The largest street gang in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Captain Nic

Original poster
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=54162036

This link was posted to me by an anonymous person.

It's a video about police culture. All footage included can be very disturbing.

I've never gotten anything like what is shown in this video where I live.

Now, If you've seen something like the incidents shown ever before, this is the place to discuss it.

tl;dr : Police cruelty. Is it still at large?

You Americans...

In England, a police officer would just sit down with you and have a nice cup of tea and a chat.

But I guess it's better than having a police force that everyone thinks weak and ineffective. I admire the soldier-spirt of these officers and their ability to stay in control under pressure. But yeah... beating up women, intimidating for the hell of it and committing sexual assault... I can't see the rationale for that.

If they had a code of honour, then maybe the police culture would work. Like the codes of chivalry that the knights once had. As it stands, this is just territorial pissing.

But there's not much we can do about it, except tolerate these few abuses for the luxury of public order.

It could be a lot worse...

I don't want to put a label on all american Police officers, but where I live (at least from my experience) they are anything but civil. Besides the blatant profiling, which is more of an annoyance than anything else, they often times seem to be spending way too much time filling out their quotas than actually doing their job; serving the public and rightfully enforcing the law. I have been pulled over many times and given no reason as to why, but instead asked to not only step out of the car but also to keep my hands where they can be seen. This is no joke and for nothing more than driving a flashy car (I used to have a Camaro rally sport) and having dyed hair and a few tattoos. I don't feel like a victim because of how I was treated, but i do feel that i am being robbed of my tax dollars every time I see a cop wasting their time on a more or less law abiding citizen, the whole time our violent crimes are on a constant upward climb. I guess this may be a little off topic as this is more of a police brutality issue, but I really think Cops need to be more accountable for their actions........they need to be policed by the ones they serve, the public.

I Think a policeman who sits and has a cup of tea with you is a lot better than being thrown against a wall and having " Don't Fucking move Mother Fucker!!!" screamed in your face.

BLAH BLAH BLAH I LIVE IN EUROPE

It could be a lot worse...

Can I ramble on about how much this country is a piece of shit and you're all pussies/have a better life quality than me obviously so I must tell you so you can know something besides your little pretty bubble of comfort?

Because I'd laugh at how nobody answers after that post.

And I'd laugh hard.

I have to agree with Darkness on this one. Besides which, this video is essentially a "worst moments caught on film" reel. It's pretty far from representative. That said, cops in America do tend to be a little more...high-strung...than is necessary, but on the other hand, we often know things you lot don't.

(Yes, I am a law enforcement officer. And to respond to Asmo, the first three laws a good police officer lives by are, in order, 1. Finish your shift alive. 2. Bring your partner home alive. 3. Keep the public safe. Obviously, it doesn't always work as well as we would like, but....)

The biggest problems, and there are two of them, is that, one, people tent to treat officers like shit - like speed bumps in their day. That creates a feedback cycle - people treat cops like annoyances, and the next time someone mouths off, the cop hits 'em with the Book, which causes resentment...etc. The second is that cops can get pretty jaded. Let's face it, society isn't as upstanding as it used to be, and cops as a whole se a lot more of the lower half than the upper. (morally speaking)

So where comes in the part of me not being American and my country being wholly different to the US come in? I mean, that's usually when people shut up.

It doesn't. Your country, as a whole, sucks. This is well-established. (No offense) But the discussion is about American police, not about Venezuela.

Stop depressing everyone Darkness! Venezuela doesn't exist!

Ric, don't you think the first two of these 3 Laws promote the wrong attitude? If the golden rule is to stay alive, then that's just gonna make officers defensive, paranoid and trigger-happy, isn't it? They're gonna treat the world as some sort of gauntlet that they have to run, rather than a generally lawful place that just needs a bit of intervention here and there.

When I was in the army, the golden rule was integrity... a bit vague you may say, but at least it put us in the right frame of mind. Finish your shift alive instantly conjures up the image of war and conflict...

Or am I wrong?

The way I was taught, the best means to avoid putting yourself in danger - and therefore make it home alive - is to be diplomatic. Diffuse the situation and keep the bullets from flying in the first place. That means being courteous and tactful as possible.

On the other hand, if someone is waving a weapon at you, don't hesitate to do what you have to.

Stop depressing everyone Darkness! Venezuela doesn't exist!

Ric, don't you think the first two of these 3 Laws promote the wrong attitude? If the golden rule is to stay alive, then that's just gonna make officers defensive, paranoid and trigger-happy, isn't it? They're gonna treat the world as some sort of gauntlet that they have to run, rather than a generally lawful place that just needs a bit of intervention here and there.

When I was in the army, the golden rule was integrity... a bit vague you may say, but at least it put us in the right frame of mind. Finish your shift alive instantly conjures up the image of war and conflict...

Or am I wrong?

I always forget that!

Oh well.

I'll step off now, no good input on what good law enforcement is supposed to mean except from american television and video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.