The Kingdom of Astaeron

Sepiroth notices her smile growing and finds it quite cute, back home you'd have a better chance of seeing pigs fly then seeing a royal smile in a nice way.

Sepiroth nods at her words. "he is the king, yes.." he tilts his head with a smile. 'that is good.' he thinks to himself, the less nobles there are.. the less chance of the truth being found out.' he snaps out his thoughts and smiles gratefully. "thank you.. my lord is indeed at the inn." Sepiroth doesn't mention how his father complained that he liked the dark forest better.

Celeste was interested in the boys situation. She however would not stick her nose into someone else's affairs.
she waited till the queen to address her next.

Celeste tried to remember if the the place the boy was talking about was the same place she encountered a decades back. It was horrible then. She had hoped that the demon population had decreased. too many demons in one place was terrible for human living conditions.

"Gah!" Ghaurl gasped for air as he awoke, feeling a sharp pain shooting up his arm. Hyperventilating, he grasped around feeling a rag and held it to his face. Slowly, his breathing returned to normal as he took note of his surroundings. A small cave, dusty and dimly lit, held up by sandstone. Although, the cave itself seemed unnatural, as it made by cannon-fire, an explosion, or something more mystical. Some equipment lay around him along with several other rags.

Ghaurl noticed a patch of light that was cast at one end of the sandy cave. He squinted, waving the rag at the light, hoping that it was someone searching for survivors, reinforcements maybe. Injured, he rolled onto his belly and winced as the floor braced his arm. It could have be broken. He glanced up, hoping to see a torch, but it was only the torch of night. The sun was already setting.

"Bollocks." He slumped back toward his original location and tumbled through the equipment near him. Most of it was in piss-poor condition. Broken blades here and there, rusted equipment and what-not, a good amount of torn leather. and a small pocketbook. His family guidebook.

Looking at himself, he also was in pretty bad shape, bruises on his forearm and midsection, and cuts along his left thigh. "Damn. I must've took a pretty nasty fall here." He thought back to his vision, of a figure that spoke to him. It spoke of a kingdom, Astaeron. He looked at his arm and back at the torn pieces of leather. He plucked a small blade from the assorted mess and a large piece of leather. Using the sharp edge, he cut two holes through the hide-work and set it aside, scrounging around for more leather.

After assembling five more patches, he opened the family pocketbook, perusing for something on leather-working. Putting it aside he returned to his tinkering, slicing the patches into thin strips, tying them into tight knots and lacing them through the rough holes that he made, making a crude sling.
"Not bad for a dead man ain't it?" He muttured, examining his handiwork. By then, the sun had already set and darkness claimed the area as a cold night set. As the area grew darker and darker, Ghaurl gathered as much leatherwork as possible, assembling it into a small pile. Frowning, he removed the sling and hoisted the remains of his armor off, save for the shoes and his linen clothing underneath, tossing it into the pile before focusing a small flame into his hand. He flinched and tossed it onto the pile setting it ablaze, producing a comfortable warmth beside him. Examining his hand, he checked for any burn marks, and was amazed to find none, (This witchery was truly amazing, if not dangerous.) he thought.

Esther tentatively entered the castle. She had never been in a building so magnificent, but tried not to let it overwhelm her. She looked to where the guards were positioned. Straight ahead seemed the most guarded; that must be the throne-room. Or at least the passage to the throne-room. How big was this place?

The door was open a crack, and Esther heard voices inside. One reminded Esther of the tinkling of a bell, the other sort of like a woodpecker singing. Not that Esther had ever heard a woodpecker sing; she just assumed it would sound like that. "May I see the queen?" Esther asked, looking at one of the guards. Esther's own voice sounded shallow, like a stone tossed into a puddle.

"Her Majesty is already attending two petitioners," the guard responded without moving, "I would not like to burden her." Esther averted her eyes, paused, then turned a corridor to explore another part of the castle. The guard didn't stop her.

forest-png.33550

The Throne Room

@Sepdemonium, @PrincessLala95

fancy_divider.png

"Is it not beautiful out this morning?"

