The Iron King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kulaas watched as he stepped forward, placing his hand on the egg. Like before, the egg twitched at his touch, but little more came from it. It was almost disheartening in a way to see her child so devoid of movement. At the age the egg was at, the dragon inside should have been trying to burst its way from the inside and emerge into life. Her last child simply wasn't the same, but she did not give up hope. Her child would be born at some point, whether she lived to see that time or not.

At his words, she peered down at him. There are few mentions of this group in tomes I have read, but I know of their ancestors. I did not think they survived, but it has been a long time since I joined the land of humans. If you can use this group, my child would be safe, but I put the last of my kind into your hands specifically. I trust few people with this, and I have seen into your heart and mind and I know I can rely on you. Guards will help, and for now, that thought will have to do.

His question echoed through the gold-laden room, and Kulaas nodded. I would recommend trying to regain your strength. The Staff of Vaul does not hold back, and it will not give you special treatment just because you share my strength. You will be on your own, and only your mind will keep you alive, or your body will turn traitor and you will fall. With those foreboding words, the dragon guided Kaine back through the cave, casting one last, longing glance at her child. In response, the egg did not stir, but Kulaas was used to such a thing. Still, the lack of motion weighed her heart down, and her head hung slightly as they walked back to the main part of the cave. Once there, she lay back down, resting her large head on her paws.

Rest, she said, I will know if anything disturbs us. Most razorkin dare not try to climb up the mountain, but some are bravely stupid. They will not make it far should they endure any sort of journey up here, so you may rest easy.

The sleeping conditions here were rude to say the least, but he'd slept rough before, there were worse places to sleep then a stone cavern floor. Nonetheless, it still left a lot to be desired but...no matter, it was dry, warm, clean, and safe. That was more then a lot of people could say about their living conditions.

So despite his mild discomfort he found sleep to not be enormously difficult, pulling a blanket from his pack to fold up and use as a pillow, he'd get better accommodations later once he got things running...there was so much to do, so very much, the big hurdle right now was being able to convince the dwarves...

Kaine smiled in amusement, he was being an idiot and getting ahead of himself, convincing the dwarves was nothing compared to what was coming next, he had to survive trying to seize control over an artifact that they said a god had used once, if that was true, it was altogether possible he was going to die. Was he afraid? Absolutely, he was terrified of the trial ahead, after already getting a taste of how miserable just partaking of the bloodpact was, and now she'd told him that was nothing compared to trying to wield the Staff of Vaul.

But, Kaine had nothing left anymore, his family was gone, he had no loved ones, and his home was destroyed as well, and the flames of his ambition burned hotter and brighter then his fear of death, he had nothing to lose anymore, and everything to gain, he'd squeeze every last drop of blood out of his body to obtain his desires.

Those were his last thoughts as he finally drifted off to sleep.

A few more days he spent resting, and found actually that his body was stronger then it was before as he recuperated, at one point Kulaas had even mentioned that the fact he'd sworn blood oath with her was beginning to show physically for him now, his eyes had become draconic in nature, she also mentioned that some other changes might be noticeable the longer he was alive with dragon blood in his veins. He recalled distantly legends of warriors who had become partially dragon kind due to the blood oath, they'd been fearsome fighters with incredible reserves of vitality, healing, and even the ability to breathe fire like dragons do.

Which was interesting, and it'd make him more credible to the non-humans if he survived what was going to come next. "Well," He said to her "I survived my trial by fire...do you think I'm ready for my trial by inferno?" It wasn't hard to guess what he was referring to, though it was altogether possible Kulaas might simply tell him to give her blood more time to change him, make him less of a mortal and more of a dragon before attempting it.

The great dragon had grown used to the human's presence, though it seemed that with each passing day, he became less human. His eyes had warped into something beyond those of human orbs, having grown darker and developing narrowed pupils. His skin was tougher and healed more quickly than human flesh did, and he would recover his energy and stamina normally even if he ran for several miles. Time would tell if he developed wings or the ability to breathe fire, but Kulaas had seen many humans become more than they ever thought possible through the Pact.

