Saraph could have played the day away, but he had a guest to worry about. His fingers gradually slowed and the last note lingered in the still air of the room. There were words to the song, but he couldn't find it in his heart to sing, which was a rare thing to feel. Too much emotion swirled in his heart, clouding his mind. The longer the humans stayed, the more he wanted them to stay.

"I am sorry. I should be more truthful with you. It is not that I have lied, it is that I have not spoken the whole truth," he said, eyes still fixed on the keys. His hands fell away from the clavier, fingers wringing together as he found the words. "I did not speak falsely about Pallick. He will help you. Your stay is... not troubling, but it is. I apologize if that does not make sense. I wish for you to stay, but that cannot happen. You are just... fascinating. I find myself wanting to know everything I could never hope to have, but I cannot help it. I fear I will not be able to keep myself from asking you so many questions, and that draws us closer. You are a good friend, Lyra, and that is all we can ever be."

He paused, head lowering slightly as he closed his eyes. "This may not be something you wish to hear, but you deserve to know."

Reactions: Ravenbelle
When the last note rang in the stillness of the room, Lyra finally closed her eyes. She stayed quiet, let the end of the song wash away until there was nothing left.
And that's when Saraph spoke again. She stepped to the side of the bench to see his eyes more clearly. He apologizes too much. Why should he feel guilty? He gave her so much, and just now, the most beautiful piano song she'd ever heard. So why did he look so remorseful? She glanced at his fingers, masters of their trade and so much gentler than they appear. They were nervous now and it seeped into her. What was Saraph talking about? What's wrong? A small v formed between her eyebrows as they came together with worry. She already knew the issue here. That she couldn't stay...that this would end soon. So what was it that he thought he had been keeping from her? Couldn't things could stay like this forever? Then..she'd be forced to leave and Saraph wouldn't be penalized because Lyra would be gone, never to return. Just thinking about it squeezed her heart in pain, but she was used to it. Denial...then loneliness. She's...used to it. But it hurt to hear him say it out loud. She wanted to keep denying what they were doing, but he was too honest. So beautifully honest. her throat tightened as he closed his gorgeous eyes. It took her a moment to reply. it was hard to look at him when she did.

"Don't worry...I knew. I have known." She, whispered, took a shaky breath. Felt a lot less welcome. "Um..If you don't mind, I'm going to take a bath." She mumbled and turned, walking slowly toward the door, not letting him see her pained eyes. Why did he have to say it? They knew, but why did have to say it? Why did he have to make it real?

Last edited:
Saraph barely glanced at her, couldn't see the pain that he heard in her voice. It might have been wrong for him to say how he felt, but she deserved as much. She was a good friend, and that much was true. She was someone he could confide in, but perhaps he had confided too much. As she spoke, he gave a barely there nod. "Of course," he answered, listening to her footsteps recede into the other room. When she was gone, Saraph pulled the lid over the keys, unable to find it in himself to continue playing. Pushing himself from the chair, he padded to his room, curling up on top of the blankets.

Despite the fact that it was hardly after noon, Saraph began to doze, though his thoughts ran rampant. He didn't want Lyra to go, but she had to. There was no way Pallick would allow a human to stay on the Island. The Cloudis were just too isolated to allow an outsider remain. It wasn't fair, but it had to be that way.

Releasing a sigh, Saraph rested on his stomach, dark eyes closing and his wings stretching out. He would cherish the remaining time he had with Lyra if she allowed him that much.

At the soft agreement behind her, Lyra padded off to the bathroom, head down, throat tight. Closing the curtain behind her, Lyra stepped into the white room and stripped without looking into the strange mirror, untying and placing her ribbon on her clothes. It looked like a standard earth bathroom except everything was slightly altered. This one was small with a toilet that looked more like a wide-drained bidet, but she wasn't sure what material it was made of. There was no sink, but there was a tall mirror that wasn't hard. It seemed to be a vertically framed shallow pool of water. Touching it would cause ripples, and her finger would push through to the wall. At the end of the room was the bath. Kind of a mixture between a birdbath and a bucket, both much larger than on earth and under a water pump. It didn't take long to fill halfway --which was all she needed-- since Saraph had shown her how it worked. So she stepped into the warm water carefully and sat in the center where the water level reached the middle of her chest. Taking a deep breath, the young girl ducked under the water and closed her eyes, trying to clear her mind in the silence. However, her heart would not quiet. She heard it like thunder in her ears and she could have sworn it felt bruised with every beat. She was glad she couldn't cry underwater. She didn't want to cry anymore. She'd done plenty of the sort already these past few days, wasting tears.