Christopher gave a slight nod of his head, his expression remaining serious as usual... though there was a hint of a smile in his eyes. "Indeed..." his purple gaze drifted towards the windows again, and for once in a while, he actually looked rather peaceful. "Although, almost every morning here tends to be beautiful. Even when it is cloudy and rains..." he mused, turning his attention back to the queen. His expression suddenly turned more serious.

"Yet here I am, all cooped up within my castle, forced to stay put and tend to those who need my help...meetings and appointments, it's all so tedious..."

A slight frown creased his forehead and he tilted his head to the side, watching her silently for a moment. "I suppose that in a way it is a shame. Someone young and sweet such as yourself shouldn't be locked up in a castle. Yet without all the hard work you do, the kingdom we so much love and cherish would crumble... that is not to say that you should never have the time to go outside... perhaps," he trailed off mid sentence, tapping his chin in thought as he considered what he should say next briefly, "perhaps it could be arranged at some point," he finally said, sincerely hoping he wasn't making some sort of promise he couldn't keep.

As someone entered, his hand instantly moved to the hilt of his sword and his entire body tensed. It was purely habitual, a reflex Christopher had developed over the years. He knew that anyone could be a potential enemy, even if thinking so made him see somewhat paranoid. Nevertheless it was his job to keep the queen safe, and that was what he was going to do no matter what it took. Wordlessly and soundlessly he moved to the side of the throne, his dark figure almost seeming to merge with the shadows as he silently stood by her side, keeping his eyes focused on the stranger. This was how he usually spent his days- following the queen like a shadow, keeping her from harm. It was a quiet job that required a lot of patience... but Christopher was content living this way. He had always been content with his role here in Astaeron.

Arianna nodded as Sepiroth spoke, and then stood slowly from her throne. As she rose to her feet, a pair of glittering silvery wings unfolded from where they had been tucked behind her body, shimmering and fluttering. She sauntered over to a small wooden table positioned just beside the balcony doors, on which there sat a few thick books with weathered pages, bound in leather. Arianna lifted a book from the top of the pile, the cover of which was a dull blue in colour, and returned to her seat in the throne, opening up the book and beginning to flip slowly through.

"Is there any area in town your King would particularly like? Perhaps near the gates so he can leave the business of the town with ease?" she asked, shifting her gaze back towards Sepiroth and maintaining her smile.

As she turned another page in the leather-bound book, she looked up at the woman who had been so patiently waiting.
"Are you also seeking a place to live? I'd hate to put this old thing back only to need it for you as well," she said with a bubbly, musical laugh.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Gladis
Arius LaVari didn't have much patience, so she walks past the guard, her scythe swung across her back. When the guard attempts to stop her, because of the scythe she glares at him, "I cannot use this on anyone who isn't meant to die, the Queen is safe from my scythe, do not try and take it again." Those luminescent green eyes of hers bore into the guard before he could say anything he went quiet. Her violent tendencies didn't particularly make her a danger to most, because it was true her scythe never worked on anyone who wasn't supposed to die at that time. As a Demon of Death that would be her job; she just needed to talk it over with the Queen...which could take awhile. She noticed that she was not the only one in need to see the queen, there were two others a woman with long brown hair and...a man? with long silver hair; from behind Arius couldn't entirely tell if the person was a man or woman, mostly because of the long hair.

With a sigh Arius runs a hand through her hair and glares slightly though she waits patiently, she didn't want to explore the castle, she wanted to talk about work and possibly finding a home. Her stance was stiff and she blinked as she stood up straight, her strict nature showing through as she stood staring and quietly waiting for her turn. She hoped this would all be solved quickly so she could get a home, she needed it after having gone missing inside the Dark Woods for 5 long years, somewhere she wondered if the Queen had seen her before, and if she had would she recognize the once happy and smiling girl.