At his question, she lifted her head from the warming ground and gave him a mismatched glance. A quick once over was enough for her to tell, and she nodded. Yes, it is time, she said as she rose. She looked to the mouth of her cave as it grew brighter outside. We shall make our way to the top. She padded to the front of her home, basking in the brightening sunlight. The skies were clear and the breeze smelled of warmth and the leaves of the forest. It was a perfect day for someone to take the Staff.

Come, she said, allowing Kaine to step onto her paw. Once he was there, she leaped up, flapping her wings and flying up to the top of the volcanic mountain. Instead of a giant hole at the top like most volcanoes, the top of this natural structure was lined with heavy dirt and rocks, like a cap on the lava. Kulaas landed, the ground hardly shifting beneath her claws. Everything about the top was unassuming, and it almost seemed like nothing was there. However, off to the side was a long, dark, rod-shaped thing. It wasn't standing in any grand position, and from a distance, it looked more like a stick than anything.

Kulass allowed Kaine to step down from her paw before she moved toward the object. This is the Staff, she announced, though there was nothing noble about her words. The Staff was, for all intents and purposes, something more like a walking stick. It was made of iron, though it was more blackened than steel-colored. The head of the staff was only a piece of knotted iron, but that wasn't the most interesting, or strange, part about the thing. The staff's body was covered in all sorts of intricate runes and glyphs, ancient words that made sense to no one. They didn't glow or pop out in a bout of magic; in fact, the Staff didn't do anything that made it worth of a god's item.

It does not appear to be much, but do not be fooled. You know its true power, and when you grab it, you will truly understand why it is the Staff of Vaul. In order to pass this test, you must raise the Staff above your head and hold it there. An easy task it may sound, but it is not. When you no longer feel its weight in your palm, you will know that the Staff has allowed you to wield it. Kulaas walked away, settling herself on the other side of the volcano. Should you fall, I will not catch you, but I will deposit your body in a human settlement somewhere. With that, she rested her head on her paws, blue eye watching Kaine's every move.

There wasn't even a moment of hesitation at her words, which might have surprised her, but it shouldn't have, here was the moment his life had led up to, it was all or nothing, now or never, glory or death...Striding up to the Staff he immediately gripped it in his hands, he did not pull, only when he had mastered it's powers would he try to raise it from the earth.

For a moment, nothing happened, but he knew as soon as he'd touched it this was a magical artifact of great power, he sensed almost immediately a presence inside of it reacting to him touching it, a brief probe and...the Staff was astonished that someone who knew full well what it was, dared to touch it.

The runes on the Staff began to glow brightly, till they were too bright to look at and he looked away, then it's power flooded him, there was no other word to describe it. Searing agony unlike anything he'd ever felt began to lance through him, it felt like acid was etching it's way through the inside of his bones, combined with some sort of blade scraping away at his marrow, all across his body, fiery lines began to etch themselves across his skin, as if he was a sculpture of ice or marble that was cracking, bright light shining through these cracks.

Somehow, Kaine had a feeling that if he failed, there wouldn't be a body left for Kulaas to retrieve! He did not scream or cry out in pain though, merely clenched his teeth tightly, wishing he'd grabbed something to bite on before doing this, but he hadn't had any idea of the sheer power the Staff held that ruthlessly tried to burn him to ash and cinder, he knew that the fact he was part dragon know was the only reason he was surviving thus far, had he not partaken of the Bloodpact, he would be dead already.

Now his form was obscured by brilliant, harsh light, and not even Kulaas could see anything of him, all of his own thoughts were eroded, as pain unended flowed through him, a distant part of his brain warned him that he was being consumed, if he let go now, he might be able to recover and try again, but if he held on, the Staff would surely consume him.

