Saraph almost paused his playing, but if he had, she would have stopped. So, he only changed the pitch to something lower, but faster. He wanted to see if she could keep up with his playing. After a few minutes of playing, his finger slipped and twanged the wrong chord, abruptly interrupting the melody. Swiveling his finger on the string, he said, "I apologize. It has been quite some time since I have played. I am also in possession of a clavier. You call it a... piano, or a keyboard, I believe, as well as an amati, or... violin, in your world. I have not, however, been able to acquire what you call a flute."

He paused before he set the lyre down on the counter. "Would you like to hear me play? I do not use instruments when I sing. Many hear me and listen without the aid of music, and so I will not use it tonight. I do not know if you heard Bina, but she has asked for you to show yourself at a feast tonight. I am to sing for you and the other humans. I do not know what this signifies, but it is always a pleasure to be asked to use my voice."

The pitch got lower and the tempo of the music sped up. Lyra's vocal chords kept up with the harmonious sounds from the harp-like instrument flawlessly and continuously until he plucked a string off key and wrong for the melody. Lura's eyes opened wide at the noise and she stopped singing immediately. A light blush came to her cheeks when she realized what she had been doing, but she was glad he didn't mention her voice.
"I apologize. It has been quite some time since I have played. I am also in possession of a clavier. You call it a... piano, or a keyboard, I believe, as well as an amati, or... violin, in your world. I have not, however, been able to acquire what you call a flute." Lyra listened to his words and pulled the ribbon out of her hair to tie it around her wrist. She combed through her soft, long hair as he set the beautiful lyre on the counter and continued to speak.
"Would you like to hear me play? I do not use instruments when I sing. Many hear me and listen without the aid of music, and so I will not use it tonight. I do not know if you heard Bina, but she has asked for you to show yourself at a feast tonight. I am to sing for you and the other humans. I do not know what this signifies, but it is always a pleasure to be asked to use my voice."
Lyra couldn't wait to hear his voice. Surely he had a voice as pure and skillfull as when he played his lyre.
"Yes. I heard. Normally, I don't much enjoy such settings with so many people I'm expected to socialize with, but if I get to hear you sing and learn more about this island, I'll accept the invitation. Hey Saraph? I thought that Cloudis were part bird. So why do you have pointy ears and why do you pierce them?" She had wanted to ask that question earlier, but she got distracted by the magnificent Life-fire.

The question didn't surprise him, but what did catch him off-guard was how he lacked an answer. Cloudis did have an interesting body type, but no one had every really wanted to know why. "I cannot say that I know. Some of us possess talons on our feet and others do not. We all have tapered ears and wings. There are a select few who have beaks instead of a mouth as you see it. We are different, just like humans. You have people who have different skin colors, correct? It is the same principle. As for why we pierce them, well, birds on your wold are attracted to shiny objects, and we covet gold and gems as they do."

Allowing her to lean on his arm again, Saraph picked up the lyre moved down a short hall into a room. In the corner was a massive piano-looking instrument. It was propped up with strings on the inside, but there were only two pedals and it was unable to move like other pianos with wheels. Propped in another corner, there was a violin, or amati, as Saraph had called it. Outside of the two and a chair accompanied by a small table, the room was empty. He allowed Lyra to sit in the chair before he placed the lyre beside her. "I always wished to fill this room with instruments and learn each one, but, I lack the resources and knowledge to do so."

Last edited:
Lyra found it quite interesting that Cloudi had differences just like humans. She liked that there were so many similarities between them even if their worlds were so seperated. Saraph again helped her move down a short hall. She found it easier to stand still than to move, but it shouldn't be too bad at the feast...which she was unsure if she was dressed properly for. If she had a choice, she'd probably have changed out of her black tanktop and dark wash jeans and returned his robe as well, but it was pointless to think that way since she didn't have the option. He led her into a music room where she sat down in the only chair and marveled at the fine instruments kept so pristine. They were just as beautiful as everything else in this world. Like his eyes. "Why can't you gain the knowledge and recources? What's preventing you?"