Reactions: Spoopy
"yes your highest. My name is Celeste DeLuna. I am a traveler among other things, here seeking permanent housing." Celeste bow majestically as she always have towards royalty. "i also come in good tidings. Having just recently came from the far east, I cam across an interesting item."

From her magically endless purse she took out a miniature chest.
"I will give it whoever to be searched and found harmless. It is a jade pendent charmed to ward any harming magic. it is also said to glow when you are around your soul-mate,but no stock in rumors." Celeste winked at the Queen jokingly. She had stored plenty of magic in the pendent for it to work a lifetime.She thought the jade was beautiful, never having seen a natural piece so big. Celeste didn't know if the Queen would like it or even wear it, but she loved to give gifts.

Her smile gave away her happiness. Celeste was finally going to have a place to call home. She wondered what it would look like, if she could build onto it, or maybe if she would find her future husband in town.
"there a place available with plenty of space?" She thought about the future family she wanted.

Arianna smiled towards the woman, Celeste, as she spoke. She seemed friendly and pleasant, which Arianna liked, and also unafraid of being friendly with Arianna simply because of her royal status. She listened patiently to the woman's request, and then she gave a firm nod.

"Plenty of space is certainly doable," said Arianna softly. She turned a few pages in the large book, and then smiled. "There is an unoccupied home just off the town square, in fact. Just far enough to be away from all the noise, but close enough that the shops and whatnot are still within easy walking distance. It's listed as having a kitchen, two washrooms, a sitting room, three bedrooms, a storage room, and another empty room that could be used as a nursery or a crafting room of some sort. Would that work well for you?" Arianna certainly hoped it would. The one thing she did enjoy about the job was when people found their dream homes - the joy in their expressions, the smiles and thanks they gave to her before hurrying off to begin their lives... This particular house, from the description, would also have been Arianna's dream home - big enough for a family, but not as large as a castle. Three bedrooms was plenty - the castle had twenty seven guest rooms, not including Arianna's bedroom and the servants quarters downstairs.

Esther turned a corner and found herself in a large room with a long, ornate table. "This must be the dining room," she thought. A few servants were arranging dishes and cleaning the floor. They ignored Esther but for a glance. Apparently she wasn't their concern. A door on the other side of the room caught Esther's attention. The other doors around the room, including the one she had just come through, had scroll-work around their handles. That one was plain. "It must be intended for servants and not royalty," Esther thought, and headed for the door.

Esther was pleased to find herself in a busy kitchen. "All people eat," she thought, and offered her services.
"Hello, my name is Anna," Esther said meekly to a robust woman who seemed to have authority, "I was told to go help in the kitchen?"
"Good," the woman replied brusquely, "Are you any good at fish? No, I suppose not. Head over to the wash-bucket and scrub this pan." She thrust a piece of iron cookware into Esther's arms and turned to admonish another helper.

As Esther slowly cleaned the grime off the pan, her eyes searched the room and her ears collected what they could.
"This salmon is the best. Add some dill and lemon for Her Majesty."
It was nice of them to point out Esther's target for her. There was no need to waste good poison on servants. Esther checked to see that nobody was watching, then silently moved toward the designated meal as she reached inside her cloak for one of her powders.

Sepiroth notices the man in the shadows and inwardly smiles to himself, he supposes that things really aren't that different to here after all. Though he must admit, the man's seeming paranoia is misplaced, Sepiroth would never lay a hand on the queen in anyway. As he thinks about his his hand creeps into the bag he's being carrying with him and his slender fingers brush against a velvet case within. He smiles sadly as a conversation from long ago echoes in his mind, how things change. He feels his heart ache slightly but brushes it off. 'I have my lord and master, I need no one else.. any who would dare to try and hurt him, will be crushed. His will is my will, his happiness is my happiness. I am nothing without his regard, I am nothing without him.' Sepiroth mentally tells himself, repeating what he had no choice to many years back. But now Sepiroth understands that if you say something enough, it will come true.. he just hopes the loneliness, the agony, the madness and one day the memories.. will all come to an end, and he can finally rest. Maybe the Queen's guard is no different, but Sepiroth cannot help but think their differences are great indeed.

