2. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Sci-Fi
...or just the Coalition for short. Calling them the IMC (or God forbid, their full name) would be a bit pretentious, no?

Let's start with the basics.

The story begins at an undetermined point in time, long, long ago. The records are a bit murky - straight-up redacted or destroyed, in fact - but the origins of the Coalition can be traced back to one man. One man and one dying universe.

One man single-handedly built the Coalition from the ground up, with nothing except what he could salvage, and with no one except a small group of dedicated followers. Over the years - no, centuries - the Coalition has grown into a truly multiversal organization, with connections to literal hundreds of thousands of universes, and "employees" amounting in the tens of thousands, with chains of command running the length of it all and bureaucracy spanning its entirety - like a proper big organization should.

Their objective: to protect the multiverse from any and all threats, to explore and chart the unknown, and to record and catalog the known. But most important of all - they defend the universe they are based in with valor. If it were to die, the multiverse will eventually destabilize and cease to exist.

But why all these... arbitrary rules? And who the fuck are these people and where do they come from?

We'll do this again, but from a more practical point of view.

The multiverse is vast, and infinite. This means that anything can happen, or cannot happen. May happen, or may or happen. The logistics here are a bit skewed and weird, so let's just stop at the whole "literally anything is possible because everything is infinite" part.

The universe the Coalition is based in is the "Original" universe, and the man who founded the Coalition is referred to as the "Prime". The multiverse works like so: imagine a single universe, baseline reality, nothing special. That's the Original. Then it gets copied, and now there's two universes. Those split again, and there's four. Similar to how bacteria divide, or how one would roll a snowball until it becomes huge, the universe count grows until it is effectively infinite.

So what happens to the copies of universes? Well, like how a game of Broken Telephone is played, the universes become less and less based in reality as the sequence goes on, and universes begin to develop other things: people with superpowers, modified human physiques, or changes to landscape, flora or fauna.

As for the employees of the Coalition, well, they're all copies of the Prime, referred to as "Variants". Each and every variant is different; they possess different physical features, psychological attributes, and innate abilities (or the lack thereof). Of course, owning to the infinite multiverse and a non-zero odd of everything being possible, some of them may look similar - same, even - but that's not the focus of this RP.

Variants range from admin workers who sit behind desks and slam away at keyboards too day to operatives whose lives can pretty much be turned into an autobiography-turned-action flick. They are warriors, scribes, and trailblazers, and each of them has their own, unique story to tell.

You, the players, would be able to customize your ideal Variant, who will be your own character. From there, the Variants - player-controlled and NPCs alike - will embark on Incursions: short and sweet RP segments during which anything could happen. It could be a combat mission, or a simple recon op, or a deep undercover infiltration gone wrong, or a search and rescue mission. Afterwards, they will return to base for a debrief, and thus ending the segment.

There will also be a more open RP section which focuses on the daily lives of your Variant during their off time. In their quarters, in the mess hall, in the library, in the gym... anything goes, anyone can talk to one another so long as it makes sense, and can even be staging grounds for character development.

This does mean one thing, however - you will not be able to bring in your own character as a Variant, unless you change them to be so. There can be opportunities where you can cameo one or two of your own characters as people affiliated with (or hostile against) the Coalition, but it will probably be a case-by-case basis.

That's about it for the RP. Please feel free to ask anything about it, and I'll do my best to reply.

Reactions: CoffeeCake
I would be interessed playing in.

Well, kind of still alive. The more people we have, the more alive this place is :P

I am interested in this game, as you describe it here. This sounds like a nice, fun spot for me to get back into RP on one of my former favorite places. I feel inspired by the storytelling opportunities of your pitch, but I've grown wary and weary of tediously detailed character sheet requirements and length minimums that force other players to cram otherwise succinct posts with filler. I've passed up a lot of otherwise promising threads over that.

edit: I clicked post prematurely by accident. -_-" Anyway, I know my concerns are weird since I'm one of the naturally long-winded ones, but still I don't like forcing it on others. I feel, it often shows.

I can't say anything with certainty until I know how you're doing this, but the way you pitch it here? I'd love to play this.

Last edited:
I am interested in this game, as you describe it here. This sounds like a nice, fun spot for me to get back into RP on one of my former favorite places. I feel inspired by the storytelling opportunities of your pitch, but I've grown wary and weary of tediously detailed character sheet requirements and length minimums that force other players to cram otherwise succinct posts with filler. I've passed up a lot of otherwise promising threads over that.

edit: I clicked post prematurely by accident. -_-" Anyway, I know my concerns are weird since I'm one of the naturally long-winded ones, but still I don't like forcing it on others. I feel, it often shows.

I can't say anything with certainty until I know how you're doing this, but the way you pitch it here? I'd love to play this.

Yay! More people!

I'm not a fan of overly-long character sheets either, but I do want a fleshed-out character - not that yours is not.

Keep an eye out for this place! We may get more people yet - and then we could probably start!

Understood.

It's just that I naturally obsess over characterization and arcs. I try to foresee what I can do to provide plot candies for other players and the GMs and avoid leaving dead ends, but I do some of my best work on the fly in chat RPs(which is, sadly, rarely due to being busy). When I pre-plan too much--which I do about at least 95% of the time--I end up thinking and writing endless drafts and revisions more than posting and letting games I actually like die! It's crazy but true.

I'm going to try hard not to do that regardless. I want this to succeed.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm very interested in this!

Nice, more people!

I might start this soon. But first, I gotta do all the other stuff like characters and sign-ups and whatnot...

@Yoru @Ur Degaton @CoffeeCake @Mystical Fox

The RP is officially up and running! We're not very big, but I thought might as well start it now, instead of either dying before we even start or getting too many people and not being able to handle the traffic. Nice and cozy, I say.

The Discord server is up! Feel free to join, or just reply to me here if you're not familiar with Discord. Read up on stuff, while I link the Character Sheet and Signup page to Discord!