Saraph moved away to sit down in front of his clavier, fingers swiping along the keys. They had little ivory, so some keys were ivory and others were not. Still, they didn't rub together as he pushed down. The melody created was a little hollower than a standard piano, but it still held the soft notes. His head lifted and turned at her question, but he didn't hold her gaze for long. "We do not have metals as you do, and while I understand how a wooden flute would appear, I do not have any instruction on how to craft such an instrument. We have books only on certain music-makers. I was not the only one to contribute to this project," he said, a low clavier note following his words as his finger pressed down.

"I only keep it in my home because I am one of the few who understands how to play. We have many ancient notes and songs, but without proper knowledge, we do not know how to read them. We play by the sounds we hear, and if it grows into a melody, we will do our best to record it."

Still, despite his explanation, he turned back to the instrument. Fingers placed in an almost standard position, he pressed, music flowing the clavier. It turned into a song, one that swirled into the air and out of the cracked windows. He closed his eyes, but he didn't lose the melody.

((Well, it's not really an ancient song, but I linked something that you can listen to and visualize. :3))

Reactions: Ravenbelle
Oh right. Of course they wouldn't have metal because they don't live on land... Lyra closed her eyes and listened closely to the old and simple melody. It was very beautiful just like everything else he did. By the way he spoke she could tell that he loved music. He seemed very dedicated to making music and he did so with significant skill. Lyra only knew the basics about reading music, but maybe she could try to help them play the ancient songs they found and maybe even write their own. She would have mentioned this immediately, but the song he played was too perfect too interrupt.
Once the song came to a fading end, Lyra broke the silence left over from the clavier's tune with a soft voice. "I can read music if that's the kind of knowledge you need. Unfortunately, I can't play anything very well except the vocal chords, but if your clavier has the standard 64 keys I might be able to play something that you can't read. And teach you to write in the language of music. I'm no expert, but if it would help, I'd be willing to try." She offered. If she gave him such a gift, would he enjoy it?

Wings fluttered as he stood, moving to close the top over the clavier's keys when she spoke. He listened before he considered. It would be a wonderful addition, even if he couldn't get the materials he wanted to make other instruments. Wandering over to the viola, he picked up the bow, bending it slightly. "You would do this for me? Even if your knowledge is limited, it is vast compared to what little I know. I do not know how long it will take your human group to finish repairs to your vehicle, but I wish to learn."

Saraph picked up the amati, thumbing the strings. "If you cannot play any instruments, I have the ability to teach you. I do not have the academic intelligence you possess, but I understand how music can stir the soul of anyone."

Saraph's wings fluttered beautifully as he stood to close the top of the pia-clavier and step over to the viola.
"You would do this for me? Even if your knowledge is limited, it is vast compared to what little I know. I do not know how long it will take your human group to finish repairs to your vehicle, but I wish to learn."
She smiled. Of course she would. He'd done so much for her. If it wasn't for Saraph she might be dead or in excruciating agony by now.
He offered to teach her how to play more instruments and she agreed with his comment on music.
"Yes music is the only way to express emotion without words. It's a universal language and that's what makes it so compelling. I would love to learn to play from you. And why do you say that I have more academic intelligence? You seem very intelligent to me. Do you have schools up here?"
The background music to their conversation came from Saraph's fingers plucking on the strings of his viola.

"No, your... schools are for your world. Our children here, as rare as they are, learn from all of my people. It is customary for every child to be taught the ways of... everything, I suppose. We teach them academic intelligence, calligraphy, to be literate, skills you learn as well. However, our children have decades to learn what yours only have years to be taught. The process is slower, but we have many years to learn. Every Cloudi knows how to do what another does. Certain skills, like my ability to play the instruments, only are taught if a child shows particular talent at it. While I am versed in the ways of music, the few children that surrounded me during my childhood were proficient flyers. I am not. I was often called clumsy." A flap of his right wing accompanied his words, the one that was a few inches larger the other.

Saraph rested his chin on the edge of the viola, the bow twirling on his finger before he played. His long fingers stretched along the neck of the amati, reaching parts of the fingerboard that caused the song to twist the way he wanted it to. It seemed Saraph had a penchant for playing sad songs, but it didn't seem to dwell on his mind. His feathered wings brushed the air as they moved in time with the dips and pitches of the notes.