'will things ever get better? Is there still a place for me in the dream I once held? Would they even remember? Will I ever be able to rest again? Will I ever.. be able to break away and step out of his shadow? Will I ever be free of him? Will I ever drown my guilt? Will the sin ever be washed away? Will they ever forgive me
?'

these are the questions that ran through his head for so long, the questions that aided his insanity. Sepiroth feels crushed with the burden he has carried for many years, he feels repressed and unable to escape his fate. For a while he was consumed by numbing madness, he wishes he was now. At least nothing mattered back then, Sepiroth had given up for many years. In the dark cold dungeons, his youth and childhood.. 'maybe it would have being better to have never known anyone at all.' he muses mentally. 'we all would have being saved such heart break, we wouldn't have known what it was truly like to be hurt. Scars fade, wounds heal, bones mend.. but the heart is not so kind...isn't that right, Catarina?' and Sepiroth's heart is frozen, now made of stone. He feels hollow, a doll and puppet dancing to his master's tune. He's being an object so many years, that he almost lost himself to his master and the madness. But seeing this man has brought back questions that he hoped he had forgotten, which annoys him... and scares him. 'how can someone be content when playing a guard dog? That is no better then a jail sentence.' he thinks to himself.

He breaks out of his thoughts when the queen speaks. "actually.." he says with an embarrassed smile. "my lord would like an abode close to the dark forest, since it reminds him of home.." Sepiroth to would like their abode to be there, but for his own reasons. Even puppets must dream, and still waters run deep and dark.

He listens to the queen talk with the stylish women, if Sepiroth was a more confident man he would ask her where she got her outfit. As such he is not that kind of man, and his father might just kill him. Sepiroth tunes himself out of the conversation to be polite, stopping only when he catches the word soul mate. Even Sepiroth, cold and emotionless on the outside, cannot stop the sad smile that flickers on his lips when he hears that word. He gazes thoughtfully into his bag and thinks. 'soon that will mean nothing to me, once I have all the ingredients.' and for the first time in quite a while, Sepiroth feels excitement blossom in his heart. He's so close to his goal, and soon his plan will come into play.. far quicker then anyone would ever think.

@Gladis

A cart rumbled along the road slowly, the driver completely unaware of the black cat curled up in the back, eyes closed peacefully against the morning sunlight. It is only when the cart rattled to a stop for a moment that one of Tom's golden eyes lazily opened to take in his surroundings. He hesitated in thought for a moment before stretching himself out until his bones cracked satisfyingly. Casting a glance down at himself, the cat confirmed that both his bandana and the leather pouch tied around his neck were still in place before padding forward to the edge of the cart and gracefully jumping down just as it began to move forward. Now...where am I? He glanced around himself curiously before spotting a signpost a short distance away down the quiet road. He walked over and then sat down in front of it, tail wrapped around his legs and head tilted back so that he could see up to it. He supposed he'd make a fairly strange sight to any passersby, a cat reading a signpost. So Astaeron's the closest...seems as good a place as any to head to next.

Karine allowed her horse to pick carefully through the well-maintained cobblestone streets, her eyes watchful as she approached the town square. A packhorse trailed after her on a lead rein, bearing the articles she had deemed appropriate to carry from her previous life. There was precious little in the packs. Though she had followed a merchant caravan for most of her trip, she now rode alone though the safe and inviting city alone.

She adjusted her craftily designed traveling skirts and spread them across her thighs, though there was no need to avoid wrinkling the fabric. Her magical power was based in cloth and the art of tailoring, and all of her garments refused to show that she had been traveling for several weeks to reach the Kingdom of Astaeron. Unaccustomed to such time in the saddle, Karine was glad to finally reach her destination. Though she had only a few ideas about what awaited her in this new place she was confident that it was better than the city she had traveled from.