Kaine refused to let go, or give up, even with the indescribable pain of what it was doing to him, he strove to bend it's will to his, to force it to obey him, he was going to 'beat' the Staff into submission, or die trying. He summoned up every last inch of his willpower and forcefully concentrated at the Staff, demanding it's obedience, I will be King! I will rule over an empire where dragons can roam free! Where all races can prosper and be safe and happy! I will ensure that the children of dragonkind can be raised without fear of assassins! I WILL DIE IN GLORY OR NOT AT ALL!

Suddenly without warning, the fires died, and he felt the Staff submit to his will, and...a sense of respect? Kaine slumped downwards, still holding onto the Staff, the stench of seared flesh greeting his nostrils, he cringed as he realized something and softly said "Kulaas...I think my hands are fused to the Staff, can you help me?"

Kulaas was primarily unimpressed by his effort. Many had tried to tame the Staff before Kaine, and all had failed. The Staff and its magic recognized her as a dragon, a beast of power, and so their power did not clash. The Staff did not try to dominate her mind, and she left it be at the volcano's cap. It was a simple relationship between dragon and magic, but it had been many decades since someone had tried to conquer that power.

So when Kaine didn't immediately burn up, her bright blue eye cracked open. She could smell his fear - any sane person had every right to be afraid of the Staff of Vaul - but he kept his grip. He didn't shriek with the fiery pain blasting through his limbs, which did impress her. Most ordinary humans would have already died. Only a few seconds later did he reach the point where most Pacted creatures died. But Kaine remained steadfast in his attempt to dominate the Staff.

Her other eye opened and she watched, interested in the unfolding events. Kaine was strong, far stronger than some of the humans before him, and his goal was pure: unite the races and create a peaceful land. Whether or not he could obtain that was up to fate, but the Staff of Vaul recognized power when it saw it. It seemed to have a mind of its own, given that it could kill even if someone kicked it on accident.

Kaine's voice echoed in her head; perhaps he wasn't aware he was projecting his thoughts. His words were noble and full of promise, and even if agony seared his muscles, he had a chance to prevail. His domination of the magic continued to pique her interest, but she lay on the ground until the inferno contained in the Staff fell away. Kaine followed that descent of power, fingers still gripping the staff. As he spoke, she snorted, the draconic equivalent of laughter.

You control the Staff now, she said, so command it to release you. Even with her words, she stood up, large paws padding along the volcano's cap to sit beside him. Bending her long neck, Kulaas gripped the Staff between her razor-like teeth. Giving a sharp tug, Kaine's fingers broke free from their grip with low, but audible cracks, as if he was pulling his hands from stone. Spitting out the Staff with an ignoble gesture, Kulaas picked up Kaine by the collar of his tunic and set him on his feet. Stand. Let the magic of the Staff understand that you are still strong, even after such a trial. You might have won its respects, but now, you must keep them. A leader must always lead, no matter the cost, or you will lose that which follows you, even this magic.

"Kulaas..." He managed to breath "If the Staff is incapable of recognizing, that I am quite literally on the verge of death right now, and I suspect the only reason I'm still conscious at all is because of your blood, then it is not worthy of my respect, nor to be wielded by me."

Kaine wasn't kidding, his vision was shaky, blurry, and dark around the edges, and he felt...cold all over, at least the parts of his body that weren't still experiencing searing agony, he felt like his blood was boiling, grimacing he focused on the Staff, and mentally imagined what he wanted it to do.

He groaned out loud in pain as the iron it was composed of that had fused to his hands was pulled out in a liquid stream by the Staff, the metal refusing with the scepter, fresh blood welled up and began to drip from the palms of his hands as the wounds were opened back up, steaming as they fell to the ground, his lungs worked like bellows and he felt his heart hammering intensely, he wavered back and forth struggling to remain conscious.

"In fact..." He said matter of factly "I think I'm very close to going into a coma right now, not a permanent one, but all the same...I don't think I can stay conscious for much longer, in fact I think the Staff is helping keep me alive right now as well, but all the same..."