When she rose, Lyra tried to shake off the pain. She should have expected something like this after all. It was her fault. She's really got to face reality more often. If she's alone, if she stops confiding in others, there's no risk of getting emotionally attached. No risk of pain when they inevitably make it obvious that they cannot stay with her. Not friends or anything more. Ever. Lyra winced, then began washing her skin. The Cloudis use this sort of body wash that basically works on everything from skin to hair to feathers and claws surprisingly well. There was a little bowl of it beside the bath, colored with the same scheme as Life-fire and the consistency of grape jelly. Usually she would hum or sing while bathing herself, but today was not the day for that. She sighed instead and finished her bath swiftly after that. When she stepped out, she reached up to the shelf opposite the mirror and grabbed a cloth similar to a towel, but without the frilly things on earth towels. She hadn't brought a change of clothes, too focused on being alone and away from Saraph's gaze.
She felt numb, didn't really mind about going in just a towel to her-- the guest room. Right. It's not hers. Never was. It's not like they had a chance of getting any closer anyway. He wouldn't care. So Lyra drained the water, tied her ribbon around her wrist, picked up her clothes and walked out, hair dripping to the guest room. No sign of Saraph anywhere. So she changed into some of Rexia's clothes, a pair of red pants snug at the waist and loose around her legs, longer at the back towards her ankles while the front of the legs stopped right below the knee..and a yellow blouse with a semicircle neckline and a low back to make room for wings she didn't have. She was glad that her ribs had healed so well, for she would be really embarrassed to ask for help putting her clothes on now. Though she wasn't tired, the bed looked inviting. Until she remembered how it had felt to sleep in it against Saraph's bare chest with his musical heartbeat and velvety wings around her. Lyra winced knowing she would never have that again. But when her eyes opened again, they noticed something out of place near the pillow. When she reached out and touched it, it was black, thin and hard. The rest of it stuck under the pillow. Lyra pulled it out slowly and bit her lip when it's entirety was revealed. A single, ebony feather.
She closed her eyes, let it glide on her cheek. Missed him already. Her hair soaked her back and the end of her blouse. She hardly noticed. She was already tying the feather's stem into the knot of the black ribbon on her left wrist. The soft tip of it almost reached the inside of her elbow.
Lyra pursed her lips. She didn't want to stay in the house right now. She didn't want to run into Saraph. He was so quiet that she had no way of knowing where he was, if he was even still inside. Still, if she was going to leave this island in the sky, she might as well enjoy it while she can. So without letting herself think about it too much,she darted out toward the kitchen, picked a sterberi from the bowl and headed for the door.she passed the door to his room on the way out though. And her feet froze in place. Through the opening of the half-open door, Lyra stared, heart fluttering as the sun lit up his form through the window. A small breath escaped her...he was just so beautiful. So peaceful in his gentle slumber with his perfect wings spread out limp like that and his messy hair spread under his cheek. There was even a small strand at the corner of his lips..the same ones that whispered to her at the top of her head when he held her..the same ones that told her he wouldn't want her to disappear.
Lyra ripped her gaze away and walked quickly out of the house, misty eyed and ripping at the skin of the fruit in her hand. She looked up every so often, heading away from any of the other houses and trying to remember what direction the woods were. Lyra waded towards the long grass thinking maybe this was the trail she had taken towards the city when the plane crashed. She didn't want to go to the crash site though. She just wanted to be alone. Taking a small bite from the sterberi, Lyra found a suitable clearing where she could see the sky. She hadn't reached the treeline or the forest, but she was far enough away that it was quiet and she could just...breathe.

Reactions: Saren
As Lyra took up a spot underneath one of the multicolored trees, a form whistled past her, blocking out the sun momentarily. It wasn't a black shape, so it wasn't Saraph, but it was some kind of Cloudi. The form circled back around, spotting the young human sitting amongst the waving blades of grass. They landed, though they soon revealed themselves to be someone familiar.

"Oh, hello, Lyra!" Rexia called with a wave and a smile. She jogged over, white wings fluttering in the wind. She glanced around, though it seemed that Lyra's faithful Cloudi was nowhere to be seen. However, when her eyes drifted back to Lyra, she finally seemed to notice the lack of a smile or any sort of happiness.

"Is everything okay? Where's Saraph?"

