The Importance of Curses and Life

Celeres was on the edge of his seat again as he watched Anthony. He knew he wasn't close enough to the man to call him 'Arthur', no- not any more. Not since they were boys before schooling and life had separated them. The only person his own age besides Racquel he'd ever gotten attached to. It caused his heart to pang unhappily when he saw that hit that had Anthony down on the dirt. Like Racquel, he gasped and clapped for the man.

It was only once the fight was finished that Celeres realized that she was very, much more interested than expected, in Anthony's matches. That made him swallow, clutching the almonds she suddenly handed back and he had to blink to clear his head. She was telling him something. "A promise?" Well, Anthony was done for now... It would make sense. Celeres gave a little smile. "Of course, Racquel. I'll let you know everything that happens. You go and do what you have to do. Promises are not to be taken lightly." He popped an almond in his mouth. "Don't think the almonds will be here when you get back though." He gave a little false chuckle and shooed her off.

Surely she was going to Anthony. Surely.

"Go."

Celeres turned his attention away for moment. At least there would be entertainment while the servants cleared the field of debris. At least if there was shouts of pleasure or whatever else he wouldn't have to hear it. How could he be so blind? How could he think that with someone like Racquel he'd have a chance? It wasn't like he wanted to marry her but she was definitely a better choice than any of the other lady's his age.

Maybe a trip to the tavern was in order. Surely a tavern wench would help this crushing loneliness.

Soon enough the field was cleared and the shooting targets were set up.

His match was done and Arthur was pulling off his helmet, paldron and arm guards. There was no need for him to be in heavy armor for the archery potion of the tournament. The swords were being collected and he retrieved his bow before his steward arrived to help him out of the rest of his armor and hand a simple tunic over his shoulders and help him pull on the right gloves and tend to his shoulder. The shoulder might be a problem. "Maybe a forfeit is in order." the steward suggested after Arthur grunted in pain but he shook his head. "Bind it and see what you can do anything my armor repaired. I know I'll do using the other for the joust but I think that paldron just cost me the bow."

With a bandage around the join it was clear he was injured and then he was leaning back to have his hair fixed before the competition began. This was Arthur's first year competing in all three events and he didn't want to forfeit any of them if he had the chance... besides he had won the bow last year so it was his duty to go first.

Across the arena, in the other stands, a figure dressed in fine satin, amongst so many others, watched the royal box, narrowing his eyes.

Giving a proper curtsie, but with an impish grin, Racquel quickly exited the royal box and was quickly getting herself lost in the crowd. She knew some short cuts home, and while they would cause many shocks if anyone noticed her, nearly everyone was at the tournament. Once within the garden walls she went from a sprint to a full run, neatly going up the stairs two at a time once she got inside and only stopping once she was in her room. From the bottom of a chest she pulled out her pants, and an oversized shirt she had acquired for just this event. She didn't want it to be obvious she was female. There would be far too many questions if anyone noticed.

As quickly as she arrived Racquel was off again, her hair under a cap, her bow slung over her shoulder and a large grin on her face. Arriving once more at the tournament yard she got in line for the archery competition. She would allow herself to be excited until she grabbed her bow. Until then everyone saw a very excited boy that maybe shouldn't have been there, but on such a day no one would deny someone the excitement.