The Island Virus

Blair glanced at him, sighing a little. "It's not a comic Luke," she said, turning back to it. Blair read through the folder, reading out the more important parts.

"A... Genetic enhancer of some sort was made. It was supposed to make people, like, super strong. They were going to test it on some animals first... Something started going wrong and people started dying."

"People dying..." Luke muttered. Then he sat up quickly, almost making Blair fall off. "People dying?!? That... no, wait that can't be right... huh." Then Luke leaned back again. He thought back to the two people they had fought... well... HE had fought, how they had looked like they were decaying, yet still alive. Had they... had they been a part of this experiment? He closed his eyes again, thinking.

Blair had gripped his arm tightly as he sat up, almost falling. "That's true..." she murmured gently, leaning forward thoughtfully. Blair clicked somethig, a video entry, and watched for a few moments.

A man was talking about a few people who had gone missing, as well as screeches being heard, like animals being attacked. Then, a loud sound was heard in the back, some shouting and screaming. The man stood and left, shutting off the video.

"Something bad happened here," Blair murmured, turning to Luke.

"Something bad, indeed. Nothing we can do while we... or rather... 'I'... are tired. We need to find a room to hole up in, and I need to catch some Z's. 'Cause I'm about to pass out."

Luke said this, then hugged her again and got up. He traveled, yawning, through the bunker looking for a place that was safe so he could sleep.

She nodded, sighing a little. "I'm sorry Luke... I've been pretty useless, huh?"

Blair stood up and walked after him slowly and quietly. Looking around anxiously. The dog would've been barking if there was anything bad in there, but still, she was worried. "They had to have had a place to sleep," she murmured, opening a door and peeking into a room.

"No, Blair... you're not useless... I can make sure of that... make sure you don't ever feel useless," Luke replied. He opened another door and saw a bunk suspended in the corner of the room. He turned to Blair and shrugged.

"Looks like there's only one, heh, care to join me? I promise I won't try anything... yet," Luke said with a grin.

Blair giggled gently, nodding. "I'd love to join you," she replied, stepping into the room after him. "One of us should stay awake though, don't you think? If those things got out, they can probably get back in," Blair said, sitting down. She looked up at him. "You sleep first though, I'll make sure you have a nice rest," Blair told him.

Luke nodded and crawled into the bunk, then turned to help her into it. As she crawled in, he pulled out and handed her the gun.

"Use this, just in case. And for the love of God... don't practice in here," Luke said with a big smile. Then he rolled onto his back, closed his eyes, and fell asleep again.

Blair took the gun and laughed a little. "Don't worry Luke, I can handle it," she assured him. She watched him for a second, reaching over and stroking his hair soothingly for a moment, smiling. She pulled away, thinking, Don't wake him up! Blair turned to the door, keeping her ears alert for any sounds, wondering where the dog ran off to.

Luke felt the touch of his hair, maybe is was fake... in his dream maybe... but he hoped it had been real. As he slept, he thought. Happened more often than not that he would sleep and still have coherent thought. He had actually liked Blair for a long time, since he had first seen her walk into the classroom on the first day of class. And now... it would seem that she liked him too! How much better could things get!? It was a rhetorical question to be honest, as they WERE on an undead infested rock God-knows-where... So things could be better if they weren't here.

As he was thinking, his mind was playing through the day in the background. He saw the boat, the storm, the -gulp- bodies, the undead, the dog, then he saw himself kiss Blair again.

As he slept, a smile played across his face.

Blair noticed the smile on his face and wondered for a second if he was awake. He didn't seem awake, so he was probably having a nice dream. It was a relief, that after all that had happened he could still have a nice dream. Blair's head fell to the pillow next to his, her eyes slowly starting to close, despite the fact that she knew she shouldn't fall asleep.

She tapped his shoulder a little. "Luke.. I'm getting... Sleepy," she said in-between yawns.

Luke opened his eyes to Blair tapping him and stretched. He had gotten at least 4 hours of sleep, so he was feeling better. He turned over and saw Blair looking at him with tired eyes. He smiled, gave her a peck on the forehead, took the gun back and got up. He stretched, found a chair, and sat down near the entrance. He whistled quietly so as to not wake Blair, but at a volume he was hoping the dog could hear. After an hour or two, he got up and explored the bunker. He found a small military kitchen. He found some basic ingredients, but not much had lasted. He found spices, instant noodles, and some of the weird food that the astronauts took with them into space. Happy that he found nourishment, he took all tat he could grab and returned to the room. He made two more trips like this, piling the food into a corner.

Blair closed her eyes as soon as he got up, quickly falling asleep. She didn't hear any noises or feel any of his movements, curling up and gripping the bed-sheets tightly. Unlike Luke, she was having nightmares and not anything to make her smile. There was a slight frown on her face as she dreamt about one of the undead men. She was all alone, defenseless, and couldn't even scream.

After about 5 hours, there was a nice pile of food and Luke was relaxing in the chair. He looked over to see his female counterpart slightly squirming and looking pained in her sleep. He stood and walked over to her, nudging her.

"Hey... Blair..." She stopped her budging and pained expression. Luke decided to let her sleep more and returned to the doorway. He left the room and searched a room he had found earlier. He found a very large piece of metal, part of an old door he thought. He carried and dragged it to the doorway, making a makeshift barrier, and fell asleep in the chair.

She woke up an hour after he fell asleep, looking around slowly. It wasn't a dream... We're really here... She thought, sighing a little. Blair turned to the sleeping Luke and then to the pile of food. She smiled when she looked back at him, getting a little idea. Yawning a little, she stood and walked over to him, climbing onto his lap and laying her head on his chest, falling asleep peacefully.

If Luke had felt Blair get into his lap, he didn't show it. He sat there, sleeping dreamless-ly...

After another 2 or 3 hours, he woke up. And after seeing Blair on his lap, he leaned down and gave her a peck on the lips. Right as he did, he heard a bark. His eyes went wide, THE DOG. At this, he shook Blair to get her to wake up.

Blair felt him shaking her, her eyes opening slowly. "Eh... What is it Luke?" she muttered, rubbing her eyes. Upon hearing the dog's bark again, she stood up. "Oh no... What's happening?" she asked.

"I don't know, but I'm gonna go find out."

Luke got up smoothly and ran to the barrier, kicking the metal out of the way. Running down the hallway, he arrived at the entrance and heard the bark again, coming from a few yards away.

"DOG!" he called, whistling. "C'mon girl! Come to Papa!"

Right as he finished his calling, the dog burst from the bushes... with a horde of decaying rats chasing her.

"Oh shit-" he hissed as the dog ran past him into the bunker. Luke turned and fled back into the bunker. Running back to the room he grabbed Blair and pulled her quickly.

"No time to explain," he said quickly, rushing them to the kitchen. It had a working lockable door and Luke used that just as himself, the dog, and Blair got inside.

Blair looked after him, worried as she stepped over to the door and peeked out. A few minutes later, Luke grabbed her and pulled her along into the kitchen.

"What's going on?" she questioned once they were in the kitchen and he had locked the door. "What was out there? Was it more of those... People?"

"No! Freaking... RATS! Undead rats! A whole swarm of em! Chasing Lulu- er, the dog!" Luke breathed out. He could hear them scrambling all over the food pile in the room he had left.

FUCK, he thought, kicking himself mentally. The only positive thing was that he hadn't grabbed all the food. There was still some left in the kitchen, but a good 3/4 had been piled in that room. And now some zombie rats were eating it all, or at the very least, making it unedible with whatever they carried: disease or no he didn't care to find out.