She had only been sitting for about 20 minutes, stroking the feather tied to her wrist and taking small bites of fruit when Lyra blinked up at the sudden interruption of sunlight, hoping it wasn't Saraph that had found her already. She had't been able to look close enough to spy if she knew the Cloudi or not. To her surprise, the figure landed and she recognized the bright smile of her friend, Rexia. She waved back at her, but her level of enthusiasm was clearly muted. She took her final bite of sterberi, finishing it off as Rexia asked about her situation.

Lyra sighed. "He's home. Taking a nap. I came out for some fresh air." she quickly changed the subject from herself. "What about you? What are you doing out here?"

Last edited:
Rexia tilted her head at Lyra's quick change of subject, but she didn't question it. If Lyra needed some space from Saraph, she could understand that. His formal speech and his habit of being unable to emotionally connect with people were often frowned upon. Lyra had spent the most time with him recently, more company than he was used to in decades. Rexia could see why she might want time to herself.

The Cloudi sat down in front of Lyra, crossing her legs and letting her wings relax behind her. "I was just out for a fly. I thought about going to spy on those humans working on your air craft, but they seem busy. Besides, I think Erith would get mad if I stayed too long. Not that he's not mad all the time, since he definitely is," she said with a slight giggle.

"Are you excited to go home? You've been away from the earth for more than a week. I can't imagine being gone that long from the Island, but maybe it's because I've been here for a really long time. You know I'm older than Saraph by a few years? You wouldn't guess it by our heights."

Lyra couldn't meet Rexia's eyes the whole time. She kept having to look away, reminding herself that they would soon part. Forever. So when she sat in front of Lyra, she wrapped her arms around her own middle--hiding the feather on the inside of her left arm-- and kept glancing at the ground between them.

She spoke so nonchalantly, as if everything was going to be okay. That all of this was just some fun, interesting thing that happened to occur along her extended lifetime. While in reality, this sort of thing had never occurred in either human or Cloudi history since the Island of Clouds came to be. And now, because Cloudis are more cautious than curious when it comes to humans, this single occurrence is going to pass them both by. And in Lyra's case, painfully.

Before she left Saraph's house alone, she would have laughed at Rexia's accurate description of Erith for sure, but now she just gave a slight smile and nod.
She felt so stupid! She had known this all along, that she would have to leave eventually. Maybe she had been holding on to some false hope that Saraph and maybe even Rexia would stick up for her or the three of them would be able to convince Pallick that she was a valuable source of knowledge rather than just another mouth to feed. That everything would be better if she stayed. But now that Saraph had said it aloud, she saw that he would do no such thing. Everyone seems to think she'd be better off on earth because no one knows or understands her circumstances, so of course she's going to be forced to go back.
"Are you excited to go home?
Something cracked inside Lyra when she heard that question. Her fingers dug into her sides and try as she might, keeping herself composed was proving a harder task by the second.
"I can't imagine being gone that long from the Island, but maybe it's because I've been here for a really long time. You know I'm older than Saraph by a few years? You wouldn't guess it by our heights."
Lyra gulped, tried to blink away the moisture in her eyes. "Yeah, no kidding." She smiled, but her voice cracked and gave her away. She covered her eyes with the heels of her hands. She was such an idiot. She didn't want to cry again!

Lyra barely seemed to have any voice to answer with, and Rexia only noticed it until after she spoke. Her smile was immediately chased away from her face, and she leaned forward toward the poor girl. At first, she didn't know what to say. What was comforting to a human? Saraph would know, but he was sleeping! Not a very good way to take care of a human, in Rexia's opinion.

"Lyra, what's wrong?" she asked, biting her lip. "Did I say something? Did... Did Saraph say something?" That would explain a thing or two, seeing as Lyra had hardly separated from the man since she'd arrived. Trust the emotionally distant Cloudi to say something out of honesty. "I didn't mean to upset you." Rexia shifted, coming to sit by Lyra's side, though she had yet to touch the human girl. She didn't want her to run away, since it was easy to get lost in the rainbow colored trees.

Lyra shook her head as Rexia, concerned and shifting to her side, kept asking what had happened. She didn't trust herself to speak again without outright sobbing. She took a few deep breaths and avoided the Cloudi's eyes. "I'm sorry" she whispered, sniffled and took a moment to let her eyes stop watering. "Y-you didn't do anything wrong." She stuttered, closed her eyes and sighed. "It's just...the Island of Clouds feels like home to me now. Not earth. I-I know I have to go. Everyone says that." She winced, Even Saraph. "But I..I can't leave. I..don't want to leave this place, especially you and Saraph." Lyra's voice cracked again on his name and her head ended up laying on Rexia's shoulder by her wing. The two hadn't had much time to bond, but Lyra knew she wanted to. And it was just so heartbreaking to know that someone she truly wanted to make friends with would be lost to her too. She was so tired of loneliness. If the plane crash didn't kill her on the way down, loneliness would.