It was when he finished these words, that he realized it was a self-fulfilling prophecy as blackness rushed into his vision, his muscles turning to water and he crumpled face first into the ground, barely breathing, the Staff glowed as it sent magic into him, keeping his heart beating, lungs breathing, and blood flowing.

Furthermore it began to work to aid his bodies regeneration, to heal the damage it had done, the mortal had indeed earned it's respect, and it would not allow him to perish now, not when it had it's first wielder in over five centuries, it had waited a very long time, and it was eager to begin creating things once again.

It could wait for now, it had been patient this long, it could be patient long enough to let this mortal recover.

Though Kaine had only managed a few words before succumbing to the magic, a few words were all he'd needed. When he fell, he did not land on the unforgiving, volcanic ground. He landed on something much softer: Kulaas's large paw. She held him for one long moment, marveling at how small he was compared to her scaly bulk. The Staff had accepted him, as young as he was, and he'd not died from the intensity of not one, but two rituals. He had strength, even if it seemed like it'd vanished from his muscles. And yet, he was hardly bigger than her hatchling children on their first day of birth.

The thought of her last child, still tucked away deep in the innards of the volcano, was enough for the dragon to pick herself up from the ground. Cradling Kaine in her claws, Kulaas spread her wings and looked out over the land from the volcano's peak. If Kaine really did have the power to unite the other races and rule fairly, then the world would be more active, as it had been many centuries ago.

Reaching, Kulaas picked up the fallen Staff. The scepter's magic and the dragon had a mutual respect for one another: she protected it while it waited for a new wielder to come. Now that the Staff had a fresh host, she was no longer required to protect it. She could freely pick it up and move it; she had enough power to do whatever she wished without the Staff's help.

Fluttering down to the plateau, Kulaas leaned the Staff on the inside of the cave before she settled herself on the edge. She set Kaine's limp head on her paw, doing her best to make the man comfortable. He deserved it for conquering such a power. When she was satisfied that he wouldn't wake up with sore muscles, Kulaas went back to observing all she could see. She stayed like that for the rest of the day and into the night, and she would stay that way until Kaine rose once again.

Several days later, the morning found the great dragon sleeping, head resting on her free paw. She was curled around the young man, azure wing folded over him to protect him from the elements. Her breathing was slow and heavy, but at the first sign of danger, she would be alert.

Eventually, at last he woke up after several days, a changed man.

The effects of the Staff, and her blood were now glaringly obvious, his eyes had become golden orbs with slitted pupils, his hair had taken on a more flame like tinge, faint hints of scales around his eyes or other parts of his body were showing up as well, he felt powerful, and suddenly had no doubt that his muscle density had likely tripled at least.

Strength and vigor flowed through him like a large and powerful river, his heart beat slowly, but very powerfully, creating a deep thudding noise in his chest, his lungs filled with a rush of air and suddenly colors seemed more vibrant then ever, and a sudden realization flowed through him. "Kulaas...you're beautiful beyond words, how could I not see it before?" Wonder was in his expression as he placed a hand on her body, feeling the adamantium hard scales beneath his hand.

Kaine was totally unaware of the fact that her blood had started to very subtly alter how his mind worked as well, and it was unlikely he'd ever be aware of it either, and even were it pointed out to him, he wouldn't care, something about his mind felt suddenly awake and aware when before it had almost been asleep, and he saw her in a new light.

Suddenly he felt a deep and quiet sorrow that he could not become like unto her, and his heart ached with that desire, it was unfortunate that it was impossible, no amount of dragon blood would ever change that. Stretching he slowly got to his feet, feeling ready to go and do things.

As Kaine shifted, so did Kulaas's wing. The membrane folded back against her, letting the morning's light shine on the man. She felt his hand brush her scales, and her brilliantly blue eye opened to regard him. He was marveling at her beauty, to which she promptly snorted in the dragon's form of a laugh. Your words do not go unheard. I appreciate that you see me in a new, perhaps better, way now, she said, amusement coating her internal voice. As he stood, she stretched both wings high above her head, neck craning toward the sky. She hefted herself to her feet, shaking her head. She'd been in the same position for several days, and she could feel her muscles protest the motions.