The huge fountain that dominated the square was as she remembered it, though years and adulthood had damped her enjoyment of its beauty. Merchants of all kinds bustled about in the sun, hawking their wares. Karine ignored them, confident that she could browse their goods at another time when she was settled. The ride leader of the caravan she had traveled with suggested that she request an audience with the queen upon her arrival in Astaeron, so the magnificent castle beyond the square held most of her interest. However, a young man attending a stall of beautiful silks attracted her attention. She dismounted and approached him, her left hand carefully leading the horse.

"Good day," the man said, holding his hand for Karine to shake. She did so, purposefully brushing her fingers across his sleeve. As the contact had been intentional, she was braced for the flood of emotions that enveloped her, blotting out her own. Karine smiled. The man was trustworthy.

"Hello," she said, her mood still bolstered by contact with his feelings despite having released his hand. "I am new in town, and I wished to inquire if you knew of someone who might watch my horses while I attended the queen." She produced a few coins in her hand, more than sufficient to pay for anyone's services in such an endeavor. Another benefit of traveling with merchants was that they had changed her money for her, and Karine was not destitute. She had hoarded funds as a dragon might while selling her magical services in secret, and hoped that caution would benefit her now.

The man regarded the money surreptitiously and then nodded. "My own horses are stabled nearby at my father's inn. Might I offer yours quarter there as well?"

"With my thanks,"
Karine replied. The man whistled clearly, and a young boy appeared from the back of the stall. He spoke to the boy, who nodded, and approached Karine.

"I will take your mounts in hand, lady." He told her. Karine handed him the reins, carefully touching his sleeve as well and confirming that his intentions were genuine. She handed him the coins.

After stepping away, she did take a moment to admire the castle's architecture, imagining a dress she could create that mimicked its arches, before heading towards the great building. She met no opposition as she entered the castle and headed towards the most ornate door she could find, determined not to ask for directions. It seemed obvious that the room in front of her might be the throne room, and she carefully entered the room, hanging at the back as she watched others converse with a beautiful woman perched on a throne.

Arianna gave Sepiroth a warm smile, nodding somewhat. She flipped a few pages in the book, leaving her free hand tucked between the pages where the home she hoped to give to Celeste was, looking through slowly.

"We have one, with two bedrooms, close enough to the forest...would that be of interest to you?" asked the young Queen, shifting her pretty blue eyes up towards Sepiroth only for a moment before spotting another woman coming through the door. She gave the woman a bright smile and a nod to let her know she was being acknowledged.

Arius LaVari had been waiting patiently listening to the conversations and assuming that the woman wanted such a large home for one because she wanted a family, Arius never let the thought cross her mind and her heart wilted a little bit more in her chest. She was far too close to death for such things and would always worry that she would have to take the lives of her family. She shakes the thought from her head and glances up for a moment noticing the Queen nodding at someone; it seemed to be Arius; but the young woman couldn't be entirely sure so she remained silent waiting for her turn.

Being bored and having nothing better to do would always make Arius want to do something, anything and so with a sigh she sung to herself to entertain herself, but it was a clear tune and carried well, if anyone was within ear shot they would probably pay close attention to what she sung, it was something quiet and peaceful, which didn't much suit with the image she exuded right now standing tall and straight with her hand inches from her scythe just in case something happened to the Queen, it may not be able to harm them if they weren't meant to die but it could still be intimidating and possibly scare someone off.

Celeste couldn't contain herself. She laughed and swirled around, Her dress flowed with her. " three bedrooms? that would be lovely!" Celeste started to imagine a home full of fun and laughter. She was happy beyond content. " a new beginning, thats what i want"

Arianna nodded quickly and flipped back to the page with the three-bedroom home, looking towards Celeste.

"In that case, it's all yours," she said with a grin. "It requires monthly payments of one hundred gold, and will take about three thousand gold to pay off completely, is that alright?" she continued.

