The Interesting Case of Two Opposites.

Barnes followed Webb out and down the street, using a quicker pace to keep up with the taller man. It was nice to get out as get some air, one could only handle a dusty shop for so long until it started to become to much. He looked around the street, waving to anyone who addressed him and saying a quick hello before moving on with Webb. When he was asked about being a book vendor he smiled a bit.

"It's more work than one would think. You have to be organized and clean, or the books could get ruined. You have to keep fair prices or you'll lose customers. You have to know your authors so when people as about them you can give them plenty of information. You also have to be well read so if someone asks you opinion on a book, you can give a professional sounding one. Along with that there is shelving the books making orders and keeping track of which novel is coming out when...Yes it is quite a lot of work." She explained as he looked up at the older man.

Webb listened intently to Barnes, honestly interested in what he had to say about his work. The tall man had never worked a day in his life, but was the idea of keeping himself busy with a bookshop sounded terribly appealing. Maybe it was because he was usually so bored. Never sad or angry that he didn't have work, that would be in poor taste -- boredom was far more socially acceptable. Webb's brother had a friend who often worked at a local museum, despite the fact that man was upper class, and didn't need to work for his supper like Barnes did. Webb had found it marvelously quaint, but now, it was starting to seem like a mockery of the common folk. He scratched his chin. Bristles were starting to form there, despite the fact that he had shaved just a day ago.

"I can imagine that could get tiresome. Is your father the owner of the shop?" He asked, running a hand through his thick brown curls, and tugging on one of them idly, "Do you work in the shop all the time? Don't you go to dinner and shows with friends and acquaintances?"

Barnes smiled up at him, though it was a bit of a sad one.

"My father passed away a few years ago, my mother is the technical owner but she never knew much about business, so I run it by myself." He admitted politely as he continued to walk with Webb. "My sister helps on occasion but she plans on becoming a semstress and really doesn't have much of an interest in books. That's one of the reasons I don't go out very much."

The other reasons were that he didn't really connect with most men his age. While they were talking about picking brides and playing poker he prefered to talk about books and societies issues. On top of that he just prefered to read than go out, usually rather tired at the end of a long work day. He looked back up at Webb and smiled his kind smile once again.

"What about you, Mr. Webb? Do you do anything like a hobby, I don't say work because you certainly don't neeed to." He joked lightly.

The tall man blinked. He didn't know much about these things. His family was never unified by a bookshop and probably never be. He was one of those men who was considered to be the black sheep of a highly respectable household. He had no brides in mind, no games to play, and he, like Barnes, was the bookish type who sat in his study and moped- like a hero of a bygone age. Webb straightened his clothes, his vanity getting to him.

"I read," he said flatly, "And I take handsome and clever men to tea." He smiled slightly, to show to Barnes that he was merely being playful. He was beginning to feel more comfortable around Barnes, and he figured that was a good thing. He needed somebody as down to earth as Barnes in his life. It reminded him of what he was, "Now, just around this corner, Mr. Barnes..." He rounded the corner and there was a small house with a large garden. Many fine gentlemen and ladies sat in the white-painted iron seats and tables, laughing, talking, having tea. Webb had been here many times before, and walked through the garden to a table sheltered by a large lilac bush and away from the noise of the people. It was his usual table, and as soon as he sat down, Webb felt a rush of comfort. It was the scent of the lilacs, he figured.

Barnes smiled and laughed a bit, catching Webbs playfulness easily. He had to admit that this man was rather uplifting to him. He wasn't one to spoil himself with talk and tea, always working and sorting out books. Maybe this was what Mordecai needed, to losen up a bit adn relax, enjoy the day and not lock himself up with all of his books so much. As they arrived at the small house he was rather impressed, he didn't know that such a lovely place was just only a walk away from his shop.

He followed Webb to a table and couldn't help but smile as he noticed the lilac's, they were such lovely flowers and smelled wonderfully. He couldn't help be relax a bit from the smell and smile to himself as he looked around at all the high class people speaking. He really felt spoiled now, even that he many not belong. He didn't think about it to much and instead looked back to Mr. Webb.

"So, Mind if I ask how you are enjoying your new books? I hope they are to your liking." He said with a smile.

Webb smiled pleasantly, and pulled the white napkin off the table and sat it in his lap. He looked across the table, at Barnes. Rather, through Barnes. He was thinking about what he had engaged in with those books, how he had traced each word in his mid, devoured the story and the character's of each chapter with a fascination that scientists usually reserved for their specimens. He realized that he was glazing over, and clearly, was not being the best of company for his young book-keeper. He sat up a little straighter, "Yes," He replied, "I'm enjoying them quite a bit. I've read about half of the one with the solider and the foreign girl," He stared off, "It's interesting that two people so different could feel the way they do. But I do suppose that's a common cliche in literature; from Romeo and Juliet on."