Peering down at the man, she tilted her head, inspecting the new, draconic parts of him. Well, it would seem that my blood and the magic of the Staff blended rather nicely. It's not uncommon for two differing magics to clash and cause harm. She turned her paw over so he could stand on it if he wished.

Would you like to see yourself? You should become accustomed to your new form before you charge forward. Worry not, we will move soon, but for now, it is best if you learn what has changed about yourself. You slept for several days, after all. It is a new sensation to change from one form to another, but it's something I know quite well. Her words weren't unkind, and if he so chose to move ahead with his plans, she would oblige. After all, it would mean the building of a civilization that would put her in her rightful place again.

"My appearance is unimportant," Came the response "We've lingered too long already, my soul is impatient to begin the great work, first we must go to a lake in these mountains, you would know it well." He grinned "It's called the Shores of Hell afterall, that vast lake of molten magma, as I understand it is absolutely overflowing with metals."

He was unaware of the mythology surrounding the location, no one had been able to harvest anything from it, given that it was a huge lake of boiling hot magma, and that even the surrounding area was filled with such heat that most creatures could not survive in the area, he would be able to now, extreme temperatures wouldn't bother him like they used to anymore.

Suddenly he seemed to be considering something, and knowing she could peer into his mind, that level of intimacy with Kulaas didn't bother him anymore, she could see he was thinking about the logistics of what he was planning and after a moment he told her "Hmmm...actually, in order to get this going...we'll need some way of transporting the goods, the dwarves can't even come to the location, so...here's the plan, we'll go to the Shores, from there I am going to create two things."

"Firstly," he explained "A large number of iron ingots, stored in a metal box, I know you can carry that in one of your claws, then in the other some examples of the craftsmanship I can produce with the Staff, also stored in a metal box, then we are going to head to the dwarven kingdom, and barter, the ingots will be to pay them so they can create a harness for you, it's not dignified, but I'll need you to carry the goods."

Suddenly he realized he hadn't explained everything and smacked his head with a rueful smile "Sorry, getting ahead of myself, the plan is this, the dwarves have been besieged by some time, they're fierce warriors, but...the mines with which they mine iron and mithril and other metals for their weapons and arms have run dry, so what equipment they have is starting to wear down and they can't replace what they need, if they could they could sweep away their attackers."

"So...let's bring them something, in return they'll provide me with things I can't make with just metal, and then I can trade to tap into their vast quantities of wealth, which I will use to employ an army of mercenaries, quite a few companies are extreme professionals and loyal to whoever holds their contract, then I can use them to seize a kingdom of my own, and since I am of noble blood...no one will overly object, do you approve?"

Kulaas nodded, respecting his choice. He wasn't necessarily the leader, but he was ready to go, and that was something she could follow. She stretched her wings and her claws, shaking out the tiredness from her muscles. At his words, she peered down, lowering her head so she was eye level with the newly draconic man. He wanted to traverse the Shores of Hell, a place none dared to go, not even her. She had been there before, but even dragons had a limit to how much they could endure. Her fellow kin had suffered horrible fates, and it was part of the reason why the volcano had been capped. There were still some entrances, but she herself had barricaded them. However much she didn't like the place, Kaine was correct in his assumption.

That didn't make it any less dangerous. Her big eye narrowed as he kept talking. He wanted to make a pact with the dwarves, and that much she understood. To craft an empire, one needed allies. While she was strong, she could not overtake all of Kaine's enemies should he make them. To make allies, one needed goods to trade with. Considering Kaine only had Kulaas and the Staff - and certainly neither of those items were going anywhere - he needed something else. The ore in the Shores of Hell was strong, rivaling that of mithril and crystal in terms of strength and tenacity from existing in such temperatures for so long.

This, the noble dragon could understand and accept.

