The Island Virus

Blair shivered as she lay next to him. "Luke, I can't sleep," she said, her eyes closed.

"I want to go home, something really bad is happening here." She sat up and curled up into ball, looking at the tree branches. "This really sucks," she said quietly. "We need to find people and call home or call the coast guard or something."

"We will," Luke replied. "We have to sleep though. After we get up, we'll have more energy for tomorrow. If you think about it, we've been awake for almost 48 hours. Being unconscious just doesn't cut it."

Luke gave her a big grin.

"If it makes you feel better, I'll stay up for a bit and keep watch okay? When I think the coast is clear I'll sleep too."

She shook her head, laying back down. Blair gripped his shirt, closing her eyes slowly. She smiled slightly, "No... You need to sleep too."

She opened her eyes again and looked at him. "After all, if you fall asleep while walking, what'll I do?" Blair asked, her tone a little joking.

"Right...," Luke muttered to himself. He lay down and curled up next to Blair for warmth. He would take a better look at the body tomorrow. But Blair was right, right now he needed sleep. He closed his eyes and drifted off.

Blair fell asleep soon after, listening to the eerie silence that had come over the forest. She slept dreamlessly and woke up just as the sun was rising.

Luckily, no noises had awoken them during the night. In the morning, everything seemed to be quiet. Of course, now, more noises could be heard in the forest. Blair sat up, staring out at the forest. She shivered a little and turned back to Luke. "Hey... Wake up..." she whispered, putting a hand on his chest.

"AAGGHH!" Luke shouted as he awoke, sitting bolt upright very quickly and breathing hard. He had been having nightmares all night of the body. That it would get up, climb the tree and kill them both. He looked around quickly, then noticed he had practically scared the shit outta Blair.

"Oh..." he muttered. "I'm sorry 'bout that."

He stretched a little, then smiled at her meekly.

Blair dug her nails into the tree as Luke shouted. She became tense, even as he apologized and gave her a weak smile. "Are you alright?" she asked, reaching out a hand to touch his shoulder.

As Lair's hand touched his shoulder, he reached up and placed his hand on her's.

"Yeah, I'm all good now. Just a nightmare," he replied, patting her hand. He looked around seeing it was day-time and began to pack things up. He handed her a bottle of water and a bag of chips from the backpack. "Might as well eat up, we gotta walk today."

She nodded and quietly opened the bag of chips. "L-Luke," she said, her voice wavering. "That thing yesterday... Do you think there's more...?" Blair asked, looking worried.

Luke closed his eyes and breathed in deeply.

"I don't know, Blair. But if there are: I think we need to be prepared to do... anything we need to to survive. And if that means having to kill: then we need to be ready to resort to that."

He opened his eyes and smiled at her more strongly.

"Besides, you got me right? I'll protect ya. But we should still practice... things. I don't know, knife-work? Close Quarters Combat? Things like that. We need to make sure we will be safe."

Blair sighed a little. "Alright, let's practice," she said. She smiled a little, "After all, I can't be relying on you the whole time. That'd be unfair."

She rolled up one of her sleeves and forced a gentle laugh. "I took self-defense courses back home, so I'm not too helpless." She looked at Luke, still a little worried.

Luke climbed down the tree, grabbed some brush and covered the body so that they didn't have to see it, took his shirt off and took a stance from Kosho Ryu Kempo.

"Alright, when you get down here, come at me," he said to Blair.

Blair climbed down the tree after Luke, turning away while he covered up the body. She stared at him reluctantly as he told her to go at him. "Um... Alright..." she said hesitantly.

She took a deep breath and lunged at him.

Man, it's been forever since I studied this stuff.

That thought flashed into Luke's head as he blocked the first blow Blair threw at him. He brushed it aside and decided to let his instincts take control. He grabbed her arm, bent it at the elbow, used it to turn her around and gave her a light shove to send her back where she was. His arm was hurting from the block before as he didn't block correctly, but other than that, he was good to go for more.

"Ok," he said, smirking. "Don't hold back. Knock me on my ass."

Blair stumbled a little before regaining her balance. "I don't want to hurt you though," she said. She couldn't help but laugh. "Actually... I don't want YOU to hurt ME."

She stood for a moment, calculating her next move.

Luke took this time to check his arm. Yep, he took a knuckle right to the bone, and because of his slightly skinny arms, it would bruise.

Oh well
, he thought. Such is life... if you consider "life" as being stranded on a desert island in the middle of nowhere with the danger of freaky decaying people eating you. This vacation got messed up.

Finally, she went at him again, this time ducking down, attempting to tackle him to the ground. Blair knew she would probably get thrown aside again, but she could at least try.

Luke was caught off guard. He was thinking too much to pay attention. He snapped back to reality as Blair grappled him around the waist and took him to the ground, hard. He felt the pain from his tailbone jolt up his back.

That was a good tackle, he thought, as he winced in pain. He looked at her and blushed a little, noticing that she was now lying on his chest. He didn't say anything for a while, but then thought about being rescued again.

"Um, not that this isn't enjoyable, but we should probably keep moving. Getting rescued is important, right?"

Blair blushed a little, jumping to her feet quickly. "Oh of course, getting rescued is the most important thing ever." She held out her hand to help him out. "I didn't hurt you, did I? I'm sorry," Blair said, looking slightly nervous.

"Who me? Ah, nah. I'm all good. Nice tackle though," Luke replied. He took her hand and let her help him up. They preceded to pack up their make-shift camp, then continued on their way. The woods were louder today, lot's off birds were out. Big difference from yesterday and that... THING.