A young waiter came up to them and peered at Webb's guest. He stiffened, but said nothing other than to Webb, "Your usual afternoon tea set-up, sir?" Webb nodded and waved him away with the flick of one long elegant finger. He clearly had a presence here. He leaned back in his seat, and reached over to pluck a bough of lilac, and reached over to brush it against Barnes cheek. He didn't know why he did it. To tease the book-keeper perhaps. He smiled gently, and the smile implied the gesture meant nothing more than that the gentleman was in a playful mood.

Barnes smiled when Webb said he was enjoying the book, it meant that he had done his job properly. He nodded his head in agreement when Webb compared the story to Romeo and Juliet; it was a common theme in many books that had romantic parts. He leaned back in his chair quietly for a moment as he thought of a way to respond, he always loved to make debates out of things, it was how he got most of his converstaions started. It wasn't that he was trying to start a fight but people seemed to talk more when their opinion was threatened which meant he would certainly learn more. Before he could respon though the waiter came and he felt his stomach sink a bit.

He knew the waiter noticed his lesser status, even in his best clothing he looked like a commoner. He tried to not let that get him down though, he had been intived by Mr. webb himself, that must have meant that he was of some level of interest if not an atempt at friendship. When the waiter left his eyes went back to Webb and his cheek was gently brushed by the flower. When he saw the smile on Webb's face his own grew as he plucked the flower from his hands and looked it over quietly.

"Even though the novel has that theme it also has quite a few differences as well, like the main males conflict over the choices he has to make. It is about him, not just the romance."

Webb looked at Barnes with his dark brown eyes. There was a flicker of warmth, affection, or perhaps just sheer hapiness to be with another human being who understood him, and had the same interest as him. Barnes wasn't like Webb's brother's friend who merely parroted back whatever Webb said. They were so bland, so banal. He pushed a curl of his dark hair out of his eyes, "You're right, the romance isn't the important thing. It's a bout the man, and the choices he makes, but more importantly I think its about his perception of events. Our perception is wildly different from one another. We have unique perception." He made a sweeping gesture, like some ancient prophet saying 'Lo!'.

He gestured to the over tables as covertly as he could, "What do you see, Mr. Barnes? I have a feeling that what you will see will be quite different from what I see," He licked his lips. He was excited by this exercise, and curious as to what Barnes would might say, "The perception of the solider is sympathetic towards the foreign girl but why? Somebody else could easily view her as a monster," He tucked another curl behind his ear, "Isn't that a miracle." He sat back in his chair, "So, Mordecai," using the book-keeper's name for the first time, "What do you see?"

Barnes looked around at the other people quietly, Webb made a good point. He certainly saw things differently compared to him or any other person. He was of different class so it made sense that he viewed certain things differently from those of higher class. He turned back to Webb and was a little surprised when he used his first name, not having expected it from the man at all. He smiled a little though, it was rather nice to be addressed in such an informal way.

"I see another world Mr. Webb, like I'm outside looking in. It certainly isn't what I'm used too, this is not the world that I grew up in at all." He said as he looked back over the other people. "I'm certain you see something very different though. Since we are of different classes it is only natural that our views will be different."

Webb looked at the people, in their fussy dresses and suits, and the warmth left his eyes. He sighed, and slumped a little in his chair, his head becoming crowned by the lilac bush, which deposited some of the flowers into his thick dark curls. Webb pretended not to notice, "You know what I see, Mordecai?" He looked over the people, and gestured with his hand, "Sadness. These people will never experience anything, they will never be in love like our solider is in love, and their entire life is mapped out for them," Webb swallowed. It hit close to home. His entire life was an inescapable maze of planned social gatherings, planned marriages, and planned children. Planned lives. He sighed a little. He wondered about what Barnes had said about their classes. He didn't think that was the point. His point was that everyone, even people of the same class, who had been raised the same way saw the world differently.

Webb shook the lilacs out of his curls, "I will never love like our solider has loved," He said quietly, only loud enough for Barnes to hear him, "And in these people and in myself I find great ugliness. Behind the clothes, the glamour, the everything, these people will never know anything." He spat the words out. He felt his shoulders go tense, and then he relaxed, realizing he was working himself up, "I apologize. I just find it interesting, that's all."

Barnes listened intently to what Webb had to say, he made an interestig point. Even his life was mapped out for him when he was young, having been pulled out of school as soon as he was old enough to put on a work apron and read a book. He couldn't help but wonder if that was how Webb felt though, that he was also forced to have his life mapped out for him. He didn't agree with him on the love topic though, anyone could find love if they tried hard enough to find it. Love certainly wasn't just going to fall into one's lap for them to pick up and look at stupidly. He adjusted himself and sat a bit strighter in his chair.

"I have to disagree with you on one thing, Mr. Webb. The only reason that anyone, including yourself, will not love like that soldier is because they themselves are not letting it happen. Love is possible if you actually try to find it." He said politely as he motioned to the people. "You see sadness, I see a choice. They choose to let their lives be controlled, they don't take the risk to get what they truly want."