What she didn't like was how she would be reduced to carrying these goods.

She was silent for a few minutes after his proposal, lengthening the quiet into something uncomfortable. A pack mule, she said, internal tone flat. You're using me as a pack mule for some metal. She knew the complexity of it all, but the bare bones of his plan relied on her complying to it all. You seem to have put much hope into my agreeing to this. She didn't sound angry, but there were lingering undertones of frustration residing in her tone.

Finally, she sighed, black smoke curling from her nostrils. I suppose I can do this. You've promised me much in this new empire of yours, and I expect to be the best it can possibly in exchange for this. It wasn't the fairest of trades, but there wasn't much room for an argument. Few dared to speak to dragons, let alone argue with them.

Come. I will show you the way. While you are much stronger than you were, you must take care not to linger inside the Shores. You will have to make many trips to get what you desire, even with my help. Such places were not meant to be stayed in. Even I can only withstand the Shores for so long. Kulaas picked him up, but instead of letting him stay on her paw, she placed him on her back, settling him in between the sharp spines that lined her body. As long as she took care not to twist herself around, he would be safe. He could even hold onto one of the spines as a saddle horn, even though their trip would be short.

The dragon flapped her wings, pushing herself into the air. The biggest entrance to the Shores was hidden away deep at the base of the volcano, but the heat emanating from the dirt was enough to dry out the trees near the entrance. Still, no one stayed there, and at least there was the satisfaction of knowing the razorkin wouldn't touch them there. She circled the volcano a few times, lowering herself to the ground when she found a suitable place to land. She had positioned herself in front of a large hole that was completely blocked by heavy boulders and dried magma.

She let Kaine climb off her back before she pushed the boulders away with several earthy cracks, breaking the seal she'd once put on the volcano's darkest place. Heat poured from the nooks as she moved the boulders away until the entrance was finally open again. It was big enough for her to crawl through comfortably, and she wasted no time in moving through the space. Quickly. We will make this as painless as we possibly can. I do not wish to linger here.

Last edited:
"Kulaas..." Kaine said softly "I value your pride, it's one of the beautiful things about dragons, but right now...you can't cling to it, you're in my head, you know I wouldn't be asking you if there was any way, this won't work without your cooperation."

We're both going to have to do things we don't like to make this work. He thought, knowing she'd hear him. Nobody changed the world by refusing to get their hands dirty. Placing a palm on her nose he waited for her response, finally Kulaas gave a tired sigh along with her assent to the plan.

Kaine quietly gave a quiet sigh of his own, out of relief, he'd been concerned she would refuse, but he supposed he should have known better, Kulaas was far from unreasonable, she hadn't survived this long by being a stubborn idiot. So she had assented simply because she recognized the necessity of it all.

Then they were off, and he clung easily to her back, Kaine quietly marveled at how much his strength had increased, his vitality was incredible to feel, he wasn't sure he'd ever felt this healthy before in his entire life and he thought to himself, knowing she'd hear him Is this how you dragon's feel all the time? Like mortal concerns are beneath you? No feeling tired, sick, or weak?

Within a short time they were there and Kulaas had cracked the way in, and they entered the Shores of Hell.

They were aptly named, once they'd wound their way through the tunnel and entered the huge basin underneath the mountain itself, he flinched at how hot it was, a huge lake of magma flowed through here, brought up from deep underground by mild tectonic activity and then flowing back down into the bowel's of the earth once more.

Sweat popped out over his skin, and he knew if he hadn't been changed he'd be dead right now.

He fell to his knees, gasping as he tried to fight off the heat, toxic fumes filled the air, and his draconic enhanced physiology struggled to keep him breathing, even Kulaas looked deeply uncomfortable down here. Suddenly...a glowing, cool light flowed forth from the Staff, washing over them both.

And just like that, the heat and air became much more tolerable, they still wouldn't be able the linger here very long, but the Staff could protect them from the worst of it for a while, a power Kaine had not heard it had. Useful to know though...

