The Island Virus

It was all getting to be a little too much. First, the undead humans were bad enough, seeing as they should only exist in video games and movies. But now they had to deal with rats, and who knows what other animals too.

Blair sat down, or more, she sank down to her knees. "Oh Luke," she said gently, not looking up, "We're going to die, aren't we?"

"NO.," Luke said, sternly. "No, were aren't. We're gonna beat this. It's not going to get to us, nor take us down. We'll find out what's going on, who's in charge, and we are gonna get the hell outta here..."

He turned and smiled at her.

"I mean 'cause hey, we got each other, right?"

She looked up at him and nodded. "I suppose so, that does make it better," she said, smiling gently and sniffling a little. She stood up, leaning back against the wall and looking down at her feet. "But... Well, how are we going to get out of here? Those things are probably making a ruckus and attracting attention," she said thoughtfully.

"I'm guessing that there has to be a backdoor to this place. No self respecting military establishment DOESN'T have an escape hatch of some kind for an emergency. Help me look behind shelves and such," Luke said turning around and practically shoving an empty pantry shelf out of the way.

"Oh, and grab any other food you see, we'll need it."

He turned back to keep searching, but the dog kept getting in his way. Muttering under his breath and shoving the dog away fixed it for a bit, but soon the dog was back. And this time it was taking nips at his legs. Once, the dog hit flesh.

"OW DAMMIT!" he yelled bending over to nurse the injury. The dog nuzzled his face and got his attention. "WHAT!?"

Then he saw the dog run through a medium-sized flap in the wall. He mentally face-palmed.

"Blair, food. Help me grab and go."

She nodded and began searching for any more food and any means of escape. She found a few bags of chips, stashed away, but no way to get out. Blair turned quickly as Luke shouted. "Are you alright?" she asked, though he immediately told her to help him. She saw the dog running through the gap and nodded, grabbing some food.

After they had nice piles of food in both sets of arms, they scurried through the flap and ran to catch up to the dog. The more they ran, the more the forest thinned out. After a couple minutes of flat out sprinting, not only were they tired... but had arrived at an interesting place.

"Who knew...?" was all Luke could say.

In front of them, was an abandoned city. He listened closely, but didn't hear any scurrying: meaning no rats. He nudged Blair to the nearest doorway and closed the door quickly. They were in a video store. Well, at least they would have a way to pass time.

Blair raised an eyebrow at the sight, but said nothing as Luke ushered her into the nearest store. "Luke, are you sure we should be here?" she whispered. "There could be... Those things everywhere." She looked around the video-store cautiously, then leaned against a wall.

"Dunno Blair. Most I can hope for is for there to at least be one person on this island, besides us, that isn't dead and makes enough sense to explain things."

Luke put his armful of food on the counter, and called out to the dog. Whistling lowly, he heard scratching at the door. He cracked it open, saw the dog and nothing else, and let her in.

"You are nothing but trouble aren't you? First you bark and run, then you bring rats to us, and now you didn't follow inside the first time. Silly girl," he muttered petting her. The dog merely barked happily. Luke walked over to Blair and gave her a quick hug, showing his support. "And don't worry, the more dangerous the occasion, the faster we'll run!" He finished his statement with a wide smile.

Blair remained where she was, watching him, then looking back around. She could hardly hold it in anymore, she wanted to sit in a corner and cry for a while. There was... Impending doom everywhere. Sure, if they found someone, that person could help them escape, but she doubted it. If someone knew how to escape from this place, they probably already had.

She sighed and leaned against him, biting her lip and burying her face in his chest. "But Luke... I just... Want to go home..." Balir said, holding onto him tightly. "This really sucks. I really like you, but this is the worst possible place to tell you, because well... It just sucks," she said, sighing.

As she said that, she had a sudden idea and she pulled away from Luke, looking up at him. "Wait! We're on an island, in a city, so there's probably docks. Do you think they might have a boat there or something?"

Luke's eyes lit up. "Hey, Yeah!" he shouted. "If we find a working boat, we could be in for an easy way out, huh?" Luke kissed her heartily at that point, holding nothing back. He pulled away after a bit and grinned. "You always were the smart one in class. We should eat something first though."