Reactions: Saren
"Oh, Lyra," Rexia breathed, her wing folding around the girl's shaking shoulders. It was hard to watch her feel such things; Rexia had never known the feeling of wanting something so strongly. She loved her family and her friends, but that emotion had never been tested.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know. I just assumed all of the humans wanted to leave, even you. Everyone else has said as much in passing, and that's why they're all working so hard to fix your air craft." She paused, her arm following her wing around Lyra. "Saraph said what Pallick said, didn't he?" She sighed, shaking her head at the man's actions. Really, there was no harm in keeping things to one's self, but Saraph had always had a habit of being too honest for most people.

"I know he think Pallick's word is law, even if he wants to change it. He seems to think Pallick can't be swayed, but he can be reasoned with. Here, why don't we go right now and talk to him? Maybe if you explain yourself to him personally, he might be a little more understanding."

Lyra closed her eyes when she felt Rexia'a feathers on her shoulder and arm. She took deep breaths, but couldn't keep herself from trembling sightly. Sighing when the Cloudi explained why she had asked in the first place. She couldn't blame her for assuming she wanted to go back to earth too. Lyra didn't blame her. In fact, when she felt Rexia's arm over her shoulder, it felt a little better to get all this off her chest.
And though she hesitating in her answer about Saraph since she didn't want Rexia mad at him, she nodded. He had said what Pallick did, but not to make her upset. Lyra felt like she'd gotten the darker-winged Cloudi in trouble by Rexia's reaction. Hopefully she'd be able to fix that by the time the Cloudis saw met again.

It took a few seconds for Rexia's suggestion to sink in. Talking to Pallick? Could that even work? Lyra bit her lip. she would do whatever it takes to stay. But could it really be so easy as explaining everything to the temporary ruler of Cloudis? And who's to say the next one won't just kick her out/kill her? Isn't Erith the next in line?
"Um I don't know..I already saw him once today. I don't want to bug him..besides, could an explanation really get him to change his mind? I mean either way if Erith is anywhere nearby, he'll have a lot to say otherwise." she mumbled, stroking Saraph's feather with her right index finger

Rexia shrugged, her pale wings shifting with her shoulders. "I don't think it would hurt to talk to him. The least he can do is say no. He's not an unkind Cloudi... He just has his reasons, that's all." She paused to chuckle at Lyra's words about Erith. "Don't worry about that old sack of feathers. He's all talk. He wouldn't dare hurt another Cloudi, and while you're Pallick's guests, he won't harm you. He just wants you gone. He doesn't like anything that's new. That's why he doesn't like Saraph. The two have very different ideas about humans, traditions... Pretty much everything."

Rexia rubbed Lyra's shoulder a few times before her wing folded back and she pulled away. "C'mon. Let's go for a walk. Sitting down when you're sad isn't a good idea. Movement will help, I promise," she said with a gentle smile. Lyra seemed like a nice girl, and the things she had to deal with down on earth weren't fair. Rexia was doing her best though, and that was all she could do.

• Thank You
Lyra tried not to let her hopes up. She glanced at Rexia's eyes beside her every so often and she appreciated the effort the Cloudi's was putting into cheering her up but she really doubt it could work. Everything just seemed so set in stone. Rigid and unchanging like Erith. If she were to compare them to Earthlings, she would say Erith is more of a Republican and Saraph was more democrat for sure.

Rexia suggested they walk. Lyra suspected the angelic blonde would eventually end up leading her to Pallick's house, but when Lyra looked up at her, she saw genuine care and she couldn't turn her down. So she took a deep breath, stood and forced a smile at Rexia. "Okay...Thanks, Rexia."

Rexia smiled as Lyra stood up. Maybe movement wouldn't cheer the girl up, but there was no point in just sitting there to let the sadness take over. Rexia had seen what sorrow could do, and she didn't want the same thing to happen to Lyra. Once the human was ready to go, Rexia linked their arms together and moved deeper into the forest. She didn't waste any time in talking, telling Lyra all about the different colors of the trees and why they weren't like normal, human trees. Saraph had been the one with all the knowledge, but it seemed like he'd spent a lot of time also telling Rexia, since she was the only one who would listen.

