The Job Interview

How well do you handle interviewing?

• I'm a delight and people should be privileged to consider hiring me

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • I research the company and the position, and prepare enough to be cool and calm during the interview

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Anxious and nervous, no matter how much I prepare!

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Last minute cramming/suit shopping/research

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I haven't had a job interview before

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ᴘᴀɴɪᴄ! ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡ

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Absinthe

makes the heart grow fonder
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Look for groups
  2. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. Multiple posts per week
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
Online Availability
8am - 11.30pm GMT
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Modern, Horror, Dystopian, Scifi, Superhuman, Steampunk
I made a mistake recently, Iwaku. I'm not too long in my current job, but when a posting came up for a position I was interested in, I applied anyway. A job based on a different continent, in a different division, with skillsets I'm working towards, but not quite sharp enough yet. Between that, and my new position, I figured I'd be rejected outright but maybe given resources to upskill, or maybe a new work mentor to connect with. There's no way they'd seriously consider me as a candidate, right?

WRONG.

I'm interviewing next week, and frankly, I'm absolutely terrified. I'm an anxious, introverted mess at the best of times, and interviews do not help that one bit. Particularly when I'm working for a company that doesn't follow the traditional 'rules; of interviewing all too closely. But, at the end of the day, it's part of life and it never turns out as bad as I think it's going to be. I'm spending the weekend polishing my technical knowledge and practicing not looking too unstable on camera... but at least I don't have to wear a suit.

We're fond of character interviews on Iwaku, but how does the real life you handle being in the hot seat? Any good strategies to share, to prepare for the interview, or to help keep a cool head during the process?

I'm at the annoyingly arrogant point in my career where I can very smugly show my resume and expect instant job. Even still, I continue to use the same techniques for interviews. One of the main things I try to help people to do when they interview for a job is to prepare questions for their prospective company as well. Remember: this isn't a one-way interview. You have the right and opportunity to "interview" them as well by asking questions, and most companies are impressed by candidates that take an interest in them besides "gib job, need money." Here's some good follow-up questions to ask that are pretty universal for any field:
  • What is the company environment like here?
  • Is overtime/weekend hours required for this position?
  • Is there anything that you would like clarification on?
  • What do you like best about working here? (get it straight from their mouths. If they're scrambling for an answer, rUN)

I know a lot of people think sending a thank you card after an interview is outdated, but I promise you that it remains impactful. Companies interview dozens, if not hundreds, of Himbos every day for that position. Doing your best to stand out will only benefit you.

ALSO NEVER TELL YOUR NEW COMPANY YOUR OLD SALARY. I know some people panic on the "What is your desired pay range?" and just spurt out whatever number they used to have. No; you stop that. Don't give any company a chance to lowball you. When they inevitably ask you that stoopid question (because let's be real, they have a set number in their head already) you say "based on my skills and experiences, the normal pay range would _____ to _____." Google that crap beforehand. KNOW YOUR WORTH

• Useful
Reactions: Absinthe
I'm always nervous but it doesn't show. I also have questions I like to ask. After all Kuno is right. it's not a one-way street! Most places EXPECT you to have questions! So here are some of mine:
What's the dress code?
Do you have restrictions on nail color? (that's a fun one because people get confused and I clarify that I've seen places restrict nail color.)
What are the benefits? (after all if the pay is lower than what you had before, better be some dang good benefits. If they can't follow up with it......consider a different job.)

• Love
Reactions: Absinthe
It's better than getting a job at the Circus. I've been mauled by lions. I've had to clean up elephant crap. I even had to join in on a clown act. Which that's the reason I left. I hate clowns. Even Tim Curry's Pennywise scares me. And I'm part homotherium.

All I've learned in my few job interviews that didn't go anywhere was: The worst they can do is say "No." You have no reason to be nervous. It's not like they're going to chain you to a rack and interrogate you through torture. At worst, you don't get the job. At best, they offer you the position and you give your two weeks' notice at your current position and plan to uproot your life to move for this new job. I did see a few good points listed in here already that I'll reiterate amidst giving my own advice:

Thank them for their time, first and foremost.

If they ask you whether or not you have any questions for them, ask:
What's the team dynamic like?
What's your company dress code?
What is the day-to-day like for this position?
What does success look like in this company? What are the opportunities for growth?
Benefits?

If they ask you what you would like/expect to be paid, simply answer with that you want/expect to be fairly compensated. Don't give a number. You don't want to be overly humble and low-ball your wages, but you don't want to come off as arrogant either.

Don't give references unless they ask, especially if there's a chance that one of your former employers might not give you a good review. BUT! In that case, look up your state laws regarding what an employer can and cannot say. I don't know if it's nationwide (I live in the US for reference), but at least in my state, your former employers are NOT allowed to talk about what kind of employee you were. They can only say that you worked for them and confirm the timeline of your employment. They can't say, "Oh well, they were a lazy worker. Not motivated." Anything like that. I don't think they're even allowed to tell how much you earned. It's grounds for a lawsuit.

Just be yourself and good luck!

EDIT: I totally forgot! Do NOT forget to send a thank you note!!! An email is fine, but don't forget! Like within the same day, maybe within an hour or two of the end of the interview. DON'T WAIT! I forgot once, and I believe that is what cost me that particular job. Just thank them for their time (again) and their consideration, and say that you look forward to hearing from them. Nothing fancy. But. DO IT.

Last edited:
Yes to asking all the questions and the thank you notes or emails! If nothing else, for my interview this week, one of the questions I asked prompted the interviewer to remember me from an event a couple of years ago.

My former boss told me he didn't expect everyone to ask questions, and didn't hold it against candidates if they didn't... but asking about opportunities to upskill, certify and be mentored were always positives! Because I was applying for a promotion into a different department, I asked about getting feedback on my application, and resources on how to improve my application if I didn't make the cut this round. The interviewer let me know that he loved seeing that kind of enthusiasm for the role. I do work in IT though, I can't imagine that would work for every job!

I work remotely full time, and have done since before the pandemic, but even if the role looks to be office based it's always worth asking about working from home. My friend mentioned in an interview recently that flexible working was important to her, they're making accommodations for her so she can work from home three days out of five.