Then he focused on the power of the Staff itself, and the runes along it's length began to glow brightly, he sensed an eagerness in the artifact, to begin finally doing what it was made to do again, an almost...happy sensation, which made Kaine's heart sing in response.

Power flowed through him, his hair standing up straight and he gasped as he felt the almost electric sensation in the air, as the Staff did what he bid it, it knew what he wanted, molten metal began to flow out of the lake in long streams, defying gravity in the most incredible way.

Within the span of ten minutes, a very large metal box filled to the brim with ingots was available, Kaine marveled, the Staff had even been able to refine the iron into high-quality steel, using nothing but it's own magics, and he could sense very clearly that the energies and power of the artifact were not in the least bit diminished.

In fact, the Staff, sensing that he was done here for now, seemed...disappointed, ideas flashed through his mind of what it could do, what marvels it could create if he would only let it! Shaking his head, Kaine shook himself out of his reverie and calmly reassured the artifact Soon...very soon...this is only one step on a long journey.

I'm...talking to a magical artifact, I've truly gone mad...

But it wasn't madness, not really, he knew the Staff was alive.

"Alright Kulaas...let's get out of here, and head to the dwarven kingdom to make our first trade."

Reactions: Saren
Kulaas hated the Shores of Hell. She had gone deep into the depths several times, but once was more than enough. In order to achieve Kaine's goal and start building his kingdom, they needed all the precious ore they could get. There was no way Kaine could do it all on his own, but even with her help, they would have to venture in and out more times than she might have liked. As they pushed forward, the intense heat threatened to scald her scales and burn them right off. The sweltering air sickened her, and she had to take deep breaths in order to pry the oxygen from the heat. Kaine was suffering far more than she, but there was nothing she could do to help. She had already done enough by forging the Pact with him and granting him her draconic features. He would have to hold his own against the Shores.

Suddenly, the Staff shone in Kaine's hands, glistening energy rays washing and crossing over the heat waves. Kulaas felt the air lighten as the Staff's magic bore the brunt of the Shores. It was still hard to take in, but she could breathe without feeling ill. Kaine was able to stand again, and the Staff spoke to him in a way that only a god's magic could. Kulaas, though Pacted with Kaine, was not privy to such a sensation, but she could see the effects before her own eyes. Power flooded all around them, just as the molten river did the volcano, and a steely substance began to separate from the magma. It pooled near them, though Kulaas had enough sense not to touch it. Though Kaine controlled the flow, he could not control the heat coming off the liquid metal or its ability to burn them.

It didn't take long for Kaine to gather a fair amount of the metal. The Staff had transmuted the iron into steel, and Kaine had used some to craft a steel container to hold the other ingots in. It wasn't so big or heavy that Kulaas couldn't move it around, but it was more than enough for an initial offering to the dwarves. She had felt the crackling power in the air as Kaine used the staff to change it all; it had been many centuries since she'd seen someone use it. Dragons had no need for such metals, but the other races had drained the earth of such resources time and time again.

As Kaine finished up, Kulaas hefted the box forward, shoving it through the rocky hallway they'd come through. The air became cooler and soothed her burning lungs, and when they breached the outside world once again, Kulaas took a few seconds to expel the hot air from her body. They had to fly to the dwarven kingdom, as it was a few days travel on land. Even in the air, Kulaas would be slower while carrying the container full of ingots. The land had changed while she lounged on the Kalvark Mountains, and she had seen the growth of the Wild Forest now that the other races had abandoned such a place. They would have to search hard among the ever changing landscapes to find the dwarven kingdom.

Kulaas lifted Kaine onto her back before her claws grasped the box. She gripped it hard as she flapped her wings and shot up into the sky. Her ascent wasn't as quick as before, but she still gained altitude until they were far above the trees, leveling with the peaks of the mountains. I have not ventured so far to find any dwarves in a long time. You will need to lead me to them, she said to him after finding a suitable level to fly at. I am sure they will marvel at your offering and at least speak to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.