Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, mystery, slice of life, dark fantasy, fandom, pirate stuff coz it's badass... yeah.
Everyone needs an escape- a way to kick back and relax after a stressful day, or a creative outlet. Since this is a roleplaying site I'd assume the vast majority of us have found rp-ing one way of enjoying our free time. For some it may just be a hobby, but for others, writing collaborative stories and meeting the community might of had a deeper impact. I know several couples who have met through roleplaying and through iwaku, and I've met so many supportive people willing to shoulder the burdens of another person whom they've only ever met online.

So... if I may ask...

How has roleplaying/iwaku impacted you?

I've made more friends than I can count through this hobby, and I've become a repository for all of their weird inside jokes. I got to talk people through tough times, when otherwise we would've never met and I would've never been able to help them. I get to joke with European friends about the kinds of crappy weather we have in common, while I live with my mom in Seattle. I love having discovered RP and the people I discovered with it.

Threads like this are great, and I'd like to thank you for starting one.

Reactions: Thornapple
It's definitely an escape from reality. Always has been. And it's a hobby I've always enjoyed. It's taught me many lessons, from how not to be an asshole GM, to how properly handle someone you don't exactly agree with, and many other things. I love roleplaying! <3

I don't find it's made a massive impact on me honestly, but it's probably one of the better hobbies I have. I really am invested in my characters and stories. I also love having a productive hobby and I have made some awesome friends! It is a nice alternative reality to live in 8)

Years ago, it was a huge confidence-booster. I felt pretty awesome about being the GM that I was (although I'll admit it did inflate my ego a bit). Today, my life is a bit more troubled, and there's a lot of shit I'm trying to work though -- but RPing is something that I can still look to as something that I'm skilled and confident in. So I suppose it's still fulfilling the role of being a confidence-booster, just in a very different context, when I have a very different need for it.

It's also generally made me better at managing and organizing things, and I feel it's improved my people skills.

It also continuously serves as a good outlet for my overactive imagination. Altera Arcana, for example, has proved to be a really awesome worldbuilding experience. And unlike, say, writing a novel, or just doing any personal creative project, RPing works a lot better for me because there isn't a specific endgoal in mind. I don't have to feel bad about not finishing things (which was kind of a problem for me before I got into RPing -- and continues to be a problem with really any personal creative projects I take on). Also, the interactivity of RPing really gives me a good reason to continue the story and fuels my desire to keep going in the first place.

Roleplaying in general has helped me improve my writing. I used to write a whole lot before I started, but once I began writing with others, I discovered many different styles people had, how their characters were, how they created worlds, backstories, drama, what not. It was intriguing and helped me push myself to do the same.

Even now, after a few years, it continues to do the same. Many times I read others' roleplays (while stalking ;) ) and I think to myself that there is still a long way for me to go. Sometimes it's a little disheartening, but most of the time I just take it as a challenge. Lazy I may be, but writing is my passion and something I really wish to be good at. Not just good, but the best that I can be.

As for Iwaku in particular? To be honest, even after more than a year, I haven't roleplayed over here all that much. That being said, I have a lot of affection for this site. It was here for me during a really hard time in my life when I felt super lonely and though I was going to break. I made a great friend and met quite a few cool people. I was able to connect with people and nerd about things I love (thank you Game of Thrones thread).

Well... I best stop before I get all sappy. ^_^'

Status
Not open for further replies.