Lyra listened closely. It made sense that the process of learning would be slower here because of their long life spans. She frowned at the fact that he'd been ridiculed as a child for something he couldn't control. She had noticed the elongated wing even though the difference wasn't too large, but she hadn't commented on it because she didn't think it was that big a deal. As long as he could still fly well enough to function here, she didn't think it was a big deal.
Saraph began to play a somber tune on the violin before she could comment on his childhood.
Again, her chocolate eyes watched him, enchanted by his movements and gorgeous music. His wings fluttered to the rhythm of the song this time. She wondered if it was voluntary. The song was a bit more intricate than the one he had played on the clavier and she wondered if he played such gloomy melodies all the time. Did it have to do with his state of mind? She certainly hoped not. She watched his graceful form play until the song lulled to an end and she sighed, for it was too beautiful to finish. She could listen to him play forever, he was that captivating. "You are very talented Saraph.I love your music. And honestly, if I had been one of those little flying children in your childhood, I would have been jealous of your rare skills. Nearly everyone here can fly, but you have the potential to compose. The emotions in your songs are captivating and I could enjoy your music without getting bored for a lifetime.." Lyra smiled, the sincerity in her eyes prominent in every word she spoke. He didn't deserve to be insulted because one wing happens to be a bit longer than the other.

There was a soft smile on his face at the compliment. "Thank you. I appreciate your comments," he said. After maturing, he'd received much praise for his voice, but little else. It was nice to feel appreciated for the music. It wasn't common to be musically talented on the island due to the low amount of instruments they had, so Lyra's words were nice on his ears. He did not, of course, talk about how differing their life spans were, since the thought was there that she could listen for a long time.

"When you recover from your injuries, which instrument would you like to play?" he asked, propping the viola back in the corner with the bow settled beside it. It was only when he looked back that he noticed her attire underneath the robe. Pallick might have wanted them to be better dressed, and since Bina was taking care of the other humans at the infirmary, she would have gotten them new clothes already. "Do you wish to change into something else? Rexia may possess something of your size."

After thanking her for her honest opinion, Saraph asked Lyra what kind of instrument she'd want to play once her ribs healed and bruises faded. He turned to place the viola back on its stand and she watched his graceful movements closely to better see the difference in wingspan for either side. It wasn't much, but she could see why it would hinder him in the air a little. The he noticed her clothes and asked about changing. She was glad he had asked because she wasn't sure about the proper attire for a Cloudi feast.
"Oh um, yes please. I'm not sure what Cloudis wear to feasts...Also, I thought that since I already know the basics to playing piano--er the clavier, it would be best to advance those skills. Who is Rexia?"

"Rexia is a friend. She is one of the five children we had when I was younger. She was also the only one to stay near me when I could not fly and keep up with the others. She will help if I ask her. Do you wish to remain here, or would you rather change your attire in her presence?"

Saraph came beside her, moving the lyre from the table to sit on the claviers small seat. His house was kept pristine with the few objects he had in it. Decoration wasn't one of his string suits.

Lyra considered his question, glad that Rexia seemed to be closer to Saraph and considerably more considerate than Bina. Her eyes scanned the immaculate music room and after visiting three rooms in his lonely household, Lyra noticed just how sparsely furnished and decorated this place was. Why so bare?
"Um I don't really care. Either way gets the job done. Whichever way is more convenient for the two of you works for me." She gave him a light smile to go with her comment. She didn't want to bother anyone to go out of their way to dress her up for a feast that she was attending for sort of the wrong reasons.

"I will bring Rexia here. She will know what you need. She has an eye for what appears to be good on other people. I hope you do not mind being left alone for some time. I will do my best to return shortly." Saraph left then, letting Lyra settle back into the plush chair while he exited his home.

Roughly twenty minutes later, light chatter was heard outside. "Oh, Saraph, thank you for letting me do this! Bina had already dazzled up the other humans, so this is the only one I get to do!"

"You and Lyra share similar body types. I believe it will be simple for you to find something she will like."

"Oh, so formal. Now, where is she?" Bare footsteps padded back into the music room, and upon seeing Lyra, Rexia clapped her hands together. She had several outfits draped over one arm, while Saraph had apparently been roped into holding more. "I'm Rexia! You're Lyra, right? Shoo, Saraph. Go on. She needs to dress in peace, not with a man glaring over her shoulder."

"...I do not glare. I observe." Still, Saraph left all the same, putting the clothes down over the chair. Rexia bounced on her heels. She was short and petite with long blond hair. Golden earrings adorned her pointed ears, and her clothes were a soft goldenrod-yellow. Her wings were white with light brown flecks, similar to a barn owl. She seemed so happy and carefree compared to the formal and sometimes stoic Saraph.