And at that, he grabbed a granola bar and ripped the wrapper open with his teeth. No mold, no dust, no bugs. Perfect. So he bit into it and enjoyed the taste of oats and honey with great relish. He ate another 2 of those, then got into a space-frozen ice-cream thing. No problems with it either, and he enjoyed it as well.

She smiled up at him, taken aback as he kissed her, but kissing back nonetheless. When he pulled away, she nodded and smiled again. "Definitely, I'm starving," she said, going to look through the pile. She found a few pop-tarts, eating those happily, but slowly so she could enjoy the taste. Once she finished, she leaned against the counter and looked at him.

Blair laughed a little as she watched him. "If you eat so much, you'll get fat and attract attention from zombies," she joked, ruffling his hair.

"Hey, I have metabolism like a 5 year old, food only fills me temporarily before I'm wailing for more later," he replied with a grin. After they finished eating, Luke took a look around the store, noticing some titles, not recognizing others, and seeing some oldies he liked to watch from time to time. After seeing one in particular, he grabbed it and showed Blair.

"Hey Blair, check this out: Robin Hood - Men in Tights by Mel Brooks. I haven't seen this one in a while. Think I'll take it," Luke said, with a smirk on his face. "I mean, not like there's anyone to pay or say NO right?"

She smiled and laughed gently. As he looked around, she wandered into the horror section automatically. She looked up as he spoke, grinning widely. "Hey, I love that movie. You could take it," she replied, looking thoughtful. "But if there's no working boat, we'll have to find a working TV somewhere in here."

Luke kept the movie in his hand while he looked for a door to the back of the store. All stores had a back, for employees to relax in while the day was slow. Once he found the door (it was hidden behind an Ocean's Eleven poster) he entered, found a TV and some comfy (albeit dusty) Lay-Z-Boys, then called Blair over.

"We've got a movie date with Destiny, so get over here! After this, we'll go look for that boat!" he called out to her.

She followed him, stepping lightly and not making any noise. "Oh?" she said, peeking in. "This is cool," she said, walking in and looking around. "Alright."

The movie was enjoyable and the company was even more so. After the cinematic experience was over, Luke leaned over and kissed Blair again. He smiled, then got up and stretched.

"Ok, I promised we would go look for that ship, and seeing as how I'm for some reason stalling, I suppose we should go now. We ARE in an infested city I guess, and I'm only gonna guess that we were safe last night because we were in a bunker. Lord knows what these things do at night." As Luke stretched, he felt something in his pants in the back, he felt there- and found the gun. He still had it... huh. "Maybe we should look for an ammunition store or something as well, get some more rounds for the gun. Maybe get you something to defend yourself with as well."

She watched the movie happily, leaning against him a little. Blair returned the kiss, smiling and looking up at him. "Why are you stalling?" she asked, smirking playfully. She walked up behind him, wrapping her arms around him. "What do you suggest for me?" she asked, letting him go and stepping forward. "Really, I can only handle smaller guns, but I could use a big one if I have to," she said, smiling at him.

As they went to open the door of the video store, Luke heard grunting just outside. He opened the door a bit, and saw a whole crowd of the undead, traversing the streets. They were merely ambling along, bumping into each other, and Luke saw all kinds of them. Men, women, even some children, all dead, and all of them were walking around. Luke turned to Blair with horror in his eyes.

"Um, Blair? We may have to run for that probable ship. Look," he said then let her look outside.

She followed him, stepping back as soon as he heard the grunts. "Luke, are you crazy? We'll never make it, we don't even know where the docks are," she whispered. "Why did they all just show up like that? What if they can smell us or something?"

Luke shook his head. He didn't know, maybe they had ESP for all he cared. All he knew was that they were stuc-

"OUT OF MY WAY, YOU ZOMBIE FUCKERS, YOU!!!"

Someone shouted this at the top of their lungs, and Luke then heard the rev of an engine. Some metallic beast outside roared to life, then began to get closer. Luke looked back outside just in time to see some huge muscly guy in a huge makeshift military APC plow his way through half the crowd of the undead.

'Holy shit we may get out of here after all' Luke thought to himself, as he grabbed the gun out of the back of his pants. He turned to Blair.

"C'mon, we gotta flag this guy down."