed up from the wind blowing it and sticking out everywhere. "I wonder if any of my sealed caves are still around. I bet so, I don't care how strong you humans are or what new toys you've build, there's no way you're breaking into a cave sealed specially by me." he looked at Ryo, "if we find one we could buy one of those mansions he was talking about. We needs lots of room to spread our wings and sunbath. Gods, I want to sunbath so bad right now…." He grinned at Ryo and started to strip, "No reason why I can't now, right?" In seconds his clothing was gone and he was trying to crawl up onto the very top of this metal thing. That was by far the sunniest place and he knew he'd be able to fit if he hung his legs over one of the sides.

Ryo held onto Chev as he stuck half of his body out of the side of the monster, apprehension clawing at him. "Be careful!" He hissed, his mind filling in terrible images of the monster deciding to see what dragon tasted like. His pulse only slowed once Chev was back inside properly. Once he was seated, Ryo wrapped his arms around his torso, effectively pinning him there for the time being. He glanced over at the human. "Its true. The prosperous always were the ones with the largest caves. Although I dont understand why. It's a waste of space for such small creatures. Our kind could have used them much more." His attention flitted back to his partner when he began talking again. He smiled. "I'm sure they're still there. I'd like to see the humans try to get past your seals." He looked at Kyros again. "How big are these... mansions... you speak of?"

"Uh... They're... Well, it depends. Some are about the size of that cavern I found you two in, while others are nearly three times that size." He replied, keeping his attention on the road.

Ryo smiled. Living in a place that large would be wonderful. "Chev! What in the world are you doing?" He grabbed Chev by the arms and yanked him back inside. "Stay inside! The monster might eat you if you go out. So far its ignoring us, dont provoke it! And put your clothes on!"

Chev pouted, "It's not alive, Ryo! It rumbles, but listen to it, really listen." He cupped his hands around Ryo's ears, creating a sort of half dome one each side of the man's ears, causing a natural increase in the man's hearing. "See? There's no heartbeat, no breathing. It's not alive, Ryo, so it's not going to eat me." Not that he minded behind held by Ryo like this. It could be quite fun to provoke his love like this. The man's fear would normally be teasable, but Chev understood why Ryo was reacting so strongly to his reckless tendencies. "sorry, love," he settled across Ryo's lap and hugged him, their chests pressed against each other. He rested his head on Ryo's shoulder and sighed softly, "I'm not going anywhere, Ryo. No matter what, I'll always be right here." He wasn't going to get dressed, not yet at least. He was perfectly fine being naked. In fact it hadn't been until the children had been a little bit older that they began to cover themselves at all thanks to some awkward questions from little Anila about why their parts differed from her own.

Ryo paused and did as Chev said, listening closely to the roar of the monster. He was right. There was no beating of a heart, no pumping of blood through veins. The creature was not actually alive. He visibly relaxed by fractions. The monster wasnt alive, and therefore would be unable to eat anything. He gave Chev a small smile, resting his head on the naked man's other shoulder. His warmth, and the sounds of him so alive reassured him. He tightened his grip on him as if he might float away. They had been together their entire life, literally. Even when they hated each other and did nothing but fight and try to destroy the other one, they were the only ones there. They only had each other. Then they had a family, and they learned to coexist on a planet teeming with life. They hadnt been alone. Then they lost everything. Their family, the people and customs they were so used to. Now, despite being on the same planet, with all the rich life it holds, he couldnt help but feel a deep pit of isolation. The only thing he had left, once again, was Chev. And nothing on or off of that planet would take that away from him. "I wont let you leave," Ryo whispered, quietly enough that it was hard for even them to hear.

Chev snuggled closer, smiling to himself, "Then we have an agreement." Those words held such importance for the two of them. They were the words of truce spoken at the creation of this earth, when they realized they'd created life with their fighting. They had agreed to end their war and work together to raise the tiny little dragonets, to teach them of life and to watch over the planet from then on. They had also used the phrase when they'd finally, begrudgingly, agreed to be friends and then, later on, lovers. Now they used them to promise that they would fight to stay together and the weight of the words settled warmly in his chest. "Tonight I will remind you just how much those words make me want you, my love." He smirked, pulling away to look into Ryo's eyes, "Or should I just show you now?"

Ryo smiled at the familiar words, the sounds of them calming nerves he didnt even realize were frayed and tense. With them came the memories associated with them: the two of them, gazing down in wonder at the new earth below them, the sounds of many very small life forms and overpowering them all, the sounds of their own kind, much smaller and completely helpless. That sound had sent a strange fierce burning feeling coursing through him. The anger, and pain and blood of his eons-long war with his bitter enemy forgotten. Only the helpless little ones now mattered. He remembered when he actually began to care about Chev, and when that fondness turned into something more passionate. The memories brought a smile to his face, and he laid a gentle, quick kiss on the man's cheek. "Not now, I dont think it would be appreciated."

Kyros, more than a little uncomfortable, was looking pointedly at the road.

Chev had known Ryo would deny him, but he could also feel Ryo's length pressing against his own through the man's pants. He smirked, wanting to tease his lover a little and began to rock his hips softly, the friction of the clothing Daren tended to wear made him let out a tiny groan, inaudible to human ears, "you say that, but then you tease me like this…it's not fair, Ryou." He nibbled along he dragon's jaw and down along his collar bone, "hmmm, I hope we get to this house soon. I don't know that can last much longer. Human, how much longer?" he was deciding if he should just get it over with, despite what Ryo said, or torment them with this slow rubbing for the rest of the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.