"Do you need help to stand? And what colors do you like to wear? I have shades of everything!"

Lyra relaxed into the soft chair beneath her and stared out of the cracked windows while Saraph was gone to fetch Rexia. So she supposed there were no phones up here. Not a big surprise. The sunlight seemed so much...lighter and clearer up in the clouds than it was down on earth. She figured it was because of all the air pollution down there. It was nice to breathe fresh air all the time, especially since she had to breath shorter breaths more often because of her ribs. Lyra pulled Saraph's robe tighter around herself and daydreamed about what it would be like to live here...with wings..
Her fantasies faded away when she heard voices nearing the room. Lyra turned her head toward the door, her long hair flowing down the back of the chair as she listened to the conversation between Cloudis. Her mother's black ribbon was still ties around her wrist for the moment. She wouldn't want to lose the only possession she was able to bring. Especially not something this important.

"...thank you for letting me do this! Bina had already dazzled up the other humans, so this is the only one I get to do!" A light, cheery female voice was heard and Lyra listened closely as they headed to the music room.

"You and Lyra share similar body types. I believe it will be simple for you to find something she will like." Saraph responded, formal and kind as ever.

"Oh, so formal. Now, where is she?" Rexia mirrored Lyra's thoughts with her response and Lyra could hear that she was barefoot..why? Upon seeing Lyra, Rexia clapped her hands together. She had several outfits draped over one arm and Saraph stood beside her, holding more articles of clothing. Lyra gave a little smile at that. Rexia was very animated. "I'm Rexia! You're Lyra, right? Shoo, Saraph. Go on. She needs to dress in peace, not with a man glaring over her shoulder."

"...I do not glare. I observe." Lyra nearly giggled at his correction. It was true, but the way he said it made her want to laugh. But she restrained herself. If it hurt to breath too deeply, laughing could prove to be very painful. Saraph left politely closing the door behind him and Rexia swiftly brought with her all of the outfits he was holding to put them on the chair Lyra was resting on, ...all while energetically bouncing on her heels. She was short and petite with long blonde hair. Golden earrings adorned her pointed ears, and her clothes were a soft, goldenrod-yellow. Her wings were white with light brown flecks, similar to a barn owl. She seemed so happy and carefree. Rexia reminded her of her old, party-loving charismatic, outgoing roommate. Lyra knew that Rexia meant well, but she was a little overly excited. Too excited for Lyra, who was a little intimidated if she admitted to herself the truth. Rexia was very beautiful.
"Do you need help to stand? And what colors do you like to wear? I have shades of everything!"

"Yes. I am Lyra. Lyra Cunningham...nice to meet you, Rexia. I um..I normally wear dark colors, but I don't have much expertise in fashion so I can't really tell nor do I care much about what looks good on me. But I'd rather look decent for the feast. I'm glad you seem very excited to get to help me with that. I do have one question though. What to we do about the holes that let your wings loose in these outfits? Are there any sweaters I could use to cover them and keep me warm since I'm not yet used to the temperature up here?" Lyra gripped the table beside her chair with her right hand as she spoke and stood slowly with its support, answering Rexia's question about needing help to move. Lyra was very soft-spoken compared to the excited little bird that Rexia was. Both girls seemed very different, but Rexia seemed friendly, so maybe they would get along. At least, Lyra hoped they would.

"Hm, I think you need something brighter." Rexia rifled through the clothing until she came upon a yellow dress. "Nah." She tossed it off to the side on the ground before moving through more clothes. Various shirts and dresses were flung behind the Cloudi, and Saraph poked his head in to see what the commotion was.

"Go away, Saraph! You're not supposed to look!" A pair of dark pants flew at him, but he was able to round the corner before the clothing assaulted him. "Are boys this curious on your world?" Rexia asked, sifting through more clothing. She found a pale blue dress, and even though it had been intended for winged beings, there were only small holes in the back.

"Hm... this one might fit you. Do you want help? If not, I can leave. Saraph told me humans get all flushed if they're exposed in front of strangers."