The two females came across the stream Lyra and Saraph had been to just a few days ago, but Rexia didn't stop there. "Did Saraph show you where the stream originates?" she asked, though she didn't wait for an answer as they followed the length of the stream until the trees opened into a expanse of crystal clear water. The bottom of the lake could be seen just as easily as if there was no water, and multicolored fish swam along the rocks. In the center of the lake was a beautiful tree with snow white bark. The leaves were iridescent blues and greens, and the flowers were mixes of pink, red, and yellow.

"Saraph ought to be smacked if he's never brought you here before," Rexia commented, bare foot dipping into the cool lake water.

It was actually pretty hard to stay in a bad mood around Rexia. She was so...bubbly. She linked her arm with Lyra's and she couldn't help but grin slightly at the childish and intelligent nature of the Cloudi. Maybe blondes really do have more fun. Even the way Rexia described the trees to her came with a cheerful tone and comments within her explanation of their biology. Lyra got easily distracted then, staring up at the sunlight through the multicolored leaves as Rexia spoke beside her. Once or twice before they reached the stream, Lyra suffered pangs of sorrow knowing this might be her last trek through this part of the woods, but they didn't last very long.

She was led to the stream she'd seen with Saraph before and it was as amazing as ever and still Rexia hinted at something even more wondrous. After seeing the well of Life-fire, she would have trouble believing any place could come even close to the heart of the Island. She shook her head at the question and still followed, occasionally stroking the stolen, black feather tied to her inner arm. At one such point, she looked up again only to find that the magnificent trees had parted to display another so unique inside a body of water so pristine, so precious, her eyes got misty again. She stepped forward slowly, afraid this was all a dream and she'd go tumbling back to earth waking from some sort of coma. Her hands trembled. The scene was so beautiful... not wild and honest and extraordinary like the Well, but...peaceful. The crystalline liquid created such a perfect sense of comfort as if when it rippled as Rexia dipped her feet in, it said everything is going to be all right.
Lyra slowly sank to her knees, her eyes unable to glance away from just ahead of her even when she gave a breathy laugh at Rexia's comment. She couldn't form any coherent words yet though, she was too awestruck, taking in the glimmering leaves among pure white branches, thickening into one strong, unified trunk before sinking beneath the water almost imperceptibly. Even from here, Lyra's brown human eyes could see the roots stretching and twisting and curving along the bottom of the lake with sea life in all colors under the sun and then some. She shook her head. Could something this miraculous really exist?
"Rexia..." she whispered, but couldn't continue with words. She just hugged her. It was kind of awkward and sudden, but Lyra was so grateful she didn't know any way to say it that didn't seem too entirely like an understatement.

Rexia had managed to take two small steps into the shallow end of the lake before Lyra's arms came around her. She hadn't seen Lyra sink to her knees, but nonetheless, she saw that the human girl appreciated their little trip. She smiled, returning the embrace with both her hands and her wings. "I'm glad you like it," she answered, releasing Lyra and turning her to face the lake. "Saraph knows more about this place than I do, but he's told me that this is where the Life-fire comes up from. We're standing over it right now. That's why the tree looks different from all the others. It's kind of like a vessel that disperses the Life-fire over the rest of the island. This tree was the first thing to grow when the island first came up, or so the story goes. It's lived here for as long as any of us can remember."

Rexia paused, looking all around the place. She and Saraph used to get away from lessons by coming here, and while she knew the other Cloudis knew where they went, no one had stopped them. Saraph had practiced singing there while she had listened. She had even partaken in some of his lyrics herself, but she was nowhere near his skill level. But this time, Saraph wasn't there.

"Want to see something?" she asked Lyra before she took a few more steps toward the tree. The drop off wasn't all that steep, and Rexia allowed the water to slosh around her knees before she stopped. Cool liquid slithered along the tips of her wings, but she relished the cold. Looking toward the tree, she opened her mouth, but a song spilled forth rather than words. It was quiet at first, as if she was unsure of her volume, but it quickly picked up. As the song built, the branches shook, swaying with the cadence. The flowers flitted off the ends, floating down and landing in the water. More grew in their place and the cycle continued until most of the surface was covered in brightly colored petals. Many of the fallen flowers were picked up on the light breeze, floating around Lyra before being taken up into the air, but they were gentle as they brushed along her face and hair.