Celeste nodded in agreement. "I have no problem paying the whole amount off now." she may not have a treasure room full of gold, but Her recent trip resulted in a handsome amount of gold and treasure. she snapped her fingers.

Outside her carriage rattled. what seemed like her coachman was actually a small golem. Celeste called the golem belle. The golem was another wondrous item Celeste picked up from her travels, and had seemed to become reanimated from Celeste's magic. the golem went into the carriage to bring Celeste the money she needed. the golem was not a proper golem, since it could not think for itself. It was more of a puppet of magic. Belle handed Celeste the pouch of gold.
"I can't wait to go shopping in this kingdom." Celeste was having too much fun.

"Today is the day, just a little bit more Kyo, you can do it. Once you are done, you can finally rest." I sigh, these self-sponsored pep talks really lost their effect after trudging through the dark woods. Had I known what would be lying in wait for me there, I would have girled-up and just detoured around. Instead I had my food stolen, and I had to use ghost magic for way too long. I feel so dizzy right now, I don't even know if I'm walking straight. I can't seem to focus on my surroundings properly, the buildings all seemed to meld into gibberish though. I just know that I need to see the queen of Astaeron as soon as possible. Usually I would write in advance, but I don't have any money to send a letter, and a message of this importance can't be trusted to the mail system anyway. I reel in pain as my head aches. Too much thinking, just need to stay focused on what is important. Just get to the queen.

I continue down the road to the castle. Many people stop to try and assist me, but I constantly reassure each one as they approach me, "I'm fine, you don't have to worry about me, I'm just a little under the weather." They don't believe me, but if I insist enough and give them a sincere smile they let me go anyway. I feel very hot. I probably have a fever again. My muscles feel like they are cramping up. Moving about is painful, but I only have a little bit more to go. I'm panting, panting like a dog. I can't catch my breath. I don't want to stop, but suddenly I see the sky overtake my sight. I was looking up? Owww. I land flat on my back, just steps from the outside of the castle. I cough violently, gasping for air. I really want to cry, but if I do, people will know something is wrong. I need to see the queen now. Maybe, if I just allow myself to rest a bit... I crawl over to the side of the building, leaning against it. I didn't expect it to feel so good. I nearly fall asleep, but I stop myself. I won't be able to get up on my own if I allow myself to rest. Just a little more, and I need to remember my manners.

I make my approach for the gates, but a guard stops me, placing a hand on my forehead, "Miss, you are running a very high fever. You should go rest."

I can't say that the guard isn't wrong, but my message comes first, "I'll be ok, I just have a message for the queen, its really important. I came here as fast as I could so I could tell her. I can rest afterward." I take a few more steps, but that only worries the guard more. "Don't push yourself, I'll call someone over to escort you to the queen. I don't know what is so dire that you have to come in a state like this, but I wish you good fortune." The guard calls another guard not currently on active duty, and he lifts me off my feet. I'm a bit embarrassed, but all things considered, it is probably best this way.

Reaching the throne room, I excuse the guard who proceeds to inform the attendant of my arrival, and I stand by the door waiting to be summoned.

Upon hearing someone else entering the Arius glances over her shoulder at the little girl who looked feverish and frowned, her scythe wasn't glowing so the little girl wasn't going to die any time soon but Arius found herself worried about the young girl so she turns to her and speaks to her in a gentle tone, that she wasn't used to using, but children required delicacy when dealing with them usually. "Are you sure you should be here little girl? You look to be in a hurry so I will let you speak to the Queen ahead of me if you'd like, I'm only looking for a home so I've got the patience to wait longer." She lightly steps back watching the little girl carefully just to be sure that she would be all right, it also occurs to her to call out to the Queen lightly since the door was open. "My Lady...there's a little girl here to see you and she looks sick, I don't mean to interrupt but I feel you should check on what she needs quickly..." Arius bowed lightly in apology for interrupting the Queen but it seemed urgent and Arius felt that the child needed rest.