Lyra widened her eyes at Rexia's way of treating her own clothing. She tossed it around like it meant nothing when they were her own possessions being flung in all directions. Lyra continued to lean heavily on the table as she shuffled though her clothes, nearly hitting a curious Saraph in the midst of her search. Rexia seemed to take this kind of thing very seriously. It would be comical if it weren't for the fact that Lyra was the one being dressed up.
She wasn't sure if her questions about boys was rhetorical or not so she decided to answer anyway, but before she could open her mouth, Rexia showed off a pale blue vintage looking dress. It was simple and soft and...kind of perfect.
"Do you want help? If not, I can leave. Saraph told me humans get all flushed if they're exposed in front of strangers." The excitable Cloudi offered and Lyra didn't forget about her earlier question.
"Um. On my world, it depends on the boy as to curiosity level. Saraph's drive to learn though, seems insatiable. Especially when it comes to where I live." Lyra smiled, remembering his earlier question and what led to the incredible Life-fire. "Down on earth...well, I'll spare you the details. In short, sometimes girls must change clothes in front of other girls and we don't find it uncomfortable. So as long as I don't have to remove my undergarments, I would appreciate your help, Rexia." Lyra gave her a half-smile. She had been remembering the locker rooms for gym back in high school. It was no big deal to change in front of females anymore. Lyra slipped off her robe with a shiver and hoped that Rexia wouldn't find her bruises disgusting when she removed her top. It was a bit of a challenge given her arms couldn't stretch up too high without hurting her ribs so she waited for the blonde Cloudi to help her.

((How's this? I thought vintage would work for this setting))

il_570xN.410317632_8qka.jpg

"He certainly is something else." It didn't seem to matter that he was within earshot, or maybe Rexia didn't even know if Saraph was listening. "I heard him playing earlier. Was that for you? He hasn't played anything in quite some time. I'm sure he told you all about how he wants to make a flute. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to make bongos as well," she giggled, taking the robe from Lyra. When the human girl took off her top, Rexia grimaced.

"Ouch... Looks painful. Saraph looks like he did a neat job wrapping it though. You'll be well soon. He's careful about everything he does." There were buttons on the back of the dress, so Lyra didn't have to raise her arms. Instead of making her remove her pants before dressing, Rexia simply helped her step into it. A little tugging here and there, and soon, Rexia was fastening the buttons. The lack of holes was made clear after it was buttoned: the back was low and wide enough to compensate for wings, should one require it.

"You wanted something warm, yeah? Uh... Hm...." More flinging of clothes occurred until Rexia happened upon a white, cotton shawl. "How about this?" She held it up before resting it around Lyra's neck.

((Do like! I think it works. :3))

Lyra smiled at Rexia's first comment. Saraph was different. She likes different. But why had be begun to play just for her? If he hadn't been playing for awhile, why did he start just for her?
Lyra looked up nervously as Rexia grimaced in sight of her dark bruises. But then she mentioned Saraph again and she felt better. Like she was having her first real girl talk in years. Saraph was always careful. He was such a mystery and everything about him made Lyra want to explore deeper into the woods where all of Saraph's answers lied.
Rexia helped her into the dress without having to remove her jeans and with a firm hand on her shoulder, Lyra was able to get into the vintage-like dress. It really was beautiful. But one question remained. Did it look beautiful on her?
Again, the friendly Cloudi presented her with just what she needed. A white, cotton shawl to keep her warm. It matched, it wrapped nicely around her neck, and it was comfortable. Lyra decided that she was starting to really enjoy Rexia's company.
"Thank you so much, Rexia. And um yes, I do believe he was playing for me...though I can't be sure that it was only because I asked. He's extremely talented." Lyra glanced down on the simple dress on her body. It didn't constrict her lungs, which was one of the best parts. Now all she needed was shoes. It would be a really convenient coincidence if Rexia happened to be the same size shoe as well. Lyra reached down under the dress and pulled off her jeans, trying her hardest not too lean down too much. When they dropped to the floor, she crouched, without having to bend her spine and grabbed her pants to place them on top of her tank top on the table. Now for her hair. Lyra untied the ebony ribbon on her wrist and reached back to tie her red locks into a low ponytail. She didn't have to raise her arms to high and her bangs hung free of the ribbon, nice and straight. She brushed them away from her eyes a bit and smoothed the dress a little. She wondered how beautiful it must look on Rexia when she wears it..