• Love
Rexia didn't mind the sudden embrace, for which Lyra was grateful. Her wings came around her again and she noticed the difference between the texture of her wings and Saraph's. Where Saraph's were obviously longer--at least on one wing-- they were also softer on the inside. Rexia's were..fluffier though, with more feathers that stuck out near the top. Beautiful in a different way than the black angel wings she longed for. When their arms loosened around each other, Rexia explained the reason for such a magical place. It was no mystery now why the tree glowed white...like white hot fire. It had flames in its trunk, dispersing the Life giving fire that made this place so incredible. Her breath left her again just staring at it in absolute awe. She had so many questions, but didn't know how to ask. And of course, Saraph knew more about this place. He was so incredible. Was there any topic he wasn't interested in studying?

She managed to tear her eyes way though to look at Rexia politely. When the blonde paused, her eyes seemed to glaze over the area with a different light. Nostalgic maybe? They sparkled in the light of day like the surface of the clear water and Lyra didn't say a word. Just nodded when asked if she wanted to see something. She wondered if anything could be more beautiful. And apparently there was. The tips of Rexia's wings drifted into the water as she stepped forward, almost like a wedding train. Lyra stared unabashedly, hesitating to step forward with her until the song started. At first she wasn't sure it was even coming from Rexia herself. It was so pure and melodic. It made her want to sing, but she had no air left to do so, for as the song lilted on the breeze toward the tree, it bloomed, letting petals fall and fall like a cherry blossom tree in summer until the whole lake was covered and Lyra couldn't do anything but stare. As the multi-colored gleaming petals floated on the air and water alike, caressing her skin and covering the water, Lyra just couldn't hold back tears anymore. They ran down her cheeks, dripping off her chin into the clear lake. And the song slowed to a halt and Lyra smiled in pain and awe alike. She was so grateful to bear witness to beauty like this and to be reminded that she could never come back, that this would just be a memory she could never share or relive made the moment hurt so badly. But she didn't dare try to hide her eyes, didn't want to waste an instant of this.

As the song played out until the last note, the flowers continued to float along the air, dancing to Rexia's voice. It had not only attracted the Life-fire, but another form had drifted down to the small lake in the midst of her singing. Saraph watched as Rexia coaxed the tree into life, observing Lyra as tears flooded her cheeks. She was sad and happy all at once, and part of him knew the sorrow was his fault. Had he only thought to keep his mouth closed, Lyra might not have gone off on her own. Rexia had found her at least, so she'd had some company while she was away.

Rexia turned, noticing Lyra's tears. She didn't panic like last time; Lyra was just emotional, and that was okay. She smiled, reaching out to the other girl and giving her a hug. In that instant, she noticed the dark form resting against the tree. "Lyra, someone's here to see you," she said, voice gentle as she pulled away. "I think he wants to apologize for whatever he said. You should give him a chance."

Saraph didn't move, and his dark blue gaze was careful as he watched their interactions. Rexia didn't seem to bear any ill will toward him, but he didn't know how Lyra would react to his presence.

When the song ended, Lyra sniffed a bit and started to wipe her cheeks, rubbing her red-rimmed eyes until Rexia's arms were felt around her small frame again. She took deep, shaky breaths and hugged her back. She wished she had a friend like this on earth. Lyra grit her teeth. Thoughts like that aren't going to do her any good. They just hurt. And she wanted to appreciate this place without the pain that came with it.

"Lyra, someone's here to see you"
The brunette blinked and looked up, wiping her eyes once again before catching sight of Saraph beside the stunning tree. Her lips formed a small o and she wondered how long he'd been standing there. After all, his beauty matched well into the scene around her. He belongs here and it shows. She doesn't. She winced.

"I think he wants to apologize for whatever he said. You should give him a chance."
Lyra didn't pull her eyes away from the man whose feather she kept tied around her wrist. But her eyebrows furrowed at Rexia's words anyway and she spoke then with a quiet, slightly raspy voice. "Apologize?" She stared at him like a child would, wide-eyed, curious, wondering if she should swim to the tree and close the distance between them though she knew it wouldn't be wise. His words echoed in her mind again.
I find myself wanting to know everything I could never hope to have, but I cannot help it. I fear I will not be able to keep myself from asking you so many questions, and that draws us closer. You are a good friend, Lyra, and that is all we can ever be."
"It's okay," she whispered. "You didn't do anything wrong." Her eyes shifted down to the water up to her knees and her voice sounded hollow.